Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant
20-21 Hermitage Road
Hitchin, SG5 1BTNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hermitagerd.co.uk/
- Phone: 01462 433603x
- Hours of Operation:
We are open 7 days a week with all day dining options -
RESTAURANT food served
Mon to Fri 12pm – 2.30pm & 6.30 – 10pm
Sat 9.30am – 11.30am breakfast & 12 – 10pm
Sun 9.30am – 11.30am breakfast & 12 – 8pm
BAR food served
Mon to Sat 12pm – 9.30 pm
Sun 12pm – 8pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, British, Steak
- Executive Chef: Kumour Uddin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a Private Room with a capacity for 20 people with conference facitlites available for day/evening hire.
- Private Party Contact: Ellene Immelman 01462433603x
- Entertainment: Magical Mayhem Bar Magic and live music - 3rd Thursday evenings monthly
Sunday acoustic sessions 7-9 pm, live music coming your way on the first and last Sunday in the month & ‘happy 2 hours’ on selected cocktails.
- Special Events: New Year's Eve - gourmet buffet - live music
A word from Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant
Offering the best in high street casual dining within the stunning surroundings of the 'old Hermitage ballroom' - New York loft stripped back style. Winner of BEST FOOD OFFER the Publican Awards 2013 & 2014 & Bib Gourmand in the Michelin Guide 2013 & 2014. Open plan kitchen serving British cuisine with a bustling atmosphere. 150 cover restaurant & 80 cover bar & specialised coffee shop on the ground floor open during the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant - Best restaurants in Hitchin ›
Hermitage Rd Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
269 reviews since 31 October 2013
special occasions (186)group bookings (138)fit for foodies (111)sunday lunch (97)romance (89)business meals (66)brunch (55)good vegetarian options (38)child friendly (32)disabled access (31)pre/post theatre (22)outstanding value (20)afternoon tea (10)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- perfect againdenwogDined on 25/10/2014Our recent dinner was faultless. Delicious, well considered combinations, nicely presented. Lovely friendly waitress. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Bullet roastiesREBleDined on 19/10/2014Vibrant and energetic and trendy in design. Overall though a little style and no substance.. Rock hard roast potatoes and a bowl of mush for veg. Chewy Yorkshire pud but our beef and pork was well cooked.. Salad came with no pear this was corrected. All edible but disappointing for £15. Snickers knicker bocker and apple crumble puddings just ok. There is such a trend to be overly creative with presentation and forget to deliver really well cooked fresh and honest food. The appearance of the restaurant promised so much but didn't quite deliver. I imagine drinks at the bar would be great though.Special Features:
- Great food, good atmosphereJC66Dined on 18/10/2014Consistently good food and good service. Booth seats are the best. Only complaint is that the acoustics in the old building make it very noisy, especially in the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleSij13Dined on 15/10/2014Food was fabulous, the bar is a great place to relax, and they have a bike on the wall, they've covered all the bases!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/10/2014I booked a table for my son, his girlfriend and myself for his birthday. We had a very enjoyable meal. The menu was varied with a couple of specials. The service was good and it was a good atmosphere, even for a Monday night. Will certainly go again.Special Features:
- Evening with friendsJeremyCVIPDined on 11/10/2014Excellent food as ever with fine wines and good ambience. Fine selection of wines and beers; steak very good. Order taking not quite as good as usual but no great problem. Very enjoyable ands will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok - don't recommendRBBBDined on 11/10/2014It was ok, all though we got in early we were seated at a table which was unstable and had to put tissue under it. This still didn't fix the issue, service then had to put slate tablet numbers under the table to try steady it but again it still was wobbly. Although they had about 20 tables available and about 10 next to use (table for two's) we were told we can't be moved as they are fully booked. The whole time we were there (the full 2 hour limit) no one arrived at thees tables - so we could of been moved. Then being told we need to basically go by staff because they have someone else booked at our specific table when there are free ones next to us was rather rude and unjust. The only real saving grace was the kind waitress and food.Special Features:
- Dinner at the HermitageSilvioBDined on 8/10/2014We`ve arrived ahead of our reservation and were seated at the bar, the cocktails are delicious and the choice is huge, anything you can imagine..... When the table was ready, we were escorted to our seat and the great experience continued, the entire staff was very attentive, polite and knowledgeable.... The atmosphere could not have been better, it was buzzing, but everyone around us had a good time. We have had our Anniversary dinner there and we have decided to go at least once a Month, we will also introduce our friends to the hermitage, they all will love it. Well done SilvioSpecial Features:
- Totally unique restaurantStef89Dined on 5/10/2014We went to this restaurant for the first time on Sunday. Overall we were really impressed! The decor and venue are so different and interesting. I've never seen a restaurant like it! Lee smith the magician was there which added to the ambience! The Sunday roast was delicious as were the puddings (cinnamon brioche and the sorbet). We loved our mocktails mojitos especially the raspberry and ginger one. My only minor criticism is that our roasts arrived whilst we were still eating our starters and our drinks hadn't even arrived!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2014I would recommend The Hermitage to anyone as i felt the whole evening was outstanding, the best Eton Mess Ever !Special Features:
- Delicious!PammieDDined on 28/9/2014Fantastic Roast Beef lunch as always. They really do a great Sunday Roast. Delicious, delicious, delicious!!Special Features:
- noisey but good food.jeastwooDined on 27/9/2014Have been to the Hermitage a few times. I enjoy the food, its of a high quality. I do think that they would benefit from varying the menu as I have tried most things I like now and wasn't advised of any specials so maybe that would be a good idea too. The service was a bit hit and miss, the staff barely made eye contact with us and we were waiting a long time do order our wine. (but it was very busy). On the whole definately will go back but feel their customer service could be improved.
- Great restaurant. Lovely food!johno1404Dined on 27/9/2014I took my girlfrend here as a surprise treat. The food was great and we really liked the rustic setting. The staff were really friendly. It won't be long before we visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but sort out the kids menu!JaneL123Dined on 27/9/2014Really enoyed our meal as usual, but please sort out the kid's menu puddings. You really should have cheaper puddings for kids. My son's pudding was more expensive than his main course! Also, you need to have more bar staff as we had to wait ages to get a drink. Having said this, I still think its a great venue and wil be going again!Special Features:
- Excellent foodsecretdinerDined on 25/9/2014The sharing boards are highly recommended. The quality of the food was excellent and the service was very good and friendly. A shame the lift was broken as we had a 90 year old in our group for lunch!Special Features:
- Monday 22nd SeptemberLuvlyGrubDined on 22/9/2014We had a delightful evening at the Hermitage for my son's 21st birthday. The food was excellent. The ambience of the restaurant is the perfect venue for a special occasion. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 22/9/2014A very enjoyable evening, great food and excellent service. Many thanksSpecial Features:
- Great lunch, but only justRobertVIPDined on 21/9/2014We had a great sunday lunch here, and think it is a great restaurant. However, they did make a big mistake by not informing us that the lift was broken, which meant we had to carry our teenage disabled son up the stairs. We made a note in our reservation that we needed disabled access, and they should have phoned to tell us we would not be able to use the lift.Special Features:
- Girls night outMich68Dined on 17/9/2014Great night with the girls. Buzzing atmosphere in the restaurant. Delicious food - scrummy cocktails! Service a bit slow though from when we first sat down. Took ages to get our drinks. Waitress very softly spoken and it's quite loud in the dining area so made it very difficult to hear and understand her. Overall though it was a very good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for a celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/9/2014Had a great evening for our daughters 18th Birthday . Service was excellent , couldn't have been looked after better. Food was very good quality although a bit pricey with vegetable portions very small. That said we knew that before we went and it was a special ocassionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No other restaurant quite like itMmmSundayRoastDined on 14/9/2014Hermitage Road Bar was recommended to us by a friend, we went and tried it and were very impressed. So this time we took another couple with us and they were equally impressed. I can't think of another restaurant quite like this one to compare it to, as you enter for the first time you will be very pleasantly surprised that someone had the brilliant idea of turning what was an old Ballroom into this stylish restaurant. Then you'll be impressed at the speedy and polite service from all of the staff - and as if that weren't enough you'll love the food! This time we purposely got there early enough to visit the bar first for a pre-deal drink and a chat - perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterCath2015Dined on 14/9/2014Having dined here many times it always seems to come up a bit short. Our server was excellent but the hosting staff terrible. Food was okay but expected more. We had Sunday lunch and the food was cooked well but a but boring.
- PerfectFoodie123Dined on 13/9/2014From start to finish it was great especially the service (as well as food of course). We asked for lots of little extras and they got it all correct!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToooobiDined on 12/9/2014Used to be much better value for money. Also the menu option are quite limitedSpecial Features:
- Been betterKarlie1976Dined on 7/9/2014We have eaten here numerous times and also gone in just for drinks. Food wasn't as good as what it has been, in our opinion, less choice, shame the Pork chop has gone along with no option for a chicken breast from the grill (not a burger or salad person). Atmosphere was brilliant and there was an acoustic singer for a couple of hours. Would still come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant as alwaysLisaispinkDined on 4/9/2014Great service, great food and a lovely place to go. Not the cheapest but by far the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat,great experiencelocal1Dined on 1/9/2014This is a great place to eat, a great choice on menu and pretty good value, with knowledgeable, professional and friendly service. They have a good choice of specials that are well worth going for. Suitable for all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we were reccomended to visit!MmmSundayRoastDined on 31/8/2014A friend recommended us to visit Hermitage Road Bar & restaurant, so we had no real knowledge of the place previously. Our visit couldn't have been more successful! We were asked if we wanted to go to the bar first or straight to our table. The waitress made us feel very welcome, wasn't rushed (in fact she told us a bit about the fascinating history of the building) the food was well cooked, beautifully presented and speedily delivered. Couldn't ask for more even though the prices were a little higher than some other local places. We were so pleased that we have already booked to take some friends back there in a couple of weeks!Special Features:
- Hermitage rdRob25Dined on 31/8/2014Lovely, attentive staff. Perfect portions of beautiful food. Classy but not pretentious. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal for twoTeeEllDined on 30/8/2014I took my girlfriend there for our 1 year anniversary, the food was amazing and the staff were brilliant. When i booked the table I mentioned about it being our anniversary and they brought out a lovely pudding which had happy anniversary written in chocolate sauce. Over all the restaurant is beautiful and i am very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 29/8/2014Such a shame they we're slow food was good but we went home for pud. Go early of you got kids mine were Hungery then past itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 29/8/2014Great restaurant, brilliant atmosphere. Only criticism is that the menu could do with changing now. I've been here about 5/6 times and they should think about varying the menu a little more. Still a great place to go though!Special Features:
- Chars21stDined on 29/8/2014Meal for 7 in aid of my Daughters 21st. Lovely table and set up with my balloons although did purchase 21 confetti but this wasn't used! Great meal and service, Had to wait more towards the end but the restaurant was very busy by then. My daughter loved it, that was the main thing. A special restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:
- enjoyable meallwlsDined on 27/8/2014Five of us ate here mid-week; the restaurant was busy, the menu seems slightly limited and fairly fixed - i.e. no daily specials but it is a very popular venue. We didn't have a designated server,which I found a bit disconcerting,although overall the service was friendly . Came here when they first opened and it's heartening to see how well they've done with such a large space.Special Features:
- Lovely!sophiachick1Dined on 25/8/2014Really nice restaurant. Great food. We have the Hermitage sharing platter to start, then lobster & steak for main. We even made room for dessert as they were so yummy! Nice wine list and great building with very high ceiling, brick walls with steel like furnishings. Very cool :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely brilliant!GiniebumDined on 23/8/2014My husband & I went for our anniversary. Fantastic choice as we'd not been. Food, staff & atmosphere were all great. Very friendly & a lovely selection of good & drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewPabloDined on 21/8/2014Very busy Wednesday evening, with live music and a buzzing bar; we were celebrating my daughters birthday. Seated promptly at 9pm, but took a while to take our food order. The food was very tasty, as always, and good volume. The service was poor this time, with 3 or 4 waiters/waitresses taking various orders, not coordinated, and forgetting to bring drinks. Bit of a mess, really. I did leave a tip (I shouldn't have), and we will go back as the atmosphere and menus are unique in and around Hitchin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish as alwaysWoolmaryDined on 21/8/2014We eat a reasonable amount at The Hermitage and the service is always impeccable as is the food. Always a lovely buzzy atmosphere and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/8/2014We booked for a special birthday and were very impressed with the effort the staff put into the evening. Well made cocktails on arrival (strawberry mojitos are great) and well thought out wine list. We were given a lovely booth, the service was fantastic and the food gorgeous. A lovely slate board with Happy Birthday in white chocolate and ice cream was a really lovely gesture, my daughter really enjoyed her evening. We would highly recommend although if you are looking for an intimate atmosphere for a romantic date, this probably isn't the right venue for you.Special Features:
- Amazing service and amazing food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/8/2014As we walked in we were greated by friendly wait staff and it didnt just stop there. It was girlfriends birthday that day and we had gone to the Eitz in London for lunch and I have to say that your service was 10 times better than those at the Ritz. They made our night! Also the food was incredible. I could not fault a single thing. Thank you for such a good evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.