84 - 86 Albion Street
Glasgow, G1 1NYNeighbourhood:
SeafoodPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafegandolfi.com/
- Phone: 01415529475x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jamie MacDonald
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The whole of Gandolfi Fish may be booked out for private parties, weddings, engagements or birthdays. To discuss availability and menus please call the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Parker 0141 552 9475x
- Entertainment: We hold regular food and wine pairings, matching different courses with individually chosen wines, please look at our website www.cafegandolfi.com (select Gandolfi Fish from the home page) for more details.
- Public Transit: 5 minute walk from High street train station.
Argyle street is one of Glasgow's main thoroughfares and the restaurant is a 2 minute walk up Albion street.
As Argyle street is a main road it is very well served by numerous busses.
St Enochs underground station is 15 minute walk away and Argyle street train station is 10 minutes away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is free after 6pm and metered before in bays outside the restaurant, there is also a car park across the road which holds approx. 100 cars and is also metered.
A word from Gandolfi Fish
Seumas had often dreamt of opening a fish restaurant and in June 2007 that was exactly what he did. The doors of Gandolfi Fish opened to a warm welcome from Glasgow's foodies who were eager to taste the delights from this sleek new arrival to the Merchant City. Gandolfi Fish features as one of Ron Mackenna's top 25 Scottish restaurants (The Herald) and has once again made the grade and been Hitlisted by The List. There's a simple elegance to the food, complemented by clean, modern lines and floor-to ceiling windows that allow diners to watch the Merchant City go by. Smart and comfortable, Gandolfi Fish will suit anyone who enjoys the fruits of the sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gandolfi Fish reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since 2 June 2014
fit for foodies (62)special occasions (53)pre/post theatre (46)business meals (33)romance (29)sunday lunch (18)outstanding value (13)group bookings (10)disabled access (6)brunch (4)outdoor eating (2)good vegetarian options (2)child friendly (2)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Acoustics awful, food greatJeanDined on 19/9/2014The food was wonderful, with a good range on the menu to suit all preferences - although all fish of course. The acoustics were appauling and I spent much of the meal having to raise my voice to be heard or leaning into my companions to hear what they were saying. In need of urgent improvement.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodCeeJayDined on 19/9/2014A lovely, lovely evening. A small intimate restaurant with excellent food, helpful and attentive staff and a wine list to die for. Wine that is sold by the glass can be tasted first, so it's a bit like having your own private tasting session. The food was very well prepared, tasty and we were very pleased with our choices. The staff were very attentive and offered suggestions that were helpful, such as explaining whether food was served with or without vegetables. Would highly recommend this restaurant. It was our first visit, but it will not be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superbColinDined on 18/9/2014This is a top fish restaurant. The quality is always good. The service friendly. And ideally placed to enjoy Glasgow before and after your meal.Special Features:
- DisappointingLuigiDined on 6/9/2014After reading some very good reviews and looking forward to lunch at Gandolfi Fish we were disappointed with the meal. My starter of Stornoway Black Pudding & Smoked Venison was poor. The black pudding was over cooked and very dry. We ordered chunky chips with our main meal which were not served at the same time and when served were very under cooked. Staff were quick to replace and the cost was deducted from the bill without asking. Also, my partner ordered the cod which we were advised would be replaced by halibut however we were not told of the £5.50 increase at the time of ordering. This was highlighted to staff upon receipt of the bill. They apologised for the confusion and amended accordingly. Unfortunately, we would not rush back.
- Middle of the road.CorkljcDined on 5/9/2014Had heard great things about GF, but it didn't meet expectations. We waited 50 mins for our starter, and were met with a mere "sorry for the wee wait". To be fair, the Arbroath Smokies were delicious. For mains my partner had sea bass which was also very good, but my langoustines were overcooked and poorly presented.THere wasn't much meat, and they were served with salsa verde, a few leaves and chips. A poor show for 20GBP. We didn't bother with dessert and wouldn't return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Our table was booked for 7.45 and after waiting 30 minutes we had to ask for them to take our order which i thought was very poor. Following on from this we waiting a futher 30 minutes for our starter and by the time our main course came it was very late around 9.30pm and by that time i had lost my appetitie. The staff were friendly but the waiting time wasnt acceptable. This was a sprecial treat for my husband which we had paid for a babysitter for the occasion and thought we would try here as had never got round to going before now.
- relaxed diningGordonDined on 3/9/2014It is not too often that the wine list matches the dinner menu. In Gandolphi Fish it does.I would recommend this to a friend.
- That was the best...SnapshottsDined on 23/8/2014I used the above title because I heard it more than a few times during my recent visit to Gandolfi Fish. The food, the wine, the service were all great. You very much get what you pay for in this terrific restaurant. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tastyJennieDDined on 16/8/2014I love coming here for a relaxed dinner. The food is always fantastic, with some interesting choices as well as more traditional options. If you love fish and seafood, this is definitely a place to visit. Its very friendly as well, not hurried, but still feels efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stars say it allJaimedosDined on 15/8/2014Excellent food and service. Highly recommended. Not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABrown68Dined on 7/8/2014First time visitor to Gandolfi Fish, will not be that last as throughly enjoyed our evening. Food and Service was splendid - just as it should be everywhere but not always the case. If you have not been then give it a go.Special Features:
- FabulousMrspDined on 2/8/2014Scallops were fab I had them with black pud for starter and hubby had them as a main .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysLoveditDined on 2/8/2014Not eaten in Gandolfi Fish for over a year but it was excellent as always - would highly recommend their cocktails. The Parma Violet martini, Hendricks Bramble and Expresso martini were all lovely. Oh and the food was excellent too!Special Features:
- gandolfi fishrudi2shoesluvsfoodDined on 1/8/2014One of our fave places to go in glasgow . Great food and atmosphere . Relaxed and friendly attentive staff . Carly always makes us feel welcome.Special Features:
- Great for Allergy SufferersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014We went to Gandolfi Fish as it was our Wedding Anniversary, and we had a great time. I have unusual food allergies but they were handled brilliantly; at no time did I feel I was "causing hassle" or was a "difficult customer" and that made such a difference to our evening. The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and efficient.. We were there on a Friday night during the Commonwealth Games and the town was jumping, but despite being so busy the staff still had time for their customers. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great food as usual !GlasgowNoshDined on 28/7/2014Great, fresh food as usual from Gandolfi Fish. Friendly service. Good value. A Glasgow favourite !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bandaDined on 28/7/2014Friendly and helpful service in very comfortable surroundings. We enjoyed an excellent meal after a fantastic day at the Games.I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmonidDined on 26/7/2014On an extremely busy night during The Commonwealth Games, the restaurant was buzzing and the quality of the food and the service provided was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish & Chips at Gandolfi FishDougieMckgrubDined on 25/7/2014Booked Gandolfi fish because of proximity to Glasgow City Halls. Would recommend Gandolfi fish to any lovers of seafood. We had the basic battered haddock, chips and peas, all were excellent. Service was also good with very friendly waitress in attendance. Only criticism was price, even for a city centre restaurant I thought the meals were a bit pricey as were the drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fish....iainwishDined on 20/7/2014The fixed lunch menu was good value and service was friendly. sad there were less than 10 covers on a Sunday for a place of this quality.Special Features:
- Amazing cuisine!FussyEaterDined on 19/7/2014I booked this restaurant for my partner's birthday as a pre-theatre meal and on the recommendation of a friend. As a very fussy eater who is semi-vegetarian (eat chicken and some fish), I thought I may struggle a little with the menu choices, but I was genuinely delighted with the wise choice as well as the different options for set pre-theatre dinners. I opted for the vegetable tempura with chilli dip as a starter and the breaded sole with jersey royals which was a special as a main, and it was the most delicious fish I've ever eaten. My partner had the monkfish skewers and half lobster - all of it was very delicately cooked and just enough seasoning, all in all a very good meal. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ace FoodCpldocDined on 16/7/2014The food in this restaurant is absolutely amazing, especially if you're a lover of fish, and, if not, there is also a steak available. The service is second to none, they just cant do enough for you. I would recommend Gandolfi Fish to anyone, as, this is our second visit there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luap58Dined on 12/7/2014Have eaten at Gandolfi Fish before . This time I felt rushed to our table and the welcome was a little off hand and too casual . Having said that the service was fine but it might work a little better if one waiter took control , we were asked 3 times if we want to order drinks by 3 different people and served by 3 different people . Overall a good experience but not special .
- 1st time @ cafe gandolfiHappyCoupleDined on 12/7/2014This was a 1st time visit to cafe gandolfi, special occassion for my wife's 30th. the food was fantastic, service was great, the staff were very attentive and prompt with food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDAVIDDined on 11/7/2014Table booked at 9.00pm and as it was a quiet night, they wanted rid of us after 11.00pm. Asked several times if 'we were finished with our cheeseboard, which we were clearly not and empty wine glass removed from my dining companion without being offered another. Baked alaska desert served cold from fridge...hardly what you expect at the price. All in all a bif disappointment.
- Sadly did not meet expectationsRayogiDined on 10/7/2014When we come to Glasgow we like to come to book at least one visit to one of the two Gandolfi restaurant. Sadly on this particular visit the food and service was average for all three courses. This was very disappointing has in the past we have had both excellent food and service. Hopefully will improve on our next visit.
- Excellent experienceCpldocDined on 5/7/2014The wine list is amazing, and, excellent quality. The food is out of this world. The service is so friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early evening mealJSW1Dined on 26/5/2014Courteous, attentive service with good quality food well presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Business LunchBalachUibhistDined on 21/5/2014Great venue for a business lunch, open contemporary restaurant, just enough attention from the staff, quick and efficient service, no negativesSpecial Features:
- Outstanding service, very good foodmikeysozDined on 18/5/2014The hosts and service staff were extremely accommodating and kind. The food very good, although the chips were disappointing as they're frozen/oven chips that are deep fried instead of real potato. Oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingDeeMDined on 15/5/2014Given the fact that this is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Glasgow, we found the food bland, old fashioned and lacking in creativity. Nothing wrong with it, really, but for the price, I was hoping for something a bit more memorable. It reminded me of high quality hotel food from back when I was a teenager, in the 1980s. Butter and cream were ubiquitous. I'd recommend this place for those who are cautious about new flavours or for work groups where some of the people are moving out of their comfort zone if the fish isn't deep fried.Special Features:
- Love the foodKrischimDined on 20/4/2014The food was really lovely. Even a simple fish and chips has been turned in something really special. The glass of champagne rose was lovely and the selection great. Only downside was the very empty locale but I think it was down to the day as most people were off for the long weekend. The staff still made us feel very welcomed!Special Features:
- Not a patch on the CrabshakkJimmyF01Dined on 19/4/2014The food was pretty average for what they charge. We were disappointed with the sharing platter for two at £20, no clams, no mussels and no crab, just some langoustines, prawns And scallops with salad, nope not worth it. The main dishes were much better but my wife chose haddock which she said was greasy . Paper napkins you need to request at this level is poor I am afraidSpecial Features:
- Gandolfi fishwelikeourgrubDined on 19/4/2014As name suggests fish is featured highly! Pre theatre is good value at £15.99 for 2 courses and £17.99 for 3 courses. As a family with teenagers the only obvious for them was the tomato and basil soup followed by fish and chips. Fish was nice but batter a bit too heavy. Overall nice experience, lots of wine and beer to choose from. Service could be more attentive!Special Features:
- I have a gluten intolerancePickyeaterDined on 12/4/2014I have a gluten intolerance and am always wary about trying new restaurants but I need not have worried. They were very helpful and made sure what I ordered was gluten free even providing GF oatcakes instead of bread. Our food was excellently prepared, beautifully fresh and most enjoyable. The staff were very welcoming and unobtrusively attentive. The next time we are in Glasgow we will definitely go back and will have no hesitation in recommending the restaurant to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, but short staffedBiscuitDined on 8/4/2014Pre theatre on a Tuesday night. Both starters were delicious - some of the best muscles we've had - and the mains were excellent too. Appealing range of wines by the glass. Only downside was that the two serving staff seemed a bit swamped. It was hard to catch their attention, and on one occasion our request was forgotten for several minutes. As a result we ran out of time to order any dessert. Hopefully just a glitch, as we'd like to try again...
- Left HungryUnhappyDined on 8/4/2014I had been to Gandolfi Fish for lunch in the past and had enjoyed it, however having tried it for an evening meal, I was very disappointed to find that having ordered the Fishcake £14, that was it in fact, just that, a single Fishcake with a slice of lemon and a little pot of garnish. At the time of ordering, there was no mention of any additional extras, therefore I assumed that it came with, perhaps a few small potatoes. A very expensive Fishcake.
- Lovely birthday mealFishfanDined on 6/4/2014We have been to Gandolfi Fish many times and it is always top notch - the food is fantastic and the staff are laid back but attentive at the same time. The ambience is just right, music not too loud (for us oldies!) and nice jazz. Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More please!RLN1Dined on 6/4/2014Excellent meal nicely served but slightly expensive overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreshLisanDaveDined on 5/4/2014Our meal at Gandolfi was superb. A lovely selection of fish and shellfish. In particular the langoustines were delightful. The waitress was able to tell us where they came from in Scotland and that they had arrived that morning... you can't get any fresher. We also liked the way the chef chose things to accompany the fish. The venison with the scallops was genius. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.