110 High Street
Esher, KT10 9QLNeighbourhood:
LebanesePrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.laylarestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01372 462333
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12pm until late.
- Payment Options: Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Executive Chef: Jean Ghanem
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Ideally located for corporate events as well as private parties in and around Surrey. Our capable team looks after all aspects and incorporates a wide variety of cuisines in the menu, combining a modern European style with Arabic and Lebanese flavours to create a wonderful fusion of tastes. Call us to discuss your requirements with our catering team who will guide you through our extensive menu and help you design the perfect selection for your guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful, large, semi-private booth available for parties of 8 - 14. Semi-private dining area available for up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Reservations Team 01372462333
- Entertainment: Layla hosts fantastic live entertainment Wednesday,Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings with live muscicians and singers. Lively belly dancing evenings are held once a month. Please contact reservations for dates to avoid disappointment.
- Special Events: Monday Night Offer - 3 courses and a glass of wine £12.50
Weekday Lunch Offer - 2 courses from £7.50
A word from Layla Restaurant
Layla restaurant fashions Eastern spice and European sophistication into a gem of contemporary dining. From the pomegranate champagne cocktails to the sultry decor, the mood is intoxicating, vibrant and unique. Choose an intimate table or a secluded private alcove to enjoy a multi-course fragrant feast and authentic Lebanese wines. For those new to Lebanese cuisine, Layla offers a selection of sharer menu's which incorporate a large selection of some of the most popular dishes on the menu. There are plenty of dishes suitable for vegetarians and the pistachio and vanilla and rosewater ice creams are a customer favourite!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Layla Restaurant - Best restaurants in Esher ›
Layla Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since 25 November 2013
special occasions (14)group bookings (9)romance (6)fit for foodies (6)good vegetarian options (5)business meals (4)brunch (3)child friendly (2)outstanding value (1)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- Great food at excellent valueLadylozzerDined on 11/11/2014The sharing menu was the perfect introduction into Lebanese cuisine. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening with the girlsWombleDined on 1/7/2014Ambience very good with great bar facilities although outside road noises are prevalent especially from riders posing on Harley Davidson! Food good although table cramped once delivered Service started well with prompt friendly attention, wine good..after starters the mains took approx half hour... Mains not as good in as starters, presentation poor Empty plates left for a long time Deserts limited to fruit /Arabic sweets, one small plate of each between 5 insufficient No milk for coffee! Americano too bitter as if from bottom of the jug! Waitress questioned why my friend just wanted hot water to drink after her choice of tea was unavailable, shows immaturity The staff did not say goodbye personally, shouting from around the corner instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and tastyRockgeoDined on 15/6/2014My partner and I visited on a Sunday evening. It was very quiet with only about 4 tables occupied and, as far as I could see, one waitress and one chef in the kitchen. Service was therefore a little slow, but the food was worth the wait!! All tasted freshly prepared and was at the right temperature. The young waitress did a sterling job considering she was essentially on her own. My partner is a vegetarian and was very impressed with the options she chose. I had an excellent lamb main course. The highlight for me were the Baklawa we had for dessert. They were perfect; not to soft or sticky, but melted in the mouth. My only negative comment is that the restaurant is beginning to look a little like it needs redecorating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOlliDined on 14/6/2014We have been back to Layla time and time again and will come back as the quality of the food, the service and the ambience are greatSpecial Features:
- RichardDined on 31/5/2014The place is lively which is fun. We booked for a Saturday night and surprisingly the restaurant was only really half full. Service levels were poor despite there being a lot of staff. We had the set menu which was ok and plenty of food - I think to do Lebanese food justice they could have done better. Got the feeling the menu was designed to be cooked by an untrained chef. However saying all that we had a really good time.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food,JosephvipDined on 24/5/2014The food at Laya is delicious, a good selection on the menu & the venue is second to none. The only thing that let's it down are the waiters, to start off with they were good, drinks & food served then they were all standing by the coffee machine & we couldn't attract their attention. After dinner we went to the bar, the bar staff are excellent, it was really busy at the bar & they handled it no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's time to get back to the basicsEsherregularDined on 22/3/2014Ok, I've lived in the area since Layla arrived and have been many times. My experience through time is that the service levels are poor. About a year ago there was an obvious push to respond to criticism in this area but on this occasion it's clear that they have slipped back into their old ways. On this occasion the overall experience was poor. Table not ready on arrival and then not told when it was, very poor wine selection as they'd run out of most wines, generally haphazard service - our waitress did the memory thing with the order and then fogot most of what we asked for!!! We were rushed at the end for desert - largely because we sat down 20-25 mins late as our table wasn't ready etc. Pure faulty towers. The atmosphere/food is nice..Special Features:
- Average blah Evening mealFreddie1Dined on 25/1/2014We went on a Saturday night and were very disappointed. The food is very average (we found it quite bland) for the cost as it is pretty expensive. The interior is uninspiring and surprisingly dare we say it a bit tacky unless you like the belly dancing! We were surprised it was so busy and definitely would not return. For the cost of the meal you could have a pretty wow meal elsewhere.
- Lovely LebaneseNicolettaDined on 10/1/2014We booked for a 30th birthday and told the staff this when they called to confirm the booking. When we arrived we we're put in this amazing booth with beautiful candles. The food was delicious (we had the set menu) and lots of it. We later moved into the bar area where they reserved an area for us and the place really filled up. Great live music and a fun place for a birthday dinner & drinks. Staff were all friendly and helpful. A good find!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticChocolatierDined on 7/12/2013Fabulous food with great service. Everything was faultless!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 456 reviews are from the Layla Restaurant reviews archive.
- Birthday mealLWT41Dined on 11/11/2013Hey, what do you expect on a Monday lunchtime? Nothing but a few fellow diners and little atmosphere whilst the weekend revellers keep away and prepare for the next Friday! However, it was my wife's birthday and we wanted to do some shopping in Esher and have lunch somewhere different. The food and service were amazing and I know from other friends that the evenings, in a bigger group are amazing so I can't knock Layla, it was everything that we expected. The phone didn't stop ringing for future bookings (a good sign leading up to Christmas and the New Year) and we walked away having had an amazing meal and wanting to come back again. Well done Layla for making a fuss of us! Will eat there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls must love itCHeadVIPDined on 6/11/2013As a venue to meet up with old girl friends this place is marvellous, cosy seated bar area before/after dinner, wonderful sharing plates, delightful waitress have to assume the waiter was new he was fairly clueless but it didn't detract.Special Features:
- Great Food, slightly PriceyPricey13Dined on 26/10/2013Had a lovely evening at Layla, food was good if a little pricey (but probably par for the course for Esher). Entertainment was good fun with Bellydancing being a welcome surprise! Service was very friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super nightKatiaManson1Dined on 18/10/2013Everything was great from beginning to end ,good welcome, great cocktails lovely service and food . The only fault for me was being asked to vacate the table for another party ,we wanted to stay longer and have a desert wine .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, good foodEsherResiDined on 10/8/2013Food was good, but we were completely ignored by all the staff. Think they are more interested in people getting drunk on a Saturday night, rather than serving food. Wouldn't go back again.
- Layla with a sparkFoodieLoveDined on 27/7/2013I have been to Layla on a number of occasions, this time it was quite different... After our main dishes had been cleared, traditional music started to play and a belly dancer appeared. She was great and very entertaining, however the music was a little intense and made it difficult to continue chatting. All in all a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & atmosphereBeccarinaDined on 20/7/2013Went as a group - lovely time, great food & service. Was surprised to see a belly dancer appear half way through the meal as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMammaMiaDined on 4/7/2013My husband and I had a 10pm dinner reservation at Layla for our wedding anniversary. Having eaten here before, we were suitably impressed and wanted to give it another go. When booking through TT, I had specifically requested a good table and the restaurant obliged - we were given one of the lovely booths. The food was just as good as last time. My husband commented that the portion size of the starters was small but we were both very full by the end of our mains. His mixed grill and my shish taouk were both delicious, as was the hot and cold mezze platter we shared as a starter. The ambiance was a little lacking, but I expect this was owing to the hour. The service was prompt and friendly. All in all, a very good experience.Special Features:
- Layla's For DinnerconnoisseurDined on 27/6/2013Took my sister for dinner at Layla's. I am a regular there and really like the food. It's a shame they allow so many large groups of women in the restaurant at times. They can be very noisy in the restaurant. Lovely food though as usual.Special Features:
- Good lively bar & restaurantJosephvipDined on 15/6/2013Layla is a really busy bar & restaurant. Food is excellent, service was good. Some extra bar staff would be a good idea for when it gets really busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhillREK2006Dined on 1/5/2013I first ate at this restaurant some time ago shortly after it opened, when the decor was fresh and the food authentic and flavoursome. I was very disappointed to find how tired it felt, how average the service and just how poor the food is now. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone, for any occasion.
- Layla never disappoints. TheDobsterDined on 18/4/2013Layla never disappoints. The food is always outstanding. We went early Friday evening and felt the service could have been more attentive, especially when it was relatively quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Layla Restaurant is one ofKBS57Dined on 15/4/2013Layla Restaurant is one of my locals and we have visited a number of times. It has always served consistently well cooked food. Service is friendly and efficient. We like the booths to sit - it seems a little more private. Always a good experience and recommended.Special Features:
- Loud Night at LaylaJuliaB7VIPDined on 3/4/2013This was really quite an awful experience -which took place on a Thursday night. In short you need to go here to drink & listen to loud music or live performers in the bar area then if you want to have something to eat, you can go to the restaurant at the rear. Two of us had been here before, but it didn't resemble its former self which had focussed more on the food. Food is now definitely a side-line. The staff seemed to try their best, but they were more interested in the music & enjoying their shift in terms of the clubby atmosphere. All the food seemed re-heated - I remember last time enjoying the Kibbeh, but they were decidedly average this time - the only thing that tasted genuine & was properly done was the rice!! Never again!Special Features:
- Quiet Dinner at LaylaQuencherDined on 25/3/2013Went there on a cold Monday evening, and despite it being quite empty, the food took a long time to arrive, and service was slow. But the food was delicious nevertheless, the chicken falling off the bone beautifully. Clean and nice ambiance, with the back room separation from the front making for a more intimate atmosphere. Recommended.Special Features:
- TASTY, NOISY FRIDAY NIGHT IN ESHERTRICKorTREATDined on 15/3/2013Although we've been to Layla in the past, this visit was a tad too raucous for us for a meal out on a Friday. The vibe at the very popular cocktail bar tends to filter down in to the main restaurant, sometimes so much so that you can't hear your partner across the table. Having said that, the food is always tasty and fresh, perhaps a little over-complicated at times (we had a sauce that beat up a bit on what should have been a simple, effective fish dish) and the service excellent. A social hub for Esher-ites at the weekend, if you fancy a slightly more chilled evening, I'd recommend going earlier in the week. Let's hope it maintains it's reputation for good food and doesn't slip too much into the realm of a jack of all trades, master of...Special Features:
- Not as good as expected!yegsDined on 24/2/2013I went here for Valentine's Day with my partner,it was lovely,live music & set menu,food well presented with small starters and a yummy main.I decided to go on a normal evening with my mum.The place is a "wannabe" lebanese.Waiters are young and not professional for a supposedly high class restaurant esp at the price per head.Food is a good attempt at Lebanese but the starters were smaller than the set menu for V-day and now we were paying full price-you'd expect a little more and better quality for your money!! The main was still good though. I would recommend this place for a group booking,with live music it would be fun & entertaining and the food is good just not what you'd expect from a high class lebanese. Not authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent birthday celebrationjeeeeDined on 9/2/2013Thank you for great food and service, really fun eveningI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRaineWomanDined on 9/2/2013First time at this restaurant and had been pre warned that on a Saturday we only had 2 hour booking and must leave the table at 9, so no problem with that and the service was good without feeling rushed. I would have preferered to have known that for a booking for 5 we would be squeezed onto a table for 4 as this was a bit snug for the 3 on the bench. Food was great, really enjoyed it and the wine was lovely too. Would ask for extra pitta bread next time to fully enjoy the mixed mezze! and we shall return but will choose a quieter night so we can be a bit more relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitEaterDined on 5/2/2013Great food, service was good, def try the mixed grill if you are a meat lover!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of my FavouritesDallCorpVIPDined on 24/1/2013This restaurant has never let me down, ambience, food and service still excellent, even on a weeknight.
- Good night outSheshaDined on 1/12/2012We went there on a Saturday night, and had reserved a 7pm booking in the restaurant followed by a 9 pm booking in the lounge. This worked well otherwise the 7-9 slot is not enough unless everyone shows up on time. In our case, we were a party of 12 and some arrived late, so we were rushed through our dining experience . As I had read about this in other reviews I was not surprised and was glad that I had the 9 pm booking in the lounge. The food was good but the quantities were small. It was a fixed menu and the amount they provided for 12 people half of which were men left us unfulfilled, Other than that we had a good time. The live entertainment was good and the place was full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, been a couplePaulskiDined on 28/11/2012Great place, been a couple of times and will go back for more!Special Features:
- 5*AnonDined on 1/11/2012Extremely friendly staff, amazing food and lovely restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday lunchmrsMDined on 30/9/2012very friendly, amazing food, peaceful atmosphere, can wait to dine again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First dateHungryEaterDined on 26/9/2012I took a new friend to eat at Layla who had said she ate anything. We shared a meze and main courses and we were not disappointed with the usual spread of dishes. I've eaten here a number of times and never been disappointed by both the food or the service. We were initially shown to a table near a group of chatting ladies but as we wanted to talk we moved to a quieter part of the restaurant which was no problem to the staff. Layla can be bold and brassy if that's what you need or like what we needed quiet and intimate. It's a great place to celebrate whatever the occasion.Special Features:
- Dinner at Layla'sconnoisseurDined on 20/9/2012Great evening as always. Lovely food - we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedfoodieVIPDined on 3/9/2012Unfortunately was dissapointed. This was the third time I have dined at leylas but was let down. Only one waiter dealing with all the tables, service very slow. Unable to order a cocktail until one hour after arrival due to no bar staff, when cocktail came it was the wrong one. Waiter very kind and apologetic but unfortunately the lack of service really let the night down.
- esher-lebaneseandrewDined on 1/9/2012Good food and a nice ambient.....definetely deserves second visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KRKRKRKRVIPDined on 7/8/2012The staff at Layla could not have been more helpful and friendly. The menus were explained in great detail, which was valuable as we had not tried this kind of food before. The food was well-cooked and presented. Not the cheapest a la carte, but a dinner offer for a sharing menu was good value, with cold and hot mezze, main course and dessert for £25 each. The decor was impressively elegant. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.