157a Commercial Street
London, E1 6BJNeighbourhood:
SteakPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehawksmoor.com/
- Phone: 02074264850x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30-11:00pm (food available until 10.30pm)
(last bookings 10:15pm)
5:30pm-Midnight (food available until 10.30pm)
(last bookings 10:15pm)
12:00pm-Midnight (food available until 10.30pm)
(last bookings 10:15pm)
12:00-11:00pm (food available until 8.30pm)
(last bookings 8:45pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Burgers, Steak
- Executive Chef: Richard Turner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hawksmoor Spitalfields
Named after Nicholas Hawksmoor's Christchurch Spitalfields, just down the road, Hawksmoor Spitalfields opened in 2006 to rave reviews, reigniting London's love affair with steak. Hawksmoor Spitalfields is an unpretentious, quality obsessed steak house, serving exclusively British beef from traditional breeds, supplied by award winning butchers The Ginger Pig. The 115 cover restaurant also has an extensive wine list featuring favourite small producers and big vineyards alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Hawksmoor Spitalfields - Best restaurants in Spitalfields ›
Hawksmoor Spitalfields reviews from OpenTable diners
858 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (492)fit for foodies (407)business meals (339)sunday lunch (222)romance (221)group bookings (171)pre/post theatre (62)brunch (45)child friendly (29)outstanding value (24)outdoor eating (9)disabled access (7)afternoon tea (5)good vegetarian options (5)Show More
- Absolutely worth the tripLFGRDined on 16/9/2014On the one hand, the restaurant is a little bit far from central (touristic) London. On the other, most of the food was exceptional. The filet-side of the porterhouse and the sticky toffee pudding alone are worth the trip. The crab, the steak tartare, the veggies the rib-eye and the chocolate tart are also very good but a short step below. Fours and fives on all the food. Also, very good, prompt and friendly service. 100% recommendable.Special Features:
- Whats NOT to like...!!FoodieFanaticDined on 14/9/2014Travelling from Newcastle on the last three occasions we have dined here for Sunday lunch and dinner , having found both occasions to be of the highest quality, which you would like to expect but most seldom deliver. Staff were extremely attentive and informative giving you the feeling they truly wanted to make your dining experience as pleasant a possible....and they succeeded Looking forward to my next trip in a few weeks time......ps, gotta get the roasted Bone Marrow and onions ;-)Special Features:
- Super SteakAnnpDined on 12/9/2014Wow, Super food, very well cooked and served with a smile. We were celebrating an anniversary and the whole experience at the Hawksmoor was excellent from start to finish. I don't think I have ever been to a restaurant (and I've been to quite a few) where the staff were so knowledgable about their menu and so willing to help us choose. Everything was cooked to perfection and what was left on each plate was just the stains of the sauce. The ambience was outstanding as was the wine. It's not the cheapest place to eat but it is worth every penny. I would highly recommend a visit and I would definitely go again. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a £100 pp venuefootprintDined on 12/9/2014Liked the restaurant until we got the bill and we didn't go mad by any means. Overcrowded with too many tables jammed in so that the outside chair was continually getting bumped by waiters rushing past. For £100 each need something less frenetic
- Dreaming of HawksmoorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014Amazing food, amazing service. Been dreaming of a Hawksmoor fillet steak all weekend. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- I'd eat here everyday!AmericanBrit72Dined on 11/9/2014The front of house service was exceptional, seating efficient and this continued with our attentive waitress. My starter was bone marrow with onions...my first time with this particular dish and I was not disappointed, it was wonderful. My main course steak was cooked to perfection (trust me, I am very picky about how my steak is cooked), accompanying dishes and salad were just awesome. My sticky toffee pudding (from a non-toffee lover) was enough to make me adjust my opinion of the dessert. Plus the drinks, just excellent a purely heavenly evening for my stomach! The whole experience was above par and I would eat dinner here everyday.Special Features:
- Magical BurgersFood4thoughtDined on 11/9/2014If you get the chance to visit Hawksmoor for lunch, then I urge you to steer away from the (wonderful) steak offerings and order the magical Hawksmoor Burger (blue cheese optional but highly recommend!).... Coupled with triple cooked chips and an ice cold beer served in chilled glass tankard....... Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 10/9/2014Excellent food and outstanding service. The staff were all polite and helpful and our waiter, in particular, was very attentive, ensuring that we were well looked after throughout. He also advised us on what meats to order, given that we were a party of five with varying preferences! There are some caveats, however. I ordered fish (I know, I know, why have fish in a restaurant specialising in steaks!) which was under seasoned and a little bland, and portions for the sides were small, given the price. Furthermore, tables are positioned very close together so it felt a little cramped and noisy and we had to raise our voices to converse. On the whole, we had a lovely evening but it is rather expensive and best saved for an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mooooo! Holy cow, how yummy?!EllaDined on 8/9/2014As a treat, I took my husband to hawksmoor for his birthday after recommendations from friends... We weren't disappointed that's for sure! We shared the porterhouse which was expensive at £81 for 900g but most definitely worth it! Great quality and cooked to perfection... As foodies, we often leave restaurants feeling we could have done better ourselves, but on this occasion, we had to eat our words! Truly delicious for carnivores and a must for steak enthusiasts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch excellenceMatt82884Dined on 7/9/2014We had eaten at Hawksmoor before but had been eager to try the Sunday lunch. Beef was excellent and the accompaniments were well cooked and plentiful. Service was, as at other branches of Hawksmoor, attentive although we did feel a little rushed to order and eat but this could be forgiven as it was very busy. This is a premium Sunday lunch but in our opinion, well worth savoring.Special Features:
- angels25Dined on 5/9/2014We had a really enjoyable meal here. The food was delicious. The service was excellent . The staff really know their stuff and care about what they serve. My only comment is that with the tables so close together and no acoustic insulation it became very noisySpecial Features:
- The original is the best!ArtsLoverDined on 5/9/2014Excellent - far better in all respects (food, ambience and service) than the other branches in Soho and Guildhall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul lawrencePaul24Dined on 5/9/2014The Hawksmoor nr Spitalfields marker is suited more for business lunch especially as most people in there were men and suited . The ambience and service was excellent except I was not overly impressed with the steaks .maybe I hit it on a bad day or just had a bad cut .Special Features:
- Delicious and decadentNorthernfoodieDined on 4/9/2014A steak dinner at Hawksmore was a massive treat for us and it really lived up to expectations. We arrived a little early and we're ushered to the bar for drinks. After scouring the drinks menu my BF decided on a Batidas, a Brazilian cocktail made from cachaça and condensed milk, rarely offered in the UK. More of an appetiser in a glass than a aperitif. I went for the Garden Party, delicious although I stabbed myself up the nose more than once with the sprig of mint. My starter, the Yorkshire puddings with potted beef and bacon were dreamy, although I like my yorkshires a little more squidgy. The BF seemed delighted with the crab on toast. We shared 500g of the chateaubriand, chips and creamed spinach. All wonderful.Special Features:
- GreatDarrylDined on 3/9/2014Excellent food and quality service. Would recommend to anyone that is looking to have a lovely meal (especially steak!).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Excellent food and even better service. Staff is very knowledgeable, the drinks are excellent, the wine list is great, and the meat is absolutely incredible.Special Features:
- 3 course set menuFoodieDined on 1/9/2014Took my partner for a bday dinner. The staff were very welcoming and cheerful. For starters we had the bone marrow with onions. This wasn't very nice, oily and it came with burnt bread (not worth the money). For the mains we had rib eye steak with sweet potato and fries. The steak was beautifully cooked as we requested, flavoursome and a good portion size. For desert we requested sticky toffee pudding. Amazing. And they were able to put a candle and write happy bday on my partners dessert which surprised him! They gave him his dessert on the house which was a lovely gesture. The food was pricey but good with the set menu price, I would go again but definitely try another starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beefalicious!AmuseDined on 31/8/2014Specifically went for the Sunday Roast & wasn't disappointed. Perfectly cooked beef served with all the trimmings & a very generous plate of food. Service was perfect...attentive without being invasive, informative without being pushy & genuinely happy to serve...obviously loved his job & sign of a great team behind the scenes. We all loved it & will definitely be back to sample other parts of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunchNY23Dined on 30/8/2014I love Hawksmoor and always think it is worth saving up for a visit. This was my first lunch there and it was as good as I had hoped. We had the set menu which is very good value for money when compared to the normal menu. All 3 courses were fantastically tasty and, although I did get hugely full, they were certainly worth finishing. The service was excellent and friendly.Special Features:
- Beef!LindychipsteadDined on 27/8/2014If you love steak this is the place for you. Our waitress really knew her stuff and her recommendations were excellent. Even got a candle and chocs for the birthday boy. Delicious cocktails and wine. Had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat and winemangiaBeneDined on 27/8/2014After our potted beef and Yorkshire starter we went for the Porterhouse steak a couple of sides and a bottle of Malbec. Our delightful waitress explained the different cuts to us as well as recommending an appropriate weight to select for two people. We were not disappointed! All our carnivorous desires were fulfilled. We found the service to be great, the food very good. We'd have liked a larger table as the one we were shown to was a bit squeezed, but this would be our only gripe.Special Features:
- GeoffandJoineDined on 25/8/2014We had a lovely evening which was a birthday celebration. We had been recommended to the restaurant and it did not disappoint. The food was great and the service excellent - we were even given a celebratory dessert which was a lovely gesture. It was expensive but knew this before we booked. Would definitely eat there againSpecial Features:
- Very enjoyableBubblefish777Dined on 24/8/2014Small venue, excellent and attentive staff, very good cuts of meat. It's definitely an excellent steakhouse and the starters and puddings are good as well. when you arrive there's a board with all their steaks available and their weight so it's up to you to decide how big a steak you want. The one thing I would say is it's not the USA. By that I mean it's still expensive in London to get a great steak. I opted for Surf and Turf, Fillet and half a lobster which was nice, my other guests did a similar sort of thing. With starters, pudding and a bottle of wine it still came out at £100 a head. That's $150 and in the USA you'd pay a third of that. Still, the prices are what the market will pay, so London will continue to be overpriced.Special Features:
- Parker71Dined on 23/8/2014Service was first class with their famous steaks given a full explanation.everything was well cooked and presented. The only critisism was the grossly overpriced starters. We had the scallops at £14.50 for four scallops was outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food,service and ambiencejerryatrickDined on 20/8/2014Beautifully smoked smoke salmon and succulent steaks cooked to perfection - we had a wonderful dinner. Service was friendly and helpful too. Not cheap but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueUmamiDined on 18/8/2014Good decent steaks, but service could be a lot better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 18/8/2014Everything at Hawksmoor is very good, from the cocktails to steaks to the dessert. It's a little pricey, but definitely worth it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheeky midweek Express menu...SwooopDined on 18/8/2014Having almost bankrupted myself enjoying the pleasures of a full a la carte and cocktails of an evening, it was just too tempting to pop in with a friend for the 'express' lunch menu. Good value (all things considered) and lovely food. Did miss the creamed spinach though, too good.Special Features:
- Meat-lover MeccajpjlDined on 18/8/2014Having already eaten here once on a busy Friday evening to celebrate my anniversary with my better half, I already knew I was in for a good time. The menu is glorious, but you need to make sure you take a look at the blackboard to see the real treats; huge cuts of Porterhouse or Rib-in that will set you salivating from the start! From starters to dessert there's something for everyone, and even if the food doesn't quite sway you, the excellent service certainly will ensure that you have a fantastic time. Not a place for a quick slap-up meal, this is where you go to savour every bite and celebrate good meat the way it should be served.Special Features:
- SpeechlessTopboyDined on 14/8/2014Absolutely amazing! I've had good steak before, but this place was on another level!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Porterhouse it is!vcallikanDined on 13/8/20141st time at Hawksmoor and I have to admit that their steaks are some of the best in London, though when looking at the whole experience and menu, it still lags behind my current favourite - Goodmans in Mayfair. I had the 900g Porterhouse done medium while my friend had an 850g Porterhouse done medium rare for mains together with creamed spinach, buttered greens, new potatoes, triple cooked chips and various sauces including the peppercorn and hollandaise. The steaks were cooked to perfection and they tasted superb, I did note however that my plate wasn't a tad cold, but also the sides like the creamed spinach and especially the triple cooked chips were quite poor. The new potatoes and hollandaise sauce were quite nice though.Special Features:
- Steak paradiseFoodVitoriaDined on 12/8/2014Having eaten many fantastic fillets/sirloins I was surprised by the outstanding tasteof the meat we ordered. With only some really big and heavt cuts remaining, we chose a sirloin and a fillet, chargrilled and sliced and served on a hot skillet. The meat was truly delicious. The service was good in recommending this option to us over the bigger options. The only problem, living near a wine growing region of Spain, was the price of the wines and the very loud dining room. The fact that it was so full was a good sign, as far as popularity, but it was not the romantic night out we had hoped for, due to the distance between tables and the high volume of the other diners. However, a "must visit" for any red meat lovers in the area.Special Features:
- Amazing Steak, lovely service!MCM8Dined on 12/8/2014Thank you to Hawksmoor Spitalfields for a really lovely evening. It was my boyfriend's birthday and the service we received was excellent and the food was outstanding!! So delicious. The service was fantastic and very thoughtful considering I had briefly mentioned it was my boyfriends birthday when booking the table! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Amazing SteaksTwardDined on 11/8/2014Waiter explained all cuts, had brilliant knowledge of the wine, and was very friendly and personableSpecial Features:
- Awesome!BronwynDined on 10/8/2014Absolutely perfect, again. Cater for gluten free diners. Amazing chateau briand! Gorgeous salted caramel ice cream. Always they to take care of you, giving that extra bit that makes you feel looked after, superb staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingChampagnetastesDined on 10/8/2014Steak....... Just as you want it! Servings soooo gd, man size portions not tiny a la carte versions!Special Features:
- Sunday RoastJohnHDined on 10/8/2014The dining room was a little too echoey but great quality food and proper sized portions. Friendly service - the recommended dessert was fabulous. Thanks.Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I can't express just how highly we enjoyed both the food and the ambiance of the Hawksmoor.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodtravelgirlDined on 9/8/2014We had four adults in our party and each one of us was pleased with our meals! The staff was also very attentive to our needs; we felt taken care of.Special Features:
- Steak; great way to start weekendHungryHippoDined on 8/8/2014The second Hawksmoor I've dined at. The first time was great, this time was even better! The food is quality but it's the service that makes it. Staff are welcoming and helpful - especially when you can't choose between two really good desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.