Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
34 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighbourhood:
SouthernPrice: £25 and under
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joessouthernkitchen.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7240 4008
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:45pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Soul food, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Mark Jeevaratnam
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
Bringing you the best in new wave of Deep South cooking. Expect pressure-fried chicken, soft shell crab, as well as mac ‘n’ cheese, devilled ham and cornbread worthy of your Louisiana Mama. Haven’t got one? No fear. With treats such as our signature ‘Beer Can’ Chicken, a tasty roast served on a meat trolley and carved before your eyes, Joe’s is the only Mama you need. Plus, with Marco Piroli heading our cocktail and spirits-focused list, we welcome you to give our Redneck Popper or Mary & the Soldier a try. So, you’ve heard all about it - for great American cuisine, beyond the burger, head down to Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar, your all-American home from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
446 reviews since 23 November 2013
group bookings (186)pre/post theatre (172)fit for foodies (123)special occasions (81)outstanding value (50)child friendly (45)brunch (43)sunday lunch (40)romance (34)business meals (24)good vegetarian options (8)afternoon tea (5)outdoor eating (2)disabled access (2)Show More
- Good GF optionsFood4meDined on 21/11/2014The main reason we came was because of gluten free friendly menu. Meals are decent size and ok price for london. There are also several good gf options. Our food arrived very quickly and the service has been really quick and good both times we've been here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly reccommendedbtiwDined on 19/11/2014Went to Joe's with 2 colleagues. The service is super fast - not the place to sit down and chat for hours. But it's still friendly and welcoming. Not too noisy, so you can have a decent conversation. Great food - I had the prison plate and it's definitely value for money! The pecan pie was also divine. Try the scorpion wings if you are brave enough. Hot and you have to sign a waiver form before they serve you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageSuzieloveslondonDined on 16/11/2014Sadly, the reviews I had read online were misleading. There was nothing special about this place. The food was OK but nowhere near the 'homemade taste of southern comfort food' which is how the restaurant advertise itself. Service was a bit so-so, our waiter's english was not good enough that he could understand our order wich was a problem, and he forgot to bring/order our sides. Only highlight for me was the pulled pork which I found delicous.
- beer can chicken!marvinDined on 15/11/2014loved the food and the atmosphere was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the beer can check they took it away to cut it up so no photo opp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing good vibe restaurant.DareDined on 14/11/2014Tried both the southern fried chicken which was amazing very flavour full and the grilled chicken under a brick, which although didn't have as much flavour as the southern fried was still good. Definitely get the Tobasco Honey sauce to take everything up a notch. Skip the potato sides and go straight for the mash with chicken gravy, so creamy and tasty. Will go again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely going backDaveDined on 13/11/2014Really good atmosphere and fantastic sothern fried chicken and mash. The chili brisket pot is a must as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE!KarenDined on 12/11/2014I was really excited to go to Joe's for fried chicken! I arrived with a friend and although the restaurant is cool, we sat at a table for 2 upstairs where there are a few tables with no atmosphere. Without a doubt, the music is too loud. The waitress couldn't even hear our order! She was efficient but appeared to want to be elsewhere. The food was the biggest disappointment. I ordered the fried chicken meal. The chicken was good quality and not greasy, but far too spicy. There should be a spicy and non-spicy option. It was serviced in a small skillet on its own. I ordered the whipped potatoes which were served in a small dish and had absolutely no flavour. The gravy was tasteless and was so watery. Food presentation was 0/10. It was an awful meal served unenthusiastically. There would be no reason to return to Joe's!
- A little disappointedSallycDined on 9/11/2014We booked a table to take our American friend to lunch for her birthday. I commented on booking that it was her birthday and thought there would be some reference to this during our visit, how wrong can you be. The starters were really good. However my southern fried chicken was quite dry and the cornbread is nothing like American cornbread. The service was quite slow, only one waitress to serve all the upstairs tables. Perhaps my choice this time was not so good as I have always enjoyed the food I have had here previously. I was just really dissapointed that they did not even acknowledge the birthday that we came to celebrate
- Great restaurantChicknribs101Dined on 8/11/2014Our party had chicken and ribs and potato sides which were excellent. The drinks service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was too yummy!!CazamacaDined on 8/11/2014Ok so everything I ate was yum! Especially the pecan pie! To die for! The shrimp was really good! The pulled pork looked yummy!! I wish I had that too! Cocktails were good too! Staff were lovely I would Defo go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT QUICK FOODJojoVIPDined on 8/11/2014AS ALWAYS GREAT FOOD, GREAT SERVICE , GREAT ATMOSPHERE - WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANTSpecial Features:
- Good food & quick service!LovesToSpoogeDined on 8/11/2014Very good food, quick & helpful service and also very helpful staff helped us to change the booking. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a pig out!ClaireDined on 8/11/2014Third visit to Joe's, this time for pre matinee lunch. We didn't choose Joe's for health reasons and the food didn't disappoint. Overall good value for decent portions....beef short rib was particularly good (and enormous) and the fried chicken is always a safe bet. Service is polite though not effusive and on this occasion sitting on the mezzanine was somewhat blustery as the air-con was unapologetic to say the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist Trap - PoorFoodNomadDined on 5/11/2014With all of the decent pop up restaurants around, where good, creative food comes cheap, I certainly mistook this place for one when I read a review... This is a tourist trap just off Covent Garden. As a Londoner I should have known better given the location but I was keen to try 'decent' fried chicken. They yabber on about buttermilk this and that but what I got was 14 quid's worth of greasy and average chicken in the form of three pieces in a bowl. I ordered what I thought were fries as a side. These were deep fried chunks of potato - school dinners stylie. No greenery to be seen, but I guess I could have paid more for some? Add in two coke cans of beer (330ml for £4.50 ea) and we are talking £32 a head. Sometimes you lose, I get that...
- FunkystumpsDined on 1/11/2014They serve Good Quality Food and we will be eating here again. It is a bit cramped and can be noisy but we didn't mind that.
- Best Fried ChickenTomEDined on 31/10/2014Ridiculously good chicken served with lovely sides. Great atmosphere, attentive staff. Only issue is the sides (not the mains) are a little expensive given the portion side, but overall between a few people it evens out. Would happily go again.Special Features:
- HalloweenSMOKERS2Dined on 31/10/2014The staff were all dressed up to celebrate Halloween. It was a great atmosphere and they really went the extra mile. The food was very different and also tasty.Special Features:
- yjonesDined on 31/10/2014Menu was a bit limited and quite expensive for the size of the actual portions. Most likely would not go back. Service was good but tables also very close together and not very intimate. We were stuck on the back upstairs with very little atmosphere and ambience and I mentioned it was my husband's birthday but the Manager didn't pay any attention to that.Special Features:
- Friendly buzzPTAptaDined on 30/10/2014Joe's food is pretty basic Southern fare: sauces are the main event. Chicken is good, but buns (burgers) have gone a bit too far on portion control on meat, the quality of which is not really up to scratch. On the upside, though, teens who eat love this kind of food and its friendly service and buzz. So, atmosphere makes up some of the food's shortcomings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service, small portionsChrisDined on 29/10/2014I wasn't expecting gourmet food but the service was off hand, they forget a few drinks, portions were small and food not good. They just made no effort. Not cheap.
- Love this placeJojoVIPDined on 29/10/2014Awesome food, great location , great service, great cocktails will go back again and againSpecial Features:
- Tasty big portions !SanjuDined on 28/10/2014The good was excellent, proper American style with big portions. My son had the 8hr slow cooked beef ribs and it was served well with the meat just falling off the bone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodABCFoodDined on 26/10/2014I booked an hour in advance which proved useful as there was an hour wait when I arrived. A busy restaurant is usually a good one and Joe's is no exception, the atmosphere was warm acoustics allowed easy conversation and there was plenty of space to move around. I had a choice to carve the beer can chicken myself or have it prepared at the table - I went for the latter! Overall a very good meal and would recommend Joe's especially if you are a meat eater!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and too slow seatingMercereauDined on 25/10/2014I booked a table for 2 at 6.30pm on Saturday evening. The table was not ready upon our arrival despite us being able to see quite a few empty tables so we waited at the bar. 45 minutes later we were still waiting and at least 5 parties that had come in after us had been seated so I returned to the host and asked about our table. He checked the reservations system and we could clearly see as he scrolled through the names that we were the only ones that had not been seated. When I questioned him he quickly said that our table was now ready. Once we finally got to our table we were served very quickly and efficiently. The food was brought quickly and was very nice. Would I go there again? Not if I had to wait so long for a table.Special Features:
- Joe's Southern KitchencarlstimeoutDined on 25/10/2014Joe's southern kitchen is a lively Restaurant with the added advantage of a great bar. It's well worth the visit as staff are really helpful and most importantly the food is great.Special Features:
- Southern US food in LondonStinkyCheeseDined on 22/10/2014I'm a huge fan of food from Southern US and this didn't disappoint! The fried chicken, corn and Monterey Jack rice balls and corn bread muffins were absolutely delicious! I had the pecan pie for pudding, and whilst it was tasty, it wasn't as good as I've had before. I would recommend the peanut butter martini as well. The only thing that was disappointing was the frequency of service - our waiter was very friendly when we saw him, but unfortunately that didn't happen very often. I would still dine here again (allowing myself a few hours for the meal) and would recommend this to others looking for some delicious Southern US home-style cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with friendsPistachioDined on 21/10/2014Had dinner here with a few friends after drinks in Covent Garden one evening.Food was very good but not a massive choice, wish they had the sandwiches option for dinner instead of just lunch. It's a tad overpriced but the portion sizes are excellent. I can highly recommend the 'Prison Platter'.Special Features:
- DKGKDined on 20/10/2014Fabulous cocktails and in happy hour, the staff were lovely and very attentive but not overly so. The food is good but not great, a good place to meet friends for a fun night out, but not for the gourmet diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place to feastfoodiemuncherDined on 19/10/2014food is amazing. a little on the pricey side but is well worth it. lovelyySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downjohnnyp11Dined on 18/10/2014Food was gristley and expensive for what it was. Cramped seating,service was OK,but still found others got food before us who ordered 10 minutes after us. Overall,would not eat there again.Special Features:
- Fun affordable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014Joe's Southern Kitchen & Bar is a great place to go with a group of friends for a casual meal with great ambiance, the resturaunt is very vibrant and considering it's location is affordable as well. Service was great also with a good rapport with the waiter.Special Features:
- awesomestevoDined on 17/10/2014Really great food. Really great service. Have already recommended to friends and will be going back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYJojoVIPDined on 15/10/2014GREAT FOOD, TOOK AN AMERICAN FRIEND FOR HER BIRTHDAY, SHE LOVED IT !!!!Special Features:
- raleighreesVIPDined on 11/10/2014good friend chicken bit loud at night but war would you expect on a Saturday night near covent Garden
- A taste of the U.S. South?spiritof64Dined on 11/10/2014My 2nd visit to Joes was for dinner and was a much better experience. The restaurant was very busy and also very noisy but I think that was due in part to our table being under a mezzanine and in the corner. Service was good and fairly fast and our food arrived promptly. Starters were wings and cheese & rice balls all of which went down very nicely. Mains were southern fried catfish and southern fried chicken again 2 nicely done dishes which left us both quite full. Though we had to move tables due to a large party coming in, we were promptly reseated upstairs and didn't ruin what was a very pleasant evening. Good food which brought back good memories of a visit to Texas. Look forward to my next visit despite the noisey surroundings.Special Features:
- Good ValueLiamDined on 10/10/2014Food arrived very quickly and was very nice although the service was not of a great standardSpecial Features:
- huge portions of deliciousnessamericanlondonerDined on 10/10/2014We were sat upstairs overlooking the bar so had a nice view of the place which was full of friends and dates. The food was full of flavour, well executed and the portions were huge. We had a starter of chicken wings with tabasco honey - crispy and juicy. For mains, I had the prison plate (incredible - the butter beans and pulled pork were the highlights) and my friend had the fried chicken (very meaty and juicy) and chips (bit too salty for me). Come hungry! I was full up until 3pm the next day.Special Features:
- Awesome southern experience in UKNOLADined on 8/10/2014Awesome Resturant...I'm from the USA, and this Resturant made me feel like I was home. Great prices, large portions, friendly staff and spacious Resturant. Took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it... ESP their extensive bourbon and whisky selection! I Would def recommend the ribs and Mac & chesse here!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Jo'sAngela01Dined on 7/10/2014I used to regularly use this venue when it was Nava Jo's so was looking forward to going here. Unfortunately really dissapointed. We were looking at the menu and the waitress seemed to be rushing us with our orders. When we did place the order the food turned up in minutes and it was really disappointing dry and flavourless. I left most of my dinner and the waitress didn't even ask if there was a problem. I won't be returning to this restuarant again.
- Good food and good atmosphereZeezeeDined on 3/10/2014I came here with a friend on a Friday evening after work. There was a good atmosphere in the restaurant and there is a good selection on the menu. The food is tasty and portion sizes generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.