135 Portland Road
London, W11 4LWNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.juliesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 02072298331
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 09:00AM - 11:30AM; Saturday - Sunday: 10:00AM - 11:30AM,
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00PM - 03:30PM; Saturday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 04:00PM,
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 07:00PM - 11:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, British
- Executive Chef: Agostino Esposito
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch
A word from Julies Restaurant
A magnet for over 40 years from the hippie generation and now to the ultra-cool London set. Julie's has been referred to as the rock chick of the restaurant world. Opened in 1969, the decadent originality of this iconic restaurant remains. A maze of glamorous rooms and eclectic furnishings with murals, church pews and pulpits, a honeycomb of small eating areas and alcoves each in a different style including a medieval private banqueting room, you can sink into golden velvet sofa's flanked by rich Indian carvings and stained glass window. The great names from rock and roll, high society and Hollywood have passed through the doors. Originally a builders yard, Julie’s is named after interior designer Julie Hodgess, who conceived both Julie’s Restaurant and Bar in 1969. Owners Tim and Cathy Herring have continued to consult her ever since. Johnny Ekperigin joined the Herrings in the 1970's and has gone on to become Managing Partner of Julie’s and The Portobello Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Julies Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since 25 May 2014
special occasions (19)outdoor eating (16)romance (14)brunch (12)sunday lunch (11)fit for foodies (7)business meals (6)good vegetarian options (6)group bookings (5)child friendly (3)afternoon tea (3)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- OechsnerDined on 14/9/2014Was worth returning to this unusual, neighbourhood restaurant. Chic laid-back. Food was very good, though perhaps not the outstanding feature of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodJuliaDined on 30/8/2014We first visited this restaurant 24 years ago and it's still fabulous! Fantastic food, great table and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Picturesque luxurykitkatVIPDined on 26/7/2014Great local gem on the prettiest corner of holland park. Limited but delicious brunch menu, good variety of lunch offerings, lobster risotto, variety of salads, as well as heavier more comforting options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnermaxitoDined on 19/7/2014I booked a table for our anniversary dinner on Saturday. The restaurant was busy but not full, and we got a table by the window watching over the other diners sitting outside. The food was delivered promptly and it was of very good quality. We had the Walnuts and Roquefort salad and the Asparagus and eggs as a starteer and the lobster spaghetti as a main. The half bottle of wine Montagny 1er cru was very good value for money. The service was good. Overall a great evening dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed enjoyable eveningSterlingDined on 2/7/2014Met up with god friend who had never been. Julie's is always an easy and pleasant experience. The location is perfect and it works whether it's a catchup with a girlfriend, a couple, group of friends etc. Usually tend to order the steak - nice and juicy, cooked just how I like it. And the restaurant was able to seat us exactly where I usually sit. The staff were very friendly and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceAvoidDined on 21/6/2014We went for my sisters birthday supper - the service from start to finish was awful. I had to find a waitress to take our order and bring the food at every course and some people had finished their starter and mains when others hadn't received theirs yet. I chose the restaurant and so I feel very embarrassed about the terrible evening. I spoke to the manager and the front of house twice during the evening and they apologised but made little effort to rectify the situation.Special Features:
- A Neibourhood standoutVivalaDDined on 21/6/2014I hadn't heard of Julie's when a friend recommended it to me. I was very pleasantly surprised with the wonderful ambiance, the inviting al fresco dining and the relaxed, beautiful environment. The food was good, not great. I ordered the duck salad as a main and it was a bit over cooked and the skin was too fatty. However, my seared Tuna starter was perfect. I was with someone who used to live above the restaurant in the 70's so I was treated to a tour of the restaurant and the amazing maze of private dining rooms. I would definitely consider having a party here! All in all, Julie's was a lovely dining experience. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishZeFoodieDined on 12/6/2014I ordered the mozzarella and fig salad as a starter and he sea bass as a main and it was perfect! Light yet filling. We ate on the outside terrace which is perfect for a warm day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good; ambience/service less sogoooooonDined on 6/6/2014Booked a table here for my gf and I as we were celebrating an anniversary. When wew arrived for our 8pm sitting there were not many people in the upper part of the restaurant where we had been seated..but within 10mins it was pretty full...though not to an uncomfortable level. I had the duck/chicken liver pate followed by the calves liver with bacon and olive mash. The food was absiolutely delicious...no qualms with that. My gf and I were then going to order a dessert and an Irish coffee each...but our waitress took a long time to return after we finished our mains...so we decided to forego this option. Overall, I enjoyed the experience...the food really was nice...but for what i paid for...I was hoping for better ambienceSpecial Features:
- A nice neighborhood placemotownDined on 26/4/2014Jule's is always pleasant. The food was good, although they had an event going on the night we were there and the service wasn't great.Special Features:
- A unique experiencebourkelDined on 17/4/2014I have been eating and drinking at Julies since 1970 and it is still as beautiful and stimulating as ever. I have had only happy experiences. The décor is unique, the food is now extremely good (it went through a bad period a few years ago) and the service is charming and competent. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. There is nowhere remotely like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatly disappointedKTLondonDined on 22/3/2014I had heard many fine things about this restaurant over the years and I was totally disappointed by the ambiance and the quality of the food. My girlfriend and I were seated at the top of the stairs where we were engulfed with the smell of frying fish from the kitchen. By the end of the evening my clothes and hair smelled as if I had been in a chip shop all night. Our first course arrived unnaturally quickly as if it had been waiting rather than freshly prepared. My main course was the fish which at GBP 24 was not cheap but which had been overcooked. Our waitress was very pleasant but the overall ambience was shabby and not what I expected.
- First time visit and wouldBucksVIPDined on 13/3/2014First time visit and would agree wih the reviews, food was good but a little overpriced. Service slow but fortunately we were not in a hurry. Lovely restaurant in a lovely location but a bit off our usual track. Will go again. Janice Whicker
- A certain "Je ne sais quoi."BoomerangVIPDined on 12/2/2014We go to Julie's quite often and it has a certain magic that never seems to wane. It is always special in that it engenders s certain intimacy and atmosphere that is almost endearing. The menu always has something for everyone and the food is always beautifully crafted. The wine list is really well thought out and makes no attempt to intimidate your wallet. It is Heaven in winter and Paradise in Summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Julies LunchLoveLondonLunchVIPDined on 16/12/2013We were seated upstairs this time which worked well as it was lovely & cosy. Good food & nice cocktails as always. Service of a high standard too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, great ambienceTCCHVIPDined on 23/11/2013Excellent ambience and unique style. Food good but could be a bit better executed. Good barSpecial Features:
- Bookings are not confirmedeklondonDined on 1/11/2013Warning: an email from Toptable saying you are confirmed at this place apparently does NOT mean your booking is confirmed. The hostess made it very awkward for us by telling us that nothing is confirmed unless we received an email from her. We insisted that is not the way Toptable works, and also questioned how on earth we were meant to know that. The worst part was that they actually had tables, as pointed out by the people waiting behind us, but the hostess treated us like we were tramps from the street. The manager was able to accommodate us finally, but she was not at all apologetic about it and treated us as if we'd done something wrong. It made for a really disappointing evening at an upscale place.
- julie'ssaraVIPDined on 30/10/2013i don't think that the lobster spaghetti that i ordered was good enough (there were too many pieces of shell). the tomatoes didn't taste of much. my friend's chicken and leek pie was a bit liquidy, but "very good". the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had dinner here in SaturdayMarFerVIPDined on 26/10/2013Had dinner here in Saturday night. Food and wine were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star ambience, 3 star foodNYviewsDined on 23/10/2013enjoyable meal but the ambience certainly trumps the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightJohnDined on 12/10/2013Service is good and friendly; thinking you go for a French-like restaurant by the looks of the outside, you enter little India in the dining room in the back. Food quality is fine, but I'd expect a lot more for the price paid.
- Lovely foodhelley7Dined on 28/9/2013I thought the food was lovely one of the nicest meals I have had in a long timeSpecial Features:
- Cute place, but very disappointedAaronDined on 25/9/2013Cute place, but very disappointed by the food. Steak was expensive, tiny and the chimmichurri was so average I could have done better chimmichurri. No value for money and disappointing. Cute place for a glass of wine, cute venue. £8 for a side serving of hand cut chips? Crazy
- The following 62 reviews are from the Julies Restaurant reviews archive.
- Intimate atmosphere, good locationTopazDined on 21/9/2013I loved the location of this restaurant which looks tempting to enter and does not disappoint when you walk inside. It is both intimate and spacious and the service was attentive. The lighting was perfect. The quality of the food was excellent but not especially plentiful. The clam chowder was delicious and there was a good selection of fish. We did not stay for dessert. In terms of value for money, it is perhaps more suitable for business lunches and dinners or special occasions rather than somewhere you would go to regularly. That said on a Saturday night, the restaurant was full!Special Features:
- Special occasionJacquiDined on 27/8/2013This is my favourite restaurant in west London - it is expensive, but such a beautiful interior and ambience, always incredible service and food. It's my "special occasion" restaurant !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting decorFoodieDined on 17/8/2013Intimate rooms gives Julies a fascinating setting for a private and romantic meal. Good fish pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer nights need restaurantsEllyDined on 25/7/2013Summer nights need restaurants like Julie's - a great lazy mediterranean vibe but very definitely English. The food is good without being great or fussy. The service is attentive but unobtrusive, especially welcome when your occasion is kind of romantic! We had a great night, and Julie's helped make it so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reassuringly expensiveWh1tey23VIPDined on 19/7/2013Charming location and excellent food. Its not cheap but well worth it all the same.Special Features:
- Relaxing lunch at JuliesLoveLondonLunchVIPDined on 20/6/2013The weather wasn't great but we sat by the open window and enjoyed the outside atmosphere without the risk of getting wet. Lovely atmosphere on a pedestrianised street. I ordered red mullet which I loved and a nice cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to Julies, can'thay4dineDined on 18/6/2013First visit to Julies, can't wait to return. Very enjoyable experience, service & food cannot be faulted.Special Features:
- Losing its spark?AlexMccabeDined on 19/4/2013I've long been a fan of Julies. But a little disappointed with its recent direction. Staff all seem to be young and foreign, a little lacking in personality. Food didn't provide any wow factor this time (maybe we picked wrong dish) and price of £220 for meal for two with 2 bottles of Chablis seems steep. I'm keeping an open mind about a former great, but won't be rushing back tbh.
- ConsiderationposhcockneyDined on 10/3/2013My mother and I had lunch, and it was great how they put the families with children downstairs, and those with no children upstairs. This gave the feel to the place a lot more relaxed. The service was good, food nice, and would go back. Avery nice afternoon was had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice bar and restaurant. WeKiki32Dined on 9/3/2013Nice bar and restaurant. We went on a Saturday night and it was vibrant but not fully packed. The food was really good. The wines were not to special, we went for the Julie's special but both the red as the white variant weren't too good. Would recommend to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningLBReviewerDined on 9/3/2013Great atmosphere, good food, a lovely place for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no other champagne ratheroz1973Dined on 14/2/2013no other champagne rather than house champagne 45 minute waiting before having a glass of water the lobster risotto had not taste and had the consistency of mash potetoes should i continue?Special Features:
- Had been here previously forFoodieDined on 19/1/2013Had been here previously for a drink. This time I brought a friend for her bday. The food was nice but nothing extraordinary. The prices were very high. The dessert menu was unexciting so we skipped. A little disappointed especially given the big bill.
- Mixed bunchgabsNHVIPDined on 14/12/2012Not sure how review - bar & barman were great, ambience was amazing as usual, wine choice and advise absolutely lovely, the menu looks nice and what arrived was mainly lovely: but we only got 3 out of four starters and then only 3 out of four mains with one other main overdone and sent back. Came again, overdone again. Manager tried to make up for ll of it and was very fair, but it was such a shame as the one thing you really want from a dinner out with friends is eat together, and that didn't work. The food that came was delicious though. So will try again, bit wary though.Special Features:
- julies revisitedwineboorDined on 19/11/2012This restaurant has been going successfully since 1969-no wonder there is not much reason to change! We had not been there for maybe 10 years, and ir was almost the same as then. The food is surprisingly good but the prices are slightly toppy- £20 for a main course with veggies and desserts £ 8.50. There is better value to be had elsewhere; however like an old slipper it feels very comfortable and based in the middle of what is now very expensive holland park, i don't suppose the locals worry about paying slightly over the odds.Special Features:
- Evening at JuliesTop2DinerVIPDined on 6/11/2012A very enjoyable evening with friends.Food and Ambience was good but felt that price in the end at the top end for what we had.Good place for a one off special evening.Friendly service and relaxed.Special Features:
- Booked table for a SaturdayAnnaDined on 3/11/2012Booked table for a Saturday night - dreadful experience from the get-go. We walked in & were ignored at the coat area - clearly there were far more important people to see to - we were almost elbowed out of the way. Then, 'pointed' to the bar - no-one serving ? I asked to be shown to our table hoping that we might get a drink and waited ... & shown eventually to our table walking past a drunk or two (?!) to a table right out of the way with lighting that an owl would have trouble seeing in. Eventually we were asked for our order...the food dreadful, (pub food), this, after waiting almost an hour between starter and mains, amongst rugby singing which went on and on - don't you even care about your guests? An utter disappointment.