Kurobuta Marble Arch
17-20 Kendal street
London, W2 2AWNeighbourhood:
JapanesePrice: £26 to £40
Kurobuta Marble Arch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kurobuta-london.com/
- Phone: 02034754158x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Scott Hallsworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kurobuta Marble Arch
Thank you for choosing Kurobuta Marble Arch, a Japanese Izakaya restaurant. We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Kurobuta Marble Arch - Best restaurants in Marble Arch ›
Kurobuta Marble Arch reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since 23 October 2013
fit for foodies (179)special occasions (81)group bookings (75)good vegetarian options (48)business meals (42)romance (40)outdoor eating (31)brunch (20)outstanding value (16)sunday lunch (15)pre/post theatre (13)child friendly (12)disabled access (7)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Delicious food, great atmosphereJohnDined on 20/10/2014Really interesting and tasty Japanese dishes, fun and not at all pretentious atmosphere with super friendly staff. Highly recommend.
- Great addition to the arearaleighreesVIPDined on 18/10/2014Can't fault the food - fresh, innovative , creative - yummy Lunch is a bit more youthful a crowd then dinner and the music playing reflected this. I'm clearly getting old but column was to loud and the pumping bass a bit distracting - like the staff turned up the music for their set up and then forgot to turn it down when the doors openedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulinegDined on 17/10/2014Buzz, vibe, food...everything was perfect! We weren't expecting anything and had a fabulous night. The food was absolutely DELICIOUS! We were 2 and shared 7 dishes and paid £86 which was a bargain comparing to other famous Japanese restaurants. I recommend the sashimi pizza!
- Kurobuta FailbettybDined on 16/10/2014I booked a table for 3 people at 8:30 about 2 weeks beforehand with a request for a nice table for a special celebration. We arrived and waited to be greeted by the hostess, who was clearly flustered. She found our reservation and we were made to stand for 5 mins while she and a coworker tried to figure what was happening.Eventually she decided to acknowledge us again and said our table was not ready yet and to wait at the bar. The bar was full and we were stood in front of a rice cooker. I complained and we were moved to a high table. Atmosphere was terrible, music was loud, the service was messy, and they completely ignored my request for a nice table. I would not recommend it the food was ok, tiny portions and overpriced.Special Features:
- Amazing and creativefoodieDined on 16/10/2014Wonderful Japanese sharing style food. We had a great selection of food, stand out dishes included the tuna sashimi pizza and the gravadlax and avocado tartar. Good service and great cocktails meant it provides a 5* experience in all respects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat yourselfFoodie68Dined on 16/10/2014I visited Kurobuta Marble Arch with my wife and a friend, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We booked on a Thursday night, and the atmosphere was buzzing, but not so much so as to impede the conversation. The food was excellent, particularly the unagi tempura, bbq chicken, and soft-shell crab maki. We also tried a few cocktails and some saki, all of which were a great match for the food. The service was outstanding, with our table being available as soon as we arrived, prompt delivery of our orders, and multiple servers checking in to make sure everything was fine with the meal. As noted by other diners, the food is a bit pricey, but well worth the occasional treat, and I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best japanese pub food everkitkatVIPDined on 16/10/2014great buzzing vibe, super attentive staff, but best thing really is the sensational food. small plates of exquisite deliciousness,intense umami taste, the only slight gripe is the bill adds up if you want to try the whole menu, as you most certainly will! Pumpink tempura so delicious and light and crispy, lamb chops so sweetly smokey, an aubergine so sweet you could have it for desert. and then the deserts, which you wouldn't normally have to save room for in japanse restaurtants; the pistachio cake with candied hazelnuts, chocolate sauce was the best combination ever. staff so attentive, that when they thought we were complaining about a cocktail, replaced it with a free one, even though we weren't complaining - that's excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Good Food and serviceRomeo777Dined on 15/10/2014Great sashimi and sushi, however they could improve on the robata quality – the wings and the ribs were below average. Was over all a very good meal but unfortunately it is not one that i would go out of my way for. Overall, I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys Japanese food and enjoys trying new places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food but service is like a pubSN2014Dined on 14/10/2014Ordered 6 dishes. All arrived in a timely manner. Then decided to order one more main course and 2 deserts. That took more than 30mins and we had to cancel the dessert when we were told it will take another 15mins. A good timing by the kitchen/waiter could easily solve the trouble. We also ordered a second bottle of sake and had to remind the waitress when it didn't arrive. Overall, food is nice but hampered by poor inattentive service. The atmosphere feels like a canteen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion sceptic but convincedDennisDined on 14/10/2014Normally fusion food for me is chefs who cannot make the real thing well. However Kurobata is different. Casual atmosphere with friendly ambience, with buzz but not too noisy. Easy parking. Excellent food without the usual fusion food that either do not work or insulting to the original cuisine culture. Was recommended by a friend to try it. Outstanding and going on my favourites list. Only one slight critic... the wine list could be more comprehensive... but then I have 3 professional wine qualifications so it may be just me being too demanding!Special Features:
- Not bad but a tad budget busting...DigfoodDined on 14/10/2014Lovely food, nice environment and friendly staff. However, fine dinning prices in a canteen style and informal restaurant/environment wouldn't be to everyones liking. The environment is like Wagamama, the prices are the opposite. However, with that said, the food was great and the service likewise, but I left with the knowledge I won't be returning anytime soon...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/10/2014Good Japanese food for London, but not outstanding. Service was friendly, though was a little slow at times (took 20 minutes for us to order after being seated). Overall an enjoyable night.Special Features:
- WonderfulSalsfoodDined on 12/10/2014We were looking forward to the meal having read reviews and we weren't disappointed. Could have chosen everything on the menu and what we did have was wonderful. Will be back as soon as back in London, no question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with buzzy atmosphereLCrosbieDined on 11/10/2014We really enjoyed the food here. Particular highlights were the lamb, the pork belly, the mushrooms with Gorgonzola and the edamame with sake and butter. The only disappointing dish was the squid. Would recommend a visit
- OutstandingAJMWDined on 9/10/2014Kurobata's food is excellent: innovative and delicious. The Sashimi pizza is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excitingly different food (and fun)wandsworth86Dined on 3/10/2014Very different menu with outstanding food. Would recommend the sashimi pizza!! Great vibe and very fun atmosphere on a Friday night in London. Great place to go for dinner as a couple or group of friends.Special Features:
- Too expensive!!wiltsDined on 3/10/2014£190 for 3 diners was too much for what was essentially a posh tapas. Having said that, the flavours were stunning, the buzz and atmosphere enjoyable and lively. Will not be returning, but would give a qualified recommendation, if asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, poor serviceLongluncherDined on 3/10/2014I'd read some amazing reviews of this place and was excited to try it. The food was generally good but not as magical as some had made out. The aubergine is certainly worth trying. However at the prices charged you would expect the food to be good. But you'd also expect good service which was fairly lax, with repeated requests needing to be made for various things (even the bill!). The staff were pleasant but seemed a bit distracted. I was dining with an older companion and we found the background music loud enough to make conversation difficult - we asked if it could be turned down a bit but if it was it made little difference. In summary, we enjoyed our pricey meal but we won't be rushing back.
- Great food, service a bit slowLovetoeatDined on 1/10/2014We went on a Wednesday night, it was busy but not packed and there was a buzzy atmosphere. The food was really, really good and I would highly recommend going - however, when we went service was very slow, we waited 30 mins for our drinks (by which stage some of our food had already arrived and been eaten) and when we asked for the dessert menu we were told there was a 25 minute wait. A bit disappointing however the food did make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time let down!HahnDined on 1/10/2014This was my second visit to Kurobuta and I had a 6.30 table. The place was only 1/2 full yet they proceeded to bring all, and I mean ALL the dishes, we ordered out to our table within a 10 minute window. Even when our table was overflowing and we had started to place some of them on a neighbouring table to make a point, the dishes still kept coming out! Now the first of the dishes we had were fantastic but the later dishes... once they had gotten cold, didn't match those standards understandably... such a disappointment after my first visit there was awesome... Hopefully just a service glitch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fusion with a twistBCParisDined on 28/9/2014I enjoyed tremendously the Sashimi Pizza, Nasu (aubergines ++++), the Duck, the Pork belly bun and if you like fried food have the fries, the edamame and the Shrimp tempuraSpecial Features:
- DeliciousMariaDined on 24/9/2014I love the food here. Highly recommended. The service is very good but not great and the ambience varies but it's generally good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPerkasDined on 21/9/2014Went here for the third time, always amazing food! Really cool venue & the fact that you get to eat while listening to Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins etc. is a big bonus. Amazing food & very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese Tapas-type PlaceJamesDined on 20/9/2014Found out about this place by Googling high quality tuna (?!) and made a booking for late Saturday night. On arrival noted how buzzy the place was and had a really friendly welcome and nice ambiance. Naturally quite busy on a Saturday night but only a slight wait for tables despite us showing up 15 minutes early. Menu looked as good in real life as it did online and everything we ordered was delicious, amazing food combinations and incredible presentation. Wife loved the Green Tea Matcha Martini so cocktails seem a good bet here too! Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not greatJaxFigsDined on 18/9/2014I went here with a friend on a Thursday night and whilst the restaurant was very busy, our table wasn't yet ready. We went to the bar to wait while having a cocktail which had a great selection! We waited for 20 minutes without anyone coming back to get us so we went back to check with the front of house about our table which still wasn't ready. By the time we sat down it was nearly an added 30 minutes which we then had to wait again for menus! Our waitress was lovely but very overwhelmed. She recommended a few things on the menu and we had about 6 items to share between us. The first 4 came relatively quickly but then the last 2 didn't show up at which point we even forgot about it like the waitress. Great food but service needs workSpecial Features:
- Kurobuta saketasticJustKateDined on 15/9/2014Small tasting plates make this the ideal place if you like to try lots of different flavours, good range of sake and surprisingly delicious deserts ( in fact some of the best I have had in a long time). I left feeling pleasantly full and warmly happy. (Ps order the sweet potato fries) .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SANGHADined on 14/9/2014food was good. really enjoyed the Prawn Tempura dish. Ribs was bit of a let down. Over cooked and a little bit charred. Service good. was nice and busy, good atmos. i would defo recommend checking it out.Special Features:
- Great Food!!!SBandCoDined on 13/9/2014Had a really good evening and the food was great. Very original dishes and very tasty. We will definitely be back as we want to try them all!! Only 1 tiny gripe was that the wine we ordered was out of stock and the 2nd choice took a while to come so we started our meal without a drinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want to avoid the noisechrismwVIPDined on 13/9/2014and a communal table, go at 12.15 on a Saturday. No noise and no people except one other couple. The food is indeed good but we felt too expensive and compared to A. Wong (OK that is Chinese but so much better value) not interesting enough to justify the prices. Go simply to tick the box but we were slightly bewildered at all the acclaim this place has attracted. Perhaps it feels different when packed AND YOU HAVE TO SHOUT to make youself heard?
- Rock and Roll Japanese!Ruthie2Dined on 12/9/2014So much more than sushi... You must try the Jerusalem artichoke chopsticks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceebgkDined on 9/9/2014Having been to the pop-up in Chelsea earlier this year, we decided to try to Marble Arch venue. And as before it was great service and food! Will definitely continue going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but keep for special mealOnchanDined on 6/9/2014Ate at Kuobuta on 6th Sept as a special celebration. Had seen plenty of past reviews which were "marmite", ie people love or hate the place. We really liked it. Staff were v. relaxed (& it is very informal) esp as we only had the table for std two hours & the other couple joining us were an hour late. In the event, staff juggled with their seating plan & extended our stay by another hour. That was appreciated.Food was excellent - we had something from each part of the menu & the tastes were diverse and enjoyed by the whole group (inc me as the "picky eater"). Wine is not expensive by London standards, though for me the list was a bit limited if one chose not to indulge in sake (and we did not). Overall, a great night out, though not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, service just goodGordoDined on 5/9/2014We really enjoy the food, tea smoked lamb chops is a must. The place was really buzzing and the staff were just coping, you had to wait to get noticed and be served with a big wait in the middle. Fully recommend it in a quieter day.Special Features:
- Great food...service questionableSSSBVIPDined on 5/9/2014I booked a table for 6 pm. The restaurant called to confirm, I checked how long we had the table for and was advised we had the table till 8 pm. I requested that out table be moved to 6.15 as we would be done by 8 in any event. The receptionist was very rude and advised that if we were not there by 6.15 she would give our table away and also at this time there would be lots of people waiting for a table and we would not get seated. I arrived promptly at 6 from fear of losing my table, the restaurant was empty, no one was waiting. The food was great, except they tried to charge us for a beer we did not order and then again the waitress made accused us of making a mistake when it was her fault. The service really lets the restaurant down.
- Outstanding FoodDeanwilliamgreyDined on 3/9/2014Although service was slow the staff were really friendly. The food though ... Outstanding! Some of the best, and most interesting, food I have eaten in a whole!Special Features:
- A gastronomic gemzimstockVIPDined on 3/9/2014A bit pricey but given the outstanding food..not overly so. Staff is friendly, curteous and attentive so service was very good...The mark of a well run restaurant. Highly recommended for casual atmosphere combined with high gastronomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014Still dreaming about the food, it was amazing. Specially the apple crumble! However, the service let it down a bit, specially when the staff delivering the food could not explain what the food was, and all a bit slow in general. But in overall, amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food but service fairCardiffPhilDined on 1/9/2014Kurobuta was remarkably busy on a wet Monday evening; we requested a separate table for two rather than the places at the shared high table that had been reserved for us, and this was soon found for us by a very helpful front-of-house lady. However we found it difficult to get anyone to take our order; the serving staff were clearly busy but there did not appear to be enough of them. The food is original and special: baby shrimp tempura (more accurately king prawns) were excellent, as was the soft shell crab, miso grilled baby chicken and kombu sea bass. The little wagyu beef sliders were pricey at £19 - so was the house red at £10 per glass! The bill, with added 15% service, was £155.25 for two, only one of us drinking - so not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster Japanese pub foodCDinE1Dined on 1/9/2014Five times the price it should be. Half of the dishes were ok half were really bland. All were too expensive, small portions and completely forgettable. Avoid. Tell others to avoid.
- Brilliant staff, great foodLd61Dined on 31/8/2014Third time here and still haven't found ANYTHING on the menu which falls short of delicious. The staff are fairly laid back but friendly, helpful and efficient. The welcoming receptionist could be a supermodel! Thoroughly recommended (apart perhaps from the background music, which I personally would prefer to be more in the background and less intrusive).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.