282 Burlington Road
New Malden, Surrey KT3 4NLNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.il-camino.co.uk/
- Phone: 02089421932
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm; 7pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: music nights,charity events
A word from Il Camino
A fixture on the New Malden dining scene since 1974, Il Camino is a family run Italian restaurant with a traditional vibe and great food. A real favourite with New Malden locals, this dining room has gone from strength to strength over the years, providing a consistently excellent experience with refined silver service from friendly, accommodating staff and a classic, sophisticated look and feel perfect for those very special occasions. Focusing on Italian and English food, Il Camino offers the kind of theatrical dining that seems sadly to be rarer and rarer elsewhere with flambéing, carving and filleting taking place at the table. A fish trolley provides guests with a whole host of freshly caught seafood to choose from and Il Camino’s chef is an enthusiastic user of game, with seasonal options often finding their way on to his menu alongside the pasta dishes, grills and other regional Italian and English specialties. A comprehensive wine list provides the diner with a wide range of aContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Il Camino - Best restaurants in New Malden ›
Il Camino reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since 23 October 2013
special occasions (8)romance (7)business meals (6)fit for foodies (5)group bookings (3)disabled access (2)outstanding value (2)outdoor eating (1)child friendly (1)good vegetarian options (1)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- special occasionccathyandlarryDined on 19/9/2014We have been to this restaurant several times mostly on special occasions and have never been disappointed. Great personal service and good food selection bit more pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another lovely mealAlisonDined on 30/8/2014Once again. Il Camino got it right. Good food and friendly staff who strike just the right balance to make for a relaxed meal out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian delightCJFoodieDined on 23/5/2014The Il Camino never disappoints - beautifully cooked Italian food. I have been going to this restaurant with family and friends over a number of years. There is a wide range to choose from, Italian dishes and specials which include fresh fish that can be cooked in a number of ways - we had the halibut which was served on a bed of spinach with a light cheese sauce. I went with my cousin and we enjoyed a lovely bottle of Sicilian white wine which was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to old favouriteAnnon9Dined on 8/3/2014Went back on Saturday to Ill Camino after too long. Still an intimate restaurant and good food. However, I had smoked salmon as a starter which I felt could have been better. To elaborate, it was served on a medium sized plate with nothing but a wedge of lemon. Although simple it needed trimmings to make it attractive. Main course was steak Diane, which as usual was excellent and this is one of the few restaurants that know how to do this properly. My wife and daughter had grilled prawns and soup respectively for starter which were both excellent. Main course was filet steak and liver, again perfect. The wine is not cheap but worth the extra. Overall, a great restaurant, not the cheapest but the ambiance makes it intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a fading memory of times pastmaldenkt3Dined on 25/2/2014I knew Il Camino's in the 1980a when it was THE place for a local business lunch and it was always packed out every day from noon to three with expense lunches for businessmen. I returned last week with a certain trepidation for I had an important colleague I owed, who liked Italian cuisine Caminos still served the high quality food i remember and the sole was superb, Service was faultless as it should be as there was only my friend and I in the restaurant. Not cheap at £102 just a glass of wine each but very pleasant and deserves more patronage weekdays I am sure as we move on to the next boom in the boom/bust cycle of British business it will return to fully booked when money is less tight, Booked through the internet OK no probSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ab fab food!kazinlindosDined on 19/2/2014Had a fabulous evening in Il Camino with all the ingredients of a great night out..delicious food, attentive service and a friendly welcome... Even the other diners were entertaining and good company. The butterfly prawns in garlic and wine are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent eveningCharlotteDined on 3/1/2014As usual, the friendly owners displayed their wonderful array of fresh seafood, and we were once again delighted by the flavour and freshness. We sampled the sole, scallops and gamberoni; all of which were superb. We followed this experience with the simply divine zabaglione (and some trifle), which is an opportunity never to be missed. Thank you once againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine fish at Il CaminoCharlotteDined on 15/11/2013Once again, Il Camino scores highly with all my family. The fish was superb as always - wonderfully fresh (and Dover Sole perfectly rested) and perfectly cooked - and mine host was on his usual good form. My analogy to the zabaglione is probably not printable on toptable - but it was very very good. Thank you for another excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 29 reviews are from the Il Camino reviews archive.
- great Italian, the real thingfoodfanDined on 27/9/2013Its always a treat to visit Carlo and Il Camino. The food is excellent, the anticipation of the arrival of the fish tro;;ey is always exciting ! The garlic prawns are huge abd amazing, my fovourite thing ever !! Steak, veal, fish all excellent. The dessert trolley is hard to resist and they always recommend cream ! A great place for foodies, but dont go with boring dieters ! Love it !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal and Rod StewartditaffDined on 26/9/2013My daughter and I had a lovely evening, we both love Rod Stewart and the Tribute act did not let us down, he even spoke like Rod. Just to mention, the food was very good too, all in all a very enjoyable even, although there is a £1 cover charge per person and they automatically add a tip, which I am not keen on as tips should be at the customers discretion, having said that we would have given a tip anyhow as they DID deserve one!Special Features:
- Nice restaurant - would use againAlisonDined on 31/8/2013Went for a meal out with family members - waiter was very friendly and struck a good balance between joking with us and leaving us to get on with our meal. Food was tasty and place nice.
- An old favouriteCharlotteDined on 1/3/2013Don't be put off by the area, as the food and friendly service is worth it. Essentially, a family run restaurant that has developed a loyal clientele over many successful years. They specialise in fresh fish; and if you ask the chef really nicely, he'll do one of his famous zabagliones. Take a cushion though - the seats are not comfortable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slight disappointmentMikeyDined on 12/1/2013Well, we have visited this local restaurant on several occasions. This time was slightly disappointing. In particular, several of our diners ordered the rack of lamb. This, as usual, was carved and served at the table. But the first diner was given all the largest chops, and then they gradually diminished until the fourth diner received the tiniest ones at the end (and with most fat). This should have been more evenly distributed. My Scallopine al Marsala was somehow much blander than usual. And finally - those bread rolls must win an award for the worst in London ! Come on guys - really flavoursome rolls are really easy to source; yours have always been exceedingly dry, and on this night they were incredibly salty.Special Features:
- Our meal at Il Camino wasmarekjDined on 4/12/2012Our meal at Il Camino was a pleasure. The food was good, served with a smile and ample time given to enjoy it, unlike some places where the waiters try to take away your plate to make way for the next course. Local car parking can be problematic, but other than that all I can say is try Il Camino and you won't be disappointed. I wish I could award half stars, because Il Camino does deserve 4 1/2 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian foodMrCreosoteVIPDined on 19/10/2012Dinner at Il Camino was very pleasant, despite some boorishly loud customers (not te restaurant's fault)I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd come againpiggedoutDined on 27/7/2012I was looking for somewhere near Raynes Park and thought I'd give Il Camino a try. It's a bit of a walk from the station but well worth the effort. My guests loved it. Everyone was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is a simple equationchampagneornothingDined on 3/5/2012There is a simple equation for a good restaurant and Il Camino does not understand the maths. A passion for food and people is required and I felt this restaurant's main interest was profit. The menu was expensive and the quality did not match the prices. Worse, overattentiveness of service borne out of a false sense of hospitality and three inaccuracies on the bill which did not match the menu prices along with average old fashioned Italian food made for an expensive & disappointing evening.
- The food, the service, theReviewerDined on 27/4/2012The food, the service, the atmosphere all 1st rate. Loved the silver service! It was like stepping back in time, but in a lovely way. Il Camino is in an unlikely location, but don't let that put you off. I loved it.
- An enjoyably retro experience,DurbanGastronautDined on 24/3/2012An enjoyably retro experience, Il Camino in New Malden has been around since '74 and it serves accomplished 'old-school' Italian food from that era. Seating was tight on a Saturday, and we were wedged into a corner, but service was still attentive. Portion sizes for mains were generous, even if the seasoning was a little uneven (one veal dish was too sweet, the other too salty due to the Parma ham.) A New Malden institution!
- Went to Il Camino with husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 21/3/2012Went to Il Camino with husband and my dad for a meal on weekday evening. We were very well looked after by the team! Excellent, friendly service and a wonderful varied menu to choose from. I had prawns in white wine and garlic butter to begin with and seafood spaghetti for my main - it was delicious! Fresh, tasty ingredients and healthy portions :) The boys enjoyed their veal steaks too. A very good find in the New Malden area - will def go back.
- Il Camino in New Malden hasCReevesDined on 18/3/2012Il Camino in New Malden has fabulous food. One of the best steaks I've had and with 4 of us ordering the full range of rare to well done, we were very pleased to receive them all just as asked. Good service and lots of character - it's an experience as well as a meal out! I shall definitely return.
- We went to Il Camino in NewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2012We went to Il Camino in New Malden/Worcester Park for lunch on Sunday and the food was excellent. It had been refurbished since our last visit and is brighter and more spacious. The service was really good and we will certainly be going back soon
- Authentic Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2012Authentic Italian restaurant with fresh seafood. Il Camino New Malden.
- Excellent as always! The fishCharlotteDined on 10/2/2012Excellent as always! The fish is superb - we had both monkfish and scampi which were wonderfully fresh with a delicious tomato sauce. Only sorry we couldn't fit in the Zabaglione this time! Best wishes
- Great food and service forJaneDined on 26/1/2012Great food and service for Itarian restaurant around New Malden. Very good spaghetti vongole. Cosy atmosphere.
- Il Camino, New Malden. A great,MikeyDined on 23/1/2012Il Camino, New Malden. A great, quiet venue. The meat dishes were superb. The liver in Fegato Savelro was just melting. The rack of lamb coated in mustard and breadcrumbs brought rave reviews from two of our diners. Veal escalopes, as one might expect, were equally good. These guys must have a good butcher to supply them. The service is old-style, in the best way - carved, flambeed and served from a trolley at your table. If you have room for more, try the fresh oranges in Grand Marnier !
- WonderfulJonnyDined on 9/1/2012I love this restaurant, it's at the end of my road and the food is amazing. A proper Italian restaurant, no pizza! The staff are amazingly well mannered, and really make your evening something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service and goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 18/11/2011Attentive service and good food with generous portions. House wine was good value.
- Il Camino in New Malden isCharlotteDined on 16/11/2011Il Camino in New Malden is consistently good with an excellent selection of fish, nice warm bread, sensibly priced decent house wine and friendly service. Their Zabaglione are sublime - the best for miles around. You can sit outside in summer - OK, not the greatest of views but at least you can (and the people next door will fix your car number plates etc!! while you dine) Highly recommended - always enjoyable
- This is a great family runOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 26/10/2011This is a great family run italian. I've lived around the area for a a number of years and never really noticed this place, I am glad I finally did. I will certainly be returning. Great friendly service, excellent food and very good value.
- Once again, we had excellentFoodieDined on 18/10/2011Once again, we had excellent food and service at this small local Italian restaurant Il Camino. Both our schnitzel and seabass fillets were cooked perfectly with excellent vegetables to accompany. What a shame the restaurant was so quiet on the midweek evening we were there. Its a gem and should be well supported. Its wonderful to always have such a good choice of fresh fish.
- we enjoyed our meal at IlmarekjDined on 1/9/2011we enjoyed our meal at Il Camino very much. The restaurant is on a main road but the traffic noise was simply not an issue. The food was good and the service was on the most part fine, although one of the waiters could perhaps learn to smile to his clients. Most "offers" only have a very limited choice on the set menu, but Il Camino in fact offers a wide selection at a very reasonable price. I had the veal, which was excellent. I suspect that we will return to Il Camino in the future
- A return visit to Il CaminoFoodieDined on 25/8/2011A return visit to Il Camino after at least 5 years! Good to see improvement in layout/decor. The £17.95 three-course meal is excellent value. Large platter of many fresh fish shown to each table with suggestions of cooking method but happy to prepare the fish to your choice. A la carte menu covers all tastes. To end the meal was a traditional dessert trolley full of goodies! My Husband's schnitzel was superb with large choice of veg. My SeaBass also excellent. We will return.
- We went for a lunch time setOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 24/8/2011We went for a lunch time set menu. Was excellent value and really enjoyable! The food was fantastic, big portions, authentic Italian. The whole place reminded us of when we went travelling ariubd Italy a few years ago! On the down side the waiters did keep checking on us, and there could have been more of a selection for dessert. Very minor quibbles, we will definitley be going back!
- Il Camino, Excellent traditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 18/8/2011Il Camino, Excellent traditional italian restaurant near New Malden. Very attentive service. Fresh sea bass highly recommended. Very busy for a wet thursday evening which show its popularity.
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2011This was our first visit to II Camino . Food was superb and backed up with a very attentive and friendly service. The fresh fish board that is brought to the table before ordering was a nice touch, however if I have one criticism it has to be the Couvert of £2 which appeared on our bill for what one assumed was a complimentary bread roll that was brought round when we sat down at our table! However we will probably eat there again soon but will pass on the bread rolls!
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourKitzDaveDined on 11/6/2011We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to Il Camino. The service was excellent and the food and wine were delicious. I am glad we have found a good restaurant close to home; we will certainly return! Apparently we were the first booking via Top Table for the restaurant; I hope there are many more!