3 St Peters Square
Leeds, LS9 8AHNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kendellsbistro.co.uk/
- Phone: 01132436553
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Patron Steven Kendell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Kendell's Bistro
Kendell's Bistro is a casual Informal place to dine with the main focus on quality of food, wine and service within a French bistro atmosphere. It’s relaxed and informal - no waiters topping up wine glasses after every sip or sneaking up behind you with a six foot pepper mill. Cloth napkins but not starched, blackboard menus and open plan kitchen, intimate cosy candles flickering, friendly without pretence. In fact we are so french we don't charge for bread and we don't have a service charge!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kendell's Bistro - Best restaurants in Leeds ›
Kendell's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
412 reviews since 26 October 2013
special occasions (310)romance (280)pre/post theatre (237)fit for foodies (227)outstanding value (93)group bookings (77)business meals (60)good vegetarian options (44)disabled access (14)sunday lunch (12)afternoon tea (9)brunch (9)child friendly (6)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Wonderful MealLesleybDined on 17/10/2014We enjoyed a great night at Kendells from the minute we arrived to be greeted by name to the minute we left having paid the very reasonable bill! The food was excellent in every respect and the atmosphere was great too. We can't recommend it highly enough and have already booked our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special occasionsbrewhexeDined on 17/10/2014I had booked this restaurant for my daughters 21st birthday, and let them know this. We were greeted at the door with a 'happy Birthday!', then shown to a lovely table. Luckily we were right next to the menus on the wall but I suspect the people sitting further away would struggle to read them. The menu was very comprehensive, and the early bird deal was excellent value as it included wine. Endless free bread and some lovely food made this a very good place for our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than everAMCMDined on 17/10/2014We first visited Kendell's 1 year ago and our return trip did not disappoint. We booked our table for 5.30 (pre-show) as we did last year. The main difference this time was that the restaurant was busier more quickly and so the whole ambience of the place, with the music and chatter was really lovely. The food, as ever, was absolutely gorgeous. We ordered from the fixed price menu and were not disappointed - the beef was so scrummy and melted in our mouths, the creme brulee was the best my partner has ever tasted and the wine was gorgeous (if a little pricey!). A real treat for us though. They really know their stuff. It's a gem of a place!Special Features:
- Loved it!TillyDined on 16/10/2014First time at Kendalls but not the last! Loved the place, atmosphere and the food was amazing. Got given free champagne and given the best table in the house as celebrating wedding anniversary and birthday which was a nice touch. Only gripe the a la carte is pricey but the set menu great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in comfortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014This restaurant is a real pleasure to eat in. Loads of choice to suit all tastes and budgets. You can dress up or down and feel comfortable and welcomed either way. Great for a special occasion or a midweek supper. Love it!Special Features:
- Great EveningTattyDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went with my son and his girifriend and all had great meals. Love the place, it was full and buzzing.Special Features:
- Introducing friendsFussyeaterDined on 10/10/2014We brought friends to eat before the theatre and enjoyed good food, good wine and good service. The staff ensured we were out in good time to get to the theatre and the experience added to an excellent evening out.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousAmhkjDined on 8/10/2014Very welcoming and comfortable. Noticeable that all staff were smiling. Really enjoyed whole evening.Special Features:
- DaveDined on 8/10/2014My partner and I was recommended this restaurant, and what a brilliant recommendation it was. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was gorgeous and well presented. We will definately be visiting this restaurant again.Special Features:
- First ClassMongooseDined on 8/10/2014For a joint birthday celebration this couldn't be bettered, from the warm greeting at the door to the complimentary glasses of Prosecco, the excellent food and first rate service culminating in the complimentary Petite Fours it was a most a memorable occassion. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gourmet experiencegreedygutsDined on 8/10/2014I visited Kendells on 8th October & had their three course plus a half bottle of wine tea time menu. I was truly fantastic value for money. The food was fabulous, the atmosphere enchanting & the staff all very helpful & friendly. I cannot wait to return to Leeds so that I can visit again. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- SublimeDanielDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic food in a great atmosphere. The tea time menu is very good value and includes a very appetising selection of dishes and drinkable house wine. Returned the next evening to try Loup de Mer from the main a la carte. This was more expensive but beautifully cooked and delicious - well worth the money. The waiting personnel are a great team and we were very well looked after. I would highly recommend Kendall's to friends and colleagues. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitluvgoodfoodDined on 7/10/2014We went to Kendells on the recommendation of friends and were not disappointed. We went with two friends and we all decided to try the Early Bird Menu that is available till 8pm on week nights. We all chose the 3 course menu with 1/2 bottle of wine plenty of choice and the wine was good for a house wine. All the staff were very attentive and friendly. Have recommended Kendells to family and friends. Definately a good find. Will be revisiting soonSpecial Features:
- Great meal!fabfoodDined on 4/10/2014We visited Kendell's Bistro after finding it on the internet when planning our anniversary weekend trip to Leeds. We were not disappointed with a fantastic evening. On our arrival the owner (Mrs Kendall) remembered it was our wedding anniversary and sat us at a lovely table and brought over two glasses of fizz! The meal was fantastic and the service great. It was topped off by an amazing cafe gourmand and petit four! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- ExcellentlovenicefoodDined on 2/10/2014Friendly staff, amazing food in a lovely warm cosy atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSooziJDined on 30/9/2014As our visit was a very belated Mother's Day dinner I was looking forward to it immensely. Service was excellent from our arrival and the food was lovely. There was no rush between courses. It was my first visit, although not my sons and would recommend highly. So much so, I have already booked for New Year although I am sure I will return before thenSpecial Features:
- A little gem!WinequeenDined on 27/9/2014Never heard of this restaurant until it was recommended by a friend. Amazing food, fantastic staff and a great atmosphere. Will definitely be top of my list next time we want to eat in Leeds. Would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Great food as alwayschooacowDined on 27/9/2014Husband and I went to Kendall's for a romantic night out. We found it to be an overall fantastic experience, great menu and excellent atmosphere. You could see lots of happy diners around.Special Features:
- Fabulous as everLuvgoodfoodDined on 27/9/2014This was our 6th visit to Kendellsbistro. We have gone with friends, as a couple and in a large group of 16, each and every time the food and service is excellent. The early bird menu is amazing value for money, but there again the whole menu is amazing😊. Will be visiting again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014As we visited Kendells for my wifes birthday I requested a nice quiet table when I booked. We were greated witha "happy birthday" and a glass of proscecco - a lovely touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!GudfoodDined on 26/9/2014We are never disappointed - the staff are very friendly whilst being efficient, the menu choices are huge and the food has always been excellent in our experience. A fabulous place to take friends and relatives for a treat!Special Features:
- Probably the best venue in Leeds!GabbyDined on 26/9/2014Great surroundings, Great Staff, Great Food, Great value for money, need I say more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!steviemarksDined on 25/9/2014Visited for our first wedding anniversary - wonderful welcome on arrival and fantastic service throughout.The menu offers everything you would expect from a french bistro, and more!! We will definitely be visiting this place again and would recommend to anyone that they try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience at Kendell'sMarcelDined on 24/9/2014I atended the restaurant for the second time last week witha friend . My own meal was very much up to standard. however my friend was not satisfied with the quality of the steak . when it came to paying the bill he mentioned this. the waiter immediately went to see the chef and returned offering an apology and refund. I commend the restauarant for this , and will continue to book meals there with friends and family.Special Features:
- Tailored service, amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/9/2014I booked for our anniversary, and they welcomed us as soon as we walked in and saved a corner table. They brought over complimentary glasses of prosecco and later on free desserts with our creme brûlée! We were loving the food and service anyway, but these special touches really made our night special. Food was incredible, portion sizes were perfect, lots of choices on the set menu so we went for this, such fab value at 18 for 2 courses, 22 for 3! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightTonyTeaDined on 20/9/2014Visiting Leeds with friends and we had a great night at Kendell's Bistro , Service, Food , Wine were all great would thoroughly recommend. Fantastic choice for all courses , all four of the party ate different starters and mains and everyone thought that they made the correct choice, lovely.Special Features:
- I thought it would cost more!dajudgeDined on 20/9/2014I've been living in Leeds for about 9 months now so i am still getting to know its food scene. So whenever I would like to dine out i take to the food reveiw sites for advice on where to gorge myself, This led me to kendell's bistro a decision I in no way regret. My home cured gravalax starter was phenomenal and easily one of the best versions of this dish i have ever tried. My onglet steak was cooked perfectly and the roasted bone marrow which accompanied it was devine. My biggest suprise of the evening came after my dessert when i asked for the bill! The price, now im not saying that kendell's is budget dining but for the standard of food and service that we received i would say its fantastic value indeed.Special Features:
- Delicious French FoodYorkshiretoeDined on 20/9/2014Classic French bistro food, and a good varied menu (more than one option available for vegetarians). Meat and fish is beautifully cooked. The starters and main courses are excellent, however on this visit the puddings were not up to quite the same standard and were a little disappointing. We also felt that some of the staff could do with some extra training, especially on serving drinks. We ordered a dessert wine to go with our puddings but it didn't arrive until after we'd finished them. That's a pity for the restaurant as if they'd arrived on time we might have also ordered an armagnac or a coffee afterwards but as it was we didn't want to wait around any longer.Special Features:
- Loved it!NtakDined on 20/9/2014Took my parents here for their birthday the food was brilliant ant the service was really good too! Will defo returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findeasyeatingDined on 19/9/2014This has to be the best restaurant i have eaten in in a very longtime.From stepping through the door to struggling out after a fabulous meal what more can i say.Maybe abkt out the way but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Salmon Waitressluvfud2k9Dined on 19/9/2014Unfortunately when myself and a group of friends came to visit on Friday 19th, the high standards of Kendell's had most definitely dropped. The waitresses didn't care that we waited 25 minutes before someone took our order nor that the food was not cooked. I am regular visitor and expect the same service every single time, however when we told the waitress the salmon was not cooked she looked at us in utter disgust as if we were a little piece of mud on the ground. We did not make a fuss, only wanted our food to be cooked! I understand that yes she is only the waitress and it is not her fault that it was not cooked however she could've had the common courtesy to at least apologise and seem happy to help sort it for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/9/2014Celebrated Wedding Anniversary - treated to a complementary glass of bubbly & petit fours which was a nice touch. Wide variety of choice from both early diner & al a carte menus. We ate from the early diner menu which was excellent - the French Onion soup was amazing - a meal in itself! Salmon Encroute delicious. This was not my first visit & will certainly not be my last.Special Features:
- Excellent food again!GaryMLeedsDined on 13/9/2014This was our second visit, and the food and service was just as good as our first visit. The menu is very varied with an extensive choice, I'd recommend going for something you wouldn't normally choose as the food is fantastic.Special Features:
- Good foodEnjoydiningout72Dined on 13/9/2014Fantastic food menus on big blackboards a bit hard to read though and portions sizes a bit on the small side if you have a good appetite other than that a fantastic dining experience highly recommend a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Had early bird menu food great - service lovely and our friends were very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendells bistroMarcelBDined on 12/9/2014Great food and atmosphere, with friendly waiters to boot. Would go time and time again as we enjoyed it that much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendells bistroBibbyDined on 12/9/2014First time at Kendells Bistro & it lived up yo the previous reviews. It started with a warm friendly welcome, the food options were great as was the food & service. The atmosphere was ambient & relaxed in short a lovely evening. & will be returning again. & again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous - as ever!JulesDined on 12/9/2014Have dined at Kendell's several times in the later evening but this was the first time I had gone for the pre-theatre early bird menu. The food was of the same usual high standards - which I was thrilled about as I had my mother-in-law with me and did not want to disappoint her as I had told her that the food was delicious. Service and atmosphere was the same as it is later in the evening - busy but chilled - and even though we had an early release on the table we really didn't feel as if we were being rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentbobarooDined on 11/9/2014This was our 3rd visit to Kendell's. It was my wife's birthday and they brought us a free glass of champagne. The service was only marked down as the waiter forgot to bring our water otherwise it was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night treatMynameiskdeeDined on 6/9/2014We dined at Kendells on Saturday night. It was busy for the 7pm meal deal, but the ambience was lovely, candle-lit and welcoming. I had the escargot, good but not as flavoursome as I'd hoped, and the beef bougignon, which was very good. Tender meat, rich flavour and lots of mash. My husband had boudin noire, which was tasty, would have been better with an egg though, and the ribeye, which was good but a bit tough despite asking for it medium rare. The miscast went down very well too! The temperature was a little on the high side - perhaps the result of the candles? But if they can fix this it would be much more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.