Four O Nine
409 Clapham Road
London, SW9 9BTNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Four O Nine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fouronine.co.uk/
- Phone: 02077370722x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm and 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Modern European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Chris Sargeant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Modern European
- Special Events: Join us every weekend for a Tea Time treat:
Sat 12pm - 4pm
Sun 12pm - 4pm
A word from Four O Nine
Four O Nine is a calm, relaxing restaurant away from the noise of Clapham High Street. Once inside, the emphasis is on great food, fantastic wines and friendly service. Food is predominantely Modern European. The focus is on creating interesting, delicious dishes that are prepared using fantastic seasonal produce and quality ingredients. Complement your meal by choosing a wine from our fantastic wine list of global wines, which offers balance and interest, or a delicious cocktail from our extensive cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomance
Four O Nine - Best restaurants in Clapham ›
Four O Nine reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since 23 October 2013
romance (157)special occasions (133)fit for foodies (100)group bookings (37)sunday lunch (35)outstanding value (23)good vegetarian options (20)business meals (16)pre/post theatre (16)afternoon tea (10)brunch (10)child friendly (4)outdoor eating (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- Fantastic food/ poor wine serviceFoodie1002Dined on 18/10/2014We chose this restaurant for my husbands 50th birthday! Overall we had a really great night, the foie gras starter was delicious as was my main- one of the tenderest pieces of fillet steak I have ever eaten. The restaurant is atmospheric and inviting, but spoilt somewhat by the poor wine service. I first requested a pinot noir off the wine list which was unavailable, so then opted for a rioja which was also unavailable. The waiter offered an alternative which was £15 more expensive than our chosen bottle. We declined. He then recommended the Fleurie which was expensive and disappointing. Later the same thing happened with the dessert wine. It felt rather like they were intentionally trying to upsell which was irritating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent excellent excellentMikachuDined on 18/10/2014A great restaurant with a fantastic menu and wonderful food. I always look forward to eating here and am constantly suprised at just how good it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveGoodFoodDined on 9/10/2014It was good but not special as I had been given to understand. Also not in my area so found it a hike and because my guest had add ons worke dout to be expensive. If someone was looking for a good restaurant in that area, I would recommend it as the food I had was good but I do find it pricey for what it is. Think it would be kinder to say the restaurant is on the side road - walked for ages to find it and no one seemed to have heard of it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy couplesDineTooRarelyDined on 2/10/2014We enjoyed the Four O Nine once again. The romantic ambience didn't disappoint and the waiter was just attentive enough - very helpful with a food allergy for one of us (which wasn't allowed to detract from the meal) and exactly right on the cooking of the steak. The OpenTable offer brought it within reach of the budget. The dessert menu would be better explored with another offer than the set menu, hence a star off. And the sunset wasn't quite perfect, which is enough excuse for another visit! The basics? Close to stations, toilets fine, entrance now slightly harder to find - ring the bell! And service included on the bill - which I would have happily added myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentmha18Dined on 24/9/2014First visit and my main draw was the offer of the set menu for £20. Starter portion sizes were particularly small but the mail courses were of decent size and pretty tasty. There is a compulsory service charge, which in this day and age I believe should be optional, should you experience poor service. We were a group of four and the waiter managed to get our orders wrong, bring us the incorrect wine (which so happened to be much more expensive than the one we had asked for) and there was a hair in my starter. Also poor customer service and condescending communication when booking a table of 6 people, which this restaurant deem "a group booking". This should be a great little find, but the detail and customer service lets it down.
- A little tasty secretJB2012VIPDined on 22/9/2014You have to buzz through a side door on the street to get in. Once you are up there it is a little dimly lit hideaway. We were there on a Monday night. The food was delicious. The service was a bit slow and the cocktails were yummy. All in all a great dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing food.LeanneDined on 20/9/2014Myself and a friend went to four 0 nine on Saturday. At first we was a bit put of by the outside of the restaurant as it's on a side road just a door no windows etc. we went into the pub next door and they gave us information regarding the restaurant. once inside, was totally shocked the décor is fantastic the food looks beautiful is presented wonderfully. I would defo recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lcs24Dined on 18/9/2014Myself and a friend took another friend for a birthday treat post theatre for the three courses for £20 and a glass of prosecco. We all thought it was such a lovely and cosy restaurant, very accommodating and with friendly staff. The food was a little disappointing. Not bad but we expected better. We all had the mushroom starter which we were all disappointed with it was more like a watery soup. We all enjoyed our mains of two fish checks and one pasta but accompaniments (such as veg) come at a price and those hidden costs with deals do annoy me. We all had desert the girls enjoyed theirs but I was disappointed, maybe it was just my tasts but it's rare that I'm disappointed eating out. I wonder if there's less effort put into the deal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can be specialNelsonVIPDined on 13/9/2014But if you arrive on a friday night and it's packed then it's loud and not charming at all. The place has a nice feel but it can be very noisy if fully packed with birthday people. The food is nice and tasty. The selection of wine is fine. The service is really good. Maybe a sunday dinner may be more pleasant.Special Features:
- Very averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014The location was convenient and the decor was okay. I liked the sandwiches and the tea. The cakes were a disappointment because everything just tasted sweet with nothing too special about them in terms of flavours and appearance.
- Great midweek treatDolc9Dined on 10/9/2014We decided to go out for a meal on a Wednesday night and the £20 deal for 3 courses sounded brilliant. It even included a glass of prosecco. The quality of the food was great. We hadn't been here for a while but the quality of the food is as good as we remembered. IT was very quiet, only 3 tables. it wasn't an issue for us, it just seemed a shame. I'm sure it's busier during the weekend. We will return. Brilliant place in Clapham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date nightFlopitaVIPDined on 6/9/2014Once again, we had a great night at 409. It is such a lovely little place, and the special menu makes it really good value. Food is yummy yet simple, but ambiance and service makes up for it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyrVIPDined on 4/9/2014I really like your restaurant, and have eaten with you before and never had reason to complain. but this time I have three points: 1) the amuse bouche are always very welcomed but it would be good if one was vegetarian as to not be able to eat both was disappointing 2) you should put the bread price on the menu if you are going to charge for it 3) the service was awful. it took 30 minutes for someone to take an order, and every time we wanted anything ti took at least 5 minutes to wave someone down. it genuinely was terrible, and became the main topic of conversation as we got more irritated. it was as though the table in the far corner was off everyone's radarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ambience and tasty foodChickenStockDined on 3/9/2014Couldn't fault Four O Nine - the service was superb and the food was well cooked, nicely presented and tasted great - though the pigeon breast could have probably done without the olives. At £20 for 3 courses and a glass of prosseco it represents fantastic value. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Last minute Sunday LunchHappyeaterDined on 31/8/2014Needed to find a table for Sunday Lunch at the last minute and came across the reviews for Four O Nine which were very positive. Am pleased to say they were accurate. £20 for a three course Sunday lunch in Central London (3/4 choices for each course) we felt was good value. The food was very good, my husband and son said it was the best roast beef they had had for a long time! My daughter and I, who were not so hungry, enjoyed the sea bass. The staff were very friendly and we would definitely go again. One tip, if you can't find the entrance door, look down the side street behind the pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinggourmetsteveDined on 29/8/2014Read some good reviews and the ambience seemed good with friendly staff. Got off to a good start with very good starters but then had to wait for about an hour for the main courses to arrive. One of our party then had to send back theirs since the fish was completely raw and when it returned was under seasoned and bland. The quality of the ingredients is very good and the dishes appeared well planned but the execution of the cooking seemed to lack any finesse and have been put together in a hurry. This isn't a low budget restaurant and I would expect a lot better for the prices charged. They did deduct the uncooked fish from the bill.
- This place never disappointswundawomanDined on 21/8/2014Another fantastic evening at Four O Nine. Delicious food, great wine list, fantastic service, comfortable room, and just the right soundtrack to create the ambience for a perfect night. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- gorgeous secret restaurantlaucarloniDined on 15/8/2014Great food, ambient and service! We really enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and excellent valueFoodie4Dined on 14/8/2014It was my birthday, and my husband could not have chosen a better venue. Amazing, mouth-watering food cooked to perfection, from the set menu. The staff are friendly and caring and we are looking forward to a return visit. Google maps show it some distance from where it actually is, which is literally just opposite the station on the same side of the road - so very convenient too. Excellent!Special Features:
- Nice DecorCatalinaVIPDined on 13/8/2014It can be hard to find the entrance as the map reference given on the website is no where near the actual restaurant on Google Maps. But once you've worked out its about the Clapham North Pub, its certainly a lovely experience coming here. I took my partner out for dinner, and it was a little empty (possibly normal for a wednesday night) but good food and nice decor made up for that.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner at Four O NineJCo81VIPDined on 10/8/2014Love this place, it's always a treat. Beautiful food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute treat!EvaMDined on 9/8/2014Just decided we wanted to go out Saturday night and managed to bag the £20 2 course deal. Had a great time. Food was excellent and we got a glass prosecco and some little canapés all included. Def recommend for a special occasion without breaking the bank. Private entrance is quite quirky too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made our eveningBubb1es01Dined on 1/8/2014Thank you 'Team Four O Nine' for another memorable evening with great food, service, ambience & particularly special treatment allowing us to make the most of one night's reunion of old friends & keeping the bar open til 2am for us! Couldn't think of a better venue for our special eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice casual mealJimboxDined on 1/8/2014Decent fresh food in a casual but hip ambience, good for dinner with friends or a 2nd date.
- Awesome EverythingAj9372Dined on 29/7/2014An amazing experience, went on a Tuesday with a close female friend for a special night, opted for the date night menu with free wine, cannot fault anything food, wine, service , ambience , price all 150% on the mark, we both loved it will def be going back.Special Features:
- A dining experience in ClaphamJasonDined on 29/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the experience at Four O Nine. Interesting private access to the restaurant was unexpected but added to the experience. Service was very good and attentive, but probably needs to slow a little with the restaurant not being too busy the night we were there. The food was simply outstanding from the amuse bouche through to the chocolates with the bill! The presentation of the food was appealing the tastes sensational. The style of food with the freshness reminded me of a good restaurant back home in Sydney. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Pompous rubbishOrwell1Dined on 22/7/2014Overpriced pretentious food, portions were small and tried to be elaborate, but they were just rubbish. Music changed every 30 seconds like some mega mix. Wine was overpriced and the waiter kept in over filling my glass, even though I asked him twice to leave the wine filling to us. The mains were overpriced and the only decent thing was the side order of potatoes. This place is just trying too hard to be something it isn't and only just gets away with it because it's in Clapham. Just a pompous disappointment.Special Features:
- Great foodPhilipDined on 17/7/2014A really good evening slightly spoiled by very inattentive service to start with but they did pick up and it was good later on. Food was delicious and well presented, wine is good value.Special Features:
- ExcellentRogerMellieDined on 7/7/2014Very good food - went on a Monday. Retained a decent ambience despite being quiet
- Early dinnerfood4thoughtDined on 28/6/2014we were first in so felt we had the place to ourselves - place started to get buzzy from 7 - lovely food - friendly service and a fab tiramisu cocktail to finish the meal and set us up for the party we were off toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWantbetterserviceDined on 26/6/2014First time to four o nine Absolutely outstanding As good as chez Bruce but also very different too. Loved it and will def go again. That (and chez Bruce) are two brilliant foodie options only a couple of miles from each other.
- Dinner for twoperzoperzoDined on 23/6/2014My wife and I had dinner at 409 after hearing good things from a number of friends. The restaurant is nicely decorated and there is a good ambiance. Once we had sat down, we were provided with water and canapes which is a nice touch. The service was very good but on the whole I was disappointed with the food. One of the starters was burrata with tomatoes and that was literally all it was. For mains we had chicken and steak and both were very straightforward and a bit disappointing. For dessert, the knickerbocker glory was a scoop of ice cream with half a banana and some chocolate sauce. We were both a little underwhelmed as we felt that this could easily be produced at home and we fancied treating ourselves a bit.Special Features:
- lovely meal and terrific staffDPM06Dined on 23/6/2014Food was delicious. Staff couldn't be more friendly and obliging. Food arrived in a timely manner. Restaurant has a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. I would argue it is perfect for a romantic candle lit dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice serviceEaterDined on 22/6/2014I had been a few years before with friends and it hasn't changed, still good food and nice service. The wine list was unfussy and accessible. Regarding the food it was done well, seasonal and the paprika chips with the steak were lovely! I went on a Sunday evening so didn't have any issues with bad service as other reviewers seem to have had, but I would happily go again if I was in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Loved place and serviceMyNicknameDined on 21/6/2014Good food. Loved the place and the service is greatSpecial Features:
- FabulousVIPDined on 19/6/2014Lack lustre food and poor value for money but friendly staff. Starter consisted of 3 stems of asparagus and a poached egg! Pathetic. The knickerbocker glory had no fresh fruit as advertised and was horrible. The standard of cooking really gone down from our last visit. We won't be returning. The meal for two was £90 for mediocre food.
- Great food as alwaysJoG1702Dined on 13/6/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Clapham. The food is always good, the atmosphere is lovely, the service is a bit slow, but it doesn't really matterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to the usual standardOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/6/2014Poor service....lack of staff....disgusting toilets all blocked.....not what this restaurant used to be like. What a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sunday LunchsindersDined on 1/6/2014I visited this restaurant for the second time when my family came to visit. Excellent value at 23 pounds for 3 courses, food was delicious with additional canapés too. Great decor and not rushed at all.Special Features:
- Return to FormEMM1Dined on 31/5/2014Food was great, service was great and and the ambiance as ever is lovely. This was a return visit on a Saturday night, not having been there for a time, following a couple of middling visits where the food was not brilliant. I am delighted to say the kitchen is back on form and the food was delicious! This has always been my favourite restaurant in Clapham despite the wobble in previous visits and I am gald to say they are firmly back at the top of my favourites list.I would recommend this to a friend.