91-93 Great Eastern St
London, EC2A 3HZNeighbourhood:
BrazilianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://floripalondon.com/
- Phone: 020 7613 4228
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian, Modern European, Brazilian Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Dave Yorkston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner Floripa presens a wide range of DJ and Live music entertainment from Jazz Jams to Bossa Bands and Bloc Party Floripa DJs. Check the website www.floripalondon.com for the latest listings.
- Public Transit: Nearest Tube - Old Street Station (Northern Line) less than 5 minutes walk. Nearest overground - Shoreditch High Street (approx 7 mins walk) We are also only 10 minutes walk from Liverpool Street and Moorgate.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Hackney Council operates restrictions until Midnight 6 days a week. There is parking South of the Venue in the City of London after 6.30pm a 5 minute walk from the venue.
A word from Floripa
Floripa is the nickname of a Balearic style city-island off the coast of Brazil, the short form of the beautiful and unique flower of Ipanema and a brand new venue in Shoreditch where Brazil and London come together in a hedonistic bohemian cultural fusion. Our aim is to take the classic elements of Brazilian cuisine and remix them, take the best of London"s incredible Music scene and recook it and take a South American beach bar and re-present cocktails sipped on the cabana's of Ipanema and Florioponalis. Floripa is from 50's South Americana – the bossa beach vibe to 21st Century London's Babel like Hub of the World. Floripa mixes all conviviality's – we are a Brazilian influenced restaurant, a bar for the globe, a London bloc party club, an Ipanema inspired colonial bordello, an idyllic sunset circus and indeed none of the above.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Floripa reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since 24 November 2013
group bookings (8)special occasions (5)romance (4)outdoor eating (4)fit for foodies (3)outstanding value (3)good vegetarian options (1)pre/post theatre (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- isajDined on 13/11/2014Great food, great atmosphere and very friendly and help staff. I am already planning my next dinner and drinks with the girls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place!buffetloverDined on 18/7/2014We had a nice early dinner with happy hour drinks... The decoration is amazing and food was good too!Special Features:
- Not brazilianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/6/2014I am brazilian and this place does not look like a brazilian place. The menu has few brazilian food optinos, I had pao de queijo, coxinha and bolinho de bacalhau. They did not taste good and the coxinha and bolinho de bacalhau does not even look like brazilian food. The DJ played samba (ok), american and mexican music! I asked for a the most brazilian song at the moment and the DJ had never heard about it. The dancers does not know how to dance. Sorry, but this is my honest opinion.Special Features:
- Great birthday bashPrincessDeeDined on 20/6/2014Had such a fun time at Floripa, when I went to the bar to look around and secure my group booking the manager was lovely and secured me a table in the back section which had beautifully decorated walls and lovely artistic chairs, it was gorgeous. I was also given flyers for buy one cocktail get one free which was great! The whole bar has a really nice laid back but fun vibe, it was perfect for what I was looking for and all of my party was happy with the service, drinks and food. Also on the initial viewing of the bar, the lovely manager gave me a free Caprihina cocktail for my birthday. She was very sweet and I would definitely recommend this bar to anyone who is looking to have a fun time!Special Features:
- Floripa PartyGabbyDined on 25/5/2014Looking for a restaurant with the opportunity to shake a leg after, we came across Floripa. We tried to avoid the traditional Greek style nights as these have been done several times before. Wanted something different and so glad we came across Floripa. Great night out, Live music and dancing was awesome, food was good but secondary to the ambience of the venue. Great fun and will definitely go again but will be part of a group bookingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change of menuRLucas92Dined on 17/5/2014Last time I visited I couldn't wait to return mainly because of the wonderful tapas available. This time I sadly saw that all but 3 were taken off and all that was left was bought out at average quality. Still a beautiful restaurant and a great place for cocktails and the wow factor. But for food I doubt I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food and drinksPattyDined on 6/5/2014I'm Brazilian and can tell that the food and drinks in Floripa are the worst ever! My berries caipirinha was made with juice (no real fruit) and the "pao de queijo" (cheese bread) was dry and tasted as if it was from the previous day. The only reason I didn't give 1 star only for food was because my steak was good - but a bit expensive. Definitely not a good value for money and I wouldn't go back there again.Special Features:
- Probably better for Drinks...AlwaysOnTheHuntDined on 3/4/2014Overall our food was good not amazing, not outstanding and funnily enough not how I imagined. We went for a mix of starters and we had a chicken dish which was a bit of a let down as it was quite heavy and not to our taste. I had a taste card which was a joy - I would advise going her with a taste card you do get great value however on the whole the food wasn't that great. But the drinks were good and would probably go back for drinks...not so much the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, friendly service, noisyfatPastyDined on 29/3/2014A friendly place, with relaxed staff. Alas when I go for a meal it's to chat with my friends and the DJ was so loud we couldn't properly hear each other. Food was nice.
- Bad service/bad foodIsrmspDined on 10/1/2014We went on a Friday night with a group of friends to have dinner. Made a reservation asking to stay in a quite table. They confirm me I was in the AmazonRoom (off the main area). When we arrive they sit us rigth near the band. Nobody could talk during the dinner 'cause the noise. Terrible dinner! We ask 'picanha' that came with rice and vegetables. Everything quite poor. Won't go again, and don't recomend for dinners.
- Terrible experience!MaxineDined on 14/12/2013Let's just say I've had better cheese sauce at the cinema! It was like glue. There was 8 of us at the table and the whole table tried each tapas dish and left it! The chips were dry and burnt, the veggie patties unedible The pie was shop bought from a cheap bakers, microwaved. We arrived at 8 and left at 11 to go elsewhere (had to get out) and our bill was £470. We did complain but the manager refused to come to our table and they refused to deduct any cost. As we was on our Xmas do I let it slide and left. The ladies toilets had no toilet seats or locks and the floor was wet with mess and tissue. You could smell them in certain parts of the bar. Glasses were dirty, full of lipstick. Give it a miss!
- Disappointed- Go somewhere else!VanfiDined on 29/11/2013I book a table in Floripa for my birthday for 10 people. When I arrived there, the table was just for 2; We managed to get a bigger table (just for 4) and then I was been told that I reserved a table for 10 standing people, and no with chairs!. I've never heard about a table without chairs before, even if I said by phone 2 weeks before that we will eat canapes. Then at 9.30 pm they move all the tables (I was ware of this, but the lady over phone told me that she will move my table and she will try not to remove it completely from the place), and the waitress was absolutely rude, she throw on the floor all our coats and bags from the table and chairs because she had to take out the table. We left at 10.30. No one enjoy. Food is awful too.
- Quirky but not pretentiousFionaFarrerDined on 27/11/2013Great value, a hidden gem that has not yet been discovered by those fearing to leave Curtain Road. Cheap night of great cocktails, interesting food and a free bit of the CC Smugglers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 55 reviews are from the Floripa reviews archive.
- Sharing with FriendsjkjellyheadDined on 31/10/2013We went to Floripa on 31st October with some friends who had travelled down from Yorkshire and wanted something 'a bit different'. We enjoyed Brazilian beer and tapas for five. As we couldn't decide what to eat we ordered the entire tapas menu and all the desserts! With service charge this came, unbelievably, to under £50! I would highly recommend the salmon and mango salad, patatas bravas and coconut cheesecake. Ideally located near Shoreditch or Old Street too. Venue itself is fun and vibrant, relaxed, friendly and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brazilian option in town!Nina45566Dined on 17/10/2013I went there with my Brazilian friend and she loved the food! Ambience fantastic but after 8pm the live band starts and is impossible to talk!... Service very friendly, only one thing they don't have wine by the glass!!... A bit of dissapointment but in general the food and atmosphere was FAB!Special Features:
- A great night out after workMissTDined on 10/10/2013A great night out after work with live music, open mic and comedy too. A brilliant lively atmosphere. A great place for a laugh and the food wasn't bad either. If looking for a quiet night and a chat, this isn't the right place but I would definitely recommend Floripa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-club birthday party outingMattDined on 20/9/2013I booked for a party of us to go along ahead of us heading to XOYO which is just round the corner from Floripa, only we all got delayed on the train on the way into London and we lost our table...when we all rocked up, Floripa offered to try and help and within 10 minutes they had secured us another table, despite it being a really busy Friday night for them and they also gave each of the birthday boy and his girlfriend complimentary drinks vouchers whilst we waited - can't wish for better service than that!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service lets the place downSC86Dined on 24/8/2013Food was good and I loved the feel of the place. However terrible service totally ruined it for me hence me rating my overall experience 'poor'.
- Fantastic night out in Old St.RebsDined on 17/8/2013I went here as a group of 8 girls celebrating my Sister's hen night. The service was excellent from George the waiter and the atmosphere is interesting being Brazillian (along with great cocktails) without any east London pretension. The tables are cleared away without you even noticing to allow for a great bar atmosphere with music to dance to. If you love the Latin American feel you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a bar than a restaurantDuiysDined on 7/8/2013Floripa has a an incredibly nice atmosphere. Having decorated with Brazilian elements, rich cocktail bar and relaxing outdoor option it is a perfect place for after work drinks and quick snacks, which are really good. However, the menu is very limited and the prices are high. I was disappointed to realize that when i went there with a group of friends. That's one thing, so if you have more expectations from a Brazilian dinner I am afraid it's not the most ideal place. My ten points goes to their legendery virgin mojito by the way! And needless to say, staff were excellent there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food +++ Experience +SXXXDined on 2/8/2013The food was really good, and cheap! Unfortunately we were sat in the middle of an empty dance floor with music too loud to not feel 16 again. In a bad way. Dinners are for stimulating conversation, Floripa! To their credit the outside looked nice and the restaurant bit starting at the far end corner looked inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with FriendsSinoDined on 2/8/2013Great fun and busy vibe which makes it a perfect choice for a night out with friends. There is a bar serving cocktails and the food is taty and simple. The Decor is lively with quite loud samba style music playing in the background. Tables are wooden bench style which fits perfectly with the causal, bar, mezza type feel. I would say that if you are wanting a romantic intimate dinner for two or an ultimate foodie experience then look elsewhere. However if you are looking for a fun place to eat with friends with lively music then I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Floripa FodderRiceyDined on 24/7/2013Used my TimeOut card hither so got 50% off our entire haul, which made this worthwhile. Nice cocktails. Had a feijoada and moqueca, which were fine. Had better though. More of a bar than a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order the cheese bread !kksaDined on 13/7/2013Have only really been to Floripa for cocktails but theyre food is surprisingly good for a place that is also the bar. Definitely order the pan de quiejo and the butternut squash salad (maybe skip the grilled tofu though!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky fun at FloripaJessikaMayDined on 26/6/2013Always a blast to come here. The vibe is always fun and energetic with some kooky decor to boot. We were pleasantly surprised to have a funk soul band playing on the Wednesday night we went, & it was perfect for an after dinner boogie! Note that it is quite a loud venue with (awesome) music playing constantly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a night outBonsaiDined on 13/6/2013There is a great ambiance and decoration and creates the right feel for sipping one of a selection of great cocktails. The starters are perfect to create some tapas style sharing with friends and you don't have to move on if you enjoy some life music and entertainment. Great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereTasheDined on 7/6/2013We went early on a Friday evening and there were already a few people around. We had to wait a minute or so to be noticed but after that, the service was great- we were looked after throughout and given food/drink recommendations. I had a berry caiprinha, my friend the house special- Fogo di Floripa. Both were lovely. For mains, we had the moqueca- which came with proper seafood- including squid and octopus! Very nice and just the right amount. However, the best thing by far was the pudding- the brownie with dulce de leche icecream was the best dessert I've ever eaten. Recommend highly.Special Features:
- A nice eveningGingin25Dined on 11/5/2013I booked a table for dinner at 7pm with a view to staying for drinks afterwards. It was relatively busy when we arrived so really booking is essential, our table was slightly tucked away from everyone else which was nice. Food menu is pretty simple but we enjoyed our food. Cocktails were great! Music got too loud for conversation about 8.30pm when the DJ came on. Then the lovely guy that had been waiting on our table told us it had been double booked. He said I should've received an email to let me know but I hadn't. We had to give up our table at 9pm when the next booking arrived. It was too loud and busy to stay there so we moved on. An abrupt end to what started as a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereRBEatVIPDined on 6/4/2013Had a fun evening enjoying a taste of Brazil at Floripa - delicious food and a great cocktail menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first impressionEshaKDined on 22/3/2013I visited Floripa for the first time with my fiance and was quite pleased with the place. The ambience was quite chilled and the music was exceptionally good. Cocktails were up to the mark and food was reasonably priced. The only flaw was with the booking as even after booking a table and arriving 5-10mins before the time of the booking we had to wait 15-20mins as there was a clash of bookings so they had to try and fit us in. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a fun filled night with group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Florida FlopFloridaFlopDined on 15/3/2013We arrived and waited and waited and waited to be acknowledged. The restaurant manger then couldn't hear my answers to her questions because of the loudness of the music. We then sat on benches, not at tables. The menu was limited and had very poor choices, not like other Brazilian restaurants in the East End. We had to leave before ordering.
- Unpleasantly noisy & crowdedJemmoDined on 9/3/2013I was very disappointed by my experience at Floripa, mostly due to the unpleasantly loud volume of the music during the eating time. Fair enough, that the music should be loud later, when the restaurant turns into a late cocktail dance bar, but it would have been nice if it had been much lower, whilst we were eating. Eating is a time to connect, talk & enjoy your food - & none of these were very possible. Added to that, our table was surrounded by standing & jigging none eaters, who kept knocking us as we tried to eat & one nearly sat on a plate of food at one point. After eating, when we were ready to dance, the music & DJing were very mediocre. I did like the decor, but I wont be going back there in a hurry, to see it again.
- nice place but not really for mepastagirlDined on 27/2/2013The place itself is really nice but more apropriate for meeting up with friends.its more of a pub than a restaurant.way too dark to see whats in your plate and way to noizy to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A noisy, cold taste of BrazilYelowariorDined on 26/2/2013This venue is great for an evening snack with a large group of mates, but not a proper meal/ catch up. The reason is because it's more of a live music venue, than an eating venue, & the music got so loud shortly after we finished our dinner, we had to order the bill straight away & make a sharp exit, so we could carry on our conversation. If you like live music whilst eating, then maybe this could work for a group of relaxed mates, but not that atmospheric for a romantic date. Oh, & it was really cold everytime the door was opened too, so not that cosy, AND they didn't have 2/ 3 of the things on the menu available :( On the plus side, the staff were very friendly, & the place looked fabulous with the Brazilian, colourful decor & lightsSpecial Features:
- Floripa for large groupsKeenonfoodDined on 21/2/2013I visited Floripa with a group of about 12 people for dinner. I like the place as a venue, but the music was just too loud. We asked if it could be turned down a little as we were literally shouting to the person sat next to us and we still couldn't hear! This is fine for drinks and a club/bar, but not really for dinner. We ended up leaving and going to another venue, which was a shame as the cocktails were great and the food was good. I would come back for drinks, and later on in the evening, but I wouldn't go back for dinner unfortunately.Special Features:
- one of the best filets everMarkieVIPDined on 8/2/2013try the filet of beef - 10 out of 10 both for tenderness and taste - and it comes at only £18 - a treat not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not what expectedJubisDined on 19/1/2013The food is good but having not had the opportunity to taste picanha as it is only available to large groups (5-7 people), I was disappointed. The location itself is nice, the music is excellent and so and the environment lively, but the inside is way too small and more appropriate for a bar setting. Indeed, half the tables are cleared after a certain time to make more space for the bar. All in all, I'd recommend it but only as a bar, not a place to go for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for dinner,drinks and dancingGreedyCowDined on 16/11/2012Good for large group if you want to continue the night with drinks and dancing in one place post-dinner. Gets loud and busy from around 10pm. Not appropriate for a quiet intimate dinner. Decent value for good, but not amazing, food. Venue seems to be more focused on the party aspect - which is fine if that's what you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening ! GreatQuez72Dined on 3/11/2012Very nice evening ! Great Atmosphere food was of good quality and plenty of it. Staff freindly with a good manner. Enjoyable experince. MattSpecial Features:
- Second time we've been toMoomaloidDined on 1/9/2012Second time we've been to Floripa. We love the food, Cocktails could be a little cheaper and the music is too loud in the early evening. Difficult to chat to friends on the same table. Its great how things really pick up later in the evening though as the restaurant turns into a bar/club. Waiter was very good considering how busy it was. Love the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.