242-244 Upper Richmond Road
London, SW15 6TGNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.ma-goa.com/
- Phone: 020 8780 1767
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tues-Fri: 12 - 2-15pm, Sunday 12.45 - 1pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6.30pm - 10.30pm, Sunday 6.00pm - 10pm
CLOSED ON MONDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Sushma Kapoor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We cater for small canape parties to weddings up to 200 people. We also have a barbecue service. Call Deepak on 07887953165
A word from Ma Goa
This popular Putney favourite serves authentic Indian cooking, typically served in Indian homes. 'Ma' Kapoor continues to cook and advise her excellent team and can still be found bargaining for the freshest produce in Southall and Tooting. The emphasis here is on simple spicing and fresh seasonal ingredients and they cook little and often to ensure this, so don't be disappointed if they occasionally run out of dishes. The menu crossed many boundaries from Goa to Mumbai with Nepali, Persian and Pakistani influences and more taken from uncles, aunties, grandparents, and friends. This friendly team are happy to suggest dishes to create a well-balanced meal and cater for special dietary requirements.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Ma Goa - Best restaurants in Putney ›
Ma Goa reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since 23 November 2013
fit for foodies (54)special occasions (41)good vegetarian options (40)group bookings (37)romance (27)sunday lunch (25)business meals (20)child friendly (15)outstanding value (15)disabled access (6)pre/post theatre (5)brunch (2)Show More
- Authentic Indian foodRsswDined on 1/11/2014Lovely food, friendly staff. Lamb shank is particularly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best curry everMcGoDined on 25/10/2014Amazing - hadn't been for about 8yrs and I've no idea why! Will be my new regular haunt when I want something spicy. Went with friends from outside of London and they described it as the best curry they'd ever had. Really reminded me of the curries my Dad used to make when we were younger (his father was from Goa). Service was great - just the right level of attentive. Quite expensive compared to regular curry houses but soooo worth it. Ambience not perfect - something missing - not sure what. Anyway, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goan FoodJules6Dined on 15/10/2014Being Goan myself, I would expect at least some of the Goan dishes to taste authentic. I had the sorpotel, chicken xacuti and , Goan fish curry and none were what they should be. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- RoddersDined on 10/10/2014Exceleent foor and very good value. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great food!HelenveggieDined on 30/9/2014A lovely, friendly restaurant with really efficient service and delicious food. As two vegetarians we couldn't have asked for better.Special Features:
- Very niceRobjdjjxjDined on 23/9/2014Had a good meal here, lots of interesting flavours and not heavy at allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPublisherKirstyDined on 19/9/2014Though they had a shorter summer menu due to staff absences, the quality of the food was great. Great service as well- very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodeplauVIPDined on 19/9/2014Brill menu, flavoursome food! Woudl definately return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian with a differenceMartiniBDined on 30/8/2014This place is fantastic, it's 10 yrs since my last visit and the food is still amazing, the atmosphere is good, the service is good but my wife got the wrong starter, which they rectified with no fuss and were very apologetic. The starter I ordered was a bit too similar to my main, so it felt like I was eating the same dish, I ordered it, so that's my fault, but an attentive waiter who knows the menu may have given a bit of advice at that point. Still minor grumbles, when I return I will order fish for the main, my wife had the sea bream and it was really, really good. I had the Porco Vindaloo which was bursting with flavor. Bit more pricey than your average Indian, but worth every penny. Highly recommended if you are ever in SW15.Special Features:
- innovative food, well preparedmasoudafarinkiaDined on 21/8/2014the food at Ma Goa is very different to a 'standard' curry house. while I cannot vouch for its authenticity, every item we had was well prepared and flavorful. Ma Goa also has a better than average beverage list and an extensive choice of wines.Special Features:
- True Goa CookingLiveToEatDined on 8/8/2014As per usual the food was delicious and the service excellent, and so much more pleasant to have good, traditional and authentic food rather than the same old "curry" as we Brits call it. Thank you Ma Goa for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Best Indian in PutneyEndafDined on 3/8/2014Great restaurant. Simply a cut above all the Bangladeshi places - this is real Indian cooking and the only Goan place I know. Wonderful.Special Features:
- Friends reunionputneyboyDined on 17/7/20147 of us got together to celebrate old times, the wine and good food in superb presentation didn't disappoint, the flavours were sumptuous and all dishes sampled by the group were met with approving nods and grunts as people were enjoying it so much. Several of the guys were serious curry critics and were silenced by the quality and taste. A flavoursome experience which has surpassed the majority of indian restaraunts I have been too. The staff were welcoming and attentive. Will be back soon for sure!Special Features:
- Not your usual IndiandonskiDined on 11/7/2014A long established family run Putney Indian, but specialising in Goan dishes. Unusual and attractive menu. Tasty, well-prepared and nicely presented food. Popular and well regarded by the locals. My only criticism is that it is cramped, the tables are small, and the noise level when full makes normal conversation impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as usualhebriDined on 5/7/2014Very good food and service. A lot of vegetarian options. Lamb shank was very tender and perfectly roasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top indian restauranthebriDined on 29/6/2014Every time when we are in London we visit Ma Goa. The food and the service is excellent. We will definitly come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goan gourmetMJC1Dined on 27/6/2014Enjoyed good meal at Ma Goa in Putney on a Friday night. Made to feel very welcome straight away. Interesting menu, not a typical Indian restaurant. Inexpensive wine list too. Only slight criticism is that the tables were close together so it felt a little cramped and it was quite noisy, perhaps partly because of the low ceiling. But I would certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodZarathustraDined on 27/6/2014Great flavours, nicely presented. I'd recommend this restaurant to anybody who wants something other than an ordinary Indian meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/6/2014Ma Goa is one of our favourite restaurants, providing consistently good, tasty food with a wonderful friendly service.Special Features:
- Nice ambience, spicy, originalGogsesDined on 14/6/2014I'm Punjabi and my wife is Kashmiri so we know our spices. We ventured forth and asked for spicy food with the a peculiar disdain reserved for England's curry house definition of spicy. I ordered a Vindaloo and my wife ordered some food for cows (with hot-sour gravy). Both were spicy enough that the underlying curry taste didn't come through. Full points for authenticity and originality (like stuffed papads) but a reality check on taste needs to come first.Special Features:
- Seafood curry with unusual flavoursMoonzgrubreviewsDined on 30/5/2014The Ma Goa hits the mark again with both the staters and main course. It is the differences to usual Indian cuisine that Goan cuisine that makes the Ma Goa specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealfinedinerVIPDined on 30/5/2014Have been here loads of times. Staff are always nice - this time the service wasn't quite as good as usual (we kept asking for water which eventually came, we had to push for them to put the air con unit on as we were boiling and had stripped down to our last layer!). Food was tasty as it always is. The lamb main was pretty salty and so we left most of that, but other than that a good night.
- Fabulous dinner in inviting placeFoodluverDined on 30/5/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Ma Goa--the food is beautifully seasoned and presented. The lamb was so tender and literally falling off the bone. Our waiter was attentive and made wonderful recommendations. And the owner was also attentive and ensured we enjoyed our dinner. We will go back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fresh FoodEmilyDined on 30/5/2014Authentic Indian food. I usually play it safe and go with a Chicken Tikka Musala at most Indian restaurants, as this wasn't on the menu I branched out. We all ordered different mains to share - every single one was something we had not tried before and was absolutely delicious. Everyone was very impressed - we will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good we went back 2 days laterbritericanDined on 29/5/2014We had a fabulous meal here, great tasting food (possibly the best Indian I've had), good choice of wines as well. The mango sorbet was amazing by the way! We enjoyed it so much that as we walked past a couple nights later, on our way to another restaurant, the smell pulled us in for another amazing meal. Seamless service both times, also loved that our waiter recognised us. I have every intention on visiting Ma Goa plenty more times in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply deliciouslizzfizzDined on 24/5/2014Delicious food All the dishes we tried were so tasty. Want to go back to try more of the menu choice. ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding authentic Goan foodVickiDined on 17/5/2014Ma Goa never fails to serve up Goan food with a twist. Perfect escape from the westernised take on Indian food and adds a bit of something special to Indian cuisine. The only fault I could find is that the ambience is perfectly fine but nothing special.Special Features:
- Outstanding!PJinPutneyDined on 17/5/2014Our favorite restaurant in Putney...can't recommend it highly enough. Divine food and lovely hosts. Always a culinary delight to eat there!Special Features:
- A romantic eveningJoJoDined on 16/5/2014We went here fora romantic evening out. The owner and his team were charming attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Perhaps a little quick to serve the food. The place has a nice buzz and avoids the cliched indian restaurant style. The food was excellent value and delicious without exception. All sounds a bit over the top, but it really is a super restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealClaveDined on 16/5/2014Came here for dinner and the meal was lovely, cannot fault it at all. Would definitely recommend. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent family run localNoonooDined on 14/5/2014I've just moved to Putney and am trying out all the local restaurants. My friend and I were the first people in there at 7.15pm on Wednesday, but it filled up by 8pm. Friendly service and excellent food, spinach with paneer and chicken on the bone in tomato based sauce were particularly good. Prices were happily affordable, although it's a shame there aren't midweek offers to compete with the range of deals on elsewhere. The decor is somewhat vapid.
- Very goodsdtgDined on 10/5/2014Had dinner here with my parents who were visiting from the states and we had a great meal. Food and service were fantastic! I highly recommend.Special Features:
- As ever, almost perfectStuieBDined on 9/5/2014I go to Ma Goa reasonably regularly for years, it's by far my favourite restaurant of the Indian genre in the UK. I never fail to be impressed by the originality and creativity of their cooking – my latest treat was a fabulous crab concoction from the daily specials, it was sublime. The wine list is similarly creative, I adore Alentejano (Portuguese) reds, and the choice – Grous – I made on this visit, while not cheap, was absolutely perfect with the rich and spicy crab. I always work on the premise that you get what you pay for. This is most definitely worth paying for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top eveningMrsPuttersDined on 25/4/2014The food was delicious - a good choice, well described, with not too lengthy a menu. The service was attentive and informative. The restaurant was full when we arrived at 7.45 and there was a constant stream of people all evening - always a good sign. This was our first visit to Ma Goa and we will certainly be going back. Would definitely recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMelFromWimbledonDined on 17/4/2014We went to Ma Goa with my parents to celebrate my birthday and we weren't disappointed. The value for London and such a great food was amazing. The ribs for starter and slow cooked lamb for main were the stars of the meal. Also a good wine list! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SmileyMinDined on 12/4/2014The setting was relatively informal, intimate & lively and the food as excellent, if not better than some of the top Central London Indian restaurants we've been to. The service was friendly and food promptly delivered cooked to order. The variety between meat, veg or seafood/fish offered on the menu was excellent and their desert menu likewise. I had a 'simple' green curry chicken which was so special in its flavour, good sized chicken breast pieces and lots of delicious sauce. We barely had room for the lovely deserts but managed the kulfi of the day, mango which was one of the best we've ever had- memorable!. This was our first visit,,attracted by its inclusion in the book Capital Spice and we highly recommend it, and will be back.Special Features:
- Authentic Goanese foodPariVIPDined on 10/4/2014If you want to sample some authentic unpretentious Goanese fare in a buzzy yet homely ambience, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday dinnerRebecca29Dined on 5/4/2014I visited Ma Goa on 5 April 2014 for a birthday dinner with my boyfriend. He's a committed meat eater and I'm a vegetarian, so we don't always like the same restaurants! But with Ma Goa there's no problem - we were both beautifully catered for. The food is incredible and portions are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful cookingEwaf88Dined on 3/4/2014Popped in midweek with a friend and had a lovely meal. My Lanbshank was as good as any I have had. A few weeks previously I had a meal on Sunday evening and was delighted to find they had a Sunday special of a Keema curry. This was really special and probably the best I've ever had. I wish I could have the recipe.Special Features:
- Love goan curries! Not overlyblanquishVIPDined on 1/4/2014Love goan curries! Not overly creamy, both meat and fish options are outstanding.Special Features: