Le Café Anglais
8 Porchester Gardens
London, W2 4DBNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
Le Café Anglais
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecafeanglais.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7221 1415
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Sunday 12pm - 3.30 pm
Brunch: Saturday 12PM - 3:30PM
Monday to Thursday 6.30 - 10.30 pm
Friday and Saturday 6.30 - 11.00 pm
Sunday 6.30 - 10 pm
Monday to Saturday 12pm - 10.30pm
Sunday 12pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, British, French
- Executive Chef: Rowley Leigh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Did you know that our roaming magician visits every Sunday lunchtime?
He’ll keep your children spellbound with his incredible magic tricks, giving you a moment to enjoy some grown-up time and have a thoroughly relaxing Sunday. Yes, it is still possible with children.
A word from Le Café Anglais
West London's finest restaurant. Offering superb food and drink in a chic and stylish restaurant, Le Cafe Anglais is the ideal retreat for a luxury meal or a relaxed Saturday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Le Café Anglais - Best restaurants in Bayswater ›
Le Café Anglais reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since 24 November 2013
business meals (61)special occasions (60)fit for foodies (53)sunday lunch (43)child friendly (28)group bookings (28)romance (25)brunch (24)disabled access (16)good vegetarian options (15)pre/post theatre (13)outstanding value (8)afternoon tea (4)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- End of an eraGmaloneDined on 18/11/2014This is one of my favourite restaurants in London. Rowley's unaffected cuisine is absolutely to my taste. So, I and my regular dining companions were devastated to learn Cafe is to close on 19th December.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jut love it to bits - it is so special - quality +SadtoloselittlesicilyDined on 14/11/2014We go once a year as a special treat, the kipper pate with soft boiled egg was magic, as was my 55 day aged white pork, also very special was the dauphinoise potatoes - I usually find these too rich but the gentle richness of these were perfect. I do hope it survives for a long time more. Everyone is so lovely and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - lacking in ambienceCindyVIPDined on 8/11/2014Cafe Anglais always has lovely food and this occasion was no exception. We had booked an early dinner on a Saturday (7pm) and found we were one of only four tables in the establishment which meant that it was quite quiet. Food was good and service was very attentive. I find that the price for sides is very expensive relative to other establishments of equal standing but other than that it is a good venue for a nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/location pity its closingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Very good food and service, dining room not full probably because Rowley has sold it to his landlord and they are running it down to redevelop the site. Great shame I hope he reopens somewhere else in LondonSpecial Features:
- overpricedHarrireviewsDined on 25/10/2014The restaurant looks lovely and is undoubtedly a nice place to eat but the food is very overpriced. A steak with a small portion of chips and one vegetable dish (the very expensive main courses don't come with vegetables) will set you back nearly 40 pounds for the main course! This is more expensive than Michelin starred La Trompette but the food is really not as good....
- On the way out........nastygnomeDined on 22/10/2014Getting ready to close, and it showed! Almost empty, the staff were lifeless and couldn't be bothered even to look in your direction. Sad to see: it had been one of my favourites but now - on a Wednesday lunchtime- just 5 other diners. News travels fast! Food was OK: no more than that. Sad. Will be missed.Special Features:
- DISAPOINTED!hampshirefrenchDined on 18/10/2014Not as good as it used to be! The Restaurant was near empty, our waitress had difficulty understanding us and the service over dinner was poor. Food was not as good as on previous occasions and this was a little bit embarrassing as we were entertaining a group of friends we had not seen for a while. We had travelled from Hampshire to have dinner in London but were somewhat disappointed with our choice.
- GreedygutsGreedygutsDined on 29/9/2014Cafe Anglais continues to be a quiet and calm oasis in a desert of noisy, tightly-packed and hectic places - the trendier the noisier they tend to be. The cooking is well-executed being based on the traditional French brasserie repertoire and using excellent seasonal raw materials. Good wine selection. Attentive but not intrusive service.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/9/2014Food pretty tasteless, crockery not clean, cobwebs hanging from ceiling. This was our second visit - we first went shortly after it opened. We won't go again.
- Very comfortable, stylish diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014Friendly, polite, helpful service with unusual well cooked dishes. Very comfortable seating. Quite expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- JamesJamesDDined on 7/9/2014Went for Sunday lunch. Its very quiet - not many people. Magician wasn't there that was a disappointment to my son. Food is ok/good but over priced. One of those places that adds a charge to your bill for purely turning up. Nothing special. There are much better places to go for the money they charge. Seems to have gone down hill in the last couple of years. Wont be rushing back.Special Features:
- Good food and wineHowie53Dined on 20/8/2014I had dinner last week. This is an old favorite of mine and the food and wine are consistently good. Service was a bit patchy--friendly but overstretched and had to make multiple requests for the same items.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchMansoDined on 17/8/2014Have been several times before, usually quite good. Apparently the Sunday lunch is a feature of LCA. I found the main course very pedestrian with indifferent chicken and very overcooked vegetables. A poor showing.
- londonrainDined on 15/8/2014Had dinner with my friend on a Friday night. The oyster platter we had was just so-so, compared to those I had in a restaurant specialising in seafood a few days ago. Otherwise the food was nice, including the steak and the prawns in green curry we had. I especially liked my dessert (coconut ice-cream with grilled pineapple and chilly sauce). Service was excellent. Atmosphere was good but it may be because the place wasn't fully booked that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatwannabewinnerDined on 15/8/2014I read the reviews with interest and was looking forward to going to Le Cafe Anglais for dinner. It was fine, it wasn't bad and it wasn't great. The restaurant is on the first floor and is a lovely room. The kitchen is open and I did notice a rotisserie with a few chickens on it, I had a chicken ceasar for starter and the chicken was very tender and flavourful, probably due to being very fresh. The style of food is firmly stuck in the nineties but it's well cooked and probably popular with an older crowd. The service was perfunctory but it wasn't terrible. Dinner for two with a glass of wine and a bottle of water came to just over £100 including service charge, so not bad value, probably the same as you'd pay in a Cafe Rouge.
- JohnDined on 25/7/2014Very good food and attentive but unfussy service and a very light airy restaurant make this restaurant a real pleasure, plus they usually have oysters which I love. A small but good wine list and you dont have to break the bank to get something good to accompany your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still goodxuhuVIPDined on 18/7/2014We arrived at a reasonable time but many items on the menu were no longer available and even some of the substitutes were sold out. Spacious and airy dining room always a pleasure to be in, food is competent rather than great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a great dining experiencenoigelDined on 29/6/2014Brought friends for Sunday lunch - their first time but not ours. They loved it. Great food and a wonderful ambiance. Still our favorite resto in London - consistently excellentSpecial Features:
- Disappointing overallFoodlover67Dined on 26/6/2014Maybe it's because I came to this restaurant with high expectations that I felt so let down. But I know why. The parmesan custard was outstanding, and I thought the rest of the meal would follow suit. it didn't. My chicken breast came lukewarm, as if it had been left aside while my husband's meal was cooked, and that shouldn't happen in any kitchen. I was too hungry to send it back, and as our waiter changed with every course, there was no one to ask. The queen of puddings was also a let-down. Then my latte, requested as one shot, must have been translated into 'weak' and came searingly hot because it was full of water, undrinkable. Time for Rowley to take a firm hand. Until he does, I can't recommend Le Café.Special Features:
- LovelywilburooDined on 17/6/2014Lovely lunch in a light and airy setting. Several Rowley Leigh trademark dishes on offer; all special, but just can't eat them all at once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Cafe AnglaisgusfamDined on 7/6/2014We arrived at the restaurant at opening time and were the only table, but it was soon bustling. Everything was delicious, and the wine list was full of food-friendly wines. The room is bright with huge multi-paned windows and high ceilings, with a gorgeous crystal chandelier over the bar area. The chef was in the open kitchen, and clearly overseeing every dish that left the pass. We had read about Le Cafe Anglais a write up in Conde Nast about London "beyond the pub" restaurants, and it did not disappoint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant dinnerxuhuVIPDined on 7/6/2014I like spacious bright airy dining spaces of Le Cafe Anglais even more than the convenient location. think the roast chicken won today over the slow braised lamb shoulder - but my son's burger was too dry and he rated it below the GBK version.Special Features:
- Was it a hiccup?CinnamongirlDined on 5/6/2014Le Café Anglais has featured among our local favourite for many years. However when we returned with a couple of friends recently, we were quite disappointed. Whilst the quality of the food, the wine menu and the service were still top-notch, we found the choice on the menu to be limited and the cooking somewhat lacking creativity. Hopefully it was just not a good day, and they will make up for it next time!Special Features:
- Solid Cooking and Good SurroundingsShowMeDined on 5/6/2014The service was professional and prompt although a bit lacking in charm. The menu is well balanced and cooking solid with attention to detail as evidenced with my crisp and perfectly cooked red mullet which was presented beautifully. My guest was from the USA and was unfamiliar with some of the items and asked for an explanation and was not put at ease when receiving the explanation. The final bill came to £160 for two with pre-dinner drinks, two carafes of wine and three courses and after dinner drink. I found it a bit pricey but for the location and surroundings, not that bad.Special Features:
- Very good againdumdumsDined on 1/6/2014We have had very good meals recently here and Sunday lunch was no exception - usual great food well cooked - great choice and value - we'll be back again!!Special Features:
- Le cafe anglis for dinnerHerMajestyDined on 29/5/2014This is a restaurant with a lovely ambience, , a feeling of space and light, unexpected. The food was very well cooked and the service immaculate. Well worth a long lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- So enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 27/5/2014The cooking is perfect, the service is friendly but professional. A great place for a discreet business lunch. I have always had a nice time here, the chef / patron knows what he is doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ambienceanonymousDined on 25/5/2014Came here with a group of friends ranging between 32-70. Loved the options available for 2/3 course meals. The service and food was amazing and good value - £330 for 6 people including 2 bottles of wine.Special Features:
- Great lunchHonestsgt1Dined on 24/5/2014We visited for lunch, we had chosen it because it has a fairly straightforward menu which would suit our 8 year old. Food was very nicely cooked if unexciting (but then that is why we booked). On the whole starters were better than mains. Portions were large. The dining room is lovely and spacious, our table for four was big and comfortable. Nicely chosen wine list and good advice.Special Features:
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/5/2014We found many of the dishes we ordered surprisingly lack lustre. We are sorry about this as it used to be very good and the decor is stunning. We hope that Rawley Leigh will give some attention to his restaraunt as clearly at present he is no longer involved in even menu planning let alone execution. when i complained the staff knew exactly what I was talking about, they immediately took the cost of the dessert off our bill. They were all trying so hard, but very much let down by the kitchen. for example our lettuce hearts were ordinary lettuce hearts drizzled with what tasted like a supermarket bottle of salad cream. YUK. Sorry. i loved this resteraunt, I am sad to have had this experience.Special Features:
- Brilliant as alwaysdumdumsDined on 11/5/2014As always the food and service is superb here and good value for the quality. A lovely wine list which offers good value for such an establishment - we'll be back!!Special Features:
- Family Sunday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Great for families with children. Quick service, delicious roast beef and potatoes with Yorkshire pudding.. The magician is always appreciated with all children. Food and wine choice for the adults is great.Special Features:
- Very good option in BayswaterHowie53Dined on 10/5/2014We had a very nice Saturday evening at Le Cafe Anglais. The food and wine were excellent and the prices appropriate--perhaps a bit on the expensive side for the vegetarian options. The service was excellent and I very much like the ambiance.Special Features:
- Good food & serviceAdelilneDined on 30/4/2014I visited with my parents and even though we sat after our reservation time none of the staff were pushing us to sit or to order out food, which was nice. It surprised me to see that it wasn't very busy, as it was 7:30 on a Wednesday. I ordered the Veal Chop, which was cooked a little less than I liked and the waitress took it back to the kitchen immediately. No questions asked, as you would expect in a good restaurant in London. The chef also sent us new portions of the side dishes when my meat came back - which I thought was a lot nicer than just keeping warm whatever was lingering on the plate. Our waitress was very understanding even to my silly requests and helped us have a lovely evening.
- macaroonVIPDined on 27/4/2014Excellent with the kids, even had a magician doing an act. Great food and friendly staff. It is too good for its current location which does it no favoursSpecial Features:
- Five star food in QueenswayJaneBDined on 15/4/2014Comfortable with a discreet air of opulence. The fennel and (proper French) fish soup excellent with real depth of flavour. Gnocchi were a fabulous vegetarian main course and the lamb was very good, just a bit too much gravey. Pain perdu dessert lacked a bit of zing. Wines by the glass were really well chosen and the service could not have been better. All in all, a wonderful lunch and very good value. We have been raving about it since and recommending it to our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunch is a great offer.FlicVIPDined on 5/4/2014Especially if you fancy old classics like Omelette Arnold Bennett; or beef hash with chilli eggs - great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top marks for food and venuePaul05VIPDined on 4/4/2014We've been, several times now, to this place. The room is beautiful, one of the nicest you'll find in London. Big, high ceilings, massive windows -- a classic Art Deco vibe to the place. The food is always very good, with a menu that changes enough to keep it interesting. My only minor complaint is that the service is very hit and miss. "We might have another drink" means just that, not "please nod and disappear for 10 minutes." Likewise, just too many moments where you feel like you've been forgotten. Don't get me wrong, the staff seem very nice, and seem to be trying their best - I just wonder if they're inexperienced or that the place is perhaps understaffed. Overall though, more than worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatVickiBDined on 3/4/2014Perfect place to dine early with guaranteed parking as we had 2 hour drive home ahead. Arrived at 6.30, the staff so nice that just three of you dining then you don't feel alone. The menu is varied - you can eat grandly or have a snack. Kir Royale and cocktails helped us recover from the day. Then oysters, the crab, chilli spaghetti and fish soup, all spot on followed by Thai fish curry ,- carpet burger with fried oyster. Great puds for two, pain perdu with apricots and sorbets all just right. By now the restaurant was quite full, a couple with well behaved children , - two regulars seemed like three times a weekers - people dressed up and celebrating and many more,, a lovely mix we hadn't noticed them arrive, a delicious brasserie.Special Features:
- Nice ambienceCharles4VIPDined on 1/4/2014This is a real good place to bring your friends because of the ambience. It was my first time and best on what I heard about it, I expected more from the food that was actually quite traditional on not very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.