Corner of Drury Lane
London, WC2B 5PWNeighborhood:
BrazilianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.guanabara.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072428600x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 3am
Sunday: 5pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night
A word from Guanabara
With its passion for music and full-on flavours, Guanabara has brought the best of Brazil to London’s Drury Lane. With two bars and a huge circular dance floor, it’s no surprise that this vibrant venue stays busy and bustling until the early hours. As well as showcasing hot new Brazilian bands and DJs, Guanabara also offers a taste of the various cooking styles from across the country. Start with snacks like cassava chips and chicken wings, then move on to something from the grill or the traditional feijoada (a hearty Brazilian stew with black beans, smoked pork and salt beef). Wash it all down with a bold South American wine or one of their excellent cocktails, made with exotic fruit flown in from Amazonian eco-farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Guanabara reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since 5 May 2014
group bookings (45)special occasions (33)pre/post theatre (10)fit for foodies (8)outstanding value (7)good vegetarian options (5)romance (5)business meals (4)disabled access (1)child friendly (1)sunday lunch (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Dmj2014Dined on 20/8/2014We had great fun at Guanabara because of the music, the entertainment and the cocktails. The food was pretty bad so next time we would probably eat somewhere else and go to Guanabara to dance. Was lots of fun. If you want great food, this isnt the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- promising eveningTspencerDined on 20/8/2014Looked promising but took too long between sitting and first order being taken. Would recommend for a group outing but the show could have started an hour earlier and interlude of 30 minutes or more was too long for an hour show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only one hour and a half timeMarie38Dined on 16/8/2014It was unfortunate that we had the table only during an hour and a half and we didn't know, so we didn't even have time to eat.... but everything else was greatSpecial Features:
- have a brazilliantuckmystirVIPDined on 14/8/2014Outstanding service helpful, friendly and efficient. Tasty generous portions food and alcohol. It is loud so don't go if you want a quiet chat but if want to be transported to Brazil buzzing atmosphere and are up for dancing any night of the week go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodNFieldDined on 12/8/2014We went on a Tuesday which is probably not the best night as this place is clearly a dinner-drink-party-dance place rather than a restaurant. I had king prawns for starter which was amazing and beef on skewers for main, which was okay, but maybe a little fatty and had a weird coating of some sort. Value was amazing though! We came during happy hour and it was £5 off bottles of wine as well as the half priced menu through OpenTable. We will come again on a more lively night, where we are not the only diners in the large venue.Special Features:
- Circus vibesVeeWowDined on 6/8/2014Took my boyfriend after going with friends. The first time I had the cheese bread it was amazing. The second time it was served cold so was rubbery. My sea bass risotto was really well cooked. It had it both times and would definitely have it again. My boyfriend had Brazilian stew but said it tasted fishy. Happy hour is until 8 which is great but we couldn't taste or feel any effects from our 3 ice teas. Tasted really sugary like a mix. They do some nice cocktails though. The show itself is a must see, really talented amazing acts. Well worth the money. We booked a deal with open table, fantastic value for money. The servers were all great. Very friendly and professional. I would definitely recommend for the show alone!Special Features:
- Health and Safety concerndancingqueenDined on 2/8/2014I love the club due to the carnival atmosphere generated. However, I am concerned as to the amount of people being admitted. The amount of people admitted on Saturday night was more than double than what the venue can actually hold. This is a health and safety concern in that should an emergency arise such as a fire, there will be a stampede whereby people will be crushed and trampled underfoot as the strong seek a speedy escape. I therefore urge management to review its admissions and capacity to ensure the safety and well-being of its clientele. The venue is great but not having room to manoeuvre takes away from the experience.Special Features:
- Overall an enjoyable eveninglivetoeatDined on 22/7/2014Service was great to start with, really attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The food was also good. We had tasty Salt cod croquettes to start followed but equally yummy prawn and coconut curry. The deserts were a little dissappointing. Slightly strange textured creme caramel and chocolate truffle cake! The service was slightly more lax later on but still fine. The restaurant was very empty so not the best atmos although lots of great tunes were played.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively & great fun!Beth677Dined on 12/7/2014We had a brilliant night here. It's quite dark and loud for diners so don't go expecting to be able to have a great conversation but we were surprised by how good the food was. Both our starter & main course were delicious. The really star of the show here though is the music and the atmosphere. It is impossible not to have fun. The live acts are fantastic and the DJ plays a non-stop feel good mix that just makes you want to dance all night. The dancefloor was packed with people of all ages (there were a couple of hen parties in with aunties & mums in tow & they were having as much fun as the younger crowd without looking out of place.) It felt very welcoming and inclusive and is just a brilliant place to let your hair down whoever you are!Special Features:
- Early dinner...critiqueDined on 9/7/2014Could easily have stayed longer, lovely atmosphere. Would visit again for a longer night.
- Great funMarkVIPDined on 2/7/2014Great fun with the show, the food was perfectly acceptable (not outstanding), and you get the best seats in the house if you eat. Would go gain.Special Features:
- WOW!!! AmazingJay2012Dined on 22/6/2014Never heard of this place before, used the 50% Opentable offer which was really good value, the music and atmosphere were electric and really got us in the mood, the service was good and we are coming back next week!!!Special Features:
- Amazing!KateKateDined on 7/6/2014Good food, good music and great atmosphere especially with a group of friendsSpecial Features:
- Dinner with the girlsFrankieGDined on 7/6/2014We had a lovely girls night out the food and music was wonderful. The staff are friendly and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alkagalkaDined on 5/6/2014Excellent food, nice location. Do not plan to have a conversation there - it is not made for it.Special Features:
- Great value, fun, pre-theatre foodCharrismoDined on 28/5/20142-for-1 drinks during happy hour (5pm - 8pm) plus half price food made this a great value option, which was perfectly located next to the New London Theatre (where Warhorse is currently showing). It was a bit quiet when we first got there but it started to fill up fairly quickly and we could see that it would be fun if we had chosen to stay rather than go to the theatre. Great service and the waiter really took care to help us choose food and also offer us tips on where to go in Brazil when we're next there - thanks Bruno!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere but slow serviceASMSDined on 22/5/2014Wanted to try something different so my cousin and I booked Guanabara as we had never been to a Brazilian restaurant/bar. The food and atmosphere was good, and we will probably come back for a night out in the near future. However, the service was very slow and they were not even busy with people who were eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hen Party HeavenJojospiceDined on 17/5/2014Hmm...food was ok, entertainment was ok, service was not brilliant. Nothing really special about this restaurant. A friend i was dining with is allergic to peppers so we asked if the chicken skewered kebabs could come without peppers. They said no as they were already made up! We then asked if they could removed the peppers before cooking. They said no! Simple request really. They give you the table for an hour and a half. Which when you're drinking wine and wanting more than one course is nowhere near enough time and the waiter was getting stroppy with us when we were still sat there drinking our cocktails at the end of our hour and a half.Special Features:
- Phenomenal FunMmmmmDined on 8/5/2014With the 50% off, and happy hour drinks (2 for 1) outstanding value, and I've not had that much fun in a decade!
- Great ambience. Poor foodFoodie2ldnDined on 3/5/2014Went with my boyfriend. The atmosphere was good with the Latin infused music and the percussionist playing the bongos. However, the food was oily and very salty and not worth the price.
- Great atmosphere!KenimoDined on 30/4/2014Really nice decor with wagamama style benches surrounding the 'dance' floor. Had a free (too strong!) cocktail on arrival as part of opentable. the fruit punch was good though. Croquette starters were very average and if you get some kind of steak for main make sure you ask for a bit well done if you're not keen on chewing raw meat! Fries and salad and chicken skewers were good. And as for the entertainment...great!! We went on a Wednesday evening which apparently is the best night. Free before 9, £5 after. Such a variety of great acts... burlesque, samba dances, contortionist, football tricks, and other random greatness! Will definitety go back again, in a group is prob best. Pricey food unless 50%off. But all entertainment free, bargain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!KK2013Dined on 19/4/2014We were a party size of 7 and our waitress really took care of us. The evening was fun and filled with much entertainment and shows. Must visit for a group night out and plenty of dancing.Special Features:
- Tasty foodMal1Dined on 18/4/2014Had chicken skewers, salad and chips -- all v tasty. Would be nice to have an option of chips or rice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, nice place.FantizmoDined on 17/4/2014Went here for pre theatre dinner for my anniversary. I'm very picky with my food but the veg option was nice. Hubby enjoyed his steak thoroughly and said it was the best service we have ever received. Probably helped that we were the only customers for the first 20 minutes of our meal. Only negative remarks is it is slightly dark and I would imagine gets quite loud and crowded in there later in the evening. Staff also need to remember to remain professional as our waitress was fantastic but when you're trying to enjoy a romantic dinner other staff should not be shouting SELFIE, taking photos, singing to amy winehouse at the top of their lungs and hump the stools.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningSimiDined on 10/4/2014I took my friend to Guanabara for his birthday and it was an excellent evening. The staff were really friendly, polite and accommodating so we were very relaxed. The food was good and the entertainment was even better, overall a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLindyLou12Dined on 26/3/2014I met 3 of my friends for dinner at Guanabara on a Wednesday evening. We all had 2 courses which only came to £19.95 each. The cocktails were on 2 for 1 offer and they were very lovely, you could definitely taste the alcohol in them !! The entertainment and atmosphere was outstanding for a Wednesday evening, would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very exciting, but quite noisyBigMoBeerDined on 15/3/2014Very exciting, but quite noisy venue. Food was fine, especially my steak. Floor show was good, but long-ish intervals between acts. Mainly women on dancefloor, which is OK. Cocktails were OK, but a wider choice of beer would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ValueDinerDined on 11/3/2014With the TT 50% off food promotion for early diners, a two course meal for two along with a happy hour £10 bottle of house wine results in under £15 per diner including the wine! However, they need to have a word with the DJ -- the usual sulky attention-seeking character who plagues nightclub venues --- who started his shift around 7 PM on Tuesday and immediately cranked the volume up to ludicrously high decibel levels (diners have to shout) despite it being an absolutely empty venue save for one other table of diners. The DJ being an idiot was eventually rectified with lower volume (remember - it was an empty venue), with tranquillity restored.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a company eventBigfellaDined on 25/2/2014I'll go again for a company night out. Good atmosphere and music. Staff were very friendly and happy hour seemed to last more than 1 hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Brazilian atmosphereLovefoodVIPDined on 18/2/2014The 50% off food deal here was excellent, especially as we arrived during happy hour which meant 2-for-1 cocktails and beer! The food was really nice and the place is really cool - it seems it turns into a club most nights but unfortunately we didn't stay there very late. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- The circus Wednesdays!LiveLoveEatDined on 12/2/2014I've been going to Guanabara for dancing and boozing for a few years. I took my new boyfriend there on a Wednesday night to see the circus performances & some food & drinks. The performances included 1 samba, 2 burlesque, 1 male pole dancer and a capoeira show. All of these were entertaining but do not expect cirque de soleil! After all you are getting in for free! The rump steak main, chorico starter, glass of Malbec and some cocktails I ordered were good but not outstanding. The atmosphere was buzzing and fun as always. If you have no tolerance for being approached by men, then you might find the venue overbearing on Saturday nights. But if you're determined to let your hair down & have a good night, there's enough to help you with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get you in the Carnaval moodRoddersDined on 7/2/2014Amazing vibe, friendly and helpful staff! Food was very good!! Bit difficult to hear each other at times! But all in all, fun night out with a lot of variety! Dance show, live band and great DJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of funEmmielou30VIPDined on 7/2/2014I've only ever been to Guanabara for drinks before but have always loved the party atmosphere! I have recently booked a trip to South America with Rio my first port of call so this seemed the perfect place to celebrate! Happy Hour til 8 makes drinks very reasonable and the food was also reasonably priced. We shared a veggie platter for starters which was really good and I had a bean and rice concoction for main which was okay but came with delicious cheese bread. Our waitress was friendly enough but very slow with drinks. We ordered a mojito at about 7:45 but it didn't come to our table until about 8:15 and our waitress hovvered for the next 45 mins, keen to get us off the table for the next sitting. Slightly irritating!I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingmaiaDined on 1/2/2014I really love This place the atmosphere it's really Nice . Good food and service. Everything perfect. I will recommend toy friends.eSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightLatteDined on 29/1/2014Booked 30 mins before we turned up via top table. Got a great deal on the food and it's happy til 8. Added bonus was the entertainment. Have recommended to all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonDined on 28/1/2014The food was ok and authentic. Dance floor venue. The service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time at Guanabara andCalenaDined on 17/1/2014Third time at Guanabara and I have always had a good time. This was my first time dinning there though. Food was good but the service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening showsLazynativeDined on 15/1/2014Very good value for money on the food with 50% off nearly but the real attraction is the floor show, full or samba dancers, capoeira fighters and singers, amazing; not for the faint-hearted though as being Brazilian there is plenty of flesh on show.Special Features:
- great night out...kamalDined on 11/1/2014I really enjoyed the night and food was good, the music is great and the entertainment was good too...
- GuanabaraaussiedinerDined on 7/1/2014We were surprised at being bag and ID checked on entry, however, then realised it was also a dance club as well. Food was tasty and big portions as well as service being ok but a bit slow even with a small number of people there. Overall, good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.