Kurobuta Marble Arch
17-20 Kendal street
London, W2 2AWNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £26 to £40
Kurobuta Marble Arch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kurobuta-london.com/
- Phone: 02034754158x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Scott Hallsworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kurobuta Marble Arch
Thank you for choosing Kurobuta Marble Arch, a Japanese Izakaya restaurant. We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Kurobuta Marble Arch - Best restaurants in Marble Arch ›
Kurobuta Marble Arch reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since 3 June 2014
fit for foodies (158)special occasions (69)group bookings (64)good vegetarian options (44)business meals (35)romance (34)outdoor eating (29)brunch (19)outstanding value (15)sunday lunch (14)child friendly (11)pre/post theatre (11)disabled access (6)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Excellent fusion with a twistBCParisDined on 28/9/2014I enjoyed tremendously the Sashimi Pizza, Nasu (aubergines ++++), the Duck, the Pork belly bun and if you like fried food have the fries, the edamame and the Shrimp tempuraSpecial Features:
- DeliciousMariaDined on 24/9/2014I love the food here. Highly recommended. The service is very good but not great and the ambience varies but it's generally good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPerkasDined on 21/9/2014Went here for the third time, always amazing food! Really cool venue & the fact that you get to eat while listening to Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins etc. is a big bonus. Amazing food & very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese Tapas-type PlaceJamesDined on 20/9/2014Found out about this place by Googling high quality tuna (?!) and made a booking for late Saturday night. On arrival noted how buzzy the place was and had a really friendly welcome and nice ambiance. Naturally quite busy on a Saturday night but only a slight wait for tables despite us showing up 15 minutes early. Menu looked as good in real life as it did online and everything we ordered was delicious, amazing food combinations and incredible presentation. Wife loved the Green Tea Matcha Martini so cocktails seem a good bet here too! Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not greatJaxFigsDined on 18/9/2014I went here with a friend on a Thursday night and whilst the restaurant was very busy, our table wasn't yet ready. We went to the bar to wait while having a cocktail which had a great selection! We waited for 20 minutes without anyone coming back to get us so we went back to check with the front of house about our table which still wasn't ready. By the time we sat down it was nearly an added 30 minutes which we then had to wait again for menus! Our waitress was lovely but very overwhelmed. She recommended a few things on the menu and we had about 6 items to share between us. The first 4 came relatively quickly but then the last 2 didn't show up at which point we even forgot about it like the waitress. Great food but service needs workSpecial Features:
- Kurobuta saketasticJustKateDined on 15/9/2014Small tasting plates make this the ideal place if you like to try lots of different flavours, good range of sake and surprisingly delicious deserts ( in fact some of the best I have had in a long time). I left feeling pleasantly full and warmly happy. (Ps order the sweet potato fries) .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SANGHADined on 14/9/2014food was good. really enjoyed the Prawn Tempura dish. Ribs was bit of a let down. Over cooked and a little bit charred. Service good. was nice and busy, good atmos. i would defo recommend checking it out.Special Features:
- Great Food!!!SBandCoDined on 13/9/2014Had a really good evening and the food was great. Very original dishes and very tasty. We will definitely be back as we want to try them all!! Only 1 tiny gripe was that the wine we ordered was out of stock and the 2nd choice took a while to come so we started our meal without a drinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want to avoid the noisechrismwVIPDined on 13/9/2014and a communal table, go at 12.15 on a Saturday. No noise and no people except one other couple. The food is indeed good but we felt too expensive and compared to A. Wong (OK that is Chinese but so much better value) not interesting enough to justify the prices. Go simply to tick the box but we were slightly bewildered at all the acclaim this place has attracted. Perhaps it feels different when packed AND YOU HAVE TO SHOUT to make youself heard?
- Rock and Roll Japanese!Ruthie2Dined on 12/9/2014So much more than sushi... You must try the Jerusalem artichoke chopsticks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceebgkDined on 9/9/2014Having been to the pop-up in Chelsea earlier this year, we decided to try to Marble Arch venue. And as before it was great service and food! Will definitely continue going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but keep for special mealOnchanDined on 6/9/2014Ate at Kuobuta on 6th Sept as a special celebration. Had seen plenty of past reviews which were "marmite", ie people love or hate the place. We really liked it. Staff were v. relaxed (& it is very informal) esp as we only had the table for std two hours & the other couple joining us were an hour late. In the event, staff juggled with their seating plan & extended our stay by another hour. That was appreciated.Food was excellent - we had something from each part of the menu & the tastes were diverse and enjoyed by the whole group (inc me as the "picky eater"). Wine is not expensive by London standards, though for me the list was a bit limited if one chose not to indulge in sake (and we did not). Overall, a great night out, though not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, service just goodGordoDined on 5/9/2014We really enjoy the food, tea smoked lamb chops is a must. The place was really buzzing and the staff were just coping, you had to wait to get noticed and be served with a big wait in the middle. Fully recommend it in a quieter day.Special Features:
- Great food...service questionableSSSBVIPDined on 5/9/2014I booked a table for 6 pm. The restaurant called to confirm, I checked how long we had the table for and was advised we had the table till 8 pm. I requested that out table be moved to 6.15 as we would be done by 8 in any event. The receptionist was very rude and advised that if we were not there by 6.15 she would give our table away and also at this time there would be lots of people waiting for a table and we would not get seated. I arrived promptly at 6 from fear of losing my table, the restaurant was empty, no one was waiting. The food was great, except they tried to charge us for a beer we did not order and then again the waitress made accused us of making a mistake when it was her fault. The service really lets the restaurant down.
- Outstanding FoodDeanwilliamgreyDined on 3/9/2014Although service was slow the staff were really friendly. The food though ... Outstanding! Some of the best, and most interesting, food I have eaten in a whole!Special Features:
- A gastronomic gemzimstockDined on 3/9/2014A bit pricey but given the outstanding food..not overly so. Staff is friendly, curteous and attentive so service was very good...The mark of a well run restaurant. Highly recommended for casual atmosphere combined with high gastronomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014Still dreaming about the food, it was amazing. Specially the apple crumble! However, the service let it down a bit, specially when the staff delivering the food could not explain what the food was, and all a bit slow in general. But in overall, amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food but service fairCardiffPhilDined on 1/9/2014Kurobuta was remarkably busy on a wet Monday evening; we requested a separate table for two rather than the places at the shared high table that had been reserved for us, and this was soon found for us by a very helpful front-of-house lady. However we found it difficult to get anyone to take our order; the serving staff were clearly busy but there did not appear to be enough of them. The food is original and special: baby shrimp tempura (more accurately king prawns) were excellent, as was the soft shell crab, miso grilled baby chicken and kombu sea bass. The little wagyu beef sliders were pricey at £19 - so was the house red at £10 per glass! The bill, with added 15% service, was £155.25 for two, only one of us drinking - so not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster Japanese pub foodCDinE1Dined on 1/9/2014Five times the price it should be. Half of the dishes were ok half were really bland. All were too expensive, small portions and completely forgettable. Avoid. Tell others to avoid.
- Brilliant staff, great foodLd61Dined on 31/8/2014Third time here and still haven't found ANYTHING on the menu which falls short of delicious. The staff are fairly laid back but friendly, helpful and efficient. The welcoming receptionist could be a supermodel! Thoroughly recommended (apart perhaps from the background music, which I personally would prefer to be more in the background and less intrusive).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy!!Bob23Dined on 30/8/2014The bad acoustics in this restaurant mean that you have to shout to be heard above the din, which makes for a rather trying experience. The food in the main was good, although the crispy duck skin wasn't crispy and was rather congealed. The most outstanding course was the desserts which were supreme. Overall, I think it is a bit too expensive for what essentially a glorified cafe environment, although given the area it is in money is probably no object.Special Features:
- Not worth the money/no substanceJKLondonDined on 30/8/2014Prices of Roka/Hakassan but food way off par. We had beef (tiny portion for £17 which was chewy and tasteless), crab tempura (more batter than crab), tuna maki (fairly good), chicken wings (not too dissimilar to something at TGIF) and sweet potato fries (best part). Pet peeve, a large glass of coke is £8! The ambience is cold - guys if you want to be 'cool' with loud music, don't stick couples on communal tables so far apart that they can't hear/speak to one another. Our waiter was kind and efficient, the blonde lady however was pretty rude. She seemed put out when asked if we might be able to move as we were sat right the air conditioning unit. If you want fusion Asian dining then I'd suggest Aqua Kyoto or Roka over this place any day.
- Very very good BUT...TheRoyalBerkDined on 29/8/2014The food was outstanding, the service excellent, the value very good BUT the music was too noisy. It was not easy to have a quiet conversation without sharing it with the rest of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014the place was very noisy, air conditioning zooming probably, you could hardly speak. Even though there where hardly any people having lunch, and at least 5 people in the kitchen, It took 2 hours to get our food.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/8/2014Food was creative and very tasty. Menu was very appealing (with each creative dish attractive to order) and the food matched. Delicious (though a little heavy / mayo focused so not the most healthy). Service was outstanding. Very attentive and very friendly. Overall atmosphere is great for a night out with friends or an early dinner with kids.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceLiv1987Dined on 23/8/2014Friendly, hard working staff and a delicious menu. FaultlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing eveningGillVIPDined on 23/8/2014I enjoyed the evening and the food and drinks very much. The food was lovely, well served and light and interesting. I enjoyed the music but I would guess that lots of people don't as it might be intrusive for some. A saketini was nice to start and there were plenty of sake's and wine on offer too. The jelly doughnut dessert was very good tooSpecial Features:
- Special food, ordinary experiencePeterGBDined on 20/8/2014First impression was of front of house staff who were glamorous and ill-informed about what was on the drinks list. Excellent and exciting food in small portions which are jewels. Naturally the price adds up but that is inevitable with that approach and the food is very good. The ambience is ordinary and the staff can be casual and give off a little too much sense of the diner should be grateful to be let in. Being talked through each dish as it arrived was nicely done as they are interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book in now!catherinenzDined on 18/8/2014Went for an early weekday dinner with friends and had a brilliant time. The food is outstanding - particular favourites were the aubergine, beef tataki, tempura soft shell crab and the pork belly steamed buns. While not cheap, the food was definitely worth it. We chose the white Rioja which was reasonably priced and a great choice. Yum yum yum.Special Features:
- DavidLDavidLDined on 17/8/2014Powerful flavours with top quality ingredients. Friendly and attentive staff. I'm not sure who their audience is: I suspect the volume of the heavy rock pounding all evening will keep many older customers away and younger customers may not be able to afford the prices. But a fine eating experience, unlike any other in London that I know of.Special Features:
- Fantastic fooddinerDined on 17/8/2014The food was absolutely delicious, however is on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great ambianceMynameisRedDined on 15/8/2014We had dinner and drinks there and it was amazing. The food was delicious, my friend and I ordered different things and shared to try as many as we can. Portions are a bit small but it didn't matter because we were full after sharing four plates (appetizers I think they were from the front of the menu). Definetely try little hamburgers they have. Also try the drinks as they are equally inventive. The drink that comes with a shot of champagne was nice. The place also had great ambiance in terms of people, interior design and the music. Overall, it was a great experience and I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensive12345VIPDined on 15/8/2014This restaurant got raving reviews in a national newspaper so I thought I would check it out. The food is nice but not incredible and it was very expansive. We paid £85 each for 3 plates, 1 nibble, a cocktail and 3 glasses of sake each. A to off actually. The whole thing should have cost half as much...Special Features:
- loud and disappointingpartydinerDined on 15/8/2014I am afraid this place wasn't what I was expecting. I had read some great reviews and so I wanted to try it When I arrived it felt more like a pub or all bar one experience, very loud and the music was banging. It was a bar rather than a restaurant. My friends were already there and had ordered a drink so we have a few snacks and a drink and decided to move on and eat elsewhere. I think if you are 20 and want to shout over your dinner it is fine. But I am older and on a Friday night want to eat somewhere where I can hear what my fellow diners are saying.
- nice environmentsc78Dined on 13/8/2014very nice atmosphere and vibe, the food is nice but very strong in taste, staff polite and knowledgeableI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but weird venuehariDined on 12/8/2014The food is good if you are fine with non-traditional japanese food. The Wagyu burgers are highly recommended but be warned of the price! The restaurant is very loud and has no ambience at all.Special Features:
- By far one of the best places evercirineDined on 11/8/2014Everything we ordered was absolutely stunning, tasty and filling. Service was outstanding with waitresses lovely and smiley. Cocktails were pretty amazing too. I've been to Kurobuta twice and both times have been an incredible experience. Wish I could go back more often. The food isa bit expensive but it's really worth it.Special Features:
- great sushiRichahDined on 11/8/2014Loved the food, great quality. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The only comment is that it was quite noise in terms of other people's conversations stopping you heating your own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annamk53Dined on 10/8/2014We chose the restaurant because of all the good reviews but we felt as though we must have been eating in a different restaurant. The sticky buns with pork were nice enough but at the same price the Opera Tavern mini burgers are far superior. The sauce that came with the duck & watermelon salad tasted the same as that served with the pork buns which was disappointing. The salad needed more watermelon to offset the richness of the duck: E&O restaurants do a far better version of this dish. The soft shell crab sushi was fine but no better than an average sushi restaurant and twice the price. The music was of the disco variety and loud, the staff seemed to be enjoying it though so may it was for their benefit rather than for their customers.
- Crushingly averageLudditeDined on 8/8/2014There are far better (although admittedly pricier) Japanese restaurants to eat atSpecial Features: