Grill on the Hill
Blackburn, BB2 7NPNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Grill on the Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stanleyhouse.co.uk/
- Phone: 01254769200
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British, French
- Executive Chef: Steve Williams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Wheelchair Access
A word from Grill on the Hill
Grill on the Hill which will offer informal dining at its very best, featuring an eclectic and extensive selection of Great British favourites alongside traditional French classics and grillsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Grill on the Hill - Best restaurants in Darwen ›
Grill on the Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since 3 June 2014
special occasions (19)fit for foodies (14)romance (13)sunday lunch (13)afternoon tea (6)brunch (5)disabled access (4)business meals (4)outstanding value (3)group bookings (3)good vegetarian options (2)outdoor eating (1)child friendly (1)Show More
- martinlovesdessertsDined on 9/8/2014quality of food very nice but lacking the je ne sais quoi we have experienced on previous visits. For example I love desserts but there was a choice of only 4 plus cheese board and nothing that was appealing or special so I did without. Previously the chef had done a trio of different desserts that was lovely. Similar could be said of the mains as well - nothing extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningsarahgDined on 26/7/2014We went to Stanley House for the first time on Saturday evening. We were there to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. The room was stunning, the staff were marvelous and the food was absolutely wonderful. Thank you for helping to make our celebration one to remember.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerpandagirlDined on 19/6/2014Had dinner here. Three of us. Pleasant and polite staff. Food was good. Would recommend the surf and turf. Not cheap but standard of food was worth it. Was quite quite because of the World Cup but this meant that we could chat easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticklang1989Dined on 14/6/2014Exquisite food, (and decent portions), a lovely atmosphere and exceptional service.Special Features:
- Happy AnniversarytwooldtimersDined on 18/5/2014The meal was as enjoyable as usual. For a special occasion it is a beautiful venue with good food and excellent service . It was lovely to spend our anniversary in such a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a lovely settingJamesDined on 27/4/2014My wife & I went for the Sunday lunch. The dining room looks fantastic, the staff were friendly and welcoming, and it wasn't overly crowded. The food then more than matched the surroundings - the lamb stuffed with tomatoes as a main course was outstanding. Although we did feel the courses were rattled out quickly (we had to ask for the desserts to be held back because we were feeling overwhelmed), the overall quantity as well as quality left us with an impression of fantastic value-for-money. This could easily have been a 5* review, and it's only nit-picking on my behalf that it isn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchRosieDined on 30/3/2014This was a truly lovely experience due to first and foremost the excellent quality of the food. The table was in a lovely spot by the window, stunning views and plenty of space around it. Great service, attentive and friendly. Overall couldn't really have asked for more and will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place, excellent food,cdtin05Dined on 2/3/2014Lovely place, excellent food, outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!MkellyDined on 15/2/2014We visited on 15th February for my Dad's 60th birthday. Everything from the wine and food (best steak we'd all ever had) and service was spot on. The lovely touch of a birthday card on the table for him from Stanley house was a lovely touch. Beautiful food, great service. We had a really nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill on The Hill = TerriblePhillyboyBDined on 15/2/2014If you think of going do yourself a favour, don't bother. In a nutshell the service was slow, staff rude/discourteous, menu selection poor, food over priced and very under par. I would never go back to this restaurant and would advise all others to avoid like the plague.
- eat elsewherefoodjunkieDined on 24/1/2014Food was pricey; small portions presented well but only just warm. Waitress forgot bread and couldn't control guests' children running around. No atmosphere and not much ambience. Don't choose here for a romantic or special occassion as it will disappoint. Was never given a refill of water. Glad to eat and go; can't vouch for the desserts as although we read the menu, there was nothing on it that we fancied and they were also too expensive. There are far better restaurants around. We won't be going back and nor we will be recommending this restaurant. It was an expensive disappointment.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodEddie26Dined on 19/1/2014we had Sunday lunch on our first visit to Stanley House and I have got to say we where not dissapointed. The food was wonderful and the whole venue is very opulent. Though the price at £25 is not cheap it is excellent value when you count the 3 courses and tea or coffee and the food quality and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentJackie1Dined on 3/1/2014We eat here quite frequently, my daughter had her wedding reception here. The staff are so welcoming and friendly and so accomodating, attentive without hovering, just perfect. I know my dining experience will always be perfect at Stanley House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experience ourLeemingDined on 15/12/2013Lovely dining experience our family love coming to the grill on the hill for family events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service without a smile!Foodie6Dined on 16/11/2013Excellent food was let down by a very poor ambience, staff was abrupt and standoffish . Trying to converse with the staff taking drinks orders or food choices was a waste of time. We were beginning to think they were zombies. Eating out most Saturdays in a wide variety of restaurants we decided to mention this to the lady taking our payment. She did not apologise for the lack of friendliness but sited a bereavement in the family of one of the waitresses as a reason for the service without even a hint of a smile! The front of house staff are doing the chef a disservice!Special Features:
- Absolutely Stunningaph485Dined on 27/10/2013I decided to take my partner out for his birthday and invited my mother also. We had a wonderful appetiser of foie gras rossini which was absolutely delicious followed by chicken and mushroom liver parfait, this melted in the mouth. For our main courses my mother and I had the herwick lamb rack which was stunning, my partner had the roast beef, he couldn't believe how tender it was. My partner had sticky toffee which said rounded off the afternoon. The staff were attentive but not overbearing. A wonderful afternoon had by all. Having had spa stays there recently we knew we could expect to have a great day, this was most certainly the case and I most surely can recommend that you go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place with great foodSwerveDined on 11/10/2013We had dinner for two and the evening was perfect. The only small problem we had was being able to see the menu in the subdued lighting, but nevertheless, we managed and had an incredible meal and experience. We shall definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked a table for two withMikeSDined on 5/10/2013I booked a table for two with the aim of having a special meal. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the restaurant was perfectly set. The service was excellent and the food well presented, good quality and overall the meal was well worth the final bill. The only down side to the evening (which isn't a restaurant issue) was that we had to fight our way through a crowd of smokers to get both in and out of the hotel. We had to dodge glasses left on the floor too. Perhaps the hotel should consider an alternative area for smokers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 84 reviews are from the Grill on the Hill reviews archive.
- highly recommenddawnanddesDined on 28/6/2013Even though this is a 45 minute drive, 3rd visit for us, each time has been fabulous and with the 20% off voucher just within price range but worth every penny. We had the beef Wellington for 2, good value as you get all vegetables which where absolutely delicious 2 sauces and potatoes included. Beautiful setting , attentive, knowledgeable and friendly staff, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Dawn , bury, LancashireSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outHoraceDined on 8/6/2013Excellent food and service. Wines are a bit pricey. Can't wait to to go back :-)Special Features:
- Saturday nightPianoman1Dined on 8/6/2013After having visited this venue on a number of occasions, and being very impressed, unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the menu and food quality on Saturday. In the past all dishes were delicious and exciting to the eye, this was not the case last weekend. It will need to up its game for me to return.Special Features:
- Grill on the HillCazza73Dined on 25/5/2013Great food, especially the shared Beef Wellington! Cooked perfectly, still pink and all the trimmings. I recommended this to our friends and they thought we would be disappointed, especially when it came to steak. We are very picky!! Everyone one left with huge smiles on their faces, very contented. we will definitely be coming again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Quality!Foodie80Dined on 20/4/2013We went for a meal to celebrate my mother’s birthday, we found the staff inviting and friendly and the standard of food was excellent. I would highly recommend this venue and will certainly be visiting again.Special Features:
- Fantastic!P3TMPDined on 9/3/2013Hard to find a restaurant this good without travelling into Manchester. The whole dining experience was a joy; Mothers Day treat! Talking of treats the dessert are something else, try to leave room for one if you can! They are a work of art, and taste amazing and I'm not really a dessert kind of person. I will certainly be returning to The Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Classfood4funDined on 7/3/2013Lovely relaxed atmosphere, lots of lovely choices in the menu. Food and service did not disappoint at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Eager StaffMrsLongtonDined on 17/2/2013Sunday lunch menu at £25 was excellent, a real treat. The food was faultless and the service excellent. The only little niggle was that the restaurant was very quiet so it felt like there was a slight lack in atmosphere and almost like we had to whisper. The service, whilst very efficient and friendly was a little overbearing at times with a waiter stood right by our table watching for when we finished out last bite to take our plates. We had to ask them to slow the courses down as we felt a bit rushed. Having said that we went for a food experience and I would consider going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star food with 5 star service!LisayDined on 9/2/2013My husband and I normally go to Nutters for a special occasion, however, had heard some really good reviews about Grill On The Hill so decided to try it. We were not disappointed! There was plenty of choice on the menu, and it tasted absolutely delicious! I had wood pigeon to start with followed by surf and turf and an amazing raspberry "conversation" dessert which was incredible. The service was impeccable, we were greeted on arrival, and the waitress was attentive and friendly. The food arrived promptly and we were left to eat at our leisure and didn't feel rushed in the slightest. Cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant EveningOL1V3RDined on 14/12/2012Enjoyed our meal. Food was good Wine nice but more expensive by the glass than any of the other restaurants we have visited. Nicely decorated Would return and reccommend to a friend IF a 20% off offer is on, with this discount it brings the bill down to a more reasonable figure - inline with restaurants such as the Duke of York at Grindleton which I believe offers the same high standard of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thrill on the HillDow44Dined on 6/12/2012Not even the heavy downpour could cool the exstreemly warm welcome we recieved from both reception and restaurant staff.The waiter service was attentitive and humourus.Food had been expertly prepared and staff were always on hand to take any drinks order. Superb surroundings A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no complaints everything wasdontgetoutDined on 23/11/2012no complaints everything was good , even the 20% discount we gotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far exceeds our expectationsrogbrowDined on 11/11/2012We had a really good sunday lunch, with the whole dining experience far exceeding our expectations. Well prepared food that looked really good on the plate and excellent service and surroundings combined to make our sunday lunch a real pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill on the hIllMrsSlocomesPussyDined on 10/11/2012Lovely meal and the restaurant has a great feel about it since it was re vamped. Service was quick and professional, maybe a bit too quick as soon as our starters had gone the main meal was there! Steaks were tender and tasty, Venison sausage was delicious. The Pistachio Souffle desert was perfect. Large and light with a lovely chocolate sauce. We had a 20% off voucher so the meal was tremendous value. My only criticism was the wines are a little expensive with the cheapest bottle starting at £22. Otherwise great evening and will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryDarwendinerDined on 22/9/2012We went to Grill on the hill for our anniversary, but I will be heading back there soon. Its a great place with outstanding sevice and amazing food quality. Great to see a place like this doing well in the area, definitely what we have been crying out for. Re value...you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked to go to your restaurantSusieQDined on 15/9/2012I booked to go to your restaurant because I wanted to thank my guest for walking my dog every day for six weeks whilst I had a foot operation. It needed to be special and it was! He was over the moon with every aspect of the restaurant from the food, the service and the surrounding countryside. By the way, I felt the same!!! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time here.XxxxDined on 18/8/2012It was our first time here. My husband and I were celebrating our 12 year wedding anniversary and we weren't disappointed. Service from the outset was exceptional and there were many dishes that I would have loved to have tried, so the only option will be to go back soon and try the others I couldn't have this time!! We had 3 courses each and wine and the price was very reasonble. Will definitely be recommending this restaurant to my family and friends. Thank you for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!jackygDined on 18/8/2012Grill on the Hill at Stanley House is in the most beautiful setting. The views all the way round are wonderful and just add to the all round atmosphere. The service is first class, very attentive without being annoying! Everything on the menu is superb...we have never been disappointed. There is plenty of choice in food and price, which is important! Last year we were a party of 6 for a birthday celebration and the service was just as excellant, as was the food. One of our party has gluten intolerance and the staff could not have been more helpful. We will always choose the Grill on the Hill for every occasion! Mustn't forget that the wine list is comprehensive and the wine waiter knowlegable and helpful. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and serviceLive2eatDined on 17/8/2012Our birthday celebration meal at the Grill on the Hill was an outstanding success, starting with a birthday card waiting on the table (a very nice touch) and moving through three great courses with a good wine. Dishes were adventurous with interesting concepts, perfectly cooked and imaginatively presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fabulous!cherubDined on 4/8/2012This is by far one of the most wonderful places I have had the pleasure of dining in for a long, long time. From the moment we arrived we were looked after perfectly. The staff were smartly dressed and made our meal extra special by their attentiveness. There was plenty of choice on the menu - so much so that it was hard to make a decision! And when the food arrived it was a treat for all the senses! It was beautifully presented and the flavours were a delight to behold. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Thank you for making my husband's birthday so special. Just one small criticism. It is hard to find the way to the restaurant from the car park through lack and incorrect signage.The old sign for "Cassis" is still there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best around.ShaunHDined on 28/7/2012I went here for a birthday celebration meal and was thoroughly impressed. Booked online with no problem which was very good, as I had tried to book at other establishments only to be told that they didn't take bookings for parties of less than 6 people. The service was excellent, the staff are attentive but not constanly hovering around the tables. The food was well cooked and the presentation was excellent. The atmosphere was very relaxed with diners of a varied age range and differing group sizes. I will be booking again and would reccommend the Grill on the Hill, especially when they have special promotions on such as the 20% discount which makes it excellent value for money. I would challenge anyone to find a better restaurant locally.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurant .. StaffJuleswaltonDined on 14/7/2012Lovely restaurant .. Staff were extremely attentive without being too overpowerin. Beautiful surrounding. Food was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.