140 Acre Lane
London, SW2 5UTNeighbourhood:
North AfricanPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.khamsa.co.uk/
- Phone: 02077333150
- Hours of Operation:
Tue - Sat: 6:30pm to 12:00am Sun: 12:00pm to 5:00pm, 6:30pm to 12:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: North African
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, BYO Liquor, Personal wines welcome
A word from Khamsa
Welcome to Khamsa In 2009 myself and my wife we gave up our jobs to open khamsa , we thought it is the time for the Algerian cuisine to take its place amongst other cuisines , that’s why we strive to do our best to make our guests discover Algeria with our delicious authentic food. It wasn’t hard for us to decide what shall be on our menu , thanks to our mothers and culture who gave us the important bases to how to cook the best dishes and cakes , to make them more striking we added our personal touches and twists to them . simplicity , freshness and love they are our main ingredients in everything we produce in our premises .some of the recipes belongs to Khamsa .Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Khamsa reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since 23 October 2013
fit for foodies (3)outstanding value (3)group bookings (1)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- LovelyFoodieDined on 17/10/2014The food was really good; fresh, tasty and made with love! Service was great, a really nice evening from a couple who clearly care about what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly family run restaurantNMCCDined on 13/3/2014Really enjoyed our dinner here, very friendly owners and we will definetely return!Special Features:
- Absolutely loved the simpleDrGreeneDined on 26/2/2014Absolutely loved the simple approach in a small restaurant - a fantastic welcome, really friendly and incredibly flavourful food. We wanted something a little different, and this was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaultlessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 21/11/2013My boyfriend and I popped in for a quick bite before a gig at Brixton Academy and were unanimous in our enthusiasm. Gorgeous food (we had a lamb tagine and the chicken special with fancy couscous) and super-friendly treatment. We went early so we were the only patrons, and we fully intend to go back later in the evening when I imagine the ambience and atmosphere are a little more lively - however, the attentions/conversation of the chef/waiter more than made up for the lack of other diners. I'm what I would call 'discerning' and what my boyfriend calls 'fussy', so finding the right place to eat out can be tricky, but no hesitation wholeheartedly recommending Khamsa. It's a little walk out of the main Brixton drag, but definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok. Awful Customer Servicelizzi82Dined on 6/8/2013Food was mediocre. Staff not very welcoming. We arrived 10 minutes early, the restaurant had just opened and was empty. The owner asked us (including a highly pregnant lady) to take a stroll, instead of offering us a seat in the meantime. Eventhough we thought that it was really rude we decided to stay. As the restaurant has no alcohol licence, we used the time to pick up drinks from accross the rd.. Apart from a bottle of wine, we also bought a soft drink for my pregnant friend. If we had known...When we came back the owner denied her the soft drink (eventhough the restaurant didnt offer soft drinks apart from their home-made juices)! So she had to stick to tab water!Special Features:
- Loved it!MintyDined on 3/8/2013From the moment we arrived it was although we had been invited for dinner. The service was great, very friendly. The food was incredible - how can cous cous taste that good? In all a great evening at a great price.Special Features:
- Terrific food, great valueMosesDined on 10/7/2013Can't recommend this highly enough. Great food, great value. Shared a chicken and a salmon tagine with my date, we loved it. Wonderful service, very friendly. The bill was an absolute bargain too. Definitely worth a repeat visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, cosy atmosphereMelbournegalDined on 27/4/2013I booked a birthday dinner here for three friends and we all had a great evening. We started with the salad plate to share, which had a fantastic array of different, mainly vegetarian salads and some lovely smoky eggplant (aubergine) dip. We then tried three tagines: vegetable, salmon and a special chicken tagine with sweet potato. They all had great flavour. To finish, we tried their selection of sweets (vegan baklava, nougat, vegan hazelnut coffee balls, and other things) and had some delicious rose and mint tea. It is a perfect place for a relaxed catch up with friends. It's great that it is BYO as well. They do have a very small kitchen, so the owner/waitress will let you know when to order so that dining is staggered.Special Features:
- a real findBelleDined on 26/4/2013The food at Khamsa is excellent, prepared lovingly by a husband and wife team and made of the freshest produce. The salad selection is outstanding. The modern take on traditional Algerian dishes is interesting and delicious. Don't leave without trying the fresh juices and the cakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy fresh foodMeherDined on 5/4/2013The best cous cous I've ever had (I didn't like cous cous before this)! Also, they don't serve, so you can take your own good wine. I ordered the chicken and sweet potato special, which was good, but I tried everyone else's and the Lobia and the fish tagine are delicious. The restaurant itself is very charming and owned by a friendly Algerian couple. I'd definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gemDrea714Dined on 5/4/2013I found this restaurant via the glowing reviews it received on London food blogs - and while I'm typically skeptical of sweeping statements like "may flat out be the best restaurant in the city," in this case I'd have to agree that Khamsa is one of the best food experiences I've had in London. (And trying new cuisines is a bit of a hobby of mine.) The whole experience here was wonderful, from the lovely fresh juices to the huge, flavourful tagines to the sweet mint tea. I appreciated the authenticity of the place and the individual attention from the 2 person team who do both the cooking & the serving. What a gem - I'll definitely be back...and will be sending my friends along too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oasis in ClaphammintydanniVIPDined on 16/3/2013I found this restaurant through Toptable but it was equally high rated by all the going out websites. I met a couple of friends here. The area has lots of takeaway places but nowhere for a premeal drink. So we arrived early (to get out of the rain) and the male owner welcomed us in. There is a restaurant upstairs and a lounge downstairs. Their menu is small with daily specials so the perfect place for a date or out of town friends. They do BYO as well. I enjoyed my stew which had lamb meatballs, merguez sausage and veg and beans. I'd recommend this place as being a bit different but with very nice food. Next time I'd be tempted to have one of their homemade fruit juices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Algerian gemSayithowitisDined on 30/1/2013I ate here with 3 friends in late January as we like to try different cuisines in London (this was the 56th we've tried). We've had some highs and some lows along the way but this was a massive high point. Right from the start, there was a warm welcome and friendly service. The food was exceptionally tasty and varied. We tried all the starters on the menu which included dips and savoury delicacies. The mains were high quality as well with tender lamb on the bone and a lovely spiced salmon dish. The desserts were too sweet for me but they went down well with my friends. We finished off with a lovely local tea. Exceptional value, would go back in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a little gem!...CharVIPDined on 16/1/2013...found this restuarant on TT and thought I would give it a try as is just down the road from my house, I never knew it existed! Very cozy inside and has a fab downstairs area that would be great for a party or small gathering with lots of cushions and drapes everywhere. Waiter and waitress (think it was the owners?) were lovely and very helpful in choosing our dishes. Had lovely dips and breads to start and I had a baked salmon for main, was absolutlely stuffed after. Is also BYO so that is good and keeps the cost down, will defo be going there again :o)Special Features:
- Great local foodTerryDined on 9/1/2013Restaraunt was booked out the evening we were there so would recommend making a reservation. Very good food and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was yummy, althoughBusyBeeDined on 6/11/2012The food was yummy, although it was very heavy on the cous cous or beans element. The staff are friendly and its great that you can boy.Special Features:
- I would go there againFayGDined on 26/10/2012I didn't know what to expect but it was wonderful. The food was delicious, filling and of good value. I even took some of the home made bread home. The setting was intimate and relaxing. It was like being in someone’s living room. Considering it is just one waitress and one chef we felt well looked after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.