Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant
20-21 Hermitage Road
Hitchin, SG5 1BTNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hermitagerd.co.uk/
- Phone: 01462 433603x
- Hours of Operation:
We are open 7 days a week with all day dining options -
RESTAURANT food served
Mon to Fri 12pm – 2.30pm & 6.30 – 10pm
Sat 9.30am – 11.30am breakfast & 12 – 10pm
Sun 9.30am – 11.30am breakfast & 12 – 8pm
BAR food served
Mon to Sat 12pm – 9.30 pm
Sun 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, British, Steak
- Executive Chef: Kumour Uddin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a Private Room with a capacity for 20 people with conference facitlites available for day/evening hire.
- Private Party Contact: Ellene Immelman 01462433603x
- Entertainment: Magical Mayhem Bar Magic and live music - 3rd Thursday evenings monthly
Sunday acoustic sessions 7-9 pm, live music coming your way on the first and last Sunday in the month & ‘happy 2 hours’ on selected cocktails.
- Special Events: New Year's Eve - gourmet buffet - live music
A word from Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant
Offering the best in high street casual dining within the stunning surroundings of the 'old Hermitage ballroom' - New York loft stripped back style. Winner of BEST FOOD OFFER the Publican Awards 2013 & 2014 & Bib Gourmand in the Michelin Guide 2013 & 2014. Open plan kitchen serving British cuisine with a bustling atmosphere. 150 cover restaurant & 80 cover bar & specialised coffee shop on the ground floor open during the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant - Best restaurants in Hitchin ›
Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
282 reviews since 22 May 2014
special occasions (187)group bookings (141)fit for foodies (120)sunday lunch (101)romance (90)business meals (69)brunch (57)good vegetarian options (38)disabled access (37)child friendly (32)outstanding value (22)pre/post theatre (19)afternoon tea (12)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- Perfect place for a celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/9/2014Had a great evening for our daughters 18th Birthday . Service was excellent , couldn't have been looked after better. Food was very good quality although a bit pricey with vegetable portions very small. That said we knew that before we went and it was a special ocassionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No other restaurant quite like itMmmSundayRoastDined on 14/9/2014Hermitage Road Bar was recommended to us by a friend, we went and tried it and were very impressed. So this time we took another couple with us and they were equally impressed. I can't think of another restaurant quite like this one to compare it to, as you enter for the first time you will be very pleasantly surprised that someone had the brilliant idea of turning what was an old Ballroom into this stylish restaurant. Then you'll be impressed at the speedy and polite service from all of the staff - and as if that weren't enough you'll love the food! This time we purposely got there early enough to visit the bar first for a pre-deal drink and a chat - perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterCath2015Dined on 14/9/2014Having dined here many times it always seems to come up a bit short. Our server was excellent but the hosting staff terrible. Food was okay but expected more. We had Sunday lunch and the food was cooked well but a but boring.
- PerfectFoodie123Dined on 13/9/2014From start to finish it was great especially the service (as well as food of course). We asked for lots of little extras and they got it all correct!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToooobiDined on 12/9/2014Used to be much better value for money. Also the menu option are quite limitedSpecial Features:
- Been betterKarlie1976Dined on 7/9/2014We have eaten here numerous times and also gone in just for drinks. Food wasn't as good as what it has been, in our opinion, less choice, shame the Pork chop has gone along with no option for a chicken breast from the grill (not a burger or salad person). Atmosphere was brilliant and there was an acoustic singer for a couple of hours. Would still come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant as alwaysLisaispinkDined on 4/9/2014Great service, great food and a lovely place to go. Not the cheapest but by far the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat,great experiencelocal1Dined on 1/9/2014This is a great place to eat, a great choice on menu and pretty good value, with knowledgeable, professional and friendly service. They have a good choice of specials that are well worth going for. Suitable for all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we were reccomended to visit!MmmSundayRoastDined on 31/8/2014A friend recommended us to visit Hermitage Road Bar & restaurant, so we had no real knowledge of the place previously. Our visit couldn't have been more successful! We were asked if we wanted to go to the bar first or straight to our table. The waitress made us feel very welcome, wasn't rushed (in fact she told us a bit about the fascinating history of the building) the food was well cooked, beautifully presented and speedily delivered. Couldn't ask for more even though the prices were a little higher than some other local places. We were so pleased that we have already booked to take some friends back there in a couple of weeks!Special Features:
- Hermitage rdRob25Dined on 31/8/2014Lovely, attentive staff. Perfect portions of beautiful food. Classy but not pretentious. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal for twoTeeEllDined on 30/8/2014I took my girlfriend there for our 1 year anniversary, the food was amazing and the staff were brilliant. When i booked the table I mentioned about it being our anniversary and they brought out a lovely pudding which had happy anniversary written in chocolate sauce. Over all the restaurant is beautiful and i am very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 29/8/2014Such a shame they we're slow food was good but we went home for pud. Go early of you got kids mine were Hungery then past itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 29/8/2014Great restaurant, brilliant atmosphere. Only criticism is that the menu could do with changing now. I've been here about 5/6 times and they should think about varying the menu a little more. Still a great place to go though!Special Features:
- Chars21stDined on 29/8/2014Meal for 7 in aid of my Daughters 21st. Lovely table and set up with my balloons although did purchase 21 confetti but this wasn't used! Great meal and service, Had to wait more towards the end but the restaurant was very busy by then. My daughter loved it, that was the main thing. A special restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:
- enjoyable meallwlsDined on 27/8/2014Five of us ate here mid-week; the restaurant was busy, the menu seems slightly limited and fairly fixed - i.e. no daily specials but it is a very popular venue. We didn't have a designated server,which I found a bit disconcerting,although overall the service was friendly . Came here when they first opened and it's heartening to see how well they've done with such a large space.Special Features:
- Lovely!sophiachick1Dined on 25/8/2014Really nice restaurant. Great food. We have the Hermitage sharing platter to start, then lobster & steak for main. We even made room for dessert as they were so yummy! Nice wine list and great building with very high ceiling, brick walls with steel like furnishings. Very cool :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely brilliant!GiniebumDined on 23/8/2014My husband & I went for our anniversary. Fantastic choice as we'd not been. Food, staff & atmosphere were all great. Very friendly & a lovely selection of good & drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewPabloDined on 21/8/2014Very busy Wednesday evening, with live music and a buzzing bar; we were celebrating my daughters birthday. Seated promptly at 9pm, but took a while to take our food order. The food was very tasty, as always, and good volume. The service was poor this time, with 3 or 4 waiters/waitresses taking various orders, not coordinated, and forgetting to bring drinks. Bit of a mess, really. I did leave a tip (I shouldn't have), and we will go back as the atmosphere and menus are unique in and around Hitchin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish as alwaysWoolmaryDined on 21/8/2014We eat a reasonable amount at The Hermitage and the service is always impeccable as is the food. Always a lovely buzzy atmosphere and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/8/2014We booked for a special birthday and were very impressed with the effort the staff put into the evening. Well made cocktails on arrival (strawberry mojitos are great) and well thought out wine list. We were given a lovely booth, the service was fantastic and the food gorgeous. A lovely slate board with Happy Birthday in white chocolate and ice cream was a really lovely gesture, my daughter really enjoyed her evening. We would highly recommend although if you are looking for an intimate atmosphere for a romantic date, this probably isn't the right venue for you.Special Features:
- Amazing service and amazing food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/8/2014As we walked in we were greated by friendly wait staff and it didnt just stop there. It was girlfriends birthday that day and we had gone to the Eitz in London for lunch and I have to say that your service was 10 times better than those at the Ritz. They made our night! Also the food was incredible. I could not fault a single thing. Thank you for such a good evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/8/2014Get first impression - door staff checked if I had a reservation which seemed professional. Went straight in and had a table to sit at even though it was very busy and food was served within good time. Both meals tasted great and there was a great atmosphere. Only disappointment was that they didn't serve BBQ sauce which I was surprised at!Special Features:
- Lovely place, good foodLuv2dineDined on 14/8/2014We went to celebrate our engagement having been there for my birthday the previous year. Lovely place, has a New York edge to it. Service was great, food to high standards albeit on the pricey side. They even brought out a desert plate with "Happy Engagement" written in white chocolate sauce which was sweet although we did find we were charged for the scoop of icecream which we didn't order but I didn't want to spoil the meal by questioning this! Overall would recommend as a good venue for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience everytime...AllenPDined on 9/8/2014I go to the Hermitage every couple of weeks, always at different times and for different reasons, and i cant fault it in anyway each time. Great staff and service, amazing food, lovely ambience and a good winelist! Well done again....Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceFangornDined on 7/8/2014My wife and I have been aiming to come here for some time, so a special birthday visit seemed just right, and we were not disappointed. The food and wine were excellent, the service attentive but not overwhelming, the portions just right. Getting there early, and chosing to sit away from the kitchen and bar was a good choice, since we were able to talk without shouting. Certainly a place to remember for the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great with friendsMush42Dined on 6/8/2014I have enjoyed dinner at Hermitage Road with friends before and also enjoyed lunch on this occasion. For me there is more choice for the evening menu, however, the quality of food is excellent and service was good. The bar area is also great for just drinks or bar snacks. Would highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Hertfordshire's BesttomrdayDined on 5/8/2014Sometimes finding a really nice restaurant in Hertfordshire can be a bit tricky. There are loads of gastropubs and the like but it is often hard to find a good, modern restaurant for special occasions. Hermitage Rd is such a restaurant - great atmosphere, delicious food and plenty of helpful staff. The prices are a bit on the London side, but then you get what you pay for!Special Features:
- Beautiful food in a funky settingBeccyDined on 4/8/2014We had great food here for my husband's birthday - it doesn't have as many veggie options as I would like but what we did have was great. BBQ king prawns really good value as you get 10 big ones plus slaw, fries and sweetcorn. The steak also looked quite big and well cooked. The specials were really imaginative - pulled pork, in a ball of bubble and squeak with slaw and chorizo - looked great! Friendly service plus lovely atmosphere and bar was good too. Didn't have desert - was too full but the sharing platter looked like a great option. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Usually good, but was disappointedStickgirlDined on 30/7/2014Visited The Hermitage on a weekday evening. The menu is a bit tired by now. Some of the food was great, other was just OK. Rump steak with surf and turf was tough. Also forgot to bring the "jumbo" prawns with meal. Starters were also mixed up. Staff was friendly, but our server wasn't knowledgable about a few things on the menu. Didn't really seem bothered that she couldn't answer our question. Cocktails were FAB!Special Features:
- High Quality Hidden GemmikeDined on 29/7/2014Hermitage road doesnt look much from outside, but you go upstairs and it opens up into a beautifully ex-dance hall with an airy feel and lovely tall windows. The food is a cut above anything I have had for a good while at the same time. It takes the food seriously but it is so unpretentious its not true. The service is excellent, polite, attentive but not overbearing. I've never left a review for a restuarant before but the experience was so good I felt compelled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic & made Mum's birthday xClaireDined on 27/7/2014My Dad who is usually very fussy cleared both his main and dessert plates.....and asked "when are we coming back"? my Parents and Aunty absolutely loved their experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!NattyNatNatDined on 27/7/2014This has got to be the best and tastiest roast I have ever had! Nicely presented, loved the way the veges were preped and cooked. Just awesome and will definitely be returning! Lush!Special Features:
- evening mealoverheatedDined on 26/7/2014The waitresses was excellent the food excellent the two courses we had but was unable to stay in the restaurant because I started to feel ill because it was so hot in the restaurant and left before we had dessert which spoilt a lovely evening and we ended up having dessert at another restaurant once we had cooled downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely food but not enough airconHermNeighbourDined on 22/7/2014The food and drink was really nice but we went on a hot day and the main room was really hot and sticky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/7/2014Fabulous evening at Hermitage on 19th July. Table was booked for 18:45 with the usual 2 hour time limit ..... we went over that time slightly - but weren't hassled at all. Food & service first rate!Special Features:
- GD reviewGDouttodinnerDined on 15/7/2014Took my wife and 89 year old mother for an evening meal. Both loved the place and the over all impression was good. Having once bopped up there in the 40/50 and 60 eras(between us) when it was a ballroom, it was so good to see some of the original brickwork still maintained... .the only downside was we waited a while for coffee after the meal. But this was my third visit and it won't be my last. It's a great place for all ages... keep it up guys...Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary mealNattyCDined on 12/7/2014We do eat quite regularly at Hermitage Road, but had an extra special meal there last Saturday for our 1st Wedding Anniversary. Friendly, extremely helpful staff and we even got a specially prepared dessert saying 'Happy Anniversary' in chocolate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the ribs!JftBDined on 9/7/2014The ribs are amazing! We also shared the seafood platter which was very good. Only downside is that the kitchen is in the main room and they dont seem to have sorted out the extractor fa, and there's a blueish haze in the air - every time i go I come away smelling like i worked in the kitchen for the entire visit.Special Features:
- Popular town centre restaurantgoonerdavemDined on 2/7/2014Have eaten here a couple of times and in each case the food was very good, with a simple menu and some good specials. The wine and beer is also excellent. It has been busy on each occasion so I would recommend booking in advance. As it is busy, you might want to ask for a table around the outside as it can get noisy in the central area.Special Features:
- Great birthday mealhyper1Dined on 28/6/2014Had a wonderful meal here on Saturday night. excellent choice of wines and food was scrummy, I thought good value for what we received. Service was attentive even though they were packed and very busy. Thank you!Special Features: