3 St Peters Square
Leeds, LS9 8AHNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kendellsbistro.co.uk/
- Phone: 0113 243 6553
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Patron Steven Kendell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Kendell's Bistro
Kendell's Bistro is a casual Informal place to dine with the main focus on quality of food, wine and service within a French bistro atmosphere. It’s relaxed and informal - no waiters topping up wine glasses after every sip or sneaking up behind you with a six foot pepper mill. Cloth napkins but not starched, blackboard menus and open plan kitchen, intimate cosy candles flickering, friendly without pretence. In fact we are so french we don't charge for bread and we don't have a service charge!Continued
Bookings of 5 or more will need to contact the restaurant directly, either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us on 0113 2436553.
Bookings of 5 or more will need to contact the restaurant directly, either by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 0113 2436553.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kendell's Bistro - Best restaurants in Leeds ›
Kendell's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
419 reviews since 23 November 2013
special occasions (324)romance (289)pre/post theatre (244)fit for foodies (232)outstanding value (97)group bookings (79)business meals (64)good vegetarian options (44)disabled access (14)sunday lunch (12)brunch (9)afternoon tea (8)child friendly (6)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Great food again!YorkshireMattDined on 14/11/2014Good food, served well and with a brilliant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and service - but expensiveGomersalJDined on 14/11/2014The service, despite the restaurant being packed on a Friday night, was excellent and curteous. The French food was as tasty as ever. However at £55 per head for just two courses plus wine, this is at the top end of restaurants in Leeds. The early bird pre-theatre menu is much better value.Special Features:
- Superb relaxed French diningrobertpmorleyDined on 14/11/2014Friday evening is rarely the best time to try out a (new-to-me) restaurant, if one wants to be fair to the restaurant, second only to trying a place out at Christmas! However, Kendells Bistro seems to take everything in its stride and all the staff are just about faultless in providing the right amount of attention and service but maintaining a truly relaxed enjoyable experience. Kendells immediately reminded us of some of our favourite restaurants in Paris, just minus spoken French. Kendells has certainly made my top-10 list of French restaurants, including ones in France! Well done Kendells! At every stage we were asked if we had any special needs or requirements and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. It would hard pick out any particular dishes as everything we tried was at least excellent if not superb and the choices are both varied and numerous. My suggestion for improvement would be that there is a need to post a daily menu on their web page so that this wonderful tasting experience can commence considerably earlier, at home, before venturing out to Kendells to make the final selections - there are blackboards full of dishes to get the saliva glands working overtime. Luckily I was not too far from the blackboards as the eyesight is not as good as it used to be and there is a lot of reading and as a result the appetite is enhanced well before the food arrives. And when it does arrive, it lives up to its description (my mouth is again re-tasting each of those dishes!). The overall atmosphere, service, food and total experience was just perfect and we will undoubtedly be making repeat visits to partake in more enjoyable experiences at Kendells. Thanks to the previous reviewers who took the time and trouble to post their reviews that caught my attention and directed me to Kendells Bistro and thanks, Kendells, for a superb experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceToJoDined on 13/11/2014You're dining experience starts the moment you step into Kendell's Bistro, when you are warmly created and shown to your table. The service is excellent and you feel you are being looked after the whole time. The menu is comprehensive, but we have only chosen from the Teatime menu on our last two visits. We have been happy with our choices and found it to be excellent value. Also the atmosphere of the almost full restaurant added to the pleasant experience. We will definitely go again and have recommended it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I went to Kendells for our 5th year wedding anniversary. We booked in advance, and when we arrived we were asked if we were celebrating anything (we said we were) and after we were seated they brought out a glass of fizzy each. We ordered from the teatime menu, 2 courses each (we split a starter and dessert because we heard that the portions were generous, which they are) and the food was excellent. There was nice ambience and the service was attentive and friendly. It was a perfect amount of food and drink, and when we got our bill we were surprised it only came to £49 (with one glass of wine each, all we needed with the fizzy). Fantastic value for money, great atmosphere and great food. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre theatre brasserie!FrancophileDined on 4/11/2014Warm welcome and a complimentary anniversary drink ahead of a really good French style brasserie dinner. Lovely!Special Features:
- A hidden gemGazyveDined on 1/11/2014Absolutely fantastic. Food was delicious service was amazing best restaurant we have been to in ages. Will definately be going back. It was a treat for a birthday and they certainly spoil you with a glass of bubbly each and a plate with a small arrangement of desserts and a birthday wish written on in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealLittleunDined on 1/11/2014Have been before, food excellent as usual and will return again. Busy bistro but service still excellent. We actually arrived early for our table and was seated straight away despite being busy. Very accommodating.Special Features:
- A little Gem in LeedsCherryUkDined on 1/11/2014We visited with our friends who were celebrating a birthday, couldn't have picked a better place , the food was beautifully cooked, the waiting staff were young friendly knowledgeable and attentive without being overbearing. All in all a thoroughly delightful experience, we will be returningSpecial Features:
- Lovely Place for Dinner!Rolly17Dined on 31/10/2014We had a lovely time and the food was super. Sadly the down side is that it is always so warm, as it has no windows and it can be a little pricey, but overall a nice evening out, the staff were warm and welcoming.!Special Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 30/10/2014This was my third visit to Kendalls. I live in Birmingham but always book a table when I'm in Leeds visiting family. Food is amazing abd great survive. I usually had the fixed price mebu which is amazing value for money. Would recommend to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great food.JiveRachelDined on 30/10/2014Had a delightful pre theatre meal in Kendell's. They very kindly made a great fuss of my daughter whose birthday it was. Free glass of bubbly and a dessert. Will return and recommend.Special Features:
- GoSlowTogetherDined on 29/10/2014Excellent French cooking with seasonal, local ingredients. The range of dishes was impressive. Sorry not to have space for pudding.
- Top food & service at a good priceBirthdayDined on 29/10/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday meal on a recommendation from a friend. We were both thoroughly impressed! The staff were very friendly and very well organised (you don't have an allocated waiter or waitress they just seem to work as a team). The food was quite special without being fussy or over priced. I had the duck leg, and my boyfriend the salmon, and both were absolutely delicious. I can also recommend the puddings! We were pleasantly surprised when the bill arrived, as it wasn't as much as we expected for such good food and service. We are already planning on going back, and probably taking my Mum there for her birthday.Special Features:
- WonderfulSara007Dined on 25/10/2014We had been recommended by friends, so we booked to go for our friends Birthday. Great time was had by all & everyone enjoyed their meal and the atmosphere. Will definately be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of France in LeedsYorkshireLassDined on 25/10/2014Always assured of a warm welcome, very good food and good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very romantic, very niceFoodiefoodieDined on 24/10/2014The place boasts a candle lot atmosphere with great service and even better food. A must have for a first date or an anniversary in my bookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of Paris in LeedsInspiralkevDined on 24/10/2014Formidable` Cest Magnifique - Fabulous atmosphere in this authentic French Bistro, Service absolutely top notch & friendly - Food is fresh and extremely tasty. Thanks again to Kendells for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealLesleybDined on 17/10/2014We enjoyed a great night at Kendells from the minute we arrived to be greeted by name to the minute we left having paid the very reasonable bill! The food was excellent in every respect and the atmosphere was great too. We can't recommend it highly enough and have already booked our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special occasionsbrewhexeDined on 17/10/2014I had booked this restaurant for my daughters 21st birthday, and let them know this. We were greeted at the door with a 'happy Birthday!', then shown to a lovely table. Luckily we were right next to the menus on the wall but I suspect the people sitting further away would struggle to read them. The menu was very comprehensive, and the early bird deal was excellent value as it included wine. Endless free bread and some lovely food made this a very good place for our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than everAMCMDined on 17/10/2014We first visited Kendell's 1 year ago and our return trip did not disappoint. We booked our table for 5.30 (pre-show) as we did last year. The main difference this time was that the restaurant was busier more quickly and so the whole ambience of the place, with the music and chatter was really lovely. The food, as ever, was absolutely gorgeous. We ordered from the fixed price menu and were not disappointed - the beef was so scrummy and melted in our mouths, the creme brulee was the best my partner has ever tasted and the wine was gorgeous (if a little pricey!). A real treat for us though. They really know their stuff. It's a gem of a place!Special Features:
- Loved it!TillyDined on 16/10/2014First time at Kendalls but not the last! Loved the place, atmosphere and the food was amazing. Got given free champagne and given the best table in the house as celebrating wedding anniversary and birthday which was a nice touch. Only gripe the a la carte is pricey but the set menu great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in comfortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014This restaurant is a real pleasure to eat in. Loads of choice to suit all tastes and budgets. You can dress up or down and feel comfortable and welcomed either way. Great for a special occasion or a midweek supper. Love it!Special Features:
- Great EveningTattyDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went with my son and his girifriend and all had great meals. Love the place, it was full and buzzing.Special Features:
- Introducing friendsFussyeaterDined on 10/10/2014We brought friends to eat before the theatre and enjoyed good food, good wine and good service. The staff ensured we were out in good time to get to the theatre and the experience added to an excellent evening out.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousAmhkjDined on 8/10/2014Very welcoming and comfortable. Noticeable that all staff were smiling. Really enjoyed whole evening.Special Features:
- DaveDined on 8/10/2014My partner and I was recommended this restaurant, and what a brilliant recommendation it was. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was gorgeous and well presented. We will definately be visiting this restaurant again.Special Features:
- First ClassMongooseDined on 8/10/2014For a joint birthday celebration this couldn't be bettered, from the warm greeting at the door to the complimentary glasses of Prosecco, the excellent food and first rate service culminating in the complimentary Petite Fours it was a most a memorable occassion. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gourmet experiencegreedygutsDined on 8/10/2014I visited Kendells on 8th October & had their three course plus a half bottle of wine tea time menu. I was truly fantastic value for money. The food was fabulous, the atmosphere enchanting & the staff all very helpful & friendly. I cannot wait to return to Leeds so that I can visit again. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- SublimeDanielDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic food in a great atmosphere. The tea time menu is very good value and includes a very appetising selection of dishes and drinkable house wine. Returned the next evening to try Loup de Mer from the main a la carte. This was more expensive but beautifully cooked and delicious - well worth the money. The waiting personnel are a great team and we were very well looked after. I would highly recommend Kendall's to friends and colleagues. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitluvgoodfoodDined on 7/10/2014We went to Kendells on the recommendation of friends and were not disappointed. We went with two friends and we all decided to try the Early Bird Menu that is available till 8pm on week nights. We all chose the 3 course menu with 1/2 bottle of wine plenty of choice and the wine was good for a house wine. All the staff were very attentive and friendly. Have recommended Kendells to family and friends. Definately a good find. Will be revisiting soonSpecial Features:
- Great meal!fabfoodDined on 4/10/2014We visited Kendell's Bistro after finding it on the internet when planning our anniversary weekend trip to Leeds. We were not disappointed with a fantastic evening. On our arrival the owner (Mrs Kendall) remembered it was our wedding anniversary and sat us at a lovely table and brought over two glasses of fizz! The meal was fantastic and the service great. It was topped off by an amazing cafe gourmand and petit four! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- ExcellentlovenicefoodDined on 2/10/2014Friendly staff, amazing food in a lovely warm cosy atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSooziJDined on 30/9/2014As our visit was a very belated Mother's Day dinner I was looking forward to it immensely. Service was excellent from our arrival and the food was lovely. There was no rush between courses. It was my first visit, although not my sons and would recommend highly. So much so, I have already booked for New Year although I am sure I will return before thenSpecial Features:
- A little gem!WinequeenDined on 27/9/2014Never heard of this restaurant until it was recommended by a friend. Amazing food, fantastic staff and a great atmosphere. Will definitely be top of my list next time we want to eat in Leeds. Would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Great food as alwayschooacowDined on 27/9/2014Husband and I went to Kendall's for a romantic night out. We found it to be an overall fantastic experience, great menu and excellent atmosphere. You could see lots of happy diners around.Special Features:
- Fabulous as everLuvgoodfoodDined on 27/9/2014This was our 6th visit to Kendellsbistro. We have gone with friends, as a couple and in a large group of 16, each and every time the food and service is excellent. The early bird menu is amazing value for money, but there again the whole menu is amazing😊. Will be visiting again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014As we visited Kendells for my wifes birthday I requested a nice quiet table when I booked. We were greated witha "happy birthday" and a glass of proscecco - a lovely touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!GudfoodDined on 26/9/2014We are never disappointed - the staff are very friendly whilst being efficient, the menu choices are huge and the food has always been excellent in our experience. A fabulous place to take friends and relatives for a treat!Special Features:
- Probably the best venue in Leeds!GabbyDined on 26/9/2014Great surroundings, Great Staff, Great Food, Great value for money, need I say more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.