Digby's at The New Ellington
23 - 25 York Place
Leeds, LS1 2EYNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
Digby's at The New Ellington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thenewellington.co.uk/restaurant/
- Phone: 0113 204 2150
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 6.30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Manager 01132042150x
A word from Digby's at The New Ellington
Set in Leeds' bustling business district, The New Ellington is a chic boutique hotel on York Place that caters to an upmarket, business oriented crowd. Luxurious and discreet, this subterranean dining room at The New Ellington is dressed in plum, chocolate and cream tones with crystal curtain hangings, high-backed banquette seating and stylish portraits of jazz greats and movie stars. With its own gin bar, wi-fi,and stylish clientele, the restaurant at The New Ellington has a retro ‘50s feel and this is a fantastic place for long afternoon meetings, breakfast dates, dinner parties and secret rendezvous. With an excellent wine list and low lighting, this seductive little space is one of Leeds’ best kept secrets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Digby's at The New Ellington reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since 27 November 2013
special occasions (13)romance (9)fit for foodies (5)business meals (3)pre/post theatre (3)group bookings (1)outstanding value (1)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- Nice ambience & good serviceJayho1Dined on 1/11/2014Enjoyed our evening at Digbys, food was good as was the service. The menu is small but still had a reasonable choice, i had scallops to start and they were the smallest ones I've ever eaten but we're still tasty. I would recommend the cheese board as it was lovely. Excellent choice of gins too. Overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely location for special eventsMrsjackal2014Dined on 25/10/2014Wonderful location for special occasions. Great food, outstanding service and more gin cocktails than you can think of! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent meal in odd surroundingsJorreDined on 22/10/2014Good but not amazing food from a fairly standard menu. Service was very good, attentive and friendly. The atmosphere and decor wasn't so good though, a bit like being on a cruise ship.Special Features:
- WaynecDined on 7/8/2014Very quiet ...the resturant is located in the basement . We went on a Thursday night and it was very quiet . Food was to the standard you expect from this type of resturant and was to a good standard. I would not go again due to location and ambience ..Special Features:
- Disappointing from start to finishMrsEDined on 17/7/2014Booked this restaurant as wanted to try somewhere new in Leeds to celebrate my 40th birthday. A friend telephoned to make a reservation btut was told that the restaurant was fully booked every Thursday in July and August, yet we were able to book for 6 people, through Top Table. On arrival the restaurant was virtually empty and it didn't fill up for the entire time we were there, so its difficult to understand why the information was given to us that this restaurant was fully booked. The service was very slow, the waiters inattentive and disinterested. There wasn't much ambience, but this could be because the restaurant wasn't particularly full. The food was OK- the salmon was a cheap cut, rather than a fillet.. Won't visit again.
- Meal reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/6/2014Nice meal, good atmosphere, good food and friendly and efficient serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceBeansyDined on 31/5/2014Excellent attention to detail with all 3 courses. All waiting staff very attentive throughout the evening. Really good venue to relax in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love ginLovnightsoutDined on 24/5/2014Fantastic food and a fab selection of gin.service was excellent and reasonable price.The deco is lovely tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- easter a new ellingtonmazzyhollywoodDined on 19/4/2014Great food, delicious, hot and well presented. Also had breakfast which was excellent standard. Staff great and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a very strong restaurantJonxyzDined on 12/4/2014Having had some amazing meals here in the past, I was a bit concerned From the quite pedestrian menu on toptable that the new Ellington might have gone downhill. Fortunately not the case! Still some really interesting things on the menu, beautifully presented and tasty too. And reasonably priced. A five star experience for a three star price. The gin bar with around fifty gins and multiple kinds of tonic also makes for a really nice pre dinner experience. Not generally a busy buzzing dining room, it's great for a more intimate, family or business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beEmskiVIPDined on 29/3/2014I have always been a big fan of the New Ellington's restaurant. In the past I have found this to be something of a hidden gem - usually fairly quiet but fantastic, tasty, adventurous food. This was our first trip back since the rebrand to Digbys and I was a bit disappointed. The canapés are no longer offered and the menu is much more run of the mill, mainly consisting of steaks (two of which were sold out) and fish. The service was great and the ambience good (perhaps the toned down menu has attracted more hotel guests?). However as a non-guest I will be less inclined to trek out here in future as you can get a decent steak anywhere in town. Bring back the imaginative food! (The pear piano dessert I had once was the best dessert ever!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very friendlyleedsdinerDined on 22/3/2014Service was very friendly and professional. We arrived early and were the only ones in the restaurant for a good hour, this meant our starters were very quickly despatched. One of our mains was salmon and was full of bones, we were apologised to but no further overture was made. The best part of the meal was the starters which were very tasty. We would recommend the Digby for a special occasion meal where you would perhaps spend more than usual. Over all very good xxSpecial Features:
- The food was ok,dined as ahungrytumDined on 8/3/2014The food was ok,dined as a couple and chose the steak meal.The chips were a bit soggy,the wine was warm (waiter took it away to chill and had to be reminded to bring it back).The cost of the meal i thought was expensive.Same price as a recently visited local michelin stared restaurant but not in the same league. Staff young but friendly and polite Disappointing evening
- Lovely eveningVic185Dined on 16/12/2013Was a Monday night so it was quiet with just a few other tables - but we were there for our anniversary so it wasn't a problem. Food was lovely and interesting. Would have loved the staff to explain what was on our plates when they served each course as what arrived was beautifully complicated (foams, gels, cones etc) and so understanding what flavours were in what would've added to the experience.Special Features:
- Great venue for an get togetherRobCDined on 7/12/2013We chose Digby's for a pre-Xmas get together with some old friends as I had eaten there a couple of years ago. The ambience of the bar and restaurant was excellent and the service superb. The food was of a high quality although the portions of some of the meals could have been a little bigger. The choice is excellent though, and we had a great time. Given that we had drinks in the bar, a number of bottles of wine with the meal and drinks afterwards the overall cost was very reasonable. I would highly recommend Digby's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 342 reviews are from the Digby's at The New Ellington reviews archive.
- ExcellentCharisDined on 16/11/2013Fantastic food, service and relaxed atmosphere. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second VisitLee33Dined on 9/11/2013This was out second visit to Digbys and we took along some friends. The food was amazing with a friendly atmosphere we were not rushed to our table Or off it at the end if the night. Only downside are the cocktails, the are of good quality but there are many places You can drink better cocktails for less, it also took on average 15-20mins for cocktails to arrive for 4 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceFoodie4uDined on 8/11/2013It was a lovely meal in a lovely setting but was a shame others hadn't heard about this place as not many were dining and the food is definitely unique. I have been twice and the menu has been different and exciting each time favorite is nose to tail ye old smoking pig starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Enjoyable ExperiencerobertpmorleyDined on 2/11/2013This really is a gem of a place to discover (thanks toptable). Excellent hospitality without being too intrusive, the staff that we had contact with were friendly, seemed well trained and very informative about the menu items, answering our many questions and their advice was sound. The warm duck salad and the smoking pig from nose-to-tail were simply fantastic. Their "flat iron" steak was a complete treat, cooked to perfection with every mouthful bursting with flavour and so tender (note - do not have this overcooked!) and undoubtedly the best restaurant steak that I have had for at least two years! Deserts were most enjoyable, leaving more resounding tastes on the pallet. Most enjoyable restaurant, service and particularly the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A splendid evening with deliciousAdeleDined on 7/10/2013A splendid evening with delicious food, lovely service, great gin bar and knowledgeable bar staff!Special Features:
- Birthday bashLobbyLouDined on 2/10/2013Wen here for a friends 50 th, 5 ladies in total. The service was very good and the waiter ensured one of the party who is celiac was catered for. The set meal was good value but if your fussy there wasn't much choice so limited the availability of this although I found it was suitable for me. I have eaten here a number of times and was disappointed at how quiet it was, shame. Thank you to the staff for the lovely miniature birthday cake and candles what a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious exciting foodYorkshiretoeDined on 21/9/2013Great dining at the top level in Leeds. Gin garden good for pre-dinner drinks. Food is is inventive and flavours well thought out. Portions are smaller than last time we went, so you will need to order side dishes. It never seems to be full, even on a Saturday night, so can only assume that it's main problem is location as it's away from the rest of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definitely !FoodloverzDined on 16/9/2013I booked this restaurant for my husband’s birthday and it did not disappoint. We went for the 3 course supper menu for £19.95 and every dish we had was excellent, presentation and flavours were all spot on. The service was also excellent and even though the restaurant wasn’t busy as it was a Monday the ambience was still nice. My favourite dish was a quail brioche starter and my husband enjoyed his chicken main but all 3 courses were delicious! We have already recommended Digby’s to friends and we will definitely return!Special Features:
- Set menu & a la carteBl0210Dined on 2/9/2013I ate from the set menu two course & glass of wine for under£20. Exceptional standards of presentation and definitely fine dining. My husband had the burger and was deck otley gormet. Standard of wine on offer was great too, service a little slow as one guy serving all tables but it was a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!ShazzadDined on 16/8/2013Brilliant food, attentive service and great value. Best bits - quail starter, hake main and sticky toffee pudding (worth every calorie!!). Disappointment - tomato cake main - v light = grumpy vegetarian! Monthly supper menu is outstanding value at £20I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night meal for 4MarkandAlexDined on 10/8/2013We had been to the fantastic cocktail bar at the New Ellington before but this was the first time we had eaten there. Love the jazz theme. It wasn't particularly busy for a Saturday night and there is a nice laid back ambience about the place. Perhaps too laid back. We had to nudge the bar waiter first to provide us with drinks menus and then again to take our order. We have been sat down 25 minutes before the pre dinner drinks arrived. Further wait for menus and a nudge again to get someone to take our order. It was more that an hour after we arrived that we finally sat down to our meal. Two days later I can't honestly remember what any of us ate; I'm sure we enjoyed it at the time though. Wouldn't be fussed about going back.
- A box of delightsMickythebriefDined on 31/7/2013Excellent courteous service to a meal of surprising subtlety and élan, really memorable, u want be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now Digbys, what a shame!BusinessDinnerDined on 2/3/2013We learnt on arrival that the restaurant had just been re-branded as Digbys. We've been regular patrons for a number of years, and have always raved about the restaurants amazing food, using Nitrogen and all kinds of alchemy to conjure up a culinary experience to blow your mind. We soon learnt that this was no longer to be, it's now gastro pub rather than fine dining. It took 45 minutes just to get our drinks, and and on ordering our meal they didn't have our choice of food or wine. The meal was OK (apart from the waitress putting our red wine in the ice bucket), best thing being the canapés, but it's no longer special. Being off the beaten track, and just doing the same kind of food as many other restaurants in Leeds is a big mistake.
- Excellent foodSpakroydDined on 2/3/2013Food and service were excellent. Only slightly lacking is the ambience, a little bit quiet. Great evening though and would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHirstyDined on 9/2/2013Everything was spot on since the second we walked into the hotel. Coats taken, drinks menu brought over in The Gin Garden which had an excellent selection of drinks. Brought the food menu to look at and taken down to the restaurant, very nice setting. The canapes and breads is an excellent little starter, not what you would expect, try it! Other courses were very nice, it's very 'posh' food, but done very well. Not cheap, but worth every penny. We've eaten at some nice restaurants and this is definately up there with the best. All the staff were good, very professional attentive, toping up our drinks at every opportunity. Highly recommend for a romantic night out or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliverLobbyLouDined on 1/2/2013Enjoyed trying yet another new gin...... With frozen grapes very nice indeed. The food as always presented with finesse I always feel special when we dine here. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve 2013hugodinerDined on 31/12/2012extermelley dissapointed in dining experience. booked as usual through open table and was happy with the a la carte menu options being suitable for all ages of the party. a la carte menu is priced between £26 and £40 per head and has great choice. arrived on the evening to be given a menu which was the only option for the evening of 5 set course at £74.99 per head this was not mentioned anywhere whilst booking or in the follow up emails. no options fo main course other than the vennison wellington which was not great as one of teh party is vegetarian. as a favour that person was offered a salad! £300 for a table of 4 to have a very poor menu and lack lustre service left a very bitter taste and was not a great way to spend the evening.
- Excellent servicekingyDined on 1/12/2012Very comfortable and made to feel very welcome. Superb service and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal at the New EllingtonKazzyDined on 23/11/2012We have dined here several times at the food never disappoints. I would suggest that if you are quite picky with your food you just forget that and try it "pork pie puree" is really very good! The service is excellent from the moment you step through the doors until you leave. Every member of staff is smart and very polite and friendly. The changes to the bar and reception area look very good although a little stark. For a fining dining experience in Leeds the New Ellington is hard to beat. We've tried a few but we do keep coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again a lovely mealCharlikatDined on 22/11/2012This is our second visit and it was just as good as the first time we went, 2 years ago. It was a quiet night so not much atmosphere but we had a great meal, would have liked more choice of dessert as a I have a wheat intolerance but to be fair I didn't tell them when I booked it, so they didn't have any notice to provide me with an alternative. Having said that, at that level of dining elsewhere I have never had a problem getting something , but there was nothing on the dessert menu, even the cheese and biscuits, they didn't have any gluten free crackers. Good job I was full already.Special Features:
- Birthday Boyeatwell52Dined on 15/11/2012This was my and my good friends first visit. I did rather feel let down by the Lobby and its almosy utiltarian lighting but the staff and the food made great amends. The two lads on duty in the bar and the restaurant were most agreeable and willing to run through the Menu. Very nice night; I cant say as I was the beneficiary on the meal -it being my Birthday. Kind regards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food at EllingtonJessDined on 1/11/2012This is this is my second time at the new ellington the food is fantastic The ambience is very good and the quality is top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!CoxyVIPDined on 20/10/2012The meal we had at the New Ellington was absolutely incredible. We had cocktails in the Gin Bar to start which were very good. The decor of the restaurant is very opulent and feels special. Most of the other people dining were couples or family groups but we were a group of 4 girls and the ambience was still perfect for us.. The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The food was exceptional. I had the fish pie followed by the plate of Yorkshire pork and it was the best meal I have had in a long time and I am a major foodie. The chef at the New Ellington produces food to the same standard as Michelin starred chefs. Save room for dessert and cheese...I have never had a better chocolate fondant. Next visit is booked!Special Features:
- 5 course taster menuHungrychopsDined on 12/10/2012Food nice but overall experience not great. Table was 7:30 on Friday night and there were only two couples there so no ambience. Music was insane angry tunes that the staff said they had no control over. The food was complex and carefully put together with nice flavours but very small portions. Not sure it was worth the effort. We left £100 lighter and wished we'd chosen some where else. The decoration /styling was lovely but couldn't balance out the other factors.Special Features:
- Good food, ambiance needs improvemeFineDinerDined on 6/10/2012Whilst quality of ingredients and food presentation & flavor are strong, the cheesy piped music and young inexperienced and overly informal staff being down what could be one of the best fine dining restaurants in the city.