Griffin Inn Swithland
174 Main Street, Swithland
Leicester, LE12 8TJNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
Griffin Inn Swithland
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.griffininnswithland.co.uk/
- Phone: 01509 890535
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm-2pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12pm-6pm
Monday and Sunday: 6pm-8pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 6pm-9pm
Friday - Saturday: 6pm-9.30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Griffin Inn Swithland
Traditional, family run country inn in the heart of the beautiful Charnwood forest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Griffin Inn Swithland - Best restaurants in Loughborough ›
Griffin Inn Swithland reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since 27 November 2013
sunday lunch (13)special occasions (12)fit for foodies (11)outdoor eating (9)good vegetarian options (7)romance (6)group bookings (5)business meals (3)outstanding value (3)brunch (3)child friendly (2)disabled access (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Great food and freindly serviceBigAlDined on 11/11/2014Really enjoyable evening within a very relaxed setting. All three courses for the three of us were well presented and very tasty. The service was attentive and friendly and the food was good value for money. Toad in the Hole, King Prawn and Mushroom starters all lovely and Steak and Chicken mains were delicious. Apple Crumble and custard and cheesecake to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Sunday lunchP3J6Dined on 31/8/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal with our family and were impressed with the delicious food and attentive service. We will be returning....soon, I hope!Special Features:
- saturday nightlovebirdsDined on 26/7/2014This was our first meal at the Griffin Inn and I must say a very enjoyable one. The three courses we chose were presented, cooked and served very well, overall a very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Really GoodThemightyfoxDined on 12/7/2014Had lunch and it was great - very good food and service - highly recommended - we will be back!!Special Features:
- DisappointedDboyDined on 6/7/2014Having drive past this place several times I had to try it, In an affluent area and above average prices I excepted real home cooked food, I was disappointed not only was the decor tired the place could do with a good clean! We had roast dinners, packed stuffing, pre cooked yorkshires, I expected a real treat as I was treating my family! I could get this meal 1/2 price at a branded pub chain with much better qualitySpecial Features:
- Very niceFoodieDined on 5/6/2014Great food. Great portion sizes. Service was good. One tiny thing- the May and June specialise were exactly the same- good selection though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodFoodieDined on 24/5/2014The food was excellent and a lot of thought had gone into its presentation. There was a wedding on at the same time but this had no effect on the food or the service. One small thing- we ordered a bottle of wine which was brought to us, well presented, in a wine cooler but we were left to pour our own 1st glasses- a small thing but something unusual and noticeable in a place like this. I will certainly be going back however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in Swithland.SchatziDined on 12/4/2014Friendly, efficient service and well- presented, beautifully cooked dishes. Great atmosphere inside and outside. Cannot recommend highly enough.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellent serviceSteveiboyDined on 16/2/2014Nice relaxed atmosphere. Music playing in the background that was at a level that it was just audible making the ambiance ideal. Friendly service. Nothing too much trouble for the staff, always willing to go that extra mile to make your dining perfect. Our first visit but most certainly not our last. Would recommend to one and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday roastSnoozanDined on 9/2/2014The staff made you feel very welcome they were all very polite and could not do enough for you. The food was lovely we had Stilton and broccoli soup to start which was possibly the best soup I have tasted the only reason I gave the food four stars was due to the veg being a little undercooked for my liking but other than that we had a wonderful time, a lovely meal and some fantastic ale we will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch + festive menuannaDined on 29/12/2013I'm hard to please with food, and the Griffin managed it - well done to them. I'll be going again. I'm generally dairy-free, except for basic margarine in cooking and hard cheese more restaurants need to provide alternatives to dairy (eg sunflower margarine and soya milk) and greater creativity with desserts - or use margarine to make pastry/sponge rather than butter. I do appreciate the limited requirements for dairy alternatives - but it could be a good advertising point, and sunflower margarine is available in little portions as with butter.Special Features:
- Sunday (evening) Lunch.LoznBazDined on 8/12/2013Love the overall setting and atmosphere of the Pub/Restaurant. Only marked the Ambience down slightly on this occasion as the restaurant was very quiet (cold sunday evening close to Xmas!). To their credit the staff had set us up a table in one of the smaller more cosy rooms - a very nice thought we felt! The service was outstanding throughout and the food was varied in choice and very well prepared and served. Pleasantly surprised when the bill arrived so overall very satisfied. We will certainly be visiting again. Thank You!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely country pubDrjulesDined on 7/12/2013I chose the Griffin for a family birthday meal. The staff were welcoming, warm and friendly and made the visit memorable. Great food at very reasonable prices, with some good veggie options. Lovely atmosphere. I have already recommended it to a couple of friends and will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- See for yourselfAsh84Dined on 30/11/2013Top food and venue, in fact I'm due to have my wedding venue here next augustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, wonderfulKatieRabbitDined on 27/11/2013Excellent service, wonderful food, great ambience, will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Griffin Inn Swithland reviews archive.
- Sunday LunchCDVttDined on 10/11/2013Had the roast beef - Excellent quality and portions. Good range of real ale. Very pleasant staff. A real shame we live so far away !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice but a bit rushedSusieDined on 26/10/2013Cannot fault the service, very attentive staff. Unfortunately two items were no longer available one if which I had chosen so a little disappointed. The only downside was there was no gap between the starter and main courses so did not enjoy main as much as felt full and rushed. Whether it was because the restaurant was not too busy and the chef wanted to finish up we shall never know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeJleicsDined on 6/9/2013First time eating at the griffin, location is great and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as special as the price suggestBrightstoneladyDined on 30/8/2013Food was alright but it was over priced for what you get.Special Features:
- celebrationsEatYourGreensDined on 27/8/2013I booked a table to celebrate birthdays and graduations. It was midweek. The service was excellent, very friendly and welcoming. We had a small baby with us and the atmosphere was relaxed which helped him too! Food was great, one member even got extra chilli dip with out having to ask!! Desserts arrived with beautifully decorated plates for each celebration. The evening was un-rushed, (there were other diners in) and neither were we ignored. Great! evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picturesque Setting - Great foodMissusLizDined on 26/8/2013We came to check out The Griffin as a potential venue for a birthday party. The staff were really helpful even though they were clearly busy. They took the time to show us options for the possible future birthday lunch. The food was very tasty - especially the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchSimonbDined on 28/7/2013Wife and I went to the Griffin for Sunday lunch last week. Being traditionalists we normally stick to the traditional roast, leg of lamb for me and sirloin for the wife. We both enjoyed our meat which was accompanied by roast potato, tiny new potato, yorkshire and a side of veg (soaking in a garlic butter, great for me, not so for the wife) together with a lovely gravy although we did have to ask for extra. On the down side the meal took a time a coming, about half an hour and the drinks were very expensive. I had a very nice cider but at £4 a pint I wasn't impressed and thought £2.50ish for a lemon and lime over the top. Luckily the food made up for the cost of the drinks!Special Features:
- Fantastic Sunday LunchBirthdayBoyDined on 28/7/2013Booked a table for Sunday lunch on my 40th Birthday. Lovely venue with lots of outdoor seating & indoors is very well presented. Very friendly staff with excellent levels of service. The Sunday lunch was exceptionally good. The beef and lamb was excellent with a nice selection of seasonal vegetables. Big homemade Yorkshire puddings and the meat gravy was delicious. Dessert was nice, I had lemon tart, (they gave me a free one with `Happy Birthday` written in chocolate sauce - a very nice touch). The Griffin is in a lovely area with Bradgate Park and Swithland Woods not far away. Take the family or just have a nice meal for 2. Very impressed and thought it was well worth the money. Good for bike riders as well. All in all very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be coming againKris4689Dined on 15/6/2013First time to The Griffin, went with friends who have eaten there before, on their recommendation I had Ham, Egg and Chips. Superb, the ham was plenty, two eggs, lovely chips and salad. In fact I couldnt finish it all, the portion size was very generous. Will be coming back.Special Features:
- Always excellentrossidiningDined on 13/4/2013We have been dining at the Griffin for the last 6 years and it never disappoints. The staff are always friendly and the food is consistently good. There has been a great deal invested in this venue and it shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- short notice.localDined on 3/4/2013we booked with very little notice but staff were obliging, even when we arrived a little earlier than intended. A varied specials selection and main menu choices that had something for the three of us. The waiter was smiling, welcoming and obliging. Can't fault the service, sizeof portions or selection. Food prepared nicely, tasty and good value. Add a couple of pints of hte local brew, what more could you want!Special Features:
- An excellent meal with jovialMartinDined on 3/4/2013An excellent meal with jovial service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great food, friendly staffCathyandCraigDined on 2/4/2013A really good variety of very good food, served in a relaxed and cosy space by friendly staff. Would definitely recommend. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the barman who told us that we were the only people booked to eat in the restaurant - but that we could either have the place to ourselves or eat in the very warm & welcoming looking bar area, which had a few groups of regulars in it, but still plenty of space. The food was excellent - and served in generous portions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of information disappointedfoodhunterDined on 1/4/2013Having booked on line for lunch on Easter Monday, when we arrived the menu was a severely cut down version of what had appeared online. No mention was made on the website that there would be only an 'everything with chips' menu on the day nor was there any sign in the restaurant when we arrive that the specials board was off limits until we were seated and the available menu presented. Such a disappointment!! We had chosen this restaurant to take my 85 year old mother out to lunch to as we had not visited before and the menu looked good. There are many other places around that we had been to before and enjoyed but were looking forward to eating here as other reviewers had obviously enjoyed their visit. Not this time I'm afraid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming & TastyGandMDined on 23/3/2013On a snowy winters evening the Griffin had a welcoming & homely feel. There was a good, varied choice on the menu & the food was not just tasty it was beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Let down by servicedinaDined on 15/3/2013Overall our party were fairly satisfied. Food was good and well presented, though quite expensive for what we received. The worst aspect was the service. Several people had meals with vegetables which did not arrive until several minutes after the main course had been served, by which time it was getting cold. The service in general was not good and we were not offered coffee, although there was a big party in at the time.
- Excellent restauranthotrods75Dined on 10/3/2013First time I had visited this area for a meal, wanted to treat mum for mothers day. Already had a booking, we were greeted as soon as we arrived and seated straight away, waiter extremley polite and took order within 10 minutes. We had a 3 course meal all courses beautifully presented and no long waits inbetween courses even though the retaurant was busy, waiters cleared tables quickly. They definatley deserved the tips I seen in their tip pot on the bar! This definatley is a restaurant i will return too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyColaDined on 9/3/2013Had a lovely meal on a cold afternoon. Bit pricey on some of the mains but, food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply - a great meal, a greatPaulDined on 23/2/2013Simply - a great meal, a great atmosphere - well pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePlugStudDined on 23/2/2013Wanted somewhere to take our daughter for a meal and to catch up. Lovely atmosphere, super service and great food. What more could you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant experienceLuvagoodbiteDined on 27/1/2013The Griffin offers a welcoming atmosphere, and serves well cooked food to order. The service is efficient, friendly and attentive, and represents excellent value for money. I have been several times for Sunday lunch, and have always been very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had alovely time, was madecasrod23Dined on 23/1/2013we had alovely time, was made to feel most welcome and the food was lovely.Very homlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableDigiDavid10Dined on 13/1/2013Greeted with a very warm welcome. Although apologetic as they had been drunk dry of Prosecco but offered an acceptable alternative. Service was friendly and prompt with the food served very nicely. If only we lived nearer this friendly pub would be our local.Special Features:
- I have had Breakfast,lunchilly68Dined on 12/1/2013I have had Breakfast,lunch & dinner here over the period of time i have visited The Griffin and i have always been served excellant food with very warm and friendly staff.I love coming here as it is my escapism from the town.They have a fab function & restaurant venue for the larger parties would be great for any occasion.One of my favourite places to dine in the beautiful surroundings of Swithland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with the MatriarchMike943Dined on 30/12/2012The service and friendliness of staff was beyond measure and we were most grateful as we had our 96 year old mother with us. Whilst waiting just a few minutes, we heard a small group of customers commenting on their umpteenth visit and were obviously very satisfied customers. Our only criticism was of small measures of vegetables - one dish for three people, the same size dish at the next table where there were four persons. We did not, and probably should have, ask for more. The staff were very busy but still very attentive to us. The dish included potatoes and whilst we know a lot of vegetables are often thrown away, we felt that a review of the restaurant policy may be called for. Otherwise, we were very pleased,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.