38 Holly Grove
London, SE15 5DFNeighborhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ganapatirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 02072772928
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 6:00pm -11:30pm; Open for lunch and dinner Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South Indian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Claire Fisher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Ganapati Outside Catering To date, Ganapati has catered for a number of weddings, private dinner parties, house parties and work conferences.
A word from Ganapati Restaurant
The kitchen is the soul of a restaurant as it is of a home, providing warmth, nourishment and evocative smells. An air of expectancy surrounds the kitchen as the work of the day begins. It is a place of hard work, companionship and great rewards, and most importantly, it brings people together to feast on the results. Ganapati is the south Indian name for the elephant-headed god Ganesh. He is the well-loved remover of obstacles, with a particular fondness for sweets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Value
Ganapati Restaurant - Best restaurants in Peckham ›
Ganapati Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since 21 May 2014
good vegetarian options (165)fit for foodies (140)special occasions (63)group bookings (50)outstanding value (44)romance (41)sunday lunch (25)child friendly (20)outdoor eating (16)pre/post theatre (7)disabled access (6)brunch (6)business meals (6)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- TerrificTheDinerDined on 10/9/2014Delicious food, lovely atmosphere. Start your meal with an aperitif - the Ganapati elixir is delicious.Special Features:
- Yummy scrummyhappymummyDined on 6/9/2014We'd be wanting to go here for 5 years but never managed to book in time (always busy) - was it worth the wait. Yes! Yummy yummy. Food was fab, esp the paratha which I could eat 10 of, setting beautiful, comfortable, inviting, unpretentious, staff were really friendly and v knowledgeable.... all in all a definite and surely to become a regular treat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste sensationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/9/2014Have wanted to come for years and having been to Kerala several times I had an idea what Keralan food tastes like. Well after 1 mouthful I was transported back to my holiday there. A must for anyone who likes Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ganapati - the right diet for Life!Honey4DaisybeeDined on 30/8/2014I absolutely love the imaginative variety of authentic and tasty South Indian dishes offered on the menus at Ganapati Restaurant and takeaway kitchen. Also, the friendly service both at Ganapati restaurant in Holly Grove and the additional takeaway kitchen at Maxted Road is simply quite exceptional. Finances permitting, I'd have a takeaway everyday from Ganapati :-) For me, it's the ideal soul food and diet my mind, body and spirit needs, during chemo for cancer. Jai Ganapati and OM SHANTI !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the bestnicknamesareforchildrenDined on 23/8/2014Ganapati remains one of my favourite places to eat. A cosy room with lovely staff but most importantly well cooked, properly spicy, fresh southern Indian food, plus imaginatively chosen drinks.Special Features:
- LuckyBrixtonDined on 22/8/2014WE dined at Ganapati on Friday evening,the food was amazing,with little touches like homemade chutneys rather than from a catering jar,the staff were nice and knowledgable.Maybe a better choice of Beers rather than just from Meantime...but thats just nit picking.We will be back again to explore more of the menu.Special Features:
- BrilliantJamesDined on 19/8/2014Don't go expecting a run of the mill Indian restaurant. Ganapati is nothing of the sort. From the delicious pickles and chutneys to the unusual ice creams (strawberry/peach/dark chocolate/blackpeppercorn, anyone?) you can't fail to be won over by this local gem.Special Features:
- Lovely food, friendly staffJennyMDined on 12/8/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at Ganapati. The 'mini' massala dosa certainly wasn't small! It was delicately spiced and tasty. It came with sambar and coconut, and another tomato-based sauce that I couldn't identify but tasted great. My main was a generous portion of the lamb dish, which was good if not quite as flavourful as the starter. I had a nice cocktail to start. They offer tap water freely and top up throughout the meal, which is a nice touch. I don't like the hard sell on bottled water that I get at many restaurants! It wasn't the cheapest meal but moderately priced, and perfectly reasonable for a well-prepared dinner with quality, fresh ingredients. Nice job Ganapati, I'll be back!Special Features:
- delicious foodjojoDined on 6/8/2014interesting menu and very tasty food. would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great South Indian ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014I have always had a great meal here, they change their menu regularly and its my 15 year old sons favourite restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so authentic after all....MalarDined on 5/8/2014Better spend a few extra quid taking the tube to eat at Saravana Bhavan for a more authentic South Indian thali experience. I was served tomato rice with my thali to eat with sambhar, rasam, daal, etc. when in pointed out that these dishes are eaten with plain rice, the waitress was precocious enough to tell me this is way they do it. I asked for a replacement of plain rice and was promptly charged extra for it!
- FantasticHLFoodDined on 2/8/2014We live a few doors down from Ganapati but had never been until the other night! Food was fantastic, we will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As ever... just delicious...fattmoneyDined on 1/8/2014i am a regular visitor, but i'm not bias, the foord is different and delicious all the timeSpecial Features:
- Outstanding as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/7/2014This is by far the best Indian restaurant in southeast London and we have to keep going back for more, even though it is a bit out of the way for us.Special Features:
- Gem of a restaurantrwatsDined on 26/7/2014Ganapati has some of the best Indian food you will find in London. Plenty of authentic dishes and some of their own takes on the food style. Having been a number of times the food is always to a great standard. Service is good. Always busy, be sure to book well in advance for Friday/Saturday and evening slots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ganapati Restaurant, Peckham RyeKS921Dined on 26/7/2014A trendy little restaurant, with a laid back atmosphere and excellent Indian food. The staff were a little opinionated/unfriendly... in a trendy sort of way! But great, great food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a favouritesazzDined on 24/7/2014Been coming here for years. Always good food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualPhoebeAnnaDined on 23/7/2014Always great food for both veggies and meat eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ganapati so worth a visitMonchaDined on 23/7/2014Went to Ganapati for the first time and will definitely come back. The food was very tasty, great vegetarian options and the ambience was lovely too! Def come back to try one of the other vegetarian dishes!Special Features:
- Hotter than Goa!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 18/7/2014Great food as ever; but for the hottest days of the year a fan - at least in the back section of the restaurant - is badly needed. Sweltering!
- Perfect spot for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Beautiful homemade style southern Indian food. Lunch deals excellent value. .. lovely staff and really passionate about cooking top notch indian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Southern Indian foodb3020Dined on 9/7/2014This was our first visit to Ganapati and it certainly won't be our last. The food was exemplary and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We loved it and can't wait to go back. Our fingers are also poised to ring for a takeaway too! First class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FHKTDined on 9/7/2014Well balanced menu, delicious food and excellent service plus a very pleasant and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place to eat in Peckham!CattyDined on 4/7/2014Lovely little restaurant in Pecks. Lovely twist on Indian cuisine. Great food & ambience. Good value for money.Special Features:
- disappointingmouseybitesDined on 3/7/2014To be honest I was disappointed - ate there many moons ago and it was truly memorable. But this time I felt all the food was just too spicey and we had to request raita to cool us down. Also felt that at these prices the meat dishes should have come automatically with a vegetable accompaniment and chutneys. The masal dosa starter was delicious though, so it's probably better to stick with the vegetarian options, as befits a south Indian restaurant. I found it pretty expensive for what it was, and had forgotten that it is so small and are packed in. And it's a shame there are none of the delicious Indian lagers are on offer - only pale ales.Special Features:
- local restaurant with a differencehellsbellsDined on 2/7/2014Lovely little restaurant that's brightly painted and cheerful. Staff were helpful and polite and service was quick. They have a range of unusual aperitifs on the menu. I tried one which included a ginger spirit - delicious. The menu was larger than I expected and had a good range of Southern based Indian dishes including snacks and lighter meals such as dosas but also full thalis. I chose a fish curry which was beautifully cooked and light and refreshing. Wish we'd had room for desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious every timeMishMishDined on 27/6/2014Fresh South Indian spicing applied with an intensity and vigour at odds with the relaxed atmosphere at this chilled and well run eatery. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeckhamiteDined on 27/6/2014Excellent, as ever. I was among its first customers. It has since become deservedly popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Curry in London!BeansDined on 25/6/2014Ganapati is possibly my favourite London restaurant, certainly my favourite one in South East. I always take visiting friends & family. The food is absolutely delicious! The staff are always friendly & welcoming & I love the ambience. I only wish they were open 7 days a week! I am so pleased that they now offer a delivery service. Can't get enough of that crispy paratha & that gorgeous dahl!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMikeDined on 20/6/2014Absolutely great menu, was unfamiliar with a few dishes offered within the South Indian cuisin. This was a perfect introduction. Try the Kampala bread, fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 18/6/2014Ganapati's never fails to impress me, great fresh south indian food. The Paratha's are amazing!!! Staff are great and friendly and I always leave with the most satisfied belly!!Special Features:
- Lovely restauranttrixDined on 15/6/2014Just charming, lovely food -- the sauces really summoned up south India. Wish wine could be a little cheaper -- it would probably encourage more people to order bottles.Special Features:
- Lunch at GanapatifoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014This little enclave of South India remains a hidden gem in urban Peckham. Go there for the sensationally good masala dosa, the mini-thalis for a taste of everything delicious and the parathas are unmissable.Special Features:
- Dine in style!Evansstag2014Dined on 6/6/2014A superb restaurant with an excellent quality of Southern Indian food. The staff were very accommodating and looked after the entire group. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough, a great experience so make your booking now!Special Features:
- Always yummymashdezDined on 5/6/2014One of the very best authentic South Indian food places in London.Special Features:
- Delicious food!AnitaDined on 1/6/2014Ganapati was recommended by a foodie friend so we knew it'd be good! But we didn't expect it to be soooo good! It looks really cute from outside, very colorful, clean but inside a bit small and they sat us at a large table with other people (not that we minded). The menu was very interesting, I had duck curry with tamarind sauce and coconut pieces, absolutely divine!! It is pricey, £45 for 2 mains, 1 side and 2 soft drinks, but worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peckham delightswest21Dined on 14/5/2014I've paid a few visits to Ganapati over the years and it never disappoints. Deciding which dish to pick is always hard as there are so many delicious choices to tempt. The food part from tasting delicious also is very fresh and unlike some Indian restaurants tastes nutritious and healthy too. Whenever I've been to the restaurant they are always busy, that confirms their success, so would recommend booking. They have also recently opened a take-away close by that I am looking forward to sampling soon.Special Features:
- As always, great foodmmvvDined on 13/5/2014Booked for lunch and of only did we have a fantastic meal, but the service was great. Eaten here before so not surprise by price, but woth mentioning it's a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastySc12Dined on 9/5/2014An interesting menu andvery tasty food. We went on a Friday night and it was busy, a lively atmosphere andfriendly service. Definitely worth a visit and worth trying out the startersI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous & FragrantFrangipaniVIPDined on 6/5/2014Took the parents mid week for another slice of authentic Southern Indian cuisine. Chicken, lamb and veg dishes were all beautiful. I had the Ganapati Thali which was a delight and a worthy replacement to the Mahatma thali. Service was friendly and efficient. The place smelt great (as always). We sat inside but for outside dining the 'glass box' is back in use. Go for authentic, light, spicy and fragrant Southern Indian. Don't go for a Friday night curry post pub session.Special Features: