189 Upper Street
MoroccanPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maghreb-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 02072262305
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 6pm - 11.30pm Friday - Saturday 5pm - 11.30pm Sunday 5-10.30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Moroccan
- Executive Chef: Mohamed Faraji
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Moroccan and Mediterranean cuisine
A word from Maghreb
Here at Maghreb our menu offers diners a slice of the true richness and diversity of Moroccan cuisine. For the last thirty years, we have been travelling back and forth between London and northern Morocco, picking the brains of family and friends in order to extend our already considerable repertoire of Moroccan and French cuisine. This enthusiasm has resulted in Mahgreb Moroccan Restaurant and Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maghreb reviews from OpenTable diners
- Full of FlavourLondonLady29Dined on 16/3/2013Went to Maghreb on Saturday night with a group of friends - some non-meat eaters. Helpful staff. Nice cocktails. Lighting too low for middle-aged eyes to read the menu. Decor not exactly stylish and room a bit gloomy because of lighting but service was attentive. Any issues were more than compensated for by the food which was full of flavour and every dish was delicious. The fish tajine was excellent as was the vegetarian meze we ordered as a starter to share. Shame they ran out of one of the desserts we ordered. Wine list had some real treats but the best treat was the bill at the end of the evening which was very modest compared to many other Upper Street restaurants. The food is amongst the best Moroccan we've had in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tremendous taginescatherineVIPDined on 10/3/2013hearty with spicy harissa, mutli-layered with aromatic flavour, warmingly good and excellent Moroccan coffee, lots of vegetarian options - plus pastis (Pernod) available as an aperitif. What more could one want on an arctic London spring evening, thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maghrebsheetsDined on 6/3/2013The food was good with large meat portions and very filling! I would recommend you to visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maghreb highly recommendedstevehutchDined on 1/3/2013Should you already enjoy North African food or want to try something a bit different I would highly recommend the Maghreb in Upper Street Islington for good food and a friendly welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an enjoyable evening..theKatzDined on 23/2/2013This was an enjoyable evening..the food was good, although the duck tagine came on the bone which I wasn't expecting. The service was a friendly but a little slow, we had to ask for our bill three times before it came. I'd recommend it for a quick meal with friends, nothing fancy but the location is good and the food is tasty.Special Features:
- Very averageJacaninaDined on 19/2/2013Good service and average food. Will not return. Just seemed shabby. V empty and no ambiance/ fish tagine just salty gloop, mess starters just a bit rfrigerated and well, gloopy
- not badmikeydavoDined on 16/2/2013The food was good but small portions and a bit over priced. £27 for 2 small lamb kebabs, 2 chicken kebabs, salad and rice. Very dark too. Could hardly see through the red gloom !!
- Warm, friendly and relaxedRegularDinerDined on 15/2/2013Warm, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Excellent food and service. High levels of hygiene. Very impressed - we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly hosts, authentic foodKirstyBDined on 14/2/2013We had the most authentic tagine outside of morocco in Maghreb, beautiful tender meat with aromatic herbs and spices. The Moroccan wine wasn't great but the owner of the restaurant admitted it was 'off' and offered us Moroccan beer instead, which was very good. Very welcoming and accommodating staff , the owner happily chatted to us about his food until we were the last couple in the restaurant. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValentinessineadmuDined on 14/2/2013went for a meal here due to availability. food was good, service did not allow much time for decisions and were constantly pushing for decisions. service was mixed over a few waiters so questions were repeated. good price, chilled environment overall i would recommend it.Special Features:
- A little taste of MoroccogoodfoodloverDined on 30/1/2013My partner and I visited Maghreb for the second time pre-theatre and once again had an excellent meal, great friendly service and we will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well that was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 29/1/2013Wanting to try something new my girlfriend and I looked around for some Moroccan style restaurants, we found Maghreb and it came highly recommended, I can see why. The service was amazing, friendly and polite making sure that we were comfortable and well looked after. As this was our first time at a Moroccan restaurant we were not sure what to expect, the menu was well written and informative regarding what the different foods were and there seemed to be a diverse choice of different foods to try without making the menu seem crowded. The quality of the food was superb, with subtle seasoning mixing in with rich meats creating a beautiful balance of flavours. Overall a beautiful restaurant we would recommend!Special Features:
- First time trying Moroccan foodCaroxaDined on 26/1/2013This was our first time eating Moroccan food and we were impressed, olives, 2 mains, 1 dessert plus bottle of wine and beer for about £60. Food was tasty and recommend the lamb tagine, it was nice and tender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!jcangelDined on 22/1/2013We had an excellent dinner here. Food was delicious and staff were very friendly. I will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dodgy DealLondonistaDined on 4/1/2013Service was very slow - we had to ask three different members of staff to take our order. They did not apply the Toptable offer to the bill. Their reason was that although we stated clearly that we had booked via Toptable, we had not asked for the set menu. I might point out that we did not ask for any menu - we were given menus on arrival. The owner tried to embarrass us in front of other customers, all of which seemed so childlike that we stuck to our guns and he eventually changed the bill. If you go to this restaurant and are happy to wait a long time for uninteresting food, ask for the Toptable menu. This has happened before so I guess it is a trick restaurants play to get free advertising without fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Excellent menu, with goodCliveLDined on 4/1/2013Excellent menu, with good choices of starters and mains (leaving little room for trying any of the desserts on offer). A good range of tagines - different lamb offerings, chicken, fish, rabbit and venison, along with a range of other Moroccan dishes. Very reasonable prices (starter, main and drinks came to around £25 per head).Special Features:
- Food was excellent and veryeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeDined on 30/12/2012Food was excellent and very good value. I had a crab starter and couscous and lamb kebab main. My boyfriend had duck in pastry to start which was also lovely and chicken fillet in a creamy almond sauce as his main. A lovely meal if you've never tried Moroccan food before. We would both recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, cheerful, reasonably pricedVenerableBedeDined on 28/12/2012This restaurant deserves more patrons. They offer an extensive menu of delicious things. Service is quick and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decor - Paint job is prettyleywtsDined on 19/12/2012Decor - Paint job is pretty amateur, colours take the terracotta theme to a new level and this is all then complimented with blue lino on the floor (lino?! was this once a doctor's waiting room??) Staff are absolutely fine - no issues Atmosphere was pretty weak - maybe the sound doesn't carry well in there Food - average (quite bland I thought) and thought the prices a little steep as there are much much better value and better presented places down upper street Overall - cant see this surviving the cut throat upper street restaurant market for very long longer (was quiet even on xmas week). The area does need a Moroccan but this place would need a drastic refit to get it up to the standards of similar restaurants on the same street.
- With a vegan among us, excellentAnnGranDined on 15/12/2012With a vegan among us, excellent options for all in the group. Food good; atmosphere friendly and relaxed. Was able to sit and visit without a feeling of being rushed. A nice night out with friends and good food.Special Features:
- Second visitLiz2606Dined on 14/12/2012I haven't been here for over a year but this place is great for a quick, unplanned dinner. The food isn't fancy but is wholesome and tasty. The service has a very family feel to it and the staff are laid back but attentive. I am a big fan or morrocan food and this is pretty good. The homemade bread is a particular highlight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem in AngelAlexDined on 12/12/2012Organised a birthday surprise dinner at Magreb and I can't recommend this place enough. There was 17 of us and the staff were just brilliant! We all had our food at the same time and no one's glass was ever empty. The food was super tasty. I had the soup for starter and pumpkin and lentil tagine for main. So delicious! A great night with great food and friends...just what the doctor ordered. :-) Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulDonnaKDined on 23/11/2012Magreb's location near the Highbury & Islington Underground Station is just one of its many assets. The set menu--2 courses @ £14.50--is certainly one as well. Nice choices of starters and mains; I had fried goat cheese followed by a lentil and pumpkin tajine, both lovely. Nice wine choices as well, and at the end of the evening with a bottle of wine and the set menu my guest and I split the £48 bill, which included service. Service was lovely--offering to take our coats and hide them away--which is good because the tables are small and closely placed to each other--and attentive, though we had to ask our waitperson to stop filling our wine glasses, a common problem in restaurants. Food was nicely spiced, flavourful and worth returning for.Special Features:
- FabulousBrianSDined on 17/11/2012First time we have eaten here but will be going back. Everything from the meet and greet to the warmed brandy goblet was superb and really excellent value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffFranDined on 17/11/2012The staff here looked after us extremely well, really helped to make the evening special. Food was good, a very wide ranging menu of Moroccan dishes, and pretty good quality food.Special Features:
- Only diners?AngeldinerDined on 13/11/2012We arrived only to find that we would be the only ones dining... never a good sign when a restaurant is empty however we went in (myself an 2 others) regardless and was seated by the window :) I love to people watch! Food was pretty good (I have had better) although a little on the dry side Lamb Tagine melted in my mouth and cous cous was light and fluffy :) Overall a good evening and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maghreb is a hidden gemalibeesonVIPDined on 2/11/2012Really enjoyed our dinner at Maghreb, the service and food was outstanding. The kebabs are magnificent and the prices are great value for money - we would recommend the Marrakech Platter as it was delicious. Would definitely return again!Special Features:
- Very nice food!!! A greatmatroDined on 26/10/2012Very nice food!!! A great place for a very pleasant evening meal and a good chat with a friend. I would say it's not a space designed for a large group.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good howeverJUstDined on 26/10/2012Food was very good however the service wasn't great as they forgotten the water and made a mistake with my main meal. But they quickly verified that. Ambience was great and very cosy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18THOCT2012fufanuDined on 20/10/2012The restaurant is quite cosy and has a relaxed atmosphere with some good decoration. The 2 tagine main courses, lamb and a fish, and prawn starter unfortunately were very bland. The non alcoholic cocktails were excellent.
- A pleasant restaurant, convenientlylowregisterDined on 20/10/2012A pleasant restaurant, conveniently situated for local theatres and concert venues. Friendly staff, good, freshly cooked dishes and a reasonably priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as impressive as usualPalmersDined on 13/10/2012I made my fourth visit to Maghreb this year - this time to celebrate my birthday, but on a busy Friday night, the service did not quite match up to the usually high standard. Having reserved a table, we were sidelined slightly into a not-so-good location and served more slowly than a group who came in just after us with rather too long to wait for the drinks order to be taken. Having said that, this is a very pleasant restaurant with some good dishes on the menu. The soup which we had for a starter was delicious and had a hint of ginger to it. The Moroccan wine was very palatable and also good value at around £14 and all of the food is reasonably priced with a good choice. I would go again but would hope for more attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRegSlaDined on 7/10/2012I would definitely go back. I came here on a few good reviews and it did not disappoint. The food was great, and the people I saw that didn't get tajines it looked absolutely amazing. Definitely am coming back. And the house wine is from Morocco and it's quite nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go with friendsEmmaLucyDined on 6/10/2012I went to Maghreb for dinner with a few friends on a Saturday evening. The lighting was low and the rest of the restaurant full of very large groups so it was pretty loud, but the atmosphere was good. Service was friendly and welcoming, although the full restaurant meant that we occasionally got overlooked. The food was delicious - I had lamb tagine with prunes and it was amazing. Starters were also delicious. We chose from the a la carte menu rather than the set menu but it was still good value. I would recommend this restaurant to groups looking for a good food and a lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- great eveningCharifDined on 6/10/2012great food and atmosphere and reasonably priced. Staff helpful and very good and reasonable wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy and deliciousTerip20Dined on 6/10/2012I truly enjoyed my early birthday dinner for seven adults + a toddler at this cosy place with very friendly service and delicious, reasonably priced Moroccan/Mediterranean food. Very good Moroccan white wine, value for money! (Most probably red as well, but we did not get round to it). My 19-months old granddaughter enjoyed the food and hospitality, too - one of the staff played "peekaboo" with her :)Special Features:
- Alright, but not outstandingBimstarDined on 5/10/2012Although the service was good and the wait staff attentive, I found the food available from the a la carte Toptable menu underwhelming. I have been to other Moroccan places, that were cheaper and sold better tasting food. For the starter I had fried goats cheese with caramelised onion which was very nice. For the main course I had the chicken Tagine which I found to be underwhelming & served too hot meaning I had to wait a long time before I could tuck, not to mention the fact that it was served with very little cous cous.
- Lovely Moroccan mealClaudiaVIPDined on 28/9/2012We went on a Friday night and enjoyed the top table offer - two courses £14.50. The food was really fresh and quite authentic I must say, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We'll definitely go back for another Moroccan adventure :)Special Features:
- Good FoodLoveFood37Dined on 28/9/2012The goats cheese starter was delicious. Choice of tajines for vegetarians and meat-eaters. Went for the a-la-carte menu as there was restricted options on the set menu. Waiters were friendly and great sevice albeit at times bit slow as it got fairly busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjeansteveDined on 27/9/2012The food was wonderful, the people were lovely. Perfect choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.