Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
34 King Street
London, WC2E 8JDNeighbourhood:
SouthernPrice: £25 and under
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.joessouthernkitchen.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072404008x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:45pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Soul food, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Mark Jeevaratnam
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
A word from Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar
Bringing you the best in new wave of Deep South cooking. Expect pressure-fried chicken, soft shell crab, as well as mac ‘n’ cheese, devilled ham and cornbread worthy of your Louisiana Mama. Haven’t got one? No fear. With treats such as our signature ‘Beer Can’ Chicken, a tasty roast served on a meat trolley and carved before your eyes, Joe’s is the only Mama you need. Plus, with Marco Piroli heading our cocktail and spirits-focused list, we welcome you to give our Redneck Popper or Mary & the Soldier a try. So, you’ve heard all about it - for great American cuisine, beyond the burger, head down to Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar, your all-American home from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
455 reviews since 22 October 2013
group bookings (196)pre/post theatre (174)fit for foodies (121)special occasions (86)outstanding value (54)child friendly (45)brunch (42)sunday lunch (39)romance (36)business meals (27)good vegetarian options (8)outdoor eating (6)afternoon tea (5)disabled access (3)Show More
- Let downjohnnyp11Dined on 18/10/2014Food was gristley and expensive for what it was. Cramped seating,service was OK,but still found others got food before us who ordered 10 minutes after us. Overall,would not eat there again.Special Features:
- Fun affordable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/10/2014Joe's Southern Kitchen & Bar is a great place to go with a group of friends for a casual meal with great ambiance, the resturaunt is very vibrant and considering it's location is affordable as well. Service was great also with a good rapport with the waiter.Special Features:
- awesomestevoDined on 17/10/2014Really great food. Really great service. Have already recommended to friends and will be going back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYJojoDined on 15/10/2014GREAT FOOD, TOOK AN AMERICAN FRIEND FOR HER BIRTHDAY, SHE LOVED IT !!!!Special Features:
- A taste of the U.S. South?spiritof64Dined on 11/10/2014My 2nd visit to Joes was for dinner and was a much better experience. The restaurant was very busy and also very noisy but I think that was due in part to our table being under a mezzanine and in the corner. Service was good and fairly fast and our food arrived promptly. Starters were wings and cheese & rice balls all of which went down very nicely. Mains were southern fried catfish and southern fried chicken again 2 nicely done dishes which left us both quite full. Though we had to move tables due to a large party coming in, we were promptly reseated upstairs and didn't ruin what was a very pleasant evening. Good food which brought back good memories of a visit to Texas. Look forward to my next visit despite the noisey surroundings.Special Features:
- Good ValueLiamDined on 10/10/2014Food arrived very quickly and was very nice although the service was not of a great standardSpecial Features:
- huge portions of deliciousnessamericanlondonerDined on 10/10/2014We were sat upstairs overlooking the bar so had a nice view of the place which was full of friends and dates. The food was full of flavour, well executed and the portions were huge. We had a starter of chicken wings with tabasco honey - crispy and juicy. For mains, I had the prison plate (incredible - the butter beans and pulled pork were the highlights) and my friend had the fried chicken (very meaty and juicy) and chips (bit too salty for me). Come hungry! I was full up until 3pm the next day.Special Features:
- Awesome southern experience in UKNOLADined on 8/10/2014Awesome Resturant...I'm from the USA, and this Resturant made me feel like I was home. Great prices, large portions, friendly staff and spacious Resturant. Took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it... ESP their extensive bourbon and whisky selection! I Would def recommend the ribs and Mac & chesse here!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Jo'sAngela01Dined on 7/10/2014I used to regularly use this venue when it was Nava Jo's so was looking forward to going here. Unfortunately really dissapointed. We were looking at the menu and the waitress seemed to be rushing us with our orders. When we did place the order the food turned up in minutes and it was really disappointing dry and flavourless. I left most of my dinner and the waitress didn't even ask if there was a problem. I won't be returning to this restuarant again.
- Good food and good atmosphereZeezeeDined on 3/10/2014I came here with a friend on a Friday evening after work. There was a good atmosphere in the restaurant and there is a good selection on the menu. The food is tasty and portion sizes generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nightyumyum76Dined on 3/10/2014Authentic food, great portion size, lots to choose from, yummy cocktails, fab service and good location and atmosphere. Def go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/10/2014Half of the food was good and I'd recommend the fried chicken. The special - a burger with Mac and cheese was pretty horrible. Came tepid and without some advertised toppings. Waitress v apologetic. When I got to eat it the burger itself tasted horrible - really offally and gristley. Mac and cheese was cold and congealed. Couldn't eat more than two bites. Waitress apologised and said she'd speak to the manager about it. Bill came with full charges. I disputed and they gave me half off. Still, it is the worst burger I've ever paid a fiver for. They did bring out birthday cake for my boyfriend though - which I'd pre requested- and on the whole service was good from floor staff if not the manager.
- Fun foodReasonsToLoveLondonDined on 27/9/2014Get your hands dirty (don't worry - they give you refresher towels at every course) and get stuck into the southern fried chicken - it's divine! A couple of our sides weren't as hot as they should have been, but overall it was a great meal, really fun, spicy and yummy and the service was fantastic! Would be terrific fun in a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern hospitality and delights!ShelDined on 20/9/2014Friendly and attentive service despite it being a busy Saturday night. There is an extensive bar available while waiting for your table and drinks ie cocktails are available during the meal. The food was divine, flavoursome and cooked to perfection! The portions were very generous also. I'm looking forward to another visit to sample some more of the delicious menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great atmospherelisa14Dined on 20/9/2014Went to Joe's for a birthday dinner, there were eight of us and the food was great as well as the service. Even though the place was heaving the food was prompt and it all tasted great. They also make an excellent dark and stormy cocktail! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- 10/10!!!foodfoodfoodDined on 20/9/2014Really enjoyed our dining experience at Joe's!! We would highly recommend and definitely go back!! Good food - good drinks - good atmosphere!!Special Features:
- Hot dog!HPattersonDined on 20/9/2014I had lunch here with two friends and we were all impressed with the food. Tasty, plenty of it etc. None of us had a dessert which is odd for us but nothing really took our fancy. I had the hot dog with pulled pork topping, very calorific but worth it :)Special Features:
- Lovely lunch :)studentfoodieDined on 17/9/2014Returned a couple of months later and I'm really happy I did! We did have a 30 minute delay for our starter (the coq'n'balls) but the waiter came over and apologised and struck it from the bill and our mains came very promptly afterwards. We both had the Blue Plate Special which is outstanding value - and the home made lemonade is delicious! My pieces of chicken were quite fiddly to eat but very tasty my friend had a beautiful piece of breast meat. Absolutely loved the home made BBQ sauce and hot sauce - and upon saying we loved it to the waiter he gave us a bottle - great service! Will definitely be going back again and will recommend - maybe in the evening to sample the may different tequilas......Special Features:
- Pretty GoodMullersDined on 16/9/2014Everyone agreed that their food was good. My only criticism with the food would be that the fried potatoes that came with the buttermilk chicken should have been crispy and that the coleslaw was a little too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and cocktailsTerrytenDined on 13/9/2014Great food from a good basic chicken and rib type card Nice for many different events including just having fried chicken with mash and gravy because you are hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe's southern kitcheniansDined on 12/9/2014Only real issue with this place is the cost, a family of 4 evening mean shouldn't cost nearly £200. The food did not justify the price
- Excellent fried chickenFeedmeeeDined on 9/9/2014We decided to go to Joe's because we fancied "posh" fried chicken... and that's exactly what we got. The fried chicken is battered in buttermilk (apparently it's healthier??) and was delicious. We received three generous pieces of free-range chicken and a side dish for £12.95. We also had starters, I ordered the soft shell crab which was very tasty. The restaurant wasn't too packed either - a nice change from other places in the area serving similar food. I would dine here again, particularly if I'm around early enough to catch their happy hour: £4 cocktails from 4pm to 6:30pm Monday to Fridays!Special Features:
- rjac12Dined on 5/9/2014Great food, fun menu and excellent cocktails. Would eat here again.
- DisappointingSapphiregirl1Dined on 3/9/2014I love the style and interior of this place but the food wasn't good at all the service was unbelievably slow. Maybe they were understaffed that night. Fried chicken was dry, popcorn shrimp was way a too overcooked and chewy.
- Lovin Joes :)Dineingdonnellys2Dined on 31/8/2014Service brilliant,very helpful,happy staff.Food portions more than ample.My husband and I travel down to London from Coventry and have eaten in many establishments,covering high end to market street food and this definitely has to be one of my favourite places to eat.I had the beer can chicken whilst my husband had southern fried,both being absoulutely gorgeous.the staff have to get a mention as I have never come across such cheery people,and not in the false, contrived manner that so many places seem to be installing in their teams,they were naturally friendly,so well done Joes for you seem to have got everything right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Friendly ServiceChallibumDined on 30/8/2014As soon as you walk in, you can see that there has been a lot of effort put in to get the place looking good! The service is friendly, fun yet helpful and quick. The food is delicious, I've been twice and the "Beer Can Chicken" is beautiful. Great to share between 2 or 3 people, with the waitress chopping up the whole bird while you watch at your table. Large drinks menu, with some great cocktails, however these are slightly expensive, but this is London! Overall a great experience, and will be going again.Special Features:
- Great Southern American FoodCamilleDined on 30/8/2014We went last Saturday and we had a very nice experience. The Beef Rib was just amazing - the meat was tender and we almost did not need knife. The Mac n cheese is a must try as there is spinach inside. For finish we had Oreo's ice cake which was just a great touch to finish this big meal. The ambience also was great and fit our group.Special Features:
- Brilliant VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/8/2014Really good atmosphere, with brilliant food and an extensive amount of delicious (yet expensive) cocktails. Service was attentive. Only downside is the expensive cocktails, food prices weren't too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingAmanDined on 29/8/2014Great, lively place. Great starters, leave you feeling too full for the mains!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discretionary Service Charge?Mark4Dined on 29/8/2014My wife and I visited Joes for a pre-theatre meal last Friday, 5:30pm. We had a selection of starters and the be snacks, all great. For mains we had the special burger, it was superb. In fact possibly the best I have eaten this side of NYC. The cocktails from the happy hour menu; Amaretto Sours and Margaritas, absolutely fine. Total bill, remember for a pre-fix alternative, £67. The restaurant quite ordinarily makes it known that a Discretionary Service Charge of 12.5% will be added. Ordinarily, when presented with the chip and pin device one is able to select Yes or No for this. Not in Joes. The manager was required to remove it from the bill, so that we might leave a cash tip. Embarrassing at least misleading at worst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty FooddcDCDined on 28/8/20142nd time here with friends - good location, good food and service all at reasonable prices - cocktails are great. only negative was we were upstairs and it was so dark we couldn't read the main menu so we went for the specials sheet that was more legibleSpecial Features:
- The best fried chicken.foodie1995Dined on 26/8/2014At this restaurant we found just what we were looking for- hot, sizzling and crunch tender friend chicken. The sides were great too - especially the chips. Good portions. Great value considering the location and venue itself. Added to my list of favourite restaurants!Special Features:
- Chilled dining experienceNatmullsDined on 26/8/2014I went to joe's with a friend for dinner. Food was really tasty and service was good - not in your face. Ambience was really relaxed, good drinks menu and interesting decor. Would recommend for relaxed date or dinner with friends. Good value with the taste card (241 on food).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good cocktail, food underwhelmingMelBDined on 23/8/2014I was looking forward to lunch here on a Saturday afternoon. The staff are pleasant and welcoming, the atmosphere is relaxed. The cocktails were good, lots of choice. I was expecting amazing fried chicken, unfortunately it was just ok and the food could've been hotter. One dish was sent back and returned, but no real improvement. I would still go back for a cocktail and maybe bar snacks.
- MediocreJonDDined on 22/8/2014Given it was a busy Friday night, but when spending £80-£100 for two people I do expect more, as soon as we sat down and given munue's we were asked what we wanted to drink (which is fine) but if we were also ready to order food, the starter of slow roasted beef chili flowerpot had two or three small tiny pieces of beef in it, the rest was liquid, then for main I had steak from the specials board which was nice but the mushroom sauce tasted burned and was black, the 'skinny fries' although a good concept were like crisps so difficult to eat with an knife and fork. Used to go here a lot when it was Navajo Joe's and it was great, unfortunately its no longer in the same league and was disappointing.Special Features:
- A new addictionCookwitchDined on 22/8/2014Very friendly place, I feel totally comfortable eating solo here. The food is always good, most times outstandings and the staff look after you really well. No glares if you just want tap water! Solo dining, team lunches- brilliant. The evening shift can be loud, yes, but not horribly so. But who wants to talk when you could be eating luscious fried chicken or Long Horn ribeye?! From a decent Caesar salad, to beans, to pulled pork, ribeyes, beef short ribs and the Coq of the Day, they win. Would definitely recommend, my team all want to go back again. And again. And AGAIN.Special Features:
- Good value, nice foodyumfoodVIPDined on 20/8/2014I used to love this place when it was Navajo Joe's, the interior layout is the same. We were originally placed on a table right by the door, which we didn't want and had to make a bit of a fuss to be placed on the mezzanine even thought the restaurant was half empty when we went in. The food is good value, they were helpful accommodating gluten free. The jalapeño poppers are spicy!!!! drinks were good, the bacon in the burger was all fat, and the mac and cheese was too watery, but over all good. I would recommend and return. The bill was cheaper than I expected it to be, which is always a nice surprise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 13/8/2014If you don't want Southern USA food then don't bother - cos that's what they specialise in here! The food was very good, the portions generous but not over-whelming, the service was suitable (this isn't a silver service restaurant, so I prefer my service with personality and a bit sparky - and the girls were reactive and friendly).Special Features:
- Joe's 18th birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2014We booked a table at Joe's for my son's 18th. I had indicated that it was his 18th in an email to the restaurant however on arrival we were put on a table under a mezzanine floor in a corner which was very dark. The service although we do not like to be rushed was very slow. The drinks including cocktails were fine and the starters were also tasty, however, the main course was very disappointing. We had burgers that did not look too appetising and also we had the Joes Fried Chicken. This was the most disappointing as this consisted of two chicken drumsticks and a wing.i did complain and got a full refund but this was supposed to be an 18 th and this left us feeling a bit flat after having such a great day in London.
- birthdaygj2019Dined on 2/8/2014Had an excellent meal at joes, food was awesome and service good. Can't wait to go back agin :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.