Elia Greek Restaurant
24 George Square
Glasgow, G2 1EGNeighborhood:
GreekPrice: £25 and under
Elia Greek Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://eliagreekrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 01412219988
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Elia Greek Restaurant
Elia Greek Restaurant is perfectly located in the centre of Glasgow, on George Square, making it an ideal venue to meet up with family and friends. As well as the daily specials the restaurant has to offer, there is a wide-ranging A la Carte menu, with something for everyone. Diners can also choose from the set lunch and early-evening menus daily. Elia is open seven days a week, and the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed, so whether you're looking for somewhere for a night out with your friends, or somewhere to have Sunday lunch with the family, Elia is the place to unwind and enjoy a great meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutstanding Value
Elia Greek Restaurant - Best restaurants in Glasgow ›
Elia Greek Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since 6 May 2014
outstanding value (36)pre/post theatre (36)special occasions (26)business meals (24)group bookings (19)romance (16)fit for foodies (15)good vegetarian options (14)sunday lunch (10)disabled access (7)child friendly (7)brunch (5)afternoon tea (4)Show More
- DisappointingEating4funDined on 23/8/2014Only positive thing to say was food was good.No Greek ambiance,no music in background. Had to wait a good 5mins before given a menu and another few minutes before the very rushed head waiter/ manager came over with a second one ,felt as if I was drinking my water out a jam jar the glass was so thick and had a lip on it. It was so bad I drank my vodka and cola and poured my water into this glass.Felt rushed to eat and go, which was exactly what we did, only had one drink and meal. We felt as if there was no encouragement to enjoy the experience of eating here.Very disappointed in whole experience, went especially to a Greek restaurant as going to Crete on Holiday and wanted a little of the usually lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Catch up with friendsDinaroundDined on 23/8/2014Six friends meeting for dinner. Only one guest had been to the restaurant before, now you have five more guests to rave about the food and ambience. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- A bit different than others about.Kilwinnkie5Dined on 22/8/2014Visited on a Friday night ( Four of us) and had a really good experience. The food was very good, the staff were very friendly and helpfull and the overall cost was reasonable. However did not seem very busy which was surprising but may just have been that night. No complaints from any of us and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top quality as alwaysTheGannettDined on 1/8/2014This is 5th time I've visited Elia for dinner and yet again it's not failed. The excellent value for money belies the quality of the food they serve right off George Square. The array of options is brilliant but you must try the Kleftiko it does quite literally melt in the mouth. I will definitely be back for another round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againmarionDined on 28/7/2014This was not my first visit to this restaurant but it was my 15 year old grand daughters. The food was excellent as usual. This visit was in the Commonwealth Games week and although the staff were extremely busy they still had time to explain the menu to some clients.My grand daughter will be back as she fell in love with the head waiter. As usual good food and great staff.Special Features:
- fresh tasty food and good valueMadwifeDined on 28/7/2014Quick lunch, good value..food fresh and tasty, central location..Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/7/20142 courses for £6.95 for a lunch is excellent value. The food was delicious and the house wine was pleasant and very reasonably priced. The venue too is great, looking out onto George Square.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. I had visited the restaurant with friends on several occasions. Our waiter from Crete was very friendly and helpful. Good to know you use authentic Greek produce. Will be back soon. MargaretSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goldenoldieDined on 28/6/2014Excellent as always. Have visited several times now and never been disappointed. The extensive 2 course lunch provides something for everyone. Staff very pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem...RussellsDined on 27/6/2014Elia is a gem of a restaurant, great food, service and amazing value for money. We went for dinner on a works night out and had a super time. Staff explained the menu, the history of the dishes and made recommendations. Food was delicious and very healthy, not laden with fat/oil and the Greek desserts (even though we were full) were heavenly. We washed it down with a few G&Ts and a crisp, cold bottle of Prosecco, all again reasonably priced. Considering this restaurant sits on George Square it's character, good food and value for money make it well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb find!DollyfanDined on 17/6/2014We had a lovely meal out here! Only in glasgow for one night and fed up with usual eating places decided to 'go greek'! It was beautiful! Kalamari was so fresh! Tzakiki was soooo good we ordered another portion. I had slow cooked lamb which was just falling off the bone as it should be! Wonderful hospitality would thoroughly recommend! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointingKarinGlasgowDined on 22/5/2014Booked table for 5pm as going to the theare so might have given a hint we would be looking for the pre theatre menu, when we asked for it first thing I was told was that I don't get any discount on that? Bit confusing seems that us booking our table made them think we were on a deal? The starters were good, but disappointed as the liver on the main course menu not avalibe apparently too expensive for the pre theare dinner menu, well top tip take it off then. My main was fine but my partner had the vegetable moussaka which was dry and tasteless, he barely ate it. When the table was cleared the waitress asked us if we enjoyed the meal and we said the moussaka was horrible and we got a knowing smile. We will not go back.Special Features:
- Pre Football LunchmarkthesparkDined on 17/5/2014Decided to give Elia a try as it was local to the Queen's Street train station and we weren't disappointed. The food was well presented and tasted fantastic. Service was attentive, without being overbearing Give it a go...Special Features:
- Mid week birthday treatDinaroundDined on 14/5/2014Chose restaurant for location and midweek birthday treat for friend. Food, atmosphere and service was exceptional. Great night enjoyed by all. Would certainly recommend and return.Special Features:
- lunch with friendsjintyDined on 14/5/2014Friends had been going to this restaurant for some time and had told me how good the food was. When a friend and I were going shopping we decided to give it a try and booked for lunch. We both thought the food was very good value for money and of a really good standard. Have recommended the restaurant others and all go back again soonSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014the food was good but very poor choice of fish for one of the partySpecial Features:
- FANTASTICMDS1203Dined on 30/4/2014We had a family meal here and everything was fantastic. The Food, the Service and the Hospitality. Would definitely recommend Elia and will definitely be back. Keep up the good work ;-)Special Features:
- Great6655darrenDined on 21/4/2014Had a great meal and the service was outstanding. Great value for money tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningBudgieDined on 12/4/2014We went to this restaurant with friends, the meze menu was outstanding value at £38 per couple. We had numerous starters which were nicely cooked and presented. The quality of the food was excellent and the staff both very polite and eager to please. The restaurant was conveniently located within ten minutes walk from the Grand central hotel where we were staying. Overall a very enjoyable experience with excellent food in a nice setting with polite helpful staff. Would definately recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry........JayanneDined on 4/4/2014I was so looking forward to my meal here, but unfortunately it didn't meet my expectations. Starters were fine but main course of Souvlaki was really disappointing. Dry chicken and lamb and looked as if it had been pre-prepared and then just heated up. Sorry to say I don't think I will be back, there are other restaurants I would prefer to go to.Special Features:
- Lovely meal. Great for childrenFee2013Dined on 30/3/2014Lovely meal. Great for children wanting to eat proper foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but awful servicePemmDined on 30/3/2014Core food excellent, but presentation, attention to detail, service all lacking. I had the lamb shank, which was cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, the boiled rice served with it was bland and lacking in imagination. Other main meals were served with tasteless domestic boiled vegetables. Even though the restaurant was not half-full, service was slow. Half of the starters were not served until the other half had been finished, after asking for them twice. When orders came, they were wrong. The dip selection was served with hardly enough pitta to enjoy half of the dip, and I had to ask for more.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereEchoDined on 28/3/2014Suitable for groups or couples. Great menu, more choice than other Greek restaurants I've visited in Glasgow. Food was lovely, was a bit disappointed with the salad served with dinner. Probably better to order a salad for the table. Overall, I'll be definitely be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodLouisexCxDined on 1/3/2014Amazing food, great value but the man who served us wasn't the friendliest. I would go back and wouldn't let that put me off, he could have just been having a bad day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food at the restaurantShimmyDined on 28/2/2014The food at the restaurant was extremely good and great value. Unfortunately we were served by 3 different people so were forgotten after our mains were finished and were not offered desert, coffee or any other drinks. We were celebrating so the service was a disapointment.Special Features:
- Great value lunch menu. LoveleyFlorenceofArabiaDined on 28/2/2014Great value lunch menu. Loveley vegetarian mouassaka. Quick, friendly and efficient service. I will be returning to try the evening menu.Special Features:
- Valentines set menuSidrickDined on 14/2/2014Pre-booked via toptable for a Valentines evening Greek treat, as neither myself nor my fiancée had sampled Greek dining before and both fancied giving it a try. Unfortunately when we arrived we were given a small set-menu with standard meals you could order anywhere. This wasn't much of a problem for us (though we would have preferred to know in advance) as we're not fussy eaters and everything that we ordered was delicious and cooked to perfection. However, tables around us were also unaware of the set-menu and seemed determined to raise this point every time a waiter/waitress was within earshot, which dampened the evening somewhat. Staff did a great job at not rising to my fellow diners' jibes. We would return to Elia again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of Greece in GlasgowGrecophileDined on 8/2/2014Elia is a wonderful find in the heart of Glasgow. The ambience is wonderful, the staff are attentive and knowledgeable (it also helps that most of them are of Greek origin too!) It must be good because the night we visited, there was a large table of Greek people dining, so if they choose to eat there it must be good. Well worth it and will definitely return the next time we are in Glasgow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy FoodieslittleyumyumDined on 8/2/2014Love Greek food because we have had many a happy holiday there, and this restaurant serves memories as well as good tasty and varied meals. Went on a Saturday night with family and although the restaurant was busy the service was quick, efficient and friendly without being intrusive. Food was very tasty and really good value for money. The restaurant is in an ideal central position in Glasgow city centre overlooking George Square, (if you are lucky enough to get a table at the window you can people watch while enjoying your food, Just like Holidays! )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 3 school friends and IJintyDined on 8/2/2014My 3 school friends and I (we're in our 50s) had a lovely meal from the £6.95 lunch menu. Portions were a good size and quality of food excellent. One of our party was late and they couldn't have been nicer. We were there for 3.5 hours and they didn't hassle us at all. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elia Greek RestaurantScotiaLassDined on 26/1/2014My starter (dolmathes) was way too tart (too much lemon juice thru the rice?) It was almost inedible anyway. & the stifado was average. The meat was ok but could've been more tender. I wish I'd stayed at home & made my own version of it as, in my opinion, the beef should be falling apart. At the other side of the table, my friend's starter was swimming in oil & the main (mini burgers with tomato sauce) was poor too ... fatty meat & bland sauce. Service was good but quite rushed. Perhaps because only 2 or 3 tables were full (not a very promising sight on a Sunday evening just after pay day). Overall, a disappointing meal, especially as I rarely complain in restaurants & expected better from a business in such a prime location.
- Best Value pre-theatre dinnergordyDined on 16/1/2014Wonderful service and food. choice on the early evening menu was great. the food good and waiting staff attentive and courteous. Highly reccommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem on George SquareScotlovinitDined on 31/12/2013I returned to this friendly restaurant on New years Eve, only for the 2nd time, for a light but tasty meal with my wife. We are not big eaters, we like to sit together - not opposite on a tiny table and we like to sometimes share a main course with a couple of starters, again to share. This is usually quite adequate so as you leave satisified and not stuffed.. On both of our visits they acomodated us, made us feel welcome, the staff were very friendly without being intrusive and the food was great.romantic dinner out. The red house wine was also excellent. We'll be back, hopefully with some friends to share the experience and our "Hidden Greek Gem on George Square".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGreekfoodieDined on 24/12/2013Family of 4 went early on Xmas eve, restaurant was very quiet. When booking asked if possible could we have a window seat. Arrived and was seated in the main dinning area, it was empty, we were the only table there. I explained we had asked for a window seat, and asked if was possible could we have one if the 3 empty widow tables. I was told because I booked on toptable they couldn't see the special requests section and this was where i was to sit. Not a great start. The service after was surly and the food disappointing. I love garlic but my main was so overpowered by the garlic I couldn't eat it. The moussaka was good, the meatballs bland. The baclava was the highlight, delicious.......oh, all 3 window seats were still empty when we left.
- What a feast!!briandDined on 22/12/2013Booked for a pre-concert meal at 5pm. There was plenty of room and service was very good. We ordered the metze 4-course meal - it was quite filling - 8 starter dishes, 4 main courses plus desert and coffee. As the metze meal is not shown on the menu we were a little unsure of what to expect and took the 8 starters as first two courses as there were meat balls and stuffed vine leaves included. Only when they brought fresh cutlery did we realise there was a second course which we did not do justice to - chicken and pork kebabs, mousaka and beef stew (cannot remember the greek names). I believe we spoilt the main courses by taking so much time eating the "starter". Worth every penny but pace yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just before christmasfrankyboyDined on 21/12/2013My husband and I have a christmas tradition of spending the Saturday before christmas in Glasgow, ending with a lovely meal, we chose Elia this year. The weather was cold rainy and miserable. The restaurant was welcoming warm and festive, the staff very polite and sociable. We both love eating out and were not disappointed by the quality and portions of our meal and have recommended Elia to our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningKWALKDined on 20/12/2013Food great and the staff are very very friendly, attentive and proffesional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, central locationskinnygDined on 19/12/2013These guys know how to cook lamb, top quality. Looking onto George Square is a great location. The service was efficient and friendly, the food was excellent, and the environment was nice with plenty of space between us and the next table. There is a good selection of food to try and if you haven't tried a Greek Restaurant, I'd certainly recommend Elia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas LunchBrain123Dined on 13/12/2013Was not offered the choice of menus , in fact never even checked my booking. Many of the starters were not available. The main course of lamb was massive but the potatoes were very poor.. Some of the staff tried there best , but others just seemed disinterested , never stayed for coffee or deserts just wanted to move on.
- Anniversary MealmarionDined on 29/11/2013Had a great meal as usual This was the first time we dined A La Carte Food fantastic and the olives are to die for.Special Features: