Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
34 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighbourhood:
SouthernPrice: £25 and under
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joessouthernkitchen.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072404008x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:45pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Soul food, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Mark Jeevaratnam
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
Bringing you the best in new wave of Deep South cooking. Expect pressure-fried chicken, soft shell crab, as well as mac ‘n’ cheese, devilled ham and cornbread worthy of your Louisiana Mama. Haven’t got one? No fear. With treats such as our signature ‘Beer Can’ Chicken, a tasty roast served on a meat trolley and carved before your eyes, Joe’s is the only Mama you need. Plus, with Marco Piroli heading our cocktail and spirits-focused list, we welcome you to give our Redneck Popper or Mary & the Soldier a try. So, you’ve heard all about it - for great American cuisine, beyond the burger, head down to Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar, your all-American home from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
448 reviews since 24 May 2014
group bookings (188)pre/post theatre (164)fit for foodies (113)special occasions (89)outstanding value (48)child friendly (44)brunch (42)romance (41)sunday lunch (40)business meals (28)outdoor eating (7)good vegetarian options (7)afternoon tea (5)disabled access (2)Show More
- Lovely lunch :)studentfoodieDined on 17/9/2014Returned a couple of months later and I'm really happy I did! We did have a 30 minute delay for our starter (the coq'n'balls) but the waiter came over and apologised and struck it from the bill and our mains came very promptly afterwards. We both had the Blue Plate Special which is outstanding value - and the home made lemonade is delicious! My pieces of chicken were quite fiddly to eat but very tasty my friend had a beautiful piece of breast meat. Absolutely loved the home made BBQ sauce and hot sauce - and upon saying we loved it to the waiter he gave us a bottle - great service! Will definitely be going back again and will recommend - maybe in the evening to sample the may different tequilas......Special Features:
- Pretty GoodMullersDined on 16/9/2014Everyone agreed that their food was good. My only criticism with the food would be that the fried potatoes that came with the buttermilk chicken should have been crispy and that the coleslaw was a little too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and cocktailsTerrytenDined on 13/9/2014Great food from a good basic chicken and rib type card Nice for many different events including just having fried chicken with mash and gravy because you are hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fried chickenFeedmeeeDined on 9/9/2014We decided to go to Joe's because we fancied "posh" fried chicken... and that's exactly what we got. The fried chicken is battered in buttermilk (apparently it's healthier??) and was delicious. We received three generous pieces of free-range chicken and a side dish for £12.95. We also had starters, I ordered the soft shell crab which was very tasty. The restaurant wasn't too packed either - a nice change from other places in the area serving similar food. I would dine here again, particularly if I'm around early enough to catch their happy hour: £4 cocktails from 4pm to 6:30pm Monday to Fridays!Special Features:
- rjac12Dined on 5/9/2014Great food, fun menu and excellent cocktails. Would eat here again.
- DisappointingSapphiregirl1Dined on 3/9/2014I love the style and interior of this place but the food wasn't good at all the service was unbelievably slow. Maybe they were understaffed that night. Fried chicken was dry, popcorn shrimp was way a too overcooked and chewy.
- Lovin Joes :)Dineingdonnellys2Dined on 31/8/2014Service brilliant,very helpful,happy staff.Food portions more than ample.My husband and I travel down to London from Coventry and have eaten in many establishments,covering high end to market street food and this definitely has to be one of my favourite places to eat.I had the beer can chicken whilst my husband had southern fried,both being absoulutely gorgeous.the staff have to get a mention as I have never come across such cheery people,and not in the false, contrived manner that so many places seem to be installing in their teams,they were naturally friendly,so well done Joes for you seem to have got everything right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Friendly ServiceChallibumDined on 30/8/2014As soon as you walk in, you can see that there has been a lot of effort put in to get the place looking good! The service is friendly, fun yet helpful and quick. The food is delicious, I've been twice and the "Beer Can Chicken" is beautiful. Great to share between 2 or 3 people, with the waitress chopping up the whole bird while you watch at your table. Large drinks menu, with some great cocktails, however these are slightly expensive, but this is London! Overall a great experience, and will be going again.Special Features:
- Great Southern American FoodCamilleDined on 30/8/2014We went last Saturday and we had a very nice experience. The Beef Rib was just amazing - the meat was tender and we almost did not need knife. The Mac n cheese is a must try as there is spinach inside. For finish we had Oreo's ice cake which was just a great touch to finish this big meal. The ambience also was great and fit our group.Special Features:
- Brilliant VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014Really good atmosphere, with brilliant food and an extensive amount of delicious (yet expensive) cocktails. Service was attentive. Only downside is the expensive cocktails, food prices weren't too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingAmanDined on 29/8/2014Great, lively place. Great starters, leave you feeling too full for the mains!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discretionary Service Charge?Mark4Dined on 29/8/2014My wife and I visited Joes for a pre-theatre meal last Friday, 5:30pm. We had a selection of starters and the be snacks, all great. For mains we had the special burger, it was superb. In fact possibly the best I have eaten this side of NYC. The cocktails from the happy hour menu; Amaretto Sours and Margaritas, absolutely fine. Total bill, remember for a pre-fix alternative, £67. The restaurant quite ordinarily makes it known that a Discretionary Service Charge of 12.5% will be added. Ordinarily, when presented with the chip and pin device one is able to select Yes or No for this. Not in Joes. The manager was required to remove it from the bill, so that we might leave a cash tip. Embarrassing at least misleading at worst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty FooddcDCDined on 28/8/20142nd time here with friends - good location, good food and service all at reasonable prices - cocktails are great. only negative was we were upstairs and it was so dark we couldn't read the main menu so we went for the specials sheet that was more legibleSpecial Features:
- The best fried chicken.foodie1995Dined on 26/8/2014At this restaurant we found just what we were looking for- hot, sizzling and crunch tender friend chicken. The sides were great too - especially the chips. Good portions. Great value considering the location and venue itself. Added to my list of favourite restaurants!Special Features:
- Chilled dining experienceNatmullsDined on 26/8/2014I went to joe's with a friend for dinner. Food was really tasty and service was good - not in your face. Ambience was really relaxed, good drinks menu and interesting decor. Would recommend for relaxed date or dinner with friends. Good value with the taste card (241 on food).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good cocktail, food underwhelmingMelBDined on 23/8/2014I was looking forward to lunch here on a Saturday afternoon. The staff are pleasant and welcoming, the atmosphere is relaxed. The cocktails were good, lots of choice. I was expecting amazing fried chicken, unfortunately it was just ok and the food could've been hotter. One dish was sent back and returned, but no real improvement. I would still go back for a cocktail and maybe bar snacks.
- MediocreJonDDined on 22/8/2014Given it was a busy Friday night, but when spending £80-£100 for two people I do expect more, as soon as we sat down and given munue's we were asked what we wanted to drink (which is fine) but if we were also ready to order food, the starter of slow roasted beef chili flowerpot had two or three small tiny pieces of beef in it, the rest was liquid, then for main I had steak from the specials board which was nice but the mushroom sauce tasted burned and was black, the 'skinny fries' although a good concept were like crisps so difficult to eat with an knife and fork. Used to go here a lot when it was Navajo Joe's and it was great, unfortunately its no longer in the same league and was disappointing.Special Features:
- A new addictionCookwitchDined on 22/8/2014Very friendly place, I feel totally comfortable eating solo here. The food is always good, most times outstandings and the staff look after you really well. No glares if you just want tap water! Solo dining, team lunches- brilliant. The evening shift can be loud, yes, but not horribly so. But who wants to talk when you could be eating luscious fried chicken or Long Horn ribeye?! From a decent Caesar salad, to beans, to pulled pork, ribeyes, beef short ribs and the Coq of the Day, they win. Would definitely recommend, my team all want to go back again. And again. And AGAIN.Special Features:
- Good value, nice foodyumfoodVIPDined on 20/8/2014I used to love this place when it was Navajo Joe's, the interior layout is the same. We were originally placed on a table right by the door, which we didn't want and had to make a bit of a fuss to be placed on the mezzanine even thought the restaurant was half empty when we went in. The food is good value, they were helpful accommodating gluten free. The jalapeño poppers are spicy!!!! drinks were good, the bacon in the burger was all fat, and the mac and cheese was too watery, but over all good. I would recommend and return. The bill was cheaper than I expected it to be, which is always a nice surprise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 13/8/2014If you don't want Southern USA food then don't bother - cos that's what they specialise in here! The food was very good, the portions generous but not over-whelming, the service was suitable (this isn't a silver service restaurant, so I prefer my service with personality and a bit sparky - and the girls were reactive and friendly).Special Features:
- Joe's 18th birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2014We booked a table at Joe's for my son's 18th. I had indicated that it was his 18th in an email to the restaurant however on arrival we were put on a table under a mezzanine floor in a corner which was very dark. The service although we do not like to be rushed was very slow. The drinks including cocktails were fine and the starters were also tasty, however, the main course was very disappointing. We had burgers that did not look too appetising and also we had the Joes Fried Chicken. This was the most disappointing as this consisted of two chicken drumsticks and a wing.i did complain and got a full refund but this was supposed to be an 18 th and this left us feeling a bit flat after having such a great day in London.
- birthdaygj2019Dined on 2/8/2014Had an excellent meal at joes, food was awesome and service good. Can't wait to go back agin :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyBollieDined on 31/7/2014The restaurant was unbearably noisy people were shouting to be heard above the music, there were no soft furnishings so everything clattered adding to the noise. Tables were close to each other so that made things worse. It was a narrow menu, food was dry and worst still the service was so slow I couldn't wait to get out of the asylum. Sorry to write such a poor review,Special Features:
- Great placePhilipMDined on 30/7/2014We love this place.... Great bar, great cocktails, fabulous food and friendly, competent staff. A great place for a catch up with friends!Special Features:
- flavoursome and super fast servicefatbellyDined on 28/7/2014Located close to Covent Garden tube with modern interior styling. We each chose different meals, mine was from the daily specials board chicken in a bun - delicious we all enjoyed our meals. Couldn't resist desert brownie and ice-cream never tasted better nutty with rich chocolate flavour. The cocktails were on happy hour £4 and again we can had to have two delicious!! Dine here and you will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good American dinerNiallBDined on 26/7/2014Nice room, great bar, godd buzz. Food was very good and service was quick, attentive and friendly. It's off Covent Garden, so it's not going to be cheap. It was a Saturday lunch, so not overly busy, but I imagine it is jumping at night. Good, fun diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch :)studentfoodieDined on 21/7/2014Went out with a friend for a good catch up - and chose Joe's as we didn't want a chain restaurant having made the effort to travel up to London! Our server was extremely welcoming and directed us right to our table - it was right by a window - but very close to another table. This was probably the only downside to the meal - we were just a little too close. We both ordered the "blue plate special" and for £10 we got two pieces of southern fried chicken, a large portion of chips and their bbq beans AND A DRINK AS WELL - we chose the lemonade (delicious) as we weren't drinking but could have had lager or wine. The food was really delicious - will definitely go back again - the bar was incredibly cool as well!Special Features:
- Soul foodfeedmyfaceDined on 20/7/2014Really enjoyed the vibe of Southern Joe's Kitchen. Great soul music and really friendly team members. I enjoyed the food but if I was being picky, the Chicken was a little dry.Special Features:
- Food a let downFoodieVIPDined on 19/7/2014Went to Joe's to meet some friends. Arrived early to meet at the bar. The bar staff and service was very attentive and friendly whilst we waited for our table. Service was also good at the table however the food was very average. Three of our group had the popcorn shrimp which arrived barely warm and with a rubber consistency. All three of us sent it back. For the main three people had chicken and one of us the burger. Again the fries were not particularly hot and the chicken received mixed reviews with no-one having great things to say about the salad that accompanied it. Drop into Joe's if you want to grab a drink but I think there are better places to go for food and none of our group will be heading back for dinner
- A very happy 6 year oldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/7/2014We had lunch at Joe's for lunch before Matilda and it started the day off well, the staff were lovely, food was great and they made a fuss of our daughter we a special brownie puddingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Chicken SpotPFS1VIPDined on 12/7/2014We went looking for a bit of an American experience, and the fried chicken with hot sauce didn't disappoint. The slow service did, however. The food was generally good and value high, since, let's face it, you can only charge so much for chicken, even excellent chicken in large quantities. The space is fun and the atmosphere very "Park Avenue South". But that's where the "South" ended as far as we could tell: the corn, the collard greens, the cornbread muffins just didn't reflect what we expected. And, again, the service was far from American: wine came 3/4ths of the way through the food, sauce was hard to come by, pre-dinner drinks were ordered with dinner, since the server was not to be found. Neat concept though.
- great food great atmosphere!KBTB1Dined on 12/7/2014We had southern fried chicken and the nashville chicken special and was amazing! When the dishes first came out it didn't look like much but once you got into it you realised looks were deceiving! It beatcus both so we got it to go and had it the next morning. Our server was lovely too, and service was quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indulgent tasty goodnessTerabitesDined on 11/7/2014Had the southern fried chicken, the portions are massive! I recommend the mac and cheese and fried sweet potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Julie's bday mealmelissaDined on 11/7/2014Great food, good prices and cheap cocktails. We enjoyed our trip and no one left hungry. I would go again definitelySpecial Features:
- Funky RestaurantFrankieDined on 7/7/2014Quite a funky restaurant and a very nice place to be. Service was good and the staff were friendly. Great cocktails, especially as it was happy hour! The food came out really quickly which suggests it is not cooked to order which is a bit of a negative point for me. My fried chicken came with creamed potatoes which is a slightly odd combo but tasty all the same.Special Features:
- nice food, service not greatPeterlovesfoodDined on 5/7/2014Been before twice at less busier times and the students difference in service was night and day.a friend s main took ages to come and we had almost finished by the time it arrived, a simple request for a smaller spoon to eat dessert took 2 requests and 2 people who looked shocked by such a request, I don't like eating dessert with a shovel sized spoon, by the time it arrived the ice cream had half melted and the hot chocolate sauce was cold. Still the food was very nice over allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fried chicken!ShaKDined on 3/7/2014Been to Joe's several times and the food is delicious. It is noisy but the music and atmosphere is good and the place is always busy. Te fried chicken and beef rib are to die for. Great cocktails and friendly service though can be a little slow at times. Recommended!Special Features:
- Good Covent Garden eats.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/6/2014Went with my wife and son for a bite on a Saturday evening. We arrived a little early for our booking, so were asked to sit at the bar for a little while, which was fine. Our drinks had just arrived when our able was ready, so this worked out well. Our waitress, sorry I forget her name, but she was from north Wales, was really good, explained dishes well and a good way about her. Food came promptly, decent break between starter and main, food was good apart from the fried potato side. Would recommend to friends, and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love joeschouxchouxDined on 27/6/2014A firm favourite of ours and always such goid value. First time we have gone eith a veggie and she loved it too!Special Features:
- Great service.Tastesensation22Dined on 27/6/2014The restaurant had a great atmosphere, our waiter was excellent, but the service charge is annoying, it suggests to me, that you cannot trust your customers to tip for great service. The food was good, but value for money, not in my opinion.