Grappolo Ristorante and Bar
1 Plough Place
London, EC4A 1HYNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
Grappolo Ristorante and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grappololondon.com/
- Phone: 02078420510
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dylan Giannotti-Evans
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Grappolo offers bespoke solutions for private parties and events, including dinner, drinks and canapé parties. Depending on the client’s needs, we have available for private hire everything from our dining room, bar, and deli space to our entire restaurant, all at very competitive prices.
- Private Party Contact: Maximo 02078420510
A word from Grappolo Ristorante and Bar
Grappolo Ristorante & Bar is dedicated to immersing the London diner into the flavors and tradition of regional Italian cuisine, albeit with a modern twist. Our menu is the work of Executive Chef Dylan Giannotti-Evans, and is inspired by both his Roman roots and passion of the culinary traditions that make the whole Italian peninsula one of the more delicious places in the world. However Chef Dylan does not merely want to 'replicate' the food one might find in a Neapolitan pizzeria or a Bolognese trattoria. Instead Grappolo's elevates Italian gastronomy to the level of exquisite London dining in terms of both presentation and innovation. Grappolo is also a place of fine drink, as we boast one of London more exciting and varied Italian wine lists. After extensive tasting we have paid special attention to finding some of Italy's lesser-known but tasty wines, whilst providing fantastic examples of London's favorite vintages from Italy and the rest of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grappolo Ristorante and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since 2 June 2014
business meals (78)group bookings (58)outstanding value (44)pre/post theatre (34)special occasions (30)romance (23)brunch (21)fit for foodies (17)good vegetarian options (15)sunday lunch (9)child friendly (7)afternoon tea (7)Show More
- First visitDelishVIPDined on 25/4/2014I was disappointed that so many of the items on the menu were unavailable. However the food picked was very tasty. I was also surprised that the restaurant was so quiet being a Friday lunchtime.Special Features:
- Tasty food, disappointing puddingsAlisonVIPDined on 23/4/2014The main course pasta dish was really enjoyable but the dessert options were very limited and disappointing.Special Features:
- just okspudDined on 18/4/2014Food was ok,nothing great,was only worth it because of the offer we had,otherwise it would be over priced for the quality. My partners steak was poor quality and the peppercorn sauce was poured all over it to try and disguise this fact!!! Asked for vanilla ice cream,they didnt have any,had to have lemon sorbet which was like a block of ice,inedible!!!!!! The staff were not very happy/welcoming,seemed to begrudge us being there!!!!Special Features:
- OK but wouldn't rush backMollyVIPDined on 18/4/2014The deal was good, half price if you order 2 courses and a bottle of wine. However the food was OK so only worth the half price. We had whitebait, calamari - both OK looked a bit "manufactured". Braesola was really nice and the parmigiana. The prawn pasta only had about 4 prawns in it. The pizzas were good. Overall OK but wouldn't rush back think one of the chains eg Pizza Express/Strada would be better and similar priceSpecial Features:
- Evening of HellMikeDined on 16/4/2014The whole event not only ruined my birthday but left us shaken. We have never come across someone (head waiter) who not only was rude, racist but someone who was aggressively abusive and quite delusional. He was on the brink of being violent. Hence I would like this incident given the utmost attention and swift response. Otherwise the next step is to seek legal consultation if satisfactory outcome not reached.Special Features:
- SophDined on 16/4/2014I have been to Grappolo before and used the 50% off food and a bottle of wine promotion, which makes dinner there (financially) much more palateable, as the menu hasn't changed for vegetarians in a while. However, I'm glad to see that there was one more option on the menu for vegetarians. I'd happily go again on the voucher, but I think that Grappolo is a little pricey for what you get if not on a deal.Special Features:
- Average dining experienceKatrinaDined on 11/4/2014Having booked through Top Table and checked the reviews (after booking!) I was prepared for some issues during my dinner at Grappolo. First, getting the waiters attention was a challenge! It took a while to order our food. The menu was also considerably more restricted than the one I'd viewed online earlier that day. The food was actually pretty decent - small portions, however. When the bill came, we were charged over £100 for 2 courses for 2 people with a bottle of wine. In no way was the meal worth £50 per head. I explained that we had booked via Top Table on the 50% off with a free bottle of wine deal and they did correct the bill. We paid £54 in total in the end, but the staff should calculate correctly it the first place!
- No my best experiencedinnerdateDined on 10/4/2014The visit can best be described as one I would prefer to forget. The restaurant design does not take into account acoustics and consequently although the restaurant was not crowded the noise made conversation difficult this combined with starkness of the interior does not lend to an enjoyable experience. The menu cannot be described as memorable an appears to be designed to ensure a past turnover in all the food can only be described as average.Special Features:
- Rude and aggressive waiter ...VotingwithourfeetDined on 9/4/2014Two good staff can't make up for the bad ones. Especially the rude one who tried to bully us into ordering food we did't want, had no intention of making amends for the indelible food and refused to honour the 50% deal. It's a shame because the place is nicely set out, feels modern and is apparently aiming to be a little up market.
- Excellent EveningRobbie1964Dined on 7/4/2014I took my fiancee here for a meal for her birthday, we had one of many promotional offers (50% off all food and a free bottle of house wine). We ordered our food and a bottle of the house red, only to be told they didn't have any, but we could have rose or white instead. The manager came over and confirmed that we could not have the house red, but we could have a different bottle of red and pay the difference (not really what the promotion says but hey ho). That aside, the food was excellent, and good value for money (with the discount, but not without it). The restaurant was three-quarters empty, but it was a Monday night, so probably to be expected. Nice place though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Great Grappolochrisd789Dined on 7/4/2014My business partner and I arrived and were instantly greeted by two staff members who were very warm and friendly. Asked where we would like to sit before taking our coats and putting them into a cloak room. Decor lovely and soon our food and drinks were served really quickly, but I must point out here, that this is where Grappolo truly excelled - the food was heavenly and as the restaurant name suggests - Italian, but offering both traditional and contemporary homeland, exquisite dishes. Definitely will go back and not expensive either! There are building works going on in the street - at the time of writing this review ( April 2014) - making finding the restaurant a little difficult, but persevere. It's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go ElsewhereLukozDined on 4/4/2014When it seems too good to be true, it often is. Don't be fooled by the 50% off food deal with a free bottle of wine. Mains were reasonably priced but the deserts and starters were £7/8 minimum. The food was very average, the service was a real effort - I apologise to the staff for the inconvenience of my custom. The bill was not the bargain that I had expected. Free wine, 2 mains, 2 deserts = over £40. Would have had better value and service at Pizza Express, actually why didn't i just go to Pizza Express!? Food, service and value for money all below average. Very few positives to note, if any.
- The main course was tastyDissatisfiedDined on 4/4/2014The main course was tasty and came quickly. We ordered crepes for dessert, waited half an hour, asked what the delay was, were told that the crepes had finished, they didn't have any left. I wonder how long we would've waited before somebody came to tell us that! We had a train to catch so didn't have time to order anything else. We had joined Circolo Grappolo and were entitled to 50% off and a free bottle of wine on our first visit. We were given the bill and were told that we weren't entitled to the discount or the wine as we hadn't had two courses! We complained and got the discount and the wine but the staff were quite rude and obviously didn't think we should get it. I personally won't go back as we didn't even get an apology.Special Features:
- Overpriced unless you have an offerGinny74Dined on 4/4/2014Scored this restaurant as good/average for a number of reasons. Plus points - The food was hot and very flavoursome and we did not have to wait long between courses. Minus points - When you ask for the soup of the day, you expect to receive the one you are told or at least an explanation before being served something very different and have it just put in front of you with no explanation. A dish was described as strips of beef - well I go just one lump of beef and was expected to cut it myself?? That said the actual dish itself was tasty with a lovely sauce! This restaurant could have scored better if more attention to detail to the menu and customer service improved giving better information to your diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - poor serviceAdoniaDined on 3/4/2014Food was nice and good value for money but I have to say the service was pretty terrible - handed out bread with no side plates...gave us our desserts without cutlery...we had to chase up our drinks order after 10mins. Such a shame! Will probably try it again in case this was just a bad night but they're basic things to get wrong :(
- Grapollo has a fairly smallnickDined on 3/4/2014Grapollo has a fairly small menu with nothing particularly outstanding or special - the food was excellant and the staff attentative. For what it is the menu was quite expensive 3 courses for 3 people with a glass of wine came to a staggering £110 which was more that it was worth. We took the 50% off food option which the waiter forgot to take off the bill - when we queried it the new bill came to £66 which was much more like we thought it was worth. Not going back i think.
- I met a friend who I hadn'tLondonTownerVIPDined on 3/4/2014I met a friend who I hadn't seen for ages at Grappolo for lunch. We were surprised that the waitress brought us the bill even though we hadn't asked for it. After a few minutes she came back and asked us to pay. I found it strange that a restaurant in the City of London closes between lunch and dinner. Reasonable value with the Toptable offer, otherwise it would be overpriced.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, friendly staffkasproDined on 3/4/2014Good 50% off food and free wine offer, however the 12% tip is charged from the full meal value. The food was tasty but nothing mind blowing, no salads on the menu which is a bit of a shame. Staff friendly and also very good locationSpecial Features:
- Most Enjoyable EveningBella2012Dined on 2/4/2014I went with a friend just for a night out. I was a bit apprehensive about going as I had a voucher for 50% off plus a free bottle of wine. I half expected the food to be very restricted on what you could eat and the wine to be cheap. I was happily very wrong. The staff were very attentive, helpful and eager to please without being too overpowering. The food was very fresh and hot when it arrived and very tasty unlike some places where the food can be quite bland. The bottle of wine that we had was very nice considering it was included within our meal deal. We had a couple of cocktails which were lovely. All in all we had a great evening and I am very pleased we chose to dine here. Top marks all round for this place, highly recommended.Special Features:
- The food was very tasty andfaithopeDined on 1/4/2014The food was very tasty and the wine was good too. I received the 50% discount voucher which also offered a bottle of their wine, making it a cheap meal but I find it cheeky that you still get the service percentage considered over the wine, along with the rest. Either way, the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like the old Bertorelli'sBijanVIPDined on 27/3/2014This used to be a very good place to have lunch when it was Bertorelli's. It is not quite the same now that it has changed hands and become Grappolo. The spaghetti carbonara was good but service was slow. Red wine was cold. No sparkling water was available. There is room for improvement.
- Not what I expectedDinnerDined on 21/3/2014Very noisy environment, you can barely hear what your partners say! Food was ok quality but too little for the price (130g of salmon for 16£) and pretty much they ran out of most of the menu item. Didn't like it and won't return back. The waiters were trying to be friendly but that's just a topping on the whole experience. The management needs reshaping, same as the whole system of the restaurantSpecial Features:
- AveragePJaneJVIPDined on 18/3/2014aubergine, cheese and tomatoes - dripping in oil, main course the biggest bowl of penne - dripping in oil - very boring after a few mouthfuls, one of us had Calamari which he said was good, another colleague had sea bass it was tiny and again had the oil on for a final touch..... the waitress leant across the table to serve drinks rather than walking behind us which I thought was quite rude, oh and when we arrived at the restaurant we waited in the foyer where they usually meet you but no one was there, so one of my colleagues walked in spoke to a waitress who then told us to wait and eventually someone came, as a suggestion to the restaurant - don't add oil, make your menu smaller - have a look at Jamie's menu and take a few of his dishesSpecial Features:
- Lovely long lunch at GrappoloinelookingforindianDined on 25/2/2014Very pleasant and efficient lunch, with good central location. Nice service, menu somewhat limited but sufficient to satisfy most tastes. Prices on the high side, but more realistic with special offer. Have been several times and would recommend and go again, although was a little disappointed on this last visit with quality of seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful location with excellentDerekDined on 24/2/2014Wonderful location with excellent food, wine and staff. A must!Special Features:
- 2nd VisitKettsVIPDined on 21/2/2014Gave this restaurant a second chance as was not that impressed with food and service first time .... thought I would try again and pick something different. Service was again terrible so this time refused to pay the service charge. 50% deal is ok but would be horrified if we paid full price for the food service. The only positive thing about the deal was the free bottle of wine!
- 3 courses for £15 from thepurpledwarfVIPDined on 21/2/20143 courses for £15 from the a la carte menu was a great deal. The aubergine parmigiana was delicious. I enjoyed the gnocchi with gorgonzola but it would have been nice to have some salad or something with it as it was very heavy and boring by the end of the plate! The tables were quite close together and it was really loud so I would recommend it for business/group meals rather than a romantic date.Special Features:
- Cannot describe without being rudeKapsDined on 21/2/2014I have booked a table for 8 people for dinner and to my surprise none of us were satisfied. Wine selection was limited, literally we had to choose one out of two and we couldn’t reorder it again as they ran out of stock. Food, don’t have words to describe it none out of 8 were satisfied. Simply, worse than microwave food!!! In sort, I will not go there again and will never recommend it to anyone else!!
- Perfect for relaxed business lunchLuvfoooodDined on 20/2/2014Some do the decor is a little shabby ie in the toilet hand wash holders etc In the ladies, chairs seat had softened in the middle and was uncomfortable. However this didn't impact the delicious food and sensible pricing. There are offers for discount off meals and signing up for a membership card means you can always have 25% off anyway if no other offers running Would Definateky go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tucked away restaurantSLSSDined on 20/2/2014I've been to Grappolo on Fetter Lane a few time now as i was working in the area. The food was always great and i've had a range of pasta, meat and fish, all cooked well and served swiftly when i was there for a quick lunch with colleagues. I'd recommend and also making the most of the 50% off food.Special Features:
- Don't get the meatballstastymorselDined on 19/2/2014Poor food, in particular the meatballs, which had clearly been made with very cheap meat as there was lots of inedible gristle. The steak was really average and also had to be sent back to have it done medium rare (as requested) rather than rare. The two starters were average - nothing wrong with them but nothing special, just pre-prepared plates of meat. The saving grace was the wine. Even with the 50% off food and the free bottle of wine, we still feel ripped off after paying £20 per head. If we hadn't had the offer, we would have paid around £50 per head which would, quite frankly, have been daylight robbery. Won't be visiting again.
- A perfect eveningDanCDined on 19/2/2014Booked at Grappolo for 6 people using the 50% off à la carte including a free bottle of wine. It worked out a very good value. The food was really good fresh Italian. The free wine very decent. Service plaisant. Two vegetarians in the group and they were please with the menu options. It was mid-week. Busy but not overly. Not too noisy at all. We were not rushed out to make space for another service. We had a very nice evening indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't get the meatballstastymorselDined on 19/2/2014Terrible food. Meatballs almost entirely inedible gristle. Steak had to be sent back. Worst restaurant I've ever been to food-wise. Also had to fetch our own coats from the cloak room, so didn't feel particularly secure. Won't be returning. Would advise you never to come here.
- Grappolo lunchIH2dineVIPDined on 17/2/2014We had a good weekday lunch at Grappolo this week. The menu is relatively short in terms of choices but quite well executed Seafood pasta in particular, which was quite comprehensively stocked with mussels and squid and prawns at least, so not the "monomarinara" that one critic reported. The 50% off the food and a free bottle of Montalcino D Abruzzo was very welcome and other wines which we ordered were well-priced. Overall previous critics have been too harsh and it is definitely worth trying. I shall probably return.Special Features:
- Good offers, great foodFoodoclockDined on 14/2/2014Food was absolutely gorgeous. The offer we booked for was brilliant, the bill was heavily discounted but if it wasn't, it still would have been worth it. House wine very good, service fantastic. Would book again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap and cheerful defined!SammyKDined on 14/2/2014We were a group of girls here on Valentine's Day and it was full of couples but didn't feel out of place at all! We had the fantastic 50% off and free bottle of house wine offer (we had the red and it was really nice, despite being free!). I wouldn't say the food was fit for foodies but with the offer, it was definitely worth it! The calamari, scarmoza, and affettato misto starters were much better than the pollo milanese main and the lasagna was nice. The live singer was also really good and the service was very friendly! We all had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grappolo Ristorante and BarMRSTJGDined on 14/2/2014We thought 50% off food meant just off the cost and not off the starter portion sizes! At £8 - £12 full price the sizes were disgraceful. Generally the meal was OK but would've been very expensive for the quality and quantity at full price. 50% off food and a free bottle of wine offer made it just about OK.Special Features:
- Petty, unnecessary money grabbingwandrol73Dined on 14/2/2014I booked a set menu which included a bottle of wine for a pre theatre bite to eat. When we arrived, I went off to the gents, my partner ordered 2 glasses of house white (not knowing what menu I had booked.) We then ordered our meal and THEN the waiter came back and said, by the way you have a bottle of wine with your meal - I asked if the wine we had could just be counted as such, he said it could not. We then got an additional bottle of wine. The meal was ok, they forgot to bring oil & balsamic with our bread and olives so had to ask for it, but overall ok. We then got the bill to find that the house wine had cost us £12 a glass (the complimentary BOTTLE cost £18 - which we didnt finish as we had to rush off). Pity reallySpecial Features:
- The restaurant has a pleasantmartincDined on 13/2/2014The restaurant has a pleasant and professional ambience, and the service was very good. The food was well presented and in sensible portions, though it was not particularly special. Look out for offers at this place - otherwise it's pretty expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- Huge let down from start to finishCatherineDined on 13/2/2014The food was extremely basic. My main of rossoto was supposed to have "seasonal vegetables" but it actually consisted of frozen peas. It was worse than a microwave meal. For such a lovely looking restaurant in the centre of London I was really let down by this place. I definitely would not return. The staff were also very abrupt and our meals were served worringly quickly which leads me to believe they were actually microwaved. The hostess then made us get our own coats from the cloakroom and gave us dirty looks whilst we put them on in the cloakroom. Wouldnt reccomend this place at all!!!!