Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel
33 Albemarle Street
London, W1S 4BPNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thealbemarlerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 020 7493 6020
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3pm; 5:30pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12:30pm - 4pm; 7pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Lee Streeton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar
A word from Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel
A word from Hix Mayfair. If you're impressed by an excellent pedigree, Hix Mayfair in Brown's Hotel is undoubtedly the place for you. Celebrating British food and art, this restaurant drips with style with original wood panelling on which artworks by Tracey Emin and Rankin hang. Behind the scenes, celebrated chef Mark Hix has put his recognisable stamp on the menu created by executive chef Lee Streeton, who previously worked alongside Hix at Le Caprice and The Ivy. You can expect your glamorous dining experience to include British classics as well as dishes such as salt-baked Brixham sea bass with Alexanders, or sharing dishes such as slow-cooked shoulder and roasted rump of Warwickshire lamb with Baker's potatoes - but do note that these menus are updated every month as they only use the best British seasonal ingredients and the set menu changes every day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel - Best restaurants in Mayfair ›
Hix Mayfair - Brown's Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since 26 November 2013
business meals (86)special occasions (84)fit for foodies (55)romance (47)pre/post theatre (28)sunday lunch (27)brunch (17)group bookings (17)afternoon tea (17)outstanding value (11)good vegetarian options (9)child friendly (7)disabled access (6)Show More
- Nice atmosphere, friendly staff.ChakraBDined on 19/11/2014Booked on the spur of the moment for a catch up dinner with a friend. Both had two courses and she was a little less impressed with her starter than we both were with the rest of the food which was a treat. Loved the decor which contributed to the ambiance - relaxed and elegant. The staff were very lovely and took good care of us. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best place in Mayfair for me FauliousMayfairSpyDined on 18/11/2014Top marks for Browns The staff were great and the food was excellent.I would really recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hix @Browns HotelBionicGirlDined on 8/11/2014This was the ideal setting for dinner after Bond Street shopping in the rain. Warm and welcoming. Not too stuffy as the modern art makes it feel more relaxed. Empty at 6pm so we got great service but packed by 7pm. Tourists staying at the hotel seem to all go out leaving the restaurant and Hotel open for everyone else. I loved the pictures of sexy men in the ladies loos, Marlon Brando etc. and was surprised that the best one was of Prince William when he was in his late teens! Food was excellent, I was very impressed as it has not been in other Hix restaurants I have been to. Staff were great but felt a tiny bit too exotic and servile for a restaurant serving traditional British food, does that make sense?Special Features:
- Great ResturantKatieKittenDined on 1/11/2014Amazing restaurant the service was amazing, we went for the deal which was lovely. The staff there are impeccable and made the night for us.Special Features:
- Hix menu with hotel serviceCAcaVIPDined on 30/10/2014Good option for Mayfair. Traditional hotel style service, great Hix menu of British classicsSpecial Features:
- Great meal, excellent service.kmesqDined on 27/10/2014I went in with a friend for a set menu, which can always be hit or miss. This time proved to be just excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MzMcDined on 25/10/2014Service was poor, food was pretty average. Mentioned our dissatisfaction all they offered was to take the discretionary Service Charge off the bill. Not what you'd expect from a supposedly high end establishment in Mayfair. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Just great!TifelDined on 22/10/2014We have no complaints. Beautiful setting, amazing service, mouth watering food, enough to fill you up, nice quirky autumn cocktail, and a good 3 course deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivaDined on 18/10/2014Was really looking forward to eating here on the basis of experience in Hix restaurant in Lyme Regis. Won`t be going back. Outrageously expensive for adequate food. To charge £31.50 for a `` full `` lobster salad with about a claw of meat with some lettuce and a bit of dressing is appalling. Meal was rushed, starters plates removed and main course in front of us before we could take breath. £22 for a glass of Blanc de Blanc champagne, described as ``excellent value``was equally outrageous. I will pay anything for a great meal and experience (and have done all over the world) , this was neither.Special Features:
- Perfect 30th CelebrationheartmayfairDined on 18/10/2014I went to Hix for the first time last week for my 30th Birthday celebration with some friends who were travelling from various places in the country to be there. The group had a very staggered arrival time and at no point did the staff show impatience or try to rush the rest of us to order ahead. Very polite waiters and the piped chocolate Happy Birthday on my dessert plate was a nice touch. The value of the meal with the cocktails was outstanding - I definitely will go again and recommend highly to friends. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Hix at BrownsMattBVIPDined on 1/10/2014We had a good meal despite a few minor issues encountered with the menu. The staff were very kind and understanding and did their very best to make have a good meal. The "Kiln roast salmon" was more of a "smoked" taste and thus the tart was very salty, so avoid if like my guest, you don't like salty tarts! The waiter was very kind and replaced that with the soup, which was delicious. My neck of lamb was nice, but as neck is fatty, it would have been better slightly more "done". The accompanying chard was not great and spoiled an otherwise lovely dish. The chocolate mousse was excellent as ever, but the crumble a slight disappointment.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING DINING EXPERIENCEmastercookDined on 20/9/2014I spent a romantic weekend in London to celebrating my wedding anniversary and I really enjoyed dinning at HIX. From the moment we entered the restaurant we were well received, the dinner was excellent. Besides we were given a sweet pastry and a card as anniversary present. I cannot say anything but perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceCrystalVIPDined on 17/9/2014I'd noted on the booking that we were both gluten free and so when they produced gluten free bread without my asking I knew it was going to be a pleasurable dining experience! The Open Table deal was great value but, as ever, be aware that extras such as coffee can bump up the bill quite alarmingly. Although it did come with some lovely truffles.Special Features:
- Excellent service, food and ambientNickelsVIPDined on 12/9/2014This is our favourite restaurant in London. We love the delicious food and excellent service and great ambient.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchPM22Dined on 1/9/2014Lovely restaurant, relaxed atmosphere with friendly attentive staff. The food combinations were gorgeous, scallops delicious. They brought a beautiful dessert platter as a birthday surprise, lovely touch, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wouldn't rush backEIDHVIPDined on 27/8/2014Went to HIX for a lunch with a friend. We were attracted by the set menu but diverted and paid the price. My trout was over cooked but the waiter made up for it by offering us pudding on the house – summer berries and cream from the trolley which were delicious. My friend really liked her food and indeed her veal from the lunch trolley was cooked very nicely. Altogether there wasn’t so much wrong but the ambiance is very formal (rather stiff actually) so unless it was a business lunch perhaps, and somebody else was paying… I wouldn’t rush back – couldn’t afford to either!Special Features:
- Sunday lunch at Browns HoteldiscerningdinerDined on 24/8/2014Beautiful food served in the relaxing, stylish atmosphere of one of London's finest hotels, set the tone for our lovely afternoon at Browns Hotel. Although the dining room was initially very quiet, other diners gradually arrived as the afternoon progressed. We ate delicious Sunday lunch fare made from seasonal British ingredients from the set menu, which included a refreshing, sparkling cocktail to start. The tender pork steak served with black pudding mash and rainbow chard was particularly memorable. Service was attentive and welcoming and we will certainly be back whenever we are in a celebratory mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food but lacked atmosphere...KerryloveDined on 23/8/2014We were looking forward to our visit but upon arrival, was very disappointed with how quiet HIX was. Having previously eaten at several other local restaurants, this was the quietest yet. By 10pm we were the only table of 4 in there, and there was one other table of 2. The food was superb & the service very attentive, spot on. But we did have their full attention! We asked for some background music or something as there was just no atmosphere. We were offered a music playing device next to our table, so as to uninterrupt other diners! We declined. A big shame, had we known was going to lack atmosphere & be so quiet we would have returned to Hakkasan. When I asked why it was so quiet, I was told they are usually busy, it's the time of year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty foodlucyluDined on 19/8/2014I have eaten at a Hix restaurant before and the food was outstanding. We picked a Monday night so the sous chef was probably cooking but this sous chef would have not got through the second round of master chef - the food was totally over salted on all our plates, we had different things. When I told the waiter he just shrugged. The staff were great although we were overcharged and had to point this out. The place is absolutely stunning, the cocktails delicious, they even brought out a profiterole cake as it was my friend's birthday (they kept the half we didn't have in the kitchen rather than box it up, we didn't pay for it so I suppose fair do's but it would have been a nice touch)but all our mains and starters over salted ..eurch xSpecial Features:
- Fantastic cocktailsjvb26Dined on 16/8/2014Great service and cocktails in the bar, tried quite a few of them. the food was good in Hix but nothing special really very homely and basic. We had the set menu which was good value however limited choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodAnge13Dined on 12/8/2014Took my mum here to celebrate her 60th birthday mid week. Very pleased with the food, not cheap but very tasty and excellent quality. Good for special occasions. Also they surprised her at the end with a mini selection of desserts with happy birthday written on the plate. Thank you for the great meal Hix!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I can't give fair ratings for food, service and value because the restaurant was empty when we arrived and it was so uncomfortable being in a completely silent, dead restaurant that we got up and left shortly after sitting down.
- DianaDined on 24/7/2014Fantastic service, extra bag of chocolate truffles at the end and good wheelchair accessSpecial Features:
- Great time at Hix MayfairMorefoodpleaseDined on 12/7/2014Opted for the 3 course and cocktail for £35 which was a great deal. Food was excellent, wine and cocktails were also excellent, service great! We were there for a double birthday so they also brought out some mini desserts with "happy birthday" written on it and a candle which was a lovely touch. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findGood4foodDined on 12/7/2014The setting of Hix in Browns Hotel in Mayfair made it special. The service and food was excellent and the menu for open table was well balanced. I would recommend if you want to meet with a friend or special occasion with a partner. You can talk and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaLindaDined on 8/7/2014I had been to HIX in Soho London and really like the food and the menu and was the reason why I chose HIX again but I must say the menu and the food are not as good as HIX in Soho in particular, I think the menu lacks character and is thoroughly ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningSimonVIPDined on 27/6/2014Really enjoyed the whole experience - Thank you - I will recommend again to friendsSpecial Features:
- Dinner at HIX MayfairtastydinersVIPDined on 26/6/2014This is the second time we have had dinner at HIX Mayfair and like the first visit the food was very good and the service was excellent. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and we had the set menu which was good value for money. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIX MayfairBellaVIPDined on 24/6/2014I had a client lunch at HIX Mayfair - very good choice for a business lunch, pleasently busy but still able to talk and hear - service & food good, would suggest again for a lunch with a client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's DaySeventiesGirlDined on 15/6/2014We spent a lovely evening at the restaurant, the food was excellent and the staff attentive but not over bearing. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor value and food below parThreefriendsDined on 5/6/2014I am very used to dining in Michelin starred restaurants and this was poor. The food was mediocre and rather tasteless, the price high - £100 each, and the service uninspired and not over helpful. Long gap between starter and main course. Not a place we'd return to and I can assure readers there are far superior London restaurants which will treat you better and not cost the earth. Rarely do I feel 'done' by a restaurant bill but I did on this occasion.Special Features:
- Great food and servicesc11Dined on 4/6/2014The food was fantastic although quite limited vegetarian choice. We went at lunchtime and the restaurant was very busy and quite noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice food..as expectedOddieDined on 16/5/2014The food was very good as you'd expect from a HIX restaurant, the decor was very nice and so was the service. Be warned though... the drinks are very expensive.Special Features:
- fantastic girls' night out!Suzy2ShoesVIPDined on 3/5/2014Absolutely lovely Saturday night supper. Amazing fish curry. And pudding!Special Features:
- Great food :-)CarlyDined on 3/5/2014We arrived at 7.30pm on a Saturday, staff were fabulous and food was great only criticism was the atmosphere was lacking, it might have just been a quiet night though :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairBushraDined on 28/4/2014I have always wanted to try Hix and thought would give the toptable offer a go with my husband a couple of good friends. It was a Monday night and the place was not that busy with a few tables of older business types. The service was great. The food itself was ok for the level expected. Though the portions were big, there is not much variety on the plate so you would expect the taste of to be exceptional and it was good but not exceptional. Also the lack of different food groups in the meal is not satisfying. May be the normal price items would have been better.Special Features:
- Great for businessCharleighDined on 28/4/2014Excellent service and great food; nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/4/2014Food boring . Ambience terrible. Service- ok. Cocktails were good though .Special Features:
- All style..no substanceTastyDocVIPDined on 22/4/2014I'd heard a lot about Hix and was very keen to try it out with the open table offer. However I was bitterly disappointed. The service was as expected along with the surroundings but the food was way below par. The starter of asparagus and duck egg salad contained eggs which looked as if they were boiled a day ago and the asparagus was thick and woody (considering it's supposed to be in season). The mains of cod although cooked well, had a thick gruesome looking herb (very salty) crust slapped on which tasted equally exciting. Dessert of chocolate cake off the trolley was dry and lacked finesse. Overall, if you have a lot of money to spare and don't care too much about the taste of the food, this is the place to go.
- Rely good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 19/4/2014The Toptable menu was fantastic value. The food and service were exceptional. The only down side was the cost of the drinks, the wine was fairly expensive with few bottles below the £50 mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.