Four O Nine
409 Clapham Road
London, SW9 9BTNeighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Four O Nine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fouronine.co.uk/
- Phone: 02077370722x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm and 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Modern European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Chris Sargeant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Modern European
- Special Events: Join us every weekend for a Tea Time treat:
Sat 12pm - 4pm
Sun 12pm - 4pm
A word from Four O Nine
Four O Nine is a calm, relaxing restaurant away from the noise of Clapham High Street. Once inside, the emphasis is on great food, fantastic wines and friendly service. Food is predominantely Modern European. The focus is on creating interesting, delicious dishes that are prepared using fantastic seasonal produce and quality ingredients. Complement your meal by choosing a wine from our fantastic wine list of global wines, which offers balance and interest, or a delicious cocktail from our extensive cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
Four O Nine - Best restaurants in Clapham ›
Four O Nine reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since 6 May 2014
romance (163)special occasions (141)fit for foodies (104)group bookings (42)sunday lunch (36)outstanding value (22)good vegetarian options (21)business meals (16)pre/post theatre (15)afternoon tea (12)brunch (10)child friendly (3)outdoor eating (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- DisappointinggourmetsteveDined on 29/8/2014Read some good reviews and the ambience seemed good with friendly staff. Got off to a good start with very good starters but then had to wait for about an hour for the main courses to arrive. One of our party then had to send back theirs since the fish was completely raw and when it returned was under seasoned and bland. The quality of the ingredients is very good and the dishes appeared well planned but the execution of the cooking seemed to lack any finesse and have been put together in a hurry. This isn't a low budget restaurant and I would expect a lot better for the prices charged. They did deduct the uncooked fish from the bill.
- This place never disappointswundawomanDined on 21/8/2014Another fantastic evening at Four O Nine. Delicious food, great wine list, fantastic service, comfortable room, and just the right soundtrack to create the ambience for a perfect night. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- gorgeous secret restaurantlaucarloniDined on 15/8/2014Great food, ambient and service! We really enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and excellent valueFoodie4Dined on 14/8/2014It was my birthday, and my husband could not have chosen a better venue. Amazing, mouth-watering food cooked to perfection, from the set menu. The staff are friendly and caring and we are looking forward to a return visit. Google maps show it some distance from where it actually is, which is literally just opposite the station on the same side of the road - so very convenient too. Excellent!Special Features:
- Nice DecorCatalinaDined on 13/8/2014It can be hard to find the entrance as the map reference given on the website is no where near the actual restaurant on Google Maps. But once you've worked out its about the Clapham North Pub, its certainly a lovely experience coming here. I took my partner out for dinner, and it was a little empty (possibly normal for a wednesday night) but good food and nice decor made up for that.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner at Four O NineJCo81VIPDined on 10/8/2014Love this place, it's always a treat. Beautiful food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute treat!EvaMDined on 9/8/2014Just decided we wanted to go out Saturday night and managed to bag the £20 2 course deal. Had a great time. Food was excellent and we got a glass prosecco and some little canapés all included. Def recommend for a special occasion without breaking the bank. Private entrance is quite quirky too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made our eveningBubb1es01Dined on 1/8/2014Thank you 'Team Four O Nine' for another memorable evening with great food, service, ambience & particularly special treatment allowing us to make the most of one night's reunion of old friends & keeping the bar open til 2am for us! Couldn't think of a better venue for our special eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice casual mealJimboxDined on 1/8/2014Decent fresh food in a casual but hip ambience, good for dinner with friends or a 2nd date.
- Awesome EverythingAj9372Dined on 29/7/2014An amazing experience, went on a Tuesday with a close female friend for a special night, opted for the date night menu with free wine, cannot fault anything food, wine, service , ambience , price all 150% on the mark, we both loved it will def be going back.Special Features:
- A dining experience in ClaphamJasonDined on 29/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the experience at Four O Nine. Interesting private access to the restaurant was unexpected but added to the experience. Service was very good and attentive, but probably needs to slow a little with the restaurant not being too busy the night we were there. The food was simply outstanding from the amuse bouche through to the chocolates with the bill! The presentation of the food was appealing the tastes sensational. The style of food with the freshness reminded me of a good restaurant back home in Sydney. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Pompous rubbishOrwell1Dined on 22/7/2014Overpriced pretentious food, portions were small and tried to be elaborate, but they were just rubbish. Music changed every 30 seconds like some mega mix. Wine was overpriced and the waiter kept in over filling my glass, even though I asked him twice to leave the wine filling to us. The mains were overpriced and the only decent thing was the side order of potatoes. This place is just trying too hard to be something it isn't and only just gets away with it because it's in Clapham. Just a pompous disappointment.Special Features:
- Great foodPhilipDined on 17/7/2014A really good evening slightly spoiled by very inattentive service to start with but they did pick up and it was good later on. Food was delicious and well presented, wine is good value.Special Features:
- ExcellentRogerMellieDined on 7/7/2014Very good food - went on a Monday. Retained a decent ambience despite being quiet
- Early dinnerfood4thoughtDined on 28/6/2014we were first in so felt we had the place to ourselves - place started to get buzzy from 7 - lovely food - friendly service and a fab tiramisu cocktail to finish the meal and set us up for the party we were off toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWantbetterserviceDined on 26/6/2014First time to four o nine Absolutely outstanding As good as chez Bruce but also very different too. Loved it and will def go again. That (and chez Bruce) are two brilliant foodie options only a couple of miles from each other.
- Dinner for twoperzoperzoDined on 23/6/2014My wife and I had dinner at 409 after hearing good things from a number of friends. The restaurant is nicely decorated and there is a good ambiance. Once we had sat down, we were provided with water and canapes which is a nice touch. The service was very good but on the whole I was disappointed with the food. One of the starters was burrata with tomatoes and that was literally all it was. For mains we had chicken and steak and both were very straightforward and a bit disappointing. For dessert, the knickerbocker glory was a scoop of ice cream with half a banana and some chocolate sauce. We were both a little underwhelmed as we felt that this could easily be produced at home and we fancied treating ourselves a bit.Special Features:
- lovely meal and terrific staffDPM06Dined on 23/6/2014Food was delicious. Staff couldn't be more friendly and obliging. Food arrived in a timely manner. Restaurant has a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. I would argue it is perfect for a romantic candle lit dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice serviceEaterDined on 22/6/2014I had been a few years before with friends and it hasn't changed, still good food and nice service. The wine list was unfussy and accessible. Regarding the food it was done well, seasonal and the paprika chips with the steak were lovely! I went on a Sunday evening so didn't have any issues with bad service as other reviewers seem to have had, but I would happily go again if I was in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Loved place and serviceMyNicknameDined on 21/6/2014Good food. Loved the place and the service is greatSpecial Features:
- FabulousVIPDined on 19/6/2014Lack lustre food and poor value for money but friendly staff. Starter consisted of 3 stems of asparagus and a poached egg! Pathetic. The knickerbocker glory had no fresh fruit as advertised and was horrible. The standard of cooking really gone down from our last visit. We won't be returning. The meal for two was £90 for mediocre food.
- Great food as alwaysJoG1702Dined on 13/6/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Clapham. The food is always good, the atmosphere is lovely, the service is a bit slow, but it doesn't really matterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to the usual standardOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/6/2014Poor service....lack of staff....disgusting toilets all blocked.....not what this restaurant used to be like. What a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sunday LunchsindersDined on 1/6/2014I visited this restaurant for the second time when my family came to visit. Excellent value at 23 pounds for 3 courses, food was delicious with additional canapés too. Great decor and not rushed at all.Special Features:
- Return to FormEMM1Dined on 31/5/2014Food was great, service was great and and the ambiance as ever is lovely. This was a return visit on a Saturday night, not having been there for a time, following a couple of middling visits where the food was not brilliant. I am delighted to say the kitchen is back on form and the food was delicious! This has always been my favourite restaurant in Clapham despite the wobble in previous visits and I am gald to say they are firmly back at the top of my favourites list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More like Four O SevenWhiningandDiningDined on 26/5/2014I've been to this charming little restaurant a few times over the years. The ambience is appealing, I would go with friends or on a date. The food has always been excellent and I went for my birthday in a group of 5. The cocktails, amushe bouche & starters were all excellent. But the mains let them down. I had plaice which was just very bland and hardly any flavour. The Eton Mess dessert looked pretty but had too much cream and not enough meringue. The food wasn't bad & we ate it all but it just didn't meet the high standards set by previous visits. I wonder if Monday is the chef's night off.The service was a bit slow. Having said all that, I would definitely go back! Monday night has 50% off which is very good value.Special Features:
- Four O Nine claphamMummydatenightDined on 24/5/2014What a shame....had read a lot of reviews and felt like we had missed out on a hidden gem, unfortunately that was not the case. The restaurant itself was cute and the ambience lovely, but the important stuff, "the food" was just terrible. Our pre dinner glass of fizz arrived warm, followed by two starters that were pretty tasteless, then the mains arrived, just appalling, one of us ordered the fillet steak medium, it arrived and the meat was grey, it looked like a seriously cheap piece of meat. One tiny piece tried and it tasted as bad as it looked. The wait staff were very nice about the plate of food returned untouched and kindly gave us the dessert on the house, however again a simple strawberry Eton mess was strawberry-less. Disaster.
- Fantastic dinnerFlopitaVIPDined on 23/5/2014AS usual, great. Great food, great atmosphere, great value for money. A hidden gem. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Four O Nine, Clapham, LondonDulwichfoodieDined on 21/5/2014Excellent service, food and value. Will definitely return. Staff very attentive and went the extra mile to ensure everything was perfect.Special Features:
- A hidden gemHungryHipposDined on 18/5/2014Great food, great service, great value. Will definitely be visiting againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/5/2014Hi there Was a lovely evening thank you very muchSpecial Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerBett1234Dined on 14/5/2014Great restaurant - went here for my birthday on a Wednesday night with 6 friends. Loved the restaurant. Great atmosphere. We did the 2 courses for £20 menu which was perfect. Probably wouldn't go when the food is full price as the mid week deals are great.Special Features:
- 409 Revivalbrownbear67Dined on 11/5/2014Took advantage of the special deal for an early Sunday eve meal and lovely it was too. Venison cooked to perfection as was my other half's steak. Very well priced Pinto Noir with attentive waiter and corner table as requested. Tick tick tick. Back again soon, no doubt. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealPercyDined on 11/5/2014I took a friend for a celebratory Sunday lunch. Fantastic starter of pig cheek, my friend adored his roast and we both loved the eton mess. The wine we chose, Pinot Noir, is all he can talk about. Lovely waitress. Only four tables of diners, which surprised us, but it was peaceful. Would definitely recommend, my friend has already rebooked.Special Features:
- A very romantic settingEatingout101Dined on 5/5/2014The service is amazing as was the food. The whole place felt warm; ideal for a romantic meal for 2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local gemcoatyDined on 3/5/2014409 is one of Clapham´s little gem, nicely tucked away upstairs away from the bustle. The food is beautiful, the service attentive and friendly. The open table deal was great value, would definitely go back as I continue to dream about their elderflower & champagne jelly dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!FlopitaVIPDined on 2/5/2014Went for a weekend night dinner w my partner and as usual had a great evening. Food was great, service very kind, but above all, the place has such a nice vibe! Would def recommend especially for a date nightSpecial Features:
- Won't be going backLilchefDined on 1/5/2014My boyfriend and I visited this place a few years ago and had a nice meal, so we thought we'd give it another go. Wished we hadn't as the food was pretty poor. Trio of fish starter was just 3 thick chunks of tasteless fish, two of which were raw - very little sign of any skill involved in preparing it. The venison main was fine - the venison was cooked well at least. The desserts were awful. The rhubarb and mint fool tasted like toothpaste as instead of using fresh mint they'd lined the bottom of the cocktail glass it was served in with syrop de menthe! Other dishes were ok, but nothing was worth the prices they are charging. Service was slow and distracted. End bill (even with desserts taken off) was far too much for the experience.
- Overall a pleasant experienceJamiezzDined on 29/4/2014Menu could be a bit wider and with not as extravagant options - this is Clapham and not Chelsea! Maybe introduce some more "home favourites" but with a twist? Service was ok - I did have to catch the waiter for my 2nd drink and also to ask for the bill. There was no check back during the meal. The atmosphere was great and live music a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 409 or 999?3DeeDined on 20/4/2014Slow but very attentive service. Excellent food. Nice venue. Recommended. 3DeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.