Le Bouchon Breton
8 Horner Square, Old Spitalfields Market
London, London E1 6EWNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
Le Bouchon Breton
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lebouchon.co.uk/
- Phone: 08000191704
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 11:00 - 11:30am; Brunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Olivier Ripert
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: French Brasserie
- Private Party Facilities: Le Bouchon Breton Brasserie. An authentically French offering in the heart of Old Spitalfields Market, with a large first floor terrace, overlooking the market square. The ‘Belle Époque’ style surroundings, classic menu, 15 meter zinc bar and 700 bin wine list will make any visit a memorable one.
- Private Party Contact: Yoann Truwant 02073771839
- Special Events: venue benefit from a wedding licence.
- Public Transit: 67, 26, 43, 47, 48, 78, 149, 242 and 388 are the nearest mobility buses. Hammersmith and City, Central, District, and Circle Lines plus national services, all at Liverpool Street Station(200m). Hammersmith and City, and District Lines at Aldgate East(500m) DLR - Bank and Tower Gateway (1.5km)
- Parking: Public Car Park
- Parking Details: White's Row is the nearest NCP car park, just around the corner from Old Spitalfields Market. Peak fare 2.00 per hour.
A word from Le Bouchon Breton
Le Bouchon Breton winner of 3x harpers food and Wine excellence awards 2011 is in the stunning surroundings of Old Spitalfields Market. You can relax in all weathers on the continental style terrace overlooking the Covered Victorian Marketplace. Whether you want Steak Frites Salade and a beer or a Chateaubriand and a glass of Margaux this authentic Parisien Style Brasserie is a must.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Bouchon Breton reviews from OpenTable diners
- When we arrived the resterauntTOMDDined on 7/7/2012When we arrived the resteraunt was 'closed for maintenance'.No calls to let us know nor obviously some other diners who had left a stonking note for the owners on the outside menu.A previous meal here had been fine but I've never been left in the lurch like that before.
- Dinner - Saturday 30 JunedjmuVIPDined on 30/6/2012Four of us booked for dinner at 20.00. The restaurant was pretty empty with a few people sitting outside on the balcony overlooking the market. The waitresses were welcoming, helpful and attentive. The menu was attractive and the food excellent, if a little pricey. The wine list was OK but the mark ups were high Generally, a good night but expensive for lmited atmosphere. Maybe its better on market daysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealpixieDined on 23/6/2012First time at this restaurant in Spitafields and I'm sure we will return. A little bit of France in London. Had a great meal, the food was delicious. The wine great and the atmosphere lovely and relaxed. Staff were welcoming and attentive. Good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, lovely atmosphereImpressedDined on 14/6/2012Excellent food, lovely atmosphere and great service. Will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Good food but...HornpipeVIPDined on 4/6/2012Very quiet and food was good, but lacked atmosphere. Recommend steak tartare and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first review for the new toptableFoodie82VIPDined on 25/5/2012I selected this restaurant because I got 1000 points for going. It's located in the middle of Spittalfields market sitting high up on the mezzanine level. We sat 'outside' (under the roof of the market). Upon first inspection the menu looked a little basic and not particularly French. I ordered the fish main and was pleasantly surprised. It was well presented and well cooked. The staff were friendly and overall we had a nice time.Special Features:
- We had a lovely evening atSpudDined on 15/5/2012We had a lovely evening at Le Bouchon Breton, the food was really good and the portions were generous. My only quibble would be that the dessert I had - coffee, rum & raisin ice cream with biscuits - was very small and over-priced. I would definitely go back.
- POOR SERVICE & BELOW AVERAGE FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2012Service was below average. Not very tasty for French cuisine. Quite disappointed for having spent GBP 94 on such a lackluster meal and poor service. Will not return, do NOT recommend.
- Le Bouchon Breton in SpitalfieldsSandraDined on 10/5/2012Le Bouchon Breton in Spitalfields was not a very happy experience. They seemed never to have heard of our booking, and the place smelt. The food was not very good and some of it was cold and had to be sent back. They didnt seem to know what they were doing or how to run a restaurant and the first thing that they said to us was that French Fries were off. In a supposedly French restaurant. They were pleasant people but clueless, but did give us something off our bill unprompted.
- Great location in Old SpitalfieldsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 28/4/2012Great location in Old Spitalfields market. We went on a Saturday and I was surprised that it was pretty empty - but maybe the market is full during the week and not on weekends (since it's near the City of London). So we couldn't really tell what ambiance the restaurant would normally have. Food was ok - steaks were good, but I had mussels which I thought would be in white wine with garlic and instead seemed to be just steamed with nothing, and no fries either. Odd.Special Features:
- Another lovely meal; I keepOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 25/4/2012Another lovely meal; I keep returning for their steak tartare! Service was slightly lacking - I was given the fish knife when my companion ordered the fish - but this was a minor point.
- 1000 points for a reasonPerfidalbioneVIPDined on 25/4/2012I see now why you get 1000 points for wasting money here. Dire ambience, average food, shambolic service.....never again. There are so many alternatives in the market....big mistake. It was virtually empty so word must be out....i would not bet on survival here.....
- Food was very good with anMillsDined on 21/4/2012Food was very good with an excellent steak however service was a bit patchy. Friendly staff but we had issues with courses arriving on time and knowledge of the wine list.
- Excellent rapid lunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 20/4/2012Excellent rapid lunch menu was excellent value and quality. Highly recommended for a business lunchSpecial Features:
- The staff were friendly andElchermadchenDined on 18/4/2012The staff were friendly and attentive without being obsequious. When we asked to switch from the web offer, which we'd booked, to a voucher offer, this one done, no problem. Food was delivered quickly and efficiently. We had all ordered steak and frites and each steak was cooked as ordered. Portions were generous, but not too large. The wine list could have done with a few more moderately priced items, but overall the price for 6 main meals with side dishes, including wine and service charge, came to just under £30 per person - a bargain in the City. I'll be back and I'll tell my friends.Special Features:
- Well, the fact you sent meMickinLondonDined on 17/4/2012Well, the fact you sent me anotheremail asking if I turned up says something about how relaxed the staff were on a very quiet day. The wine was spilt when being poured for tasting, and the Chateaubriand which was ordered 'rare' was well done in my view. To offset this a pudding was offered but declined so we settled for a free coffee. It was a pleasinat lunch but not quite good enough.
- my boyfriend and me went toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/4/2012my boyfriend and me went to eat in your restaurant for his birthday ! and it was absolutly great and delicious !!! thank you so much !Special Features:
- Ahhh, the cheese trolley atBethanyDined on 14/4/2012Ahhh, the cheese trolley at Le Bouchon Breton! It's worth the trip just for that! The waitress was not quite as knowledgeable as one might have wished. She didn't know the names of some of the cheese but was very helpful all the same and let us try before committing. The steak was second to none. Apart from the fish stew which came on the small portion side and with nothing else to bulk it up, everyone raved about their food. It really is like a parisian brasserie in there.
- Great food and fablous service...ShelDined on 1/4/2012Great food and fablous service... is a bit pricey but worth it when you feel like treating yourself
- Le Bouchon Breton is a favourite.DenisDined on 1/4/2012Le Bouchon Breton is a favourite. In the middle of Spitalfields it has a great atmosphere. Met friends with twins for lunch, the highchairs were ready and the eating began. We indulged in their fine steaks and red wine with cheese and desert to follow. The twins looked on and giggled. What a future they have!
- Convenient venue in Spitalfield,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 25/3/2012Convenient venue in Spitalfield, nice ambience, good service and food. Thoroughly enjoyed a good family dinner.
- Le Bouchon Breton - valueLLLPrincessVIPDined on 23/3/2012Le Bouchon Breton - value for money for set lunch - service was a bit slow today
- Food and service were good,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 21/3/2012Food and service were good, but on a Wednesday night the restaurant was very quiet. This would explain the chap outside handing out 'money off' vouchers.
- Good value for money for theLLLPrincessVIPDined on 20/3/2012Good value for money for the set lunch menu. Will be back again
- very nice however disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 16/3/2012very nice however disappointed to find that a few things on the menu had been discontinued - one being mussels, our favourite!
- Pork belly was cooked nicelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2012Pork belly was cooked nicely not dry and the lovely apple sauce was just tasty. Definately recommend this dish to friends. However, the Creme brulee was one of the worse one I have ever tried, no difference from eating a chunk of butter.Special Features:
- A lovely lunch. Service wasBethDined on 11/3/2012A lovely lunch. Service was good and food good as usual.
- Very disappointed in our visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2012Very disappointed in our visit. It was not even that busy but the service was so poor and slow that I ended up having to pour our wine myself. The starter was quite mediocre but the main was nice. however, We had to wait to pay the bill for a while and they had added the service charge already which I never mind paying when the service is good but it was not.We then waited for someone to get our coats but gave up in the end and we just took our own coats off the stand and left. Its a good job that we are honest! We could have made off with anyone's coat! We shall not be returning here anytime soon!Special Features:
- Le Bouchon Breton do a valueLLLPrincessVIPDined on 7/3/2012Le Bouchon Breton do a value for money set lunch menu - with quality french food
- Had a fantastic seafood platter.AimeLVVIPDined on 3/3/2012Had a fantastic seafood platter. Quiet on Saturday lunchtime, nice for couples. The wine list was very impresive!Special Features:
- The restaurant was not veryNeilVIPDined on 1/3/2012The restaurant was not very full for a thursday lunch. The waiters were a bit confused in getting us seated- no one was there to greet us. They could no suggest anything special for the day or recommend anything from the menu that would be good. The steak was overdone and dry. The location is nice but could do with a little directions on the ground floor hall of the Spitalfields market as the restaurant is located on the second floor so a bit hard to spot.
- We had a great time at LetoptablejoanneDined on 25/2/2012We had a great time at Le Bouchon Breton, but we certainly paid for it! Food was fantastic, but a starter each, then main (admittedly cote de boeuf to share) and cheeseboard between us, with an average wine came in at over £200 - phew! Staff were much more on the ball than usual though, and the menu has been given a bit of a revamp. Will definitely hold out for another of their offers though instead of paying full price.
- A fanstastic experience andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/2/2012A fanstastic experience and everything was great, the service was friendly and very efficient the food presentation was great and flavours were balanced especially the terrine, whilst the red onion jam was incredibly delicate too. The sirloin steak was flavourful, my only criticism would be a very very small one and whilst it did not detract in the slightest from the overall experience one of the oysters was minuscule in comparison to the others we ate. Have been a fan of the sister restaurant on battersea rise for a while and great to see their high standards being met at breton!Special Features:
- Not only does Le BoucheronmatadoraDined on 14/2/2012Not only does Le Boucheron Breton feel like a football pub trying to be a French restaurant, the food tastes like how you'd imagine it would taste should Ikea's restaurant decide to serve French food. I'm happy to pay 70 pounds for a dinner for two if you can taste how the person who cooked your food actually cared about it. But when it tastes like the sauce was made with Tesco's powder gravy, it feels like a robbery. Very disappointed.
- Le Bouchon Breton 8 HornerJohnnyslapVIPDined on 13/2/2012Le Bouchon Breton 8 Horner Square, Old Spitalfield Market, London, E1 6EW Nice environment and busy for a Monday evening. Service was poor but food good
- Very average dining experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2012Very average dining experience, not nearly worth the cost. Noisy, chaotic service. Big disappointment.
- It was good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012It was good but not great. Drinks too expensive. The £10.00 deal at lunch is good value.
- Le Bouchon Breton: a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2012Le Bouchon Breton: a lovely French brasserie in Old Spitafields. Once you have found it, then rejoice in the frog legs, snails and cocquilles St Jacques. The steaks are also excellent and served with real "frites". Not too noisy for a business lunch but with some atmosphere.
- Lovely food and prompt serviceSdc1VIPDined on 7/2/2012Lovely food and prompt service although the atmosphere was surprisingly lacking for lunchtime in the City.
- Very much enjoyed dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 30/1/2012Very much enjoyed dinner and the food was surprisingly good. Had the fish stew which was excellent. Service was attentive and polite. Altogether a very pleasant experience.