Kyloe Restaurant & Grill
1-3 Rutland Street
Edinburgh, EH1 2AENeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Kyloe Restaurant & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kyloerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 01312293402
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Kyloe Restaurant & Grill
Edinburgh’s first gourmet steak restaurant, Kyloe Restaurant and Grill is found within The Rutland Hotel in the city’s West End, complete with castle views. Kyloe is an old Scots word for Highland cattle, chosen to represent the strength and versatility of the restaurant’s main event. Supplied by Scotland’s top farms, the Kyloe Restaurant and Grill uses cuts from pedigree Aberdeen Angus, taking provenance, rigorous approaches to breeding and handling and heritage seriously in order to bring customers the ultimate steak dining experience. Kyloe’s award winning head chef David Haetzman uses a selection of traditional cuts as well as some more unusual cuts chosen for texture and flavour in an innovative grill menu while his a la carte features seasonal Scottish produce simply prepared to produce compelling dishes. Haetzman’s creations are complemented by the works of in house pastry chef Amanda Jordan and a unique and interesting wine list sourced through a number of merchants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kyloe Restaurant & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since 6 May 2014
business meals (19)special occasions (19)fit for foodies (13)romance (9)group bookings (9)sunday lunch (8)pre/post theatre (6)brunch (3)afternoon tea (2)good vegetarian options (2)outstanding value (2)child friendly (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- BEST STEAK EVERloveditDined on 25/8/2014GREAT meal, exceptional service!! The food was prepared so well. Ask for the meat to be shown to you before you order, it is a great experience. The waitress we had was lovely, very attentive. Definitely would go back. Pricey but worth every penceSpecial Features:
- Fantastic steaksRoddyVIPDined on 13/8/2014Outstanding meal at Kyloe. The cote de boeuf was fabulous, as were the mussels. Wine list also impressive and reasonably priced. Only mild disappointment was the dessert, but to be honest there wasnt much room for anything by then anyway!!Special Features:
- ExcellentprettycoolVIPDined on 29/7/2014...........as always. Very good menu with excellent choiceSpecial Features:
- If you love steak...embicasDined on 8/7/2014You must come here! Great selection of steak and not too overpriced. Loved the deco, very classy. And the bar downstairs is good for a visit too. I hear you can get offers here quite frequently so do look online when booking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Day out in EdinburghEvlemkeDined on 19/5/2014We decided to have a day out as a family in Edinburgh, myself my husband and our two teenagers. Having seen Kyloe Resteraunt when we had been in Edinburgh many times we decided to book for the four of us. We were looking forward to having a lovely steak especially the 55 day aged rump steak. Well to say we were disappointed is an understatement, the steak was nothing to write home about we've cooked better steaks in the house. The price was astronomical £234 for 4 granted there was a £32 bottle of wine in that price. We've been we tried it we won't be back and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.evlemke
- Tasty lunchweezieDined on 25/4/2014My two friends and I enjoyed our recent lunch very much. The price was around what we expect to pay for a lunch and the restaurant itself was very comfortable. Finding the entrance was a bit problematic.Special Features:
- Good but not perfectSpiriDined on 24/4/2014Very friendly but too expensive for the value. + they showed and explained the different types of meat - the table was awkwardly prepared for five. The fifth person would face to no one. We proposed a change which they did. Two of the steaks were medium instead of medium/raw. We waited more than 30 min for the main course to come. There was no warning for the delay as if this is normal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality meat at it's bestMeatmanDined on 9/4/2014Been to this restaurant a few times now and the quality of the food and service never lets you down. Personally I prefer Kyloe to Gaucho - and that is some endorsement. The staff are excellent and have a thorough knowledge of every dish and can guide non-meat folks through the potential minefield of choices. The range of non-steak dishes could perhaps do with a bit of attention but that is only a minor point. Overall a great choice for steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick lunch at KyloeEdinburgheaters2Dined on 20/3/2014Booked this at the last min and wasn't disappointed. The food was lovely, chose the veggie option although I'm not, the service was exceptional, couldn't have wished for kinder more attentive folk, the place was busy with a nice atmosphere and we were given a window table. All of this lead to a very pleasant lunch. Well done them and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for foodies!wanderingdinerDined on 27/2/2014Kyloe was an extremely pleasant experience. The decor and ambience is fantastic. The waitresses were very attentive without being obtrusive. Good choice of food and if you're a meat lover - excellent! Overall, a great night with friends and would highly recommend people visit Kyloe when in Edinburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodGekkoDined on 2/2/2014I'm not a big meat person but I loved this place. The waitress brought the steak cuts to the table and went through the provenance of each one. The resulting meal was delicious - simply prepared, allowing the meat to speak for itself. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and was a real find during our stay in Edinburgh.Special Features:
- This was the first time weRA08Dined on 31/1/2014This was the first time we visited this restaurant and we will definitely go back. We all had steaks which came cooked exactly to haw we asked for them. The staff were very friendly and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyloveourgrubDined on 24/1/2014We enjoyed our meal at the Kyloe.Shared a starter of rabbit terrine which was quite good,nice to try something different. Had chateaubriand,which was good,but nothing to write home about...not worth the money.Shared onion rings,good to start with,but turned greasy,dripping chips,wouldn't get again,cabbage with bacon,was ok,but watery in the bottom. Shared cheesecake,which was average.Wine was average,but ridiculously overpriced. Have to say service was very good,but the amount of money it cost,the food didn't merit. It was a special occasion,but don't think we would return,as we felt it was overpriced,and there are plenty more places to try.Special Features:
- We had a really nice steakseanDined on 9/1/2014We had a really nice steak here - cooked to perfection. I think the pricing should really include some vegetables like fries etc , but nontheless a greta place to eat .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fixed price Good ValueBiadhsgoinnealDined on 27/11/2013We went to Kyloe because after a long gap in time it was offering a fixed price menu again. The food was very good and the fact that coffee was included was much appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was excellent - oneshennaDined on 23/11/2013Steak was excellent - one of the best I've ever eaten! Great restaurant ,lovely staff. I would recommend.Special Features:
- lunch tuesdayalanDined on 6/11/2013staff good and accommodating having to put back booked time well cooked food at value pricingSpecial Features:
- the food was very good withupperdysartDined on 10/10/2013the food was very good with a good choice on the menu,we all enjoyed what we recieved and the explanation of how the meat was cooked.service was with a smile and also very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerCapitalGirlDined on 23/9/2013We treated ourselves to the sirloin on the bone steak for two to celebrate my partner's birthday and were delighted with this selection from the many tempting choices on the menu. An extra side or two was definitely required for variety but after sharing a couple of delicious starters there was no need to look at the puddings options! Our waitress was fantastic and seemed to have a sixth sense to know when we needed something and when to give us space to enjoy the occasion. There was no pressure to rush in fact we felt very at ease relaxing with a lovely bottle of red. Thanks to all at Khyloe for a fantastic evening. Sure we'll be back for another special event!Special Features:
- FoodLindaDined on 21/9/2013Thought food was very good although jug of sauce for steak was tiny. Extra veg eg mushrooms very small portion or what you paid. A good restaurant but a little expensive or the veg extras.Special Features:
- Oh WellBeenthereDined on 13/9/2013Made reservations many weeks before departing US for special occasion, table provided and service were both a bit disappointing. Food was good; however, regarding upper scale restaurants the beef was slightly above average for Northern Europe but below average for North America (Canada and US) and South America (Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile).
- The following 507 reviews are from the Kyloe Restaurant & Grill reviews archive.
- Very poorShuggDined on 25/8/2013It's all gone downhill since the refurb, sorry to say. After seating, it took an age to get a menu and then no offer of drinks, just came for order 15 mins later. On asking about the "whole" fish, I was told that it was not "whole" but lacking the head. Time to think again. Finally ordered Rose Veal 3 ways & Rare Rump Steak. Unbelievably, the Beef Dripping Chips came polluted with masses of salt which we did not ask for or expect. The Veal meatballs were actually inedible, more like rubber balls, for which we got 20% off the food. We would dispute that the Steak was certified & hung, as it lacked in flavour and was slightly tough. The rest of the Veal was ok, however. For a place that sets itself as high quality, they need to look again.
- BEAUTIFUL!fiona1597Dined on 11/8/2013This restaurant is beautiful! It's stylish interior adds to the lovely candlelit luxurious feel. The service is very, very good. Extremely attentive, yet not too intrusive. Oh, and the food is to die for! Don't waste anytime in visiting this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as alwaysRNGMVIPDined on 18/7/2013we were a demanding group with the corner roundtable again they look after you what ever your demands, the chocolate box wine, the bone marrow chips, dont fill your self on starters but you could eat everyoneSpecial Features:
- Great birthday mealF1TomDined on 30/6/2013Great meal in every respect, very good food, great service, and nice relaxed atmosphere. Would return if in Edinburgh again.Special Features:
- Kyloe is where to beDiner2WinerVIPDined on 5/5/2013Top service, food and atmosphere as always. You cant go wrong when dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winning FormulaprettycoolVIPDined on 10/4/2013Excellent combination of service, food and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentpjkelsoDined on 15/3/2013There were 5 people in our party and we all had an excellent 3 course meal. Steaks were outstanding. Waitress was very good and explained cuts of meat and how they should be cooked to be best enjoyed. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service and well1gourmetDined on 12/2/2013Attentive service and well presented delicious foodSpecial Features:
- Amazing steaks!SteveC86Dined on 2/2/2013I had the scallops to start followed by a fillet steak, speechless! Food was brilliant, will definitely be making a trip back to Edinburgh. Topped the meal off with a 21yr old highland park, the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealbigglesDined on 26/1/2013Excellent restaurant with good service, steaks were cooked to perfection and tasted how steak should be. Thoroughly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Meat fest!foodieDined on 20/1/2013Great place to go for a good steak though other good options too. Great chips! Was very quiet, Sunday lunch, though I suspect this was because the bar downstairs is being redone and usual entrance was closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable all roundGarstardDined on 18/1/2013We booked A lunch in January, which was reasonable but unspectacular. The restaurant itself was cold which may have been in part down to the weather on the day, and the bar downstairs was being refurbished, but it made it a little uncomfortable. We all had steaks which were tasty and well cooked, but the side dishes were varied. I was a little disappointed with the tomato salad being too cold for there to be much flavour. But other sides were of better quality, including the mash and roasted root veg. Cheese boards to finish were again hit and miss. 5 different cheeses was a plus, but they were of varied quality. A couple of really good ones would be better than 5 average.Special Features:
- Food not great as expectedLin0523Dined on 3/1/2013We've ordered the steak board and lamb. The steak board came as a smaller portion than expected and tbh not very good steak. The lamb wasn't great neither. A bit disappointed with the overall experience.
- Luncheon1gourmetDined on 19/11/2012We three had a very relaxed lunch with delicious food on Monday 19th November 2012. A favourite dining place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatRegularDined on 31/10/20124th time eating at Kyloe. Fantastic Steak Tartar, but disappointing Rump Steak. Generally, the food has been very good, perhaps a poor cut this time. Would still recommend and hope a one-off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlueMrsBDined on 28/10/2012The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and the staff were very attentive. They did, however, cook my steak far too much. When you ask for blue - you don't expect what I would categorise as medium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Saturday Lunchdougall71Dined on 27/10/2012Had lunch at Kyloe on Saturday 27th October 2012. Very friendly welcome and taken straight to our table. The menu was extensive without being overwhelming and covered all bases for us. I had the soup of the day which was a pretty huge bowl and was really tasty. My dining partner had the crispy beef shin which too was really good. For my main I had the Ayrshire pork three ways and it was all absolutely delicious. My friend had the monkfish which he assures me was excellent. Service was very good and not at all intrusive which we liked. We would defintitley recommend this restaurant and will be going back soon I hope.Special Features:
- Hannah our waitress was fabulous!!SharpyDined on 2/9/2012Hannah our waitress was fabulous!! True credit to the restaurant. Thank you Hannah for looking after us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I eat out a lot but this waschrisinberksDined on 19/8/2012I eat out a lot but this was one of the most delicious and tender steaks I have eaten in a very long time. By comparison the chips were a let down - but that didn't spoil the overall meal which was great. Very friendly and helpful staff. Definitely worth a visit if you like great steaks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.