12 Denman Street
London, W1D 7HHNeighbourhood:
ItalianPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcucciolorestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02074370302
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Il Cucciolo
Il Cucciolo could win an award for cuteness with its two arched fairy light-filled windows either side of a small arched door just up the street from Technicolor Piccadilly Circus. Inside is as cosy as you’d expect; neatly dressed tables subtly illuminated by faux candle wall lamps. Patient, polite staff expertly serves a modest range of traditional Italian pasta, meat, vegetarian, rice and fish dishes. Carefully-prepared specials change daily alongside a very good value set menu!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Cucciolo reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since 24 May 2014
pre/post theatre (34)outstanding value (10)special occasions (9)group bookings (6)child friendly (4)fit for foodies (4)romance (4)business meals (4)sunday lunch (2)good vegetarian options (2)brunch (1)Show More
- Thriller dinner!LuvrestsVIPDined on 5/9/2014This Restaurant is just along the road from the "Thriller Live" show at the Lyric Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue. So nice Italian food was the perfect end to the evening. Excellent location for post theatre. We both had the Saltimbocca alla Roman - and it was delicious. This was the first time at this restaurant and I look forward to coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, rapid serviceKerpowdeeDined on 30/8/2014We went to this restaurant for a pre theatre meal. It's ideal for that, they had us in and out with three courses in 45 minutes. The food is good authentic Italian and there is a very good value set menu. Downsides are that you do feel slightly rushed and also the proximity of your fellow diners. Tables are pulled away from the wall, you're squeezed in and then the table is moved back and you have little more than elbow room between the next door table. I would still recommend for the value and speed of service, but not one for a romantic meal for two, highchairs or wheelchairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family run Italian RestaurantATTYDined on 19/7/2014My Wife and I booked a meal here because it was very close to the theatre and we love good Italian food. We were so pleased to find authentic, reasonable priced Italian dishes, a lovely dining atmosphere and a charming host. This was the perfect place to eat before heading off to the theatre to see Jersey Boys. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- classic italian cuisinegarlicfiendDined on 31/5/2014Previous reviews said classic 'old fashioned' Italian cuisine and knew this is what I was looking for. Stuck in the 1980's maybe -oh yeah bring it on. I for one am sick to the back teeth of 'modern' italian restuarants where they can just about make a pizza or a plate of pasta. Same old,same old wherever you go and we can all boil up a bit of pasta and chuck some sauce on it can't we. I want the real old garlic laced food and good service. We got just what we wanted-menu a little limited but hey I would rather have a few dishes excellently cooked than many poorly done ones.Only gripe was the dessert menu-I had home made tiramisu which was lovely but virtually everything else was bought in ice creams in a coconut shell etc etc-boring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 26/4/2014good honest italian food--nicely served--very pleasant staff---reasonably priced---well situated for the teatresSpecial Features:
- Lovely dinner!chlindomeswedenDined on 15/4/2014Went there with my family and I must say that it was a lovely dinner! Good food and wine! And a great service! We can really recommend it!Special Features:
- Lunchtime ExperienceRob1Dined on 9/4/2014Took our granddaughters there for lunch prior to visit to theatre. Good experience enjoyed by all although there was a problem paying by credit card as there was no signal to complete transaction. As we were short of time had to raid the family purse and pay with cash which was not very convenient. Luckily we had enough cash otherwise we could have had a major problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian.DennyDined on 5/4/2014We went here before visiting the Piccadilly theatre which is literally next door. Small family run restaurant, full at 6pm on a Saturday. Good old-fashioned food which was simple but so tasty. I would definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theatre lunchyummymummyDined on 29/3/2014love this place, staff very friendly, food was yummy, full of italian diners which speaks volumes. can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal pre-theatrePaulaHDined on 27/3/2014We dined at Il Cucciolo before the theatre. It's a very traditional set up, some might say styled on dining out in the 90s. Food was basic and tasty.Special Features:
- We arrived late, but the restauranttaminlondonDined on 21/3/2014We arrived late, but the restaurant had saved our table and made sure we had our food before rushing to the theatre. Food was flavourful and arrived in time. Much appreciated!Special Features:
- A 'must' for theatre goersdoctorsordersDined on 21/3/2014I thought it was a great pre-theatre restaurant, being only a short saunter round the corner to Shaftsbury Avenue. It's also clearly popular as it remained busy from our early arrival time of 5.30pm till we left for our theatre visit. We thought the food was delicious and offered good value for money. The service was also quick and attentive. We'll definitely return and I recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely worth consideringloveitalyDined on 15/3/2014my wife & I booked for a pre-theatre dinner - just as well as it was packed! Despite that, the service was friendly and efficient and what you'd expect from a typical family-run restaurant in Italy. The selection on the menu was good but we went for the 2-course set meal which was good value and quality. We booked for 5.30 and had a relaxed meal leaving at 7.15. We were not rushed at all and we'd certainly recommend Il Cucciolo for good food and wine at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unhappy about service charge.VivsyDined on 8/2/2014Fast turnover for first and second courses which were attractively presented and tasty. Busy restaurant which may explain lack of service later as no one came to offer pudding or coffee! Disappointed when bill presented to see a service charge added for about 12% considering there were only three in our party. I would like to see this removed as tipping should be at the discretion of the guests!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualJonesDined on 8/2/2014Yet again we had a fabulous meal at this Restaurant. The food the service and the atmosphere were brilliant. Definitely keep going back!!Special Features:
- Excellent pre-theatre restaurantPaulGDined on 4/2/2014Situated next to the Piccadilly Theatre this was an ideal place to go before a show. The service was quick and very friendly and the set menu decent value for theatreland. A few more veggie options would have been nice, but in a range of 3 options it was nice to see one. If we were in the area we'd certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LITTLE GEM OF A PLACE!!RubsterDined on 25/1/2014This place is fantastic! The food is delicious and very good value for money. The staff are polite,friendly and the service is excellent. Ideal to go after a show, fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Piccadilly theatreJaneDined on 22/1/2014This super family run Italian restaurant has a lovely ambiance with good value food served efficiently and with great charm. Being almost immediately next door to the Piccadilly Theatre it is an ideal venue for a pre-theatre meal and I would highly recommend it. Good value, probably best to book !Special Features:
- didn't disappointBev1903Dined on 7/12/2013Visited this restaurant many times a few years ago. Booked last weekend to eat with friends visiting from overseas. Was a very nice dinner and our friends loved it!!Special Features:
- Green minestrone soup! WaiterTonyandJackyDined on 22/11/2013Green minestrone soup! Waiter almost throw cutlery on our table.
- Pre theatrePartyDined on 22/10/2013Wanted an Italian restaurant close to the Piccadilly Theatre. Didn't realise how close we were. Arrived later than booked. Thought might have lost booking but no problem. We were welcomed & served quickly. Liked that we could check menu beforehand. All enjoyed their meals &was good value.Special Features:
- Cute placeyumyumDined on 17/10/2013It is a very cute and traditional looking restaurant run by an Italian family. Unfortunately they have changed to offer a very English/Italian menu without the traditional freshness of Italian food. However, for a quick pre-theatre meal they offer good value and fast service with a smile.Special Features:
- Average fairNiallDined on 27/9/2013Judging by the previous reviews I was expecting much better. This is quick Italian food catering to the people who pay overpriced tickets, mostly tourists, to watch the theatre next door. The food was luke warm, the cutlery thrown onto the table and the only saving grace was the coffee.Special Features:
- The following 137 reviews are from the Il Cucciolo reviews archive.
- Italian familyneilDined on 5/9/2013Il Cucciolo is well established and well known. It is a reliable and 'classic' family Italian restaurant right in the centre of the West End. It is unpretentious with reliable good Italian fare and without inflated prices. We went at 6pm as a pre-theatre (7.30) meal: all very straightforward and without feeling rushed. NeilSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterJulieDined on 15/8/2013Friendly and traditional Italian. Dined here on Thursday night and chose the pre-theatre menu. Sardines and avocado salad were both very good. The penne looked a bit overcooked but was OK. My trout was dry and tasteless. We both had the crème caramels, which were billed as homemade. These were very solid and quite poor. Overall I wouldn't go back as I feel that there are other places around which are better value for money.
- Lovely Little ItalianGForceVIPDined on 29/7/2013I took my team here for lunch one Monday lunch time and despite the view from outside which looks uninspiring, it was lovely traditional Italian food at a good price. We were a table of 7 and quite noisy but the rest of the restaurant was empty lunchtime. Food very authentic and very fresh. Service fine. Just lacks a bit of atmosphere but good if you provide your own group and buzz.Special Features:
- Great pre theatre diningSarahthemagDined on 5/7/2013Il Cucciolo is a traditional 'old style' Italian restaurant. We had intended to have the 2 course set menu (£12.95) before going to the theatre but the a la carte menu was so reasonable we chose from that in the end as we wanted a wider range of dishes. The service was quick and the food delicious. We would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Quiet itialiansilvergemDined on 17/6/2013We went after the theatre rush, so it was very quiet. Seems local Italian families rate it, which is always a good sign. Food arrived promptly and hot, service was quick but not intrusive.Special Features:
- This is NOT Mexican food.DissatisfiedDined on 15/6/2013The nachos, although advertised as containing beef, had nothing more than a cheap CANNED chili poured over them & only a couple of tablespoons at that! This was the poorest excuse for a Mexican restaurant I have ever seen, & the worst food experience we encountered in our 22-day holiday.
- We booked an early table asSilvaladyDined on 18/5/2013We booked an early table as we had a show to see. The service was attentive, though not too in your face, and the waittresses and waitors were very friendly and helpful. We were able to have a nice relaxing meal without feeling rushed. The food was delicious, fresh and well presented. I noticed that there were quite a few Italians dining which was encouraging but there was also large groups/families and they received the same attentive care as our table for 2. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Altogether the experience was excellent and we would defintely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good "family" ItalianHelenDined on 8/4/2013Good location for theatres, reasonably standard italian trattoria menu with some twists. Friendly service.Special Features:
- A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!!AEG1Dined on 8/3/2013Had dinner here on Fri night. It was nice and busy and bustling. Greeted by Italian owner at the door. The food was outstanding - proper Italian where you only need a few ingredients and your meal is incredibly tasty. I will definitely go back here. I want to go through the whole menu! It seems very popular - as if the secret has got out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il Cucciolo Is ExcellentWilloughbyDined on 28/2/2013Purely by chance my wife and I ended up at Il Cucciolo prior to attending a theatre show after being unable to get a table at our first choice restaurant. This proved to be good fortune on our part since we discovered a wonderful traditional Italian family restaurant where food is freshly prepared and served piping hot in generous portions. The service is first class - friendly and prompt without making you feel rushed. All the best Italian dishes are available on the menu with a home-cooked element to make them a little more unique to the restaurant and the wine list includes numerous reasonably priced good quality choices. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boyfriend and i went for arh123Dined on 14/2/2013Boyfriend and i went for a meal here for valentines day, amazing food and the owners couldn't have been more hospitable. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointed with main.pkparmarDined on 8/2/2013We had a reservation booked.for my hubby's birthday and as we.were going to theatre straight after we booked an early sitting of 5pm. The service was good up untill it started to get busy then it wasn't so good. We waited for 15 minutes after asking for our bill and as we were going theatre was quite pushed for time. There only.seemed to be 2waiters working and it wasa friday evening. The starters were lovely very warm and fresh. My husband had ravioli with a meat sauce which he enjoyed for his main. I had a chicken pasta. It was cold and didnt taste fresh it actually tasted like it had come.out of a microwave so i wasnt very pleased with it and ended up leaving it. The dessert was nothing special.
- Wonderful :)MilaDined on 26/1/2013We came as a group for a surprise birthday dinner and the staff helped with the surprise. they dimmed the lights as they brought out the cake and sang to the birthday girl. This made it more special :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little GemJonesDined on 5/1/2013Love this little restaurant. The atmosphere is great, the staff are helpful but unintrusive - the food was excellent and good value for money. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre dinnerWinodino56Dined on 4/1/2013We booked this restaurant after doing a little research on the area before a family trip to the theatre, we arrived slightly later than intended but were met politely, quickly sat down and had our orders taken. We were quite tight for time but this did not seem to phase the team and although the restaurant was packed our food and drinks arrived promptly and were of good quality. The only slight negative was I thought the wine was expensive for what it was (a basic house Chianti), however it was very drinkable! A classic little Italian in the heart of theatreland, it is what it is but highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but nothing special!DinelondonDined on 15/12/2012Close to theatre, easy to fine, average food- not amazing but perfectly pleasant, not too bad prices considering location. We felt rushed! Big time! Served our main before checking if we finished out starter. Didn't allow us to finish staters just dumped the main down- slow with offering puddings, collecting bill- seemed over subscribed with people and not managing it that well. Bit disappointed as we bothered booming a table. So all in all ok for a quick bite to eat in good location- but not the best end to a special theatre trip.Special Features:
- a proper family run Soho taliancotswoldchrisDined on 13/12/2012Il Picciolo is close to the west end theatres and offers good food and a lively atmosphere. If it is a good value buzzy little Italian restaurant you are looking for in Soho...you just found it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.