Fulton's Chop House
Great Dunmow, CM6 1AXNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Fulton's Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.the-starr.co.uk/
- Phone: 01371874321x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 7.00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British
- Executive Chef: Dawn Hughes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 2 private rooms - 1 max 12 people; 1 max 32 people
- Private Party Contact: Nia Davies 01371874321x
A word from Fulton's Chop House
Here at the Fulton's Chop House we have combined the charm of an old English setting with an atmosphere that is calm and relaxed but our approach is totally professional. We are the perfect venue for couples that fancy a romantic night out to family get togethers on a Sunday afternoon. Our passion is to serve good food that showcases the best of local produce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Fulton's Chop House - Best restaurants in Dunmow ›
Fulton's Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since 31 October 2013
special occasions (20)group bookings (13)romance (12)fit for foodies (10)business meals (7)sunday lunch (7)good vegetarian options (4)brunch (2)disabled access (2)afternoon tea (1)child friendly (1)outstanding value (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Undercooked and soulessFrostyDined on 25/10/2014Recently changed from "The Starr". Bad move; stripped back, noisy, and food under done. Doesn't feel special anymore.Special Features:
- Chop HouseFoody1Dined on 18/10/2014We had a very tasty meal serviced by very friendly efficient staff. Restaurant was bright and airy and I can imagine would be cosy yet stylish in the summer. I look forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Starr, DunmowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 13/9/2014We have been here a few times and it is never less than outstanding. If it were in London critics would rave but it's in a sleepy old market town in the fine county of Essex. Every time I drive away I like to speculate as to how many people from the county are in London that night for a meal with a long journey home when there is a magnificent restaurant on their doorstep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, good food, nice staffMikearmstrongDined on 11/9/2014This is a "proper" place with good food in great surroundings. I used to come a few times per year but had not been back for 5-6 years. I was told it has been under new management for some time but it was still very good. I will be back.Special Features:
- The Star RestaurantanidavDined on 10/9/2014We live close by but had never tried the Star before. We were pleasantly surprised to find a lovely dining room, excellent food and service and no more expensive than other restaurants in Dunmow. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food nicely doneomniorgDined on 20/7/2014We had a great time. the food was beautiful and the staff were very warm and friendly. we had our 4 children with us and nothing was too much trouble.look forward to going there againSpecial Features:
- TwinkleDined on 11/7/2014This gem of Dunmow is within walking distance for us, and is becoming a regular, wonderful food, wine and service, in a beautiful building.Special Features:
- eating with friendsdinewfriendsDined on 9/7/2014Pleasant evening well looked after. Lacked some atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamuelDined on 25/6/2014We were quite impressed with the setting, experience and food at the Starr, we had been there several times some years ago but have always felt it too expensive for the odd night out. However, since the change of staff etc. they have tried to appeal to a wider clientele by offering reasonably priced mid week options, but not compromised on quality. My only criticism was that the coffee,which was relatively expensive, was in a cup not a cafetierre and there was only milk not cream.....but a small criticism! We would certainly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Lovely meal for the birthday girlLenniethevest01Dined on 13/5/2014Took mum for her birthday. Four of us, starters mains and two desserts. Bottle of wine and drinks £172.00 not bad but wish 10% service charge wasn't added. Other than that food and service spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Easter LunchAmyKinnonDined on 20/4/2014Had a lovely meal here, would definitely recommend. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/4/2014For a special occasion it's great to have a restaurant like the Starr. Good to have it back.Special Features:
- WHAT THE STARR AT DUNMOW OFFERSernieDined on 1/3/2014It does not offer a lot really. It is what used to be a superb restaurant with previous owners to now a very cold and uninviting experience. Bar and Restaurant area both cold with no atmosphere. The Staff look miserable and scared to smile. Even the tables are not decorated so they look inviting. The food was luke warm. Very overpriced for what is on offer. It used to be one of our favourite restaurants, expensive but well worth it and had a very good reputation. We will not be using it again.
- Valentine's NightwildhatDined on 14/2/2014The best local restaurant in Dunmow. Always a pleasure to spend an evening in 'The Starr'.Special Features:
- An enjoyable Valentines mealBenRDined on 14/2/2014We visited the Starr on Valentines day and enjoyed excellent food on a well chosen set menu. Having been disappointed with set menus in other restaurants, we were very pleased with all courses. The standard of food was absolutely excellent and accompanying glasses of wine well chosen. The only negative was that service came to a halt for a considerable time after the main course and we felt as if we had been forgotten about as other couples seemed to be progressing through subsequent courses despite starting after us. However, it was a busy night and as the incredible food more than made up for it so it didn't ruin our experience. Expensive but justifiably so. I would certainly reccomended it.Special Features:
- First class food and servicericky10Dined on 14/2/2014Delightful meal in this historic old building, a couple of drinks beside the warm fire in the bar, followed by a delicious meal in the restaurant - Highly recommend to all. Ricky & Kerry ValksSpecial Features:
- Return to StarrDhineramDined on 7/2/2014We had previously dined at Starr so knew what to expect - the restaurant wasn't very busy this time around as a lot of people stayed home due to rain and floods, but we were determined to enjoy our wedding anniversary and can't think of many places locally that could do this justice other than Starr. We weren't disappointed - the manager is very charming and engaging, immediately making us feel welcome and the waiter and waitress we had were very polite and non-intrusive. Food as before was amazing; I went for the Fizz and Fish, choosing the muscles which were heavenly. A nice touch was the chef created us a small sweet plate with 'Happy Anniversary' written in chocolate. Love this place and we intend to come back more often. :O)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurantTrish62Dined on 25/1/2014Nice environment with friendly, welcoming and efficient staff. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerKarenDined on 18/1/2014Returned to The Starr again on Saturday. A warm welcome, lovely and warm with the Log burning fire, excellent service, friendly and polite with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningluvgoodfoodDined on 18/12/2013Turned out there were only 3 of us in the restaurant that night but what a night! From the moment we arrived, the service was outstanding and friendly. Everyone was very knowledgeable about the food and wine and made us feel welcome and not at all uncomfortable. The food was outstanding; beautifully presented and tasted superb. The menu choice was varied including a mid week 2/3 course special of excellent value. This is our 3rd visit to The Starr and we are looking forward to our 4th. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone - good food, service and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starr QualityJBo86Dined on 6/12/2013Attentive staff, nice bar and restaurant give this place a nice feel. Supported by very good food and a decent wine list. Would recommend to anyone on a romantic evening for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StarrAmyKinnonDined on 5/12/2013Went to The Starr Restaurant on the 5th of December for my mothers birthday. Had an excellent meal which was complemented by lovely waiting staff. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cracking meal.Oldsteve56Dined on 30/11/2013Went for a meal here with my wife to celebrate my birthday after recommendations from friends. We stayed in the adjoining hotel. Absolutely top class food and service. After a glass of champagne in the bar we chose our food and were taken to our table. We both had the scallop starter. I had the fillet steak and my wife had partridge. Both were cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. All washed down with a lovely bottle of Cotes du Beaune. Creme brûlée and melting chocolate pudding to finish. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and we will be going back in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 201 reviews are from the Fulton's Chop House reviews archive.
- Lost and foundwildhatDined on 25/10/2013I hadn't been to this restaurant for many years because, basically, it wasn't very good. Under this new ownership it has been transformed in terms of food, service and ambience. It was all very enjoyable. It had the atmosphere of a top class restaurant, whilst remaining friendly and welcoming. The menu was interesting, with unusual elements, without veering off into the realms of unappetising wackiness! I am really glad that I have re-found this restaurant....it's a gem.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service:MichaelDined on 18/10/2013Excellent food and service: this was a special occasion and the restaurant lived up fully to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable evening22DINEDined on 24/8/2013Enjoyed our evening here celebrating a birthday. Food and wine very good, served by welcoming , friendly and efficient staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food butUs134Dined on 23/8/2013We decided to try as the Star has an excellent reputation for good food. It didn't disappoint but the restaurant lacked atmosphere. It wasn't particularly busy but perhaps some background music may have created a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place for sunday lunchgms1Dined on 18/8/2013booked the starr on a friends recommendation and it lived up to expectations. Good food, well cooked and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service and valueModeDined on 24/7/2013This was an anniversary dinner for two, midweek. The restaurant was quiet but not too quiet. The food was excellent as if always is. We came here a few times before the change of management and it still is first class dining. What surprised us most was the bill, just good value for a really good three course food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Night outMartinandCoDined on 13/7/2013Excellent Service, excellent food and drink. A special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five StarrAngelantoddDined on 12/7/2013This has to be one of the best restaurants that I have ever been to. The food was excellent, the cocktails were fabulous. The service was attentive without being overbearing. The staff were experienced from the maitre de to the waiters and bar staff. Made to feel welcome from the moment we walked in to the unhurried moment we left. I will love to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable evening22DINEDined on 29/6/2013We enjoyed a birthday celebration at the restaurant. No downsides to the evening at all. We shall definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for my partner's birthdaybraintreegirlDined on 5/5/2013We went for my partner's birthday and had the Sunday lunch. Food was lovely and the service was very good. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a delicious dinnerfussy2Dined on 4/5/2013We had a delicious dinner on a saturday night, A good choice on the menu, but there needs to be a great improvement to the service. The staff had to ask who was eating what when they brought the food to the table, THEY SHOULD KNOW THAT. & the topup of the glasses was slow both with the wine & particularly the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service,good qualityLuvitalianVIPDined on 30/4/2013Good service,good quality food but very expensive for the amount of food you received. Paying the same as a top London restaurant with only 2 alcholic drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceKirstyDined on 28/4/2013Fantastic food, staff were lovely polite and nothing was too much trouble. Would recommend!!Special Features:
- would reccomendJoe1Dined on 27/4/2013Went for my girlfriends birthday and had a great night. Certainly not a place to visit for a bargain but you get what you pay for and we certainly got great quality food! I will definitely be looking to visit again in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time...but not our last.iwigsterDined on 20/4/2013Having never dined at The Starr we were looking forward to a lovely meal as the menu looked great. On arrival we were invited to have a drink in the bar where my wife had a Bloody Mary (one of the best she's ever tasted) and we had canapes. The owner was very nice and talked us through the drinks/wine list and then the menu. The food was absolutely superb and the service was attentive but not intrusive. I would recommend the Dedham Vale Fillet Steak, cooked to perfection, It just melts in the mouth. My wife said the Turbot was superb and the desserts (Chocolate Fondant & Lemon Panna Cotta) were just as good and perfectly portioned. All in all a very nice evening with a nice atmosphere, we will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- midweek dinner at the StarrpleasureaterDined on 4/4/2013There could be some improvements Campari and soda served in small measures. Portions although very well presented and cooked to perfection were only of adequate size. Deserts were expensive at £8 95 each for sorbets, lemon panacotta and standard fare. However service was attentive and crisp, seats were comfortable and ambience was pleasant.The wine list was small with the accent on French wines, but it was nice to see attrctive house wines at very reasonable prices and of good standard, such as New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.Special Features:
- Could have been betterMeeeVIPDined on 26/2/2013Positives: - Decent service - Very attractive menu - Complimentary bread - Extremely well priced wine list - Nice building and room, decent sized and comfortable tables Negatives - Mixed 'canapes': expected something original and cooked, but mainly consisted of olives !! - Main course veal was poorly cooked and quite tough/chewy, although accompaniaments and overall balance of the dish was very good. Shame - Dessert prices seemed a bit excessive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.