29 Westferry Circus
London, E14 8RRNeighbourhood:
SteakPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079879494
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steak
- Executive Chef: Mike Reid
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gaucho Canary
At Canary Wharf we boast a stunning 164 seat restaurant with river views. Raised level seating overlooks our welcoming cocktail lounge. Private hire is available.Continued
In the warmer months we have an additional 150 seats on our Thames side terrace.
We offer a Sommelier service on most weeknights -our Sommelier can also be booked upon request.
In the warmer months we have an additional 150 seats on our Thames side terrace.
We offer a Sommelier service on most weeknights -our Sommelier can also be booked upon request.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Gaucho Canary - Best restaurants in Canary Wharf ›
Gaucho Canary reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since 2 June 2014
special occasions (187)business meals (152)romance (117)outdoor eating (96)fit for foodies (82)group bookings (64)sunday lunch (25)pre/post theatre (24)brunch (14)child friendly (11)outstanding value (9)disabled access (8)afternoon tea (4)good vegetarian options (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/9/2014Had the chateaubriand which was good quality although we both felt a little too salty. I go to gaucho from time to time whenever I want a good steak, although am always surprised at how expensive it is. The ambience is good but too dark to be able to read a menu. Have to use the light on my phone, as did other diners. Overall, no serous criticisms. But not wowed eitherI would recommend this to a friend.
- more like a club that serves foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 20/9/2014Went to this restaurant on a saturday evening to give it a try. The food is ok, but my Wife's Fillet Steak was quite tough, which seriously should not be the case with a good fillet. We were also seated right in front of the wine racks and next to the till (about 2 feet away) so you can imagine that our meal was disturbed quite a bit by waiters trying to get wine and also by waiters loitering around the till having a chat. The ambience was more like a nightclub or trendy wine bar that served food as the music was very loud and clubby. I doubt I would return to this specific reataurant but I might give a different branch a try to see if it is any better.Special Features:
- Good Anniversary dinnerTravelsmartieDined on 20/9/2014When little ones come along and eating out alone as a couple again becomes a real luxury, then you want a place that's going to make the experience worthwhile. Gaucho's Canary did that for us. Great attentive service, good food. Pricey, so not somewhere I'd go often but an overall pleasant experience. My only other comment would be that it was a little noisy.Special Features:
- Not impressedanonymousDined on 14/9/2014The wait staff seemed not to pay much attention to us. While others were shown different cuts of meats, we had to wait good 15 minutes to just order our drinks. Staff were busy rearranging tables. Only when our waitress saw the tip, she began being interested. Too little too late.Special Features:
- Bad nightAlexDined on 13/9/2014Took ages to get menus. Very slow service. Bread was rock hard. Asked for medium steak and got well done. Had to repeatedly order drinks as waiters kept forgetting to enter them in the system. Had better nights here so perhaps a one off?Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration50thBirthdayDined on 6/9/2014Celebrated my husbands 50th here on Saturday night the service when we arrived was excellent just a shame we lost the same service once we sat down. Could not fault the food which was top class and would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Lovely eveningAnniversaryDined on 6/9/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening at the Gaucho Canary Wharf. Onarrival we were offered an inside or outsdie table & pre-meal drinks on one of their comfortable sofas. At no time did we feel rushed or under preossure to vacate our table. The staff were fantastic and remebered from our booking notes my wife was Gulten intolerant, to the point the waitress had discussed with the chef a particular menu she could have. Complimentry river clipper tickets were a lovely suprises and finished off our evening perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Literally the best steak I've ever eaten, been here a couple of times now and all of the food has been perfect. The staff are well educated in regards to the steaks and are helpful and friendly. I was sitting outside and it started to get chilly so they offered me a blanket! Also the cocktails are amazing and so is the ambience of the restaurant. Would 100% recommend.Special Features:
- Great food but.....HoppoDined on 4/9/2014I have been going to Gaucho for many years and it remains a great restaurant. The service on this visit was really good too. The Entraña Fina was superb. However, the price of wine seems very high with nothing on offer under £55, unlike the internet wine list.Special Features:
- So soLoveGrubbDined on 31/8/2014Does what it says on the tin in that it has good quality meat that is well cooked. But for the price we paid (£120 for 2 with 1 shared starter, no desert and no drinks) I expected a lot more in the way of ambience and service.Special Features:
- ServiceMrsaidiDined on 30/8/2014Service was as outstanding as the Meal. Visit this Restaurant quit often an always seems to be getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedScottyDined on 30/8/2014This is essentially a steak and chips restaurant which would be great if it wasn't so vastly overpriced. The wine list is astronomical with a very ordinary, basic shiraz being £35. The wine waiters also 'hover' constantly and pour wine and water every few minutes which is extremely irritating, not to mention very pushy, as they try to get you to buy more drinks. The steaks themselves are by and large very good and the sweet potato chips and other veg likewise, but again spoiled by being so overpriced. There are a large amount of restaurants in the area, most of them good. Try one of the others.
- Great steakMrRGDined on 29/8/2014Good meal with great service. Good selection of wine to compliment their steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 25/8/2014The food, wine and service were outstanding. Highly recommend the Gaucho burger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 23/8/2014Outstanding food, cocktails and service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Lovely food and serviceOlgaDined on 15/8/2014Great location - amazing river view. Nice interior. Great service starting from warm welcome from receptionist lady, ending with prompt and friendly service from our waiter Norah and the crew. Loved the "steaks presentation" - each kind of steak they had on menu was presented on the board with cooking recommendations and best sauces. So everyone in our company of 6 could choose the right one. Nice wine and sides. Steaks were just GREAT! A bit expensive, however i would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday MealPriscillaDined on 15/8/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant, the décor is lovely,the music was good which helped create a great ambience. The service was very good we had a very helpful waitress, and when she got held up with other customers, we were served by the manager (I think) he too was very helpful. The food was I thought exemplary, my steak was excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful, my daughter who is vegetarian enjoyed her meal too.. The only downside if you could call it one was the food came too quickly, we had not finished our cocktails when the food arrived. I will definitely be going back for more of the same...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoonrooDined on 15/8/2014A little expensive but for a celebration well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutLcblakerDined on 9/8/2014Service impeccable. We started outside overlooking the river but got too cold. Staff were very accommodating & found us a table inside. Sadly the ambience inside is very different as the tables are cms apart. We had the special starter lobster and tuna which were ok but nothing at all special ...plus the scallops. Again ok but nothing to write home about. And these dishes were certainly not worth £17.50. The steaks were good as always and although they brought the wrong sauce they quickly rectified it. We had sides of chips and tomato salad. Both good. Chips cooked really nicely. Pudding for me was atrocious. Again recommended as the special - Cooking chocolate and grainy ice cream.Special Features:
- Good but not greatdaveDined on 8/8/2014We had steak - which was well cooked (as always) but the starter and desserts were lackluster and unexciting and somewhat lacking in taste. For a meal that came in at around £200.00+ for two, this was below expectations. Service was very good however.Special Features:
- Steak Lovers HeavenMissFussyDined on 7/8/2014I'm pretty unadventurous when it comes Restaurants that specialise in steak... it has to be cooked to perfection and it has to be tender i.e. you could slice any cut of meat with a butter knife! I've found my steak heaven and tend to go back on a regular basis as I know what I'm going to get and I know it's going to be delicious. I have always found the service to be exceptional too.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningAPSJooDined on 28/7/2014I took my daughter here for a special meal, service friendly, knowledgable and steaks extra special. Drinks needed careful selection as somewhat expensive as would have liked a few more! Great place to impress your guest(s) Pre booked and liked polite email/text reminders and option to change dates times easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakLNA1975Dined on 26/7/2014The quality of the steak was really high and there was a great selection of sides and sauces. If you're not a fan of steak there are other choices too but steak is the main focus. Given that, it is a bit pricey especially as you have to order all sides separately. Would thoroughly recommend it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Family MealBerryDined on 23/7/2014Having visited Gaucho's around the UK, this family meal disappointed. The service was fast, possibly too fast, although being Canary Wharf they may think people want to go home. Our order was wrong which resulted in one of our party eating when everyone else had finished. The food had good texture and flavour, but was barely warm. Sadly on this occasion we did not receive value for money.
- AmazingRSK86Dined on 20/7/2014I went for a nice romantic meal with my girlfriend and neither the food or the ambience disappointed. Amazing service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration mealJoJayDined on 20/7/2014We had a meal to celebrate our daughters graduation and wanted something special . We were not disappointed we had a party of 5 and everyone left saying it was the best steak we had ever tasted , we did wonder why steak knives were not provided but on eating the steak we realised they were not needed as it was so tender . The service we received was second to none and the ambience was wonderful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 20/7/2014It was very nice. The Don Pedro was especially good.Special Features:
- Spoiled for steakEROSDined on 18/7/2014Gaucho always does good steak, and especially the marinades which you don't find in some other steak restaurants. Great service, waiter knew the wine list well and was ready to make recommendations. A blip with the timing of desserts though. Lovely table by the river. I'd like to see some of the options available in smaller sizes, but takeaway boxes were offered. My veggie friend quite likes Gaucho. Although it specialises in steak, she reasons that means they have to go to some effort to attract parties with veggies in them. Their two vegetarian options are very tasty, and they have a lot of delicious vegetarian sides. Don't be put off by the sweet potatoes coming with chorizo either, they'll remove it or put it on the side for you.Special Features:
- Freezy1986Dined on 18/7/2014Went went my boyfriend and we were greeted by I very nice guy who asked where we would like to sit and we picked a table outside. Not long after out waitress turned up with menus and told us about their daily specials. Both me and my boyfriend went with the specials for the starters, tuna carpaccio and calamari with aoli, both were very good. The waitress then showed us the steaks and recommended the rib eye so we went with it and weren't disappointed. The meat was fantastic! Going to a steak restaurant you expect the meat the be very good, but I must say the sides were just as good! We had potatoes, sweet potatoes and broccolli and everything was perfectly cooked. Can't complain about the atmosphere either, we had a lovely time.Special Features:
- Fantastic SettingLoveFoodDined on 18/7/2014We went for a late lunch here on a very hot afternoon. We arrived early and sat on the sofas with a pre lunch cocktail, watching the world go by on the river. Our table was right on the river front, which, although outside, is covered with a canopy of trees, which was gorgeous in the very hot weather, and created a lovely atmosphere. Being a later lunch (3pm) there were still people dining, but it wasn't full up, which afforded us excellent service from our attentive waiter. The food was fantastic as it always is. It is on the more expensive side, but you get what you pay for, and it is worth it for a special occassion. The setting is perfect. I would highly recommend this restaurant, and will be going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and absolutely divineMissFussyDined on 18/7/2014If you're a meat lover this is definitely the place to go! I'm never disappointed with the food or the service. Currently on offer, and something usually not offered by the Gaucho chain, is a summer 2 course and 3 course set menu at a discounted rate which is excellent value for money. It is well worth the visit.Special Features:
- XXXXfoodloverXXXXXDined on 18/7/2014As always I had fillet medallion stake, two sides, with some complimentary red wine, and finish off with a selection of cheese. My colleague friend had something similar. However, the only two down points were that the waitress spilt the wine all over the glass and table without noticing, and the serving waitress split the peppercorn source onto my colleague’s trousers without noticing. I was very disappointed over that given the level of services expected from Gaucho. Other than that, everything else were fine.Special Features:
- AmazingReinaDined on 14/7/2014Took my boyfriend here for dinner as it is his birthday. The food was magnificent and you can taste every single flavour in it. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but costlyAlframpDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food which is deserving of a premium price however I do feel that the food is slightly overpriced in comparison to the market. Ambience is brilliant, trendy atmosphere and furniture and with excellent music in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous restaurantBecksamDined on 11/7/2014Having arrived we were asked if we had a preference on where we would like to sit, we chose a window river view, lovely decor inside the restaurant. Our waitress showed us the steak board and explained the cuts to us, the steak was the best I've ever eaten having chosen the trio of medallions to try 3 different cuts, side dishes of tomato salad and chips were delicious. The home made bread platter was superb and having chosen the special desert of strawberry meringue I was very impressed with the whole experience. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and they are very attentive, I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LittleLegsDined on 11/7/2014Overall, what is was expecting from the Gaucho, have used thier 02 before as within the venue, but this is so much better food and service wise. Also the river boat takes you straigh to the O2. Would choose this over the 02 any day.Special Features:
- Great steakJaiRDined on 10/7/2014Great steak and service. Really nice ambience and setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as alwaysBlondie1974Dined on 5/7/2014Service was very attentive and the food was great as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Special occasionSatniteoutDined on 5/7/2014Lovely restaurant for that special occasion. Thank you for a lovely evening on sat 5th July, will return but could not read the menu as the writing was very small and dining area to dark had to use mobile phone light to choose mealSpecial Features:
- MilesdavisDined on 3/7/2014Rib-eye was succulent and the cooking was spot on (medium rare) and the waitress recommended us a very pleasant oak aged Malbec from Mendoza region. Perfect match with beef... I am dribbling just writing the review... :-))Special Features: