Kurobuta Marble Arch
17-20 Kendal street
London, W2 2AWNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £26 to £40
Kurobuta Marble Arch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kurobuta-london.com/
- Phone: 02034754158x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Scott Hallsworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kurobuta Marble Arch
Thank you for choosing Kurobuta Marble Arch, a Japanese Izakaya restaurant. We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Kurobuta Marble Arch - Best restaurants in Marble Arch ›
Kurobuta Marble Arch reviews from OpenTable diners
308 reviews since 31 October 2013
fit for foodies (189)special occasions (87)group bookings (80)good vegetarian options (53)business meals (42)romance (41)outdoor eating (31)brunch (20)outstanding value (17)pre/post theatre (16)sunday lunch (15)child friendly (13)disabled access (7)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Just gets betterkitkatVIPDined on 29/10/2014Japanese pub food with a chilli kimchi punch. Sensational!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese deliciousnesstuckmystirVIPDined on 27/10/2014so delicious. Pork buns superb melt in the mouth meat - not sure about bbq sauce bit over powering. Soft shell crab outstanding. Lavender creme brulee good but too many flavours with the shortbread and other bits going on. Good sake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place needs a Michelin star...DiningCrewDined on 23/10/2014Every mouthful was a taste sensation, even the simplest of dishes like the tempura pumpkin was amazing. As well as the usual Japanese dishes that you would expect on the menu, cooked to perfection, they also had some really delicious surprises, with food combinations I never would have thought of but worked exquisitely. And the puddings, wow, definitely get a pudding. All that and the staff were delightful, needless to say I will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTinglingTastebudsDined on 23/10/2014We were looking for a special night for a birthday celebration for a family of foodies and Kurobuta nailed every requirement. i think we managed to order nearly everything on the menu and every single dish was incredible. So well seasoned, flavoured and succulent. The wagyu beef sliders were insanely good! My family, a hard crowd to please were fighting over the last little crispy bit on every sharing plate. I loved the sharing element as you get to taste more food. Great cocktails too! The staff were spot on, attentive but with a casual vibe. Great table in the booth area provided for us which made the evening more intimate. Could not find any fault with the place will definitely be going back and recommending to all my friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodmiminaDined on 23/10/2014Incredible food but it's too loud and noisy, they blast heavy metal in the restaurant so you have to shout at your friends to hear each other.
- Excellent food, poor serviceMKMKDined on 23/10/2014The food was simply outstanding. We absolutely loved every dish that we ordered. Now, the service was a whole different experience. It reminded me of being in a really pushy restaurant in the US. The server simply did not give us any room to breathe from the minute we sat down. He kept coming back every two minutes to check-in, or simply walk by with a look that indicated that he was eager to turn the table. We had a table for four and per the reservation, we were allocated two hours. About an hour in, we were already feeling pressured to leave. The server offered to clear our plates never mind the fact they still had food on them, and nothing in our demeanor indicated that we were done. If only he would have let us enjoy our meal in peaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Marble ArchWallhoffDined on 22/10/2014We went for a mid week catch up/dinner and we have added a new favorite to our long lists. The staff was so welcoming and gave us some good recommendations. The food is very innovative and the combination of flavoures just work great. Our favorite was the Tuna sashimi pizza, sounds crazy, but oh so delicious. We had a hard time choosing as everything looked amazing, both on the menu and on neighboring tables, so we will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Japanese Fusion Tapas-styleawcroydonDined on 21/10/2014Amazing food served tapas-style in a trendy and interesting environment. Some stunning fusion dishes and while some dishes weren't as exciting as others, there were no really bum notes. Sashimi pizza a stand-out, superb. Possibly the best desserts anywhere. Not for the weak-walleted.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great atmosphereJohnDined on 20/10/2014Really interesting and tasty Japanese dishes, fun and not at all pretentious atmosphere with super friendly staff. Highly recommend.
- OkakigVIPDined on 18/10/2014By japanese standards, one of the dishes was good - the scallop sashimi with tobiko but the rest was average. However it was overpriced for what it is and the service became super slow as the restaurant started to fill. Definitely not worth £120 for a casual dinner for two in a pub like setting with only one drink each. I would be happy to pay £80 at the most for two with the current food and service standards.
- Great addition to the arearaleighreesVIPDined on 18/10/2014Can't fault the food - fresh, innovative , creative - yummy Lunch is a bit more youthful a crowd then dinner and the music playing reflected this. I'm clearly getting old but column was to loud and the pumping bass a bit distracting - like the staff turned up the music for their set up and then forgot to turn it down when the doors openedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulinegDined on 17/10/2014Buzz, vibe, food...everything was perfect! We weren't expecting anything and had a fabulous night. The food was absolutely DELICIOUS! We were 2 and shared 7 dishes and paid £86 which was a bargain comparing to other famous Japanese restaurants. I recommend the sashimi pizza!
- Kurobuta FailbettybDined on 16/10/2014I booked a table for 3 people at 8:30 about 2 weeks beforehand with a request for a nice table for a special celebration. We arrived and waited to be greeted by the hostess, who was clearly flustered. She found our reservation and we were made to stand for 5 mins while she and a coworker tried to figure what was happening.Eventually she decided to acknowledge us again and said our table was not ready yet and to wait at the bar. The bar was full and we were stood in front of a rice cooker. I complained and we were moved to a high table. Atmosphere was terrible, music was loud, the service was messy, and they completely ignored my request for a nice table. I would not recommend it the food was ok, tiny portions and overpriced.Special Features:
- Amazing and creativefoodieDined on 16/10/2014Wonderful Japanese sharing style food. We had a great selection of food, stand out dishes included the tuna sashimi pizza and the gravadlax and avocado tartar. Good service and great cocktails meant it provides a 5* experience in all respects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat yourselfFoodie68Dined on 16/10/2014I visited Kurobuta Marble Arch with my wife and a friend, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We booked on a Thursday night, and the atmosphere was buzzing, but not so much so as to impede the conversation. The food was excellent, particularly the unagi tempura, bbq chicken, and soft-shell crab maki. We also tried a few cocktails and some saki, all of which were a great match for the food. The service was outstanding, with our table being available as soon as we arrived, prompt delivery of our orders, and multiple servers checking in to make sure everything was fine with the meal. As noted by other diners, the food is a bit pricey, but well worth the occasional treat, and I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best japanese pub food everkitkatVIPDined on 16/10/2014great buzzing vibe, super attentive staff, but best thing really is the sensational food. small plates of exquisite deliciousness,intense umami taste, the only slight gripe is the bill adds up if you want to try the whole menu, as you most certainly will! Pumpink tempura so delicious and light and crispy, lamb chops so sweetly smokey, an aubergine so sweet you could have it for desert. and then the deserts, which you wouldn't normally have to save room for in japanse restaurtants; the pistachio cake with candied hazelnuts, chocolate sauce was the best combination ever. staff so attentive, that when they thought we were complaining about a cocktail, replaced it with a free one, even though we weren't complaining - that's excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Good Food and serviceRomeo777Dined on 15/10/2014Great sashimi and sushi, however they could improve on the robata quality – the wings and the ribs were below average. Was over all a very good meal but unfortunately it is not one that i would go out of my way for. Overall, I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys Japanese food and enjoys trying new places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food but service is like a pubSN2014Dined on 14/10/2014Ordered 6 dishes. All arrived in a timely manner. Then decided to order one more main course and 2 deserts. That took more than 30mins and we had to cancel the dessert when we were told it will take another 15mins. A good timing by the kitchen/waiter could easily solve the trouble. We also ordered a second bottle of sake and had to remind the waitress when it didn't arrive. Overall, food is nice but hampered by poor inattentive service. The atmosphere feels like a canteen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion sceptic but convincedDennisDined on 14/10/2014Normally fusion food for me is chefs who cannot make the real thing well. However Kurobata is different. Casual atmosphere with friendly ambience, with buzz but not too noisy. Easy parking. Excellent food without the usual fusion food that either do not work or insulting to the original cuisine culture. Was recommended by a friend to try it. Outstanding and going on my favourites list. Only one slight critic... the wine list could be more comprehensive... but then I have 3 professional wine qualifications so it may be just me being too demanding!Special Features:
- Not bad but a tad budget busting...DigfoodDined on 14/10/2014Lovely food, nice environment and friendly staff. However, fine dinning prices in a canteen style and informal restaurant/environment wouldn't be to everyones liking. The environment is like Wagamama, the prices are the opposite. However, with that said, the food was great and the service likewise, but I left with the knowledge I won't be returning anytime soon...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/10/2014Good Japanese food for London, but not outstanding. Service was friendly, though was a little slow at times (took 20 minutes for us to order after being seated). Overall an enjoyable night.Special Features:
- WonderfulSalsfoodDined on 12/10/2014We were looking forward to the meal having read reviews and we weren't disappointed. Could have chosen everything on the menu and what we did have was wonderful. Will be back as soon as back in London, no question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with buzzy atmosphereLCrosbieDined on 11/10/2014We really enjoyed the food here. Particular highlights were the lamb, the pork belly, the mushrooms with Gorgonzola and the edamame with sake and butter. The only disappointing dish was the squid. Would recommend a visit
- OutstandingAJMWDined on 9/10/2014Kurobata's food is excellent: innovative and delicious. The Sashimi pizza is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excitingly different food (and fun)wandsworth86Dined on 3/10/2014Very different menu with outstanding food. Would recommend the sashimi pizza!! Great vibe and very fun atmosphere on a Friday night in London. Great place to go for dinner as a couple or group of friends.Special Features:
- Too expensive!!wiltsDined on 3/10/2014£190 for 3 diners was too much for what was essentially a posh tapas. Having said that, the flavours were stunning, the buzz and atmosphere enjoyable and lively. Will not be returning, but would give a qualified recommendation, if asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, poor serviceLongluncherDined on 3/10/2014I'd read some amazing reviews of this place and was excited to try it. The food was generally good but not as magical as some had made out. The aubergine is certainly worth trying. However at the prices charged you would expect the food to be good. But you'd also expect good service which was fairly lax, with repeated requests needing to be made for various things (even the bill!). The staff were pleasant but seemed a bit distracted. I was dining with an older companion and we found the background music loud enough to make conversation difficult - we asked if it could be turned down a bit but if it was it made little difference. In summary, we enjoyed our pricey meal but we won't be rushing back.
- Great food, service a bit slowLovetoeatDined on 1/10/2014We went on a Wednesday night, it was busy but not packed and there was a buzzy atmosphere. The food was really, really good and I would highly recommend going - however, when we went service was very slow, we waited 30 mins for our drinks (by which stage some of our food had already arrived and been eaten) and when we asked for the dessert menu we were told there was a 25 minute wait. A bit disappointing however the food did make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time let down!HahnDined on 1/10/2014This was my second visit to Kurobuta and I had a 6.30 table. The place was only 1/2 full yet they proceeded to bring all, and I mean ALL the dishes, we ordered out to our table within a 10 minute window. Even when our table was overflowing and we had started to place some of them on a neighbouring table to make a point, the dishes still kept coming out! Now the first of the dishes we had were fantastic but the later dishes... once they had gotten cold, didn't match those standards understandably... such a disappointment after my first visit there was awesome... Hopefully just a service glitch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fusion with a twistBCParisDined on 28/9/2014I enjoyed tremendously the Sashimi Pizza, Nasu (aubergines ++++), the Duck, the Pork belly bun and if you like fried food have the fries, the edamame and the Shrimp tempuraSpecial Features:
- DeliciousMariaDined on 24/9/2014I love the food here. Highly recommended. The service is very good but not great and the ambience varies but it's generally good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPerkasDined on 21/9/2014Went here for the third time, always amazing food! Really cool venue & the fact that you get to eat while listening to Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins etc. is a big bonus. Amazing food & very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese Tapas-type PlaceJamesDined on 20/9/2014Found out about this place by Googling high quality tuna (?!) and made a booking for late Saturday night. On arrival noted how buzzy the place was and had a really friendly welcome and nice ambiance. Naturally quite busy on a Saturday night but only a slight wait for tables despite us showing up 15 minutes early. Menu looked as good in real life as it did online and everything we ordered was delicious, amazing food combinations and incredible presentation. Wife loved the Green Tea Matcha Martini so cocktails seem a good bet here too! Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not greatJaxFigsDined on 18/9/2014I went here with a friend on a Thursday night and whilst the restaurant was very busy, our table wasn't yet ready. We went to the bar to wait while having a cocktail which had a great selection! We waited for 20 minutes without anyone coming back to get us so we went back to check with the front of house about our table which still wasn't ready. By the time we sat down it was nearly an added 30 minutes which we then had to wait again for menus! Our waitress was lovely but very overwhelmed. She recommended a few things on the menu and we had about 6 items to share between us. The first 4 came relatively quickly but then the last 2 didn't show up at which point we even forgot about it like the waitress. Great food but service needs workSpecial Features:
- Kurobuta saketasticJustKateDined on 15/9/2014Small tasting plates make this the ideal place if you like to try lots of different flavours, good range of sake and surprisingly delicious deserts ( in fact some of the best I have had in a long time). I left feeling pleasantly full and warmly happy. (Ps order the sweet potato fries) .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SANGHADined on 14/9/2014food was good. really enjoyed the Prawn Tempura dish. Ribs was bit of a let down. Over cooked and a little bit charred. Service good. was nice and busy, good atmos. i would defo recommend checking it out.Special Features:
- Great Food!!!SBandCoDined on 13/9/2014Had a really good evening and the food was great. Very original dishes and very tasty. We will definitely be back as we want to try them all!! Only 1 tiny gripe was that the wine we ordered was out of stock and the 2nd choice took a while to come so we started our meal without a drinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want to avoid the noisechrismwVIPDined on 13/9/2014and a communal table, go at 12.15 on a Saturday. No noise and no people except one other couple. The food is indeed good but we felt too expensive and compared to A. Wong (OK that is Chinese but so much better value) not interesting enough to justify the prices. Go simply to tick the box but we were slightly bewildered at all the acclaim this place has attracted. Perhaps it feels different when packed AND YOU HAVE TO SHOUT to make youself heard?
- Rock and Roll Japanese!Ruthie2Dined on 12/9/2014So much more than sushi... You must try the Jerusalem artichoke chopsticks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceebgkDined on 9/9/2014Having been to the pop-up in Chelsea earlier this year, we decided to try to Marble Arch venue. And as before it was great service and food! Will definitely continue going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.