Four O Nine
409 Clapham Road
London, SW9 9BTNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Four O Nine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fouronine.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7737 0722
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm and 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Modern European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Chris Sargeant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Modern European
- Special Events: Join us every weekend for a Tea Time treat:
Sat 12pm - 4pm
Sun 12pm - 4pm
A word from Four O Nine
Four O Nine is a calm, relaxing restaurant away from the noise of Clapham High Street. Once inside, the emphasis is on great food, fantastic wines and friendly service. Food is predominantely Modern European. The focus is on creating interesting, delicious dishes that are prepared using fantastic seasonal produce and quality ingredients. Complement your meal by choosing a wine from our fantastic wine list of global wines, which offers balance and interest, or a delicious cocktail from our extensive cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
Four O Nine - Best restaurants in Clapham ›
Four O Nine reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since 29 November 2013
romance (148)special occasions (121)fit for foodies (90)group bookings (35)sunday lunch (33)outstanding value (22)pre/post theatre (18)good vegetarian options (17)business meals (17)brunch (10)afternoon tea (9)child friendly (4)outdoor eating (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- A cold experience!McKimDined on 24/11/2014We arrived on a cold evening and the main dining area is a largish room with windows along two walls. The windows are not double glazed. We were the only diners and were placed at a nicely appointed table in the corner, by one of the many windows. It was freezing! There did not seem to be any form of heating in place. There was an air conditioning unit in the ceiling, but presumably it did not produce hot air. We could not take our coats off. When it was clear the room was going to stay cold, we asked the waiter for some heat. He brought out a small, scruffy heater and plugged it in on the other side of the room. When it had no affect on our feeling comfortable, we asked to move next to the fire. It produced very little heat, even when were next to it. Unfortunately this feeling cold took the edge off the evening. The food was nice - my ribeye steak was inexplicably cut into pieces (?) , but we did not have a starter or pudding as we were cold. A shame for all of us.
- Good dining experienceMistyDined on 23/11/2014I have been hear for dinner with the same friends but came back for Sunday lunch with the same friends. Overall it was good but the menu disappointing as it was not the same as the kne on the web site. We were expecting a choice of roasts but only got one. Also the service, though attebtive, was quite slow. Other then tbat a great dining experience, price, quality etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice birthday mealDaveDined on 14/11/2014Fantastic food and ambience. Nice size restaurant with some excellent cocktails. We skipped on dessert as nothing jumped out but the dessert cocktails were a great alternative. We shared the chateaubriand and it was incredible. Occasional slow service in terms of getting attention. But it was full that night to be fair, so nothing out of the ordinary. Really good place to treat someone for an anniversary or special occasion, definitely has that vibe. She left very happy :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool venue with top food!hungrydogDined on 7/11/2014I like the buzzer system, its a nice touch. Although we were waiting in the cold a little long before we got an answer! Once inside this place was great. Service was friendly and professional. Our Italian waiter knew his menu and made great recommendations. The food was a treat, nice flavour combos and the right portion sizes. I thought the bill was very reasonable given the quality. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very averageh2walshDined on 6/11/2014The staff were nice and the room looked good. But it was freezing cold and we were the only ones in the restaurant. Food was average for the price (equivalent of good home cooked or above average pub fair). Disappointing..
- Great food at reasonable pricesFiFoodVIPDined on 1/11/2014The dining room is a little dark but it has a chilled, relaxed ambience. We had the brown crab to share to start and it was brought as 2 separate portions which I thought was a nice touch. It was a large portion for 1 person, very tasty and well presented. I had the sirloin steak and chips which was cooked and seasoned perfectly for my taste and my guest had the cod cheeks which were also well presented and she said were very good. There was a fair selection of wines by the glass and our selections were very good. I would definitely recommend it to a friendSpecial Features:
- relaxed fun evening dinnerDrBenDined on 31/10/2014we had dinner with friends, enjoyable relaxed ambiance, good service. Good quality food, recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/10/2014The wine list was very good as well and the food really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lcs24Dined on 25/10/2014Great food on the openable menu, friendly staff and lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food/ poor wine serviceFoodie1002Dined on 18/10/2014We chose this restaurant for my husbands 50th birthday! Overall we had a really great night, the foie gras starter was delicious as was my main- one of the tenderest pieces of fillet steak I have ever eaten. The restaurant is atmospheric and inviting, but spoilt somewhat by the poor wine service. I first requested a pinot noir off the wine list which was unavailable, so then opted for a rioja which was also unavailable. The waiter offered an alternative which was £15 more expensive than our chosen bottle. We declined. He then recommended the Fleurie which was expensive and disappointing. Later the same thing happened with the dessert wine. It felt rather like they were intentionally trying to upsell which was irritating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent excellent excellentMikachuDined on 18/10/2014A great restaurant with a fantastic menu and wonderful food. I always look forward to eating here and am constantly suprised at just how good it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was poor so will not returnPepeliciousDined on 18/10/2014We ordered from the set menu. The steak was of poor quality and the pasta very bland. Will not return as the standard of food was very poor. Nice inside though.
- LoveGoodFoodDined on 9/10/2014It was good but not special as I had been given to understand. Also not in my area so found it a hike and because my guest had add ons worke dout to be expensive. If someone was looking for a good restaurant in that area, I would recommend it as the food I had was good but I do find it pricey for what it is. Think it would be kinder to say the restaurant is on the side road - walked for ages to find it and no one seemed to have heard of it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy couplesDineTooRarelyDined on 2/10/2014We enjoyed the Four O Nine once again. The romantic ambience didn't disappoint and the waiter was just attentive enough - very helpful with a food allergy for one of us (which wasn't allowed to detract from the meal) and exactly right on the cooking of the steak. The OpenTable offer brought it within reach of the budget. The dessert menu would be better explored with another offer than the set menu, hence a star off. And the sunset wasn't quite perfect, which is enough excuse for another visit! The basics? Close to stations, toilets fine, entrance now slightly harder to find - ring the bell! And service included on the bill - which I would have happily added myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentmha18Dined on 24/9/2014First visit and my main draw was the offer of the set menu for £20. Starter portion sizes were particularly small but the mail courses were of decent size and pretty tasty. There is a compulsory service charge, which in this day and age I believe should be optional, should you experience poor service. We were a group of four and the waiter managed to get our orders wrong, bring us the incorrect wine (which so happened to be much more expensive than the one we had asked for) and there was a hair in my starter. Also poor customer service and condescending communication when booking a table of 6 people, which this restaurant deem "a group booking". This should be a great little find, but the detail and customer service lets it down.
- A little tasty secretJB2012VIPDined on 22/9/2014You have to buzz through a side door on the street to get in. Once you are up there it is a little dimly lit hideaway. We were there on a Monday night. The food was delicious. The service was a bit slow and the cocktails were yummy. All in all a great dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing food.LeanneDined on 20/9/2014Myself and a friend went to four 0 nine on Saturday. At first we was a bit put of by the outside of the restaurant as it's on a side road just a door no windows etc. we went into the pub next door and they gave us information regarding the restaurant. once inside, was totally shocked the décor is fantastic the food looks beautiful is presented wonderfully. I would defo recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing little eaterybaileybitsnbobsVIPDined on 19/9/2014A lovely little restaurant in the heart of Clapham north. The ambiance was very relaxing, romantic and cosy. the food overall was very good and the staff were very accommodating and kind to our needs.Special Features:
- Lcs24Dined on 18/9/2014Myself and a friend took another friend for a birthday treat post theatre for the three courses for £20 and a glass of prosecco. We all thought it was such a lovely and cosy restaurant, very accommodating and with friendly staff. The food was a little disappointing. Not bad but we expected better. We all had the mushroom starter which we were all disappointed with it was more like a watery soup. We all enjoyed our mains of two fish checks and one pasta but accompaniments (such as veg) come at a price and those hidden costs with deals do annoy me. We all had desert the girls enjoyed theirs but I was disappointed, maybe it was just my tasts but it's rare that I'm disappointed eating out. I wonder if there's less effort put into the deal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can be specialNelsonVIPDined on 13/9/2014But if you arrive on a friday night and it's packed then it's loud and not charming at all. The place has a nice feel but it can be very noisy if fully packed with birthday people. The food is nice and tasty. The selection of wine is fine. The service is really good. Maybe a sunday dinner may be more pleasant.Special Features:
- Very averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014The location was convenient and the decor was okay. I liked the sandwiches and the tea. The cakes were a disappointment because everything just tasted sweet with nothing too special about them in terms of flavours and appearance.
- Great midweek treatDolc9Dined on 10/9/2014We decided to go out for a meal on a Wednesday night and the £20 deal for 3 courses sounded brilliant. It even included a glass of prosecco. The quality of the food was great. We hadn't been here for a while but the quality of the food is as good as we remembered. IT was very quiet, only 3 tables. it wasn't an issue for us, it just seemed a shame. I'm sure it's busier during the weekend. We will return. Brilliant place in Clapham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date nightFlopitaVIPDined on 6/9/2014Once again, we had a great night at 409. It is such a lovely little place, and the special menu makes it really good value. Food is yummy yet simple, but ambiance and service makes up for it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyrVIPDined on 4/9/2014I really like your restaurant, and have eaten with you before and never had reason to complain. but this time I have three points: 1) the amuse bouche are always very welcomed but it would be good if one was vegetarian as to not be able to eat both was disappointing 2) you should put the bread price on the menu if you are going to charge for it 3) the service was awful. it took 30 minutes for someone to take an order, and every time we wanted anything ti took at least 5 minutes to wave someone down. it genuinely was terrible, and became the main topic of conversation as we got more irritated. it was as though the table in the far corner was off everyone's radarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ambience and tasty foodChickenStockDined on 3/9/2014Couldn't fault Four O Nine - the service was superb and the food was well cooked, nicely presented and tasted great - though the pigeon breast could have probably done without the olives. At £20 for 3 courses and a glass of prosseco it represents fantastic value. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Last minute Sunday LunchHappyeaterDined on 31/8/2014Needed to find a table for Sunday Lunch at the last minute and came across the reviews for Four O Nine which were very positive. Am pleased to say they were accurate. £20 for a three course Sunday lunch in Central London (3/4 choices for each course) we felt was good value. The food was very good, my husband and son said it was the best roast beef they had had for a long time! My daughter and I, who were not so hungry, enjoyed the sea bass. The staff were very friendly and we would definitely go again. One tip, if you can't find the entrance door, look down the side street behind the pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinggourmetsteveDined on 29/8/2014Read some good reviews and the ambience seemed good with friendly staff. Got off to a good start with very good starters but then had to wait for about an hour for the main courses to arrive. One of our party then had to send back theirs since the fish was completely raw and when it returned was under seasoned and bland. The quality of the ingredients is very good and the dishes appeared well planned but the execution of the cooking seemed to lack any finesse and have been put together in a hurry. This isn't a low budget restaurant and I would expect a lot better for the prices charged. They did deduct the uncooked fish from the bill.
- This place never disappointswundawomanDined on 21/8/2014Another fantastic evening at Four O Nine. Delicious food, great wine list, fantastic service, comfortable room, and just the right soundtrack to create the ambience for a perfect night. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- gorgeous secret restaurantlaucarloniDined on 15/8/2014Great food, ambient and service! We really enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and excellent valueFoodie4Dined on 14/8/2014It was my birthday, and my husband could not have chosen a better venue. Amazing, mouth-watering food cooked to perfection, from the set menu. The staff are friendly and caring and we are looking forward to a return visit. Google maps show it some distance from where it actually is, which is literally just opposite the station on the same side of the road - so very convenient too. Excellent!Special Features:
- Nice DecorCatalinaVIPDined on 13/8/2014It can be hard to find the entrance as the map reference given on the website is no where near the actual restaurant on Google Maps. But once you've worked out its about the Clapham North Pub, its certainly a lovely experience coming here. I took my partner out for dinner, and it was a little empty (possibly normal for a wednesday night) but good food and nice decor made up for that.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner at Four O NineJCo81VIPDined on 10/8/2014Love this place, it's always a treat. Beautiful food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute treat!EvaMDined on 9/8/2014Just decided we wanted to go out Saturday night and managed to bag the £20 2 course deal. Had a great time. Food was excellent and we got a glass prosecco and some little canapés all included. Def recommend for a special occasion without breaking the bank. Private entrance is quite quirky too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made our eveningBubb1es01Dined on 1/8/2014Thank you 'Team Four O Nine' for another memorable evening with great food, service, ambience & particularly special treatment allowing us to make the most of one night's reunion of old friends & keeping the bar open til 2am for us! Couldn't think of a better venue for our special eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice casual mealJimboxDined on 1/8/2014Decent fresh food in a casual but hip ambience, good for dinner with friends or a 2nd date.
- Awesome EverythingAj9372Dined on 29/7/2014An amazing experience, went on a Tuesday with a close female friend for a special night, opted for the date night menu with free wine, cannot fault anything food, wine, service , ambience , price all 150% on the mark, we both loved it will def be going back.Special Features:
- A dining experience in ClaphamJasonDined on 29/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the experience at Four O Nine. Interesting private access to the restaurant was unexpected but added to the experience. Service was very good and attentive, but probably needs to slow a little with the restaurant not being too busy the night we were there. The food was simply outstanding from the amuse bouche through to the chocolates with the bill! The presentation of the food was appealing the tastes sensational. The style of food with the freshness reminded me of a good restaurant back home in Sydney. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Pompous rubbishOrwell1Dined on 22/7/2014Overpriced pretentious food, portions were small and tried to be elaborate, but they were just rubbish. Music changed every 30 seconds like some mega mix. Wine was overpriced and the waiter kept in over filling my glass, even though I asked him twice to leave the wine filling to us. The mains were overpriced and the only decent thing was the side order of potatoes. This place is just trying too hard to be something it isn't and only just gets away with it because it's in Clapham. Just a pompous disappointment.Special Features:
- Great foodPhilipDined on 17/7/2014A really good evening slightly spoiled by very inattentive service to start with but they did pick up and it was good later on. Food was delicious and well presented, wine is good value.Special Features:
- ExcellentRogerMellieDined on 7/7/2014Very good food - went on a Monday. Retained a decent ambience despite being quiet