1 Hertsmere Road
London, E14 8JJNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dockmastershouse.com/
- Phone: 02073450345
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 120pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 6pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Dockmasters House
Situated in a three-storey Georgian building in Canary Wharf, Dockmasters House offers a traditional Indian dining experience with a contemporary twist. Diners can expect modern interpretations of classic dishes and an extensive wine list featuring some excellent biodynamic options. The restaurant itself features a spacious bar, a conservatory and a smart garden – perfect for alfresco dinners in the warmer months. Curry connoisseurs will love the a la carte which features dishes like chilli scallops and squid; duck confit samosas with apple and ginger; and paneer millefeuille with creamy leek and carrot sauce – a real treat for vegetarians. If you’re on a budget, pop in at lunchtime or early evening and try the prix fixe menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dockmasters House reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since 4 June 2014
special occasions (38)business meals (36)romance (30)fit for foodies (26)good vegetarian options (24)group bookings (20)brunch (3)outstanding value (3)outdoor eating (2)sunday lunch (2)child friendly (1)pre/post theatre (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Closed on a Friday and SaturdayChrisDocklandsDined on 14/3/2014Having booked a table for a friends visit, we proceeded along to the restaurant on Friday,14th March at the time booked and the restaurant was closed up. Tried again on the Saturday and it was also closed. Extremely inconvenient as we then had to find somewhere to eat.
- doors closeddinerDined on 14/3/2014booked, turned up, no one there and no one answering the phone or the door.
- Restaurant closedhazeyDined on 14/3/2014I've booked a table online through toptable and only found out the restaurant was closed until arrival. No one was picking up from the restaurant and we've stood in front of the restaurant for half an hour before finally decided to leave. Obviously not a great experience.
- Restaurant closedABUENOVIPDined on 14/3/2014Unfortunately my party and I were not able to have dinner at Dockmasters as the restaurant seems to be closed down.
- best Indian restaurantlightbodyVIPDined on 4/3/2014This restaurant has outstanding service, quality food and wonderful fireplace.Special Features:
- Again good foodAntonHDined on 4/3/2014The reason to go here is for good quality good in the Canafry Wharf areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Docklands gemRockCrystalDined on 28/2/2014The Dockmaster's House is a listed Gerorgian building and the large, high-windowed rooms and mainly glass conservatory extension provides an impressive setting for the excellent and sometimes unusual Indian food, including Southern-influenced seafood and coconut dishes, Bombay street food and chicken Banno Tikka (chicken breast stuffed with cheese and pomegranate). We had a relatively mild yet spicy king prawn biriyani main course presented in a copper bowl topped with light pastry, served with cool raitha. The wine list was extensive and well constructed, and the service very attentive and friendly. The restaurant includes a separate bar serving decent cocktails. The food was good value for money, especially with the 40% TopTable discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwayslbk1302Dined on 28/2/2014The food was as good as it normally is, I have been here a 4 or 5 times for a meal and a couple of times for work events and the food and service is always great. It was especially good as we used the 40% off food deal. I can't wait to arrange my next meal at Dockmasters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian restaurantluv2eatVIPDined on 25/2/2014Dockmasters House is an upmarket Indian restaurant. The food is really delicious, it's quite expensive so worth waiting for a deal on Toptable, we got 40% off the food which made it very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - pity about the serviceRichhDined on 21/2/2014Shown to our table and we ordered starters and main course, and drinks. Starters arrived and were delicious. No one came to ask how they were, or if there was anything they could get us. Our plates were taken away fairly promptly but then we had a very long wait before us having to chase up where our main course had go to. We were told that they had had a problem with one of the other tables' order so things were running behind. Other tables (who had arrived after we had) had been served their main courses by this time. Again - when the plates arrived the food was very very good ; Which is the only reason I would recommend this place. Just a shame about the very poor service - which we had taken off the bill.Special Features:
- Consoled by the 40% discountLovefoodE14Dined on 20/2/2014The food was not what I had expected from this restaurant. Mediocre at best... Not really reaching te standard of 'fine dinning' Indian it aspires to be. The dhaal we had and the sea bass which was recommended were lacking in flavour. Ironically I had a better dhal at the hospital canteen where I work that same day for lunch!The sommelier (or the waiter not sure who he was exactly) made me feel like we were scrimping on the wine as we didn't want to order a second bottle of wine! ( it was a school night, only three drinking . When the bill came they had forgotten to give the discount so the meal came to £180 for 4 and with the discount £130...wish we had gone to Tyyabs as I was in the mood that day for some good Indian food!
- One of my favourite restaurantsAlesDined on 15/2/2014One of my favourite restaurants in London. Excellent Indian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much morde interesting takegarycdDined on 13/2/2014Much morde interesting take on Indian food than the usual fare. Good flavour and texture combinations with an interesting variety of dishes. Good value with the 40% off deal. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible servicedawnDined on 1/2/2014From start to finish the word service never entered my head. the food is good but its such a battle to get served, wine, water food, anything. such a shame. Not enough staff, badly trained vacant waitress, no one to get the coast we helped ourselkves in the end. I refused to pay the service charge that was added on ( al least no argument there). I took a group of friends having told them how good the food was and I was completey embarrased.
- Unusual Indian RestaurantStarchildDined on 31/1/2014We visited Dockmasters House last Friday and had a wonderful dining experience. We took the fantastics 40% off food offer and did enjoy every minute. My partner and I share three vegetarian starters, than I had the Prawn Balchao, which was fantastic, spicy but exactly how I like it, he took the Chilli Beef and in addition a vegetarian okra side dish. We even had dessert, something we normally give a miss at Indian Restaurant. Everything was just fab - the food presentation, the food itself, the service - simply a wow-factor. We are surely looking forward to going there again and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better menu, similar qualityLM12Dined on 30/1/2014Possibly a good place to meet people after work and eat after a few drinks. I met someone for lunch and we were the ONLY people eating there. The decor a is tasteful modernisation of the 200 year old building. There are several dining rooms and a separate bar. The menu is better than the average curry house, however the food itself is average.I say this as someone very familiar with several Indian kitchens, so it may pass as fine for the provincial British palate. Service was very good but given our's was the only occupied table, I won't speculate whether they are able to scale their attentiveness. I will give it another go but only in the evening and after a few drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an experience notAllanlovesdinningDined on 29/1/2014This was an experience not to be missed . The place itself , the good and the staff were all outstanding. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnermohitDined on 25/1/2014Great food and value with 40% off offer. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Dockmaster's House Friday LunchYanniDined on 24/1/2014Quick lunch with 2 colleagues on a Friday afternoon in January; few other diners but restaurant space is huge and so it seemed pretty quiet & lacking on ambience... food was fantastic though and more than made up for the overly quiet space. I can imagine it picks up later in the evening. Bill was reasonable with the toptable offer but probably wouldn't eat there without it; location is good for those based in East London!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic tasting menuHarropTwinsDined on 18/1/2014We had the tasting menu and it was fabulous. It was plenty of little bites and a delight to sample all the different flavours. Starters of the prawn and scallops were the best. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality foodEatCookLoveDined on 18/1/2014My husband and I treated our friends to an anniversary dinner at Dockmasters House and we all had a lovely time. I had trio lamb for starters which were very tasty. The rest of the starters were also very good. I had king prawns in coconut sauce for main and they were really large good quality prawns in a subtle coconut sauce. All of us felt that the food was tasty yet not overwhelmed with too many spices like most other indian restaurants. The drinks were good, the service was good too, very attentive but not overwhelming. The ambience was nice too. We had the 40% off deal through toptable which was very good value for money. Would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian restaurantsalrikVIPDined on 16/1/2014Top table discount meant this great Indian restaurant was very good value for a pre cinema lunch. very good quality relatively mild dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A break from the 'usual'LondonDinerVIPDined on 15/1/2014This was considered, creative Indian food and not the 'usual' the is served in bog standard Indian restaurants. The service was friendly & attentive and the restaurant was well presented and comfortable.Special Features:
- Delicious Dinner!AdeleDined on 11/1/2014We visited Dockmasters House last Saturday night and we haven't stopped talking about the food since! A really delicious choice of food, combined with the fantastic offer of 40% discount off the food bill made for a fantastic evening. Would definitely recommend a visit and will be returning ourselves too.Special Features:
- Great foodlightbodyVIPDined on 11/1/2014I love the food from this modern Indian restaurant. Normally I'm not a big fan of Indian food but this one is just different from all the others. The staff are very friendly and treat you like royal. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Always Excellent!CurlygirlVIPDined on 14/12/2013Once again we had a great meal at The Dockmaster's. The food was amazing, the service excellent. Shame they don't do the Sula wine anymore.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!CurlygirlVIPDined on 14/12/2013Food and service was excellent as always! Never disappoints!
- Great foodLoveFoodDined on 7/12/2013Real good food and I have been here many times before. I'm sure I will be back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A generally nice restaurantFoodieDined on 26/11/2013Great location and parking! Food looks fantastic, Starter was far too salty, then my mains lacked salt.. Very odd! Else it was good food The dining area was far too warm, felt overheated. Waiters were attentive and generally very friendly staff. Restaurant in a beautiful building, great ambience. Would go back with the discounts only as its fairly overpriced for what it isSpecial Features:
- Good Indian restaurantDesmondVIPDined on 23/11/2013Good food and service. One of the better Indian restaurants in London. Would be happy to revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewReviewerDined on 21/11/2013Nice venue, ambience inside was ruined with the noise from a party below which made noise levels inside the dining room unacceptable. Service was was very good and attentive, however, the food for an establishment with these prices was average at best. Would unfortunately not recommend to a friend.Special Features:
- Modern Indian foodAntoninusDined on 19/11/2013Very nice modern Indian food, good value on a Tuesday night with the 40pc off food prices. Used this for a work dinner and was a success. The building is a lovely old 19th century one. There is a nice bar for drinks before and or after dinner. This is not your average British curry joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good curry house!RichDined on 16/11/2013Nice venue for a fine dining Indian experience - doesn't feel like a curry house when you walk in. Staff are friendly and welcoming and signature cocktails are an interesting deviation from the norm. Probably busier in the week, than the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dockmasters HouseLouisDined on 13/11/2013Starters were all excellent - especially the prawns and the delicious tandouri chicken breast cooked with pomegranete. Mains were equally good especially the fish courses. The lamb cooked with spinach was poor however. The lamb tasted of liver for some reason. Overall very good however, although very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many good things but not greathighnoteDined on 11/11/2013Went to Dockmasters with a couple of clients. 1) Great looking restaurant. 2) Great service. 3) Good food but, my main course of chicken was just bones. No breast & virtually no meat. This is not Nandos or cheap, & I would have complained but did not want to embarass my clients.I've eaten here many times & it's been good, but this really has put me off. I felt I was being taken advantage of, especially at their prices.Such a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ValueRasheedDined on 8/11/2013The Top Table discount does allow for a great overall dining experience. The food is great & service attentive. Would recommend especially for special occasions.Special Features:
- Posh CurryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2013Excellent food and setting but the service was a little on the snooty side. Check the T&Cs on any discounts before you arrive too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant and its foodAJ84Dined on 5/11/2013This restaurant and its food is really good. Modern twist to the typical Indian meal. However, with the toptable offer this place is outstanding. Without the top table off for what you pay its slightly on the expensive side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting and service.Vkb40Dined on 1/11/2013Lovely setting and service. The food is very good and should be taken time over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion,quality IndianRudiDined on 29/10/2013Went here with my wife to celebrate our 6 months anniversary. The food was very good, service always helpful. Some good vergetarian and more interesting (e.g. Goan) options than a regular Indian restaurant. The building is very nice and it was not as empty as expected for a Tuesday night. The bar is good for groups who want to wait until everyone arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.