James Street South
21 James Street South
Belfast, BT2 7GANeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
James Street South
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jamesstreetsouth.co.uk/
- Phone: 02890434310
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:45pm - 10:45pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Niall McKenna
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Restaurant is available for private hire. For further information please call the Restaurant.
- Special Events: On the 8th September we are hosting a Wine Dinner which will include a fabulous 5 course meal accompanied by fine Bordeaux wines. Price per person is £75.
A word from James Street South
Located in Belfast City Centre in close proximity to the main Hotels, Theatres and Shopping areas, James Street South Restaurant is the perfect location for lunch or dinner whether its business or pleasure. Our aim is to provide an excellent dining experience where good food, wine and service come together in comfortable and relaxed surroundings. The menu draws on influences from Europe and the cooking style is based on classical French methods. The combination creates a menu, which showcases clean and fresh dishes using as much locally sourced produce as possible. Our a la carte menu is available daily. We have a set priced Lunch Menu priced at £14.95 and £16.95 for two and three courses which is available Monday to Saturday. We also have a Pre Theatre Menu priced at £16.95 for two and £18.95 for three courses which is available Monday to Friday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
James Street South reviews from OpenTable diners
- Very elegant mealrosiepopsDined on 18/3/2013My husband and I visited James Street South on a Monday evening so it was fairly quiet. We had warm and friendly service, delicious wine and thought the place was decorated with real elegance. The menu was great, and we thoroughly enjoyed our food. Only tiny gripe is that my husband likes to have the cheeses on the board named to him! Would definitely recommend this place, lucky Belfast.Special Features:
- Good food, shame about the alarm!adinerDined on 15/3/2013Good food and friendly service - however the serving staff are not "joined up" and spend their time duplicating each others' requests to diners. Also, no one seemed to know how to switch off the security alarm when it went off accidentally and the noise spoiled an otherwise good evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sevice from theNiamhDined on 16/2/2013Excellent sevice from the minute we came through the door. Food was amazing and our server was very helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Best dinner experience in yearsstanthemanDined on 16/2/2013I've dined at some of the top restaurants in the the UK and Ireland and JSS easily ranks amongst the top 5. A little gem of a place nestled in a city centre side street with perfect ambience and food to die for. Very attentive and friendly service pitched at just the right level. A wonderful experience and can't wait to go back. 10 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's, 1st time at JSSmartyDined on 14/2/2013My girlfriend and I attended James Street South for Valentine's Day, and we were both pleased with the occasion. The staff were helpful and courteous, from beginning to end. The menu may not be for the fussier eaters, and vegetarian options were not wide, but the food we ordered delivered both in terms of taste and presentation. It is certainly one of the more expensive restaurants and it justifies the price. The portions left us nicely full and there can be no argument with them. The only downfall was a slight lack of atmosphere: although there was ambience and it was visually attractive, it just seemed devoid of a spark that the absolute highly recommended restaurants have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTommyDined on 14/2/2013The food was excellent but we had to wait 45 minutes for our main course (no starter) and the restaurant wasn't that busy. Other than that, the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.Yvonne1511Dined on 1/2/2013Great food and service although having to pay for bread as extra to accompany soup I feel a little unjust seeing as the prices are already quite expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usual excellent mealgillnewfDined on 26/1/2013we have eaten here several times before and as always I was spoiled for choice on the menu: it all sounded delicious and I knew from experience that the food would not disappoint. This is not Belfast's cheapest venue but I think that we really got what we paid for: an excellent meal and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal, with the exceptionVictorDined on 26/1/2013Excellent meal, with the exception of one poor venison portion. I quietly ordered an additional portion for my guest which was embarrassingly presented as a further full meal, and charged as such. Well inside our allotted two hours we declined any desserts but ordered a final drink in its' place. The waitress returned informing us that the drink was waiting for us at the bar, effectively ending our evening without asking us. We left around 40 mins later and our table remained free. Obviously no tip and no hurry back. Victor Toland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy foodiejacellDined on 26/1/2013The welcome and service was excellent, the food superb and the ambience relaxing. It is expensive with 15% service charge but one only gets what you pay for. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Critical of this restaurantenjoyfood12Dined on 19/1/2013We were disappointed in James St South having heard much about it. Why were most of the customers grouped around the edge of the restaurant and why were there no staff for long periods to be seen? One of the waitresses could hardly speak any English. Another seemed not to be trained very well, the proper cutlery was not on the table when some of the food was served. The starters were tasty, but the monkfish was not tasty and was on the bone which should have been pointed out when ordering.
- Excellent restaurantSadiepDined on 12/1/2013A lovely restaurant with a great atmosphere A very welcoming greeting on arrival & great service. Food excellent. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatLoulou1Dined on 12/1/2013This was my second time eating at James street south and I was just as impressed as the first time. The food was exquisite, table was booked for 2 hours but plenty of time to sit back, relax and enjoy. Our waitress was always on hand topping up our glasses before they had a chance to empty, I would definitely eat here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, snail paced serviceStephokDined on 5/1/2013My partner and I came to Belfast for an overnight visit and booked a few days before. Restaurant had called us to confirm booking early in the day and to emphasis on us that we had to be done by 8pm not a problem seeing as our booking was for 6. We had a three course set menu and were lucky to be out just minutes before the deadline! Half empty restaurant, set menu and at least 6 or 7 servers but all of them seemed to be congregating at the kitchen. That said the staff were very pleasant and the set menu very good value. The only issue was the extremely long wait for every course, even desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food, relaxed crisp ambience.mkenDined on 3/1/2013Fine food, relaxed crisp ambience. Perfect venison, Would certainly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good...but GFG "6" seems generoussawylieDined on 3/1/2013Dined at James Street South on Thursday evening (pre theatre menu) - well presented, though largely uninspiring choices - honeyed pork belly to start was OK, but no unique tastes were discernible - venison in pastry with red wine jus for main was tasty, but again unworthy of a "6". White chocolate "mousse" was too dense (desert) and another desert, vanilla creme brulee, was like any other 'good' creme brulee... Drakes in Ripley is (was) a "6" in the Good Food Guide and is in a different class to be frank. Overall, nothing here to inspire a return - plenty more restaurants in Belfast to try before returning. It may be that the "a la carte" menu is better executed, but all diners should be experiencing "6", independent of what time they dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal & service.dinerDocDined on 29/12/2012Excellent meal & service. The table nearest the entrance & bar was not ideal, but otherwise a great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated dining in Belfastse249Dined on 28/12/2012James Street South is perfect for a sophisticated but relaxed evening out with friends. Food and service were all excellent. The wine list was also of high merit. One of the best 'all-round' restaurants I have been to in a while.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to Jamestreat2eatDined on 22/12/2012My wife and I went to James Street South with two friends last Saturday evening. We had a fabulous evening from start to finish. Food is at different level to the vast majority of restaurants and the staff are quite simply superb. I would highly recommend JSS to anyone wanting something very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchfinedinerDined on 20/12/2012Enjoyed our third visit this year to James Street South, as much as the other two. Had a delightful lunch with their usual attention to detail, and quality service. Thoroughly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentgrahamDined on 15/12/2012This restaurant truly delivers. Its menu is always local, seasonal and interesting. The service is both sharp and friendly (so few places manage this!). The meal is always a pleasure. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceGarethCDined on 1/12/2012We went to James St South for a Birthday / Engagement celebration meal. It was ok but there were some horrendous service errors that included my fiance receiving beef fillet instead of pork fillet. This mistake was rectified but the food we sent back from the other three orders came back cold. Not wanting to complain and ruin the evening we all ate on. As soon as we finished our dessert (literally as soon as we were finished) our bill was thrown down on the table. The table was booked for two hours and I understand they have a schedule but it was their errors that held up meal time and then I felt we were rushed out and didnt get time to enjoy our drinks. There was a lame apology but I left very unhappy. Not good service at all!Special Features:
- great quality foodhappycoupleDined on 30/11/2012went for the taster menu with recommended wine. food great quality, cooked to perfection! also great wine. really enjoyed the experience. very attentive staff but not intrusive. nice ambience too. overall very impressed. expensive but worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was full, veryglsgwDined on 17/11/2012Restaurant was full, very good atmosphere. Staff were excellent, knowledgeable about the food being served, and very friendly and chatty as regards other things to do on a night/day out in Belfast. Food was delicious, as was the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceodawgDined on 17/11/2012Good food. Good service. Good location. Good menu.Special Features:
- great food - they even wentPP12Dined on 15/11/2012great food - they even went out of their way to make something that was not on the menu!Special Features:
- Heaven on a plateJimmyteeDined on 9/11/2012This was the comment from my wife for each course. It was honestly one of the best meals we have ever had. A superb dining experience and I would recommend it to anyone who loves food. Not tried the bar and grill next door but will next time we are in NISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbJO78Dined on 9/11/2012Gorgous decor. Outstanding cocktails. Food was absolutley fabulous, & very filling. Georgous wine. Waitress was extremley helpful & pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night outLyndiloolaDined on 2/11/2012We booked a late table on a Friday night & had the tasting menu with matching wines. The food was lovely & the wine was perfectly matched. Service was attentive & nothing was too much bother. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and tastyJasonDined on 31/10/2012This was only my second time here with my wife as we were having a hotel break in Belfast. The service and food were fantastic. Some of the menu I wasn't sure what it was (my own food ignorance, I was brought up on potatoes and scallions!) but everything was tasty with plenty of flavour. I had fish and my wife had pork. We shared off each plate as both were delicious. The starters were also out of this world. I look forward to my next break in Belfast as I'll definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was top class, butJohnmDined on 31/10/2012The food was top class, but the restaurant was very quiet on a mid week (Wednesday)m evening and a bit lacking in atmosphere as a result There is a good wine list but some of the wines are a little overpriced in my view. The service was good - friendly and polite - but if anything a little over zealous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection *****kerrpeterDined on 25/10/2012I could not speak highly enough about James Street South. The pork belly is to die for, although would wife would hate me if I did'nt mention the cheesecake!! Great job JSS 'keep it up'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return visitverysatisfiedDined on 20/10/2012this is our second visit to the restaurant and both times the variety of food has been excellent, the standard of food was 5 star again. cant wait until our next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A first class dining experienceJamesRDined on 19/10/2012In the past I have found that quite a few places in Northern Ireland do not quite live up to their star billing, oftentimes down to overrated food and pretty amateurish service. James Street South, however, appears to be one of the exceptions to this and actually lives up to its reputation. It is not the cheapest place in town but the food was first class, superbly presented and the service was professional and unobtrusive. Moreover, someone has clearly thought about the the wine list, which is quite imaginative and not stuffed with all the usual boring suspects. I will certainly be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- midweek evening mealfoodtasterDined on 18/10/2012Tabel booked for 4 , resturant near empty , found the service good , but servings small and over priced. Overcomplicated menu , Overall food should be better for the price
- made to feel welcomecolinDined on 17/10/2012I took my daughter here for a treat for lunch for her 21st birthday. The service was faultless the food very good and the ambiance very pleasant indeed. We had been sitting down only a minute when they delivered two glasses of champagne on the house - due to the birthday- The waiters were knowledgeable and friendly. I definately recommend it and will visit again next time I am in Belfast.Special Features:
- Great foodIsarobDined on 13/10/2012Third time at James St South and each time has been fantastic. Everything taste great and a very enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect venue for the perfect meal.JaySDined on 13/10/2012Always wanted to go here. It did not disappoint. Amazing food. I visited it during BRW (Belfast Restaurant Week) and it was outstanding. Fully recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a special meal, for that special someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average evening. PoorlyBelfastdinerDined on 12/10/2012Very average evening. Poorly mixed cocktails, service just ok, overcharged on bill. Small portions of decent food
- Eat before you go!lisburndinerDined on 12/10/2012Starter of Soup and Razor clam ( one clam) were fair. Special of Dover sole , the fish so small, probably illegal to catch. Wifes Sea trout portion was half the size of what a fellow diner at next table was having when we came in. Maybe last portion had to be cut in half. Even for fine dining the portions were very small. For price I wont be rishing back . There is better in many places in Belfast.Special Features: