1A Launceston Place
London, W8 5RLNeighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.launcestonplace-restaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02079376912x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Sunday: 12pm - 2:30pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 6pm - 10pm
Sunday: 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British
- Executive Chef: Tim Allen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Launceston Place
Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Michelin star-winning Launceston Place is a hidden gem. Passionate about using the best of Great British produce and with a constantly changing seasonal menu using simple ingredients, the restaurant has received 4 AA Rosettes, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 by the AA guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Launceston Place - Best restaurants in Kensington ›
Launceston Place reviews from OpenTable diners
384 reviews since 6 May 2014
special occasions (274)fit for foodies (221)romance (200)business meals (113)sunday lunch (67)outstanding value (50)pre/post theatre (40)good vegetarian options (22)group bookings (15)brunch (15)disabled access (9)afternoon tea (7)child friendly (6)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- A good placeTrevigianoVIPDined on 30/8/2014It's a good Restaurant, a little bit too expensive respect others at the same level and location.Special Features:
- Food & Atmosphere were SpectacularDrQuizDined on 30/8/2014We went for dinner over the weekend when the restaurant only serves it's tasting menu. We had the tasting menu and wine pairing... It was spectacular! The wines were perfectly matched to the food, the service could not have been better! The meal was a bit pricy, but, we expected that. All in all we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDinerVIPDined on 30/8/2014Such amazing food. With menu adjusting to the seasons. Magic tastes. The service is the best, with very friendly and professional staff. Classy but not stuffy.Special Features:
- ExcellenthjjweDined on 28/8/2014Launceston Place is a little gem, tucked away in Kensington. The wine list is little intimidating, but friendly expert help is hand. The cheeseboard is wonderful, and comes with expert guidance on the selection and trying of new tastes. All the food was of a very high quality and well-presented without being fussy and processed looking. The staff were friendly and not over bearing, attentive without being pushy or snobby. The prices considering the quality are modest, and the whole experience made you feel pampered and experience enhanced. This not fast food, so make this the highlight of your evening or after a time scheduled event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent, will be backBraccoonDined on 24/8/2014I was very impressed with the quality of the food and service. The attention to details was particularly amazing.Special Features:
- Great food, good valueJJ89Dined on 24/8/2014We went for the 3 course Sunday lunch menu, which was great value for the quality of food. The duck egg starter was particularly good, but all of the food was exceptional and well thought out. Good wine list with a nice range. Really nice interior and ambiance (though the music was a little elevator-y!) and the staff were very polite and attentive. I'd definitely visit again and would recommend.Special Features:
- OutstandingMarkSDined on 23/8/2014We visited this restaurant during a recent trip to London and it was excellent. The food was simply outstanding and the service was faultless. Staff were friendly, attentive and extremely knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Delightful cuisine ans serviceGaelleTonyDined on 22/8/2014Looking for fine cuisine with british touch we end up at Launceston place. Dishes are made of fine ingredients and serve for some like a painter (salt marsh lamb). Service is just what it need to be : attentive but not intrusive. Add a skillful sommelier and you will leave with a good remember of this restaurant. Preferred dishes were Wild salmon and Raspberry delice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrianEDined on 22/8/2014A super restaurant with excellent food and service. We have yet to be disappointed when we dine here.Special Features:
- Extraordinary restaurantShplDined on 20/8/2014This lovely restaurant on a quiet corner off Gloucester Road was spectacular. All the dishes were both complex yet simple, the service extraordinary, and the general atmosphere elegant yet understated. The amuse bouchée was fantastic, the quail appetizer (with quail legs served under small domes smoked on a bed of hay) was wonderful, and the veal entree was terrific. Everything was beautifully prepared, and indeed would have been precious but for the fact that It was all delicious. The the evening was the cheese trolley. The cheese waiter was so knowledgeable and fun. This lovely neighborhood restaurant is proof that London dining is as strong as any city's. It's a pretty pricey experience, yet worth it to me.Special Features:
- Great experienceCrapinoDined on 16/8/2014A perfect experience from every point of view: food, wine and service. We enjoyed the "Taste" menu, great and built with great skill. A special mention for the service and the exceptional Cortesa, friendliness and professionalism of the Manager, Matteo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodckc1234Dined on 16/8/2014Great food, but although service was good, the pacing was very slow and variable. There were times when the wait between courses were very long and varied through the night. The food is excellent though with seasonal ingredients.Special Features:
- Amazing everythingMassivefoodieDined on 16/8/2014Second time and Launceston place and was even more impressed then our first visit (if that is possible). Was there for a special occasion and it was definitiy the best place if your celebrating your waiters take care of you 100% and arnt stuffy and stuck up just open and friendly can't do enough for you. If doing tasting menu go early as seven courses does take a long while to get through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would like to try again.chukVIPDined on 16/8/2014This was my first time trying this restaurant. Service was very good, food was done well. I would like to try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencegastrohammerDined on 10/8/2014Have been meaning to visit Launceston Place for a while now, and finally went on Sunday to celebrate my wife's birthday. We chose the taster menu with wine accompaniment. The food was of outstanding and consistent quality, from the fantastic duck egg through to the delightful raspberry desert. The paired wines, some well out of our normal comfort zone complemented the food brilliantly. We really enjoyed the efficient, friendly and unobtrusive service from all the staff. Overall a great experience which compared favourably with many of the 2 or 3 Michelin starred restaurants we have visited . A minor niggle, the layout of the tables, where we sat, in the front window alcove, was a bit cramped with maybe one table too many in the vicinity?Special Features:
- Exceptionally good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Great meal and fabulous service. My only comment would be that the wine list was extensive however there were few reasonably priced wines by the glass - champagne at £15 is excessive and I have eaten at many 1 and 2 Michelin restaurants !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Taster MenuKK67Dined on 9/8/2014Absolutely loved the Taster Menu with the matching wines. Fantastic staff made it a very relaxed atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible fine dining experiencefoodiekittyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We went for my birthday on a Friday night, Launceston Place is tucked away in Kensington but it definitely is a gem worth seeking out. We had the 6 course tasting menu, which is what is stipulated on Friday and Saturdays and the food was impeccable. From the canapes, bread, amuse bouche, the incredible duck egg starter with pea cappuccino, hand-dived scallops, salmon, tender lamb, lemon pre-dessert (that was a little too creamy for me) and the raspberry mousse with white chocolate aero and delice. It was fantastic quality and beautiful presentation. The service was attentive and very helpful. I highly recommend them for a special occasion if you want a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The right PlacesquirtDined on 6/8/2014Excellent food, cooked to perfection. A great choice of menus. Superb wine list. Service was spot on. FautlessSpecial Features:
- ExcellentSindyBDined on 1/8/2014This is a dining experience for those who are serious about food and drink. The attention to detail was wonderful and every course was a delight. The staff were friendly, knowledgable and extremely attentive from start to finish. If you can, go.Special Features:
- Private in a large dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 30/7/2014This was the second time I'd eaten at Launceston Place and I love how their dining room can be incredibly busy but they'll still find a way to make your experience feel private and personalised. The service was great, everyone was highly skilled and very attentive to us. The only let down was a small leak in the ceiling which dripped beside my Aunt throughout our meal.Special Features:
- Was my favourite...jardaokDined on 27/7/2014Well, Launceston Place was for years my favourite restaurant, both for business lunch and (especially) for romantic relaxed evenings. However my last stay was a bit disappointing - the new chef's creations are simply not my cup of tea and also the service seems to be too self-confident and proud for the Michelin star that its no more so friendly as it was before (nevertheless I wish to stress that (probably) the head waiter was friendly and having a free of charge smile for us... To sum up - we were looking forward to the end of the evening. I am so sorry but this venue has disappeared from my focus.Special Features:
- ExcellentLarryBDined on 27/7/2014A fabulous experience. The location and ambience are beautiful, the food perfect and the wine pairings were wonderful. We felt the sommellier did an exceptional job telling us aqbout each wine in great detail with many interesting facts. The service was superb and everyone was very friendly and seemed very happy to have us there.Special Features:
- Fine diningjonnychazDined on 19/7/2014A gem of a restaurant that is impressive without being overwhelming. It is comfortable and elegant. The Set menu at £30, which also delivers some amuses bouches is a real treat - just watch out for the accumulating cost of the wine (the list is excellent but the price really adds up!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunchepicureVIPDined on 16/7/2014This is my third time here after Tim Allen taken the helm here. Food are beautifully presented and standards are very high. We all think that these could easily be a 2* meal here. The ambience of the restaurant is the sort that I like, very comfortable, quiet and laid-back. Highly recommended!
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We had a fabulous dinner, so goo we wanted to go back the next day and have it again. We are the tasting menu so we are looking forward to the move on!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealPaul79Dined on 11/7/2014We had a great meal at Launceston Place, staff very attentive and made us at home, great cocktails and a very good 3-course lunch menu. Salt marsh lamb and the duck egg starter particularly good. Staff also made a fuss of us as it was our wedding anniversary (we hadn't even made a specific request). Very good value menu - we spent more on drinks than food! Will come again.Special Features:
- One of the best meals we have eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014The quality of the food is outstanding. The tasting menu is a real treat and the wine pairing complements the food really well. Will live in the memory for a long time. The service is first class, especially the descriptions of the food and wines. What a lovely quiet location but well located. Layout of the restaurant is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BDophDined on 2/7/2014Though the set lunch was excellent value given the standard of the cooking.
- Spot onfabfoodDined on 29/6/2014Launceston Place is situated in a quiet leafy street and very understated. The food was excellent. We chose from the 3 course Market Menu which had an ample choice, much better than other restaurants who offer similar deals. The service was good although perhaps a bit too invasive for my liking. However i would return next time i am in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchmaggsDined on 28/6/2014Such attention to detail. Such a relaxed unrushed meal. One of the best dinning experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely different foodOldman99Dined on 24/6/2014I had quail and then veal. The dishes were excellent and imaginative. Service was attentive but relaxed and informal.Special Features:
- Exquisite Food and Great serviceDANIELDined on 22/6/2014Creative , sophisticated and very tasty dishes , large cellar (not cheap though) , and great service, efficient and stylish but not over present not obsequiousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Qualche disfunzione di troppoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 21/6/2014Le note positive: ottimo cibo, servizio in sala eccellente Note negative: solo poche ore prima della cena ho saputo che il sabato si serve solo il menù degustazione. Avendo con noi due bambini questo è stato un problema. I tempi di attesa sono stati esagerati per una cena a menù degustazione per tutto il tavolo (2 ore e 30 minuti!!!!) Ovviamente abbiamo fatto rilevare queste distonie al gentilissimo maître che ha servito il nostro tavolo.Special Features:
- Best meal ever!isabelredDined on 21/6/2014This really was the best meal my husband and I have ever had. Went on Saturday evening, so had the tasting menu. The food was outstanding, and surprisingly, there was plenty of it. The service was what you'd expect from a Michelin star restaurant, but without making you feel uncomfortable. The tasting menu was excellent value at £70, but a few more affordable wine choices would have been appreciated. This has restored our faith in Michelin starred restaurants, and we will definitely be booking again.Special Features:
- I wishcebfredVIPDined on 21/6/2014I wish I could go more often.First I don't live in London but even though it is good value for money,my finances don't stretch to a weekly visit.I can dream though. As usual it was excellent.We arrived 30 minutes late(traffic) and panting.The staff made us welcome immediately and as soon as the amuse-bouche(of high standard) arrived we forgot about any inconvenience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great $$ for a Michelin experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/6/2014I was told to not miss this great Michelin grade lunch deal during my brief stay in London. The recommender-friend had lunch 3x here before & is waiting for the chance for her 4th. I'm happy to write here that the overall experience I had at Launceston Place was decent; albeit with nothing to write home about. Food was acceptable, ambiance was alright, service was okay. No complaints, not wowed either. How did Launceston got it's star remains a mystery to me... Would I go back for more? Probably not.. My verdict? Go if you hv ran out of Michelin star lit restaurant you would like to try. Or if you are just looking for a quiet place for lunch with a friend that serves decent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely lunch!jnzpoDined on 20/6/2014Had a lovely lunch here! As a single out-of-town business traveler, after working all week I treated myself to lunch. It was fabulous - really great service, the restaurant was beautiful, the house champagne divine, and the food was wonderful. A real treat for this foodie!Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerLilyVIPDined on 17/6/2014Restaurant was lovely and quite, and not too full on a Tuesday evening so almost felt like you having the restaurant to yourself as the other guests chose to sit at the back while we seated by the window. Food was delicious, in particular the asparagus with hen egg, and quail dish were both well done.Special Features:
- OutstandingLoftysurgDined on 14/6/2014Faultless food. Good service. And one of the best gin and tonics ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.