152 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2TUNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.magdalenrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02074031342
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 12:00PM-2:30PM Dinner: Monday-Saturday 6:30PM-10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Magdalen
Sited close to London’s Borough Market, Magdalen sources largely British and seasonal ingredients to produce classical European food served in a warm and comfortable environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
Magdalen - Best restaurants in Bermondsey ›
Magdalen reviews from OpenTable diners
309 reviews since 22 October 2013
fit for foodies (185)special occasions (158)business meals (157)romance (126)group bookings (32)outstanding value (21)pre/post theatre (20)good vegetarian options (19)brunch (12)sunday lunch (12)disabled access (9)outdoor eating (2)afternoon tea (2)child friendly (1)Show More
- Will be back!ShongDined on 18/10/2014From the moment we walked in we were treated to seamless, friendly but not over bearing discreet but attentive service and the recommendations on the wine and food from the waiter was spot on (he not only knew what wines to go with the food but the provenance of the produce too). Fantastic starter of cuttlefish (sorry Jose of Bermondsey Street fame - yours is good but this was better!) and my pork was amazing. Sadly couldn't fit in a dessert as I was already feeling a bit of glutton. So this gives me a great excuse to come back for more!Special Features:
- French Style in SouthwarkGeordieGeoffDined on 18/10/2014Spending a weekend in London, we chose to have a Saturday evening meal at Magdalen , after looking at the on-line reviews - It was well worth it! Inside the style and décor has a real French style with dark panelled walls and old fashioned quite austere furnishings and white table cloths. Was really impressed by the service from a well informed and friendly waiter who was happy to explain enthusiastically the various items on the menu. Whilst the choice on the dinner menu is fairly small, the quality of the food was good and authentic and there was a reasonable wine list. A real local restaurant - such a change from the ubiquitous chains so common on our high -streets! Will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cas49Dined on 16/10/2014Great food in elegant surroundings. Just a bit marred by the noisy table of business people next to us.Special Features:
- Great place...carneliteDined on 15/10/2014The food is outstanding. The service impeccable & the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Very good, the revamp tastefullReegsDined on 14/10/2014overall a very good dining experience, I will return.Special Features:
- V. Nicebenj9990Dined on 10/10/2014Had an 8:30 booking for dinner on a Friday, quite a last minute booking. The wine menu is broad, and I had a lovely whiskey to finish dinner. I'm not a wine buff, but I do know whiskey and they had a fairly decent selection; better than most at least. The food is wonderful and very reasonably priced. Staff are courteous and accommodating. All round a lovely place for dinner.Special Features:
- Interesting MenugarybevDined on 10/10/2014We ate here on a busy Friday night. The food was innovative and tasty. The service was attentive and friendly. Would recommend if you were in this area. Not so sure about the salt brisket - but this was just a matter of my taste rather than any problem with the cooking.
- GREAT BUT A COUPLE OF ISSUESFriends4eatingDined on 10/10/2014Great restaurant recommended by family member having already booked a table elsewhere but we were delighted with the food, service and ambience. However the wine list was almost exclusively French, with a few Italian and Riojas, no New World, and not a good selection of liquers for this level of establishment. They didn't have the first 3 we asked for which were Drambuie, Grand Marnier or Sambucca in that order,so we eventually settled for Cointreau having exhausted more standard options, although were offered Grappa! We also ordered a cheeseboard to share between 4, 2 of the party having opted for puddings and it was less than inspiring and very small, but we didn't complain having had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. .Special Features:
- Simply the best!harry005Dined on 9/10/2014Fantastic friendly service and great food, I had cuttlefish and check pea starter with slow cooked belly pork for main, the crackling was excellent, and apple trifle for afters.... Yum yum yum, .. This place is a brilliant find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magdalen does it (yet) againPSAFVIPDined on 8/10/2014I must declare Magdalen is my favourite restaurant and also that of my other half's, so we went there for her birthday.As ever we were not disappointed. The heritage beetroot, duck egg and anchovies was exquisite, though I had to share it. For main, I had the baked pollock, she had the lamb – both were superb. We also had fried potatoes (delicious) and hispi cabbage. Nowhere cooks greens better than Magdalen and so we always order some, whatever the season. We finished with the apple tart, though she had vanilla rather than the nutmeg ice cream and I had the chestnut ice cream. it was great – both light and cleansing but with a satisfyingly smooth texture. As ever, a great experience and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TarzanDined on 7/10/2014Very comfortable ad relaxed atmosphere. I like the fact that the music was very low and just in the background. I had the fish stew which I thoroughly enjoyed. The portions looked very sparse but after 3 courses I was more than satisfiedSpecial Features:
- Excellent meal - great findSarahDined on 4/10/2014Booked this based on reviews for a special birthday meal. Had a lovely evening - great food and service. The perfect smart boutique type restaurant with Parisian chic serving delicious heart warming British seasonal food. Friends have subsequently also told me it's their favourite restaurant. Definitely on my list now. Thoroughly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassion Eatingdinner74Dined on 4/10/2014Celebrated our wedding anniversary at Magdalen on Saturday. What a great time ! The ambience was just right (none of your chain restaurant brightness here), the service was great, lovely wine and I haven't stopped telling our friends about the lovely food. For main course we had the Venison Pie - heavenly ! An oasis of a restaurant, conveniently located just 5 mins from London Bridge and so nice to be in a friendly, cosy environment - especially with the dark evenings coming. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- AveragefancydinerDined on 4/10/2014I was so disappointed in this place. The menu is extravagant, it is mostly Game, with other options only available for 2 person diners. The meat is served very rare, with no warning or option. The tablecloths are paper (canteen style). You have to serve your own wine as table service is lacking. The ambience is poor and cold, and unfortunately just a big let down.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT RESTAURANTreiverDined on 3/10/2014This remains an excellent restaurant in every department especially the English cooking which is outstanding. Disappointingly they now have a legalistic (but probably unenforceable) cancellation policy. Read the small print. I suggest not booking this restaurant under this policy but using it only for last minute bookings when you are certain you will be going. A pity, otherwise the quality is unchanged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantDine1Dined on 30/9/2014This is a fantastic restaurant very close to London Bridge and a beautiful riverside walk opposite the Tower. The menu is extremely carefully considered and the food, service and ambience are all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodjopubDined on 30/9/2014A very nice meal was marred by a large table of noisy businessmen, but I guess they have to eat somewhere! The food and service were excellent. We struggled with the wine list as apart from the wine's name and region of origin no other information was given. The couple on the next table to us were struggling too and asked the waiter for help which he wasn't able to provide. Very good could become excellent with an improved wine list that gives the client useful information about the wines eg light, medium or full bodied reds plus the aromas/flavours to expect and similarly for the white winesSpecial Features:
- FoodieDined on 25/9/2014After work dinner with a friend. Good food, good service and good value. Would definitely visit and recommend to othersI would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Excellent EveningPhilDined on 23/9/2014Enjoyed dinner at Magdalen very much indeed. I liked the surroundings and atmosphere, the menu was very interesting, the food delicious and the service outstanding. It's not cheap, but I think was very good value.Special Features:
- ShortstuffDined on 20/9/2014Another excellent meal - took my parents for dinner on Friday. Across the board, Magdalen never fails to impress.
- wonderful menuDavidDined on 17/9/2014this is the ultimate in cosy city retaurants. the menu is wide-ranging and imaginative and the choice is tremendous. good and inexpensive wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2eatDined on 17/9/2014This was my first visit to Magdalen and I will certainly be back. The service was great with friendly and knowledgable staff and the food was delicious, beautifully presented and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerAJHfoodDined on 11/9/2014Had a great dinner Thurs night - excellent food and service. A bit pricey for what it is but would still go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a celebrationskipzDined on 10/9/2014On arrival we were greeted by a warm welcome and our waiter throughout was attentive & friendly. The service of food was timely, however the wine did take a while to arrive. For starters we had braised cuttlefish and the beetroot/duck egg dish. Both were tasty and perfectly cooked. Mains were hake with borlotti beans and the gnocchi with spinach & ricotta. I'll be honest, I was disappointed that gnocchi was the only veggie option (their sample menus had such better selections) however it was divine! Melt in the mouth - best I've even had! The hake was apparently delicious too. No need for sides, decnet portion sizes. Pretty good value (£85 3 courses, 1/2 btl wine for 2 ppl incl service). Would recommend for a special occassion.Special Features:
- Inventice perfect French cuisineRobeatswellVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great atmsophere. Lovely decor. The food is so inventive and not the usual boring fare served up by some French restaurants. Such a creative menu and a perfect wine list too. Have been here many times and will be a regular for a very long time I think. If you like good French food and want something a bit more creative than the usual boring fare, you need to give this place a try.Special Features:
- Welcoming feelFusion2467Dined on 6/9/2014The food was very good - I had fish stew in a tasty sauce, but the thing I liked about the restaurant most was the overall welcoming ambiance. We walked from the river front and the scale of buildings there is huge and modern and this restaurant felt more on a human scale and people focused. The other diners looked like they had high IQ rather than high bank balance. Having said that our meal for 2 (2 courses) plus wine came to £100 which I felt was expensive but I seldom eat out so probably I'm out of touch with restaurant prices. But I would recommend this place - I doubt you will regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagdelenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014wonderful French cooking, great for a special occasion but slightly pricey.Special Features:
- Perfect for an anniversarywheatlesDined on 6/9/2014We came here for our first wedding anniversary and had a spectacular meal. The starters were immaculate but it was the sharing joint of beef that really set it off. It was, simply, one of the best meals I've ever eaten - I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something a bit differentDinersDined on 1/9/2014The food is very inventive but it works! Service was a bit slow. Wines are good value for money.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014very standard meal and lack of favour in the food. we tried two starts, two main courses and one desert. Nothing was specialSpecial Features:
- Oustanding food!BenJDined on 9/8/2014The food at Magdalen was incredibly good quality; we both had lemon sole with shrimps and samphire (I think!), which was beautifully cooked and had loads of flavour. The fried potatoes in duck fat were so good, I could have had a bowl of them alone! Really good. Would not have noticed this place usually, but so glad we did. The dessert was also excellent.
- What you want when you go outMasaikeVIPDined on 9/8/2014I have been to Magdalen on six occasions (lunch and dinner) and I have always had a delicious meal, fine wine and been served with friendly yet unobtrusive attentiveness. The tables are well spaced, the room is elegantly decorated - smart enough to be a restaurant, but not a gleaming temple. Everything - food, wine people and place - are in excellent taste. If I owned a restaurant, this is what I would like it to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, small portionssmilingdinerDined on 6/8/2014My golden rule with restaurants is the food and service should not distract from the conversation/occasion. Here, the slow service definitely did - after a while you can't help being distracted by thoughts of "when oh when will the food arrive, I haven't got all day". And when it does arrive? Being disappointed by the portion size continues to nag at you for a time, even while trying to hold a conversation. I ordered fish stew, and was told it came with potatoes so no need for chipped potatoes as an extra - good I thought. But...just one potato?! The food itself was OK - tasted good.
- Excellent and inventive French foodRobeatswellVIPDined on 5/8/2014Really interesting menu - none of the usual boring fair too many 'French' restaurants serve up. Beautifully prepared food, well presented, inventive combinations and a real joy. Second time here and will certainly be coming back again and againSpecial Features:
- kitchen more inspired than everpamplemousseVIPDined on 30/7/2014an se1 favorite gets even better. we're still talking about the mushrooms and the artichoke soup...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 29/7/2014I enjoy this restaurant very much and keep going backSpecial Features:
- Excellent all roundMalaikaDined on 18/7/2014Great food full of flavour, knowledgeable and friendly staff, interesting wine list and plenty of AC on the hottest night of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night outRobincDined on 18/7/2014Great place meeting in London - a real buzz. A great bonus of air conditioning considering it was over 30 centigrade outsideSpecial Features:
- Birthday MealsmallfamilycelebrationDined on 12/7/2014We had an excellent meal here again: all credit to David Abbott and his colleagues and staff.Special Features:
- Still uniformly goodfoodferretDined on 10/7/2014An excellent lunch, with original dishes all well cooked and served, without fuss or frills.Special Features: