Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
66 Baker Street
London, W1U 7DJNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.galvinrestaurants.com/section.php/4/1/galvin_bistrot_de_luxe
- Phone: 02079354007
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar
A word from Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
Marylebone restaurant Galvin Bistrot de Luxe was the first in the hugely successful Galvin stable, and the first to win the Galvin brothers their reputation of outdoing the French at classic bistro cooking. Critics and customers consistently rate the top quality French cuisine and affordable prices - the prixe fixe menus represent particularly good value, especially for this chichi area of London. Chef patron Chris Galvin and head chef Luigi Vespero have created an appealing seasonal menu with plenty of French bistro classics and, along with efficient and professional bow-tied staff, have created a very reliable dining destination you’ll be coming back to again and again. Décor at Galvin Bistrot de Luxe is elegant and pared back – leather banquettes and mahogany panelling line the walls and the atmosphere is always bustling – perfect for enjoying full-flavoured French dishes like crab lasagne, garlicky snails, wonderfully soft braised pork cheeks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Galvin Bistrot de Luxe reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since 30 October 2013
business meals (165)special occasions (128)fit for foodies (123)romance (94)pre/post theatre (72)outstanding value (48)sunday lunch (45)group bookings (26)brunch (16)outdoor eating (14)good vegetarian options (13)disabled access (10)afternoon tea (9)child friendly (6)Show More
- Perfect eveningRobWDined on 25/10/2014This is was our second special evening to The Galvin, and t was perfect. Excellent food and service. Faultless.Special Features:
- Overpriced for What you receiveBostonianVIPDined on 20/10/2014We have dined here many times and this visit was quite disappointing. My wife's order was mixed up (wrong entrée served; delay then in getting her meal while I had to wait with mine), service was indifferent and the prices now exceed the value of the experience. I doubt we will return.
- DTFLDined on 17/10/2014I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant, excellent food, service and value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchFuntimesDined on 17/10/2014Had the fixed price menu for lunch, which I thought was good value for money. The food was good and enjoyable, service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedLuv2eatDined on 8/10/2014Had to ask for the wine list/menu 4 times before our dinner before we finally got it. Later realized that we never received the complimentary champagne that we booked through open table offer. The worst of all, my friend who did not eat pork and got the duck dish with pork even though she specifically asked what's in it before we ordered. Very sad experience overall.Special Features:
- Just okAJB07Dined on 5/10/2014Nice looking brasserie-esque place with a limited French menu. Good set menu options and price and the food was very nice. Service a little hit and miss.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/10/2014good service nice welcome and food good but bit too expensiveSpecial Features:
- Amazing Food and ServiceJonetDined on 26/9/2014I love this place. Its a good way of getting an introduction to the Galvin brothers cooking approach and it is very good indeed. We tried the game menu where I had the grouse and my wife had the mallard. Both were full of flavour and suprisingly delicate for game dishes. The sommelier was outstanding with his recommendations and we had a truly enjoyable evening. I cannot help but recommend this place, as the food portions are larger and just as well cooked as other Galvin establishments.Special Features:
- Galvin Bistrot de LuxeickyDined on 18/9/2014An excellent evening from arrival and service and care for detail without intrusion, through to the 3-course menu with great taste and appearance, and of course the value of £23.50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I've hadFionajmacVIPDined on 13/9/2014What can I say? Tick tick tick. The food was sublime, the service was great (especially the maître'd) & the whole thing was casual & enjoyable. It was well-priced for what you get & portions were just right. We will be back! I hope sooner rather than later.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal as alwaysLizleVIPDined on 9/9/2014One of my favourite restaurants in London. Lovely atmosphere, excellent service, excellent food, the best value set menu around. Didn't disappoint as usual. Superb.Special Features:
- Nice evening at Galvins, Baker StBillDined on 8/9/2014I'd say that this is a good place to eat, though my chicken was a bit on the bland side to be honest. I understand the risotto which one of the party had was very good indeed. Its all a bit pricey for what it is, but friendly, service was good and a pretty OK sort of place.Special Features:
- Great food and servicesslonnw3Dined on 6/9/2014We availed of the TopTable prix fixe menu. I rated our experience "outstanding" - for quality, service and value. But be warned their la carte menu is quite priceySpecial Features:
- Consistently superbsreadieDined on 2/9/2014I have eaten here since it opened and it's consistently excellent: superbly cooked food, unfussy, great flavours, friendly staff and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a TreatTastyDined on 26/8/2014My wife and i decided to treat ourselves to lunch as a first visit to Galvins when on a heavy shopping trip to Town. We expected it to be quite expensive but it was not excessive. the food was superb - we had two sources and wine by the glass. All first class as was the service. We will almost certainly go there for our pre-Christmas lunch with friends.Special Features:
- Excellent service, great experienceMagicparkyDined on 22/8/2014We had a relatively quick turnaround time as we were eating pre-theatre. We were on a 'prix fixe' menu, which was very good value. The service was excellent, as was the meal, and the timing was perfect. My girlfriend was very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine French foodLondondinerDined on 21/8/2014Beautifully presented food that tastes just as good. Service is elegant without being pretentious. Lovely evening had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BucksVIPDined on 21/8/2014First time at this restaurant. It an easy ride from Marylebone which is good. A very good meal, good service and lovely place. So many good restaurants that we patronise have closed down and looking for replacements. This is definitely on the list, JWSpecial Features:
- Favourite in LondonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014Love the escargot, steak tartare and specials. Favourite restaurant in London. Excellent wine list tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, amazing valuedocdDined on 19/8/2014I really really enjoyed dinner here. Prix fixe 3 courses and cocktail for £23 is remarkable value. The 475ml carafe of wine is a sensible size and good value. Service couldn't be faulted. I was hugely impressed - and that doesn't happen often!
- Perfect ProfessionalismdelicieuxVIPDined on 16/8/2014Our first visit to Galvin Bistrot de Luxe was for pre-theatre dinner but it certainly won't be the last as we were all very impressed by the ambience, the friendly, helpful and efficient staff and above all the delicious food. We had opted for the fixed price menu deal (3 courses and a Champagne cocktail for £25) and although it wasn't and extensive list (3 dishes for each course), what we had was very well presented, all guests were served simultaneously and it tasted fantastic. This establishment has a very good wine list and we chose a delightful white Cote du Rhone which complemented our food perfectly. All my friends agreed we would definitely return next time we're off to the Regents Park Theatre. Don't miss this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent friday lunchSheltonDined on 15/8/2014Great food, wonderful atmosphere and exceptional service for Friday lunch menu. Great value and included a champagne cocktail. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great food, service and locationSusanDined on 14/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to this Galvin restaurant and the open table deal was excellent value . One criticism - the chicken breast in the coq au vin was dry (the chicken on the bone was perfect). Everything else was absolutely great Will be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt so goodNenetteDined on 13/8/2014We had a very good time at Galvin. The food is simple but very good. The bread and butter are exceptional. The service is incredibly friendly and professional. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- AmazingWELLFEDJLHDined on 12/8/2014We had the set menu which represented fantastic value. We had a choice of 3 things at each course and each was delicious - especially the coq au vin! Great service and lovely French environment. A really great evening with friends - already booked to go back with another set of friends before the offer ends on 31st!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!FoodieDined on 9/8/2014I was an bit uncertain when I booked this place as Baker St didn't seem like a very exciting location. I'm so glad we went. It was truly delightful. The food, the ambience the service was really good. My husband and one of our friends, who ordered the Hake found it too salty and told the waiter. It wasn't a complaint but feedback as it really was too much salt. To the credit of the restaurant, the waiter returned to say he had passed on the comments to the chef which was good.Special Features:
- GalvinDelicissimo1Dined on 7/8/2014THis is my second visit. food well executed, waiters attentive to details.well worth another visit. Good value for money with opentable dealSpecial Features:
- Reliably enjoyablePitchPerfectPaulDined on 7/8/2014Great restaurant for reliably enjoyable food and wine, and attentive good quality service. This was my third time there, and it's lived up to my expectations each time. Friendly ambience - perfect for meeting friends for lunch, a romantic dinner, or entertaining a few clients.Special Features:
- Good with the TT dealGourmetVIPDined on 4/8/2014Based on the previous reviews, I tried Galvin Bistrot de Luxe for dinner with the TT deal. The food was nice but I hadn't been blown away. In my opinion, some ambiance is lacking.Special Features:
- Very enjoyably al-frescoBombancierDined on 31/7/2014I went there for supper with 2 friends and decided to sample some supper al fresco. The bistrot has 2 outdoor seating areas; 1 at the front on Baker St and another on Dorset St. If you can, I recommend the Dorset St terrace, much quieter and nicer too. My friends and I opted for the set price menu which offers an honourable combination of meat and fish. The dishes were dexterously executed, without any frills of most establishments that are bistrot in name only. The portions were sensible enough to allow diners to enjoy their 3 courses and coffees. (No cries for mercy from these 3 men at a table.) The service was attentive and friendly, with a hint of a French accent. The interior decor is also very apt and suit a tete-a-tete too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "ok" experienceTLCPDined on 16/7/2014The set menu is good value but my main (pollock) was a bit disappointing. The waiting staff was attentive when I first arrived but service was slow later as they didn't seem to notice us.Special Features:
- Great dealPKTEDined on 15/7/2014Used TT fixed price deal on a Tuesday night. Restaurant lovely & airy & cool on a hot London evening! Service was attentive not pushy, good space between tables and we all had a lovely evening. The food though was delicious, simple combinations but such flavours, done so well. Wine list a little pricey but would recommend, a gem of a bistroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningRhevDined on 14/7/2014Came on a Monday evening and there was a great atmosphere, really busy. The service was welcoming and attentive and the food was delicious. We did dine on the offer with a champagne cocktail which was great value and a good selection of dishes. Would return in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treatKipperDined on 11/7/2014Lovely fresh food,attentive but not over the top waiting staff..bit pricey considering most London restaurants have offers,but worth it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in LondonPaul1VIPDined on 7/7/2014Fabulous, atmospheric taste of France set in a Parisienne brasserie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galvin - a lovely place for a chatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Very much enjoyed our visit to to Galvin Bistrot de Luxe. Was meeting a friend who I hadn't seen for a while and the staff seemed quie good at judging when to leave us alone to chat. The food was excellent as expected and although we had booked a deal (3 courses and a glass of champagne for £25-ish), the deal menu was uninspiring (Satursday 5 July) so we went a la carte. Glad we did as the food was superb. Will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Really good for the set menuNB2898VIPDined on 3/7/2014The A la Carte seems quite pricey but the 3-course set menu offers outstanding value. The food was very god even though the choice was limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutoftenDined on 2/7/2014With the opentable special menu our lunch at Galvin Bistrot was excellent value. Staff were very attentive without being intrusive and we both found food we enjoyed and which tasted delicious. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Good value mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2014Overall a nice experience. We went for the £23 set menu. The food was good value and generally tasty (specially the salmon starter). My girlfriend asked to have a starter from the main menu instead of the set menu which they were happy to do. We were prepared to pay extra for this but when the bill came there was no extra charge which was a very nice gesture If we were to go again we'd probably go for the A la Carte as we got the feeling the food was probably of a slightly lower standard than what they would usually serve but then it was £23 for three courses and a champagne cocktail so we have no complaints! We have tried Cafe a Vin in the past and enjoyed that as well so we are now working our way up to La Chappelle and Windows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SammyDined on 1/7/2014Very good food but the service can be more attentive.Special Features: