3 St Peters Square
Leeds, LS9 8AHNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kendellsbistro.co.uk/
- Phone: 01132436553
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Patron Steven Kendell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Kendell's Bistro
Kendell's Bistro is a casual Informal place to dine with the main focus on quality of food, wine and service within a French bistro atmosphere. It’s relaxed and informal - no waiters topping up wine glasses after every sip or sneaking up behind you with a six foot pepper mill. Cloth napkins but not starched, blackboard menus and open plan kitchen, intimate cosy candles flickering, friendly without pretence. In fact we are so french we don't charge for bread and we don't have a service charge!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kendell's Bistro - Best restaurants in Leeds ›
Kendell's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
393 reviews since 6 May 2014
special occasions (291)romance (257)pre/post theatre (234)fit for foodies (211)group bookings (83)outstanding value (83)business meals (55)good vegetarian options (44)disabled access (14)sunday lunch (13)afternoon tea (11)brunch (7)child friendly (5)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- JoshDined on 30/8/2014Excellent meal and service.only problem, been twice and each time bill has been wrong. Other tables items on our bill!
- Best restaurant in LeedsSteveDined on 29/8/2014The food here is simply superb with a wonderfully bohemian ambience and very reasonable prices. It is always very busy (maybe sometimes a little too busy), so book in advance, but they never disappoint. Cannot recommend Kendell’s enough.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014Food is outstanding, however restaurant a little overcrowded with tables. Constantly aware I might elbow the person behind me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent 5*!!LondondinerDined on 22/8/2014This was by far one of the best meals I have had in a long while! The ambience was great, service terrific and the food was divine. I certainly recommend the camembert starter (to share). Unfortunately we were too full for a desert but I shall definitely be returning the next time I'm in Leeds. Was a perfect evening - and I'm usually quite picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very HappyJBlowDined on 20/8/2014Never heard of this restaurant before and was very impressed. The service was good, ambiance and decor was more than suitable and the food was outstanding. Already looking forward to returning for another meal. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Great Anniversary MealJonDebPDined on 20/8/2014We went to Kendell's to celebrate our wedding anniversary and weren't disappointed. I am Coeliac and the staff were happy to ask chef what options i could have on my preferred meals, they also provided GF bread to have before the main meal. As it was a celebration they gave my wife and i a free glass of fizz, this was a good gesture and helped add to the special occasion we were celebrating. The food was outstanding and both our starters and main courses were exceptional. We declined on a dessert, however we were given complimentary mini desserts (again for free) that were GF. In summary a great place, with great food, very good staff with a lovely atmosphere. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/8/2014Nous y avons mangé pour ma fête d'anniversaire. c'était une vraie dégustation à la française. Je le recommanderais sans hésitation, particulièrement pour la qualité des plats, l'ambiance et le service!Special Features:
- Excellent valueConzaDined on 19/8/2014This is an excellent French restaurant. Food was superb, (my wife said the lamb was the best she had ever tasted) The atmosphere is really good - lively and chatty but not overpoweringly noisy. Service was excellent with lovely little touches such as giving my wife a glass of champagne and complimentary petit fours as it was her birthday. Would recommend it highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Propper BistroJohnThacDined on 19/8/2014A lively real bistro that does not trade food and service for ambiience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- kendells 16 AugustluddersDined on 16/8/2014we were given a glass of champagne for my birthday then the waitress offered to take pictures of the menu as they were on a black board and hard to read we were giving plenty of time to choose what we wanted and didn't feel rushed we had fresh warm bread they gave use a canapé with was a nice surprise and tastes really nice we didn't have to wait long I had scallops and my boyfriend had mussels and they both looked lovely and they were really tasty then we didn't have to wait long for the mains I had salmon and he had fish platter and they were both lovely and we were both full and for my birthday they gave me four little desserts with was a nice thing to do they made my birthday extra special and one I won't forgetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticlark86Dined on 16/8/2014Friendly staff great price with tea time deal, lovely foodSpecial Features:
- What a let down, go somewhere elseSwithiesDined on 15/8/2014There were many things at this restaurant that did not match with it's reviews. The restaurant was full, it was extremely stuffy and so warm it was uncomfortable. No fans, no air conditioning and only a little air available as the door was opened. The menu is pricey. The waitress said she didn't know about the wines and so had to point to it on the menu and give her the number. The meals we a little under cooked, a french trait. When the wine come it wasn't the one we had ordered so another short wait and yes it did arrive second time. When we got the bill unfortunately they over charged us for one main meal based on the price on their blackboard. They said that the blackboard was wrong, no apology. An arrogant reply from an average place
- Allo allo..... Fantastique dining !SupavetDined on 15/8/2014I shall say this only once... If you don't eat here, you are missing the best dining in the whole of LeedsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening mealAndrewDined on 15/8/2014We ate on a Friday night. The place was packed and had a real buzz to it. The food was outstanding, we had beef wellington to share for mains and although it was expensive it was amazing. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in leedsBertsDined on 15/8/2014We came here for my boyfriends birthday meal after hearing lots of brilliant reviews from friends and family. We were both taken back as to how beautiful the restaurant was! The food was outstanding - brilliantly priced and of a fabulous quality! Very romantic, lovely atmosphere and 10/10 service! Loved it and even told my boyfriend to bring me here for valentines day and out anniversary!! XSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post70Dined on 13/8/2014excellent atmosphere but as the eyesight deteriorates a full as well as the daily menu in printed format as well as the blackboard would be helpful and might perhaps encourage the post 50's .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningsarah4foodDined on 12/8/2014Fabulous food, we had pan-fried fois gras & fish soup to start followed by duck in blackcurrant sauce with goats cheese filo parcel & ribeye steak with dauphinoise pots & shared some veg. Lovely atmosphere & service to finish off a perfec eve :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic eveningFood4thoughtDined on 8/8/2014We dined at kendells 8/8/14 and had an amazing evening . From the moment you walk in you are made to feel special . The food and service are exceptional . The atmosphere is relaxed but elegant and children dine happily amongst adults . I had the confit of duck which was cooked to perfection and my husband had choucroute formidable, a great favourite and it was excellent.the staff are friendly and efficient . A little corner of France in the centre of leeds .fantastic.Special Features:
- Awesome serviceHappyDined on 2/8/2014Excellent attention to detail! Thank you for a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LambloverDined on 1/8/2014The best lamb I've had in a long time! 2nd time I've been to kendalls and it's never disappointed. Great food, really friendly service and amazing atmosphere. They even managed to make us laugh by accidentally bringing over a bottle of champagne that was ordered by the table next to us!! Definitely order the lamb and the chorizo calamari starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodAbredDined on 31/7/2014Great place. Went for tea time deal, which was great value. The food and service was excellent. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Foodie10VIPDined on 30/7/2014While the ambience was great, the food and service left a bit to be desired. The food especially was quite poor.Special Features:
- Great placeDiscerningDinerDined on 26/7/2014Great atmosphere, delicious food and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuffyDined on 26/7/2014The first time I have dined here with my partner and I was not disapoited, the ambience was excellent and the food good also. Would certainly go again for a special occasion or when visiting Leeds, aoverall a very nice place.Special Features:
- MmmmfoodDined on 26/7/2014Great Meal! Went to celebrate our anniversary, we were asked on arrival if we were celebrating anything, and as soon as we sat down we were greeted with a complimentary glass of prosecco - lovely personal touch. Service was friendly and professional from the off, food was brilliant - I will need to go about 8/9 times to try everything I fancied on the menu. The restaurant was busy - as always and the atmosphere is perfect, I would describe the decor and ambience as quirky - so if you're a boring diner you'll probably be out of your comfort zone. Price is very reasonable for the quality of food and service. I would recommend to anyone. Would rate it as one of the best restaurants in LeedsSpecial Features:
- SUPERBFAZZLEBRUSHDined on 25/7/2014The venue was chosen for our anniversary meal and we were not disapointed. We didn't have a table booked until 21:15 so a couple of the options on the menu had sold out but that is to be expected. The restaurant was full and the place had a real buzz about it. It felt like we were abroad and not in Leeds City Centre. My wife is hard to please and is a bit of a "food snob" these days. She said "it was the nicest meal she had ever had". I would definately receommned to anyone and will hopefully be back very soon for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiance excellent serviceGRandCEDined on 24/7/2014We were greeted and shown to are table by friendly staff. the menu was great with lots of choice. when the food arrived it looked fantastic and tasted wonderful. The ambience was great. An overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation dinner!FrostychoppsDined on 24/7/2014Wonderful warm greeting on arrival and handed a complimentary glass of fizz as I was celebrating my graduation which was an unexpected and lovely touch! Service was fantastic and the menu temptingly tasty-food was delicious and very reasonably priced-all in all a fantastic dining experience :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bistro in LeedsYorkshire1Dined on 23/7/2014We dined as a pre-theatre meal and was delighted. Good French cooking at value for money prices. The service was far better than most experiences in leeds or elsewhere for that matter. We did not have a dedicated waiter but our excellent service by several was seamless and never left hovering to try and catch one for attention. We both had the excellent smooth pate as starters: my lamb was very tender and the salmon in the light puff pastry excellent. Portions are generousSpecial Features:
- Great atmosphereEater1Dined on 19/7/2014A real find. A busy, buzzing, friendly atmosphere, great food and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING MEALOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/7/2014From start to finish Kendalls is an outstanding dining experience, which ticks all the boxes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/7/2014Excellent food quality, taste, and ambience. Great value for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!frenchfoodieDined on 16/7/2014Fabulous food, great and friendly service, busy and lively ambience - loved it! Where has this bistro been all my life? A little expensive but worth it. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/7/2014Everyone in our party very much enjoyed their food but would have liked more vegetarian options. We were made to feel very welcome and appreciated the nice touches such as some free fizz to help celebrate our daughter's graduation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningKevinconiferDined on 12/7/2014Hadn't been out for a while so decided to leave the sticks for the big city - Leeds. Booked Kendell's Bistro online, excellent choice! Everything was 5 star - the food, the ambience, the staff and the service. Do yourself a favour - go and have a great evening around town and finish with a wonderful meal at Kendell's, we did and loved it.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJFLeedsDined on 12/7/2014Kendells was a revelation, at last a restaurant that has good food, lovely ambience and thoughtful staff. Wide variety of options on the menu, beautifully cooked and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st night out in Leeds mealeeyoreDined on 12/7/2014I booked this with a friend as we were visiting from London and I had read it was the best place to eat in Leeds, we were not disappointed. When I first walked in I thought "was it Christmas" as the restaurant was full of twinkly lights, its not your typical bistro ambience, it was very busy, but relaxed and informal which i loved. The quality of food and wine was excellent and the very staff friendly. I ordered a seafood selection for my main, which was delicious, there is no menu as such as its on a massive chalk board on the wall as they change it so regularly, which can only be a good thing...... they offer to take a photo on your phone of the parts of the menu you cannot see which was a nice touch. Overall would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Lovely mealBar1Dined on 12/7/2014We recently went to Kendalls for a meal, we were very impressed with the service which was extremely efficient but did not make you feel rushed. The staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. We were treated to some champagne and petit fours as it was our anniversary meal which was a very thoughtful touch. The choice of food was good and our dishes were delicious. It is perhaps a little more pricy than other restaurants in Leeds but nevertheless we felt we had had a lovely special meal in a restaurant which was buzzing with a great atmosphere. I would certainly recommend Kendalls, particularly for a special occasion. Thank you for a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary MealbozovozDined on 12/7/2014Booked for our 2 year anniversary. Very accommodating, arranged for flowers on the table for my wife and we were given complimentary glasses of champagne and a couple of mini desserts. Staff were extremely busy but this didn't affect serving. Food was fantastic. Kendells Bistro is a Parisian gem tucked away and hiding in plain sight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mealgrowlerDined on 12/7/2014Having dined at Kendell's several times before we knew we would have an enjoyable meal & we weren't disappointed. We took friends who were staying with us from across the Pennines and they loved the experience. Being a Saturday evening we knew it would be very busy & slightly noisy but it all added to the ambience. The food is the best we have eaten outside of France - the scallops were divine, foie gras delicious, the lamb perfectly cooked and the blackcurrant sauce on the duck breast is the best sauce I've ever had with duck. We were too full to attempt a dessert so we will have to return soon (especially for my favourite parfait with prunes soaked in Armagnac).Special Features: