Kurobuta Marble Arch
17-20 Kendal street
London, W2 2AWNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £26 to £40
Kurobuta Marble Arch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kurobuta-london.com/
- Phone: 020 3475 4158
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Scott Hallsworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kurobuta Marble Arch
Thank you for choosing Kurobuta Marble Arch, a Japanese Izakaya restaurant. We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Kurobuta Marble Arch - Best restaurants in Marble Arch ›
Kurobuta Marble Arch reviews from OpenTable diners
349 reviews since 23 November 2013
fit for foodies (212)special occasions (98)group bookings (95)good vegetarian options (58)romance (47)business meals (46)outdoor eating (31)brunch (22)pre/post theatre (20)outstanding value (19)sunday lunch (17)child friendly (15)disabled access (8)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Decent food, great spaceckc1234Dined on 17/11/2014Dishes were hit or miss, but overall decent. Space was big and comfortable with friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was phenomenal. Server great and friendly.pepperDined on 16/11/2014A MUST visit that'll eventually knock Nobu, Zuma and Roku off their pedestals as the New Asian Fusion in town. Great friendly knowledgeable staff and fun funky atmosphere make for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- below averageAdrianDined on 15/11/2014The food was average at best. A nobu knock off...i guess you get what you pay for. Of the 7 dishes we ordered, 1 was sent back and 1 was of high quality...the rest was extremely disappointing. For example: tuna sashimi pizza was a tortilla chip with poor quality sashimi...doesnt to justice to either mexican, japanese or italian cuisine. AVOID
- LucullusDined on 15/11/2014Food was absolutely fantastic, excellent service, v informal and non-stuffy but super efficient and friendly - we were put at a shared bar table which was not ideal but it was well spaced enough for our neighbours not to be intrusive, my wife who has a dodgy back couldn't manage the high bar stools so ate standing up - might be an idea to specify a proper table if this is going to be an issue. But the food more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible service.ClaudiaDined on 13/11/2014Food was great. Our server was horrible, she made us truly feel unwelcome. Every minute she kept asking us if we were finished with our food and constantly tried to clear our plates even if our dishes were clearly only half eaten. We did not enjoy as much as we felt our server was trying to kick us out the whole time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something to try but not sure if I will repeatarantxaVIPDined on 12/11/2014Food was good, but there is a bbq smell when you leave on all your clothes. Also I ordered some sake. The little cup they brought was chipped so I asked for a new one.... they brought me another one also chipped.....Food is ok, but a bit expensive for what you eat. Interesting concept though and quite lively, so not a bad option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodnb12Dined on 11/11/20144 of us went for dinner and thought the food was fantastic - great for sharing and there wasn't one dish we didn't like. The best dishes were the pork belly buns and beef tataki with garlic crisps, as well as the tuna sashimi pizza. Only negative was the service was pretty slow at the beginning. We sat for a while and eventually had to find someone to come and take our drinks orders and the restaurant was empty at that point. However once the restaurant filled up, the service was much better.Special Features:
- Food is good, but...JanellDined on 10/11/2014Although it's not authentic Japanese, food is quite good. However, the place is very noisy with loud music. So it's not a place for chatting, definitely not for business meetings. Probably good for young people, but I've lost my voice by shouting instead of talking. We'd come back if they play nice jazz or ambient music instead. Waiters are very friendly and nice. A runner boy amazingly knew all about their menu while waiters had to ask questions to chef.Special Features:
- Wow!Food4majDined on 8/11/2014Totally fabulous food, from the simple chargrilled edamame to the crispest tastiest tempura to (my highlight) the tuna sashimi pizza. Wow wow wow. Topped off with great service . Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingTdv92Dined on 8/11/2014We went there after gisiting chelsea branch which was good experience. The lamb chops were burnt and they charged us twise for service. Good biance however not good food. Seemed something absolutely dofferent from what we saw in the chelsea branch
- Great foodSharonVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great food and cocktails as well as nice service however it can get slightly noisy sometimes. In general, I very much enjoyed the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, music too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Food, service, drinks all great, only downside was that music was too loud in addition to people's voices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just brilliant - and different.PhilWDined on 7/11/2014Been a couple of times now and it doesn't fail to please. Still has enough left on the menu that we've not tasted to do 2 or 3 more visits! Wine is very pricey though - especially by the glass so best to buy a bottle if you're going to have more than 4 glasses the same. But thats not to say don't go as the food is just brilliant.Special Features:
- Expensive but deliciousNikkiRDined on 5/11/2014The costs do rack up very quickly, but the food was very tasty, innovative and interestingSpecial Features:
- No Fear of FlavoursGreekGuyDined on 30/10/2014This restaurant serves very good food - it's not cheap, but it's definitely cheerful and it's refreshingly different. Yellowtail Samshimi was a particular standout, with the Crispy Duck coming a close second. The atmosphere is vibrant, not sedate, and informal rather than refined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality, relaxed & friendlyRLM77Dined on 29/10/2014Super high quality food, as one would expect from Scott Hallsworth, but in an informal and relaxed setting. The staff are extremely conscientious and regularly check in to make sure you have everything you need. The communal seating on the high tables is spacious enough that you can enjoy your food without fear of elbowing the next diner's beer and the low lighting provides a homely ambiance. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Just gets betterkitkatVIPDined on 29/10/2014Japanese pub food with a chilli kimchi punch. Sensational!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese deliciousnesstuckmystirVIPDined on 27/10/2014so delicious. Pork buns superb melt in the mouth meat - not sure about bbq sauce bit over powering. Soft shell crab outstanding. Lavender creme brulee good but too many flavours with the shortbread and other bits going on. Good sake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place needs a Michelin star...DiningCrewDined on 23/10/2014Every mouthful was a taste sensation, even the simplest of dishes like the tempura pumpkin was amazing. As well as the usual Japanese dishes that you would expect on the menu, cooked to perfection, they also had some really delicious surprises, with food combinations I never would have thought of but worked exquisitely. And the puddings, wow, definitely get a pudding. All that and the staff were delightful, needless to say I will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTinglingTastebudsDined on 23/10/2014We were looking for a special night for a birthday celebration for a family of foodies and Kurobuta nailed every requirement. i think we managed to order nearly everything on the menu and every single dish was incredible. So well seasoned, flavoured and succulent. The wagyu beef sliders were insanely good! My family, a hard crowd to please were fighting over the last little crispy bit on every sharing plate. I loved the sharing element as you get to taste more food. Great cocktails too! The staff were spot on, attentive but with a casual vibe. Great table in the booth area provided for us which made the evening more intimate. Could not find any fault with the place will definitely be going back and recommending to all my friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodmiminaDined on 23/10/2014Incredible food but it's too loud and noisy, they blast heavy metal in the restaurant so you have to shout at your friends to hear each other.
- Excellent food, poor serviceMKMKDined on 23/10/2014The food was simply outstanding. We absolutely loved every dish that we ordered. Now, the service was a whole different experience. It reminded me of being in a really pushy restaurant in the US. The server simply did not give us any room to breathe from the minute we sat down. He kept coming back every two minutes to check-in, or simply walk by with a look that indicated that he was eager to turn the table. We had a table for four and per the reservation, we were allocated two hours. About an hour in, we were already feeling pressured to leave. The server offered to clear our plates never mind the fact they still had food on them, and nothing in our demeanor indicated that we were done. If only he would have let us enjoy our meal in peaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Marble ArchWallhoffDined on 22/10/2014We went for a mid week catch up/dinner and we have added a new favorite to our long lists. The staff was so welcoming and gave us some good recommendations. The food is very innovative and the combination of flavoures just work great. Our favorite was the Tuna sashimi pizza, sounds crazy, but oh so delicious. We had a hard time choosing as everything looked amazing, both on the menu and on neighboring tables, so we will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Japanese Fusion Tapas-styleawcroydonDined on 21/10/2014Amazing food served tapas-style in a trendy and interesting environment. Some stunning fusion dishes and while some dishes weren't as exciting as others, there were no really bum notes. Sashimi pizza a stand-out, superb. Possibly the best desserts anywhere. Not for the weak-walleted.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great atmosphereJohnDined on 20/10/2014Really interesting and tasty Japanese dishes, fun and not at all pretentious atmosphere with super friendly staff. Highly recommend.
- OkakigVIPDined on 18/10/2014By japanese standards, one of the dishes was good - the scallop sashimi with tobiko but the rest was average. However it was overpriced for what it is and the service became super slow as the restaurant started to fill. Definitely not worth £120 for a casual dinner for two in a pub like setting with only one drink each. I would be happy to pay £80 at the most for two with the current food and service standards.
- Great addition to the arearaleighreesVIPDined on 18/10/2014Can't fault the food - fresh, innovative , creative - yummy Lunch is a bit more youthful a crowd then dinner and the music playing reflected this. I'm clearly getting old but column was to loud and the pumping bass a bit distracting - like the staff turned up the music for their set up and then forgot to turn it down when the doors openedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulinegDined on 17/10/2014Buzz, vibe, food...everything was perfect! We weren't expecting anything and had a fabulous night. The food was absolutely DELICIOUS! We were 2 and shared 7 dishes and paid £86 which was a bargain comparing to other famous Japanese restaurants. I recommend the sashimi pizza!
- Kurobuta FailbettybDined on 16/10/2014I booked a table for 3 people at 8:30 about 2 weeks beforehand with a request for a nice table for a special celebration. We arrived and waited to be greeted by the hostess, who was clearly flustered. She found our reservation and we were made to stand for 5 mins while she and a coworker tried to figure what was happening.Eventually she decided to acknowledge us again and said our table was not ready yet and to wait at the bar. The bar was full and we were stood in front of a rice cooker. I complained and we were moved to a high table. Atmosphere was terrible, music was loud, the service was messy, and they completely ignored my request for a nice table. I would not recommend it the food was ok, tiny portions and overpriced.Special Features:
- Amazing and creativefoodieDined on 16/10/2014Wonderful Japanese sharing style food. We had a great selection of food, stand out dishes included the tuna sashimi pizza and the gravadlax and avocado tartar. Good service and great cocktails meant it provides a 5* experience in all respects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat yourselfFoodie68Dined on 16/10/2014I visited Kurobuta Marble Arch with my wife and a friend, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We booked on a Thursday night, and the atmosphere was buzzing, but not so much so as to impede the conversation. The food was excellent, particularly the unagi tempura, bbq chicken, and soft-shell crab maki. We also tried a few cocktails and some saki, all of which were a great match for the food. The service was outstanding, with our table being available as soon as we arrived, prompt delivery of our orders, and multiple servers checking in to make sure everything was fine with the meal. As noted by other diners, the food is a bit pricey, but well worth the occasional treat, and I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best japanese pub food everkitkatVIPDined on 16/10/2014great buzzing vibe, super attentive staff, but best thing really is the sensational food. small plates of exquisite deliciousness,intense umami taste, the only slight gripe is the bill adds up if you want to try the whole menu, as you most certainly will! Pumpink tempura so delicious and light and crispy, lamb chops so sweetly smokey, an aubergine so sweet you could have it for desert. and then the deserts, which you wouldn't normally have to save room for in japanse restaurtants; the pistachio cake with candied hazelnuts, chocolate sauce was the best combination ever. staff so attentive, that when they thought we were complaining about a cocktail, replaced it with a free one, even though we weren't complaining - that's excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Good Food and serviceRomeo777Dined on 15/10/2014Great sashimi and sushi, however they could improve on the robata quality – the wings and the ribs were below average. Was over all a very good meal but unfortunately it is not one that i would go out of my way for. Overall, I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys Japanese food and enjoys trying new places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food but service is like a pubSN2014Dined on 14/10/2014Ordered 6 dishes. All arrived in a timely manner. Then decided to order one more main course and 2 deserts. That took more than 30mins and we had to cancel the dessert when we were told it will take another 15mins. A good timing by the kitchen/waiter could easily solve the trouble. We also ordered a second bottle of sake and had to remind the waitress when it didn't arrive. Overall, food is nice but hampered by poor inattentive service. The atmosphere feels like a canteen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion sceptic but convincedDennisDined on 14/10/2014Normally fusion food for me is chefs who cannot make the real thing well. However Kurobata is different. Casual atmosphere with friendly ambience, with buzz but not too noisy. Easy parking. Excellent food without the usual fusion food that either do not work or insulting to the original cuisine culture. Was recommended by a friend to try it. Outstanding and going on my favourites list. Only one slight critic... the wine list could be more comprehensive... but then I have 3 professional wine qualifications so it may be just me being too demanding!Special Features:
- Not bad but a tad budget busting...DigfoodDined on 14/10/2014Lovely food, nice environment and friendly staff. However, fine dinning prices in a canteen style and informal restaurant/environment wouldn't be to everyones liking. The environment is like Wagamama, the prices are the opposite. However, with that said, the food was great and the service likewise, but I left with the knowledge I won't be returning anytime soon...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/10/2014Good Japanese food for London, but not outstanding. Service was friendly, though was a little slow at times (took 20 minutes for us to order after being seated). Overall an enjoyable night.Special Features:
- WonderfulSalsfoodDined on 12/10/2014We were looking forward to the meal having read reviews and we weren't disappointed. Could have chosen everything on the menu and what we did have was wonderful. Will be back as soon as back in London, no question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with buzzy atmosphereLCrosbieDined on 11/10/2014We really enjoyed the food here. Particular highlights were the lamb, the pork belly, the mushrooms with Gorgonzola and the edamame with sake and butter. The only disappointing dish was the squid. Would recommend a visit
- OutstandingAJMWDined on 9/10/2014Kurobata's food is excellent: innovative and delicious. The Sashimi pizza is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.