13 Exeter Street
London, WC2E 7DTNeighbourhood:
AmericanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joeallen.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7836 0651
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to and including Thursday noon to midnight
Friday noon to 12.45
Saturday 10am to 12.45
Sunday 10am to 11.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist plays background music, mainly theatre tunes from 7:00PM to 11:00PM Monday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday 8:00PM till midnight.
Sunday Brunch: noon till 4PM
A word from Joe Allen
The combination of a great location, informal environment and quality food made Joe Allen an instant hit with the theatre community as well as theatre goers.Continued
It's the perfect location for someone searching for great food whether in casual dress or glamorous depending on individual choice.
It's the perfect location for someone searching for great food whether in casual dress or glamorous depending on individual choice.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe Allen reviews from OpenTable diners
383 reviews since 27 November 2013
pre/post theatre (269)special occasions (94)business meals (76)brunch (70)group bookings (66)romance (58)sunday lunch (46)fit for foodies (44)outstanding value (36)child friendly (24)good vegetarian options (18)afternoon tea (6)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/11/2014Excellent ambience and really good value. Definitively will returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly & StylishNaturalSelectionDined on 21/11/2014A great place to meet and rekindle old friendships. The service was attentive and friendly. The food was delicious and even when a problem arose due to some less than warm spare ribs being served, the manager quickly resolved the problem with new plates of sizzling ribs and she kindly offered to pay for one of the bottles of wine that we had ordered by way of goodwill. The atmosphere of Joe Allen has always been relaxed and oozes a certain kind of style that makes you feel you belong to an exclusive club. I loved every minute and will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good - some not so goodBarryDined on 13/11/2014A busy restaurant that retains its buzz. Service was very good, as always, but the quality of the food has dipped. Two of our four meals were barely adequate. Remains a good bet for pre/post theatre as the staff will ensure you make your next appointment on time.
- MixedMarkDined on 11/11/2014The chowder was like vegarables soup but runnier with a couple of clams thrown in, not good, so they kindly took it off the bill, and when I ordered a glass of wine, they forgot! So they gave me a small glass on the house, so the dealt with it well, but I'd rather have had a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfood58VIPDined on 10/11/2014Joe Allen is a West End institution. We had a pre theatre meal, which allows the option of adding £3 for a glass of wine to add with the set meal. some good options to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old friendThomBayes2Dined on 10/11/2014Our first visit to Joe Allen's was well over 20 years' ago. We have returned many times over the years and it never disappoints. The staff are unfailingly helpful and attentive. The ambience is very special, the food is excellent and the drinks sensibly priced. Overall, the prices are very reasonable, particularly given the prime location. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysColmVIPDined on 7/11/2014Joe Allen - always reliable, great service, buzy atmospehere and lovely foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still ExcellentGordybooDined on 6/11/2014Been coming here for at least 25 years, or it certainly feels that way. Still love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good pricesSimonRVIPDined on 6/11/2014Nice atmosphere with good service and food in this institution.Special Features:
- freddieDined on 4/11/2014We have been going for years and still love the atmosphere, the food is on a pricey side but it's good. A perfect place to take friends from abroad, they always love it.Special Features:
- Cosy and funSouthKenlocalDined on 4/11/2014We were a party of 6 and had a good meal in old-fashioned but fun surroundings. The food was excellent, with the emphasis on comfort food, the service was very friendly but rather slow, although initially that was our fault as one of our party was late in arriving about which they were very accommodating. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Old FavouriteHugoVIPDined on 2/11/2014We have been Joe Allen fans for more years than I care to remember. Sunday brunch this visit. As always classics well executed and staff efficient and professional. Quality and reliability as always. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Visit number threeFoodieDined on 1/11/2014Brilliant atmosphere as ever, fascinating people watching and interesting menu, food standards weren't quite up to their usual but the service and ambience were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gemDonnaAVPDined on 31/10/2014A fabulous little restaurant with gorgeous food and a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maggie CMaggieCDined on 31/10/2014Booked a pre-theatre dinner prior to Evita. Received a great welcome and reasonably good service to start the evening. Unfortunately, my chicken was as dry as dust and no-one came to check until my husband had finished his meal - hence no opportunity to order again. Dora was our waitress by this time - the first guy disappeared without trace (or a goodbye!) - and she showed genuine concern - to the extent that she did not charge for my main course. She handled the situation very well but sadly the experience rather spoilt the evening as dining should be a shared experience.Special Features:
- Easy DiningATheatreluvvyDined on 30/10/2014I don't know if there has been a change of Chef, but, although the food is always good, this time it was exceptional. From the moment we entered the restaurant we were greeted and served by fun and efficient staff. This was lunch time, I would still have reservations about booking for a post Theatre meal as it is usually noisy with all the theatre luvvies trying to be noticed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before theatrebakumattDined on 28/10/2014As the restaurant was close to theatre we thought we would give it a try. I phone and was told they were fully booked by a rather abrupt receptionist. However when I booked with open table every time was available. Food was average, waiter was ok however food was over priced and limited on menu. Overall I wouldn't repeat the experienceSpecial Features:
- Very good as usualGreyisgoodDined on 26/10/2014A well-made vodka martini, a good choice of US classics, friendly and speedy service. What more could one ask for a Sunday night?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationGlenDined on 26/10/2014We had a lovely birthday meal for my husband First time and we would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre Covent GardenlindaneDined on 23/10/2014We had the pre theatre menu. It offered a satisfactory choice for each of the three courses on offer. We had both the red and the white house wines and they were good value. We enjoyed the food, the wine, the ambiance and the friendly service and the guarantee that we would have time to get up the road. Will book again when we are in the area and will go again to their normal evening menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theatre dinnerluv2dineDined on 18/10/2014I would recommend to friends.... We made a group booking of 9 and not one of us could complain. The food was lovely and the atmosphere was great. I'd definitely come back!Special Features:
- Joe AllenkkLondonDined on 17/10/2014The staff and service are great- good selection and always open late for post theatre dinner- always a favourite place to take out of town friends after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good meal and ambienceAndyTDined on 12/10/2014We are regulars at Joe Allen's for post-theatre suppers and the occasional Sunday lunch. On this occasion wanted a cosy and comfortable place for a nice late Sunday lunch and Joe Allen's does not disappoint. Very relaxed, very pleasant - perfect for what we wantedSpecial Features:
- joe allen after the theatreandyDined on 11/10/2014this restaurant has slipped in comparison with the competition locally in terms of service and food quality. Mediocre at best!
- Energetic maitre'd saved serviceFoodieDined on 8/10/2014We came into a late reservation and the place was full and busy. Clearly there were too few servers and they struggled... The young energetic Maitre'd saved the evening taking orders, served dishes all over the restaurant literally flying with his long legs across the floor. The food was great and we had a great time!Special Features:
- HmmmADH1Dined on 8/10/2014Used to go to Joe Allen's in years gone by. Food quality has decreased. Service was slow, disorganised, vague, inattentive. Shame about that. Piano playing as always was great.Special Features:
- Oh dear, how have the mighty fallenJulietteDined on 6/10/2014Very disappointing return for our party of 3 (all once regulars). Desultory greeting at the door. Cloakroom assistant has gone so no offer to deal with our coats, despite it being a rainy day. They finished up on the back of our chairs. Inexperienced waitress hovered around as if saying "Get on with it." Food mediocre: floppy Mexican salad, English sausage and mash (though shown as Italian on the menu), cheese pleasant enough but with dry bread and no other choice than cheddar. Waitress embarrassed when I asked if she got the service charge; when pressed, she said no, it was a standard management charge. I left a cash tip, which was seized by another staff member. What a mean, cost-cutting place this has become.
- Another return to Joe AllensatfactsDined on 4/10/2014Perennially consistent year after year. Not as busy on this Saturday as has been in the past. Service a little slow to start but wait-staff apologised, unbidden. Food just as good as is the atmosphere. We will be back.Special Features:
- Amazing as usualJoSLDined on 3/10/2014I haven't been to Joe Allens for a while. Really happy that nothing has changed. Had the off menu burgers and fries as well as garlic bread and chicken croquettes. Perfect food, well prepared and presented. And those new desserts...wow. Apple crumble pie and jelly & mousse....lovely. Great service and the wonderful atmosphere all make this one of my favourite central London eateries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsJodieDined on 2/10/2014Better than expected as reviews suggested an American diner al be it a good one which did not do this place justice. Would return again happily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as everSquareMileOmnivoreVIPDined on 1/10/2014I've become a firm fan of Joe Allen and try to get there as often as I can. They change the recipe for the ever-present lamb rump now and then. I hadn't been so keen on the way they'd been doing it with fennel (I think) since the Spring. So when I saw it now on offer with zucchini and salsa, I pounced, and spent an evening here when I didn't want to cook. The lamb was superb - I can't imagine this relatively simple dish being done better. The staff here are some of the best in the business and clearly trained to be efficient in such a busy, noisy restaurant. They cope perfectly with the spectrum from big parties, through couples to occasional singleton fans like me. And I have brought friends & colleagues here with equal success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it herebluejamieDined on 27/9/2014Joe Allen's never changes, which is part of its charm. The food is excellent and it's the perfect place to go post theatre - you'll find you're dining with everyone else from the audience (and occasionally from the stage too). Good wine selection and lovely food.Special Features:
- Post theatre late diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014We had a table booked for 11pm after the theatre and this place was just what we needed. I couldn't believe we weren't the last to eat , this made us feel very welcome. Gorgeous food that I couldn't fault. Dodgy waiter who mixed up the desert but nothing to complain about and my dad tipped him anyway! Will definitely return on our next theatre trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findFoodieDined on 25/9/2014I have been here for lunch before and its been great. Service is always a little slow but you can get a lunch done in an hour which is great. Dinner however was another story. It took near enough an hour for our meal to come out. We did want dessert but as our meal took so long, we decided against it. Its also incredibly dark in there so found ourselves almost falling asleep at the table. Food was fine but I think the lunch menu is much much nicer. This restaurant is great for lunch and dinner if you have a few hours to spareSpecial Features:
- AlexHVIPDined on 22/9/2014Joe Allen's is an institution. Hidden away behind the theatres, it continues to serve good food in a cosy, intimate environment. Long may it continue!Special Features:
- pre-theatre supperOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 20/9/2014another excellent pre-theatre supper, excellent ambience and food with excellent service. a little pricey, £100 pounds for 2 for 2 courses but another wonderful experience, nonethelessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuceDined on 18/9/2014Good portions, good atmosphere, wine choice was limitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a great locationperinoukDined on 18/9/2014Second time at Joe Allen's and it is now my default location if eating indoors in Covent Garden. Love the place, the food and the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjohnbDined on 18/9/2014I come here all the time, mainly for lunch but pre-theatre dinner is also good. Lovely intimate, yet spacious dining room below street level in an excellent location of Exeter Street, Dovent Garden. Food is American/European style, good set lunches and a la carte. Fish is always particularly good here. Decent wine list and very attentive and helpful waiting staff. Only slight niggle is that prices have crept up in recent years so it is not 'excellent' value for money. However that will not stop me coming back time and again.Special Features:
- luvfood58VIPDined on 17/9/2014Joe Allen is an icon of the London dining scene. Always good to return - we had two courses from the a la carte menu as a pre-theatre meal. friendly service, very reasonable drinks prices. Fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.