Lotus Lounge - Durham
39 Saddler Street
Durham, DH1 3NUNeighbourhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: £25 and under
Lotus Lounge - Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lotus-lounge.co.uk/
- Phone: 01642 355558
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 9:30am - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Martin Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
A word from Lotus Lounge - Durham
A mixture of finely crafted culinary delights brought to you from China, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. Open from 9.30am until midnight 7 days a week, serving everything from brunch to light lunches, cocktails and relaxed fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Lotus Lounge - Durham - Best restaurants in Durham ›
Lotus Lounge - Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since 27 November 2013
special occasions (27)fit for foodies (20)romance (19)group bookings (19)pre/post theatre (12)business meals (10)good vegetarian options (9)outstanding value (5)sunday lunch (3)brunch (3)child friendly (2)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- Amazing placeCoxy1967Dined on 16/8/2014Found this little gem of a place having had a disastrous start to a night out in Newcastle, we ended up in Durham trying to find a decent place to eat. I read the reviews on here and the Lotus Lounge sounded like my kind of place so I booked a table for 2 for my friend and I as she was up from London for the weekend. Wow we certainly weren't disappointed. The food was fabulous, the ambiance was lovely and the staff couldn't do enough for you so I would definitely recommend to anyone wishing to have a lovely meal out. Try it - you wont be disappointed.Special Features:
- Delicious, fresh food!WebbyDined on 11/7/2014A night out with a group of friends was a great experience at Lotus Lounge. Staff was friendly and helpful, although a little scatter brained and clumsy! (Spilled drinks, forgotten drinks orders). Would recommend to groups or couples. Food was delicious and authentic pan Asian style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family lunchTreborioDined on 5/7/2014Great venue for a family get together. Excellent range of food choices especially as some people don't like spicy food so everyone was happy with the menu. Good service and friendly staff. Would go back again.trebprioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant night outHanGDined on 21/6/2014A very pleasant night out with a friend. Good service and decent food.Special Features:
- Excellent food and good service :-)SnowdropDined on 14/6/2014Having dined here a few times last year, initially being very good, then it seemed to go down hill with rather bad service and food taking forever to arrive, we had not been for a while, but I am really pleased it's back to being a very good place for food and fantastic cocktails, the dishes including fillet of beef are delicious, and the chicken satay is rather good as well, (my favourite starter) I have been twice recently and both occasions have been great, I'm so pleased.Special Features:
- would not recommend!mealmisiDined on 14/6/2014We booked a table for four on a Sat eve at 8pm. The restaurant was half full but the service was very slow. I had to reorder the same drink three times before it appeared. Portion sizes small and overpriced. Having a ten per cent service charge applied to an already large bill was not appreciated. Needless to say we certainly didn't pay it. We won't be returning and would not recommend
- Great Food, but Slow ServicearobsonDined on 13/6/2014We had a table for 2 booked on Friday at 7.15pm. When we arrived we were taken straight to our table and our drinks order taken (disappointed none of the draught beers were working?!?) The food was great, (beef skewers to start were amazing, followed by Pad Thai and Fiery Thai Red Curry) but the service was very slow. After our mains were finished we asked for the desert menu and were forgotten about and after 15 minutes I went to the desk and asked for the bill. The restaurant is nice and the food is too, however for the price tags on the food/drink I expected better service and would most likely choose Zen over the Lotus Lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fantastic mealDAL146VIPDined on 27/5/2014We had two courses again, both beautifully cooked. We are working our way through the menu and are yet to find a meal we didn't enjoy. We had a bottle of wine. Overall a very enjoyable experience with excellent food, excellent service, and again a much better option than other Asian restaurants in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding yet again!!DAL146VIPDined on 10/5/2014We were extremely impressed. The service was unobtrusive but immediately present when required. The food was absolutely amazing both times we visited - but we made better choices the second time. First time we had the soup starter and chicken satay and both were awesome. We had the duck (a tad dry) and pad thai (does what it says on the tin but not amazing) for mains, We recommend steering clear of these though, after our second visit, when we had the soup (again) and beek skewers (AMAZING!) - we shared them - and we had thai green curry and pork belly for mains, which were both outstanding. We could not be more pleased to find a better restaurant than the more well known (and much worse value) other asianin restaurant in Durham.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/4/2014We were slightly apprehensive about eating here because of the very mixed reviews, but we had a lovely evening! The food was delicious. I am vegetarian, and the chef made me a lovely curry (not on the menu) that didn't contain any fish sauce. It was packed full of veggies, which sounds obvious, but doesn't always happen! Service was prompt and friendly, but we didn't feel pressured or rushed. It wasn't too loud - although we were there between 8.30pm and 9.30pm so maybe during a quieter time? Prices were fairly reasonable for the quality - although we didn't order many drinks.Special Features:
- OutstandingAmberDined on 19/4/2014The place itself it lovely and relaxing our meals were beautiful and the staff were very helpful with everything their were a few things on the menus we not not sure of but the staff talked us through them and were very polite I had the duck platter for main course and would recommend it I will be going back !!! Also the house rosa wine was very tasty !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Treat4FoodiesDined on 12/4/2014The dishes myself and my companions ate were delicious. Really friendly staff and very accommodating and helpful with our request to share the food amongst ourselves tapas style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff were friendly and serviceChrisDined on 5/4/2014Staff were friendly and service OK. Food was shocking, it was the worst oriental food I have paid for. We ordered ribs and thai fish cakes to start, these were average at best. For main ordered Singapore Vermicelli. It was truely awfull, Cooked very badly with poor ingredients, tasteless. To top it off, a £60 bill, (includes to drinks each). I would not return to the Lotus Lounge or recommend it to others. On the evindence of the food served I would not expect it to be open long.
- relaxed but great foodPeter2theeaterDined on 28/3/2014went in for a meal after a busy day and had a great meal with my wife. The food was excellently prepared and cooked and distinctive. The thai curry about the best we have had. Really pleasant atmosphere and the staff were attentive but not pushy. We were visiting the city and we were only sad that this restaurant was not in our home town because we would be visiting it regularlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and below average foodNotchoosyDined on 22/3/2014The noise in the restaurant was unbearable. Lots of diners had obviously had rather a lot of the old vino and unfortunately the building amplifies the screeching and shouting. The food was garbage with overlooked rice and meat. I could have eaten the noodles with a knife and fork they were so dry and sticky. The service however was excellent and the head waitress was very understanding and removed both main courses from the bill.Special Features:
- Excellent foodPammy999Dined on 22/3/2014Food was delicious, service was good, food selection was good. I would recommend this restaurant to people as I was very impressed.
- Great eveningDAL146VIPDined on 14/3/2014My husband and I had a lovely night in the great ambience. The decor is modern. The restaurant overlooks the river at the back. My husband had the prawn soup to start and said it was the most amazing soup he'd ever had. He had duck for main and it was nice but could have done with a sauce. I had chicken satay which was lovely and then pad Thai which did what it said on the tin. Overall we had a fantastic night, the restaurant is great, we would definitely go back, but with a fee tweaks the food could be amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok but nothing specialnatsDined on 8/3/2014Food was ok but nothing special for the price. Had to wait a while for drinks we got our food before we got out drinks.
- Not As Good As Previous VisitsBevwevDined on 28/2/2014This is the third time I've been. It's usually been brilliant but this time the main course let it down. My friend and I had the Tuna steak. I'm not sure if the chef has changed but it was completely different to the last time I had it. It was dry and covered in dried chillies. My friend sent hers back. I would go back as this could have been a blip. It has previously been brilliant. The service is great. The menu choice is good. A really nice restaurant. Not for people with mobility issues. Lots of stairs around the place and steep ones to the loos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningpentmightDined on 28/2/2014Lovelywhich was well prepared and super fresh. Good for vegetarians, I had the tofu which was very tasty. Service was friendly and fairly fast. Overall great value and would strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely restaurantSootyDined on 27/2/2014We've been to the Lotus Lounge a few times recently and love the food, atmosphere is very relaxed, restaurant is very smart and staff are very helpful and friendly. Would definitely recommned this restaurant and have done to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night out at Lotus LoungePamrDined on 21/2/2014Girls Friday night out in Lotus Lounge, Durham. The food was absolutely beautiful and the cocktails were the best we have had anywhere. The restaurant was pretty, immaculate and had a lovely atmosphere. The stand out thing on the evening was the customer service, all of the staff were so pleasant , helpful and attentive from the moment we were greeted at the door. Brilliant night out, can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMiniMDined on 15/2/2014Previously had some good meals here but was left disappointed on this occasion.
- Excellent ServiceKEVKIMDined on 18/1/2014From walking in to leaving the staff could not do enough for you, without being overpowering. The food was very tasty and nicely displayed. The prices for food and drink were not cheap but also not over the top. It was well worth the money we paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good but menu very limitedDaveMacDined on 21/12/2013We generally enjoyed our meal at the Lotus Lounge but felt that the menu was too limited. We expected this somewhat from having seen the online menu but found that the actual menu was even more limited. Particularly disappointed that the dim sum were not on offer. Service was very good and the staff were very nice. As it was a cold wintery night we had big coats and it would have been nice for these to have been taken by the waiting staff rather than left to hang over the back of the chair. Will probably not go back due to the limited menu which is a bit of a shame.
- Brilliant service when offeringLovingfood2013Dined on 20/12/2013Brilliant service when offering to take drinks to the table for us, we had a lovely warm welcome when we walked through the door, we felt we weren't rushed at our table and sat for quite a while afterwards having a drink or two, online booking was really handy and very easy to use, I liked it because I could book any time of the day, plus the reminders were useful to confirm that we still had a booking. Food was beautiful. Overall a fab experience, we will be retuning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful place to eatparkyDined on 20/12/2013we attended this restaurant and this was our first time, ive got to say the food was beautiful to look at and beautiful to taste, I would recommend going, we will definitely be goin back its exceptional.Special Features:
- Average food, noisy restaurantWeaglesDined on 14/12/2013Bit disappointed by our meal at the Lotus Lounge having read such good reviews. Service was the restaurant's only redeeming feature, good and very friendly. As soon as we sat down at our table we could feel the floor vibrating with the thud, thud of music from a neighbouring bar, it was like eating in a nightclub, only not actually getting to hear any music! The waitress said the noise was often a problem and she'd get the Manager to have a word with the bar "again". The food was average and a bit on the stodgy side to be honest, the rice was so sticky you could eat it like mashed potato. Disappointing, maybe a bad night for them but we won't be back.Special Features:
- Scrumptious!StevesgirlDined on 14/12/2013My partner & I both loved the food & service. We will definitely be going back again. the sharing platter was a delicious selection of 4 starters you could order individually. The Thai fish cakes and salmon were particularly nice. I then had the lamb which was cooked to perfection, served with sweet potato mash (yummy!) and veg. Loved this meal. The dessert I had was the sticky toffee pudding which was exceptional (& a nice quantity). A wonderful touch to be served with banana ice cream (although would have enjoyed another scoop!) . The service was friendly, helpful & efficient. The only negative was that it was quite loud in the restaurant but it was a week and a half before christmas so it was busy. Overall, our new favourite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Asian FoodFoodIsArtDined on 30/11/2013I tried out the restaurant with two friends on Saturday night: what a gem hidden in plain sight in the city centre! Atmosphere was nice and staff were friendly. Food arrived quickly and was great, very good portion size. Only slight criticism was that on a small table for three by the time we had a bottle of wine, jug of water, two glasses each, two sets of cutlery, chopsticks and our meals it was a bit crowded: menus, flower and candle had to be relegated to the windowsill/floor. I would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Lotus Lounge - Durham reviews archive.
- Best Asian in TownBeansonToastDined on 14/11/2013Wonderful atmosphere and food to match. The best Asian restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere and friendlywhiteteethDined on 9/11/2013Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff, very helpful. Delicious food! one of my favourite restaurants. Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early evening mealSC81Dined on 26/10/2013I booked the lotus lounge for a meal with friends based on good reviews. The meal overall was ok and service was fine, but not good value for money and nothing special at all. We were also disappointed that a 15% service charge was automatically added as we'd prefer to choose if and how much to tip. For Asian food I would recommend Zen in Durham which is much better quality and vfm.
- AverageLovegoodfoodDined on 16/10/2013Average food, wine took too long to arrive especially considering the restaurant was empty. Nice place and heard the food is normally great so will give it another try.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseTheSmilerDined on 11/10/2013First time dining at The Lotus Lounge and I am sure I will visit again. Pleasant environment, friendly staff and good food equates to a lovely evening. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Durham!DelightedDurhamDinerDined on 4/10/2013I have been to the Lotus Lounge twice now and both times have been fantastic. The food is delicious, definately worth the slightly higher price you have to pay (which actually isn't that much), you can really taste the quality of the ingredients and how they have been put together. The same applies to the cocktails, they taste fantastic and are presented really well. The service recieved was top notch, the staff were extremely attentive, knowledgeable and helpful. For me the timing of the courses was spot on too. My first visit with a family group of 7 was handled just as professionally as when I went more recently just with my girlfriend. This place is highly worth a visit! P.S. Highly recommend the Teriyaki Chicken Don MMM MMMMMMMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy !MiniMDined on 27/9/2013Fantastic food and beautiful cocktails and really friendly staff what more could you want ! My third visit to this restaurant and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome food and servicegdb123Dined on 18/9/2013Service with a smile and awesome food. Really enjoyed my visit.and would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentwhiteteethDined on 8/9/2013Excellent food and atmosphere, lovely staff warm and friendly. Good price & delighted menu. Well balance. Definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy anniversaryTonyNDined on 4/9/2013This is my 3rd visit to Loutus Lounge Durham and it gets better and bette. This visit was for my 20th Wedding anniversary and i did put a note on the booking and they brought out a lovely dessert with chocolate writing saying happy anniversary compliments of the resturant. We loved it. The cocktails are great and in our last trip the barmen supervisor was happy to go off piste for me and made me a great bourbon drink not on menu. Lottie is a great server and full of life and is very good with menu knowledgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.