13 Exeter Street
London, WC2E 7DTNeighbourhood:
AmericanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joeallen.co.uk/
- Phone: 02078360651x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to and including Thursday noon to midnight
Friday noon to 12.45
Saturday 10am to 12.45
Sunday 10am to 11.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist plays background music, mainly theatre tunes from 7:00PM to 11:00PM Monday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday 8:00PM till midnight.
Sunday Brunch: noon till 4PM
A word from Joe Allen
The combination of a great location, informal environment and quality food made Joe Allen an instant hit with the theatre community as well as theatre goers.Continued
It's the perfect location for someone searching for great food whether in casual dress or glamorous depending on individual choice.
It's the perfect location for someone searching for great food whether in casual dress or glamorous depending on individual choice.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe Allen reviews from OpenTable diners
392 reviews since 26 May 2014
pre/post theatre (280)special occasions (104)business meals (82)brunch (76)group bookings (64)romance (63)fit for foodies (50)sunday lunch (45)outstanding value (37)child friendly (31)good vegetarian options (20)afternoon tea (6)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- LuceDined on 18/9/2014Good portions, good atmosphere, wine choice was limitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a great locationperinoukDined on 18/9/2014Second time at Joe Allen's and it is now my default location if eating indoors in Covent Garden. Love the place, the food and the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjohnbDined on 18/9/2014I come here all the time, mainly for lunch but pre-theatre dinner is also good. Lovely intimate, yet spacious dining room below street level in an excellent location of Exeter Street, Dovent Garden. Food is American/European style, good set lunches and a la carte. Fish is always particularly good here. Decent wine list and very attentive and helpful waiting staff. Only slight niggle is that prices have crept up in recent years so it is not 'excellent' value for money. However that will not stop me coming back time and again.Special Features:
- luvfood58VIPDined on 17/9/2014Joe Allen is an icon of the London dining scene. Always good to return - we had two courses from the a la carte menu as a pre-theatre meal. friendly service, very reasonable drinks prices. Fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost the buzzcountryboyDined on 16/9/2014Joe Allen used to be a must go place after theatre/opera but sadly it has lost its buzz. Last week it was half full at 10 pm and the meal was disappointing; leathery veal escalope had to be sent back.Special Features:
- HistoryLorcaDined on 16/9/2014Joe Allen's is part of my history, I've been going there since the 1970s. Every visit is fab and I've never had a bad experience. Particularly good for late night dining after the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014One of the best steaks I've ever had. Very attentive staff and accommodated our quick timelines, thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe Allen'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I always enjoy meeting friends for lunch at Joe Allen's. It has a particularly engaging atmosphere. The food is simple and good. The restaurant is busy but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2014Have had many happy times at Joe Allen & this was no exception. Staff couldnt have been more attentive or charming to us.Special Features:
- Staff seemed subduedcalviaDined on 31/8/2014We had a great meal and no complaints.The only thing i would say is that Joe Allen was always a buzzy place and the staff very much added to this. it seems that different calibre of staff are now hired and sometimes not really able to understand orders etc.Special Features:
- Oh what a night.GoldenoldieDined on 29/8/2014From the moment we arrived to the time we left, we felt we more than a bit special. 50th celebration couldn't have gone better. Thanks to the Top Team @ Joe Allen's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started well, but a mixed bagNickDined on 26/8/2014Went for a pre-theatre meal here. Friendly service, though lacked continuity as there were lots of staff and a different one seemed to come to our table each time. Biggest disappointment was the food. Delicious starters (duck and plum pancakes / goats cheese tart) were then let down by a chicken main course which looked and tasted like a bland school dinner. Put us off having a dessert.
- Joe AllensFlynnc20Dined on 22/8/2014Great restaurant! we had baby back ribs and chilli and both were great,good atmosphere- lovely pianist playing throughout meal. great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as Always - Late EatsAleurophileDined on 21/8/2014Aways reliable, Joe Allan's standards are consistent. Ambience is good and best of all a great place to eat after the theatre. No problem with late bookingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantPalace1Dined on 16/8/2014Have been visiting this restaurant for many years the food the food the service is outstanding and the value for London too. The theatrical atmosphere is also a bonus and you never know who you may be dining with in this theatre ambiance venue.............Special Features:
- Resting on their laurelsAnonymousVIPDined on 16/8/2014Good service and friendly staff. Food was substandard. We were a party of four, we had 3 courses, and not one of us said their order was good. Time for someone in management to taste their own food. Strength of JA has always been it's consistency, unfortunately it now needs a revamp.Special Features:
- Post Theatre DinnerPESIDined on 15/8/2014We had a late booking following a visit to a theatre. We were delighted with the service and the quality of the food and will certainly return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing after theaterstueaterDined on 15/8/2014We have been coming here for years after the theater. Ownership has changed and the menu is much too heavy at 10 PM for a post theater menu. No hamburgers or chicken breast sandwiches for example. I had a roast chicken that was totally dried out and virtually inedible. Manager did not charge for it. But it was not A festive way to end a night out.Special Features:
- Lovely welcome!Boot1947Dined on 15/8/2014Having put on the booking form that it was my son's birthday and a landmark occasion for me, we were delighted to receive a complimentary a glass of bubbly! Brilliant, attentive service and excellent food, as ever. Joe Allen's has a great ambience, whether you go for brunch, lunch, or in the evening.Special Features:
- My birthday dinner at JoespyekanDined on 12/8/2014This was a very special evening. Just a couple of old friends - who also had a birthday and my son's Japanese girlfriend. The staff was exceptionally friendly and the menu excellent. We each had a different starter. Mine was the duck pancake, the mint soup was refreshing and the goats cheese salad was 'a bit too filling' The sea bass was everyone's favourite and the warm beans were especailly flavourfu. We all had the bitter chocolate tart which was extremely rich and delicious. Also recommend the white wine which was unusually good - neither tart nor sweet and only three pouds with the three course menu. As members of Equity we got a special reduction of 25 per cent so it was a cheap but very high class meal . Excitement and satisfaction!Special Features:
- Safe optionliberace68Dined on 11/8/2014This is a survivor but not the treat it once was. Whereas once you would see various actors dining and gossiping in the corners, now you're more likely to see visitors from out of town grabbing the set pre-theatre menu. Nothing wrong with it, but not worth a special visit these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasurable dining experience.CraigTDined on 4/8/2014Visited on August 4th prior to evening at the theatre. Arrived in time for drink at bar first and bar tender was very personable and knowledgeable. Nice touch of a free shot of Jim Beam with first beer. Great menu with plenty of choice. Great ambience too and lovely and cool environment. Never rushed and service was great. Food enjoyed by all four of us and will definitely return . Finally . Massive thankyou to Lorna there who saved the day when we left our theatre tickets on the table. Outstanding service all round. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dull AtmosphereSMOKERS2Dined on 2/8/2014Food very good, staff very good a little expensive but lack of pianist playing changed the atmosphereSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Good food and really great service. Make sure to listen for the items not listed on the menu. I'll definitely be getting their burgers again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun venueToby63Dined on 2/8/2014A friend first took me to joe Allen.ive since recommended other friends who in turn took others! Shame no commission! The meals are a touch small as salad /veg are extra. But why? Anyway,another nice meal. We had online reminder that there is 2 hours allowed but this was ample as service speedy when many theatre dinersSpecial Features:
- Joe AllenTammyVIPDined on 2/8/2014What's not to like about this American diner. They do great food of hearty proportions to a high standard. Fantastic for pre or post theatre and cocktails at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a buzzy atmosphere.BobbyDined on 26/7/2014The service is friendly. As we arrived on of our party became unwell and had to leave so we went from a table booked for 5 to just 2. This was not a problem, we moved to a smaller table and the staff were great as was the food. The ambience is cosy and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousVIPDined on 26/7/2014A group of us went to Joe Allen's on a Saturday night. The restaurant has the feel of a classic, old-school New York steakhouse (with accompanying pianist) and some of the staff seem to have the associated arrogance, but unfortunately the quality of the food just doesn't back it up. The calamari was stringy and the fillet steak was very disappointing and not cooked as requested. A real shame but I won't be going again.
- Doesn't disappointJAZZWISE2013Dined on 24/7/2014After visiting Joe,s I Newyork recently I thought we would check out London after many years , high standard of staff , good value menu well cooked and good value , it was late after theatre , but we were not hassled. A very professional restaurant . Jolly good show shorter than Wolf Hall .Special Features:
- Another lovely evening!DanielleVIPDined on 24/7/2014Great meal at Joe Allen's - I would highly recommend the "secret burgers". The decor is a wonderful history of theatre and the restaurant is located right next to a couple of theatre's making this a great choice for a pre-theatre dinner / drink.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereRiandoDined on 20/7/2014Romantic atmosphere. Marvelous piano music played, old wartime hits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theatre SupperCottonDined on 19/7/2014Down the steps into an atmosphere most unexpected! Very pleasant ambience good menu including being serenaded by a pianistSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatHungryrabbitVIPDined on 18/7/2014I took my brother here for his birthday, and there were three of us, three bottles of wine, and three courses, all for £200, which I thought was pretty good value considering all of us loved all of our courses. And a lovely cosy atmosphere where you don't have to be on best behaviour or talk in hushed tones!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oliviaoliviaDined on 18/7/2014What a fantastic meal. Not the first, definitely not the last at Joe Allen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-hypedJABYDined on 16/7/2014The marketing hype, 2-hour time-limit per booking and the menu pricing led me to expect something more special than Joe Allens turned out to be. It is only a lower mid-market popular restaurant and, as such, is over-priced. For two, the total bill was £100, including one bottle of wine for c.£25, two starters and two mains, with coffees. Service was excellent, with a warm welcome and was very attentive and well informed. Tables are rather crammed together and the basement location is a bit gloomy, or atmospheric, depending on what you seek. Food was fine, but not special.Special Features:
- A lovely break bewteen shows.camapariandorangeDined on 16/7/2014A great way to nourish yourself between a marathon theatre experience. The atmosphere and service lend themselves to the enhancement of what was a magical day.Special Features:
- JayBeeDined on 16/7/2014Pleasant atmosphere with very helpful staff. The lunchtime menu is very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2014Fantastic evening, staff great and vey attentive and made to feel very relaxed and a valued customer. Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usual good standardrogercuthbertDined on 12/7/2014Popped in here again after many years since our last visit after Skylight at the Wyndhams. Pleasant and relaxing, good food and attentive staff.Special Features:
- Great pre theatre table for twoReevesDined on 10/7/2014Excellent service and decent food. Impressed with the atmospheric, friendly and classic lively restaurant. Good tables for two with plenty of space. Professional and efficient with the pre theatre crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.