46 Golborne Road
Notting Hill, London W10 5PRNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lasophia.co.uk/
- Phone: 02089682200x
- Hours of Operation:
Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday
12pm to 2pm
Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday closed for lunch. Note: We open for lunch for tables above 10 people when we are close.
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs
6pm to 10pm
Fri & Sat
6pm to 10.30pm
6pm to 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Halal, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Moe Ali
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, BYO Liquor, Dancing, Entertainment, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering: We accept all credit cards, cheques and cash.
Off-site catering can be arranged in advance. Please check out web site for sample menu's.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday evening.
- Special Events: Private dining room seated 30 people, standing 70 people. Restaurant seats 45 people seated and 70 people standing.
Jazz evenings are often run on a monthly basis.
- Cross Street: North side of Portobello Road
- Public Transit: Westborne Park or Ladbroke Grove
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Plenty of meter parking at the cost of £1.50 per hour. FREE parking after 6:30pm weekdays and after 1:30pm on Saturdays, and all day free parking Sunday. La Sophia is not within the congestion charge zone.
A word from La Sophia
La Sophia is one of London's best kept gastronomic secrets. We combine French Mediterranean cuisine with unique Palestinian ingredients, served up in a popular Notting Hill location. Boasting an entirely Halal menu, our restaurant is an oasis of calm, nestling in the bustle of the Golborne Rd, a mere stones throw from Portobello Road. Our offering is simple - the highest quality French cuisine, a Halal menu, a welcoming rustic vibe, at a reasonable price. Because of this, we've become the go-to destination for foodies seeking a good value fine dining experience. Our dishes are prepared using the highest quality ingredients - the best cuts of meat and unique combinations of ingredients, such as marinated rump of lamb with pearl barley, fresh herb salad, Ras el hanout and yogurt tahini sauce. Alongside classic French dishes like Confit de Canard, Tournedos Rossini and Escargots de BourgogneContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Sophia reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since 2 June 2014
romance (17)fit for foodies (15)special occasions (15)outstanding value (10)group bookings (8)sunday lunch (8)good vegetarian options (6)child friendly (5)business meals (5)pre/post theatre (5)disabled access (2)brunch (1)afternoon tea (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- friday jazz nightpeegeedeeDined on 6/6/2014Booked the 2-course offer for £19.50 and a group of 5 celebrated a birthday on jazz night. The live jazz was great but a bit too loud so drowned out the conversation somewhat but it doesn't go on all night so you can still have conversations! Food was good and our waiter was very patient withv all our chopping and changing. Good atmosphere and we ended up chatting to table next to us too. The byob helps budgeting and they very kindly let us bring a birthday cake at no additional charge. We had a really good evening- we have been there before and would definitely go there again - good to go to a local restaurant for a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant Great Foodluve2dineDined on 26/5/2014Me and my partner went to La Sophia for a very first time and I have to say we were very impressed with food, service and ambience of the place. Staff was very attentive and food came on time and very delicious. The only down side was that they charged 12.5% service charged which I thought was illegal but we didn't mention anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth it.FfamranVIPDined on 19/4/2014I've been to La Sophia for the second time. And I came back only for a dish: Jerusalem Artichoke and Truffle Oil Soup. Gorgeous starter. Fairly salty but completely worth the booking to have it. Risotto wasn't "al dente" but it was good anyway. Most risotto in London taste like "boiled rice" but that one really tasted good. Portions are fair, not too big. We spent around 70£ in 2 with bread, a glass of wine, two starters, two main courses and two coffees. We were on the 2 courses set menu for 20£ each. Looking forward to be there a third time, but since it's a bit expensive, it will not be very shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had the set menu evening meal,whichFareehaDined on 8/4/2014Had the set menu evening meal,which had a reasonable selection. The artichoke soup was tasty as was the lamb starter. The chicken main was a little dry-but Edible. Good portion sizes for the main. However not sure it'd be with the price without the toptable deal.Special Features:
- Amazing ServiceSQDKLDined on 30/3/2014We arrived with a pushchair and a party of 6 people. Unfortunately I did ring in advance to tell them about the pushchair (my bad) but they done everything possible to get us a brilliant table in an already packed restaurant on Mothers day. The service was amazing, they couldn't do enough for us and the live music just topped a great mothers day out. Will be going back there again.. Well done staff...Special Features:
- French with a twistLatif54Dined on 30/3/2014This is a great neighbourhood restaurant with a nice ambience and an interesting menu. We had Sunday lunch. The aubergine Mille feuille starter was excellent. The mains were good, though the choice limited. The live classical guitarist made for a relaxed and pleasant afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food at La SophiaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 16/2/2014This was a really nice experience. The staff were attentive and the food was very nice and good value. We went on a Sunday night so it was quiet bug the atmosphere was nice and actually restful. The only downside was that one of the cocktails was out of stock as was the bouillabaisse- which was a shame. However, still worth it and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. I blindlyMissyAADined on 15/2/2014The food was good. I blindly ordered without knowing what to expect but I was impressed with what I received (smoked haddock), portions were on the small side. Service was fantastic, the waiters were always around to attend to our needs. will definitely recommend to all for either lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great little restaurant!StarvinMarvinDined on 14/2/2014What a great little restaurant! Very attentive service but only when required or requested. Nice wine list with good variation from the usual selection. Excellent food, well thought out & presented. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average in this neighbourhoodfoodiekittyVIPDined on 12/2/2014La Sophia in Notting Hill was reasonably priced especially if you go for the set menu under £20 for 2 courses. We went on a Wednesday night so it was nearly empty. The food left very much to be desired unfortunately. I ordered the chicken breast with potato gratin and artichoke in truffle sauce and if ever there was a more depressing looking dish of chicken swimming on top of potato slices in a sea of cream sauce and it tasted just as appealing. A little thought on presentation and texture would go a long way. Thankfully the dessert made up for it with the warm chocolate fondant gooey inside. With so much choice in the neighbourhood I don't think I'll be going back again.
- LovelyStephenandtaraDined on 8/2/2014Lovely quaint restaurant off portobello road, super food, excellent service....would recommend....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for lunchLocalfanDined on 7/2/2014I live nearby and was meeting a friend for a catch up lunch. La Sophia had an interesting menu and looked good value and not too noisy. What I didn't realise was that the food would also be outstanding. I had the set lunch, starting with aubergine mille-feuille with grilled halloumi. I am not a fully-fledged foodie so I don't usually take so much notice but the exquisite mixture of tastes and textures stopped me in my tracks. I followed this with the pan fried chicken breast, artichoke, potato gratin & truffle sauce which was also delicious. My friend had fish (I think it was sea bass) off the a la carte menu which she also pronounced superb. The service was excellent and we both will be going back very soon. Unbelievable value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The party of 22 people enjoyedredhairDined on 25/1/2014The party of 22 people enjoyed the food & overall experience there at La Sophia. But some of us were a bit disappointed that despite pre-ordering 2 days before the event, some of the dishes chosen from the A La Carte Menu were not available on the night, and we were not informed these dishes were removed from the menu no longer serving until we arrived.Special Features:
- Nice mealLUYeDined on 18/1/2014Had dinner at La Sophia with a friend on a Saturday night; was busy but didn't feel overwhelmingly so. The food was nice but nothing particularly remarkable. Service was very good, very attentive and flexible regarding vegetarian options. Would go again.Special Features:
- Nice enough food and atmosphereMTBHDined on 13/1/2014Despite it being a Monday night, unfortunately, our visit coincided with a very noisy large group, who were obviously having a great time there. Despite being sat furtherst away from the group, we could hardly hear ourselves which was a pity. Food is perfectly nice, but does not live up to the promise of "with a Palestine twist". 95% of the items on the menus were nothing more than "European". Everything I had was cooked well (scallops starter and rabbit as main). It's a nice touch that they allow you to bring your own bottle, which you rarely see in a quality restaurant, with no corkage, I must add. Without wine (which we brought ourselves), the meal (2 courses each) was around £65 for two people. Better options for the price? Perhaps?
- so-so interiors, great service+foodmeetingDined on 31/12/2013Overall: Friends and I, party of four, enjoyed a great meal with exceptional service from the staff. Overall experience of the New Year's Eve dinner was very good. Pros: + The waiters' timing was perfect, and smiles never left their faces. All of them demonstrated both expertise in terms of the menu and ability to give proper advice, if asked. + The food was delicious and beautifully served. We tried each other's dishes and all of them ranged from good to very good. Wines were affordable and quite good, too. + Live jazz duo made a pleasant addition to our experience. Nice and not too loud, you can't go wrong with sax and jazz guitar. Cons: - In terms of interiors, the place itself is a bit dull and dark, esp. the basement room. - Moody areaSpecial Features:
- Amazing 3 courseEmzDDined on 31/12/2013My bf and I went for the NYE 3 course menu offer with a glass of bubbly and I loved all three courses. I can be quite picky with starters and tend to skip them but I had the Hot Smoked Salmon, Picked Cucumber, Dill & Avocado Salsa which was so nice. Staff at the restaurant we polite and attentive. Overall a very good choice of venue for nye dinner. Really pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to bemar2Dined on 25/12/2013La Sophia has changed and the food has become now blunt and mediocre. The fish I ordered was as dry as the Sahara desert and the rest of the dishes were tasteless. All the ingredients seemed to lack in flavour, maybe the food supplier needs to be changed? The service was great and quick, but the quality of the food and the bill did not match. I can pay less and eat better food in London. Overall, a very disappointing experience and I don't think I'm going there again.
- It was my 1st christmas hereyousraDined on 25/12/2013It was my 1st christmas here in London, and thanks to La Sophia, it was an amazing experience. the food was very delicious. we had a christmas menu, and the menu has lots of varieties to choose from. I tried the roasted vegetables, it was nice, and my friend had a sea bass fillet, which was delicious as well. I loved the restaurant, the atmosphere, the service, and of course the food. I would love to go there again, and try more optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas at La SophiaSilvxx26Dined on 25/12/2013I spent my Christmas Day at La Sophia with my family and we have had a really nice day. Service was perfect and the food was amazing. We choose the Christmas menu that offered a big range of choise. I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealJojoDined on 22/12/2013Went with my colleagues. We've all enjoyed it. And the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small busy restaurantShoesDined on 13/12/2013Friendly staff, small but very busy restaurant. There's xmas party downstairs, quite noisy.... Food were good, the set menu is good value of money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantT1986Dined on 29/11/2013The staff at this little restaurant are incredible - probably the friendliest I have come across! Food is great if a little pricey but I suppose this is to be expected in Notting Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz on a Friday… lovely dinnergabsNHVIPDined on 22/11/2013The menu is great, the offers are great, the service is personal, the food is super quality and the Jazz just gives it the special touch. Will come back soon! PS: Please can we bring the Beef Tartare back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at La SophiaRo1989VIPDined on 16/11/2013I went for dinner at La Sophia on Saturday night. It is a really lovely place, the food was wonderful! I had a mushroom risotto with artichokes which was a nice combination and my friend loved her dish too. The chocolate fondant was cooked to perfection and it was great value overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodMooshVIPDined on 9/11/2013Went for dinner with friends. A little quieter than usual on a Saturday night. Service was excellent as was the food. Good choice on the menu. My friends said that the steak was the best they had tasted and my chicken beast was moist and delicious. The aubergine and halloumi starter was also delicious. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La SophiaShamaDined on 9/11/2013The food was fine but despite having looked at your website for the speicals - when we got there we were informed that the speicals were not available if one booked via Toptable but once I showed them your e-mail, they accepted it and gave it to us. That slightly put us off. I did not think that the food was exceptionation.
- Nice mealHevLVIPDined on 23/10/2013Our meal in La Sophia was nice and I would consider going back. The food was tasty and very well presented. I don't feel it was anything truly special, so haven't rated it 'very good'. However, if you're looking for a meal out, it's nice. I'm not impressed with the special offers on toptable. Either a set menu or you can choose 1,000 points. We selected the set menu only to find that it's the set menu they offer to everyone and we could have had that AND the 1,000 points. To be honest, that put me off and took the shine off our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid week mealSKHANVIPDined on 16/10/2013My husband and I both had the set menu. To start we had lamb croquettes (minced lamb which lacked seasoning). Fot mains we both had steak, a lovely cut of meat with so light marbling cooked to perfection. But the highlight of the meal is without a doubt the dessers menu. Do not leave without trying the melting middle chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Very tasty foodHungrymumDined on 12/10/2013Highly recommended, very tasty, very fresh food. The bill ended up being slightly expensive as drink prices are high! However, we didn't mind as the quality of the food & service were great! Nice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was surprisingly poorMukmuudVIPDined on 6/10/2013I had seen good reviews about La Sophia, and was really looking forward to trying it out. Unfortunately, the food simply wasn't very good. The taste wasn't there in the lamb croquettes, and portion of the main (seafood linguine) was far small!
- The following 598 reviews are from the La Sophia reviews archive.
- Great little French BYOGastronoughtVIPDined on 27/9/2013Had passed La Sophia many times and frankly never been particularly tempted to try it but the reviews suggested otherwise and the carrot of BYO added to the attraction. The staff were very friendly and clear; you need to have three courses if you want the BYO option but that was never going to be a problem with the quality of the menu. The only slight disappointment was the steak tartare starter but otherwise all the dishes were excellent. Very good value for money too at less than £40 a head. Nice jazz in the background too. A perfect recipe for a relaxed Friday evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gastro gemBlu74Dined on 27/9/2013Nice to see a restaurant that delivers excellence by not trying too hard. We had a lovely lunch, the food was superb, the wine was well selected and the service exceptionally friendly. I particularly liked the lazy jazz playing in the background and the view out the window of Ladbroke Grove life going on outside. The fact that it wasn't packed out with people made it really pleasant. Absolutely loved the place and would certainly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemLisaguenDined on 13/9/2013I went to la Sophia for dinner with a friend last week, we were both amazed by the quality and originality of the food, at such low price! The staff was extremely friendly and warm. There was a live acoustic guitar player, which made it an even better atmosphere all around. I would definitely recommend it!! For a cosy dinner for two or catching up with friends. I will be going again for sure, starting with my birthday lunch in a few weeks.Special Features:
- A great little find...LittleVeniceCriticVIPDined on 3/9/2013After searching for a well priced local restaurant on Toptable along came the La Sophia, based on the excellent value it promised we didn't set our expectations high... but the La Sophia did itself justice. Never before have I opted for a Steak Tartar outside of France and along came a dish that would easily trump anything France could offer, so pleased was I with the dish that I asked to speak to the chef who offered me a card with a recipe. I was later to discover that the chef on the evening is usually rubbing shoulders in the kitchen with Gordon Ramsey.. could Ramsey offer a set menu for £19.50?? I very much doubt it! So save time and money searching and give this little gem a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night outTahirDined on 16/8/2013I have been to La Sophia before and this occassion it was not as good as their usual high standards. The menu needs a bit of refreshing and variety as the dishes they have had previously were better, in particular the chicken main course. Still a great restaurant, good food and ambience, just I know they can do better as they have in the past!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - awful servicemidlandukDined on 22/7/2013Poor welcome followed by awful service throughout.. The first sign that something was wrong was upon announcing the booking it had to be checked - as one of only 3 tables in the place you'd have thought an attempt would be made to convert locals to regulars and somebody might have expected us. No drinks offered, no wines offereed, no bread offered. Second sign that nobody knows what they are doing was that a bottle of Champagne was listed at £38, but a glass - 250ml, yes 250ml - was £8.90. We ordered two glasses - warm 250ml arrived. Thereafter, everything had to be asked for - nothing was ever anticipated. Do yourself a favour and go somewhere else. Food was fantastic. Discount not made to billl, despite being on a special offer. Hideous.
- Great little place hiddenGraduationDined on 19/7/2013Great little place hidden away. Jazz music was fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!RubyDined on 2/7/2013The food lived up to more than we were expecting. Having read about the place and discovering that they served halal meat, I instantly told my friends and decided to visit the place. We were all very impressed! The food tasted amazing, presentation was fab and service was great. Will defo be going back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- there were only two tablesbobfromUSA1Dined on 16/6/2013there were only two tables of people in the restaurant and the service was friendly but very spottySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.