Le Cafe du Marche
22 Charterhouse Square
London, EC1M 6DXNeighborhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
Le Cafe du Marche
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedumarche.co.uk/
- Phone: 02076081609
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2.30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French, French
- Executive Chef: Simon Cottard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
Piano and double bass, or solo pianist, play jazz music every evening in the Café.
- Public Transit:
The nearest tubes are Farringdon and Barbican. Overground: Farringdon Thameslink.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details:
There are 'pay and display' places in the NCP car park in the square next to the restaurant. In the evenings, you can park in the nearby streets (single yellow lines).
A word from Le Cafe du Marche
We are a French restaurant in the heart of Smithfield – in fact, we are three restaurants. You will find us at the end of a cobbled mews, approximately 40 yards from Charterhouse Square and Charterhouse Street. The Café is open for lunch Monday to Friday (12 pm to 2.30 pm) and for dinner Monday to Saturday (6 pm - 10 pm). The Café is the main restaurant on the ground floor serving predominantly provincial French cuisine. Upstairs we also have Le Grenier, a similar restaurant with a greater emphasis on grilled dishes. Le Rendezvous, our brasserie, is round the corner on Charterhouse Street.Continued
We have been here for nearly 25 years – but in case you haven't found us previously, we would like to invite you now.
We have been here for nearly 25 years – but in case you haven't found us previously, we would like to invite you now.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Le Cafe du Marche - Best restaurants in Barbican ›
Le Cafe du Marche reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since 5 May 2014
business meals (106)romance (96)special occasions (85)fit for foodies (67)pre/post theatre (15)group bookings (13)outstanding value (11)good vegetarian options (9)sunday lunch (9)brunch (5)outdoor eating (4)afternoon tea (3)child friendly (1)Show More
- Lovely restaurantSandGDined on 28/8/2014We had a delicious meal in this lovely restaurant. Excellent service, wonderful ambience and great food all topped off by music from two delightful gentlemen playing a double base and piano. Memorable evening out.Special Features:
- Anniversary meal8wellDined on 13/8/2014Lovely French restaurant with cosy feel exposed brickwork and the night we went a pianist and double bass player playing jazz and adding to the ambiance. Had the set course menu the beef was cooked to perfection, staff were very attentive and my wine was topped up regularly without me having to ask. There was an easy going atmosphere with couples and also a few groups would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Café Du Marche was lovely - it is a small café style restaurant with simple, yet effective décor and a subtle and homely ambience. The staff were very attentive and the food was great. I would definitely go back and would recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Weekday DinnerJuliaB7VIPDined on 7/8/2014We were a group of 4 & the place was very busy. Following the classic French bistro style - we were like sardines at the table - elbow 2 elbow with our neighbours. If you're at all large, you will feel cramped. Menu is good, but seemed a little limited - would be good if they could do steak for one person as it is they offer cote du boeuf for 2. Staff were friendly & quick. The food was good, but I would not consider it a place to go for outstanding value. Lively.Special Features:
- Always goodReadingRoomDined on 30/7/2014Had a very pleasant late lunch downstairs - summer breeze blowing through the door, gentle hum of conversation, clink of glasses and attentive service. Friendly menu with pleasing range of Southern French dishes, my octopus / chorizo and chick pea starter spot on and the lemon sole main was a treat. Relaxed and informal enough but still grown up. Recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du MarcheDerekDined on 23/7/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and the food, ambience and service is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but service fallinghungryVIPDined on 11/7/2014This is a regular haunt for me and the food is always dependable and very good. This time round it was again excellent food, though the service was a little off... seemed that the staff was very confusedI would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentN1dinerDined on 4/7/2014An old favourite where standards have remained high. I had a perfectly-cooked risotto followed by the cote de boeuf which was an outstanding piece of meat cooked brilliantly well. Great fries. All-in-all, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding1510caroDined on 1/7/2014My boss took a client to lunch here and they were really impressed. Well done!Special Features:
- Little bit of France in SmithfieldsEasytigerDined on 30/6/2014Tucked away and a real discovery, once inside you are transported to a fine French bistro and if the piano is being played, you are transported back in time too. Food is excellent although my starter of chick pea, chorizo and octopus, was mainly chick pea. Reasonable wine list, so no need to break your budget. Perfect for taking a few clients away from the hustle and bustle... Or a rendezvous- vous with a good friend! Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/6/2014excellent evening - great new menu. Spoilt for choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysRogerDined on 27/6/2014This is a hidden gem which never disappoints. often with background live jazzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnfinDined on 26/6/2014Excellent service with good quality food and winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 23/6/2014OK food and pleasant and attentive service, but overpriced for what it was
- ExquisiteNinaLDined on 18/6/2014As ever the food was a gourmet's delight! Subtle flavours - real flavours. The lamb for two people was perfectly cooked and straight from a farm - you could taste the quality. Perfect service as ever. We will be returning!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceGreenwichGirlieDined on 18/6/2014Went here for a business lunch and really enjoyed both the food and service. Will be going back again with my husband!Special Features:
- Quality French foodContactDined on 17/6/2014This is a French restaurant with charming ambience on the edge of the City of London. It offers good and consistent quality food, reasonably priced wines and friendly service.Special Features:
- RanieriDined on 7/6/2014the service was excellent. Wine was not so great. food was very good but a bit too much. may be a bit less and less cost would be better very charming location and good ambiance. I will certainly recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to excellenceCrisDined on 5/6/2014Had not been to Café du Marche for some years, but fancied something properly French for a business lunch and it delivered perfectly. We just ate the main course Cote de Boef served hot on a wooden plate to share with ;perfect Béarnaise sauce, fresh salad and first class chips. Great touch( as the steak was rare,was to heat up the second half of our substantial portion which cam sliced to the table. Charming service- enjoyed having a large table for two-and very sound house wine in white and red. Cannot wait to return and hope this dish stays on the menu as it is very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerdkh1705Dined on 31/5/2014A good choice of dishes and very tasty they all were too. Good attentive service in an attractive roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du Marche - great valueLizRVIPDined on 24/5/2014Still the best for French food in the area. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- A bit of France in the CityAshtonDined on 22/5/2014We have been several times for dinner, mostly for special occasions. Not cheap, but food, wine and service are all good. Nicely informal ambience.Special Features:
- Consistently good!LeisurelydinerVIPDined on 19/5/2014Staff attentive / food well prepared and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night in SmithfieldLolloDined on 17/5/2014I've now been to this restaurant half a dozen times and always been impressed. The list of dishes on the main menu seems somewhat unchanging but there are always two dishes of the day to widen one's choice. The wine list is also modest but the selection has been well made. My Brouilly was slightly pricey for a Beaujolais but turned out to be an excellent Cote de Brouilly. On the last visit I nervously chose the fish soup which rarely achieves French heights in this country but was again a success. My main course was duck confit served on cabbage. Excellent. A good sized moist and well-seasoned portion. If you love France and French cooking and the atmosphere of a French cafe you won't be disappointed by a visit to Cafe du Marche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great impromptu dinner!DoctorDaveDined on 13/5/2014Booked same day for 4. Very fortunate in that when we arrived they'd just had a cancellation so were able to sit downstairs (where they have a live pianist). Great meal, absolutely delicious! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchNeveronadietDined on 13/5/2014Took some clients to Le Cafe du Marche and was very impressed with both the service and the food. Would go back and probably take friends this time!Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/5/2014An excellent meal: crisp, fresh flavours. I also appreciated the space between tables, which gave a certain sense of privacy, and the friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Good traditional French foodFrogDined on 9/5/2014Café du Marche continues to provide that genuine French bistro food that so many others try to emulate. They do the favourites really well - so an excellent cote du boeuf with frites is hard to resist. They also provide a good range of lighter alternatives including good vegetarian options. As you would expect the cheese board is a delight. Service is friendly and cheerful but can be a little slow - not the location if you are in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely return thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014All was good except table which was a bit small but next time they promised us a larger oneSpecial Features:
- Would definitely recommendSJACDined on 26/4/2014Booked a special birthday meal here sight unseen and was very happy with the result - the upstairs restaurant with its airy barn-like ceiling has a relaxed but impressive feel to it that gives a sense of occasion while not being in any way intimidating or pretentious. Straightforward French food without fuss (great frites) and very good service - I was talked through the gluten-free options in a way that inspired confidence, which certainly isn't always the case elsewhere. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 26/4/2014Excellent as pretty well nearly always. Menu updated fairly regularlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 16/4/2014Good food, great service and really nice ambience. Not too pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutement!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/4/2014This is everything a French restaurant should be - a quiet atmosphere, background music subtle enough to allow for conversation, charming staff and a good menu: enough choice, but focused and tight enough to reassure. Apparently the downstairs part can be noisy, especially if you don't want your conversation drowned out by a pazz pianist. But upstairs was great - and passed all the best tests for proper French food. Including the perfect green salad.Special Features:
- A favouriteCitydinerDined on 9/4/2014Lots of ambience, lovely simple French food , excellent service - what's not to like! Prices not bad for London. This small restaurant is difficult to find but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent findRobbatDined on 8/4/2014Meeting my daughter halfway between the West and East end we decided on an evening meal here, as we could both meet at St Pauls tube and walk from there. I hesitate to recommend this for fear it will become too difficult to book again, but we couldn't fault it. Nothing pretentious, just great ingredients superbly cooked and presented by charming people in a delightful atmosphere. What's not to like? Many thanks: we 've recommended to friends unreservedly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessIanPDined on 5/4/2014Brilliant food, incredible service (especially from the manager, Sophie. We were a large party but it was a flawless dinner. Sublime salt beef, the most succulent roast lamb, crispy pork belly and an specially incredible flourless chocolate.birthday cake. Couldn't recommend the restaurant more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good birthday mealhappycustomerDined on 4/4/2014Really enjoyed an evening out with my family for a birthday meal. Good ambience and very civilisedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerineedtogetoutmoreDined on 25/3/2014My wife and I had dined at Le Cafe du Marche once before and had good but fading memories of the experience. Stepping through the door at about 7.00pm we were greeted warmly, our reservation checked and shown to a table in a central location. The room was full of pleasant chatter and despite being surrounded by other tables we were not dominated by other's conversations. Service was attentive yet relaxed and the decor shabby chic. A short but well chosen list of wines at various prices is available, the menu is varied and reassuringly short giving confidence of each dish being lovingly crafted. Fresh ingredients dominate and the aroma of other diners meals waft pleasantly around the room. An Jazz duo added to the evening. 10/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate setting for lovely foodMc4ManusVIPDined on 22/3/2014We were seated upstairs on Saturday evening. Lovely setting. Intimate and romantic ambience. Service was slow which was strange as there seemed to be enough staff. The food however was worth the wait. I started with goats cheese wrapped in cured ham while my partner chose the risotto. Both were very good. We shared the cote de boef for main course and this was delicious. We shared Paris Brest for dessert. Excellent food and the wine (Chevrey Chambertin 2009) was also very good value. We'll definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du Marche worth a visitFoxbottDined on 20/3/2014A very pleasant and enjoyable evening with friends who know and like this restaurant; easy to chat as contented diners' noise comfortable, not overwhelming. Well presented dishes; perfect risotto primavera and companions rated as excellent the leek and sardine ensemble. Competently prepared, good quality ingredients for tasty confit of duck, calves liver and guinea fowl mains; perfect french fries appeared by magic just as we were wishing we'd ordered some; superb strawberry mousse and divine truffles with good coffee. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.