Hotel du Vin & Bistro - Edinburgh
11 Bristo Place
Edinburgh, EH1 1EZNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Hotel du Vin & Bistro - Edinburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotelduvin.com/hotels/edinburgh/edinburgh.aspx
- Phone: 0131 247 4900
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 5:30pm - 10:00pm Fri - Sa : 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 5:30pm - 10.30pm Sun: 12:30pm - 4:00pm, 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hotel du Vin & Bistro - Edinburgh
Nestled deep in Edinburgh’s Old Town, a short walk from the historic Royal Mile, is Hotel du Vin and Bistro. Renowned for its class and style, Hotel du Vin’s makeover of this former asylum could be considered the jewel in the company’s already glittering crown. A boutique hotel of the highest standard, Hotel du Vin boasts a decadent bar with eclectic wine list and a unique bistro restaurant. With original oak floors and luxuriant furnishings, the bistro is full of character and charm, a lavish choice for choosy diners. The menu features classic European dishes, we love the; Isle of Mull soufflé, the beef and snail pie and think you would have to be mad to miss the profiteroles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hotel du Vin & Bistro - Edinburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (9)romance (6)business meals (5)group bookings (3)sunday lunch (2)fit for foodies (2)outdoor eating (1)child friendly (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- EntertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014Took my grand-daughter and boy friend for an evening meal which we all enjoyed very much, thank you for your attention etc. and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIP-OFF Hotel Du VinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/8/2014Festival Menu is not good value and leaves you feeling like management have just looked to rip off the customer through August. Food was OK, but once you know they have raised prices so much, it leaves alot for the chef to do to make you happy. £30 for a steak here is not justifiable. We would not go back, the prices made our guests uncomfortable, something which would not have happened with the normal menu. There was also shenanigans with the wine list, wine on the menu in the bar, not listed in the restaurant, so forced to order a bottle blind, the selection in the restaurant set to make you pay even more. Very disappointing Very disappointing behaviour from management.
- Bistro - disappointingLou75Dined on 19/8/2014Had previously heard good things however festival menu was very uninspiring and plain. Food came quickly but presentation was basic and food tasted bland. Seemed rather expensive for below average food.
- Pre-comedy mealEmstanDined on 10/8/2014Steak and burgers were very good and enjoyed by all, prices however are not inexpensive.Special Features:
- We had a lovely Sunday lunchFussydinerDined on 10/8/2014This is nice restaurant. The service was good. We went for Sunday lunch which was good value. The food served at the table was excellent. However the buffet was quantity rather than quality. The smoked salmon was virtually tasteless. I love smoked salmon so this was important to me!Special Features:
- Great night outMph27Dined on 19/1/2014Went here for my birthday meal and the ambience and decor were great. The service we received was of the highest class and the food choice was plentiful and the food itself was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a complete let down! BookedJohnBDined on 11/1/2014What a complete let down! Booked this for a Saturday evening meal with my wife. The restaurant called mid-Saturday afternoon to say that they were completely booked for a private function and were cancelling our booking. No attempt to book us a table at another restaurant. No offer of compensation, Just ''sorry about that'' Places like this don't deserve to succeed. !!
- Excellent venue.. but priceydw1970Dined on 1/1/2014The place is excellent...well presented, staff excellent, prompt and supportive..you do feel like thay want you to have a good experience...food very nice indeed. Ideal for special occasions but for a family of four was a bit expensive...In defence of the venue, we knew that when we booked...so this place is great for the special moments that do make you feel special...as it is a special venue throughout....but £150 quid for 4 people and one of them is 11 years old...a little more than expected.... Any ways putting the pricing aside...i doubt you could ever have a bad meal here even if you asked for one.!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scrummy meal - gorgeous settingZoeLVIPDined on 7/12/2013Had a great Christmas meal here to celebrates a birthday. service was good and great choice of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 299 reviews are from the Hotel du Vin & Bistro - Edinburgh reviews archive.
- Second time there. Meal andGrazerDined on 20/11/2013Second time there. Meal and service overall was very good. Just a couple of points, firstly the extra portion of root veg had been roasted just a little too long, and in truth should not have been served up. Secondly the wine is certainly overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is fantastic andMarkVIPDined on 10/11/2013The menu is fantastic and food is amazing - one of the best restaurants in Edinburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to celebrate a birthday,jonandsandraDined on 4/11/2013We went to celebrate a birthday, it was a really good venue with excellent wine, staff and food. Would highly recommend it for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no booking !foodiegirlDined on 18/8/2013Although we booked with top table and had a confirmation there was no record of this once we arrived . Luckily they had a spare table . They had run out of 3 of the 6 starters and 2 of the mains . All in all ok but nothing special .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very welcomingNikkiDined on 17/8/2013My Husband and friends had booked an early table as we were "Doing the Festival" It so happens that I had made a mistake and booked too late as we were due to attend a show.We tried our luck and the staff were so helpful and took us early.The food,service and especially the surroundings were fantastic.I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice romantic lunchRM83Dined on 9/6/2013Hotel du Vin was the perfect venue for a romantic Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlie LunchAnnieBDined on 5/5/2013Good food, lots of choice. Busy enough for atmosphere but quiet enough for a good chat over lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch & Birthday Lunch`jwbuckieDined on 26/4/2013Been twice now; firstly for my birthday; excellent food and service for the 4 of us; the French onion soup is as good as it gets. Secondly, a business lunch and again was not disappointed. Highly recommended. Also, a pre-lunch drink in the upstairs gallery bar is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hugely DisappointingHamishDined on 6/4/2013We went for Saturday lunch. Atmosphere like a student canteen. Staff were pleasant enough but the food was pretty poor - especially considering the price. At half the price it would have still been disappointing but at least we wouldn't have felt we'd been ripped off. We know restaurants in Edinburgh serving similar food, but of a much higher standard in much nicer surroundings, and at roughly half the price. Don't go is our advice.
- Another high quality Hotel du VinCharlesMDined on 5/4/2013Having visited other restaurants in this group we had high expectation, which were well met. High quality food, with no pretentiousness, in very pleasant dark club like surroundings. Excellent service, very good wine, as would be expected, and a pleasingly economic bill for such a quality experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mother's DayDavidPVIPDined on 10/3/2013I've never ticked as many "what do you recommend this restaurant for" boxes! We dined at Hotel du Vin for Mother's Day, with the four-course brunch menu. The menu itself was good. There was an initial soup course (a well-presented, creamy potato & bacon soup) and plenty of choice for mains, including "pie of the day" and "catch of the day" - the latter of which I had, a truly colossal piece of freshly grilled tuna. Plenty choice for dessert too. But the main attraction was the "market table" starter - a buffet piled high with freshly dressed crab, lobster, oysters, charcuterie (including iberian pork on-the-leg), stuffed veg, you name it. Fantastic and great to try such a variety of dishes. Oh and a great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private Dining - a nice treatMikoBDined on 9/3/2013As a group of 8 with 3 children under 5 we were a little apprehensive of how that would go in a busy bistro on a rugby day. Fortunately they have a lovely little private dining room which we were redirected to, so while we had a decent lunch, with gorgeous wine (very reasonable list) the kids were able to play without getting too much underfoot. We did feel a little forgotten sometimes, but as were chatting away this was infrequent. The food wasa bit hit and miss, starters were all received very well, main courses, pork belly was excellent, but the burger, whilst large didn't deliver much flavour. Kids macaroni cheese (off menu) was nice, and nice to have a local beer on tap. The Cigar bothy out front is genius!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food wonderful ambienceScotlandNellDined on 16/2/2013Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh is a great place to eat. Dinner for 4 on a Saturday evening proved a winner. Great ambience, efficient staff and wonderful food. Will definitely return and would recommend it to all. £200 approx. for dinner for 4 with wine and drinks.Special Features:
- hotel du vin and bistro edinburghHoneyDined on 2/2/2013The restaurant had the decor of a french bistro and was warm and welcoming. The staff were very attentive. The food from the special offer menu was delicious and very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hotel du vin and bistro edinburghHoneyDined on 1/2/2013This was our second visit in a weekend to Edinburgh as we loved it so much the first night we thought we would visit again with our friends. They enjoyed it just as much and commented on the lovely decor which was warm and inviting even on a cold winter evening. The menu had changed and so we were able to chose different dishes which were just as good as the first evening and such good value too. The staff remembered us and were just as attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentEdinburgheaters2VIPDined on 26/1/2013I like to be fair in these reviews, but this was not a good one. There were 4 main course. 2 were rosotto and kedgiree, both nothing great, my rosotto had a crumbled square of goat's cheese you could hardly see and 2 pieces of beetroot. Very cheap. Another had a suppliment and it was the meat option. Poor choice to serve. With a small and large glass of wine, the £15 tag came to just off £50. We had been at Fishers in the City the day before. Could learn a lot from them!!!! The staff were remote, but pleasant, but that didn't save it.
- There's no hurryJuanDined on 23/1/2013Despite the restaurant only being half-full (or half-empty, depending on your point of view), staff seemed to be in no hurry to serve any meals. The food, when it finally came, was very good though the portions left you wanting another bite. The restaurant setting was pleasant for a Wednesday evening - not too crowded, but not too silent either. If it wasn't for the 50% off offer, the food would be far too expensive!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Hotel du VinLoupieDined on 17/1/2013A generally very good experience with attentive staff and atmosphere. Restaurant was not very full and perhaps a little cold due inclement weather outside, but decor was pleasing and suitable for a special occasion. We both had mussells - mine were very good although my wife's portion had about 25% which had not opened. That apart, the rest of the food was very good. My beef buorginone on the bone was excellent and the seafood starter was very good indeed. Good value for money and we will return soon.Special Features:
- hotel du vinnelsonDined on 15/1/2013A friend and I went on a Tuesday evening,We had the fixed price menu.The food was good, as was the service. The didning room was not busy, but it had a pleasant ambience nonetheless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodVonnieDined on 15/1/2013Great value available at Hotel du Vin at the moment. Service is consistently excellent and food very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was chosen on spec asGrazerDined on 11/1/2013This was chosen on spec as there was an offer of 50% off al'carte menu The staff, food, wine 10 out of 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theatre DinnerCrosswordDined on 11/1/2013The food was excellent, especially the mains - pork belly and beef bourguignon. Food can be a little slow at times though on this occasion isn't wasn't too bad. This is definitely a 70-90 minute for starter and main restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple et bonBabyscotlandDined on 1/1/2013Décor sympathique qui se veut français, la cuisine est simple et bon comme dans un bistrot. Ce n est pas un grand restaurant mais les plats sont copieux. Seul le service n est pas à la hauteur: nous avons eu nos boissons 10mn après avoir eu nos plats...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EvelostintranslationDined on 31/12/2012We had a thoroughly good meal at Hotel Du Vin on New Years Eve. The food was to a good standard, excellent choice of wines and staff were friendly and accommodating. Would recommend although think that it is slightly over priced if being very criticalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantdianeDined on 31/12/2012I love this place. I go whenever I can - great atmosphere, wonderful service, amazing wine cellar!Special Features:
- Value is greatLin0523Dined on 30/12/2012This is the second time I went for Sunday brunch, still great value! But the service could be improved.Special Features:
- Christmas eve delightJTowersVIPDined on 24/12/2012Fabulous location for Christmas eve dinner with family. The ambience, the way the dining area was decorated and good discreet service was just what we were looking for. Nice Christmas menu too. Whilst Christmas eve wasnt the night to sit outside, it looked nice for a sunny warm day (or even cold sunny day if you get the fire side spot!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, some good wines,GastroGnomeDined on 23/12/2012Decent food, some good wines, but overall rather overpriced for the experience. Soufflé oven was apparently broken (?) and a number of menu items (seafood) were limited to just a single serving (it was Sunday evening). The 'sommelier's choice' selections we had from the wine list were both good (a 2009 Cotes du Rhines Villages and a 2010 Jumilla); table service was generally patchy unfortunately (water refills, replacement cutlery, missing steak knives).
- Brunch Offer good valuemiserdinerDined on 23/12/2012But left a little disappointed. Started well with artichoke and chestnut soup, which was very tasty, although not as hot as I would have liked. Then moved on to the excellent market table - my recommendation to the HDV leave it at that! The main course was adequate only. Nice poached salmon, huge burgers but nothing special. The plaice was not whole (unavailable) and overcooked. The veg was dreadful. Soggy chips, last night's roast potatoes reheated and under cooked carrots and sprouts. The waiter was incredibly polite and helpful though and service was good. The venue itself was deserted and too cold and sterile really to make you want to hang around. A shame as the hotel is actually a nice place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience was great! High expectatioBoom07Dined on 18/12/2012Ambience was great! High expectations! Chateaux Briand was not cooked to our tasting. Too raw. Beef was not as soft as can be. Cooked vegetables were to raw to our liking. Service: had to ask 4 times for a jug of water. Overall... disappointing.
- Fabulous Christmas Night OutJuzzaBDined on 14/12/2012Nine of us attended Hotel Du Vin for our Christmas Night Out and we were in the Bedlam Room (private dining) and it was great. The meal, the wine, the service and the setting was excellent. Would recommend this for a special occasion or family gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.