Corner of Drury Lane
London, WC2B 5PWNeighbourhood:
BrazilianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.guanabara.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072428600x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 3am
Sunday: 5pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night
A word from Guanabara
With its passion for music and full-on flavours, Guanabara has brought the best of Brazil to London’s Drury Lane. With two bars and a huge circular dance floor, it’s no surprise that this vibrant venue stays busy and bustling until the early hours. As well as showcasing hot new Brazilian bands and DJs, Guanabara also offers a taste of the various cooking styles from across the country. Start with snacks like cassava chips and chicken wings, then move on to something from the grill or the traditional feijoada (a hearty Brazilian stew with black beans, smoked pork and salt beef). Wash it all down with a bold South American wine or one of their excellent cocktails, made with exotic fruit flown in from Amazonian eco-farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Guanabara reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since 22 October 2013
group bookings (54)special occasions (42)pre/post theatre (16)outstanding value (11)fit for foodies (8)romance (7)good vegetarian options (6)business meals (4)disabled access (1)child friendly (1)sunday lunch (1)outdoor eating (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Review purely on dining!!!rzileDined on 17/10/2014We dined at 9pm on a Friday night! Bad idea... Basically it's dining in a club environment! You can't be heard and you can't hear anyone! Couldn't see the menu or the food you are eating without the aid of a phone flashlight and overall not my idea of dining out! There was no condiments on the table and the menu was sopping wet from probably a prior spillage! With that said my fried sea bass on risotto was served piping hot and looked and tasted good! & the Mojito was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday celebrations!Food4thoughtDined on 17/10/2014We dined here for my sisters birthday at the weekend. The venue is very nice, good happy hours and tasty food, but it is definately a shame about their staff. The cloakroom boy (bare in mind he's one of the first people you meet in the venue) started us off on a bad foot with his TERRIBLE attitude and person skills. Then our waitress had quite a chip on her shoulder for the entire evening as well - maybe we should of requested a different waitress in hindsight. Nonetheless, we didn't let a bunch of moody staff ruin our night and we had a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun evening out!F5CharlieDined on 15/10/2014Highly recommend the Wednesday circus cabaret, it's brilliant. The food is good (the chorizo with cheese bread starter is utterly delicious), cooked well with generous portions. We had a couple of cocktails each which were all superb plus we had them during happy hour which made them an utter bargain. However the house white was pretty ropey! There were a few hen parties and birthdays on the night I visited but the way that the room was set out meant that the raucous parties didn't take over the whole room in the way that they do in some bars. It was actually quite spacious, a real luxury in London restaurants. Overall a really fun evening with nice food & wonderful entertainment at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- BrilliantfinedineDined on 3/10/2014Food was amazing, staff were very accommodating. The place has a lovely atmosphere, which is great as we were there fir birthday celebrations. Would definitely be going back, in fact I plan to go back!Special Features:
- FunShanDined on 3/10/2014Such a good place to go with your girls. Eat food, drink cocktails, dance the night away and then watch some brazillian dancing. Good funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun time but...foodieDined on 1/10/2014I wanted a fun unusual dining experience so went for the Wed show with dinner...the show was great and the place has definitely changed over the years so I was happy....however, bill came to a surprise which the waiter did not explain upfront that there was no choice with the set menu and regardless whether we ordered the 'set' drinks we have to pay for it! The waiter tricked us into ordering a different drink right at the start so we paid extra £20 for nothing and he then pushed very hard into getting tips at the end...it really doesn't leave a good impression to the customers...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, loud, nice staffLuubyDined on 24/9/2014The male staff are all lovely. I asked a female staff passing my table for a fork to eat my already delivered dessert with, and she nodded but did not deliver. I asked another male staff about 10 minutes later and he brought it out immediately. I asked for medium rare steak and the food came out extremely rare. Luckily for me i do like rare, but this was verging on still moo'ing, so anyone a bit squeamish with blue steak should beware. The music gets louder and louder so this is definitely a fun group place to go, and do not expect to have much conversation over dinner unless you are screaming at each other. Over all a really fun restaurant.Special Features:
- Ideal for War HorselizhDined on 23/9/2014Despite reviews to the contrary, we found the food on the fixed menu was delicious - well cooked and tasty and speedily served (one of the party managed to get her meal completed in 20 minutes flat). The ambience at 6.00pm is very strange - cavernous space and red lighting is unusual for a specifically dining experience! Music was fun and not too loud to talk. Caipirinhas were delicious and made a fun addition to the set menu. Beware that you have to book ahead and specify you want the special menu price if you are there for the pre-theatre deal - not mentioned on open table website - but they did let us have the discounted price after some discussion. Couldn't be closer or more convenient for a 7.00pm start at the New London Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great entertainment - food no goodFishfaceDined on 12/9/2014Staff were lovely, service good and ambience great. Food was terrible! Friend couldn't eat chorizo as so hard and chewy...fish dish was tastless with other friend and my chicken was slimy..only good thing were chips! I love this place for its music and va va voom but won't eat there againSpecial Features:
- HappyDinnerDined on 3/9/2014A fun resturant. Loved the Wednesday circus show and happy hour cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dmj2014Dined on 20/8/2014We had great fun at Guanabara because of the music, the entertainment and the cocktails. The food was pretty bad so next time we would probably eat somewhere else and go to Guanabara to dance. Was lots of fun. If you want great food, this isnt the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- promising eveningTspencerDined on 20/8/2014Looked promising but took too long between sitting and first order being taken. Would recommend for a group outing but the show could have started an hour earlier and interlude of 30 minutes or more was too long for an hour show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only one hour and a half timeMarie38Dined on 16/8/2014It was unfortunate that we had the table only during an hour and a half and we didn't know, so we didn't even have time to eat.... but everything else was greatSpecial Features:
- have a brazilliantuckmystirVIPDined on 14/8/2014Outstanding service helpful, friendly and efficient. Tasty generous portions food and alcohol. It is loud so don't go if you want a quiet chat but if want to be transported to Brazil buzzing atmosphere and are up for dancing any night of the week go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodNFieldDined on 12/8/2014We went on a Tuesday which is probably not the best night as this place is clearly a dinner-drink-party-dance place rather than a restaurant. I had king prawns for starter which was amazing and beef on skewers for main, which was okay, but maybe a little fatty and had a weird coating of some sort. Value was amazing though! We came during happy hour and it was £5 off bottles of wine as well as the half priced menu through OpenTable. We will come again on a more lively night, where we are not the only diners in the large venue.Special Features:
- Circus vibesVeeWowDined on 6/8/2014Took my boyfriend after going with friends. The first time I had the cheese bread it was amazing. The second time it was served cold so was rubbery. My sea bass risotto was really well cooked. It had it both times and would definitely have it again. My boyfriend had Brazilian stew but said it tasted fishy. Happy hour is until 8 which is great but we couldn't taste or feel any effects from our 3 ice teas. Tasted really sugary like a mix. They do some nice cocktails though. The show itself is a must see, really talented amazing acts. Well worth the money. We booked a deal with open table, fantastic value for money. The servers were all great. Very friendly and professional. I would definitely recommend for the show alone!Special Features:
- Health and Safety concerndancingqueenDined on 2/8/2014I love the club due to the carnival atmosphere generated. However, I am concerned as to the amount of people being admitted. The amount of people admitted on Saturday night was more than double than what the venue can actually hold. This is a health and safety concern in that should an emergency arise such as a fire, there will be a stampede whereby people will be crushed and trampled underfoot as the strong seek a speedy escape. I therefore urge management to review its admissions and capacity to ensure the safety and well-being of its clientele. The venue is great but not having room to manoeuvre takes away from the experience.Special Features:
- Overall an enjoyable eveninglivetoeatDined on 22/7/2014Service was great to start with, really attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The food was also good. We had tasty Salt cod croquettes to start followed but equally yummy prawn and coconut curry. The deserts were a little dissappointing. Slightly strange textured creme caramel and chocolate truffle cake! The service was slightly more lax later on but still fine. The restaurant was very empty so not the best atmos although lots of great tunes were played.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively & great fun!Beth677Dined on 12/7/2014We had a brilliant night here. It's quite dark and loud for diners so don't go expecting to be able to have a great conversation but we were surprised by how good the food was. Both our starter & main course were delicious. The really star of the show here though is the music and the atmosphere. It is impossible not to have fun. The live acts are fantastic and the DJ plays a non-stop feel good mix that just makes you want to dance all night. The dancefloor was packed with people of all ages (there were a couple of hen parties in with aunties & mums in tow & they were having as much fun as the younger crowd without looking out of place.) It felt very welcoming and inclusive and is just a brilliant place to let your hair down whoever you are!Special Features:
- Early dinner...critiqueDined on 9/7/2014Could easily have stayed longer, lovely atmosphere. Would visit again for a longer night.
- Great funMarkVIPDined on 2/7/2014Great fun with the show, the food was perfectly acceptable (not outstanding), and you get the best seats in the house if you eat. Would go gain.Special Features:
- WOW!!! AmazingJay2012Dined on 22/6/2014Never heard of this place before, used the 50% Opentable offer which was really good value, the music and atmosphere were electric and really got us in the mood, the service was good and we are coming back next week!!!Special Features:
- Amazing!KateKateDined on 7/6/2014Good food, good music and great atmosphere especially with a group of friendsSpecial Features:
- Dinner with the girlsFrankieGDined on 7/6/2014We had a lovely girls night out the food and music was wonderful. The staff are friendly and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alkagalkaDined on 5/6/2014Excellent food, nice location. Do not plan to have a conversation there - it is not made for it.Special Features:
- Great value, fun, pre-theatre foodCharrismoDined on 28/5/20142-for-1 drinks during happy hour (5pm - 8pm) plus half price food made this a great value option, which was perfectly located next to the New London Theatre (where Warhorse is currently showing). It was a bit quiet when we first got there but it started to fill up fairly quickly and we could see that it would be fun if we had chosen to stay rather than go to the theatre. Great service and the waiter really took care to help us choose food and also offer us tips on where to go in Brazil when we're next there - thanks Bruno!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere but slow serviceASMSDined on 22/5/2014Wanted to try something different so my cousin and I booked Guanabara as we had never been to a Brazilian restaurant/bar. The food and atmosphere was good, and we will probably come back for a night out in the near future. However, the service was very slow and they were not even busy with people who were eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hen Party HeavenJojospiceDined on 17/5/2014Hmm...food was ok, entertainment was ok, service was not brilliant. Nothing really special about this restaurant. A friend i was dining with is allergic to peppers so we asked if the chicken skewered kebabs could come without peppers. They said no as they were already made up! We then asked if they could removed the peppers before cooking. They said no! Simple request really. They give you the table for an hour and a half. Which when you're drinking wine and wanting more than one course is nowhere near enough time and the waiter was getting stroppy with us when we were still sat there drinking our cocktails at the end of our hour and a half.Special Features:
- Phenomenal FunMmmmmDined on 8/5/2014With the 50% off, and happy hour drinks (2 for 1) outstanding value, and I've not had that much fun in a decade!
- Great ambience. Poor foodFoodie2ldnDined on 3/5/2014Went with my boyfriend. The atmosphere was good with the Latin infused music and the percussionist playing the bongos. However, the food was oily and very salty and not worth the price.
- Great atmosphere!KenimoDined on 30/4/2014Really nice decor with wagamama style benches surrounding the 'dance' floor. Had a free (too strong!) cocktail on arrival as part of opentable. the fruit punch was good though. Croquette starters were very average and if you get some kind of steak for main make sure you ask for a bit well done if you're not keen on chewing raw meat! Fries and salad and chicken skewers were good. And as for the entertainment...great!! We went on a Wednesday evening which apparently is the best night. Free before 9, £5 after. Such a variety of great acts... burlesque, samba dances, contortionist, football tricks, and other random greatness! Will definitety go back again, in a group is prob best. Pricey food unless 50%off. But all entertainment free, bargain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!KK2013Dined on 19/4/2014We were a party size of 7 and our waitress really took care of us. The evening was fun and filled with much entertainment and shows. Must visit for a group night out and plenty of dancing.Special Features:
- Tasty foodMal1Dined on 18/4/2014Had chicken skewers, salad and chips -- all v tasty. Would be nice to have an option of chips or rice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!beinggabrielDined on 17/4/2014The menu is interesting and diverse, as is the drinks collection. Only criticism would be that service was a little rushed at times and the music got quite loud but, depending on the reason for the visit, this could add to the ambience.Special Features:
- Great meal, nice place.FantizmoDined on 17/4/2014Went here for pre theatre dinner for my anniversary. I'm very picky with my food but the veg option was nice. Hubby enjoyed his steak thoroughly and said it was the best service we have ever received. Probably helped that we were the only customers for the first 20 minutes of our meal. Only negative remarks is it is slightly dark and I would imagine gets quite loud and crowded in there later in the evening. Staff also need to remember to remain professional as our waitress was fantastic but when you're trying to enjoy a romantic dinner other staff should not be shouting SELFIE, taking photos, singing to amy winehouse at the top of their lungs and hump the stools.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningSimiDined on 10/4/2014I took my friend to Guanabara for his birthday and it was an excellent evening. The staff were really friendly, polite and accommodating so we were very relaxed. The food was good and the entertainment was even better, overall a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLindyLou12Dined on 26/3/2014I met 3 of my friends for dinner at Guanabara on a Wednesday evening. We all had 2 courses which only came to £19.95 each. The cocktails were on 2 for 1 offer and they were very lovely, you could definitely taste the alcohol in them !! The entertainment and atmosphere was outstanding for a Wednesday evening, would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very exciting, but quite noisyBigMoBeerDined on 15/3/2014Very exciting, but quite noisy venue. Food was fine, especially my steak. Floor show was good, but long-ish intervals between acts. Mainly women on dancefloor, which is OK. Cocktails were OK, but a wider choice of beer would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ValueDinerDined on 11/3/2014With the TT 50% off food promotion for early diners, a two course meal for two along with a happy hour £10 bottle of house wine results in under £15 per diner including the wine! However, they need to have a word with the DJ -- the usual sulky attention-seeking character who plagues nightclub venues --- who started his shift around 7 PM on Tuesday and immediately cranked the volume up to ludicrously high decibel levels (diners have to shout) despite it being an absolutely empty venue save for one other table of diners. The DJ being an idiot was eventually rectified with lower volume (remember - it was an empty venue), with tranquillity restored.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a company eventBigfellaDined on 25/2/2014I'll go again for a company night out. Good atmosphere and music. Staff were very friendly and happy hour seemed to last more than 1 hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.