Le Cafe du Marche
22 Charterhouse Square
London, EC1M 6DXNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £41 and over
Le Cafe du Marche
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedumarche.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7608 1609
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2.30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French, French
- Executive Chef: Simon Cottard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
Piano and double bass, or solo pianist, play jazz music every evening in the Café.
- Public Transit:
The nearest tubes are Farringdon and Barbican. Overground: Farringdon Thameslink.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details:
There are 'pay and display' places in the NCP car park in the square next to the restaurant. In the evenings, you can park in the nearby streets (single yellow lines).
A word from Le Cafe du Marche
We are a French restaurant in the heart of Smithfield – in fact, we are three restaurants. You will find us at the end of a cobbled mews, approximately 40 yards from Charterhouse Square and Charterhouse Street. The Café is open for lunch Monday to Friday (12 pm to 2.30 pm) and for dinner Monday to Saturday (6 pm - 10 pm). The Café is the main restaurant on the ground floor serving predominantly provincial French cuisine. Upstairs we also have Le Grenier, a similar restaurant with a greater emphasis on grilled dishes. Le Rendezvous, our brasserie, is round the corner on Charterhouse Street.Continued
We have been here for nearly 25 years – but in case you haven't found us previously, we would like to invite you now.
We have been here for nearly 25 years – but in case you haven't found us previously, we would like to invite you now.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Le Cafe du Marche - Best restaurants in Barbican ›
Le Cafe du Marche reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since 22 November 2013
business meals (103)romance (89)special occasions (86)fit for foodies (70)group bookings (16)pre/post theatre (16)outstanding value (11)sunday lunch (9)good vegetarian options (8)brunch (6)afternoon tea (4)outdoor eating (4)child friendly (1)Show More
- Always deliversAM60LondonVIPDined on 11/11/2014Cafe du Marche never disappoints. The staff are friendly and attentive and the food is absolutely fantastic. It is great value for money too. It's location means that there are lots of business lunches and dinners taking place but it still feels friendly and intimate despite that. One of the best restaurants in Smithfield area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant surprisegwc333VIPDined on 8/11/2014Le Café Du Marche was a very pleasant last minute surprise - great quality food, wine and very friendly staff. Would definitely like to return to this venue!Special Features:
- Autumn Lunch at Cafe du MarcheANTOINEVIPDined on 5/11/2014A very enjoyable and long overdue visit to an old favorite adjacent to Smith Field Market. This a great place if you like french food and a restaurant where you could easily imagine you were in France. The starters were really enjoyable, the service was excellent and the main course "specials" of Hake and Pheasant were both excellent. Added to that the house red Burgundy was very drinkable. We won't leave it too long to return to the Cafe du Marche which always seems to maintain standards in ever changing world in the restaurant business.Special Features:
- Good food, as usualGastroUB40Dined on 30/10/2014Relatively narrow choice but well prepared food. Unfortunately the wine was corked but the staff were happy to replace promtly and courteously. Nice friendly atmosphere with some unobtrusive live music. Tables a little close together though.Special Features:
- Lovely atmosphereGirlDined on 25/10/2014Had a lovely evening where they catered to a large group, easy to book and very relaxed and friendly. One slight improvement would be to consider veggie option and make sure that the starter and main are a bit ,ore varied mushroom followed by mushroom is not all that appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish FrenchfussygourmandDined on 24/10/2014Excellent value, delicious seasonal options, thoughtful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classical FrenchNotripe4meDined on 23/10/2014Fine food with authentic French café-restaurant ambience.Special Features:
- Just really niceMartinkyDined on 17/10/2014Certainly going back again! Food was great, wine choice was great, staff were very friendly and attentive at the right times. We were sitting upstairs tuck away in the corner and just added to our anniversary meal. Felt like it was a small french restaurant! Brilliant. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Beautiful French cusineMYK83VIPDined on 9/10/2014Amazing choice and the quality of food was outstanding - great service and lovely atmosphere in this cute French restaurant.Special Features:
- Genial hostOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 25/9/2014Good food, superb service and excellent wine list. The best part though was the Maitre d' / manager who was humorous and attentive and who brought a person charm to the atmosphere of the place.Special Features:
- LolloDined on 20/9/2014This is an excellent traditional French restaurant with an interesting standard menu and some adventurous 'specials'. The wine list is brief but thoughtfully assembled and the service is first-rate. The restaurant operates on two floors and there seems no way in which one can choose between the two locations when booking. It can, on busy nights, become somewhat overcrowded downstairs with waiters having to squeeze between tables and the noise level rising above that which is comfortable for conversation. But in an age of chrome and mirror minimalist restaurants this slightly old-fashioned comfortable venue is a valuable reminder of the pleasures of French cuisine and French ambience.Special Features:
- Consistently superbBaronessDined on 10/9/2014Been going there for years and it is always consistently excellent, convincingly authentic French food with a pleasant buzz, lively crowd and excellent wine list. We chose upstairs this time as downstairs can be noisy if the piano is playing, fine when there's just two of you but difficult to have serious conversation round. Upstairs is not quiet but one can hear everyone on the table. I would recommend this restaurant for pleasure and business, well worth the cost.Special Features:
- Mid Week business lunchNeilVIPDined on 4/9/2014Took a couple of clients there on a Thursday for lunch. Very personal service. The menu has recently changed. Highly recommend the Beetroot rissotto with sauteed chicken liver and the slow cooked pork belly. If two want to share the Le Boef is excellent as well. A hidden gem.Special Features:
- disappointmentckcmbDined on 3/9/2014We chose the restaurant based on the reviews as "best French restaurant in town" for a romantic dinner- which turned out to be completely untrue. We ordered the beef for 2, medium cooked- came overcooked and very dry. The waiting staff especially the ones who took the orders were so unfriendly and unhelpful- just wanted to read the specials as quickly as they can and leave with no interest in answering our questions on the items in the menu which was mostly in French. Yes, it is a French restaurant but we still live in the UK!!! Given that it is not a cheap restaurant it was so not worth it- just go to any other "French" restaurant and you will have a better experience.
- Lovely restaurantSandGDined on 28/8/2014We had a delicious meal in this lovely restaurant. Excellent service, wonderful ambience and great food all topped off by music from two delightful gentlemen playing a double base and piano. Memorable evening out.Special Features:
- Anniversary meal8wellDined on 13/8/2014Lovely French restaurant with cosy feel exposed brickwork and the night we went a pianist and double bass player playing jazz and adding to the ambiance. Had the set course menu the beef was cooked to perfection, staff were very attentive and my wine was topped up regularly without me having to ask. There was an easy going atmosphere with couples and also a few groups would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Café Du Marche was lovely - it is a small café style restaurant with simple, yet effective décor and a subtle and homely ambience. The staff were very attentive and the food was great. I would definitely go back and would recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Weekday DinnerJuliaB7VIPDined on 7/8/2014We were a group of 4 & the place was very busy. Following the classic French bistro style - we were like sardines at the table - elbow 2 elbow with our neighbours. If you're at all large, you will feel cramped. Menu is good, but seemed a little limited - would be good if they could do steak for one person as it is they offer cote du boeuf for 2. Staff were friendly & quick. The food was good, but I would not consider it a place to go for outstanding value. Lively.Special Features:
- Always goodReadingRoomDined on 30/7/2014Had a very pleasant late lunch downstairs - summer breeze blowing through the door, gentle hum of conversation, clink of glasses and attentive service. Friendly menu with pleasing range of Southern French dishes, my octopus / chorizo and chick pea starter spot on and the lemon sole main was a treat. Relaxed and informal enough but still grown up. Recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du MarcheDerekDined on 23/7/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and the food, ambience and service is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but service fallinghungryVIPDined on 11/7/2014This is a regular haunt for me and the food is always dependable and very good. This time round it was again excellent food, though the service was a little off... seemed that the staff was very confusedI would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentN1dinerDined on 4/7/2014An old favourite where standards have remained high. I had a perfectly-cooked risotto followed by the cote de boeuf which was an outstanding piece of meat cooked brilliantly well. Great fries. All-in-all, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding1510caroDined on 1/7/2014My boss took a client to lunch here and they were really impressed. Well done!Special Features:
- Little bit of France in SmithfieldsEasytigerDined on 30/6/2014Tucked away and a real discovery, once inside you are transported to a fine French bistro and if the piano is being played, you are transported back in time too. Food is excellent although my starter of chick pea, chorizo and octopus, was mainly chick pea. Reasonable wine list, so no need to break your budget. Perfect for taking a few clients away from the hustle and bustle... Or a rendezvous- vous with a good friend! Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/6/2014excellent evening - great new menu. Spoilt for choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysRogerDined on 27/6/2014This is a hidden gem which never disappoints. often with background live jazzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnfinDined on 26/6/2014Excellent service with good quality food and winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 23/6/2014OK food and pleasant and attentive service, but overpriced for what it was
- ExquisiteNinaLDined on 18/6/2014As ever the food was a gourmet's delight! Subtle flavours - real flavours. The lamb for two people was perfectly cooked and straight from a farm - you could taste the quality. Perfect service as ever. We will be returning!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceGreenwichGirlieDined on 18/6/2014Went here for a business lunch and really enjoyed both the food and service. Will be going back again with my husband!Special Features:
- Quality French foodContactDined on 17/6/2014This is a French restaurant with charming ambience on the edge of the City of London. It offers good and consistent quality food, reasonably priced wines and friendly service.Special Features:
- RanieriDined on 7/6/2014the service was excellent. Wine was not so great. food was very good but a bit too much. may be a bit less and less cost would be better very charming location and good ambiance. I will certainly recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to excellenceCrisDined on 5/6/2014Had not been to Café du Marche for some years, but fancied something properly French for a business lunch and it delivered perfectly. We just ate the main course Cote de Boef served hot on a wooden plate to share with ;perfect Béarnaise sauce, fresh salad and first class chips. Great touch( as the steak was rare,was to heat up the second half of our substantial portion which cam sliced to the table. Charming service- enjoyed having a large table for two-and very sound house wine in white and red. Cannot wait to return and hope this dish stays on the menu as it is very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerdkh1705Dined on 31/5/2014A good choice of dishes and very tasty they all were too. Good attentive service in an attractive roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du Marche - great valueLizRVIPDined on 24/5/2014Still the best for French food in the area. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- A bit of France in the CityAshtonDined on 22/5/2014We have been several times for dinner, mostly for special occasions. Not cheap, but food, wine and service are all good. Nicely informal ambience.Special Features:
- Consistently good!LeisurelydinerVIPDined on 19/5/2014Staff attentive / food well prepared and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night in SmithfieldLolloDined on 17/5/2014I've now been to this restaurant half a dozen times and always been impressed. The list of dishes on the main menu seems somewhat unchanging but there are always two dishes of the day to widen one's choice. The wine list is also modest but the selection has been well made. My Brouilly was slightly pricey for a Beaujolais but turned out to be an excellent Cote de Brouilly. On the last visit I nervously chose the fish soup which rarely achieves French heights in this country but was again a success. My main course was duck confit served on cabbage. Excellent. A good sized moist and well-seasoned portion. If you love France and French cooking and the atmosphere of a French cafe you won't be disappointed by a visit to Cafe du Marche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great impromptu dinner!DoctorDaveDined on 13/5/2014Booked same day for 4. Very fortunate in that when we arrived they'd just had a cancellation so were able to sit downstairs (where they have a live pianist). Great meal, absolutely delicious! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchNeveronadietDined on 13/5/2014Took some clients to Le Cafe du Marche and was very impressed with both the service and the food. Would go back and probably take friends this time!Special Features: