152 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2TUNeighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magdalenrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02074031342
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 12:00PM-2:30PM Dinner: Monday-Saturday 6:30PM-10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Magdalen
Sited close to London’s Borough Market, Magdalen sources largely British and seasonal ingredients to produce classical European food served in a warm and comfortable environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
Magdalen - Best restaurants in Bermondsey ›
Magdalen reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since 21 May 2014
fit for foodies (174)special occasions (151)business meals (146)romance (119)group bookings (28)pre/post theatre (22)outstanding value (21)good vegetarian options (20)sunday lunch (10)brunch (9)disabled access (8)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (2)Show More
- Great DinnerAJHfoodDined on 11/9/2014Had a great dinner Thurs night - excellent food and service. A bit pricey for what it is but would still go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a celebrationskipzDined on 10/9/2014On arrival we were greeted by a warm welcome and our waiter throughout was attentive & friendly. The service of food was timely, however the wine did take a while to arrive. For starters we had braised cuttlefish and the beetroot/duck egg dish. Both were tasty and perfectly cooked. Mains were hake with borlotti beans and the gnocchi with spinach & ricotta. I'll be honest, I was disappointed that gnocchi was the only veggie option (their sample menus had such better selections) however it was divine! Melt in the mouth - best I've even had! The hake was apparently delicious too. No need for sides, decnet portion sizes. Pretty good value (£85 3 courses, 1/2 btl wine for 2 ppl incl service). Would recommend for a special occassion.Special Features:
- Inventice perfect French cuisineRobeatswellDined on 10/9/2014Great atmsophere. Lovely decor. The food is so inventive and not the usual boring fare served up by some French restaurants. Such a creative menu and a perfect wine list too. Have been here many times and will be a regular for a very long time I think. If you like good French food and want something a bit more creative than the usual boring fare, you need to give this place a try.Special Features:
- Welcoming feelFusion2467Dined on 6/9/2014The food was very good - I had fish stew in a tasty sauce, but the thing I liked about the restaurant most was the overall welcoming ambiance. We walked from the river front and the scale of buildings there is huge and modern and this restaurant felt more on a human scale and people focused. The other diners looked like they had high IQ rather than high bank balance. Having said that our meal for 2 (2 courses) plus wine came to £100 which I felt was expensive but I seldom eat out so probably I'm out of touch with restaurant prices. But I would recommend this place - I doubt you will regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagdelenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014wonderful French cooking, great for a special occasion but slightly pricey.Special Features:
- Perfect for an anniversarywheatlesDined on 6/9/2014We came here for our first wedding anniversary and had a spectacular meal. The starters were immaculate but it was the sharing joint of beef that really set it off. It was, simply, one of the best meals I've ever eaten - I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something a bit differentDinersDined on 1/9/2014The food is very inventive but it works! Service was a bit slow. Wines are good value for money.Special Features:
- Oustanding food!BenJDined on 9/8/2014The food at Magdalen was incredibly good quality; we both had lemon sole with shrimps and samphire (I think!), which was beautifully cooked and had loads of flavour. The fried potatoes in duck fat were so good, I could have had a bowl of them alone! Really good. Would not have noticed this place usually, but so glad we did. The dessert was also excellent.
- What you want when you go outMasaikeVIPDined on 9/8/2014I have been to Magdalen on six occasions (lunch and dinner) and I have always had a delicious meal, fine wine and been served with friendly yet unobtrusive attentiveness. The tables are well spaced, the room is elegantly decorated - smart enough to be a restaurant, but not a gleaming temple. Everything - food, wine people and place - are in excellent taste. If I owned a restaurant, this is what I would like it to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, small portionssmilingdinerDined on 6/8/2014My golden rule with restaurants is the food and service should not distract from the conversation/occasion. Here, the slow service definitely did - after a while you can't help being distracted by thoughts of "when oh when will the food arrive, I haven't got all day". And when it does arrive? Being disappointed by the portion size continues to nag at you for a time, even while trying to hold a conversation. I ordered fish stew, and was told it came with potatoes so no need for chipped potatoes as an extra - good I thought. But...just one potato?! The food itself was OK - tasted good.
- Excellent and inventive French foodRobeatswellDined on 5/8/2014Really interesting menu - none of the usual boring fair too many 'French' restaurants serve up. Beautifully prepared food, well presented, inventive combinations and a real joy. Second time here and will certainly be coming back again and againSpecial Features:
- kitchen more inspired than everpamplemousseVIPDined on 30/7/2014an se1 favorite gets even better. we're still talking about the mushrooms and the artichoke soup...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 29/7/2014I enjoy this restaurant very much and keep going backSpecial Features:
- Excellent all roundMalaikaDined on 18/7/2014Great food full of flavour, knowledgeable and friendly staff, interesting wine list and plenty of AC on the hottest night of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night outRobincDined on 18/7/2014Great place meeting in London - a real buzz. A great bonus of air conditioning considering it was over 30 centigrade outsideSpecial Features:
- Birthday MealsmallfamilycelebrationDined on 12/7/2014We had an excellent meal here again: all credit to David Abbott and his colleagues and staff.Special Features:
- Still uniformly goodfoodferretDined on 10/7/2014An excellent lunch, with original dishes all well cooked and served, without fuss or frills.Special Features:
- An excellent dinner with my parentsFrangipaniDined on 9/7/2014I booked at Magdalen for the last night of my parents' visit from Italy. They are elderly and, having had had some rather noisy dinners during the week which made it difficult to talk, I had asked for a quiet table if possible. We were given the lovely round table by the bay window which had only one other small table next to it - much appreciated and a very promising start. The service was charming and courteous, and the food was absolutety delicious. There was even lovely classical music playing (but quietly) in the background. Magdalen is a little on the expensive side but worth it. Grazie! PS: The bread was delicious and I bought my loaf from Bread Ahead this morning at Borough Market :-)
- excellent as everLewisDDined on 8/7/2014consistently excellent value and food! I keep returningSpecial Features:
- birdyVIPDined on 4/7/2014last minute booking so not surprising to have a pretty duff table, but appreciated being moved when we asked. Fab food, really well cooked. Charming staff. Decor a bit odd with burgundy walls - seems very 80's and rather oppressive.Special Features:
- 21st BirthdayCraigDined on 30/6/2014Excellent food, lovely ambience, friendly staff. My youngest daughters 21st Birthday shared with her family in a restaurant which excelled.Special Features:
- Lovely unusual foodBarnetbobDined on 30/6/2014We had dinner here for 4people.The menu is very interesting and was varied.We had a delicious dinner, all of us had different things and we all thought everything was excellent.The quail was wonderful.The staff were helpful and very knowledgeable.The wine list good.Our only observation would be the paper tablecloths which we didn't think much of and no bread plates?Why not? A lovely evening and by London standards reasonably priced.About £50 a head for 3 courses each, wine drinks ,coffee and service.We will be returning.Special Features:
- Unusual menuKathDined on 27/6/2014Lots of interesting flavour combinations on the menu. Starters of crab & fennel (nice) & duck salad (excellent). mains of turbot with tomatoes and a fantastic lobster sauce and hake with clams were delicious. Flourless chocolate cake was perfect for my GF husband and the French toast with strawberries was one of the most unusual, but fantastic desserts I've seen on a menu for a long time. Service was brilliant - staff were friendly and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealsmallfamilycelebrationDined on 26/6/2014It's been a while since we've been to Magdelen's, but the food was as original and excellent as before. The service was very good, and the availability of wine (again from offbeat sources) in 375cl carafes meant we were able to have different wines for the fish and meat. David Abbott and his partners are continuing to run a great restaurant.Special Features:
- A special eveningMarkBDined on 21/6/2014We had a lovely time dining at Magdalen. I took my parents and we met a couple of their friends there. The menu had many interesting options, with the baked turbot being a justifiably popular main choice. The ambience was delightful - a buzz but without overhearing other tables or us having to shout to make ourselves heard. Service was professional and efficient. There is 20% off if you present a Shard ticket from the day you dine which makes it good value.Special Features:
- Superb evening out.TheDiningMosesDined on 21/6/2014Wonderful restaurant with a menu that consistently changes and provides new things to try, very attentive but not over bearing wait staff and a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Can not rate this place highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatLondonFoodieDined on 20/6/2014Overall the ambience was great, food and service ok (for a restaurant that is in this price range and charges 12.5% on service upfront, service should be better, paper table covers and no side plates for bread, for instance, are two small examples where the restaurant under-delivered)...the food had great taste but didn't hace the wow factor.Special Features:
- Real gem - sophisticatedRobeatswellDined on 20/6/2014My first time at this restaurant and I will definitely return. It may become my new favourite. Everything you would expect from a sophisticated high-end restaurant in Paris. Beautiful elegant dining room with plenty of space between tables, linens etc. very pleasant ambience and you would think you were in Paris. We had the pan fried fois gras which was simply stunning with caramelised pear and then the kid (baby goat:-) which was so tender. One of the best meals I have had in London in quite a while without spending a fortune. only criticism is the wine - reasonably priced but my guest wasn't drinking so I could only have a glass and the 'by the glass' selection was limited - not even a half decent Chablis or Sancerre open was a surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at MagdalenfoodferretDined on 18/6/2014Still very much a neighbourhood feel to the restaurant, but a far from ordinary menu. Genuinely interesting dishes, all well cooked, and a sensible wine list. So nice too to have none of the flummery of amuse-bouches and other extras - just what you ordered, really well done and served.
- Enjoyable experience at MagdalenMmmTastyDined on 17/6/2014Interesting and unusual menu, always fresh, and imaginatively put together. I took colleagues there the other day, who are all quite discerning foodies... The next day, one of them made a point of telling me what a great meal it was and how she really enjoyed every course. High praise indeed! Service good, but discreet. Great evening.Special Features:
- Great Food, interesting MenuJohnEPDined on 16/6/2014This is a great little restaurant. A small but varied menu with some quirky and unusual items. Same for the wine list. The food was very tasty and the staff friendly and knowledgeable. We went as a couple, and then went back 2 nights later with our daughter. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably wonderful2foodiesDined on 16/6/2014We've been to Magdalen several times and each time has been a treat. Food is beautifully prepared and presented, with new and interesting dishes offered every day. The restaurant is small and charming, and the staff is knowledgeable and attentive. We'll go back any time we're in London. It's a real find if you're staying near Tower Hill -- it's easy walking distance or you can take the RV1 bus, which stops almost at the door. It's not inexpensive, given the strength of the pound vs the dollar, but by London restaurant standards, it's not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clealry a local favouriteSJSQDined on 10/6/2014Really enjoyed quite a quirky menu and high quality food cooked very well. Service excellent. The environment is slightly less appealing with paper tablecloths, and rather cramped. Completely full with suited diners which tells of its popularity with the More Place crowd I suspect.Special Features:
- Lacking in atmospherenickysevDined on 7/6/2014The service could not be faulted, incredibly attentive and friendly. The food was good, not outstanding but the main disappointment was the lack of atmosphere. The restaurant is relatively small and it was full but it felt like a library with no back ground noise. Very good choice of wines and I would recommend the lambs tongue and Pear/Almond TartSpecial Features:
- Good as evermod57Dined on 6/6/2014We used to eat here at least once a month, but with so many new resturants that keep on opening , we have not been here for a while. But got say that they stayed on top of there game, and its still one of the better resturants around, food and service fantastic, and we wont leave it so long befor our next visit,Special Features:
- Enjoyable as usual!MPMMDined on 30/5/2014Booked a meal for 2 on a Friday night. The restaurant was quiet. The service was excellent as usual and the food was great. I always enjoy the Magdalen experience and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Friday evening with friendsberttwoDined on 30/5/2014Every few months we arrange to meet up with some friends for a meal- usually in the London Bridge area as it is handy for us both to get home again after. This time we chose Magdalen - and wondered why we hadn't been before. An eclectic menu using some unusual ingredients served by an enthusiastic staff. We will be back again.Special Features:
- A very pleasant surprise!FAB1Dined on 29/5/2014The surrounding area has come up leaps and bounds in recent years and this restaurant reflects that improvement. I was recommended by a friend and found the food to be innovative, tasty and satisfying. The wine list is interesting too. It was even busy early evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than the sum of its parts...kdrcDined on 27/5/2014I remembered there was a reason I liked this place when I saw how many tables were well-dressed older suits and ties having bromance dinners. Excellent sirloin for 2 with anchovy sauce was just the thing to ward off the late May winter chill. Civilized ambience, a plus when noise and thumping soundtracks make so many places too loud to bring your dad these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and pleasantVickyDined on 27/5/2014We had a business lunch in Magdalen. Garlic soup was absolutely delicious, and roasted pork was very tasty as well. I would may be change the side dish from beans to lighter vegetables option as they felt a bit heavy with pork, but overall it was nicely cooked and tasty. Staff was very attentive to the special dietary requerements of one of our guests, which was appreciated. In terms of the ambience, I thought that it was very quiet in the restaurant and I would probably prefer a pleasant classical or light jazz music on the background. I will definitely come back and recommend this place to my colleagues and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.