3 St Peters Square
Leeds, LS9 8AHNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kendellsbistro.co.uk/
- Phone: 01132436553
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Patron Steven Kendell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Kendell's Bistro
Kendell's Bistro is a casual Informal place to dine with the main focus on quality of food, wine and service within a French bistro atmosphere. It’s relaxed and informal - no waiters topping up wine glasses after every sip or sneaking up behind you with a six foot pepper mill. Cloth napkins but not starched, blackboard menus and open plan kitchen, intimate cosy candles flickering, friendly without pretence. In fact we are so french we don't charge for bread and we don't have a service charge!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Kendell's Bistro - Best restaurants in Leeds ›
Kendell's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
403 reviews since 2 June 2014
special occasions (301)romance (268)pre/post theatre (238)fit for foodies (213)outstanding value (87)group bookings (80)business meals (58)good vegetarian options (43)disabled access (15)sunday lunch (14)afternoon tea (10)brunch (8)child friendly (4)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014As we visited Kendells for my wifes birthday I requested a nice quiet table when I booked. We were greated witha "happy birthday" and a glass of proscecco - a lovely touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably the best venue in Leeds!GabbyDined on 26/9/2014Great surroundings, Great Staff, Great Food, Great value for money, need I say more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!steviemarksDined on 25/9/2014Visited for our first wedding anniversary - wonderful welcome on arrival and fantastic service throughout.The menu offers everything you would expect from a french bistro, and more!! We will definitely be visiting this place again and would recommend to anyone that they try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience at Kendell'sMarcelDined on 24/9/2014I atended the restaurant for the second time last week witha friend . My own meal was very much up to standard. however my friend was not satisfied with the quality of the steak . when it came to paying the bill he mentioned this. the waiter immediately went to see the chef and returned offering an apology and refund. I commend the restauarant for this , and will continue to book meals there with friends and family.Special Features:
- Tailored service, amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/9/2014I booked for our anniversary, and they welcomed us as soon as we walked in and saved a corner table. They brought over complimentary glasses of prosecco and later on free desserts with our creme brûlée! We were loving the food and service anyway, but these special touches really made our night special. Food was incredible, portion sizes were perfect, lots of choices on the set menu so we went for this, such fab value at 18 for 2 courses, 22 for 3! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightTonyTeaDined on 20/9/2014Visiting Leeds with friends and we had a great night at Kendell's Bistro , Service, Food , Wine were all great would thoroughly recommend. Fantastic choice for all courses , all four of the party ate different starters and mains and everyone thought that they made the correct choice, lovely.Special Features:
- I thought it would cost more!dajudgeDined on 20/9/2014I've been living in Leeds for about 9 months now so i am still getting to know its food scene. So whenever I would like to dine out i take to the food reveiw sites for advice on where to gorge myself, This led me to kendell's bistro a decision I in no way regret. My home cured gravalax starter was phenomenal and easily one of the best versions of this dish i have ever tried. My onglet steak was cooked perfectly and the roasted bone marrow which accompanied it was devine. My biggest suprise of the evening came after my dessert when i asked for the bill! The price, now im not saying that kendell's is budget dining but for the standard of food and service that we received i would say its fantastic value indeed.Special Features:
- Delicious French FoodYorkshiretoeDined on 20/9/2014Classic French bistro food, and a good varied menu (more than one option available for vegetarians). Meat and fish is beautifully cooked. The starters and main courses are excellent, however on this visit the puddings were not up to quite the same standard and were a little disappointing. We also felt that some of the staff could do with some extra training, especially on serving drinks. We ordered a dessert wine to go with our puddings but it didn't arrive until after we'd finished them. That's a pity for the restaurant as if they'd arrived on time we might have also ordered an armagnac or a coffee afterwards but as it was we didn't want to wait around any longer.Special Features:
- Loved it!NtakDined on 20/9/2014Took my parents here for their birthday the food was brilliant ant the service was really good too! Will defo returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findeasyeatingDined on 19/9/2014This has to be the best restaurant i have eaten in in a very longtime.From stepping through the door to struggling out after a fabulous meal what more can i say.Maybe abkt out the way but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Salmon Waitressluvfud2k9Dined on 19/9/2014Unfortunately when myself and a group of friends came to visit on Friday 19th, the high standards of Kendell's had most definitely dropped. The waitresses didn't care that we waited 25 minutes before someone took our order nor that the food was not cooked. I am regular visitor and expect the same service every single time, however when we told the waitress the salmon was not cooked she looked at us in utter disgust as if we were a little piece of mud on the ground. We did not make a fuss, only wanted our food to be cooked! I understand that yes she is only the waitress and it is not her fault that it was not cooked however she could've had the common courtesy to at least apologise and seem happy to help sort it for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/9/2014Celebrated Wedding Anniversary - treated to a complementary glass of bubbly & petit fours which was a nice touch. Wide variety of choice from both early diner & al a carte menus. We ate from the early diner menu which was excellent - the French Onion soup was amazing - a meal in itself! Salmon Encroute delicious. This was not my first visit & will certainly not be my last.Special Features:
- Excellent food again!GaryMLeedsDined on 13/9/2014This was our second visit, and the food and service was just as good as our first visit. The menu is very varied with an extensive choice, I'd recommend going for something you wouldn't normally choose as the food is fantastic.Special Features:
- Good foodEnjoydiningout72Dined on 13/9/2014Fantastic food menus on big blackboards a bit hard to read though and portions sizes a bit on the small side if you have a good appetite other than that a fantastic dining experience highly recommend a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Had early bird menu food great - service lovely and our friends were very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendells bistroMarcelBDined on 12/9/2014Great food and atmosphere, with friendly waiters to boot. Would go time and time again as we enjoyed it that much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendells bistroBibbyDined on 12/9/2014First time at Kendells Bistro & it lived up yo the previous reviews. It started with a warm friendly welcome, the food options were great as was the food & service. The atmosphere was ambient & relaxed in short a lovely evening. & will be returning again. & again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous - as ever!JulesDined on 12/9/2014Have dined at Kendell's several times in the later evening but this was the first time I had gone for the pre-theatre early bird menu. The food was of the same usual high standards - which I was thrilled about as I had my mother-in-law with me and did not want to disappoint her as I had told her that the food was delicious. Service and atmosphere was the same as it is later in the evening - busy but chilled - and even though we had an early release on the table we really didn't feel as if we were being rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentbobarooDined on 11/9/2014This was our 3rd visit to Kendell's. It was my wife's birthday and they brought us a free glass of champagne. The service was only marked down as the waiter forgot to bring our water otherwise it was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night treatMynameiskdeeDined on 6/9/2014We dined at Kendells on Saturday night. It was busy for the 7pm meal deal, but the ambience was lovely, candle-lit and welcoming. I had the escargot, good but not as flavoursome as I'd hoped, and the beef bougignon, which was very good. Tender meat, rich flavour and lots of mash. My husband had boudin noire, which was tasty, would have been better with an egg though, and the ribeye, which was good but a bit tough despite asking for it medium rare. The miscast went down very well too! The temperature was a little on the high side - perhaps the result of the candles? But if they can fix this it would be much more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth a visit!Jools123Dined on 5/9/2014Lovely restaurant with a lovely atmosphere! Staff are attentive and go that extra mile! The food was delicious - will definitely be returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in everything they do!DininginstyleDined on 5/9/2014I absolutely love Kendall's, I've never had a bad meal and all the food is so flavoursome and unique. Service and ambience are fantastic. I always look forward to the next time. I always recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Our first visit to this very French Restaurant, but certainly not the last. An excellent find!Special Features:
- The wife was very happy!LeedsRusDined on 4/9/2014I booked a table for my wife's birthday and the ambience, food & value was the best I have had in Leeds!!!!!!!Special Features:
- First visit.AdeW31Dined on 30/8/2014Reccomnended by friends and thoroughly enjoyed it. Took my wife for her birthday. Free glass of wine each, as it was her birthday. Early bird menu offered to us which included 1/2 carafe each of house wine with the 3 course option. Excellent value for money. Staff were excellent overall experience was excellent. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoshDined on 30/8/2014Excellent meal and service.only problem, been twice and each time bill has been wrong. Other tables items on our bill!
- Best restaurant in LeedsSteveDined on 29/8/2014The food here is simply superb with a wonderfully bohemian ambience and very reasonable prices. It is always very busy (maybe sometimes a little too busy), so book in advance, but they never disappoint. Cannot recommend Kendell’s enough.Special Features:
- new favourite restaurant!CarolineDined on 29/8/2014From the moment I stepped into Kendall's Bistro I loved it. It is relaxed, intimate and the staff are lovely. The food is second to none. I've already recommended it to lots of people and am seriously considering the Christmas menu. We got a free glass of bubbles as it was my partners birthday (nb don't order any yourself or you'll end up drinking two glasses each like we did!). He also got some free chocolates which they happily put in a doggy back as there was no way we had any room left! Starve uourself before you go to make the most of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014Food is outstanding, however restaurant a little overcrowded with tables. Constantly aware I might elbow the person behind me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent 5*!!LondondinerDined on 22/8/2014This was by far one of the best meals I have had in a long while! The ambience was great, service terrific and the food was divine. I certainly recommend the camembert starter (to share). Unfortunately we were too full for a desert but I shall definitely be returning the next time I'm in Leeds. Was a perfect evening - and I'm usually quite picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very HappyJBlowDined on 20/8/2014Never heard of this restaurant before and was very impressed. The service was good, ambiance and decor was more than suitable and the food was outstanding. Already looking forward to returning for another meal. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Great Anniversary MealJonDebPDined on 20/8/2014We went to Kendell's to celebrate our wedding anniversary and weren't disappointed. I am Coeliac and the staff were happy to ask chef what options i could have on my preferred meals, they also provided GF bread to have before the main meal. As it was a celebration they gave my wife and i a free glass of fizz, this was a good gesture and helped add to the special occasion we were celebrating. The food was outstanding and both our starters and main courses were exceptional. We declined on a dessert, however we were given complimentary mini desserts (again for free) that were GF. In summary a great place, with great food, very good staff with a lovely atmosphere. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/8/2014Nous y avons mangé pour ma fête d'anniversaire. c'était une vraie dégustation à la française. Je le recommanderais sans hésitation, particulièrement pour la qualité des plats, l'ambiance et le service!Special Features:
- Excellent valueConzaDined on 19/8/2014This is an excellent French restaurant. Food was superb, (my wife said the lamb was the best she had ever tasted) The atmosphere is really good - lively and chatty but not overpoweringly noisy. Service was excellent with lovely little touches such as giving my wife a glass of champagne and complimentary petit fours as it was her birthday. Would recommend it highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Propper BistroJohnThacDined on 19/8/2014A lively real bistro that does not trade food and service for ambiience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- kendells 16 AugustluddersDined on 16/8/2014we were given a glass of champagne for my birthday then the waitress offered to take pictures of the menu as they were on a black board and hard to read we were giving plenty of time to choose what we wanted and didn't feel rushed we had fresh warm bread they gave use a canapé with was a nice surprise and tastes really nice we didn't have to wait long I had scallops and my boyfriend had mussels and they both looked lovely and they were really tasty then we didn't have to wait long for the mains I had salmon and he had fish platter and they were both lovely and we were both full and for my birthday they gave me four little desserts with was a nice thing to do they made my birthday extra special and one I won't forgetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticlark86Dined on 16/8/2014Friendly staff great price with tea time deal, lovely foodSpecial Features:
- What a let down, go somewhere elseSwithiesDined on 15/8/2014There were many things at this restaurant that did not match with it's reviews. The restaurant was full, it was extremely stuffy and so warm it was uncomfortable. No fans, no air conditioning and only a little air available as the door was opened. The menu is pricey. The waitress said she didn't know about the wines and so had to point to it on the menu and give her the number. The meals we a little under cooked, a french trait. When the wine come it wasn't the one we had ordered so another short wait and yes it did arrive second time. When we got the bill unfortunately they over charged us for one main meal based on the price on their blackboard. They said that the blackboard was wrong, no apology. An arrogant reply from an average place
- Allo allo..... Fantastique dining !SupavetDined on 15/8/2014I shall say this only once... If you don't eat here, you are missing the best dining in the whole of LeedsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening mealAndrewDined on 15/8/2014We ate on a Friday night. The place was packed and had a real buzz to it. The food was outstanding, we had beef wellington to share for mains and although it was expensive it was amazing. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.