Fratello's Scotch Corner
Scotch Corner Hotel
Darlington, DL10 6NRNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
Fratello's Scotch Corner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fratellosrestaurants.co.uk/
- Phone: 01748 828616
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria, Italian
- Executive Chef: Steven Keys
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Fratello's Scotch Corner
Fratello's restaurant is located at Scotch Corner. This well known UK landmark has been a busy meeting place since Roman times and today continues to be so today. It's central position situated at the junction of the A1 and the A66 near Darlington makes it perfect for friends & family to gather or for business people to meet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Fratello's Scotch Corner - Best restaurants in West Auckland ›
Fratello's Scotch Corner reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (9)sunday lunch (7)business meals (7)group bookings (7)child friendly (6)romance (5)outstanding value (4)fit for foodies (4)disabled access (3)brunch (2)good vegetarian options (2)pre/post theatre (2)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- First time at Fratello'sjason4872Dined on 11/10/2014We really enjoyed our meal and the friendly atmosphere, helped by the excellent staff and would come again in a larger group. The food was very tasty, bit one of the pizza bases was almost as thin as a poppadom whilst the other was just about right. However we did both then suffer from an upset stomach which we can only attribute to the joint antipasti and garlic pizza/bread starter we had, but despite this we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good service.whatnamecaniuseDined on 5/9/2014We dined here as we were staying at the hotel. All food we had was of good quality and nicely presented. The service on the night we dined was spot on, Sammy our waitress for the evening was lovely. I liked this place and will go back next time we are passing through.Special Features:
- Food 1 Wine 0WyntoloDined on 15/8/2014Having come to rely on Fratello's Scotch Corner for tasty food from an interesting menu we were not disappointed on our last visit although at least one diner observed that portion size appeared to have shrunk. Our one gripe concerns the apparently recent sharp increase in the price of wines! A quick calculation appears to show that the average bottle price - not including champagnes - is now above £27 although there are seven or eight bottles in the £16.95 to £20 range. It would seem that there's something of a mismatch between the reasonably priced food and the price of wines. Surely, a house wine at, say, about £14 maximum would make more sense.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/7/2014Excellent service and food choice. Fantastic evening meal and also breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening2wholovefoodDined on 20/6/2014Had vouchers from Active Life, ate here for my GF's birthday and they brought us Prosecco! Lovely food and drink. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good fathers dayGeordieCRDined on 15/6/2014We took our Dads there for Fathers Day, selected because it was half way between houses. The hotel itself is lovely and is really modern inside. The restaurant was lovely and the staff were really attentive. The food was really nice and very well presented. Very good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealBilljohns1Dined on 25/5/2014Another excellent meal, the Sunday dinner was outstanding with the chef using seasonal and local produce.Special Features:
- Brilliant ServiceLissyDined on 1/5/2014My friend and I went to Fratello's, because we had heard some amazing things about the food. The food was amazing, (I had the squid ink risotto - absolutely gorgeous) but for me personally it was the service that really did it for me. We got served by Melissa, and she was amazing, she chatted with us and was genuinely a lovely person! Would definitely go back again and will be taking more friends in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not cooked,over an hour waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/4/2014The starter took 40 minutes to arrive, which was excellent. Then we had to wait another 30 minutes for the main, the chicken was uncooked- still pink. As I made a complained I was not questioned and the staff did not seemed shocked by this. I was asked if i wanted a replacement meal, i asked how longer it would take as i had already waited over an hour for the main the first time round. I was shocked to hear that it would only take five minutes as it was pre-cooked. Why the wait of over an hour to start with? They couldn't answer that question.
- Nice restaurantMazzaDined on 29/3/2014Drinks were a bit slow in arriving, my food wasn't exactly as expected peas instead of beans in the cod sauce, but overall goodSpecial Features:
- Sunday lunchflashDined on 16/3/2014We thought the Sunday lunch set menu was good value and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel convenience foodSquigseyDined on 19/2/2014I attended the restaurant with my family for a mid week cooking break. The food was basic and I felt a little overpriced, we ordered pizza which was lacking in topping, and the lamb was a little undercooked. However, the service was fantastic with very helpful professional staff.Special Features:
- A few tweeks neededgrousegirlDined on 15/2/2014Our first visit to Fratellos was much anticipated as it's only 10 minutes from home. The waitress was lovely and very informative. The large prawn starter was fabulous and my bruschetta also, presentation was beautiful. My husband ordered the Fratellos Pasta Penne which was so salty from the prosciutto it was very hard to finish, I had good old Tagliatelle Bolognese which was delicious but the portion compared to my husbands Penne dish was tiny. I left feeling hungry!! We will give it another go and choose other dishes but I can't rate it more than 6/10Special Features:
- Great dayGeordiexmasDined on 29/12/2013Met the family here for Sunday lunch, we had an excellent meal, and relaxed in the lounge for coffee, service was superb, food was presented beautifully and we had a wonderful time here and would recommend to anyone, we will definitely be back, even though we travelled over 100 miles, well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Fratello's Scotch Corner reviews archive.
- Birthday mealGujiaDined on 20/7/2013We booked online for a meal for my partners birthday, we received our free bottle of bubbles which was very nice ;-) service was very good and being able to watch the chef make pizza was great. The veal was a little tough but nice not all was eaten and the price was refunded very nice not to have to argue this fact. Nice decor nice menu not too much choice. We will be back soon ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian @ The Holiday InnspwallisVIPDined on 19/6/2013The Holiday Inn chain is the company choice of Hotels for the overnight stay, normally the HI restaurants are nothing but functional ares set aside from main reception that are used for breakfast, lunch and evening meals. So you can imagine my delight at being confronted by a proper destination restaurant with a reasonable looking Italian menu. The meal started exceptionally well with a starter selected from the daily specials, the asparagus with ducks egg in a lemon hollandaise sauce was delicious, the main of Fratello's pasta was also enjoyable, unfortunately the tiramisu to finish left a rather unfortunate bitter coffee taste in the mouth. The service from the waiting staff deserves a mention as it was both friendly and slick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near but farFlowerDined on 10/5/2013Went here instead of usual trip to La Piazza2 in Richmond. Service started out great, we were eating early with 2 children, but slowed down as soon as other diners appeared. Starters of Fritto Misto, arrived cold. Pizzas tasty enough,but had been waiting under hot lights for a while - this was unnecessary as we were the only ones there! Place lacked atmosphere, but is tastefully done up. So although only 5 minutes down the road, not sure we'll go back.Special Features:
- Saturday night treatTravellerDined on 6/4/2013What a treat for us now Fratelloes has opened as we live next door. Lovely atmosphere, staff always very attentive and friendly. Food is always excellent and we love the specials which are changed every couple days. The reward system ie scratch cards and discount cards are a great idea. All in all Fratelloes is an excellent restaurant and value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers' Day lunchSadieDined on 10/3/2013We booked a table online for a late lunch on Mothers' Day. The menu offered a good choice, the food was nicely cooked and well presented, though the roast could have been a bit warmer. Service was excellent. The free glass of bubbly, chocolates to take away and, unexpectedly, the free meal for 'Mum' were an added bonus. The venue is spacious and stylish with comfy sofas if you want to relax over coffee after a meal. The car park is free for those using the restaurant or hotel. We would definitely use this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable experiancemelbecDined on 10/3/2013the ambience is exellent the staff very proffesional but also friendly and help to make it an enjoyable experiance the sunday lunch very good and the soup always comes out top have been for a couple of special treats eg birthdays ect even when the staff didnt know but when found out made it special cant fault itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fratello March 2013ciccioforestoDined on 6/3/2013Having been to fratellos on a few occasions, i knew that the service is stretched, to put it poiltely. The starters were really good. The large prawns have been a reason for going back since the restaurant opened. The main courses were poor. my lady did not enjoy the seafood risotto (a poor comparison to Foffano's in Darlington the week before) and the lamb dish that i had was extremely dry. The main issue, as last time, is that you order a glass of wine to go with your dinner and it does not arrive until you have practically finished your meal ! Disappointing.
- Excellent eveningTravellerDined on 26/2/2013Lovely relaxed atmosphere. Staff very friendly. The specials menu changed daily and always excellent value for money. House wine reasonably priced in restaurant. We eat here regularly and love it when the special offers for 50 per cent off vouchers for food are available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this was our 2nd visit andlocalyocalDined on 30/1/2013this was our 2nd visit and it was as good as our first timeSpecial Features:
- we dine here regular becausemelbecDined on 28/1/2013we dine here regular because the food and the staff are verygood. we arrived with staff not knowing a birthday wasthe occasion soon as she came with menus to us in bar she noticed cards and pesents when arriving at table it was decorated for us and a good time was had by al.l the sunday lunch is the best we have had anywhere we have yet to find anything wrong with evening or lunch time dinning recomend to everyone we know and few have gone on our recomendation and havent been disappointed. the room is well decorated and always spotlesswe love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very enjoyable eveningBobsyDined on 26/1/2013We had a very enjoyable evening service and food very good. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely experienceclairelouDined on 25/1/2013I treated my partner to a birthday meal. I was very pleased with my choice as I have heared mixed reports on the resturant. This was my 2nd visit but knew my partner would enjoy it as I did on both of my visits. There was a nice steady stream of customers through out the time we where there. The only down side was we had to wait quite long periods from asking for a drink to actually receiving it, we did then realise it comes from the hotels main bar and not from inside the resturant so this was understood but in the same breath, no body likes to wait for a drink when enjoying a lovely meal. Staff friendly. Food was fantastic. I had the tuna salad of which the tuna was cooked to perfection. Just as I asked and liked. Will deffo go again.Special Features:
- not there yet!nottimeteamDined on 5/1/2013V. little for vegetarians, nothing for vegans unless an ingredient is omitted. Though not stated, they make their own pesto, without Parmesan and thus OK for vegetarians. Pizza not recommended: bases tough & v salty, toppings rather thin, though I appreciated the generous quantity of olives when I asked for a couple instead of cheese. Those in the party who had something other than pizza were pleased with their dishes & the house wine is very nice. We were also pleased at being kept topped up with jugs of iced water. V clean, tables well spaced, pleasant helpful staff. I've put that I wouldn't recommend it but should have preferred the option of 'yes, with reservations'. Lots of spelling mistakes & fish mislabelled as vegetarian.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchBilljohns1Dined on 9/12/2012Having stayed at the Hotel several times, the food has always been outstanding. They catered for all our needs and were outstanding as normal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good all roundkatyDined on 17/9/2012Food good, decor good, staff friendly and very convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- :)SavannahJDined on 16/6/2012Our table of three had some dietary requirments (2 were pregnant and the other had medical reasons) and the staff were so helpful in picking food and drink items that would suit us. They were very patient, plus the food was amazing. I will be returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had already been to Fratello'sSwaledale1Dined on 10/6/2012We had already been to Fratello's at Newcastle Airport so decided to try Scotch Corner because it is closer to home and wasn't disappointed. The staff and service were excellent. We went for Sunday Lunch and overall it was a very good experience but would have preferred less meat but better quality.Special Features:
- We would try it again althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2012We would try it again although on Friday night the problem was the service. I did really enjoy the experience and the head waiter was doing his best. He told us that there was only one chef and they couldn't cope with the busy night. We ordered drinks before the meal which didn't come until after our bottle of wine ordered for the meal (had to ask for them again, seemed to be a problem with communication) Finally we ordered 3 coffees and 2 sweets. Again the coffees came but we were still waiting for the sweets half an hour after getting the coffees. We then asked for the bill and left after cancelling the long awaited sweets. The head waiter gave us a good discount and some voucers to compensate. Will try it again.Special Features:
- We would try it again althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012We would try it again although on Friday night the problem was the service. I did really enjoy the experience and the head waiter was doing his best. He told us that there was only one chef and they couldn't cope with the busy night. We ordered drinks before the meal which didn't come until after our bottle of wine ordered for the meal (had to ask for them again, seemed to be a problem with communication) Finally we ordered 3 coffees and 2 sweets. Again the coffees came but we were still waiting for the sweets half an hour after getting the coffees. We then asked for the bill and left after cancelling the long awaited sweets. The head waiter gave us a good discount and some voucers to compensate. Will try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in the village - itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/2/2012We live in the village - it was great to go somewhere that was literally round the corner and felt like we had 'gone out' for the night. Food was good but not quite as good as the Shoulder of Mutton, price was about the same for a 3 course meal with bottles of wine. However, we would go again. Service was excellent, very friendly and accommodating.Special Features: