11 Old Jewry
London, EC2R 8DUNeighbourhood:
SteakPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.goodmanrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 020 7600 8220
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00 am - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Steak
- Executive Chef: Oliver Bird
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar
A word from Goodman City
Goodman specialises in steak. Our chefs source the best beef from both sides of the Atlantic – from USDA ‘Prime’ corn-fed herds to grass-fed Scottish beef, grain-fed Irish Angus and rare breed Belted Galloway from Devon – to present a uniquely British interpretation of a New York grill. All of our meat is matured on-site – you can see it for yourself in our glass-walled dry-ageing room – then we cook it over charcoal for a fabulously smoky flavour. Couple that with one of London’s largest collections of American red wine and you’ve a match made in carnivore heaven. Our City of London venue is just round the corner from the Bank of England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Goodman City - Best restaurants in Bank ›
Goodman City reviews from OpenTable diners
351 reviews since 23 November 2013
business meals (249)special occasions (144)fit for foodies (123)group bookings (73)romance (40)sunday lunch (15)pre/post theatre (15)brunch (12)disabled access (10)child friendly (8)outstanding value (5)good vegetarian options (2)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- On top of their gameUmamiVIPDined on 20/11/2014As always the steaks are exceptionally tasty, and standards are NOT slipping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winning combinationJLOCKDined on 18/11/2014With steak and wine like this, its impossible to have a bad meal at Goodman. Throw in some lobster, mac and cheese, and creamed spinach for diversification!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/11/2014service was only ok - took a good while to be served and even when we had explained we needed to turn around in an hour, was very difficult to capture their attention for the bill. The set menu smoked salmon starter was an example of how restaurants scrimp on the set menus. 3 very small pieces of smoked salmon just isn't worth putting forward, just choose a starter which is cheaper to you than the salmon if you can't give a proper portion.
- Great placeJohnMacDined on 14/11/2014Excellent place to eat, food & service was outstanding. In my opinion is the best steakhouse in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lukewarmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/11/2014Plates not warmed leading to lukewarm food. Sauce forgotten. Meat bland. Not good enough for the money or given the competition.
- Outstanding food and serviceJSOCDined on 10/11/2014Whilst we went as a couple, this is largely a business restaurant because of its location. Having said that, we had an amazing time with both food and service being outstanding. I am also a fan of dessert wines and they have a great choice - the black muscat was wonderful. We are not red wine drinkers but John, the General Manager, found us a lovely Sauvignon Blanc. John was friendly, attentive and welcoming finding time to speak to just about every table in the restaurant. I don't know how he did it. I wish I knew the name of our waitress as she was so helpful. Some months ago we had a very average meal here on my first visit and I vowed never to go back but I'm so glad I did and I will certainly go again as my husband and sons love it.Special Features:
- Goodman City - great food and drinkLizRVIPDined on 6/11/2014The steaks are fantastic here. Service was top notch.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Dinner!foodiegreenDined on 28/10/2014We went to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. As a steak lover, I was eager to impress him and after reading reviews on several sites, decided on Goodman City. I was delighted that I did. He loved it- everything from being greeted warmly on arrival, seated in a lovely quite booth and being offered champagne to mark the occasion. We had the mixed grill and the American Wagyu ribeye (which was absolutely delicious!). We also had several sides, which served as nice compliments. It was a wonderful evening and I would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- Great service and serious meatUKLADined on 28/10/2014We went for a family meal in what is mostly a business restaurant. The service was simply outstanding - warm, personal and extremely helpful at every stage. The steaks are as good as I have eaten in London - better then Hawksmoor, the The Palm. The USDA bone-in ribeye, slightly charred on the outside, pink and juicy in the middle, was tender and richly flavoured without being over-seasoned. Substantial and varied wine list but best of all the vacuum storage system has some amazing wines by the glass so you can try a few without committing to a bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Succulent steak, dreamy dessertSqueezleDined on 27/10/2014Goodmans is rightly known for its steak. The waiter was knowledgeable on all aspects of the menu - steak, wine & dietary restrictions (I'm coeliac and he was able to point out the no-nos without trouble) as well as good humoured. Food arrived perfectly cooked and in good time. Dessert was an absolutely delicious - I wish I had room for more. My recommendation is take a few friends, order one of everything and share. You'll be a happy camper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's usual good selfnw05250Dined on 24/10/2014Tried and tested formula that doesn't fail. Quality meat and choice of others coupled with professional service makes a for a pleasant evening. Only gripe was them not stocking the wine we chose and offering us something ''similar'' which was in taste but not in price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent steaks but not much morehypezokosDined on 24/10/2014We were having dinner on a Friday at Goodman city. Of course, we had had reserved well before we went. The table we were placed at was fine. The quality of the service was differing from very good to bad between the almost ten different servers/waiters/hosts etc who made an appearance at our table at some point during the stay. There was a drink which was forgotten and even after the reminder it was not delivered swiftly. The steaks were 9,5/10 excellent. I tried both the Irish fillet which had a nice character to it and the USDA rib-eye which was just plain mouthwatering delicious. Cooked to precise medium. Sides were just "ok" if at all throughout the range of the sides that we tried. Felt a bit disappointed in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak to die forNinnypoos1Dined on 24/10/2014We ordered both the USDA American porterhouse and the UK porterhouse to compare. The UK version tasted much better than the U.S. one which was a big surprise. Stick with the UK steaks here when ordering!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Succulent steak and relaxed venueDrToddDined on 17/10/2014I had first been to Goodman on Maddox street in Mayfair, but needed a booking for 7 pm and found the one on Old Jewry near bank. I was meeting friends visiting from Los Angeles and we agreed the menu looked great. The booking was easy to make and then comfirmed by a real person on the phone. The pace of the meal was relaxed, the service was impeccable, and the food was simply delicious. We chatted for hours and enjoyed the wonderfully welcome atmosphere. The advice on the food while ordering was excellent, and the service staff were fantastic. The location was very convenient for acces from Loverpool Street as I came in from Colchester.Special Features:
- ChrissyDined on 15/10/2014Having visited goodmans on a number of occasions my last visit was not upto standard, not sure if it. Was the time of evening or it was having a off day , will definitely not put be off returning as we had many of great nights previouslySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/10/2014First time to Goodman City. The lunch was a business meeting and food, environment all very good. Will use again.Special Features:
- Fantastic steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I used this restaurnt fir our wedding anniversary . I and my wife enjoyed good service and fantastic steak. We will come back soon regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SteakstklvrDined on 8/10/2014The food and wine were superb (grass-fed bone-in ribeye and California Cakebread Cab).. This was my second time at the restaurant and I'm about to book again for next Thursday. Overall very nice indeed.Special Features:
- best steak in londonrobeadeDined on 8/10/2014Love this restaurant. Best steaks and service in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best beef in LondonABCDVIPDined on 6/10/2014I love the beef at Goodman's. Put simply, it's the best you can get anywhere in London. That night, service was especially attentive and top quality. The only downside is the loudness - it seems everyone shouts, which is a shame.Special Features:
- Great food - but overpricedtonyDined on 3/10/2014Main course (steaks) very good, starters overpriced, as was the wine. Service friendly, but fine-dining prices at what is really just a steak house.Special Features:
- superb experienceandyhDined on 3/10/2014the best steak we have ever eaten. thank you to the chef for showing us around the kitchen and thank you to our wonderful waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant eveningEKWCDined on 2/10/2014Brilliant service and food. Staff were very knowledgeable with the different types of steaks. Will definitely recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:
- good value set lunchClareDVIPDined on 2/10/2014Quite an expensive a la carte menu but the set menu is great value. Consistently good, reliable, pleasant service.Special Features:
- What a great restaurantChrisDined on 1/10/2014Great restaurant, the steaks are first class and the wine list is comprehensive. Would definitely recommend and will without a doubt return. The lady who looked after us was terrific and extremely professional. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodman top steaksMattBVIPDined on 30/9/2014Great to share a lovely Chateaubriand. Excellent. Tasty creamed spinach too.
- Too noisyGrumpyOfBradfieldDined on 26/9/2014Excellent food but far too noisy. I think the lack of any noise absorption in the ceiling almost amplifies peoples voices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadieswholunchDined on 26/9/2014As soon as I walked through the rather impressive doors I knew I was going to enjoy eating there. It's a beautiful building with shades of yesteryear. The tables were not too close to your neighbours, nothing worse than listening into other peoples conversations unless,that it you are unlucky in your choice of dining companion. I wasn't I am glad to say. The staff were extremely attentive but not overbearing. Informative and helpful with the wine and the cuts of meat available. I started with tempura king prawns - delicious and my fillet was cooked to perfection and so tenders. However that was enough- sadly I had no room for their amazing deserts. But I will definitely be returning to sample all 3 courses next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cbttDined on 23/9/2014Perfect steaks , friendly serice , wine list a little over pricedSpecial Features:
- Not for vegetariansSHIMVIPDined on 19/9/2014I know it's a steak place but I think it was a bit much to ask for my vegetarian selection 24hrs prior to dining. I could chose between pasta and rice and that was it. Went for the pasta and it was undercooked and the taste was below average. We also felt it was too loud in there so conversation could only be had screaming at each other.
- Another mind blowing steak!!LovedUpDined on 18/9/2014Where do i start, this place is brilliant, it’s the second time we have been here and the food just gets better and better! The knowledge of our waiter was incredible! He knew about all the different cuts, the breads of cow and what they liked to eat. We had a 900 gram bone in Rib eye to share between 2 people and it literally melted in your mouth. The truffle chips and creamed spinach were both excellent too! A truly fantastic evening at a great restaurant! Can’t wait to go back again!!Special Features:
- StrandStuStrandStuDined on 8/9/2014Good table by the window; attentive waiter with good expalnation of dishes; good food but rather expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good - 10/10FridayfunDined on 5/9/2014its a favorite of mine - this place never fails the place its just the best in my view if you are a meat eater. 10 out 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steak and creamy spinachJHSWDined on 5/9/2014The steak was juicy and good. But the creamy spinach side dish was heavenly. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- juicy delicious steakyomamaDined on 4/9/2014on arrival the waitress brought us two glasses of champagne as she knew it was our wedding anniversary which was a nice touch. Love the blackboard of special cuts...we choose the aged rib eye which was cooked to perfection medium rare juicy bloody lots of flavour. The entree was average but the sides were delicious...crispy chips and truffle oil, creamy macaroni and cheese with truffle, ...highly recommended.Special Features:
- Food and Service is always goodFoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014The food and service is always consistently good. Will keep going backSpecial Features:
- Quality in the CityChiswellDinerDined on 4/9/2014If you like steaks then you will love Goodmans. More class than other South American themed steak chains. There are also lots of booths and round tables ideal for business groups.Special Features:
- Good food but not for the priceMarekcyclistDined on 2/9/2014I had the rib eye, I was not that impressed with the quality of the cut, quite a lot of grissle and it just wasn't as nice as many other of the big name steak houses I have been to, where I normally have a rib eye. My colleague had the fillet and to be fair that did look pretty good. Chips were ok but at £5 for about 15 fat chips they should be amazing. I always assess a meal based on whether I would go back to the restaurant again and spend my own cash, and I am afraid that I felt that Goodmans was not one that I would go back to. We had a bottle of average Malbec at £42. The overall cost of a meal for two, we had starter, mains and one desert and two coffees came in at just over £170 which I did not feel was good value for money.Special Features:
- Meat Amazing - Service AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014The quality of the meat is the best I have ever tasted. The salad's however are not as good (but I guess don't go to a meat restaurant and order salad!) For example one of the startes is literally a bowl of tomatos! Chips were ok but not great, but I have not had a better steak in London! Service was poor, the waiter swere attentive on drinks but that was it. They even started taken plates of food away when people hadn't finished their meal!Special Features:
- Simply the best!MuffinDined on 29/8/2014Superb service only topped by the finest steak I've ever eaten. The choice is wide and the quality of the steak perfectly matched by the selected side dishes. Go for the salt and truffle oil chips for a truly memorable accompaniment to any dish!Special Features: