Khyber Indian Restaurant
284-288 High Street
London, CR0 1NGNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
Khyber Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.khybercroydon.co.uk/
- Phone: 02086816565x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week including all bank holidays
Sunday - Friday: 12pm - 2.30pm
Monday - Sunday: 6pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Raj Panday
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room with bar and lounge area available for free hire when booked for 10 or more people.
Max covers 40.
- Private Party Contact: Russell Khalique 02086816565x
A word from Khyber Indian Restaurant
Khyber is a super-chic, modern Indian restaurant on the Croydon High Street that has been serving stylish curry connoisseurs and local foodies since 1978. The cosmopolitan décor, which features polished floorboards, vanilla leather and dark wooden seats, crisp white linens and red accent lamps, provides the perfect backdrop for dates, business dining and intimate get-together. Founded by the Khalique family over 30 years ago, Khyber maintains its old-fashioned values and the service here is attentive and helpful. With its swish décor and delicious curries with an impressive wine list to boot, this restaurant has earned itself a loyal following on the Croydon dining scene and it"s wise to book your table in advanceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Khyber Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since 23 October 2013
special occasions (23)business meals (17)romance (13)fit for foodies (13)group bookings (12)outstanding value (10)good vegetarian options (10)sunday lunch (7)pre/post theatre (5)brunch (3)child friendly (2)afternoon tea (1)disabled access (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Great value for moneyFoodieloverDined on 4/9/2014We booked a table for a Thursday evening so it was nice and quiet. The waiters were attentive and offered some good suggestions for the main course. Food was delicious and it was really good value for money. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Delicious food!DebGDined on 24/7/2014The food here seems to get better every time. It was well-spiced but not too spicy, and it certainly impressed my friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food - service a bit strangeMartiDined on 11/7/2014Food was nice. Waiter was a bit strange. OK va;lie as we got £15 discount. Thought it was a bit cheeky to put 10% service change on to bill
- Brilliant as UsualFranMacDined on 3/7/2014Been coming to this restaurant for quite a few years now and it has never let us down. The food is always superb and the service excellent with a friendly atmosphere - we are always made to feel special. The menu changes regularly but manages to keep many of the "old favourites" and ensures all tastes are catered for. Definitely the place to come for an excellent food experience.Special Features:
- familydinerDined on 1/7/2014Excellent srvice and food as usual. One of our party was not happy with the way they cooked the fish and they happily replaced the dish with a prawn version at no extra charge. We always enjoy the ambience and service at this restaurant which serves a variety of well cooked dishes.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodLuvSteakDined on 11/6/2014The food is amazing - compliments to the chef. My partner and I go to the Khyber occasionally as a treat and we love it every time:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantktate1Dined on 3/6/2014really good food and service - some very interesting different dishes, rather than your run of the mill usualsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodspyVIPDined on 23/5/2014Another excellent dinner at a modern imaginative restaurant which really stands out in Croydon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Indian cookingalanatcroydonVIPDined on 2/5/2014We have eaten here often over the years, though this was our first in 2014. Buses towards South Croydon stop directly opposite the restaurant, so easy to get to. Inside the dark colours give it a certain elegance. Quite busy on the Friday evening. The menu had not seemingly changed since our last meal there. My wife chose her favorite giant prawns and I the seafood biryani. With one helping of nan bread, this was enough to feed us both. You do not need starters or lots of side dishes to eat comfortably. We enjoyed a white chenin blanc. The kulfi was good to complete the meal. Even with service charge, the total after deducting the Toptable discount was under £50. Extremely good value for money. Mr Khalique senior was in chargeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysFoodieDined on 2/5/2014This restaurant has never let me down consistantly delivers great service and food. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Katherine RichardsonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/4/2014Lovely atmosphere here. The staff were all very attentive. Nothing could have been more trouble. The food menu was a little different. Was expecting the usual curry house menu-but no, it was much more of an Al-a carte menu but without the prices. It was delicious and will definitely be returning again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very poor serviceDTD100Dined on 4/4/2014Went to this restaurant on the 4/4/14 arrived at 2000 didn't have started until 21.45 worse service that I have ever been to obviously very short staff but the food was excellent fresh very tastySpecial Features:
- Good againPaulBDined on 14/3/2014Never had a bad meal here. A bit pricey, but food and service are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out!Foodie11Dined on 14/3/2014I have been to Khyber a few times to dine and they never disappoint. The service as always is great with friendly staff. The food is great with reasonable prices too. If you try it once, you'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was recomendedFoodieDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant was recomended to me by a colleague as we wanted to go to an authentic indian restaurant for a team lunch. The service was efficient and attentive and the food was wonderful. We asked for extra spicy, sometimes you can go to Indian restaurants and all the curries can look or taste the same but Khyber every dish was fulled with distinct tastes. Very nice Friday treat! Highly recommend you will not be dissapointed.Special Features:
- Group bookingEllieHDined on 15/1/2014We had 16 people and the group were accommodated easily. Service, as usual, was attentive but not intrusive. Food, as usual, was of a high standard, fresh and hot.Special Features:
- Tasty foodShellbagsDined on 11/1/2014Had a lovely meal. My only issue was that when I checked the bill there was an extra item added that we didn't order. Always worth checking your bill to make sure it's correct. I pointed it out yo the waiter & he changed it immediatelySpecial Features:
- Great food as alwayskrillmanDined on 30/12/2013Great food as always, family friendly. It was my son's birthday (age 10) and the staff signed and gave him a card! You can have good adult food and there are some less spicy options for the kids. Friendly and attentive staff. I've been to many curry restaurants across London and this is one of the best I've been to and just down the road!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been going to the Khyber1stcustomerDined on 13/12/2013I have been going to the Khyber for more than 35 years. The food was always good but the restaurant has not stood still. Under the ownership of Mr Khalique and latterly his son the décor and food have evolved into what is now a thoroughly modern restaurant serving the most delicious, contemporary and uniquely tasty Indian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food bad servicePunjabiFoodieDined on 6/12/2013The experience was really bad. Ordered butter chicken, was served chicken tikka masala. Waited 20 mins for somebody to attend to us to give the menu card. After we asked for the bill, nobody came back. Finally half hour later we had to get up and go to the counter to pay. Will never be going back.
- DeliciousCurryonDined on 29/11/2013The food was very fresh and tasty and non greasy. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great serviceAngelaDined on 20/11/2013A smart indian restaurant offering tasty food from a non-standard menu.Special Features:
- Modern Indian foodalanatcroydonVIPDined on 8/11/2013With the Toptable offer, we had two main courses (risotto, and giant prawns) and two desserts (two delicious kulfi) and a bottle of SA chenin blanc and still paid less than £50 including service. On this Friday evening they were very busy and new customers were waiting to use our table as we finished. Quite a buzz. Several new staff since our previous visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice cheap curryCroydonDined on 8/11/2013Nice curry for a nice price. Staff are very attentive too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RevisitfamilydinerDined on 5/11/2013Our third visit to this restaurant where we had a delicious meal, beautifuly served in lovely surroundings. Nice to find a decent restaurant that will serve you later in the evening after being to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good indian tastesPaul89Dined on 27/10/2013For the very first time my wife and I we had the singular experience to be the only customers at the restaurant on a sunday evening. This was due to the big storm expected in London late october. Anyway wonderful service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality Indian foodPaulDined on 23/10/2013Great quality Indian food and the 2 for 1 offer was good business sense! Certainly drew us in. We will be back... Many thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 336 reviews are from the Khyber Indian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Best curry house in CroydonRichDined on 22/10/2013Always enjoy visiting. Food is excellent, price reasonable for the quality and service exceptional. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsNevynDined on 8/10/2013Having read the reviews on the Khyber restaurant we were expecting something pretty special and were not disappointed. The visit to the restaurant was for a family meal for six. The food was excellent and with the great service, we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. I would recommend the Lamb Shank Rogan Josh, very tender and absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFranMacDined on 2/10/2013The best Indian restaurant we have ever been to. We travel from Scotland to come to this restaurant and have been visiting for many years now and make a point of having at least one meal here each time we visit. Russell the host is fabulous and the food absolutely outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal as always at theLilminxDined on 27/9/2013Great meal as always at the Khyber. Friendly atmosphere and the food never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian restaurant ever!VickiDined on 21/9/2013My hubby and I have been going to the Khyber for almost 25 years. It has gone from strength to strength. It is now no longer "just" an Indian restaurant, but a beautiful dining experience. The owners (Mr. Khalique, Russell Khalique et al) and the staff are lovely people and always make us feel welcome. All of their dishes are now made without using Ghee, so are healthier. They have a great separate vegetarian menu if you want a very special Indian meal, I cannot recommend the Khyber highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealRedcarpetDined on 2/9/2013We went as a party of 6. The food was of a very high standard. We ordered a wide variety of dishes and they were consistently good. The service was efficient and friendly. Altogether a really good evening. The prices were a little higher than a typical curry house but well worth it as the standard of the ingredients and food presentation was so high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Khyber Pass!spwallisVIPDined on 31/8/2013Still a good curry and certainly well worth a visit but the Khyber is not what it once was. It was fairly early Saturday evening and the restaurant was very busy, so what do I know! We choose the meat and fish platter starters which I have to say were good. My wife then had some citrus based chicken curry which she enjoyed whilst I had the Beef Madras. This is where, in my opinion, things took a turn for the worse. In previous visits this was a superb Madras without reproach, a rich unctuous sauce with large tender pieces of beef that melted in the mouth. Unfortunately the one served to me on Saturday was a pale imitation of madras' of old, small rather tough cubes of beef that did not look or taste particularly appetising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Khyber restaurant - CroydonSilvyDined on 26/8/2013It was my third time dining at the restaurant and I was not disappointed. The quality of the food is as good as ever and everyone in the family loved their choices. Meat is very tender and succulent, fish was cooked to perfection. Ideal place to celebrate a special occasion, the staff is very attentive and courses are served at a good pace. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meal for 4jbdineDined on 17/8/20134 of us enjoyed a lovely meal at The Khyber last Saturday. My friends had been there before but it was the first time for me. It is so nice to find an Indian restaurant that has some alternative food to the typical curries we see on every Indian menu elsewhere. The 2 for 1 offer from toptable made it a real bargain to get such nice food at a great price.The food was presented well and the service was good. Will go again.Special Features:
- Fine DiningBlessingDined on 12/8/2013Excellent dining experience. Extremely hygienic. Great Food. Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing - has it hit its peakdpscDined on 8/8/2013Having eaten here on a number of occasions I was hugely underwhelmed by the food this time. The popadom sauces were utterly tasteless. My starter was the lamb, which was beautiful, but the main of chicken jalfrezi was not up to par. The lentil side was beautiful, but the other was just bland. My wife had bhajis, which was good, followed by a rather routine chicken tikka masala & rice. She left the majority of her main, as she said she felt no real compulsion to eat it. The service was as usual very good, but VFM? No, not on this occasion, not close.
- RecommendedSizzle16Dined on 8/8/2013Great service and the food was very yummy ....great value too, would definitely recommend :-)Special Features:
- Very good food but quiet restaurantalanatcroydonVIPDined on 27/7/2013We come here several times a year and this was a July Saturday evening. Whereas we would normally expect it to be packed, it was less than half full. The menu has not changed for a long time and it may be customers are starting to want to try some different dishes. I had the lambshank which was well cooked and fell off the bone. My wife the fish. Both come with lots of rich sauce. We finished with the tea-cup kufi which makes a refreshing end to the meal. The Chilean sauvignon blanc at £13 was good value. Once the Toptable discount was applied, we paid inc service the very modest amount of £40.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.