Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
34 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighbourhood:
SouthernPrice: £25 and under
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joessouthernkitchen.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072404008x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:45pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Soul food, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Mark Jeevaratnam
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
Bringing you the best in new wave of Deep South cooking. Expect pressure-fried chicken, soft shell crab, as well as mac ‘n’ cheese, devilled ham and cornbread worthy of your Louisiana Mama. Haven’t got one? No fear. With treats such as our signature ‘Beer Can’ Chicken, a tasty roast served on a meat trolley and carved before your eyes, Joe’s is the only Mama you need. Plus, with Marco Piroli heading our cocktail and spirits-focused list, we welcome you to give our Redneck Popper or Mary & the Soldier a try. So, you’ve heard all about it - for great American cuisine, beyond the burger, head down to Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar, your all-American home from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
450 reviews since 31 October 2013
group bookings (195)pre/post theatre (173)fit for foodies (123)special occasions (86)outstanding value (51)child friendly (47)brunch (42)sunday lunch (39)romance (36)business meals (28)good vegetarian options (8)afternoon tea (6)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (3)Show More
- Tasty big portions !SanjuDined on 28/10/2014The good was excellent, proper American style with big portions. My son had the 8hr slow cooked beef ribs and it was served well with the meat just falling off the bone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodABCFoodDined on 26/10/2014I booked an hour in advance which proved useful as there was an hour wait when I arrived. A busy restaurant is usually a good one and Joe's is no exception, the atmosphere was warm acoustics allowed easy conversation and there was plenty of space to move around. I had a choice to carve the beer can chicken myself or have it prepared at the table - I went for the latter! Overall a very good meal and would recommend Joe's especially if you are a meat eater!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and too slow seatingMercereauDined on 25/10/2014I booked a table for 2 at 6.30pm on Saturday evening. The table was not ready upon our arrival despite us being able to see quite a few empty tables so we waited at the bar. 45 minutes later we were still waiting and at least 5 parties that had come in after us had been seated so I returned to the host and asked about our table. He checked the reservations system and we could clearly see as he scrolled through the names that we were the only ones that had not been seated. When I questioned him he quickly said that our table was now ready. Once we finally got to our table we were served very quickly and efficiently. The food was brought quickly and was very nice. Would I go there again? Not if I had to wait so long for a table.Special Features:
- Joe's Southern KitchencarlstimeoutDined on 25/10/2014Joe's southern kitchen is a lively Restaurant with the added advantage of a great bar. It's well worth the visit as staff are really helpful and most importantly the food is great.Special Features:
- Southern US food in LondonStinkyCheeseDined on 22/10/2014I'm a huge fan of food from Southern US and this didn't disappoint! The fried chicken, corn and Monterey Jack rice balls and corn bread muffins were absolutely delicious! I had the pecan pie for pudding, and whilst it was tasty, it wasn't as good as I've had before. I would recommend the peanut butter martini as well. The only thing that was disappointing was the frequency of service - our waiter was very friendly when we saw him, but unfortunately that didn't happen very often. I would still dine here again (allowing myself a few hours for the meal) and would recommend this to others looking for some delicious Southern US home-style cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with friendsPistachioDined on 21/10/2014Had dinner here with a few friends after drinks in Covent Garden one evening.Food was very good but not a massive choice, wish they had the sandwiches option for dinner instead of just lunch. It's a tad overpriced but the portion sizes are excellent. I can highly recommend the 'Prison Platter'.Special Features:
- Beautiful place to feastfoodiemuncherDined on 19/10/2014food is amazing. a little on the pricey side but is well worth it. lovelyySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downjohnnyp11Dined on 18/10/2014Food was gristley and expensive for what it was. Cramped seating,service was OK,but still found others got food before us who ordered 10 minutes after us. Overall,would not eat there again.Special Features:
- Fun affordable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014Joe's Southern Kitchen & Bar is a great place to go with a group of friends for a casual meal with great ambiance, the resturaunt is very vibrant and considering it's location is affordable as well. Service was great also with a good rapport with the waiter.Special Features:
- awesomestevoDined on 17/10/2014Really great food. Really great service. Have already recommended to friends and will be going back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYJojoDined on 15/10/2014GREAT FOOD, TOOK AN AMERICAN FRIEND FOR HER BIRTHDAY, SHE LOVED IT !!!!Special Features:
- raleighreesVIPDined on 11/10/2014good friend chicken bit loud at night but war would you expect on a Saturday night near covent Garden
- A taste of the U.S. South?spiritof64Dined on 11/10/2014My 2nd visit to Joes was for dinner and was a much better experience. The restaurant was very busy and also very noisy but I think that was due in part to our table being under a mezzanine and in the corner. Service was good and fairly fast and our food arrived promptly. Starters were wings and cheese & rice balls all of which went down very nicely. Mains were southern fried catfish and southern fried chicken again 2 nicely done dishes which left us both quite full. Though we had to move tables due to a large party coming in, we were promptly reseated upstairs and didn't ruin what was a very pleasant evening. Good food which brought back good memories of a visit to Texas. Look forward to my next visit despite the noisey surroundings.Special Features:
- Good ValueLiamDined on 10/10/2014Food arrived very quickly and was very nice although the service was not of a great standardSpecial Features:
- huge portions of deliciousnessamericanlondonerDined on 10/10/2014We were sat upstairs overlooking the bar so had a nice view of the place which was full of friends and dates. The food was full of flavour, well executed and the portions were huge. We had a starter of chicken wings with tabasco honey - crispy and juicy. For mains, I had the prison plate (incredible - the butter beans and pulled pork were the highlights) and my friend had the fried chicken (very meaty and juicy) and chips (bit too salty for me). Come hungry! I was full up until 3pm the next day.Special Features:
- Awesome southern experience in UKNOLADined on 8/10/2014Awesome Resturant...I'm from the USA, and this Resturant made me feel like I was home. Great prices, large portions, friendly staff and spacious Resturant. Took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it... ESP their extensive bourbon and whisky selection! I Would def recommend the ribs and Mac & chesse here!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Jo'sAngela01Dined on 7/10/2014I used to regularly use this venue when it was Nava Jo's so was looking forward to going here. Unfortunately really dissapointed. We were looking at the menu and the waitress seemed to be rushing us with our orders. When we did place the order the food turned up in minutes and it was really disappointing dry and flavourless. I left most of my dinner and the waitress didn't even ask if there was a problem. I won't be returning to this restuarant again.
- Good food and good atmosphereZeezeeDined on 3/10/2014I came here with a friend on a Friday evening after work. There was a good atmosphere in the restaurant and there is a good selection on the menu. The food is tasty and portion sizes generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nightyumyum76Dined on 3/10/2014Authentic food, great portion size, lots to choose from, yummy cocktails, fab service and good location and atmosphere. Def go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/10/2014Half of the food was good and I'd recommend the fried chicken. The special - a burger with Mac and cheese was pretty horrible. Came tepid and without some advertised toppings. Waitress v apologetic. When I got to eat it the burger itself tasted horrible - really offally and gristley. Mac and cheese was cold and congealed. Couldn't eat more than two bites. Waitress apologised and said she'd speak to the manager about it. Bill came with full charges. I disputed and they gave me half off. Still, it is the worst burger I've ever paid a fiver for. They did bring out birthday cake for my boyfriend though - which I'd pre requested- and on the whole service was good from floor staff if not the manager.
- Fun foodReasonsToLoveLondonDined on 27/9/2014Get your hands dirty (don't worry - they give you refresher towels at every course) and get stuck into the southern fried chicken - it's divine! A couple of our sides weren't as hot as they should have been, but overall it was a great meal, really fun, spicy and yummy and the service was fantastic! Would be terrific fun in a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageElleDined on 25/9/2014service was very quick, food was average american southern food. Good place to go for a quick bite to eat but when you are in the area but wouldn't make a special effort to go again
- Southern hospitality and delights!ShelDined on 20/9/2014Friendly and attentive service despite it being a busy Saturday night. There is an extensive bar available while waiting for your table and drinks ie cocktails are available during the meal. The food was divine, flavoursome and cooked to perfection! The portions were very generous also. I'm looking forward to another visit to sample some more of the delicious menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great atmospherelisa14Dined on 20/9/2014Went to Joe's for a birthday dinner, there were eight of us and the food was great as well as the service. Even though the place was heaving the food was prompt and it all tasted great. They also make an excellent dark and stormy cocktail! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- 10/10!!!foodfoodfoodDined on 20/9/2014Really enjoyed our dining experience at Joe's!! We would highly recommend and definitely go back!! Good food - good drinks - good atmosphere!!Special Features:
- Hot dog!HPattersonDined on 20/9/2014I had lunch here with two friends and we were all impressed with the food. Tasty, plenty of it etc. None of us had a dessert which is odd for us but nothing really took our fancy. I had the hot dog with pulled pork topping, very calorific but worth it :)Special Features:
- Lovely lunch :)studentfoodieDined on 17/9/2014Returned a couple of months later and I'm really happy I did! We did have a 30 minute delay for our starter (the coq'n'balls) but the waiter came over and apologised and struck it from the bill and our mains came very promptly afterwards. We both had the Blue Plate Special which is outstanding value - and the home made lemonade is delicious! My pieces of chicken were quite fiddly to eat but very tasty my friend had a beautiful piece of breast meat. Absolutely loved the home made BBQ sauce and hot sauce - and upon saying we loved it to the waiter he gave us a bottle - great service! Will definitely be going back again and will recommend - maybe in the evening to sample the may different tequilas......Special Features:
- Pretty GoodMullersDined on 16/9/2014Everyone agreed that their food was good. My only criticism with the food would be that the fried potatoes that came with the buttermilk chicken should have been crispy and that the coleslaw was a little too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and cocktailsTerrytenDined on 13/9/2014Great food from a good basic chicken and rib type card Nice for many different events including just having fried chicken with mash and gravy because you are hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe's southern kitcheniansDined on 12/9/2014Only real issue with this place is the cost, a family of 4 evening mean shouldn't cost nearly £200. The food did not justify the price
- Excellent fried chickenFeedmeeeDined on 9/9/2014We decided to go to Joe's because we fancied "posh" fried chicken... and that's exactly what we got. The fried chicken is battered in buttermilk (apparently it's healthier??) and was delicious. We received three generous pieces of free-range chicken and a side dish for £12.95. We also had starters, I ordered the soft shell crab which was very tasty. The restaurant wasn't too packed either - a nice change from other places in the area serving similar food. I would dine here again, particularly if I'm around early enough to catch their happy hour: £4 cocktails from 4pm to 6:30pm Monday to Fridays!Special Features:
- rjac12Dined on 5/9/2014Great food, fun menu and excellent cocktails. Would eat here again.
- DisappointingSapphiregirl1Dined on 3/9/2014I love the style and interior of this place but the food wasn't good at all the service was unbelievably slow. Maybe they were understaffed that night. Fried chicken was dry, popcorn shrimp was way a too overcooked and chewy.
- Lovin Joes :)Dineingdonnellys2Dined on 31/8/2014Service brilliant,very helpful,happy staff.Food portions more than ample.My husband and I travel down to London from Coventry and have eaten in many establishments,covering high end to market street food and this definitely has to be one of my favourite places to eat.I had the beer can chicken whilst my husband had southern fried,both being absoulutely gorgeous.the staff have to get a mention as I have never come across such cheery people,and not in the false, contrived manner that so many places seem to be installing in their teams,they were naturally friendly,so well done Joes for you seem to have got everything right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Friendly ServiceChallibumDined on 30/8/2014As soon as you walk in, you can see that there has been a lot of effort put in to get the place looking good! The service is friendly, fun yet helpful and quick. The food is delicious, I've been twice and the "Beer Can Chicken" is beautiful. Great to share between 2 or 3 people, with the waitress chopping up the whole bird while you watch at your table. Large drinks menu, with some great cocktails, however these are slightly expensive, but this is London! Overall a great experience, and will be going again.Special Features:
- Great Southern American FoodCamilleDined on 30/8/2014We went last Saturday and we had a very nice experience. The Beef Rib was just amazing - the meat was tender and we almost did not need knife. The Mac n cheese is a must try as there is spinach inside. For finish we had Oreo's ice cake which was just a great touch to finish this big meal. The ambience also was great and fit our group.Special Features:
- Brilliant VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014Really good atmosphere, with brilliant food and an extensive amount of delicious (yet expensive) cocktails. Service was attentive. Only downside is the expensive cocktails, food prices weren't too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingAmanDined on 29/8/2014Great, lively place. Great starters, leave you feeling too full for the mains!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discretionary Service Charge?Mark4Dined on 29/8/2014My wife and I visited Joes for a pre-theatre meal last Friday, 5:30pm. We had a selection of starters and the be snacks, all great. For mains we had the special burger, it was superb. In fact possibly the best I have eaten this side of NYC. The cocktails from the happy hour menu; Amaretto Sours and Margaritas, absolutely fine. Total bill, remember for a pre-fix alternative, £67. The restaurant quite ordinarily makes it known that a Discretionary Service Charge of 12.5% will be added. Ordinarily, when presented with the chip and pin device one is able to select Yes or No for this. Not in Joes. The manager was required to remove it from the bill, so that we might leave a cash tip. Embarrassing at least misleading at worst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty FooddcDCDined on 28/8/20142nd time here with friends - good location, good food and service all at reasonable prices - cocktails are great. only negative was we were upstairs and it was so dark we couldn't read the main menu so we went for the specials sheet that was more legibleSpecial Features: