Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
66 Baker Street
London, W1U 7DJNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.galvinrestaurants.com/section.php/4/1/galvin_bistrot_de_luxe
- Phone: 02079354007
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar
A word from Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
Marylebone restaurant Galvin Bistrot de Luxe was the first in the hugely successful Galvin stable, and the first to win the Galvin brothers their reputation of outdoing the French at classic bistro cooking. Critics and customers consistently rate the top quality French cuisine and affordable prices - the prixe fixe menus represent particularly good value, especially for this chichi area of London. Chef patron Chris Galvin and head chef Luigi Vespero have created an appealing seasonal menu with plenty of French bistro classics and, along with efficient and professional bow-tied staff, have created a very reliable dining destination you’ll be coming back to again and again. Décor at Galvin Bistrot de Luxe is elegant and pared back – leather banquettes and mahogany panelling line the walls and the atmosphere is always bustling – perfect for enjoying full-flavoured French dishes like crab lasagne, garlicky snails, wonderfully soft braised pork cheeks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Galvin Bistrot de Luxe reviews from OpenTable diners
332 reviews since 6 May 2014
business meals (175)special occasions (143)fit for foodies (137)romance (104)pre/post theatre (75)sunday lunch (49)outstanding value (46)group bookings (30)brunch (19)outdoor eating (16)good vegetarian options (15)disabled access (10)afternoon tea (10)child friendly (8)Show More
- Excellent service, great experienceMagicparkyDined on 22/8/2014We had a relatively quick turnaround time as we were eating pre-theatre. We were on a 'prix fixe' menu, which was very good value. The service was excellent, as was the meal, and the timing was perfect. My girlfriend was very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine French foodLondondinerDined on 21/8/2014Beautifully presented food that tastes just as good. Service is elegant without being pretentious. Lovely evening had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BucksVIPDined on 21/8/2014First time at this restaurant. It an easy ride from Marylebone which is good. A very good meal, good service and lovely place. So many good restaurants that we patronise have closed down and looking for replacements. This is definitely on the list, JWSpecial Features:
- Favourite in LondonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014Love the escargot, steak tartare and specials. Favourite restaurant in London. Excellent wine list tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, amazing valuedocdDined on 19/8/2014I really really enjoyed dinner here. Prix fixe 3 courses and cocktail for £23 is remarkable value. The 475ml carafe of wine is a sensible size and good value. Service couldn't be faulted. I was hugely impressed - and that doesn't happen often!
- Perfect ProfessionalismdelicieuxVIPDined on 16/8/2014Our first visit to Galvin Bistrot de Luxe was for pre-theatre dinner but it certainly won't be the last as we were all very impressed by the ambience, the friendly, helpful and efficient staff and above all the delicious food. We had opted for the fixed price menu deal (3 courses and a Champagne cocktail for £25) and although it wasn't and extensive list (3 dishes for each course), what we had was very well presented, all guests were served simultaneously and it tasted fantastic. This establishment has a very good wine list and we chose a delightful white Cote du Rhone which complemented our food perfectly. All my friends agreed we would definitely return next time we're off to the Regents Park Theatre. Don't miss this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent friday lunchSheltonDined on 15/8/2014Great food, wonderful atmosphere and exceptional service for Friday lunch menu. Great value and included a champagne cocktail. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great food, service and locationSusanDined on 14/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to this Galvin restaurant and the open table deal was excellent value . One criticism - the chicken breast in the coq au vin was dry (the chicken on the bone was perfect). Everything else was absolutely great Will be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt so goodNenetteDined on 13/8/2014We had a very good time at Galvin. The food is simple but very good. The bread and butter are exceptional. The service is incredibly friendly and professional. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- AmazingWELLFEDJLHDined on 12/8/2014We had the set menu which represented fantastic value. We had a choice of 3 things at each course and each was delicious - especially the coq au vin! Great service and lovely French environment. A really great evening with friends - already booked to go back with another set of friends before the offer ends on 31st!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!FoodieDined on 9/8/2014I was an bit uncertain when I booked this place as Baker St didn't seem like a very exciting location. I'm so glad we went. It was truly delightful. The food, the ambience the service was really good. My husband and one of our friends, who ordered the Hake found it too salty and told the waiter. It wasn't a complaint but feedback as it really was too much salt. To the credit of the restaurant, the waiter returned to say he had passed on the comments to the chef which was good.Special Features:
- Reliably enjoyablePitchPerfectPaulDined on 7/8/2014Great restaurant for reliably enjoyable food and wine, and attentive good quality service. This was my third time there, and it's lived up to my expectations each time. Friendly ambience - perfect for meeting friends for lunch, a romantic dinner, or entertaining a few clients.Special Features:
- Good with the TT dealGourmetDined on 4/8/2014Based on the previous reviews, I tried Galvin Bistrot de Luxe for dinner with the TT deal. The food was nice but I hadn't been blown away. In my opinion, some ambiance is lacking.Special Features:
- Very enjoyably al-frescoBombancierDined on 31/7/2014I went there for supper with 2 friends and decided to sample some supper al fresco. The bistrot has 2 outdoor seating areas; 1 at the front on Baker St and another on Dorset St. If you can, I recommend the Dorset St terrace, much quieter and nicer too. My friends and I opted for the set price menu which offers an honourable combination of meat and fish. The dishes were dexterously executed, without any frills of most establishments that are bistrot in name only. The portions were sensible enough to allow diners to enjoy their 3 courses and coffees. (No cries for mercy from these 3 men at a table.) The service was attentive and friendly, with a hint of a French accent. The interior decor is also very apt and suit a tete-a-tete too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "ok" experienceTLCPDined on 16/7/2014The set menu is good value but my main (pollock) was a bit disappointing. The waiting staff was attentive when I first arrived but service was slow later as they didn't seem to notice us.Special Features:
- Great dealPKTEDined on 15/7/2014Used TT fixed price deal on a Tuesday night. Restaurant lovely & airy & cool on a hot London evening! Service was attentive not pushy, good space between tables and we all had a lovely evening. The food though was delicious, simple combinations but such flavours, done so well. Wine list a little pricey but would recommend, a gem of a bistroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningRhevDined on 14/7/2014Came on a Monday evening and there was a great atmosphere, really busy. The service was welcoming and attentive and the food was delicious. We did dine on the offer with a champagne cocktail which was great value and a good selection of dishes. Would return in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treatKipperDined on 11/7/2014Lovely fresh food,attentive but not over the top waiting staff..bit pricey considering most London restaurants have offers,but worth it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in LondonPaul1VIPDined on 7/7/2014Fabulous, atmospheric taste of France set in a Parisienne brasserie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galvin - a lovely place for a chatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Very much enjoyed our visit to to Galvin Bistrot de Luxe. Was meeting a friend who I hadn't seen for a while and the staff seemed quie good at judging when to leave us alone to chat. The food was excellent as expected and although we had booked a deal (3 courses and a glass of champagne for £25-ish), the deal menu was uninspiring (Satursday 5 July) so we went a la carte. Glad we did as the food was superb. Will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Really good for the set menuNB2898VIPDined on 3/7/2014The A la Carte seems quite pricey but the 3-course set menu offers outstanding value. The food was very god even though the choice was limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutoftenDined on 2/7/2014With the opentable special menu our lunch at Galvin Bistrot was excellent value. Staff were very attentive without being intrusive and we both found food we enjoyed and which tasted delicious. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Good value mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2014Overall a nice experience. We went for the £23 set menu. The food was good value and generally tasty (specially the salmon starter). My girlfriend asked to have a starter from the main menu instead of the set menu which they were happy to do. We were prepared to pay extra for this but when the bill came there was no extra charge which was a very nice gesture If we were to go again we'd probably go for the A la Carte as we got the feeling the food was probably of a slightly lower standard than what they would usually serve but then it was £23 for three courses and a champagne cocktail so we have no complaints! We have tried Cafe a Vin in the past and enjoyed that as well so we are now working our way up to La Chappelle and Windows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SammyDined on 1/7/2014Very good food but the service can be more attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/6/2014Food excellent, service very good.....but tables too close together therefore not a relaxing evening as couples arguing on adjacent tables....!Special Features:
- Galvin, and old favorite2profsDined on 24/6/2014My wife and I always go to Galvin, at least once often twice, when we are in London. It is consistently excellent in every respect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticKramjazzDined on 21/6/2014I took my wife for her birthday' the food and service are amazing.Special Features:
- A good night out with a Friend...lov2dineDined on 20/6/2014Galvin Bistrot is a lovely restaurant and great atmosphere As for being French I wouldn't say it was real French food, that's just my own opinion.., It's friendly and buzzing, the staff are attentive most of the time and a few members of staff were very knowledgeable . The only disappointment was we booked using top table and wasn't told from which menu we had to choose from, was just shown to our table and asked if we would like to order our drinks... after several attempts of asking finally was brought the right menu.. It would have been nice if the waiter explain what was on the menu, not every one speak French or understands..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GalvinGreedyVIPDined on 20/6/2014Attractive décor and attentive staff. Food well flavoured and presented. The dining offer was exceptional value.Special Features:
- Great quality if only over pricedPetrDined on 19/6/2014Had a great dinner with friends - loved calf liver - great choice of wine even though food feels a bit overpriced. Great service.Special Features:
- Not the best Galvin restaurantAlisonDined on 18/6/2014Maybe because we used the 3 courses for £23 deal, but I felt the quality was not as high as Galvin La Chapelle.Special Features:
- Really good.PrpswDined on 17/6/2014Really good food and service, will go again, great location for Marylebone.Special Features:
- Good experience, nice ambienceElevensesattiffanysDined on 17/6/2014Service staff friendly and helpful, very nice decor, comfortable, not too formal and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galvin Bistrot de luxe was great!FoodloverDined on 17/6/2014We went on the special offer of 3 courses and a cocktail for £23 which was fantastic value. Great quality food, lovely service, amazing value.Special Features:
- A run-of-the-mill dayGreedyGutsDined on 17/6/2014Having been immensely impressed by Galvin La Chapelle some years ago, I was expecting great things from Galvin Bistrot. In the event, the set lunch was extremely average, standard-issue and unremarkable. A totally unmemorable experience - indeed I'd be hard pressed to even remember what was on the menu!Special Features:
- DisapointingLadywhobrunchesVIPDined on 10/6/2014After having enjoyed meals at other Galvin's establishments, I was very much looking forward to trying Bistrot de Luxe. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the quality of the food. My friend and I both had the set menu and none of the food was unremarkable and bland. All the ingredients seems to be cheap, and the menu seemed to be designed to get the maximum value (for the restaurant) out of the £23 price. We were overall very disappointed. When we were asked if we had enjoyed our desserts, my friend replied that her Tarte Tartan was burned (which it was) and we were informed that the dish was meant to be caramelised and the plates were removed without further comment. Would not return; would not recommend.Special Features:
- Great deal!AnnieDined on 6/6/2014I booked the open table deal-3 courses and an aperitif. The aperitif was delicious- white port and tonic water with lemon. Staff could not have been friendlier. The choice is limited but very good value for money. We both started with smoked salmon with dill, creme fraiche and caviar. It was delicious and the portions were large. I went for the cod and my friend the pork for main. Both dishes were very tasty. To finish we had a lovely chocolate dessert. Excellent value! Will return.Special Features:
- France in Baker StreetPJJWDined on 5/6/2014Lovely French Bistro with a good choice in a changing menu. Wine list concentrates on French but advice available. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Lovely ServiceSmarterKenDined on 3/6/2014From the moment you walk in to the minute you leave, your are pleasantly cosseted in great service. Nothing is too much trouble and someone is always watching to see if you need anything. Very relaxed and informal too!Special Features:
- Great food as alwaysRichahDined on 2/6/2014Great food and wine at a reasonable price for the qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.