22 Water Front Walk
Birmingham, B1 1SNNeighbourhood:
ThaiPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kinnaree.co.uk/
- Phone: 01216656568
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 11pm
Saturday: 12pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access
A word from Kinnaree
Hidden away beside the canals waterways of Birmingham is this little gem of a restaurant. A little Thailand in the heart of the city. Once you enter Kinnaree Thai you enter a world of calm, tranquel surroundings. We also offer semi-private dining - parts of the restaurant can be screened to give privacy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kinnaree reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since 25 October 2013
romance (18)group bookings (18)special occasions (16)business meals (16)good vegetarian options (15)fit for foodies (10)pre/post theatre (8)outstanding value (7)sunday lunch (2)disabled access (2)brunch (1)child friendly (1)Show More
- A great Thai restaurantTristanDined on 18/10/2014Good food, plenty of ambience and great value. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Just as amazing second time roundbecksDined on 4/10/2014We went here for our anniversary kind of date. The food was just as delightful as it was the first time we visited. The sevice given was top notch, very attentive but not over bearing. The price you pay is worth the food!! It really is a treasure by the canal.Please go and try for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereneleh87Dined on 23/8/2014We ordered a starter each and 3 mains between us. This was a good amount. The food was very good, especially the grilled prawns, the sticky rice and beef stir fry. Service was generally good though there was some confusion with bills at the end. It was very busy however. The decoration is really fun. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GdeCPDined on 20/6/2014We had a bad experience at Kinnaree a few years ago, well seen it's had a change of management and this time thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I would have no hesitation recommending this restuarant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So poor, wasted opportunityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/5/2014All we wanted wads tasty Thai meal and with a setting along the canal, the scene was set!, however the food was tasteless, the service was non existent, decor poor and just no ambience whatsoever.
- Evening meal at kinareeTheluneDined on 25/5/2014I went for an evening meal at this resteraunt the service was excellent, the food was good however I love tom yum soup, if you like tom yum soup this isn't worth having in my opinion. Other than that I have been here a few times and whatever else I have had was quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MattbDined on 18/4/2014Have been probs 4 or 5 times now. very good food and service. Table for 6 on a 30th birthday....all the drinks inc 2 bottles of Piper chamagne and so much food came to 195 inc service charge at 17.5%....32 notes per head all in is incredable value i think.Special Features:
- good thai foodthailoverDined on 26/3/2014A great menu but on every visit this restaurant is let down by its tardy & unattentive service. Upon arrival a waitress walked right past us & had to be reminded to greet & seat us. we waited ages for a drinks order. we had a deal for 2x 3course meals & wine from a choice of 5 set menus. we were told we could only choose from 4 menus. disappointing. We were driving so we chose soft drinks instead of wine. It's very difficult to make eye contact with the staff so you cannot get their attention easily. Everyone seems to look at the floor.the meal was paid for in advance as part of the deal so I was again surprised & disappointed to be called back to the till to pay for our soft drinks, despite us not having the alcohol we had already paid forSpecial Features:
- Always good foodfredDined on 21/3/2014Nice place to eat in Birmingham. Always busy and food is always good. The staff were very courteous and friendly, whereas last time we went, I commented how miserable the one waitress was. There were a few meals not available, but we werent informed this at the time, otherwise excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of Thailand!MalaPDined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious. Each dish had its own unique flavour. My family really enjoyed the meal! I have bern to a lot of Thai restaurants and Kinarees beats them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night as alwaysTheColesDined on 16/2/2014We have dined here on many occasions and have never failed to be impressed. Food and service is always outstanding, a wonderful treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A jokeDavidhVIPDined on 2/2/2014Firstly, they had no record of my booking, even though they had confirmed it that day. Second, they couldn't even manage to bring all our pre dinner drinks.....we eventually gave up on one of them. The food itself was decent to be fair, but then as we finished our mains, they presented the bill and only then told us that the kitchen was closed. However, they even refused to make us tea or serve any other drinks ! At 10.30pm only, and having been spot on time for our booking, it's utterly amazes me that they don't think they are in the catering trade and they're supposed to provide customers with an enjoyable and complete meal and night out. Complete rubbish. Unforgivable treatment and we won't go back.
- Really nice place, brilliantDonDraperJnrDined on 25/1/2014Really nice place, brilliant staff and the food was great. Good view over the canal and the decor is authentic too, so really adds to the experience. Criticisms are minor, but the menu is perhaps a little long - in the end we just went for the set menu, which didn't disappoint. Would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service,GrovesyDined on 9/1/2014Great food, great service, great value enough saidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ornate and very good value Thaialice0073Dined on 30/12/2013Absolutely fabulous thai in the Mail Box, Birmingham. Great food, good value and friendly professional staff. The decor is traditional and tasteful especially love the dragon boat running through the middle of the restaurant. Their Mai Tais are also wonderful so they come highly recommended. Cannot fault the place at all. A must try in Birmingham!Special Features:
- Enjoyable, food was nice,BarcDined on 6/12/2013Enjoyable, food was nice, could have been more better, last visit was better than this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Value For MoneyAdventurousDinerDined on 1/12/2013A friend and I went for dinner here on the 1st of December, 2013. We ordered the following: STARTER: 2. Tod Man Pla 6. Toong Thong MAINS: 36. Gang Karee (Golden Curry) with Chicken 50. Pad Num Mun Hoi My friend and I were completely pleased with our order and the high quality of service we received that night. The restaurant was pretty quiet (not sure if it's because of the time/day we went) but it worked to our advantage as it added more romance in our date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great restaurantLoveThaiDined on 30/11/2013Myself & partner went to Kinnaree for a birthday meal, I requested a good table for the occasion which we got. Service & atmosphere was spot on. We were seated immediately and drinks came straight away. All the food was reasonably priced and everything was good quality; starters & mains. I would return to this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely meal hereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 23/11/2013We had a lovely meal here pre-theatre, this was our second time coming to the restaurant when visiting Birmingham. There were so many people in, even though it was only 5.30-6pm so the atmosphere was good. Service excellent as always and the food was lovely. I also enjoyed a couple of 'ping ping' cocktails which were really good.Special Features:
- Please review your bookingkatkin179Dined on 16/11/2013Please review your booking procedure. I booked a table online only to arrive and find that you were not open. NOT HAPPY - this was a 21st birthday celebration for my daughter and we had been looking forward to it.
- DisappointingLive2eatDined on 15/11/2013Having been a huge fan of this restaurant 2 years ago whilst living in Birmingham I decided to suggest it when a few of us were visiting Birmingham for the evening. The food was very bland and was literally on the table 2 mins after we ordered (lukewarm!) makes you wonder how fresh it actually was? There were many many communication issues with the staff. Having chose the restaurant and told my friends how great it was - it was rather embarrassing to have got it so wrong. And whilst it was not expensive - considering we could only eat 1/2 of our bland lukewarm meals before they were cold and inedible it was very poor value for money.
- Yummy and no mistake!leothelionDined on 13/11/2013This restaurant has a lovely ambience and the food was great. Although there are alot of tables they are well spaced and the staff placed different parties of people away from others so you were not constantly hearing other people's conversations. We sat by the window which looked out over the canal which was lovely. Care must be taken when ordering the puds which were much bigger than expected. A set meal followed by a pud was probably abit much but yummy all the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 708 reviews are from the Kinnaree reviews archive.
- Good food but....onemoresaturdaynightDined on 14/9/2013Service very attentive on arrival, orders taken, drinks starters arrived, then warm plates for mains, but then a very lengthy wait for main courses. When queried, we were told unconvincingly 'coming soon'. Disappointing, - they seem to be over stretched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food with a variedMontyDined on 24/8/2013Superb food with a varied menu, never lets me down this restaurant particularly as a difficult to please vegetarian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant food , convenient locationgastronerdDined on 23/8/2013The sharing of 2 banquet menus was a great success with my party of 6 and enabled a wide sampling of dishes.It was an enjoyable meal and the staff are professional but perhaps a little too efficient. This had a negative impact in that it made us feel a little rushed. It may be that the staff are not used to talking to customers and I would suggest that this would bring an improved vibe to the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A last minute decision ledreggieeaterDined on 17/8/2013A last minute decision led to a really enjoyable gastronomic experience, highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Kinaree ReviewBobbyDined on 16/8/2013I visited Kinaree after 2 years and despite the nice decoration and surroundings, found my last visit somewhat disappointing and compromised through the quality and presentation of food. We were offered a complimentary bottle of wine after booking through top table. The starters were nice and piping hot but we were let down my the mains. The prawns were returned since they were cold, they came back reheated rather than replced and no acknowledgement of an apology. The pad thai was cold and poorly presented lacking in colour and vegatables not to its usual high standard.
- Great food, great placebecksDined on 14/8/2013I had heard a lot about this restaurant and decided to to have my birthday dinner here. I must say I was impressed. The food arrived promptly and was hot. The views of the canal were amazing, and the atmosphere relaxing. the portions sizes were worth the money, so the prices are adequate. The restaurant has a lot of art work and pieces, so it can look very snug, but was not off putting. I am going to return here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThaiGIRLSDined on 27/7/2013It was pretty good - typical Thai restaurant - very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We booked this restaurantLaurenDined on 20/7/2013We booked this restaurant as we both love Thai Food. The choice and quality were superb. We chose a set menu and were very satisfied with the amount of food that we were given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service excellent and food tastyaeb1Dined on 10/7/2013Overall great though I did think starters were expensive and I don't like having service charge automatically added to my bill. This wasn't made clear on booking.
- Very niceMIT88Dined on 25/5/2013Soon as we entered we we're looked after. The staff were very kind and helpful in terms of explaining what each item was (vege options). As we dont eat onions or garlic they freshly made every item without these and each item was really nice and filling aswell. I would definitely go back but most likely only for special ocassions as the price range is a little out of my budget.Special Features:
- Good value restaurant with good porJenshaylerDined on 22/5/2013I booked this restaurant for 1600 hrs, when we got there the member if staff stated they weren't open til five and couldn't find the booking??? We did go back at 5 pm, food was fresh, plentiful and staff very attentive. Wouldn't rush to go back I've had betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely mealKagsDined on 15/5/2013Had a wonderful Thai meal. Lovely setting watching the barges go by. Ace!Special Features:
- The restaurant was lovely,SparrowDined on 3/5/2013The restaurant was lovely, in a lovely location. Style and decor were great, food was delicious and gorgeously presented. The staff were both friendly and helpful and left us to enjoy our meals which were wonderful. Vegetarian and vegan options were fantastic and were very good value for the location.Special Features:
- usual impeccable experiencepriceajDined on 6/4/2013It never ceases to amaze me how good the service and food are at the Kinnaree, easily the best Thai restaurant in Birmingham. Very good value at around £25 per head including service charge and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightJezterDined on 30/3/2013We had a lovely meal at Kinnaree on Saturday 30 March 2013, which we expected having dined there before. The food remains beautiful, but the struggle with service on a Saturday night it would seem and I would suggest this may be the case on a Friday night also. My other half noticed our food sitting on the side in the restaurant waiting to be served for 10 minutes before it arrived with us, but the restaurant was full. There didn't appear to be any one person in control, so a little better organisation and it would all have been fine. It is a great place to go and I would continue to recommend this restaurant. I will be going again, but fingers crossed the organisation will improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's okcgjung43Dined on 29/3/2013Nice people though a bit disorganised (they couldn't find my online booking despite having acknowledged it themselves). Good atmosphere, Good location. Food ordinary (at best). The food would have to improve to tempt me back.
- saturday lunchgingermissDined on 16/3/2013very quiet but very nice, lovely meal, particularly the red curry, go again, yesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having booked for 10.30 throughbirminghamdinerDined on 9/3/2013Having booked for 10.30 through toptable, we were greeted at the door with "We're closed"! The staff were rude even when we pointed out we had a reservation. We were informed that we would have to eat our meal and then leave by 11. On top of this they then included a £4 service charge in our bill! This was not a good dining experience and I doubt we will return, despite living in Birmingham and dining out often.