20 Camden Passage
London, N1 8EDNeighbourhood:
AustrianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kipferl.co.uk/
- Phone: 02077041555x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 12:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 12:00pm – 6:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 6:00pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian
- Executive Chef: Monika Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
Savoury or sweet canapes, Austrian sausages and salads, or hire a chef at home.
A word from Kipferl
Kipferl is a traditional and authentic Viennese coffee house and restaurant based in Camden Passage, Angel. We serve homemade Austrian cakes and coffee specialities and small dishes such as gulyas soup and Frankfurters in our cafe area at the front to classics such as Wiener Schnitzel and Kaesespaetzle accompanied for fine Austrian wines and beers in our restaurant area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
Kipferl - Best restaurants in Angel ›
Kipferl reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since 21 October 2013
brunch (63)afternoon tea (44)fit for foodies (40)sunday lunch (29)outstanding value (22)good vegetarian options (20)pre/post theatre (17)romance (17)child friendly (16)business meals (14)outdoor eating (10)special occasions (10)group bookings (7)disabled access (5)Show More
- Consistently GoodEatalldayDined on 17/10/2014Been here too many times. Still good... !!! Sausages, goulash, and an array of desserts. Great lunch.Special Features:
- Its like I was back in austriamarkDined on 12/10/2014When I initially found Kipferl online I could not contain my excitement. I used to go skiing in Austria a lot as a kid and I especially loved the delicious food they have there. With high expectations we went and I can say it was as great as i hoped it would be. Delicious food! We started with the goulash soup. I was afraid it would be too filling and ruin my main course (but I got it anyway) and the portion was just right! Then for the main course the Wiener schnitzel, talk about a trip on memory lane! Large schnitzel as well! Less salty than I remember them to be. But that is a plus really! For desert I had the Keiserschmarrn, a perfect end to a great meal! The price was very decent and their service is very frienly. Will come back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Austrian cookingJohnDined on 24/9/2014There aren't that many London restaurants offering a combination of konditorei and stube, so Kipferl is most welcome. Sensibly, they don't try to be all things to all people, but they do offer an attractive menu, well cooked, a decent range of wines with plenty by the glass and Stiegl beer from Salzburg. If only geography allowed the latter to be vom fass (but that is only an if only)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantClomangeDined on 13/9/2014We always have a lovely meal at Kipferl. Staff are friendly and attentive and the food is delicious. It's unusual to see an austrian restaurant and it's nice that this one is so modern but the food is authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but good range of foodmitSchlag53Dined on 30/8/2014As a second generation Austrian immigrant, I'm always looking for good Austrian food in London. Kipferl fits the bill admirably - the choice is not big but the quality is good and the service friendly. The soup was excellent, the chicken schnitzel was delicious, the mixed salad was a proper Austrian salad, very hard to get in this country, and the desserts even included a gluten free cake. What was missing which I would have appreciated was a vegetarian option which was also gluten free. We're off to Vienna tomorrow so it was great to get a taste of it beforehand. Would highly recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner. Also carries a range of Austrian delicacies to buy, which is a great extra.Special Features:
- Love Schnitzelnort00Dined on 29/8/2014I love Schnitzel, so it was a great place to go. Amusingly when we ordered the chicken one you could hear them hammering away in the kitchen to flatten it - so you know its fresh.Special Features:
- Good food but lacks ambienceFedeDined on 28/8/2014I was expecting more of an Austrian beer restaurant but this was more like a coffee house.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star without doubtCCdiningDined on 28/8/2014The food is simply excellent! The service is great and the venue is small but just comfortable. Everybody who likes traditional austrian cuisine or likes to try new things is absolutely right to go there. I am regular guest as it is absolutely affordable! Excpecially for London! So 5stars for me without doubt! Advice: book a table ;) can get quite busy as a lot of people already know how great it is there ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a place for mid-week dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2014This was the second time I dined at Kipferl and it was again a wonderful experience. Good, fresh and tasty food in a simple and stylish setting made for a very enjoyable mid-week dinner and catch up with friends. The spinach dumplings were delicious and come highly recommended! The staff were very friendly and accommodating - one member of our party was running 40 minutes late but they did not rush us and politely advised us when they were concerned that the our order would need to be in time for the kitchen. Overall a fantastic meal - will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014An outstanding cafe with lovely people. Every Austrian who lives or even just visits London, should stop by! It is definitely worth it!Special Features:
- AngieDined on 2/8/2014Very good eating experience and value for money! I visited Kipferl for dinner but I would strongly recommend it for lunch! I didn't try the cakes but they looked delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidpdavidpVIPDined on 2/8/2014Kipferl is outstanding evidence that Austrian cuisine can be, and is, interesting, delicate and delicious. The spinach dumplings were much enjoyed. It's quiet calm, unobtrusive service and unpretentious approach underline its exellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ambience and good foodFlorenceDined on 15/7/2014Kipferl is really lovely inside. Warm, inviting and quite informal. They have a good menu on offer although it's not that big and I don't think it would be a veggie's cup of tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentEatalldayDined on 12/7/2014Been too many times to count, always good! Sausages never fail, soups well hearty. Ambience relaxed and friendly.
- Very goodroblondon59Dined on 11/7/2014Friendly atmosphere, excellent service and good food - the cakes are outstanding! Recommended!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable and excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014A relaxed and informal atmosphere, with genuinely Austrian food. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austria in IslingtonFrickaDined on 2/7/2014Excellent value traditional Austrian food to make you nostalgic for your skiing holidays. Interesting inexpensive wine list tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kipferl (again)DanielDined on 26/6/2014We keep going back, good beer, excellent food and good value.Special Features:
- Surprisingly delightfulakiltayebDined on 19/6/2014Great service, lovely location and delicious food. I was given false information by previous customers that despite the quality of the food, portions were fairly mediocre compared to the prices. So I was really shocked to see the huge portions in front of me when I went there for myself! Definitely worth it and am dying to go there again.
- Und wenn sie koan Almdudler ham...marmarladeDined on 8/6/2014This is a great Austrian restaurant with sophisticated twists on classic Austrian dishes. The menu is compact, but has enough variety to support vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. If you can manage it, try a dessert - the Topfenknoedl are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedFranzJoseph11Dined on 27/5/2014. I booked evening meal for 2 as a birthday treat for my husband. The ambience was poor,-it was drafty and there was a smell of cigarettes in the restaurant. The service was ok ,but the food poor. Not much choice on the menu and very stodgy. The apfel strudel was cold and very heavy. When I left some of it the waitress apologised for not being able to heat it up as the owner does not allow use of microwave at that time in the evening. She did not charge me which was h=nice but it would have been better to have warned me that the strudel was cold and then I would have chosen something else. It's really more of a café /patisserie than a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great value, lovely atmosphereladiniaDined on 24/5/2014The breakfast was really lovely with amazing value for money on the set breakfasts, coffee was delicious, service very friendly, nice atmosphere – I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Austrian treatsSteveN6Dined on 22/5/2014Why is Austrian/Germanic/Central European food such a rare thing in London? Kipferl helps to correct this. The menu may be short but I know from my continental travels that everything is very authentic. Good Wiener Schnitzel, Kalbsgeschnezeltes, cakes and desserts. The atmosphere is somewhere between cafe and restaurant. I will be back.Special Features:
- DisappointingEeddDined on 8/5/2014Service very slow. Ambience poor, limited menu choice, drinks choice very limited. Decor poor, meal mediocre and better choice of restaurant in the area. More cafe style than restaurant.
- Authentic Austrianfood4theatreVIPDined on 3/5/2014Kipferl is an authentic Austrian restaurant in the heart of Islington. There aren't many in London. I should know being Austrian. Schnitzel was tasty, coffee was very good, served as it must with a glass of tap water and a piece of Milka chocolate. Enough said.Special Features:
- Did not end wellAJ21Dined on 2/5/2014It's a cute little bistro on Camden passage , booked for a date night. Everything was going well until we saw that the guy who served us was playing with one of the customers dog. I don't blame him cause the dog was super cute but I kept waiting for him to wash his hand but that never happened and I lost my apetite when he brought our food and drink.
- Yummy KaiserschmarrnBeckmannDined on 1/5/2014I have been to Kipferl with friends from Bavaria and we all enjoyed our dinner very much. We tried various things from the savory menu as mains. Although the best was the Kaiserschmarrn we had as dessert. The service was very friendly, kind and quick even though we could see they were very busy. I will be definitely be back for a treat of austrian food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of Austria in N1OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 30/4/2014Came here for the first time. Very good place for a light lunch, coffee or tea and cake. The restaurant is light and airy; the service friendly and prompt. I had white asparagus (a delicacy in Austria and Germany at this time of year but nearly impossible to obtain in the UK), with some Austrian cured ham and potatoes - this was very good, although personally I thought that the asparagus was a bit overcooked (a matter of taste) and I would have liked 5 spears instead of 3 but it worked very well as a light lunch or starter. Kipferl also sells Austrian cakes and the "Kipferl" biscuits, all of which are very good. A nice place, enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apres ski food in IslingtonMcLeeVIPDined on 15/4/2014Great coffee selection. Interesting brunch menu...fab cheese and austrian noodle dish. Friendly service.Special Features:
- Decent Austrian FaresmidolaDined on 12/4/2014Wonderful food with an authentic Austrian feel. The service is excellent and the ambiance is lovely for dinner.Special Features:
- I loved the ambience and thedinner83Dined on 29/3/2014I loved the ambience and the head of the staff was also very friendly. The cauliflower soup was fantastic and deserts were also great. It's a very cozy and relaxed kind of place. Would definitely go back for an afternoon cup of tea again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of AustriaVirginiaPVIPDined on 28/3/2014Kipferl offers a very decent sample of Austrian food at a good price. I've been before for breakfast (order the fried bread!), and supper is as pleasant an experience. My starter of smoked salmon with cucumber, garlic and dill sauce is both rich and light, though the garlic is but a hint in the background. As a main I order krautspaetzle, cooked in a skillet under a substantial inch of organic mountain cheese - pure dairy indulgence, not for the faint hearted! Dessert is apricot pancakes with ice cream and whipped cream, and while I was expecting fresh apricots pressed in pastry, unfortunately the dessert is made with jam. Don't leave, however, without a little bag of Kipferls to take home as a souvenier - tiny curls of vanilla shortbread.Special Features:
- I took my Austrian wife toWombatDined on 28/3/2014I took my Austrian wife to this restaurant (one of the very few (only?) Austrian restaurants in London) as part of her birthday present. The restaurant itself is smart and the waiting staff very good. The food was also good except for my kaiserschmarren (pancakes) which unfortunately were doughy and burnt; to be honest I should have sent them back.Special Features:
- Treating Mum to BrunchSallyDined on 23/3/2014I've been to Kipferl once before and really enjoyed my breakfast so decided to take Mum as a treat when she was visiting. I know how busy it can be so booked in advance, though they do their best to accommodate non-bookers. The decor is a lovely, understated, modern Austrian/Viennese feel. There is a pair of vintage skis in the corner and I love the newspapers on hooks. I chose the Organic Mountain Cheese Omelette with rocket, walnuts and rye bread which was absolutely delicious! Mum had French Toast 'Holzhacker' Style with crispy Austrian bacon which she too thoroughly enjoyed. We had freshly squeezed orange juice, a melange and a soy latte to finish. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and I will definitely be back again :)Special Features:
- A little taste of ViennaFreesoulDined on 14/3/2014You know when you do something simple & really enjoy it then wonder why you don't do it all the time? That's how I feel about a Kiperl breakfast, my friend & I decided to make it our weekly meet up; brunch then a light cultural excursion. Lovely food, gracious staff & an authentic feel to the restaurant. The menu contains the history of the dishes which makes them sound so much more delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A superb little findDMCDDined on 1/3/2014A very good little find in Angel. Leans towards being slightly expensive (£10 for the 'Viennese Breakfast', consisting of bread, jam, ham and cheese) but ingredients are high quality so not a massive complaint... Also, that price was offset by excellent value Austrian tarts and fantastic coffees. Service was friendly and attentive too. Great ambiance.Special Features:
- Great value & fabulous service!HealthyappetiteDined on 28/2/2014Lovely little place, understated but elegant interior. The food is great and authentic and the service is attentive without being intrusive. I went for dinner which was perfect and would definitely consider brunch or just nipping in for a great coffee and cake. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like homeCheiwachDined on 26/2/2014Kipferl is the place where I go when I need a warm place, a great bowl of soup, a lovely friendly face, a fantastic comforting meal... It is wonderful. I had no idea Austrian food could be that good. The menu never really changes. But it's good at what it does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a late lunch on SaturdayUrbaneFoodieDined on 22/2/2014Went for a late lunch on Saturday and both my friend and I enjoyed our mains and dessert very much. Fantastic apple strudel! My only complaint is the ladies' restroom: the tap wasn't working at all so there was no way of washing one's hands, and the restroom needed more regular day-to-day maintenance. .Special Features:
- LunchFineDiningDined on 19/2/2014I really enjoyed visiting Kipferl. The service was nice and there was a pleasant atmosphere. Coffee was served with a small chocolate and glass of water, which was a nice touch and I think the water and coffee is an Austrian thing. I had the French toast 'Holzhacker' style with Austrian bacon which was okay, but the portion size could have been slightly bigger and it was too dry so either the bread should have been left to soak up the egg more or adding maple syrup to it. There are quite a few appealing things on the menu, and other people's food and cake looked delicious, i will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.