13 Exeter Street
London, WC2E 7DTNeighbourhood:
AmericanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joeallen.co.uk/
- Phone: 02078360651x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to and including Thursday noon to midnight
Friday noon to 12.45
Saturday 10am to 12.45
Sunday 10am to 11.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist plays background music, mainly theatre tunes from 7:00PM to 11:00PM Monday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday 8:00PM till midnight.
Sunday Brunch: noon till 4PM
A word from Joe Allen
The combination of a great location, informal environment and quality food made Joe Allen an instant hit with the theatre community as well as theatre goers.Continued
It's the perfect location for someone searching for great food whether in casual dress or glamorous depending on individual choice.
It's the perfect location for someone searching for great food whether in casual dress or glamorous depending on individual choice.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
Joe Allen - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
Joe Allen reviews from OpenTable diners
383 reviews since 1 November 2013
pre/post theatre (268)special occasions (98)business meals (77)brunch (73)group bookings (66)romance (59)fit for foodies (48)sunday lunch (45)outstanding value (31)child friendly (25)good vegetarian options (17)afternoon tea (7)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Dinner before theatrebakumattDined on 28/10/2014As the restaurant was close to theatre we thought we would give it a try. I phone and was told they were fully booked by a rather abrupt receptionist. However when I booked with open table every time was available. Food was average, waiter was ok however food was over priced and limited on menu. Overall I wouldn't repeat the experienceSpecial Features:
- Very good as usualGreyisgoodDined on 26/10/2014A well-made vodka martini, a good choice of US classics, friendly and speedy service. What more could one ask for a Sunday night?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationGlenDined on 26/10/2014We had a lovely birthday meal for my husband First time and we would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre Covent GardenlindaneDined on 23/10/2014We had the pre theatre menu. It offered a satisfactory choice for each of the three courses on offer. We had both the red and the white house wines and they were good value. We enjoyed the food, the wine, the ambiance and the friendly service and the guarantee that we would have time to get up the road. Will book again when we are in the area and will go again to their normal evening menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theatre dinnerluv2dineDined on 18/10/2014I would recommend to friends.... We made a group booking of 9 and not one of us could complain. The food was lovely and the atmosphere was great. I'd definitely come back!Special Features:
- Joe AllenkkLondonDined on 17/10/2014The staff and service are great- good selection and always open late for post theatre dinner- always a favourite place to take out of town friends after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good meal and ambienceAndyTDined on 12/10/2014We are regulars at Joe Allen's for post-theatre suppers and the occasional Sunday lunch. On this occasion wanted a cosy and comfortable place for a nice late Sunday lunch and Joe Allen's does not disappoint. Very relaxed, very pleasant - perfect for what we wantedSpecial Features:
- joe allen after the theatreandyDined on 11/10/2014this restaurant has slipped in comparison with the competition locally in terms of service and food quality. Mediocre at best!
- Energetic maitre'd saved serviceFoodieDined on 8/10/2014We came into a late reservation and the place was full and busy. Clearly there were too few servers and they struggled... The young energetic Maitre'd saved the evening taking orders, served dishes all over the restaurant literally flying with his long legs across the floor. The food was great and we had a great time!Special Features:
- HmmmADH1Dined on 8/10/2014Used to go to Joe Allen's in years gone by. Food quality has decreased. Service was slow, disorganised, vague, inattentive. Shame about that. Piano playing as always was great.Special Features:
- Oh dear, how have the mighty fallenJulietteDined on 6/10/2014Very disappointing return for our party of 3 (all once regulars). Desultory greeting at the door. Cloakroom assistant has gone so no offer to deal with our coats, despite it being a rainy day. They finished up on the back of our chairs. Inexperienced waitress hovered around as if saying "Get on with it." Food mediocre: floppy Mexican salad, English sausage and mash (though shown as Italian on the menu), cheese pleasant enough but with dry bread and no other choice than cheddar. Waitress embarrassed when I asked if she got the service charge; when pressed, she said no, it was a standard management charge. I left a cash tip, which was seized by another staff member. What a mean, cost-cutting place this has become.
- Another return to Joe AllensatfactsDined on 4/10/2014Perennially consistent year after year. Not as busy on this Saturday as has been in the past. Service a little slow to start but wait-staff apologised, unbidden. Food just as good as is the atmosphere. We will be back.Special Features:
- Amazing as usualJoSLDined on 3/10/2014I haven't been to Joe Allens for a while. Really happy that nothing has changed. Had the off menu burgers and fries as well as garlic bread and chicken croquettes. Perfect food, well prepared and presented. And those new desserts...wow. Apple crumble pie and jelly & mousse....lovely. Great service and the wonderful atmosphere all make this one of my favourite central London eateries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsJodieDined on 2/10/2014Better than expected as reviews suggested an American diner al be it a good one which did not do this place justice. Would return again happily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as everSquareMileOmnivoreVIPDined on 1/10/2014I've become a firm fan of Joe Allen and try to get there as often as I can. They change the recipe for the ever-present lamb rump now and then. I hadn't been so keen on the way they'd been doing it with fennel (I think) since the Spring. So when I saw it now on offer with zucchini and salsa, I pounced, and spent an evening here when I didn't want to cook. The lamb was superb - I can't imagine this relatively simple dish being done better. The staff here are some of the best in the business and clearly trained to be efficient in such a busy, noisy restaurant. They cope perfectly with the spectrum from big parties, through couples to occasional singleton fans like me. And I have brought friends & colleagues here with equal success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it herebluejamieDined on 27/9/2014Joe Allen's never changes, which is part of its charm. The food is excellent and it's the perfect place to go post theatre - you'll find you're dining with everyone else from the audience (and occasionally from the stage too). Good wine selection and lovely food.Special Features:
- Post theatre late diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014We had a table booked for 11pm after the theatre and this place was just what we needed. I couldn't believe we weren't the last to eat , this made us feel very welcome. Gorgeous food that I couldn't fault. Dodgy waiter who mixed up the desert but nothing to complain about and my dad tipped him anyway! Will definitely return on our next theatre trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findFoodieDined on 25/9/2014I have been here for lunch before and its been great. Service is always a little slow but you can get a lunch done in an hour which is great. Dinner however was another story. It took near enough an hour for our meal to come out. We did want dessert but as our meal took so long, we decided against it. Its also incredibly dark in there so found ourselves almost falling asleep at the table. Food was fine but I think the lunch menu is much much nicer. This restaurant is great for lunch and dinner if you have a few hours to spareSpecial Features:
- AlexHVIPDined on 22/9/2014Joe Allen's is an institution. Hidden away behind the theatres, it continues to serve good food in a cosy, intimate environment. Long may it continue!Special Features:
- pre-theatre supperOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 20/9/2014another excellent pre-theatre supper, excellent ambience and food with excellent service. a little pricey, £100 pounds for 2 for 2 courses but another wonderful experience, nonethelessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuceDined on 18/9/2014Good portions, good atmosphere, wine choice was limitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a great locationperinoukDined on 18/9/2014Second time at Joe Allen's and it is now my default location if eating indoors in Covent Garden. Love the place, the food and the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjohnbDined on 18/9/2014I come here all the time, mainly for lunch but pre-theatre dinner is also good. Lovely intimate, yet spacious dining room below street level in an excellent location of Exeter Street, Dovent Garden. Food is American/European style, good set lunches and a la carte. Fish is always particularly good here. Decent wine list and very attentive and helpful waiting staff. Only slight niggle is that prices have crept up in recent years so it is not 'excellent' value for money. However that will not stop me coming back time and again.Special Features:
- luvfood58VIPDined on 17/9/2014Joe Allen is an icon of the London dining scene. Always good to return - we had two courses from the a la carte menu as a pre-theatre meal. friendly service, very reasonable drinks prices. Fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost the buzzcountryboyDined on 16/9/2014Joe Allen used to be a must go place after theatre/opera but sadly it has lost its buzz. Last week it was half full at 10 pm and the meal was disappointing; leathery veal escalope had to be sent back.Special Features:
- HistoryLorcaDined on 16/9/2014Joe Allen's is part of my history, I've been going there since the 1970s. Every visit is fab and I've never had a bad experience. Particularly good for late night dining after the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014One of the best steaks I've ever had. Very attentive staff and accommodated our quick timelines, thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe Allen'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I always enjoy meeting friends for lunch at Joe Allen's. It has a particularly engaging atmosphere. The food is simple and good. The restaurant is busy but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2014Have had many happy times at Joe Allen & this was no exception. Staff couldnt have been more attentive or charming to us.Special Features:
- Staff seemed subduedcalviaDined on 31/8/2014We had a great meal and no complaints.The only thing i would say is that Joe Allen was always a buzzy place and the staff very much added to this. it seems that different calibre of staff are now hired and sometimes not really able to understand orders etc.Special Features:
- Oh what a night.GoldenoldieDined on 29/8/2014From the moment we arrived to the time we left, we felt we more than a bit special. 50th celebration couldn't have gone better. Thanks to the Top Team @ Joe Allen's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started well, but a mixed bagNickDined on 26/8/2014Went for a pre-theatre meal here. Friendly service, though lacked continuity as there were lots of staff and a different one seemed to come to our table each time. Biggest disappointment was the food. Delicious starters (duck and plum pancakes / goats cheese tart) were then let down by a chicken main course which looked and tasted like a bland school dinner. Put us off having a dessert.
- Joe AllensFlynnc20Dined on 22/8/2014Great restaurant! we had baby back ribs and chilli and both were great,good atmosphere- lovely pianist playing throughout meal. great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as Always - Late EatsAleurophileDined on 21/8/2014Aways reliable, Joe Allan's standards are consistent. Ambience is good and best of all a great place to eat after the theatre. No problem with late bookingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantPalace1Dined on 16/8/2014Have been visiting this restaurant for many years the food the food the service is outstanding and the value for London too. The theatrical atmosphere is also a bonus and you never know who you may be dining with in this theatre ambiance venue.............Special Features:
- Resting on their laurelsAnonymousVIPDined on 16/8/2014Good service and friendly staff. Food was substandard. We were a party of four, we had 3 courses, and not one of us said their order was good. Time for someone in management to taste their own food. Strength of JA has always been it's consistency, unfortunately it now needs a revamp.Special Features:
- Post Theatre DinnerPESIDined on 15/8/2014We had a late booking following a visit to a theatre. We were delighted with the service and the quality of the food and will certainly return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing after theaterstueaterDined on 15/8/2014We have been coming here for years after the theater. Ownership has changed and the menu is much too heavy at 10 PM for a post theater menu. No hamburgers or chicken breast sandwiches for example. I had a roast chicken that was totally dried out and virtually inedible. Manager did not charge for it. But it was not A festive way to end a night out.Special Features:
- Lovely welcome!Boot1947Dined on 15/8/2014Having put on the booking form that it was my son's birthday and a landmark occasion for me, we were delighted to receive a complimentary a glass of bubbly! Brilliant, attentive service and excellent food, as ever. Joe Allen's has a great ambience, whether you go for brunch, lunch, or in the evening.Special Features:
- My birthday dinner at JoespyekanDined on 12/8/2014This was a very special evening. Just a couple of old friends - who also had a birthday and my son's Japanese girlfriend. The staff was exceptionally friendly and the menu excellent. We each had a different starter. Mine was the duck pancake, the mint soup was refreshing and the goats cheese salad was 'a bit too filling' The sea bass was everyone's favourite and the warm beans were especailly flavourfu. We all had the bitter chocolate tart which was extremely rich and delicious. Also recommend the white wine which was unusually good - neither tart nor sweet and only three pouds with the three course menu. As members of Equity we got a special reduction of 25 per cent so it was a cheap but very high class meal . Excitement and satisfaction!Special Features: