Cornhill, Royal Exchange
London, EC3V 3LLNeighbourhood:
ChinesePrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orientalrestaurantgroup.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076263437
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering for offices within The Square Mile.
- Private Party Facilities: Imperial City is available for private hire. We can accommodate up to 250 for a sit down dinner and up to 400 for a standing reception. We also offer a private dining room with traditional round table where we can accommodate up to 16 people seating or up to 30 standing. For larger parties it is possible to use either one of the dining sections, or both for exclusive use. For a less formal party, the bar area can hold up to 40 guests. We are a contemporary alternative for wedding receptions. The venue can be hired exclusively on weekends and accommodates up to 400 for a standing drinks and canapé reception, or 120 for a seated meal within the restaurant served on traditional round tables, followed by drinks and dancing.
- Private Party Contact: Stefania Alban 07711091544
- Entertainment: All kind of entertainments can be arranged.
A word from Imperial City
Situated in the undercroft of the Royal Exchange building in the City of London, Imperial City is not simply a restaurant serving the best mouth-watering Oriental cuisine available, but providing its diners with a completely authentic Oriental experience. Imperial City’s groundbreaking menu complements the restaurant’s decadent and boudoir-style surroundings. The avant-garde style of food at Imperial City such as fresh lobster with ginger & spring onions to sizzling fillet of been in Cantonese style, along with tempting deserts such as Imperial lotus pancakes. There are a couple of interesting features which make this restaurant stand out from the crowd. An interesting water feature acts as a main centrepiece in the dining area, which thanks to some mood lighting, gives a strong effect. In the private dining room there is an authentic and highly valuable Chinese emperor’s robe which hangs proudly from the wall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Imperial City - Best restaurants in Bank ›
Imperial City reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since 31 October 2013
business meals (57)group bookings (29)special occasions (17)romance (13)fit for foodies (9)good vegetarian options (7)brunch (2)outstanding value (1)sunday lunch (1)child friendly (1)pre/post theatre (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- LunchNatBVIPDined on 28/10/2014Good food, excellent service, a really good varied choice of menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningStu77Dined on 17/10/2014This was my first time at Imperial City and it won't be the last. The service and food were fantastic, especially for a group of 11 out for birthday celebrations. To make it easier we had the set menu 2 option and the array of food was just perfect, especially the crispy duck which was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor quality foodhungryVIPDined on 16/10/2014I have to say that this was one of the most disappointing meals I have had for a long time. The squid was over cooked, chicken with black bean sauce was adequate and the service was indifferent. The best thing were the pancakes for the Peking Duck. Definitely not worth the money
- My guests always enjoy this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Imperial City has an unobtrusive entrance so I walked past it for ages before somebody invited me to lunch there. I have used it frequently now for business lunches - my guests have always commented unasked on the good food - which together with the subdued lighting and the fact you can have a conversation which feels private makes for a conducive environment. If you tell them you are in a hurry they can rustle up the food quickly; equally, they are happy for you to stay there for a good long time.Special Features:
- Imperial cityhmcooperDined on 3/10/2014To be honest I've never really gone out in London and experienced the dining life that it has to offer. But getting to imperial city and entering the small, well decorated room with a set of spiral stairs down it had me intrigued. Upon desending down the stairs it opened up a well themed and presented establishment and quiet frankly I was taken for words. Definitely a great place for a quiet date. Very sophisticated and the staff were ever so helpful and polite. Once we sat down and looked at the menu we were surprised as thow much was really on offer and were spoilt for choice. Once we ordered, it came out immediately and we got stuck in. It tasted amazing and had us wanting more. We left after the main as we were full but it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family get togethersashaDined on 29/9/2014A mediocre meal at best . Booked for 13CHiNESE family members. 10 adult,3kids .Bill = £600 - way over the top for value+ taste. Some of the dishes were good - lobsterwith spring onions was lovely.the whole duck tasty.,dim sum, prawn toast , noodles were all uninspiring and yes, mediocre. Dessert was bizarre. we only wanted 6 desserts. The chocolate bombe was cut in half and served with a small helping of ice cream and the banana fritter desserts consisted of one small fritter each.Also be aware that we did not order prawn crackers but they were put on the table and we were charged for them .A very disappointing meal .One of our party had eaten here before for a business lunch and said it was good then . Thats why we booked here.
- Imperial CityNoslhoDined on 22/9/2014Low profile entrance but nice setting underneath the Royal Exchange building. Service is very good, with the staff most polite and attentive. Wide choice on the menu and the food is simply fantastic. Even course was a sheer delight. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 29/8/2014The ambience of the restaurant was perfect. It had a very relaxed feel to the place. The food was delicious and the prosecco was very nice. A friendly service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueStreakyReviewsDined on 14/8/2014I love this venue. Underground and moody with a lovely waterfall. Food is great. Service is excellent and always well looked after. My only criticism is that its a little noisy when busy, so for business meetings its a little strained. There are private areas however but not sure whether these are extra to book. The area on the left as you go in is a little more private. Price-wise its a tad on the high side, but then this is London and there are a lot of business people that go here (on expenses no doubt!). Set menu we had (4 courses) was £36 per head.Special Features:
- Friendly and NiceBallistixxDined on 7/8/2014Business meal with new customer and got the deal.. or i think :) Would come backSpecial Features:
- Not impressedDine41Dined on 31/7/2014Food was uninteresting, service was very rushed and not friendly.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodeat4funVIPDined on 30/7/2014The sea bass dish was not on so an alternative was offered which was dry and more bread crumbs than fish. I noticed that the duck which my guest had chosen was dry to the extent that she asked for some sauce to make it palatable. I had taken three friends and I was disappointed that the meal wasn't nicer.Special Features:
- Good foodShaunLDined on 25/6/2014Good food and place to catch up with friends and work colleagues, but in the pricey side for chinese food which was relatively standard in terms of "type" of chinese food you are orderingSpecial Features:
- TarbyDined on 28/5/2014Wonderful food - exactly what you'd expect from a top Chinese restaurant - but very pricey!Special Features:
- Lovely food, but service rushed!RT123Dined on 25/4/2014Food was great and really enjoyable, but the food came out a bit too quick for my liking. I ordered the food, then 2 minutes after ordering the first course the duck pancake rolls were served. Once the duck had been cleared there was no longer than 2 minutes until are main course arrived. All very nice, but just felt a bit rushed, even though the rest was not that busy i felt like they wanted to get us in and out. i like to enjoy my meal a bit more and take my time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made an impressionFoodFinderDined on 24/4/2014Went there with group of six for dinner. Set in the basesment opposite The Counting House it is tastfully decorated and gave a great first imprssion. Tables are adequately placed apart for privacy and the staff made us comfortable. Attentive staff took drinks orders and put crackers on the tables within minutes. Food not fine dining but certainly tasty chinese food - more the "British market" of what you'd expect from a Chinese restaurant, but tasty food. For ease we went for the 6* Spring Set Menu at £40 ph. Nice choice of food and the wine list was adequate. £25 for a Argentinian Malbec and the same for a Sauvignon Blanc. Revisit? Would prefer to find somewhere more authentic next time. Would I recommend? Yes.Special Features:
- Imperial City, Royal ExchangeLM1212VIPDined on 4/4/2014Business lunch at Imperial City, Royal Exchange. Excellent food and good service. Central location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9 for a team lunch, food wasFizzyFrogVIPDined on 27/3/20149 for a team lunch, food was delicious, arrived quickly, no grumbles from anyone. 1 exceptional waiting staff, the others all pretty average, struggled to get attention at times. Abundance of glasses on the table, weren't removed when it was clear we weren't going to need them. There is a separate vegetarian menu so don't be put off by the lack of vegetarian options on their website, there is a very good selection, you'll just need to ask for it.Special Features:
- Great dinnerAndreaGreenDined on 26/3/2014Possibly the best Chinese meal we have ever had but expensive. They do say you get what you pay for though....Special Features:
- I took a Chinese person toMilesDT1000Dined on 17/3/2014I took a Chinese person to lunch, it's not that authentic.
- Poor quality food, expensivetheatredinerDined on 12/3/2014The quality of food versus the cost is appauling. Considering its prime location in the City, I would be embarrassed to take a friend or client here. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Hidden gem in the cityvandaDined on 3/3/2014Top notch service. Staff and manager are always really friendly and helpful. We had our wedding banquet there and continue to visit them whenever possible. By far our favourite oriental restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceJeffDined on 27/2/2014Excellent food and service durring the meal, the only complaint would be when trying to get the bill which took a little to longSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Chinese restaurantsCityGirlDined on 25/2/2014One of the best Chinese restaurants in town, although it does not come cheap. The crispy aromatic duck is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, quiet restaurantGG34Dined on 21/2/2014We ate here friday night, the food was really good, and the staff very nice and efficient. The restaurant was very quiet, I'm guessing as it was a friday, which was quite nice as we were able to have a decent conversation over the dinner table, however it did lack a little atmosphere. The food was very nice, we ordered a mixture of starters and half a duck, which actually came to our table within 10 minutes of ordering. It's nice when food arrives quickly but does make you wonder how fresh it is? Needless to say it did taste amazing!Special Features:
- Good location but...SpongebokDined on 20/2/2014The location is great for a business meal but the food isn't very nice and the portion is very small. It is not authentic chinese if this is what you are after. It was a spend of £38 pp for dinner including a couple of beers. The Peking duck was very very disappointing.Special Features:
- Great for business lunchesAyeshaVIPDined on 19/2/2014Went with a vegetarian client. Great veg selection and food and quick service. The veg ma po tofu was particularly goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinglturnerDined on 14/2/2014After reading the reviews on how great this restaurant was, I was extremely disappointed with what i actually received. Overpriced cheap food! Sticky basmati rice, greasy noodles, tough steak and sea bass so over-cooked it was basically mashed potato. Pushy staff, always hovering around your table trying to make you buy drinks and order more food. Service charge should be 'optional' as it says on the receipt, therefore NOT having the manager stand over you and confront you as to why you don't think the £15 service charge should be paid. Disappointing Valentines overall - will not be returning in a hurry. Total waste of money
- Great ambience, good foodKyabraDined on 14/2/2014Had a nice night with my girlfriend on valentines day. Service was a little slow but not terrible. Good was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodAmy1Dined on 14/2/2014brilliant service and a hige variety of foods to choose from. Would return.Special Features:
- Imperial all the way...ATalwaysDined on 7/2/2014I hadn’t been to Imperial City in the past ten years and before i was quite a regular! I have to say even though no longer a Ken Hom restaurant the service and food was fabulous. The Manager was very accommodating as one of the Air Con was directly beneath us so he arranged for it to be switched off. The food was delicious, from memory i don’t think the set menu had changed either and was totally delicious. The Manager even arranged for a cab to get home which was very helpful of him. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Given 2 stars as the foodRaysDined on 30/1/2014Given 2 stars as the food was good. Service was deplorable!
- Good food, fast serviceFeConteDined on 29/1/2014Had dinner with a friend, we both had duck and liked it a lot. I also like the way it looks, it's underground with brick walls. Good food and service, fast, excelent location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great taste in food probablyPaulDined on 17/1/2014Great taste in food probably best Chinese food I have ever had, very good service very polite and service was quick. Lay out of restaurant was nice as well. Will be going back again that's for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlisonBDined on 12/12/2013We enjoyed our meal at Imperial City very much. The underground vault surroundings and table layouts were impressively spacious. There was a very good range of options on the menu and the waiter service was efficient and pleasant. I will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodForbesVIPDined on 11/12/2013The IC is always a great choice for excellent chinese food. This occasion was no exception however the service was very slow due the festive period and the restaurant being 'full to bursting'. The kitchen was not slow, it was just the taking of food and drink orders, and the delivery of drink orders. This is still a very good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodThirtylicious81VIPDined on 10/12/2013The food here is the most tastiest chinese food I have had and is presented lovely. The staff are very efficient but impersonal with no chit chat but thats totally fine with me. Its a little pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- O.KPierreDined on 10/12/2013Booked Imperial City to take out clients for a Christmas Lunch. Had the Christmas Menu and to be honest i was dissapointed as it was £40 a head, food was tasty but for £40 i would expect better quality and more of it.
- Business LunchFarmskiDined on 6/12/2013Visited this restaurant for a business lunch and it was perfect. Good atmosphere to chat but not deathly quiet which meant you had to talk all the time. Would very much recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imperial City is a traditional-stylWinstonDined on 8/11/2013Imperial City is a traditional-style Chinese restaurant done really well. The venue is lovely in the vaults and the staff are attentive. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 166 reviews are from the Imperial City reviews archive.