Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel
33 Albemarle Street
London, W1S 4BPNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thealbemarlerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 02074936020x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm; 5:30pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12:30pm - 4pm; 7pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Lee Streeton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar
A word from Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel
A word from Hix Mayfair. If you're impressed by an excellent pedigree, Hix Mayfair in Brown's Hotel is undoubtedly the place for you. Celebrating British food and art, this restaurant drips with style with original wood panelling on which artworks by Tracey Emin and Rankin hang. Behind the scenes, celebrated chef Mark Hix has put his recognisable stamp on the menu created by executive chef Lee Streeton, who previously worked alongside Hix at Le Caprice and The Ivy. You can expect your glamorous dining experience to include British classics as well as dishes such as salt-baked Brixham sea bass with Alexanders, or sharing dishes such as slow-cooked shoulder and roasted rump of Warwickshire lamb with Baker's potatoes - but do note that these menus are updated every month as they only use the best British seasonal ingredients and the set menu changes every day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since 21 October 2013
business meals (93)special occasions (85)fit for foodies (52)romance (47)pre/post theatre (29)sunday lunch (29)group bookings (19)afternoon tea (17)brunch (16)outstanding value (10)child friendly (8)disabled access (7)good vegetarian options (7)Show More
- Hix at BrownsMattBVIPDined on 1/10/2014We had a good meal despite a few minor issues encountered with the menu. The staff were very kind and understanding and did their very best to make have a good meal. The "Kiln roast salmon" was more of a "smoked" taste and thus the tart was very salty, so avoid if like my guest, you don't like salty tarts! The waiter was very kind and replaced that with the soup, which was delicious. My neck of lamb was nice, but as neck is fatty, it would have been better slightly more "done". The accompanying chard was not great and spoiled an otherwise lovely dish. The chocolate mousse was excellent as ever, but the crumble a slight disappointment.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING DINING EXPERIENCEmastercookDined on 20/9/2014I spent a romantic weekend in London to celebrating my wedding anniversary and I really enjoyed dinning at HIX. From the moment we entered the restaurant we were well received, the dinner was excellent. Besides we were given a sweet pastry and a card as anniversary present. I cannot say anything but perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceCrystalVIPDined on 17/9/2014I'd noted on the booking that we were both gluten free and so when they produced gluten free bread without my asking I knew it was going to be a pleasurable dining experience! The Open Table deal was great value but, as ever, be aware that extras such as coffee can bump up the bill quite alarmingly. Although it did come with some lovely truffles.Special Features:
- Excellent service, food and ambientNickelsVIPDined on 12/9/2014This is our favourite restaurant in London. We love the delicious food and excellent service and great ambient.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchPM22Dined on 1/9/2014Lovely restaurant, relaxed atmosphere with friendly attentive staff. The food combinations were gorgeous, scallops delicious. They brought a beautiful dessert platter as a birthday surprise, lovely touch, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wouldn't rush backEIDHVIPDined on 27/8/2014Went to HIX for a lunch with a friend. We were attracted by the set menu but diverted and paid the price. My trout was over cooked but the waiter made up for it by offering us pudding on the house – summer berries and cream from the trolley which were delicious. My friend really liked her food and indeed her veal from the lunch trolley was cooked very nicely. Altogether there wasn’t so much wrong but the ambiance is very formal (rather stiff actually) so unless it was a business lunch perhaps, and somebody else was paying… I wouldn’t rush back – couldn’t afford to either!Special Features:
- Sunday lunch at Browns HoteldiscerningdinerDined on 24/8/2014Beautiful food served in the relaxing, stylish atmosphere of one of London's finest hotels, set the tone for our lovely afternoon at Browns Hotel. Although the dining room was initially very quiet, other diners gradually arrived as the afternoon progressed. We ate delicious Sunday lunch fare made from seasonal British ingredients from the set menu, which included a refreshing, sparkling cocktail to start. The tender pork steak served with black pudding mash and rainbow chard was particularly memorable. Service was attentive and welcoming and we will certainly be back whenever we are in a celebratory mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food but lacked atmosphere...KerryloveDined on 23/8/2014We were looking forward to our visit but upon arrival, was very disappointed with how quiet HIX was. Having previously eaten at several other local restaurants, this was the quietest yet. By 10pm we were the only table of 4 in there, and there was one other table of 2. The food was superb & the service very attentive, spot on. But we did have their full attention! We asked for some background music or something as there was just no atmosphere. We were offered a music playing device next to our table, so as to uninterrupt other diners! We declined. A big shame, had we known was going to lack atmosphere & be so quiet we would have returned to Hakkasan. When I asked why it was so quiet, I was told they are usually busy, it's the time of year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty foodlucyluDined on 19/8/2014I have eaten at a Hix restaurant before and the food was outstanding. We picked a Monday night so the sous chef was probably cooking but this sous chef would have not got through the second round of master chef - the food was totally over salted on all our plates, we had different things. When I told the waiter he just shrugged. The staff were great although we were overcharged and had to point this out. The place is absolutely stunning, the cocktails delicious, they even brought out a profiterole cake as it was my friend's birthday (they kept the half we didn't have in the kitchen rather than box it up, we didn't pay for it so I suppose fair do's but it would have been a nice touch)but all our mains and starters over salted ..eurch xSpecial Features:
- Fantastic cocktailsjvb26Dined on 16/8/2014Great service and cocktails in the bar, tried quite a few of them. the food was good in Hix but nothing special really very homely and basic. We had the set menu which was good value however limited choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodAnge13Dined on 12/8/2014Took my mum here to celebrate her 60th birthday mid week. Very pleased with the food, not cheap but very tasty and excellent quality. Good for special occasions. Also they surprised her at the end with a mini selection of desserts with happy birthday written on the plate. Thank you for the great meal Hix!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I can't give fair ratings for food, service and value because the restaurant was empty when we arrived and it was so uncomfortable being in a completely silent, dead restaurant that we got up and left shortly after sitting down.
- DianaDined on 24/7/2014Fantastic service, extra bag of chocolate truffles at the end and good wheelchair accessSpecial Features:
- Great time at Hix MayfairMorefoodpleaseDined on 12/7/2014Opted for the 3 course and cocktail for £35 which was a great deal. Food was excellent, wine and cocktails were also excellent, service great! We were there for a double birthday so they also brought out some mini desserts with "happy birthday" written on it and a candle which was a lovely touch. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findGood4foodDined on 12/7/2014The setting of Hix in Browns Hotel in Mayfair made it special. The service and food was excellent and the menu for open table was well balanced. I would recommend if you want to meet with a friend or special occasion with a partner. You can talk and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaLindaDined on 8/7/2014I had been to HIX in Soho London and really like the food and the menu and was the reason why I chose HIX again but I must say the menu and the food are not as good as HIX in Soho in particular, I think the menu lacks character and is thoroughly ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningSimonVIPDined on 27/6/2014Really enjoyed the whole experience - Thank you - I will recommend again to friendsSpecial Features:
- Dinner at HIX MayfairtastydinersVIPDined on 26/6/2014This is the second time we have had dinner at HIX Mayfair and like the first visit the food was very good and the service was excellent. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and we had the set menu which was good value for money. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIX MayfairBellaVIPDined on 24/6/2014I had a client lunch at HIX Mayfair - very good choice for a business lunch, pleasently busy but still able to talk and hear - service & food good, would suggest again for a lunch with a client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's DaySeventiesGirlDined on 15/6/2014We spent a lovely evening at the restaurant, the food was excellent and the staff attentive but not over bearing. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor value and food below parThreefriendsDined on 5/6/2014I am very used to dining in Michelin starred restaurants and this was poor. The food was mediocre and rather tasteless, the price high - £100 each, and the service uninspired and not over helpful. Long gap between starter and main course. Not a place we'd return to and I can assure readers there are far superior London restaurants which will treat you better and not cost the earth. Rarely do I feel 'done' by a restaurant bill but I did on this occasion.Special Features:
- Great food and servicesc11Dined on 4/6/2014The food was fantastic although quite limited vegetarian choice. We went at lunchtime and the restaurant was very busy and quite noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice food..as expectedOddieDined on 16/5/2014The food was very good as you'd expect from a HIX restaurant, the decor was very nice and so was the service. Be warned though... the drinks are very expensive.Special Features:
- fantastic girls' night out!Suzy2ShoesDined on 3/5/2014Absolutely lovely Saturday night supper. Amazing fish curry. And pudding!Special Features:
- Great food :-)CarlyDined on 3/5/2014We arrived at 7.30pm on a Saturday, staff were fabulous and food was great only criticism was the atmosphere was lacking, it might have just been a quiet night though :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairBushraDined on 28/4/2014I have always wanted to try Hix and thought would give the toptable offer a go with my husband a couple of good friends. It was a Monday night and the place was not that busy with a few tables of older business types. The service was great. The food itself was ok for the level expected. Though the portions were big, there is not much variety on the plate so you would expect the taste of to be exceptional and it was good but not exceptional. Also the lack of different food groups in the meal is not satisfying. May be the normal price items would have been better.Special Features:
- Great for businessCharleighDined on 28/4/2014Excellent service and great food; nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/4/2014Food boring . Ambience terrible. Service- ok. Cocktails were good though .Special Features:
- All style..no substanceTastyDocDined on 22/4/2014I'd heard a lot about Hix and was very keen to try it out with the open table offer. However I was bitterly disappointed. The service was as expected along with the surroundings but the food was way below par. The starter of asparagus and duck egg salad contained eggs which looked as if they were boiled a day ago and the asparagus was thick and woody (considering it's supposed to be in season). The mains of cod although cooked well, had a thick gruesome looking herb (very salty) crust slapped on which tasted equally exciting. Dessert of chocolate cake off the trolley was dry and lacked finesse. Overall, if you have a lot of money to spare and don't care too much about the taste of the food, this is the place to go.
- Rely good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 19/4/2014The Toptable menu was fantastic value. The food and service were exceptional. The only down side was the cost of the drinks, the wine was fairly expensive with few bottles below the £50 mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The 2 course special menuimejdDined on 9/4/2014The 2 course special menu was good value for Hix but when wine and coffees are added it is still not an inexpensive evening. We were celebrating a friends birthday and the service was fabulous, friendly and attentive but not over so. - they brought truffles with a birthday message which was a lovely touch and offered an alternative to the set meal due to an allergy.Special Features:
- Great for a classy catch-upeatingmywaythrulondonVIPDined on 6/4/2014Had heard about HIX - Mayfair for quite a while, so jumped at the chance to try it out for a bit of a discount (25% off a la carte menu) when I came across it on TT! Location & Ambience: We went on a quiet evening (Sunday), so it was a great place to catch up with a few friends where we could share a good meal over excellent conversation in a traditionally-set dining room. Centrally located near Green Park. Food & Service: Service was absolutely excellent - there when you needed it, but unobtrusive and very polite yet friendly. My liked my food quite a bit (the red gunard - amazing sauce and perfectly cooked cockles), though one of my friends, who is vegetarian, was a bit let down as her food looked quite dry. Desserts were ok.Special Features:
- Great serviceFood4uDined on 29/3/2014We booked this as a top table deal and had a very good set menu selection. The staff were very attentive and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful evening at HixJonesy72Dined on 27/3/2014My friend and I had the set menu (starters of x1 soup, x1 tart) and both had the lamb with kidneys. Great use of UK-sourced ingredients and the lamb neck was cooked perfectly. Bread was warm and tasty and the cocktails just the right amount of kick. But what really made the night was the service. OUTSTANDING. All the waitstaff were friendly with just the right amount of attentive-ness. Thank you for making such a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- His Mayfair - Fabulous Foodc4bubblesDined on 23/3/2014Had a really lovely dinner at the Hix - Mayfair. I was looking for somewhere for a late meal on a Sunday with a good British menu. The beautiful restaurant was quiet (a few other tables besides ourselves) and wasn't too formal or starchy. The staff were friendly and attentive and the food was delicious. It was still little pricey even with the offer (25% off food) but in my opinion, definitely worth it. Would be great for a special occasion, an evening out or a date with someone special. I would happily go again and look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Lovely!Wild44Dined on 23/3/2014Really enjoyed our daughter's birthday lunch. They came out with a birthday plate with little tea cakes at the end of the meal and the waiter took photos for us. The hotel is lovely too.Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre BlissTablefortwoDined on 22/3/2014I took my wife for a weekend out in London for her Birthday. We dined at HIX before walking into the West-End for the show and had one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time. The staff were friendly and professional and we were lucky enough to catch the pre-service instructions from the maitre d', which was very enlightening as to how a restaurant runs so effectively. Thank you for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little birthday doVickyMcNaughtDined on 21/3/2014I booked a table for three for my 25th birthday here. It was lovely, the service was great and the bar tender even came over to offer my boyfriend a few non-alcoholic cocktail ideas because he was driving. The food was great. We are big fans of Hix restaurants!Special Features:
- Excellent set lunch with veryJulesDined on 18/3/2014Excellent set lunch with very attentive waiters definitely will go back when next in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in twist-on-classic syleLM14Dined on 16/3/2014The food was as good as we'd come to expect from Hix restaurants, with tasty and tender fillet steak and deer, creamy panna cotta, and rich but refreshing chocolate ice-cream. The alcoholic drinks were very expensive with the cheapest glass of bubbly being £16.50, and we were disappointed that there were non-alcoholic drinks displayed on the menu, though they were available. We felt a bit pressured to order wine by one of the waiters, but the other staff were very gracious and attentive. Brown's is a gorgeous venue - stylish mix of traditional wood panelling and modern art. It was quiet and relaxed on a Sunday, and we were seated at a larger table by the window to give us lovely views of the rest of the restaurant as well as of Mayfair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.