132 - 134 High Street
Orpington, BR6 0JSNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gesti.co.uk/
- Phone: 01689820699
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm to 3:00pm and 6:00pm to 10:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm and 5:00pm to 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Casu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Gesti is always glad to play a part in your special day. We can cater for large parties of up to 120 people for any special occasion you might want to celebrate. Work dos, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings and family gatherings are very popular at Gesti, so we've arranged menus that suit any occasion. Prices and dishes can be adjusted to fit whatever your budget might be and tables plans arranged to accomodate your party in style.
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi-private dining room is situated on the first floor and its available to hire for any occasion.
We can accomodate up to 35 guests with personalized menus, seating & table plan, decor and any that you might require to make the occasion very special.
For further details contact us on 01689 820699.
- Special Events: Special events, tribute nights and gourmet wine tastings are regularly hosted at Gesti in Orpington.
If you wish to receive all the latest information and details regarding our events just subscibe to our Newsletter at www.gesti.co.uk and we'll notify you in due course.
A word from Gesti
At Gesti, actions speak louder than words and visitors are treated to a visual spectacular as well as a gastronomic one, the room centred around an open kitchen where food is prepared before your very eyes – pizza dough tossed, sauces vigorously stirred and meats cooked over roaring and spitting open flames. The atmosphere is of course lively and relaxed, conversation flowing easily over the slickly modern Italian food and glasses of carefully hand-picked wines and freshly mixed cocktails. As well as hearty, lingering dinners, Gesti offers lighter lunches inspired by traditional Italian lunchtimes with delicatessen nibbles and caffeteria favourites picked from throughout the towns and cities of Italia. A must for anybody taken with the Italian way of life.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gesti reviews from OpenTable diners
- Hi toptable, Have put 'poor'forDinner9Dined on 14/3/2013Hi toptable, Have put 'poor'for everything above as cannot submit this form without putting something..... Cannot give you a review on Gesti as we did not go as it shut down....VERY VERY surprised that I did not hear from Toptable to let us know this before 14 March. I think you should have informed me as I booked the table through Toptable......would like to hear your comments.
- Valentines Night SuccessRoyBoyDined on 14/2/2013Loved the ambience and friendly service, the staff are always at hand without being in your face. The menu is excellent but the fillet steak on the night was one of the best both my partner and I have experienced. I wouldn't hesitate to return and recommend Gesti's to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply fantasticBromleyboyDined on 14/2/2013I read the reviews on this restaurant before I booked and as always you go with an open mind, but I have to say the food was simply stunning from the fish starter to the fillet steak I had! Truly a wonderful place and a great find in the middle of Orpington! I highly recommend Gesti and will be going again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, good foodBrianDined on 14/2/2013My wife and I made our first visit this past Valentines day and really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty and different Italian foodAnni2455Dined on 2/2/2013we loved the food and enjoyed the small nibbles especially the mini arancini. service was friendly but so slow; we would have liked dessert but waited so long for the waiter that we were past wanting it. however we would certainly recommend the restaurant and will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at this local restaurant,MaggicVIPDined on 1/2/2013Dinner at this local restaurant, Gesti's, on Friday night was good. The greeting, service and food, as before, could not be faulted. My own personal criticism would be regarding the ambience - it was so noisy and difficult to hear my friend's conversation - but hey, I am probably older than you! Always good to return.
- Treat yourselfjan18Dined on 19/1/2013Gesti never fails to please. The food is always excellent and cooked and served by staff who care. Whatever the occasion, you are made to feel special. I recommend dining at this Italian restaurant, and once you have experienced this you will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was extremelyHelsDined on 8/1/2013The service was extremely slow. After waiting over 20 mins for a drink we eventually walked down to the bar where the staff were casually chatting to one another. Food was ok but thats about it.
- As usual we were treated soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2013As usual we were treated so well at this super restaurant. Top rate food and service with a warm and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gesti still flies the Italian flag!IhaveavoucherDined on 5/1/2013Having been to Gesti quite a few times, I was interested to see if it disappointed as restaurants can often do. Not this one. The menu is updated that means fresh choices, the service is still eager and attentive and one still has a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Visit if you have not discovered them yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the greeting was a bit mechanicalhungryDined on 25/12/2012the greeting was a bit mechanical and did not seem sincere. The table was slightly awkward to get in and out. The waitress was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gesti's is besti'sPTGuru1Dined on 24/12/2012Excellent restaurant with outstanding food and exceptional service. Been few times now and always have an excellent meal . Nothing to fault . You will not be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great festive mealruthieliciousDined on 24/12/2012We booked a meal for Christmas eve, the restaurant was very busy and had a great atmosphere. Food as always excellent, the staff were very hard pushed but delivered a first rate service. Gesti never disappoints. It would be great to see some more fish dishes on the menu in the new year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Christmas get togetherLoup322Dined on 1/12/2012We booked Gesti for a Christmas get together for a few friends, that could include an 18 month old baby. We were made very welcome, even though we had arrived quite early for our table. The highchair was already at our table. We didn't want starters, so ordered some olives and garlic bread to share. The main courses were great - the food was very nice, and there was plenty of it without leaving us too full for pudding. The desserts were good too. The only downside to this restaurant is the childrens menu. In my view, it is food chosen specifically to be bland for fussy eaters, where I would prefer smaller portions of the adult food. My daughter much prefers to eat off my plate than eat what I have ordered for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gesti OrpingtonBonappetitDined on 30/11/2012Pleasant surprises all round at Gesti. Warm reception great service and great value food. Even the ABBA tribute band were surprisingly good and non-intrusive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Haz4diningDined on 30/11/2012I would recommend Gesti to anyone for any occasion, good value for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opera EveningjanegDined on 23/11/2012The opera evening was excellent with a good choice of food and excellent service. Would thoroughly recommend it and looking forward to the next one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opera night at Gesti, Orpington.bootneckDined on 23/11/2012The opera night was well organised, the interaction between waiters and performer was successful, they continued to serve food throughout the performance, but with a level of subtlety as to cause no distraction. My request, 'Summertime' from 'Porgy and Bess', was performed beautifully, especially taking into account the singer was singing live and close up in such an intimate atmosphere. The last few bars are especially difficult, she sang them without a hint of hesitation. The menu was 'table d'hote' but that does not do it justice, there was as many choices as their 'A La Carte'. I look forward to the next 'Opera Night'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- .Good Food at Fair PricesJantDined on 17/11/2012This is a lovely restaurant, trying hard to do things well. Pasta is particularly good as are the desserts. We have eaten here before but later in the evening. We went at 6.30pm and there were families with small children and although it's great to see families eating together I suggest you go later if you want a more peaceful evening! The excellent service we have experienced before took a while to get going. There were certainly lots of waitresses but I think they were being briefed for the evening and forgot about the guests who had come early. Once it was realised that we had been ignored we received excellent service and the glass of wine we were subsequently given was not charged for. Just a blip I'm sure and would still recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night mealLaineyDined on 3/11/2012Enjoyed a Saturday night meal with hubby,only complaint that at 11.30 was told bar was closed and had to wait while they found a manager to give permission for a drink while waiting for a cab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mistymistyDined on 31/10/2012Good atmosphere, good food, very attentive staff, really liked the whole feel of the restaurant. Shame the 'ladies' is such a long walk! Overall brilliant, keep it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gesti OrpingtonScottieDined on 28/10/2012This was our second visit to gesti and was once again very nice. Good up to a very good standard and nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Celebration.food4thoughtDined on 27/10/2012We went as a party of four and found that it was the perfect place for a relaxed meal with friends. The service was good without being obtrusive. The food was delicious, Mediterranean Fish Stew, Belly of Pork, Lasagne (even better than the wife's) and Raviolli with wild boar all very tasty. We were able to sit and chat without feeling that we were being rushed.The staff were all very pleasant and the bill at the end didn't spoil the evening. This was a grown-up night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal. Really nice smallNeighbours1Dined on 13/10/2012Lovely meal. Really nice small bar area to have cocktail or apertif pre-dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take us off the Gesti listMikey200Dined on 13/10/2012After reading other reviews we thought we were in for a pleasant evening. It was not. Although the staff were very attentive and cheerful, it did not make up for the disappointing food. My partner had sea bass which to put it mildly, was way past its best. As soon as it was brought to the table you could smell it was off. How the chef didn't notice it is a mystery. We are not likely to go back on the basis that the restuarant is no better than when it was owned by a bigger chain.
- Good-justScaryDined on 12/10/2012Had impromptu dinner with wife and two of our grown up children. Menu is varied with a strong Italian bias with a leaning toward trattoria rather than ristorante. Quite busy on a Friday night but service prompt and efficient. Drinks good value. Food is of a good standard but not 'gourmet'. Decor bland and uninteresting which detracts from ambience. Would go again for a quick informal meal as a change from Curry or Chinese.Special Features:
- dinner at GestigerridDined on 5/10/2012My partner and I went to Gesti for the second time this year. I ordered the Mozzarella salad for starters which came without dressing or the offer of. However it was brought up quickly after requesting it. The meal was well presented and up to the standard of our first visit. The waiter was very friendly without being overattentive and the overall ambience was comfortable and relaxing. We will definitely be going again.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningNannaBDined on 25/8/2012We had a lovely evening at Gesti with family, they seem to have sorted any issues with long waiting times, we had very good attentive service and the food was really good especially the chocolate fondant desert will definitely be going backSpecial Features:
- ItaliandonnaVIPDined on 25/8/2012Very good restaurant - nice to have something of this standard locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Tasty meal!foodieDined on 24/8/2012Always tasty and varied food of good value. Good service too!Special Features:
- A llittle disappointing this timeGoldoakDined on 17/8/2012This was our third visit to Gesti in Orpington, this time as a party of 6 on a Friday evening. The service was somewhat slow, it took a while to place our order, and an hour before the main course was served. As it was a special celebration, we ordered a bottle of Prosecco before the meal, but the waiter misjudged pouring, so it only served 5 of us, necessitating a 2nd bottle. The menu had changed too. Fritto misto to start was breaded prawns and small slightly chewy calamari. What happened to the beautiful grilled mediterranean prawns, and the fish stew for main? Sea bass with pistachio was tasty, but mashed potato should have been on the same plate, it didn't work on the side. Prawn pasta was good. Hope this was just an off day!Special Features:
- lovely eveningfoodieDined on 3/8/2012Great value for money,tasty food,friendly service too. Will definatly return!Special Features:
- Good value lunchJCB19Dined on 31/7/2012Enjoyable authentic Italian food and a nice bottle of chianti. Second visit, will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Sunday!DinnieDined on 29/7/2012Excellent Sunday Lunch at Gesti's. Even my 6yr old cleared her plate of Roast Beef and all the trimmings. Very good staff and service - will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO NICE FOR THE HIGH STREETMEAL4TWODined on 21/7/2012Have to say first impressions of the outside did not refect how nice the restaurant was. it's quite trendy inside and having a drink at the bar having a nose over the menu at our own pace was a nice touch. We were served and greeted by happy friendlt staf who took our order at the bar and invited us to out table when we were ready. All the other diners seemed happy and did not hear one person moan about anything. The food (sea bass) was very nice and the quality of deserts made my decision difficult. Would recommend going and we aim to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!pgoodallDined on 21/7/2012We went here a couple of months ago on a very rare night out, and loved it. The complementary water in a carafe is a really nice touch as most places make you ask for water and still only give you a small glass at a time. The food was excellent in taste, presentation and quality. The service was very friendly and helpful. We're headed there again soon, and it is our new favourite place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic, food,GestiFanDined on 19/7/2012Absolutely fantastic, food, service, drinks and atmosphere were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDSlimgymDined on 13/7/2012First time at this restaurant for a girls night out. Pre-dinner drinks at the bar, no rush to take you to your table and very good food. Waiter service attentive without being intrusive, We "shared" starters and extra plates were bought instinctively, along with the "shared" cheese platter which would highly recommend if you are not a dessert lover. A very pleasant way to spend an evening with the girls and I would highly recommmend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ciao bella...IhaveavoucherDined on 5/7/2012Another great meal in Gesti. The service can depend on who is working that evening so varies between good and excellent. The grissini sticks and home-made mayo start the meal off well and the wine list has some real gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gesti business mealgmanDined on 3/7/2012A number of previous owners have failed to make a success of this site and its difficult to find a place to park. Its nice for a bar drink and meal at the bar but the restaurant lacks ambiance. Its good but not very good. The same for the food - good and I would go back for certain, but the restaurant section at the rear just lacks that "very good" ambiance. Maybe its not so intimate or the view out the back window or the lighting but it just lacks something. Its more bistro like than restaurant maybe. The prices are not cheap so I would expect more. Anyway in Orpington there is not too much choice so I would go back but not in a rush.Special Features: