Malmaison Brasserie - Birmingham
One Wharfside Street
Birmingham, B1 1RDNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
Malmaison Brasserie - Birmingham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.malmaison.com/hotels/birmingham/brasserie.aspx
- Phone: 01212465000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday Lunch Menu: 1pm -4pm on Sunday only.
Please note that this is the only menu available during this timeslot on a Sunday i.e.
A La carte menu is not available until 4pm-10pm on a Sunday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Malmaison Brasserie - Birmingham
Malmaison Brasserie restaurant in Birmingham’s cool shopping and nightlife centre, The Mailbox, has all the sassy styling you’d expect from the Malmaison family (Hotel Group of the Year no less). The masculine styling of the dining room – black floor, dark leather banquettes and upholstery, dark dividers between tables – somehow makes the diners glow. The feeling is buzzy and happening, and why not with servers this friendly, drinks this good and food that aims ever higher. The modern European menu features a top-notch Mal Burger, and Malmaison Brasserie’s exciting Homegrown and Local menu, featuring food ‘from field to plate in no time flat’ is completely seasonal and all produced within thirty miles of the front door. Open from breakfast onwards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malmaison Brasserie - Birmingham reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since 23 October 2013
special occasions (9)business meals (7)romance (7)pre/post theatre (5)fit for foodies (4)group bookings (3)brunch (3)afternoon tea (2)sunday lunch (2)outstanding value (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- amazing steaks!cullenskinkDined on 6/9/2014My husband and I had possibly the best steak we've ever had here last Saturday night. Perfectly cooked, excellent quality meat. The tuna tartare was also outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food 5* / Atmosphere 2*DaveDeeDined on 23/8/2014On the positive side, the food was very good (the tuna tartar in particular deserves stella reviews - a divine plate of fish) and the service & presentation were slick. However, the noise from the adjacent bar was excessive and the room shape and hard surfaces helped to channel this cacophony into the restaurant. Lighting in the restaurant seemed to be controlled by a random level generator - cycling from overly-bright to normal to excessively dim and then back to overly-bright throughout the evening. This random lighting didn't help the ambience of what is a predominantly and overwhelmingly "black space" - black walls and ceilings reinforced with black furnishings - great for Halloween, no doubt, but unattractive for the rest of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Set Menu FailureEatmeDined on 21/7/2014Food good here, but disappointing that the set menu advertised on OpenTable (£40 2 courses for 2 people with wine) didn't exist! When asking the waitress she had no idea of the menu - there was one for the same price, but no wine, so not so good value. I would return, as the food is good - just spent more than I wanted to!Special Features:
- Food and service first classSecretdiner63Dined on 19/7/2014Disappointed with the bill as VAT applied to menu prices at the end , also 10% service charge. Therefore it made it an expensive dining experience! However the food and service was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal at Malmaison,feedmeDined on 5/4/2014We enjoyed our meal at Malmaison, the food was really good and the service was great. Courses came within a reasonable time after ordering and although busy drink orders didn't take to long either. The waiter could explain the dishes to us and minor adjustments to the ordered meals were done without any fuss. If i had to pick one thing that could have been better it was i felt the restaurant area was a bit to noisy, the lively bar waiting area (which was a pleasant place to have pre meal drinks) over powered the eating area with its music and chat, but that really wasn't to bad. in summery a lovely place, great food and welcoming staff. Winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeRiriDined on 9/3/2014Lovely place, shame they didn't appear to have the booking on their system. Fortunately had email so all was rectified quickly.Special Features:
- Not the best...TheDarkEaterDined on 21/2/2014Staff are SO miserable and unwelcoming. Arrived and they said table were not ready, even though we were there bang on time. No free drink for having to wait, instantly irked! After 20 mins went to check in desk and they said my booking didn;t exist, even after I showed them the email confirmation on my phone she still didn't believe me! Took AGES to get drinks deilvered.
- ValentinesJasDhaliwalDined on 14/2/2014We went here for our valentines dinner, and were very impressed with the food and service. The fixed menu gave enough choice, and food was of a great quality and our waiter did eveything he could to accomdate us. Even asked the chef to make me a creme brulee when the chocolate dessert i wanted was no longer available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJaf66Dined on 8/2/2014What a great place, a fabulous restaurant from beginning with a drink in the bar best mojitos to the food in the restaurant. Service was great and the food divine. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.MogsDined on 26/1/2014This is my third visit for Sunday lunch and once again the food was outstanding. However I would say the dining room is looking a bit tired.Special Features:
- malmaisonMagsDined on 10/1/2014I loved the relaxed feel to this restaurant. the staff were very friendly. the food was delicious. the lollipop chicken start was to die for. I will definately be returning. cocktails were great.Special Features:
- Very poor service and much too expeBJohDined on 7/12/2013Too expensive for such small portions, with poor service. Starter of salmon was 1 sq inch of shredded salmon at £9!!! Vegetables with mains had to be asked for 3 times!! Whe meal was over within an hour, not much of a dining experience in my opinion We won't be going again. Enough said!!
- DisappointingHydeDined on 23/11/2013Booked a table for 6 for a late lunch. The place looked very run down and in need of a facelift, the restaurant was very dark and not a very pleasant place to eat, the food was very tasty but the Ambience and decor was disappointing.
- Table by the kitchen entranceGWR66Dined on 26/10/2013Bar rammed and very loud which carried through to restaurant. During drinks before ordering the kids counted 5 meals going back. Maitre d' sat chatting on next table for 2 for 25+ mins seemingly oblivious. Food nothing special for £40+ per head. Service very slow. Ran out of their wine so tried to talk us up £20 a bottle for a £5.99 selling at £30 (x3 = £60) - very persistent. Some places would have offered alternative at same price.
- The following 218 reviews are from the Malmaison Brasserie - Birmingham reviews archive.
- Lovely food/service strangeMogsDined on 29/9/2013Great food however service left a lot to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt unwelcomenotmutchgoodDined on 21/7/2013Arrived a bit early for 6pm booking, greeted by a barman who reluctantly asked us if we wanted a drink; alas no dry sherry! No restaurant staff in sight and barman informed us Chef didn't start until 6pm, which was surprising as website indicated a la carte was available from 4pm. Completely ignored by restaurant greeter at 6.05pm who started to walk away as we approached dining room. Wine waiter brought menus and disappeared. Starter arrived at 6.40pm and admittedly the food was good; lobster starter good, chicken parfait bland, fig relish lovely. Duck mains excellent. Very good wine! Saviour of experence was the young waiter - attentive and charming. Grudged service charge as rest of service poor. Will not be making a return visit.
- happyeaterhappydinerDined on 16/2/2013Went on a Saturday night and the whole place was buzzing. The service was very good, attentive but not too intrusive. The food was beautifully presented and of a really good quality. Would thoroughly recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner on a FridaygpthedrDined on 25/1/2013Staff were very pleasant. Arrived about 15 mins after our TopTable booking but instead of ushering us to our table we had time to have a drink at the well stocked bar. I had the lamb & my partner the Thai Curry (equally good). However no food envy this eve! Both were very good. A tad on the expensive side once a bottle of very acceptable Merlot was put on as well. But for pre-drinks, mains & desserts & wine I reckon the £100 mark was about right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant establishmentFoodie10VIPDined on 2/11/2012The ambience both in the bar and restaurant was great. The food was well prepared but the service left a bit to be desired. One of my party ordered a mixed salad with their steak which was forgotten! In general, the service was haphazard as there appeared to be too many waiting staff looking after a table.Special Features:
- The food was great and theJoeyDined on 12/10/2012The food was great and the service was attentive without being obtrusive- but we expected 50% off food and were told this was only available before 7.30- this is not stated in the terms on Toptable so this ruined what would otherwise have been a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got a 50% off food billNickyDined on 12/10/2012We got a 50% off food bill deal so this was a great opportunity to try it and was really pleased with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm welcomeWillieDined on 12/10/2012The chioce for the deal we were on was limited. That said the food was excellent and good value for money. It was a bit tight on time for pre theatre dinner as they don't open until 6.00pm. Would recommend it and will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Girlie Get-togethergoosepimpleDined on 11/10/2012I met up with a couple of friends I hadn't see all year and proposed Malmaison hoping it would be a good choice. I am delighted to say we had a fabulous meal. The service is very good and the food all tasted wonderful (not massive portions though!). Wine expensive - but you've got to expect that from a top-notch hotel restaurant, All in all a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value if you select carefullyElsterDined on 7/10/2012Still a nice place , toast the roast Sunday lunch excellent value Drinks pricey now , wine by the glass is verging on robbery but the food is great Always go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but overpricedTommynoshDined on 6/10/2012We booked a dinner for four after the theatre and the restaurant had a lively atmosphere although the level of the music from the bar area was quite loud which made conversation difficult. The food and service were good but not great for the price and we have eaten bettter for less in Birmingham. Good place for a party.
- Dinner at MalmaisonLornaDined on 5/10/2012Ate here Friday night - the restaurant was very busy and the service was a little slow but the waitress made up for it by offering us free bread and olives and keeping us informed about when our meal would be ready. The food was delicious. Excellent starters and the steaks we had for main were cooked beautifully. Was fantastic value as we had a 50% booking. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value offerExcitableVIPDined on 5/10/2012The 50% off a la carte food offer made the top-priced 28 days-hung steak very good value indeed. It was excellent. A crab stater was poor. The experience recommended overallI would recommend this to a friend.
- good food shame about the servicesweetieDined on 1/10/2012i had the half chicken and my partner had the steak. the food was amazing. if i could i would tip only the chef. The service was very poor though, perhaps it was because we were using the 50% discount from top table. Other diners that came way after us got served quicker. At one point i had to get up and ask for the dessert menu, and had to get up and ask for the bill, FYI it was not particularly busy. I have been to Malmaison before without any offers and the service was pretty good. iwould go back again because the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super lunch venueLuckyVIPDined on 28/9/2012The Malmaison brasserie was a great place for lunch. The food and service were excellent, and the surroundings are really nice. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, and the food was fresh and delicious. We will definitely go back, and would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceLJ23Dined on 21/9/2012The Malmasion is very low lit but i loved this as it provided a nice intimate meal for me & my partner. We both had the chicken skewers to start which we both enjoyed. But i was let down with my main, i ordered the baby rack of ribs which was tasteless possibility the worst i have had. Service was great to start with but then we was never offered any drinks when ours had ran out and it took a while to clear our plates away so didn't get to ask for any so we had to go the bar to get our drinks. However i feel it was great valve with the 50% off and would try it again but try something else for my main dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malmaison BirminghamWineNdine03Dined on 21/9/2012The restaurant was very impressive in its decor and the staff were very friendly when seating us but we did seem to be forgotten after being sat down. The food however was excellent and the cocktails were the best we had tasted. Not sure the value for money would have been worth it had we not booked on a 50% off evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvement!!ScranScrutiniserDined on 18/9/2012The place was far from busy, I'd say around 20% full but despite this we were seated near an exceedingly loud and boisterous table which wasn't pleasant. Drinks and starters were delivered promptly but the wait for our main course was over 45mins sadly. Thai green king prawn curry was ok - lovely prawns and sauce but aubergines were under cooked and the jasmine rice was so soggy it was more like a rice pudding. Replacement rice was plain boiled rice clearly straight from the microwave. Attempting to get the staff's attention for the bill was also a ball ache as they seemed far more interested in chit-chatting. The only real saving grace from it all was the 50% off food offer, but on the whole it was a thumbs down
- my review.fuzzyduckDined on 12/9/2012i have very little to say but even though there was 50% off the food i could have had similiar types of food at other restaurants, without the need for the discount. There was limited choice in the menu and i saw people with dishes that were not on my menu. altogether a supposed special night not so special.
- TT deal was excellent valueEatLondonVIPDined on 3/9/201250% off was a great deal. Very much brasserie style but the food was delicious. Try the crab starter. Very nice.Special Features:
- Teeangers Birthday MealTorHDined on 30/8/2012Visited the Brasserie at Malmaison as a last minute treat for my teenage niece and my two small children. Our table was booked for 6pm and we took advantage of the 50% off deal. They have a kids menu but its not truly child friendly, the soup was 'spiced' and the salad covered in dressing - my kids aren't fussy but neither choice won them over. However the food that my niece and I ordered was great. My one niggle with the restaurant was the fact that the waiting staff were bickering with each-other about who served which table and talking about other staff who had been 'disciplined' and not offered further hours for a period of time. It was not a seamless team working together - sloppy for Malmaison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent value and quality.AlbertDined on 26/8/20122nd times in a week for dinner. Excellent value for 50% offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience a little loud butDavieboyeramaDined on 24/8/2012Ambience a little loud but OK. Food good (but why don't they print a sheet of specials rather than telling you?) and (at half price) very good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerLemonpipDined on 24/8/2012I booked this venue for my partner and I and said that he was vegetarian. We were a little disappointed with the lack of choice. The starter was very unimaginative, we asked if we could have a half portion of a main dish as the starter but we were told no. It was an overall ok experience, and I would go back, but they could do with having more adventurism with their dishes, especially the vegetarian ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValuefoodloverDined on 24/8/2012Fantastic value for money. Good steaks. Yummy chocolate fondant. Definately worth a visit...and with 50% off I will be back very soon!Special Features:
- Good value with the offerMartonVIPDined on 22/8/2012A meeting with a colleague over dinner. Good value good food, the offer wasn't applied at first but there were profuse apologies for that. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.